• 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 11
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 pm

skipness1E wrote:
That's Iberia with a Green filter, and actually not too bad looking.
Of course if IB and EI look like this, will BA conform (!?)

It would be similar but then so is every livery with a white fuselage and painted tail, if anything it sounds more like the new Lufthansa or if you're looking for an IAG link, Level.
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm

So going forward it will be difficult to spot EI at the airport among all the euro whites. It was slways nice to see the shades of green and blue, especially the previous brand with the white shamrock
Not sure it will be to everyone's liking!!!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23431
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:52 pm

eirflot wrote:
Not sure it will be to everyone's liking!!!


Indeed it will not be getting the hype that the current one did back in the 90's. I still have the promo brochures from it. Very hard to match that iconic launch.


Image
.
Image
.

Image
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm

eirflot wrote:
Not sure it will be to everyone's liking!!!

That goes without saying. Almost any change, no matter how big or small, is usually met with some level of resistance at first.

The 'green top' livery has been around in two variations since the late 70s so going to a majority white scheme is bound to be a shock to the system for some of us but like with everything, people get use to it and move on, many even grow to like it. I'll miss the green top livery, it was a standout and while some aspects were dated, I still think it did a wonderful job.

It's worth remembering that even the "iconic" current livery was the subject of at least some ridicule at the time of its unveiling.
 
KLDC10
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:32 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
eirflot wrote:
Not sure it will be to everyone's liking!!!

That goes without saying. Almost any change, no matter how big or small, is usually met with some level of resistance at first.

The 'green top' livery has been around in two variations since the late 70s so going to a majority white scheme is bound to be a shock to the system for some of us but like with everything, people get use to it and move on, many even grow to like it. I'll miss the green top livery, it was a standout and while some aspects were dated, I still think it did a wonderful job.

It's worth remembering that even the "iconic" current livery was the subject of at least some ridicule at the time of its unveiling.


The Green Top is an important part of Aer Lingus' brand. It could certainly use an update, but to get rid of it would be a huge mistake. Like KLM ridding themselves of the blue top.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 pm

If the green top does go, then KLM will be the remaining all over livery! What a shame!
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

OA260 wrote:
An article from the time:

Aer Lingus puts poetry in motion as new corporate identity takes to the runway

PAUL O'KANE Thu, Feb 15, 1996

AER Lingus has unveiled a corporate image to be introduced over the next two years at a cost of about £8 million.

The central element of the redesign, launched at a reception in Dublin Airport yesterday morning, is a new look for the airline's famous shamrock logo.

The shamrock is a softer shade of green than its predecessor, has been slightly stretched, has acquired a stem and leans a little to the right.

Aer Lingus has more than 2,000 separate branded items and during the next two years each will be changed to sport the new logo. Signs and corporate literature have already been altered, while the interiors and exteriors of the company's 29 aircraft will be redecorated in rotation as planes are taken out of service for maintenance overhauls.

Ireland's literary heritage has also contributed to the airline's new identity. Twenty four passages of prose and poetry from 14 Irish writers feature heavily in the redesign.

These authors include W.B. Yeats, Seamus Heaney, Edna Doyle, Patrick Kavanagh and Aogan O'Rathaille.

Lines from James Connolly and Patrick Pearse are also used but, perhaps surprisingly, James Joyce is not among the chosen few.

The excerpts are woven into the fabric of seat covers, blankets and carpets and will also be printed on items such as menu cards and ticket holders. Some passages were chosen because of their suitability for certain elements within the Aer Lingus range of products.

Menu cards for example will be inscribed with Oscar Wilde's famous line "I can resist every thing except temptation." It is not yet known if one of Wilde's other well known quotes "To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance" will be inscribed on the bathroom mirrors.

The first aircraft to be painted in the new livery, an Airbus A330, was on show at a breakfast reception for 500 invited guests held in the TEAM hangar at Dublin Airport. The newly fitted out aircraft, which will operate on the transatlantic route, later flew to Cork and Shannon for separate functions at both airports.

The design contract was awarded to the British company, Luxon Carra, which specialises in aircraft livery work. The exact fee paid to Luxon Carra has not been disclosed by Aer Lingus, but aviation industry sources said it was "a six figure sum".

The cost of implementing the new look is £8 million, but Aer Lingus said about half of that would have been incurred over the next two years had it kept its old image.

The Aer Lingus chief executive, Mr Gary McGann, said that the old image had served the company well for 20 years but was now "fragmented and tired and in need of revitalisation".

The new look "retains what is best and most representative of Aer Lingus, and introduces new elements that are fresh, relevant, distinctive and unique", he added.

While the new image was a major investment in the company's future, Mr McGann said, Aer Lingus would not forget "the perilous state" from which it has just emerged.

After the ceremonies at Dublin and Cork, the Aer Lingus Airbus returned to the transatlantic base at Shannon Airport where the Bishop of Killaloe, Dr Willie Walsh, performed a blessing ceremony.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/aer-ling ... ay-1.30143


Very interesting read, I had no idea that an EI A330 visited ORK. I'll have to have a look for old photos of the visit.
 
by738
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 pm

.... Dr Willie Walsh ?!
 
SoCalPilot
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 pm

eirflot wrote:
If the green top does go, then KLM will be the remaining all over livery! What a shame!

Except there's still Air Tahiti Nui, Southwest, S7, Korean Air, Azerbaijan, Royal Jordanian, Qatar, Vietnam, just to name a few...
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8301
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Bricktop wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
The brand refresh is more than a livery, but the entire look and feel alongside how the airline communicates to its customers in every location, from booking to bag tag.

The EI livery looks great on the aircraft, but the brand, logo and font struggles with web and screen application where it looks decidedly old fashioned.

Look at how well Delta’s brand shines in terminal and on screen. Compare that to EI, which is too green, boxed in and meh.

As I’ve said before, 90% of us will hate the livery, and then we will love it over time when we see it in practical locations. Just like the last EI logo and livery changes.


Perfectly said!

Same corporate-speak that gave us the LH travesty.


The corporate speak is reality. The uses of a brand refresh are so different now in comparison to the last rebrand.

Consider the BMI rebranding - even the music onboard was changed to be modern and fresh with the new brand.

I’m excited to see how well they roll out the new look and feel online, where most of the important decisions are made.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

I'll be flying out of DUB on the 17th! Would be nice to spot the bird in new colors if they unveil it there.
@DadCelo
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 pm

When I said all that would remain with an all over livery I was thinking of the near Europe and EIs competition.
It will be.inyeresting to see what EI do - wow factor or dogs dinner! Thankfully i am not a betting man!!!
 
ELBOB
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 am

The real stand-out in a sea of Dublin Eurowhite will be Ryanair! Intriguing that they went from an early version of Eurowhite to a more traditional linear livery, and seem to be sticking with it.

But I suppose the usual apologists will emerge telling us that "it doesn't matter how the aeroplane is painted". Which is nonsense of course, otherwise airlines would just make do with a coat of anti-corrosion grey and an operator's sticker beside the door.
 
OlafW
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am

OA260 wrote:
An article from the time:

Aer Lingus puts poetry in motion as new corporate identity takes to the runway

PAUL O'KANE Thu, Feb 15, 1996

AER Lingus has unveiled a corporate image to be introduced over the next two years at a cost of about £8 million.

The central element of the redesign, launched at a reception in Dublin Airport yesterday morning, is a new look for the airline's famous shamrock logo.

The shamrock is a softer shade of green than its predecessor, has been slightly stretched, has acquired a stem and leans a little to the right.

Aer Lingus has more than 2,000 separate branded items and during the next two years each will be changed to sport the new logo. Signs and corporate literature have already been altered, while the interiors and exteriors of the company's 29 aircraft will be redecorated in rotation as planes are taken out of service for maintenance overhauls.

Ireland's literary heritage has also contributed to the airline's new identity. Twenty four passages of prose and poetry from 14 Irish writers feature heavily in the redesign.

These authors include W.B. Yeats, Seamus Heaney, Edna Doyle, Patrick Kavanagh and Aogan O'Rathaille.

Lines from James Connolly and Patrick Pearse are also used but, perhaps surprisingly, James Joyce is not among the chosen few.

The excerpts are woven into the fabric of seat covers, blankets and carpets and will also be printed on items such as menu cards and ticket holders. Some passages were chosen because of their suitability for certain elements within the Aer Lingus range of products.

Menu cards for example will be inscribed with Oscar Wilde's famous line "I can resist every thing except temptation." It is not yet known if one of Wilde's other well known quotes "To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance" will be inscribed on the bathroom mirrors.

The first aircraft to be painted in the new livery, an Airbus A330, was on show at a breakfast reception for 500 invited guests held in the TEAM hangar at Dublin Airport. The newly fitted out aircraft, which will operate on the transatlantic route, later flew to Cork and Shannon for separate functions at both airports.

The design contract was awarded to the British company, Luxon Carra, which specialises in aircraft livery work. The exact fee paid to Luxon Carra has not been disclosed by Aer Lingus, but aviation industry sources said it was "a six figure sum".

The cost of implementing the new look is £8 million, but Aer Lingus said about half of that would have been incurred over the next two years had it kept its old image.

The Aer Lingus chief executive, Mr Gary McGann, said that the old image had served the company well for 20 years but was now "fragmented and tired and in need of revitalisation".

The new look "retains what is best and most representative of Aer Lingus, and introduces new elements that are fresh, relevant, distinctive and unique", he added.

While the new image was a major investment in the company's future, Mr McGann said, Aer Lingus would not forget "the perilous state" from which it has just emerged.

After the ceremonies at Dublin and Cork, the Aer Lingus Airbus returned to the transatlantic base at Shannon Airport where the Bishop of Killaloe, Dr Willie Walsh, performed a blessing ceremony.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/aer-ling ... ay-1.30143


It'll be interesting to see how many of the marketing speech lines above will be used again when unveiling the new identity... My bet is on at least "need of revitalisation" and "new elements that are fresh, relevant, distinctive and unique"
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am

by738 wrote:
.... Dr Willie Walsh ?!


The Bishop of Killaloe ? :lol:
 
cc2314
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am

With Ei not being the biggest airline how long do they expect to have the entire fleet repainted?
I believe the uniforms were designed in France or at least the material was sourced there.The change in branding is free press for them,im hoping it will be an improvement on an already nice colour scheme.
Deleted
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am

I think you're right, the digital version of the brand will be of great importance. The trend is for very flat, Sans font. LEVEL is an extreme version, it barely has a logo. Just a green/blue square.

BestWestern wrote:
Consider the BMI rebranding - even the music onboard was changed to be modern and fresh with the new brand.

I’m excited to see how well they roll out the new look and feel online, where most of the important decisions are made.


As much as I loved the bmi British Midland branding and livery, enough money was never spent (maybe available) to make the most of it and have a truly coherent brand. bmi never redesigned the uniforms, for example the hats and name badges were still diamond shaped to the end. The blouses were also a very old fashioned cut, with big 80s lapels. The aircraft cabins sported all kinds of looks, some cloth, leather and the infamous black wallpaper one forum member described as "ex-girlfriends knickers". In any case, those beautiful aircraft weren't enough to save the airline.
 
F27500
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 pm

LTenEleven wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
b4thefall wrote:


Can you give us any further info?


Not really my place to disclose before the announcement but, there's not much green!


Probably also not your place to share that you've seen it or that there's not much green, but that didn't stop you.


He;s full of it. He hasn't seen anything.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm guessing it will be an after dark operation to tow the aircraft from Hanger 3 to Aer Lingus' Hanger 6 for the media event.

The current brand was unveiled there and is now the head office for the airline.

https://vimeo.com/103853470

The brand reveal back in 1996 was quite a show.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Black, gold, and green would make a killer combo, but likely it’ll end up being mostly white with some green.
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 am

S0Y wrote:
FUTURA wrote:
I suppose as Iberia has a livery which could be applied to the rest of the group, if IAG wanted to they could align the livery whilst retaining the individual brands (and possibly revisiting flavours of old favourites....). Very crude ideas below. Although not part of the group, Finnair looks very good IMO.
famous poems about running


I know its subjective, but these are terrible. Agree the best of the lot is AY, but that might be to do with their current (yawn) livery.

Sadly, I fear the new EI livery will not be a million miles away from this.

Please not this. It is fugly (pardon my French). After MH, MU and IB minimalist rebranding disaster (subjective), I do think we don't need another euro-white livery. Is paint that expensive? Maybe costly to operate lol. Coincidentally IB and BI rebranding was done by Interbrand. While BI grew on me over the years, IB is just missing something.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
NickWebb
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 am

F27500 wrote:
LTenEleven wrote:
NickWebb wrote:

Not really my place to disclose before the announcement but, there's not much green!


Probably also not your place to share that you've seen it or that there's not much green, but that didn't stop you.


He;s full of it. He hasn't seen anything.


Oh yes I have!
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

People on the BOSTON thread say something is happening here. What's that all about? Does it mean the likely first destination of the newly-branded plane will be BOS?
 
F27500
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 pm

NickWebb wrote:
F27500 wrote:
LTenEleven wrote:

Probably also not your place to share that you've seen it or that there's not much green, but that didn't stop you.


He;s full of it. He hasn't seen anything.


Oh yes I have!



We do not believe you.
 
NickWebb
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:17 pm

F27500 wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
F27500 wrote:

He;s full of it. He hasn't seen anything.


Oh yes I have!



We do not believe you.


You don't have to believe me and I'm not asking you to, but you won't like the result all the same!
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg
 
conflats
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm

chrisnh wrote:
People on the BOSTON thread say something is happening here. What's that all about? Does it mean the likely first destination of the newly-branded plane will be BOS?
EI-EDY is supposed to operate the EI109 service to JFK on the afternoon of the 17th last time I heard.

On related subject EI-CVA is in Shannon being painted and the next planned one it EI-DVM which is in retro colours to enter the paint shop on the 16/17th

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1357
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Aer Lingus should add a daytime flight BOS-DUB.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am

Paul Buckley, Head of Social at Aer Lingus has indicated that EI-DVM, the Retro, isn’t going anywhere.

In an exchange on Twitter he replied to a user who had shared a Change.org petition set up to keep the retrojet flying (yes, really) and stated there was no need for such a petition. When asked if that meant the retrojet would be around for years to come he simply replied “yup” much to the delight of the retrojet fan!

It’s been rumoured since before the rebrand announcement that EI-DVM was to be repainted this year as part of the normal paint schedule. It was delivered in its retro colours back in 2011 and is in need of a freshening up. I guess we’ll find out what really happens after next week.
 
tonystan
Posts: 1656
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 am

Well DVM has been flying about the last day.

So the big question should be....Which aircraft will be the big reveal?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Paul Buckley, Head of Social at Aer Lingus has indicated that EI-DVM, the Retro, isn’t going anywhere.

In an exchange on Twitter he replied to a user who had shared a Change.org petition set up to keep the retrojet flying (yes, really) and stated there was no need for such a petition. When asked if that meant the retrojet would be around for years to come he simply replied “yup” much to the delight of the retrojet fan!

It’s been rumoured since before the rebrand announcement that EI-DVM was to be repainted this year as part of the normal paint schedule. It was delivered in its retro colours back in 2011 and is in need of a freshening up. I guess we’ll find out what really happens after next week.


Hopefully it’ll be like AC’s A319 TCA 60th anniversary livery that’s had a couple of repaints since 1997.

eirflot wrote:
When I said all that would remain with an all over livery I was thinking of the near Europe and EIs competition.
It will be.inyeresting to see what EI do - wow factor or dogs dinner! Thankfully i am not a betting man!!!


It’s ironic eh how the perceived penny-pinching ULCCs like Ryanair, Wizz, etc have the most colourful/costliest (best) liveries compared with the crap so many legacies now sport.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm

NickWebb wrote:
Oh yes I have!


Oh no you haven't!


Is it still pantomine season? :lol:
 
eicvd
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm

tonystan wrote:
Well DVM has been flying about the last day.

So the big question should be....Which aircraft will be the big reveal?

Skyliner reports it as EI-CVA
COYBIB
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pm

eicvd wrote:
tonystan wrote:
Well DVM has been flying about the last day.

So the big question should be....Which aircraft will be the big reveal?

Skyliner reports it as EI-CVA

Indeed, CVA positioned to SNN on Wednesday
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Brace yourselves...

Image

Apparently this is a leak of the new livery, it's not confirmed to be *the* new livery but it is a leak.

The overall design is what I expected, not too bothered with that but the new shamrock and those titles?! Complete mess. The shamrock looks like silly, almost childlike while the titles aren't much better. If they wanted clean and fresh, they should have gone for the Aer Club design in billboard titles and kept the current shamrock. Can you imagine that shamrock on Business Class branding?!

Again, this isn't confirmed and we know airlines consider lots of designs before settling on the final choice so the finished product could be different...here's hoping at least!
 
4engines4lnghll
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:25 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:09 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Brace yourselves...

Image

Apparently this is a leak of the new livery, it's not confirmed to be *the* new livery but it is a leak.

The overall design is what I expected, not too bothered with that but the new shamrock and those titles?! Complete mess. The shamrock looks like silly, almost childlike while the titles aren't much better. If they wanted clean and fresh, they should have gone for the Aer Club design in billboard titles and kept the current shamrock. Can you imagine that shamrock on Business Class branding?!

Again, this isn't confirmed and we know airlines consider lots of designs before settling on the final choice so the finished product could be different...here's hoping at least!


IAG pending?
4engines4lnghll
 
Antarius
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Brace yourselves...

Image

Apparently this is a leak of the new livery, it's not confirmed to be *the* new livery but it is a leak.

The overall design is what I expected, not too bothered with that but the new shamrock and those titles?! Complete mess. The shamrock looks like silly, almost childlike while the titles aren't much better. If they wanted clean and fresh, they should have gone for the Aer Club design in billboard titles and kept the current shamrock. Can you imagine that shamrock on Business Class branding?!

Again, this isn't confirmed and we know airlines consider lots of designs before settling on the final choice so the finished product could be different...here's hoping at least!


The shamrock is comically bad.

The rest of the livery is better than expected. Was scared they go totally white. The green engines makes a world of difference.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX
 
KLDC10
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Ah, I'm afraid I find that appalling.

The font is bad and the shamrock is worse. It looks like it should be plastered above the entrance to a cheap Irish bar, or perhaps on a children's cereal box - "Lucky the Leprechaun's Morning Mix" or something to that effect.. The incoherent use of three shades of green also doesn't help matters.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:44 pm

If there's a hint of metallic hue about the green, like Virgin red or Air Transat blue it could work. Otherwise it's a bit meh...
 
User avatar
Faro
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:08 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Thank God the green is staying...no more of the dreaded Eurowhite...


Faro
The chalice not my son
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:30 pm

NickWebb wrote:
Oh yes I have!


Well, is this what you saw?
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4468
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

The two shades of green don’t look great....
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Faro wrote:
Thank God the green is staying...no more of the dreaded Eurowhite...


Faro

But this Aer Lingus livery, if correct, introduces a huge swathe of Eurowhite !
 
User avatar
IrishTexan
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Imho the side profile could use shamrock logos on the wingtips and/or engines.
Also, is the aircraft reg. very far forward on the fuselage?
 
GuruJanitor
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 pm

As someone with a design background, the only two things that makes me doubt this are, 1, no internal watermark, and 2, the shamrock is literally the current design flipped horizontally and looks like its being blown or pushed by the wind. The current shamrock is “fightinging” the wind and subtly implies strength. This implies...weakness.
 
EISHN
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:54 pm

I have a hard time believing this to be the actual new livery/branding. While we've heard that there may be two shades of green in use, isn't the predominant color meant to be more of a teal, rather than this dark green?
I think we're also likely to see a change in front for the titles rather than keeping the old one. And that shamrock is too comical and childish looking. I doubt they'll change the current shamrock much, unless they to change the color or shading, but likely keep the basic shape.
Personally I think the biggest indication of where the brand is headed is seen in AERCLUB branding. The use of a shamrock silhouette/outline, helvitic font (or something similar) and the use of teal. This supposed livery looks messy to me, I think the new livery/branding is going to be much cleaner looking.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky
 
User avatar
Faro
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:08 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Faro wrote:
Thank God the green is staying...no more of the dreaded Eurowhite...


Faro

But this Aer Lingus livery, if correct, introduces a huge swathe of Eurowhite !



Yes :( :( :( ...I posted before scolling down and seeing the abomination...Eurowhite is a scourge on the industry as well as the eyes...


Faro
The chalice not my son
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pm

I don't get why people hate this so much. Tbh the only problem I see is the font (and its size for christ's sake make it a bit bigger) and the shamrock. But overall it's a good enough design, and in my (very controversial) opinion, a major improvement over the abomination that flies today
A350/CSeries = bae
 
vahancrazy
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:00 am

OA940 wrote:
I don't get why people hate this so much. Tbh the only problem I see is the font (and its size for christ's sake make it a bit bigger) and the shamrock. But overall it's a good enough design, and in my (very controversial) opinion, a major improvement over the abomination that flies today


I agree with you on the font and size.

Shamrock as everyone said is now a leaf down the sink.


It is a contemporanea style with a bit of personality. It should work fine. Although... if they would have update the existing one ala KLM would have been nice too.
 
mullac30
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am

The rumoured livery is nice imo. The only problem I see is the similarity between this and Thomas Cooks and Air Transats livery.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Last edited by mullac30 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 am

mullac30 wrote:
The new livery is nice imo.


Have you seen it?
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos