molitvic20
Topic Author

American Airlines 737 winglets

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 pm

So Delta, Southwest, and United, and almost every other 737 carrier in the world has install scimitar winglet... why not American?

Runway28L

Re: American Airlines 737 winglets

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:55 pm

This has been discussed in numerous threads. The basic gist of it is AA likely doesn't believe that the costs associated with installing the scimitars is enough too warrant the extra fuel savings given how their 737 fleet is utilized.

And to say that "almost every 737 carrier in the world" has had them installed isn't necessarily true. There are still a ton of 737NG operators out there that have not gone for the scimitar mod such as Ryanair, Qantas, Turkish, KLM, Virgin Australia, Norwegian, and the majority of Chinese carriers.

bond787

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Not sure if this is the most recent thread on this topic on A.net:

viewtopic.php?t=1351467

FlightLevel360

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Well, given that AA management is notoriously cheap, I don't expect that they would be approving big spending decisions at the time.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

BoeingGuy

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:59 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
Well, given that AA management is notoriously cheap, I don't expect that they would be approving big spending decisions at the time.

Sure they are. They are spending tons of money to reduce the seat pitch on the 737-800s and A321s to a God awful 30” and continue their unfortunate decline to the least desirable non-ULCC in the US.

I just flew a pmAA A319 and it was pretty bad. My 5’ 3” girlfriend felt cramped.

AS, WN, and DL 737s are much more comfortable.

See, AA is certainly willing to spend money. ;)

77H

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:41 am

Runway28L wrote:
This has been discussed in numerous threads. The basic gist of it is AA likely doesn't believe that the costs associated with installing the scimitars is enough too warrant the extra fuel savings given how their 737 fleet is utilized.

And to say that "almost every 737 carrier in the world" has had them installed isn't necessarily true. There are still a ton of 737NG operators out there that have not gone for the scimitar mod such as Ryanair, Qantas, Turkish, KLM, Virgin Australia, Norwegian, and the majority of Chinese carriers.

Also important to note that DL and WN don’t have scimitars installed on all variants either. I believe AS and UA are the only airlines that plan to or have installed them fleet wide, contrary to the OPs assertion. As you mention, In those other threads it was agreed the most likely reason is that AA and DL for that matter tend to use their 737 variants on shorter stage lengths than AS or UA when averaged out, thus preventing AA or DL from recieving a higher ROI. The OP should consider that it’s not just the purchase price of the mods or added weight but the loss of revenue for each plan during conversion which I believe is 2 days minimum. If a 73 can do 5-7 flights in a day, that is serious loss on potential revenue. All these things must be factored in.

77H

AA747123

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:46 pm

[*]
FlightLevel360 wrote:

Correction, America West management is notoriously cheap. AA does not exist anymore. it is America West Holdings DBA American Airlines.

PI4EVER

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:36 pm

The 737-8MAX has scimitar's as factory fresh deliveries. Just flew on one and survived the potential for a crash, poor service, surly employee attitudes or a delay. Quite the contrary, a very nice flight with great crew, on time operation and a clean, fresh new cabin. At 5'11" my knees were not crushed or mangled and I was not sexually assaulted in the tight seating space.
This constant dribble about AA, Doug Parker, and "race to the bottom" is tiresome. Pick any day and you'll find an airline/any airline that doesn't pull it off seamlessly. Who will be hated next week?
And some of this dribble is exaggerated, untrue and unnecessary.
I've flown 6 segments on AA since October 10. Not one situation to complain about. Flights were on time, staff were personable (even in PHL) and every flight departed the gate early and arrived early (even to/from PHL) with clean planes and not one surly unhappy miserable employee interacting with us. I am flying again on Sat and expect the same. If things get bumpy we'll deal with it.
watch what you want. you may get it.

rbavfan

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Runway28L wrote:

Norwegian & Turkish surprises me due to flight lengths being long.

rbavfan

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:56 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:

Sure they are. They are spending tons of money to reduce the seat pitch on the 737-800s and A321s to a God awful 30” and continue their unfortunate decline to the least desirable non-ULCC in the US.

I just flew a pmAA A319 and it was pretty bad. My 5’ 3” girlfriend felt cramped.

Sadly people are more concerned with the cheapest flight, not becoming a travel Pretzel. Until that changes were all screwed. Mind you AA (HP-US-AA) started the charge for everything for legacies.
Last edited by rbavfan on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightLevel360

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm

rbavfan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:

Sadly people are more concerned with the cheapest flight, not becoming a travel Pretzel. Until that changes were all screwed. Mind you AA started the charge for everything for legacies.

Not just AA. Whenever someone introduces a cost-lowering disruption it will kick off a domino chain.

But I completely agree with you. Travelers need to get rid of this "cheapest flight possible" mentality in order to us to enjoy more comfortable flights.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

richiemo

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 pm

I for one am glad AA hasn't replaced the original 737 winglets. The 737 is ugly enough without those stupid scimitar winglets.

OB1504

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:56 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Sadly people are more concerned with the cheapest flight, not becoming a travel Pretzel. Until that changes were all screwed. Mind you AA started the charge for everything for legacies.

Not just AA. Whenever someone introduces a cost-lowering disruption it will kick off a domino chain.

But I completely agree with you. Travelers need to get rid of this "cheapest flight possible" mentality in order to us to enjoy more comfortable flights.

Or you can just pay the extra for a seat with more legroom or choose a different airline with a better product that suits your needs. There's no need to force everyone else to pay for the things you value that others might not.

That being said, I hate the 737 MAX configuration (that, and whatever other surprises like MCAS Boeing might have thrown in) and don't book flights on it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos