Galwayman

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:49 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

This is easily the best phot shop effort in circulation but obviously needs the finishing touches of a professional design team

Looks smart professional modern and minimises the Erin go Bragh, top of the morning gibberish ...

LH982

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Miami wrote:
Whatever they do. I hope there's little to no Euro-white...

I like this:

S

It’s just the same Oirishy theme as today’s livery with a really bad typeface for dyslexics or something

It needs modernising and updating .... Eurowhite is perfect with a stylised shamrock on the tailis the way to go... a green version of Qantas , Iberia etc

Personally I wish they’d get rid of the shamrock but they’d be listening to complainers for months to come

I'm intrigued. What would you like to see on the tail?

shamrock350

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Looks smart professional modern and minimises the Erin go Bragh, top of the morning gibberish ...

The regular, near constant use of the "Oirish" term is very telling. I'm assuming you are actually Irish with a username like that so tell me, what would you suggest a company representing Ireland use? What images and symbols would represent us as a nation without being too "Oirish" as you so delicately put it?

I think you've probably seen what American's do when trying to celebrate Ireland, they go for the cliched jokes and images, often using Shamrocks and Clovers, Leprechauns and Rainbows and you see such imagery as a source of embarrassment, you wouldn't be alone in that department but Ireland, like every nation on the planet, has an image and most organisations and even individuals will draw on that in some respect when selling their brand. However, it's fair to say that Aer Lingus has always, always done so with class and style, the green has always looked smart, the Shamrock has always been elegant and the approach Aer Lingus has taken for nearly 85 years is one of professionalism.

Stripping your corporate image of everything you've used for the best part of one hundred years would be madness. It's why American Airlines kept the red, white and blue, it's why Qantas has the flying Kangaroo and Air Canada has a maple leaf. Those images represent their nation in one form or another, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

by738

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:26 pm

From what I understood from some who may be in the know, its a lot more of a subtle change, so no big eurowhites or 'leased-in' looks.

Jayafe

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Miami wrote:
It's a livery. Stop whining.

It's a design. Be professional.

shamrock350

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Jayafe wrote:
Miami wrote:

The 787 image you quoted and took issue with for being a 787 is from a few years ago, I believe it’s just a mock up from the old Modified Airliner Photos site.

lavalampluva

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 pm

I wonder how it would be if the IAG carriers will all have a similar paint scheme, but with appropriate colors.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Phen

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Personally I wish they’d get rid of the shamrock but they’d be listening to complainers for months to come

To be objective here, be it a Shamrock or whatever they choose as a logo, it would be very foolish to ditch it after decades of close association with the Aer Lingus brand. It would be akin to Qantas or Air Canada as mentioned above ditching their long-used logos - a marketing blunder and would make no sense at all.

Skyblue39

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Aer Lingus have no intention of ditching the shamrock, thankfully. It is synonymous with the Aer Lingus brand.

Miami

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:39 am

Jayafe wrote:
Miami wrote:

Sure thing. Livery, design, concept, whatever mate.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

stratocruiser

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

The regular, near constant use of the "Oirish" term is very telling. I'm assuming you are actually Irish with a username like that so tell me, what would you suggest a company representing Ireland use? What images and symbols would represent us as a nation without being too "Oirish" as you so delicately put it?

I think you've probably seen what American's do when trying to celebrate Ireland, they go for the cliched jokes and images, often using Shamrocks and Clovers, Leprechauns and Rainbows and you see such imagery as a source of embarrassment, you wouldn't be alone in that department but Ireland, like every nation on the planet, has an image and most organisations and even individuals will draw on that in some respect when selling their brand. However, it's fair to say that Aer Lingus has always, always done so with class and style, the green has always looked smart, the Shamrock has always been elegant and the approach Aer Lingus has taken for nearly 85 years is one of professionalism.

Stripping your corporate image of everything you've used for the best part of one hundred years would be madness. It's why American Airlines kept the red, white and blue, it's why Qantas has the flying Kangaroo and Air Canada has a maple leaf. Those images represent their nation in one form or another, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Well said!

ClassicLover

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:51 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I wonder how it would be if the IAG carriers will all have a similar paint scheme, but with appropriate colors.

Each airline makes their own decisions when it comes to the livery.

It would also make no sense to have a similar scheme to each other as the brands remain separate.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

phoenixcondor

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 pm

My proposal :) Image

phoenixcondor

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Another one of my ideas which retains the green! Image

skipness1E

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Some of them were rubbish. Blue Poole had no place on a tailfin. It was a lesson on how not to brand your business as they went to wide and ended up meaning nothing to anyone in particular. I get moved when Imfly home on BA and the Union Flag fin greets you at the gate, it’s like coming home as soon as you step on board. Likewise the green fin and shamrock, makes you feel proud. Ethnic African art does not and cannot give the same brand hug to a UK audience and as soon as the Ayling Airways era was over, the flag went back on the tail, and rightly so. One doesn’t need to be a little Englander to recognise a branding misstep, Rod Eddington was after all, Australian when he did away with the world tails. The best were British, Benyhone and Chelsea Rose and even Colum looked remarkable, partly because they connected with the core audience, something “Cockrel of Lowicz” didn’t quite manage....

khinstorff

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:34 am

Do we have a ballpark date of when this refresh will be publicly announced?

shamrock350

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:38 am

khinstorff wrote:
Do we have a ballpark date of when this refresh will be publicly announced?

January 2019

The first A321LR itself isn't due until the summer so I'm guessing an A330 will be repainted over the winter ready for the reveal.

EDIT: If you mean when will Aer Lingus formally announce the actual intension to rebrand, I don't know. This news came straight from the CEO but there has been no "we're rebranding" press release yet. They did make a formal announcement regarding the new uniform so I'm not sure why one hasn't been done for the rebrand.

cosyr

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:06 am

OA260 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
OA260 wrote:

That is what I thought sometimes a picture says a thousand words !

But what is Thatcher doing in that picture?!?!? Not knowing the history of that picture it seems to me as if she has taken tissues out of her bag to cover a livery she doesn't like but I guess it's something else...

She was at the unveiling of these new world tails and she told BA exactly what she thought of them by covering one up.

They did look a bloody mess in fairness apart from the one adopted currently.

I disagree. I thought they were beautiful, unique, creative, and representative of an airline that flies to 6 continents.

ShamrockBoi330

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 pm

So, read this on another forum discussing IAG Q3 results, and they mentioned the brand refresh.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2018/10/27 ... er-lingus/

"Look now, the amount of green is expected to be significantly reduced with the upcoming new livery. The first Aer Lingus aircraft in the new colors is expected at the end of January, 2019"...... "The new livery is expected to be something like Iberia Express with green engine cowlings and a dark green shamrock on the tail with two cheat lines down the fuselage. The size and style of the titles are still under discussion pending a final livery decision."

Although still hearsay, I personally like that the 2 cheatlines are still being maintained that will hopefully help break up the Euro white we've come to expect these days.

Thoughts?

BrianDromey

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 pm

That Airliner World quote sounds dreadful. Not as bad as the WX RJ's.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Ling ... Jt2xfWRjFt

cosyr wrote:
I disagree. I thought they were beautiful, unique, creative, and representative of an airline that flies to 6 continents.

I agree, I always felt that BA had very cleverly created a collection of tails that, while many were different, they were all identifiably from the same collection. The British media hated them (much of the British media is mildly Xenophobic and still gently mourns the passing of the empire) so eventually the tide turned, by the time Mrs Thatchers handkerchief fell on a model, that was the end. The livery was quite clever and allowed other franchise operations to have their own distinct identity within the BA family. Although Barbra Cassaini tells it differently, "the Low-Cost Airline from British Airways" had a variant of the Utopia scheme. Very nice it was too.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Go-Fly/B ... Aq2cMow%3D

airtrantpa

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:47 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

I would like to see them use the Harp as it is the national symbol of Eire instead of the Shamrock. As a professional bagpipe player i see so many false cliche if the Irish culture its dissapointimg in all seriousness.
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA

ShamrockBoi330

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 pm

As an Irish person, i'm happy to see the Shamrock stay, puts a smile on my face when i see it when I travel in North America (I live in Canada now!). The Shamrock has been associated with Ireland for centuries and is used widely as an emblem for national bodies. Shamrock is also Aer Lingus call sign, there is no way this will ever be dropped, there would be a national outcry. Plus with Ryanair using the Harp, its never going to happen at EI.

Yes, the plastic Paddy padwhackery here in North America can be annoying (dont get me start on the St Patty's Day bastardisation!), but that's no reflection on the Shamrock as a symbol of Ireland.

yyz717

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:35 pm

The current Aer Lingus livery is very sharp and distinctive.

Although I can understand the marketing desire for a brand refresh after 20+ years, why mess with a good thing?
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

FUTURA

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:31 pm

I suppose as Iberia has a livery which could be applied to the rest of the group, if IAG wanted to they could align the livery whilst retaining the individual brands (and possibly revisiting flavours of old favourites....). Very crude ideas below. Although not part of the group, Finnair looks very good IMO.

famous poems about running
Vincent

Galwayman

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

EI in Iberia styling above looks really good, maybe paint the shamrock white if it has to stay

mutu

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Perhaps bring in some orange at the top of the tail so flag colours are represented like on IB and then it a slight twerk of the blue in BA you have national colours yet a family brand....quite smart actually. Who knows what will happen.

mullac30

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 pm

FUTURA wrote:
I suppose as Iberia has a livery which could be applied to the rest of the group, if IAG wanted to they could align the livery whilst retaining the individual brands (and possibly revisiting flavours of old favourites....). Very crude ideas below. Although not part of the group, Finnair looks very good IMO.

Its surprising just how not-bad these liveries are, shows how close Iberia could have been to perfecting the livery with coloured nacelles and the crest on the tail. The BA version is also a nice throwback to Landor.

Arion640

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
OA260 wrote:
They did look a bloody mess in fairness apart from the one adopted currently.

Dunno, I always felt that Chelsea Rose on a 772ER was an outstanding livery.

The problem with these things were they didn’t mean anything when not on the ground at LHR/LGW. When all the aircraft were together, the diversity meant something and showed BA was a global airline etc etc.

When at outstations seeing one flight a day, they just looked a bit random and out of place not really meaning anything. The best thing they did was re-paint them all into the Concorde scheme.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

S0Y

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 am

FUTURA wrote:

I know its subjective, but these are terrible. Agree the best of the lot is AY, but that might be to do with their current (yawn) livery.

Sadly, I fear the new EI livery will not be a million miles away from this.

JAmie2k9

Re: How is the situation of the rebrand of the aer Lingus?

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:03 pm

You will find out next month!

A330 due to be done in Bordeaux and an A320 will be follow with suggestion its the retro jet.

F27500

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I think i can predict it … a totally white fuselage; dark green tail that continues down and underneath the tail … a light green shamrock on the fin .. and big tacky billboard titles.

Snore.

CLTRampRat

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Ive never flown EI but does the rebrand/refresh include updating the cabins as well? I always heard that they were somewhat dated.

ClassicLover

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:12 pm

CLTRampRat wrote:
Ive never flown EI but does the rebrand/refresh include updating the cabins as well? I always heard that they were somewhat dated.

The long haul cabins are not dated at all. Their current lie-flat business class was introduced in 2014 or 2015. Economy class also has entertainment in all seats and what not, so long haul the cabins are new.

Short haul, the cabin is just standard single class and it's fine. I think some of the newer aircraft may have slimline seats, but the older ones don't. The seats are navy blue.

New uniforms are due in Spring at Aer Lingus, replacing their late 1990s uniform which is well overdue for a change. Otherwise, I've not heard anything else about it.

BA777FO

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:31 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Short haul, the cabin is just standard single class and it's fine. I think some of the newer aircraft may have slimline seats, but the older ones don't. The seats are navy blue.

There is a plan to reintroduce business class on short haul. Not sure if it's only certain routes or all routes and not sure of time frame either but there was a recent announcement about it.

alancostello

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:49 pm

BA777FO wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

There is a plan to reintroduce business class on short haul. Not sure if it's only certain routes or all routes and not sure of time frame either but there was a recent announcement about it.

Initially it is just that the new long-haul configured A321LRs will do a rotation to key destinations (LHR, AMS, CDG) in the mornings between transatlantic rotations, nothing about refitting a business class product on the A320s (though speculation is that a euro-style blocked-middle-seat business is coming)

readytotaxi

Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:06 pm

alancostello wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Initially it is just that the new long-haul configured A321LRs will do a rotation to key destinations (LHR, AMS, CDG) in the mornings between transatlantic rotations, nothing about refitting a business class product on the A320s (though speculation is that a euro-style blocked-middle-seat business is coming)

Very good use of the A321, wonder why they did not do it sooner.
The A320 sounds like the son of BA.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Antarius

Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Really hoping they dont cock up the rebrand and end up with a dull livery.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

shamrock350

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:47 am

CLTRampRat wrote:

The cabins are modern across the fleet, business class is a very strong product while economy is industry standard. The A330s are equipped with wifi, USB ports, power outlets and AVOD throughout.

A330 Business:

A330 Economy:

The short haul fleet is a standard all economy layout with navy leather seats, adjustable headrests and standard pitch. At the moment mood lighting is being rolled out fleet wide while short haul wifi is being considered.

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Very good use of the A321, wonder why they did not do it sooner.
The A320 sounds like the son of BA.

The A321 hasn't been done sooner because they have not been delivered yet. They start arriving in June 2019. The existing A330 fleet sometimes to European trips to the Canary Islands and you can purchase the business class seat for a higher fee, but you still pay for the food and so on.

The A320s at Aer Lingus are how they have always been. The only changes are the introduction to mood lighting as mentioned.

shamrock350 wrote:
At the moment mood lighting is being rolled out fleet wide while short haul wifi is being considered.

Short haul Wi-Fi should be installed as standard. Though I assume IAG will just negotiate a contract for all their carriers in Europe, then the airlines can install it as they go. The Wi-Fi domestically in Australia on Qantas is fantastic and fast, so Europe should be able to be at least that good. Qantas also offer it completely unrestricted and completely free (whereas Virgin Australia offer a certain amount free and a certain amount paid).

Realistically, it is going to be a paid for service in Europe, however the differentiation will be how much - if any - is offered free. As saying "15MB free" is frustrating, it would be better to model it on a time period of free. 10 minutes or something, then pay from then on. If it's working well, people will fork out the cash.

Eitilt

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I believe the 17th January is the date for the big reveal.

Galwayman

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:50 pm

F27500 wrote:
I think i can predict it … a totally white fuselage; dark green tail that continues down and underneath the tail … a light green shamrock on the fin .. and big tacky billboard titles.

Snore.

That sounds really good to me ... fingers crossed . Something like Westjet hopefully

CarbonFibre

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:09 pm

F27500 wrote:
I think i can predict it … a totally white fuselage; dark green tail that continues down and underneath the tail … a light green shamrock on the fin .. and big tacky billboard titles.Snore.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aer+lin ... z9d2wutlqM:

einsteinboricua

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:33 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
A330 Business:

Kinda looks like B6's Mint layout.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:50 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Kinda looks like B6's Mint layout.

It's the exact same seat as JetBlue Mint and various other airlines, just customised for Aer Lingus. The main difference from Mint is that Mint has doors on the single seats.

ELBOB

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:21 pm

I have a deep-seated fear that the Aer Club promotional video was prescient...

JannEejit

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:58 pm

I saw a pic somewhere the other day of a leased Avro RJ85 operating from Cityjet for EI at DUB. It was all white with a simple green tail shamrock and Aer Lingus titles, the same as current style but green. My first thought was that it was a sneak preview. I may be right yet... ;-)

http://smiliner.com/2018/10/cityjet-beg ... er-lingus/

OA260

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 pm

JannEejit wrote:
I saw a pic somewhere the other day of a leased Avro RJ85 operating from Cityjet for EI at DUB. It was all white with a simple green tail shamrock and Aer Lingus titles, the same as current style but green. My first thought was that it was a sneak preview. I may be right yet... ;-)

http://smiliner.com/2018/10/cityjet-beg ... er-lingus/

I have flown on it a few times now and those A/C are due to be repainted in the new livery next Spring. The current livery is just a stop gap.

LAXLHR

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:30 pm

FUTURA wrote:

I'm shocked. All 4 look great...well done!!

I think BA looks great but still needs the flag incorporated into the tail design as depicted.

Love it!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

cityshuttle

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 pm

FUTURA wrote:

Would be awesome if this ‚IAG group livery‘ would seriously be an option ...

skipness1E

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:10 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
FUTURA wrote:

Would be awesome if this ‚IAG group livery‘ would seriously be an option ...

Why would replacing the iconic Union Flag be awesome? IAG is not a holding company, there is no intent to go to market as IAG. That Aer Lingus rendering is appaling.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos