shamrock137

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:15 pm

JannEejit wrote:
I saw a pic somewhere the other day of a leased Avro RJ85 operating from Cityjet for EI at DUB. It was all white with a simple green tail shamrock and Aer Lingus titles, the same as current style but green. My first thought was that it was a sneak preview. I may be right yet... ;-)

http://smiliner.com/2018/10/cityjet-beg ... er-lingus/

They've used the all white with logo only a couple times in the past as a stopgap measure.

Time to spare? Go by air!

JannEejit

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:22 pm

shamrock137 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
I saw a pic somewhere the other day of a leased Avro RJ85 operating from Cityjet for EI at DUB. It was all white with a simple green tail shamrock and Aer Lingus titles, the same as current style but green. My first thought was that it was a sneak preview. I may be right yet... ;-)

http://smiliner.com/2018/10/cityjet-beg ... er-lingus/

They've used the all white with logo only a couple times in the past as a stopgap measure.

Yes and a 767-300 too prior to the A330 arriving in the 90's. It does make me wonder why they went to the effort of full livery paint on the stop gap MD-11 and TriStar leases though ?

OzarkD9S

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm still hoping for two hues of green across the entire fuselage and none of that "swoosh" sh*t that's all the rage these days. Please keep it classy EI.
TWA Hotel, Here I come. October, 2019 :airplane:

TWA772LR

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:03 pm

skipness1E wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:
FUTURA wrote:
I suppose as Iberia has a livery which could be applied to the rest of the group, if IAG wanted to they could align the livery whilst retaining the individual brands (and possibly revisiting flavours of old favourites....). Very crude ideas below. Although not part of the group, Finnair looks very good IMO.

famous poems about running

Would be awesome if this ‚IAG group livery‘ would seriously be an option ...

Why would replacing the iconic Union Flag be awesome? IAG is not a holding company, there is no intent to go to market as IAG. That Aer Lingus rendering is appaling.

I like the concepts of the logos in the darker regions of the tails, but the BA version looks very US Airways-y. If they go this route, hopefully they do a better job at aligning than the Ukrainian outfit that took on this concept.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

NYPECO

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:05 pm

I really hope they don't go eurowhite like every other airline.

Don't criticize my photoshop, I put about 2 minutes of effort into this :thumbsup:

shamrock350

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am

Okay, the word on the street (staff gossip) is that the livery will be a mostly white fuselage, green tail or rear fuselage with green engines and winglets. The typeface much more 'Helvetica' in style and larger, the Shamrock itself is said to have been altered slightly but some say it's staying the same.

These are all just rumours. It's also believed the first A320 to repainted will be EI-DVM, the popular retrojet aircraft.

CarlosSi

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:29 am

As long as there’s even weight of green across the plane (some up front or on the engines and tail), and assuming the shamrock won’t be altered or disfigured, I’ll be alright. The problem I had with LH is that they removed a color (2 if you count the grey and left 80% of the fuselage white; the only color was on the tail. Grey engines would’ve balanced it out a bit.

shamrock350

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:16 am

I forgot to add there's also talk of a green stripe or cheat line somewhere towards the rear of the aircraft.

ClassicLover

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 am

FUTURA wrote:
I suppose as Iberia has a livery which could be applied to the rest of the group, if IAG wanted to they could align the livery whilst retaining the individual brands (and possibly revisiting flavours of old favourites....). Very crude ideas below. Although not part of the group, Finnair looks very good IMO.

The top of the Aer Lingus tail reminds me of the rugby themed aircraft tail.

I could probably live with something like this. The only thing wrong with the pictures, really, are the shades for Aer Lingus and BA and the airline name font for Aer Lingus. But you know, it's not all that bad.

That being said, if you read IAG's web site, they specifically state they use that grey colour as they don't want IAG to be a brand or to be known as a brand. The brands are the airlines as they are now, so I think it makes sense for them to be distinct. Interesting concept though!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

A333MSPtoAMS

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 am

airtrantpa wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
Looks smart professional modern and minimises the Erin go Bragh, top of the morning gibberish ...

The regular, near constant use of the "Oirish" term is very telling. I'm assuming you are actually Irish with a username like that so tell me, what would you suggest a company representing Ireland use? What images and symbols would represent us as a nation without being too "Oirish" as you so delicately put it?

I think you've probably seen what American's do when trying to celebrate Ireland, they go for the cliched jokes and images, often using Shamrocks and Clovers, Leprechauns and Rainbows and you see such imagery as a source of embarrassment, you wouldn't be alone in that department but Ireland, like every nation on the planet, has an image and most organisations and even individuals will draw on that in some respect when selling their brand. However, it's fair to say that Aer Lingus has always, always done so with class and style, the green has always looked smart, the Shamrock has always been elegant and the approach Aer Lingus has taken for nearly 85 years is one of professionalism.

Stripping your corporate image of everything you've used for the best part of one hundred years would be madness. It's why American Airlines kept the red, white and blue, it's why Qantas has the flying Kangaroo and Air Canada has a maple leaf. Those images represent their nation in one form or another, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I would like to see them use the Harp as it is the national symbol of Eire instead of the Shamrock. As a professional bagpipe player i see so many false cliche if the Irish culture its dissapointimg in all seriousness.

The Harp is already in use by Ryanair. We don't need 2 airlines using it. Also, I much prefer the shamrock as its already very well known for Aer Lingus
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com

MoKa777

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:58 am

FUTURA wrote:

This IB livery especially looks great! Just a few more additions to the current bland IB livery makes all the difference!
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

redhair

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:08 am

FUTURA wrote:

How would Vueling one look like? People tend to forget VY is also part of IAG

Mullion

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:03 pm

That BA livery as terrible, it has taken the whole BA scheme which stands out and replaced it with a bland scheme that means nothing to the UK public, it must keep the Union Jack on tail it`s like taking the Shamrock from Aer Lingus

CARST

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:14 pm

I want the Landor livery back. Then all the other IAG airlines can do whatever they want. It's not like EI or IB ever had a real nice livery. So whatever they do, it's probably an improvement. Just gimme that damn Landor livery back BA! At least paint a few retro liveries. BOAC would be nice, too...

Imagine this:
From: http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairl ... 012288.jpg

Or these:
All three from: http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j34 ... g~original
Last edited by CARST on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CARST

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:18 pm

redhair wrote:
FUTURA wrote:

Yeah, why is VY missing? And why the heck is Finnair depicted here? They are not part of IAG.

eirflot

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 pm

CARST
Aer Lingus has 9be of the most recognised brands in the world and your off your head if you don't think it's nice
As for BA the Landor livery was quite classic but I also like the BEA retro - it's quirky and stands out, especially the red wings

Bricktop

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:24 pm

That BOAC 787 is bitchin!

skipness1E

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:02 pm

CARST wrote:

I want the Landor livery back. Then all the other IAG airlines can do whatever they want. It's not like EI or IB ever had a real nice livery. So whatever they do, it's probably an improvement. Just gimme that damn Landor livery back BA! At least paint a few retro liveries. BOAC would be nice, too...

Landor looks great in
1) Sunshine
2) When freshly painted

Outwith 1) and 2) above, it looks TERRIBLE. I spotted through the Landor years, and have a few decent shots BUT being UK based, hardly anyone raved about it at the time. Our climate is often grey and dull, something Landor looked lousy in. I remember shooting BA one particular night at GLA, B734, B757, B763, Dash 8, BAeATP, Jetstream 41, SD360 and Islander all in this amazing Landor scheme everyone now raves about. Not one spotter raised a camera one time for one aircraft! In comparison to Negus and Negus which was at least bright and upbeat, Landor was like the Galactic Empire, no one local ever loved it. I appreciate it's different in North America when a Landon painted heavy might turn up in daily sunshine, but LORDY, it wasn't raved about at the time believe me.

btw it seems no one at BA will contemplate a BOAC livery for connotations with the Empire period, (British not Galactic). Couple with the feelings around Brexit and IMHO allegations we're turning the clock back here in the UK, I cannot see how a BOAC retro livery would ever get past senior management, it's just too controversial in a social media world where we can all raise merry Hell simply because we can. However I imagine a Landor and Negus&Negus pair of B744s in their final year wouldn't be impossible after 40+ years of B747 ops. However be aware the B767 was retired with no send of worth mentioning.

CARST

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:22 pm

skipness1E wrote:
CARST wrote:

Landor looks great in
1) Sunshine
2) When freshly painted

Outwith 1) and 2) above, it looks TERRIBLE. I spotted through the Landor years, and have a few decent shots BUT being UK based, hardly anyone raved about it at the time. Our climate is often grey and dull, something Landor looked lousy in. I remember shooting BA one particular night at GLA, B734, B757, B763, Dash 8, BAeATP, Jetstream 41, SD360 and Islander all in this amazing Landor scheme everyone now raves about. Not one spotter raised a camera one time for one aircraft! In comparison to Negus and Negus which was at least bright and upbeat, Landor was like the Galactic Empire, no one local ever loved it. I appreciate it's different in North America when a Landon painted heavy might turn up in daily sunshine, but LORDY, it wasn't raved about at the time believe me.

btw it seems no one at BA will contemplate a BOAC livery for connotations with the Empire period, (British not Galactic). Couple with the feelings around Brexit and IMHO allegations we're turning the clock back here in the UK, I cannot see how a BOAC retro livery would ever get past senior management, it's just too controversial in a social media world where we can all raise merry Hell simply because we can. However I imagine a Landor and Negus&Negus pair of B744s in their final year wouldn't be impossible after 40+ years of B747 ops. However be aware the B767 was retired with no send of worth mentioning.

I still remember Landor from the late 80s, early 90s and I loved it. And perhaps it wasn’t universally loved at the time, but you often only realise what you had, once it its gone.

Also everything has its time. And once the time it’s over, you need a refresh. There is nothing really timeless. At least timeless designs are rare. So I could imagine Landor with a refresh. Like replacing black with the current BA navy blue. See the 787 posted above.

skipness1E

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:24 pm

CARST wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
CARST wrote:

Landor looks great in
1) Sunshine
2) When freshly painted

I still remember Landor from the late 80s, early 90s and I loved it. And perhaps it wasn’t universally loved at the time, but you often only realise what you had, once it its gone.

Also everything has its time. And once the time it’s over, you need a refresh. There is nothing really timeless. At least timeless designs are rare. So I could imagine Landor with a refresh. Like replacing black with the current BA navy blue. See the 787 posted above.

You don't remember Landor if you think it was ever black.... :D

Bricktop

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 pm

skipness1E wrote:
btw it seems no one at BA will contemplate a BOAC livery for connotations with the Empire period, (British not Galactic). Couple with the feelings around Brexit and IMHO allegations we're turning the clock back here in the UK, I cannot see how a BOAC retro livery would ever get past senior management, it's just too controversial in a social media world where we can all raise merry Hell simply because we can.

Sad but unsurprising these days when an aircraft's livery can raise charges of xenophobia from the perpetually offended. Looking amazing isn't enough, it has to check all the "appropriate" cultural boxes too. And so ironically we get more Eurowhite. :rotfl:

JannEejit

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm

skipness1E wrote:
CARST wrote:

Landor looks great in
1) Sunshine
2) When freshly painted

I completely agree with all of this ! I too recall Landor at the time of it's reveal. There were huge billboard posters all over the place showing a Landor painted 747 flying along side a distant Negus 747 beginning to bank away (into history). My initial reaction was that it looked like a cheap make over of Negus, with a crass red cheatline, far too much blue paint and that white linen laundered with black socks, dismal grey tone that just looked dirty to me. And (what I referred to as) 'the Falcon Crest', over pompous and ostentatious like Joan Collins in a certain popular US TV show at the time. At least the Utopia/Chatham livery returned some colour to the proceedings. I've read how so many Landor fans love it's sense of Britishness whilst wondering if their own sense of 'Britishness' was gleamed through watching said TV show and re-runs of the Royal Wedding ? Britain was a grim place mid 1980's, still gripped by Thatcherism and mass unemployment. Perhaps that dismal livery was a reflection on our societal ills at the time after all ?

SXDFC

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:56 pm

I’d love to see a new livery for BA, and i hope they’re next.. The poster above mentioned how dull the Landor livery looked from time to time, IMHO the current one isn’t all much better, it’s bland and uninspiring..

Hopefully if the fuselage is mostly white, then the folks at EI can pull something similar to what Qantas did, which again IMHO is nice and clean and classy..

777Mech

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Is anyone else hoping for some orange thrown into the livery, maybe as a cheatline?

shamrock350

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:01 pm

777Mech wrote:
Is anyone else hoping for some orange thrown into the livery, maybe as a cheatline?

Aer Lingus has never used orange in it’s livery or brand throughout its history. Another shade of green or the ‘St Patrick’s Blue’ was always the go to secondary colour.

Aer Lingus has always wanted to shy away from being a state like body, at least in terms of image. It’s why they opted for the Shamrock and not the harp, and why they’ve never used the Irish flag too much.

If anything this rebrand will see Aer Lingus move away from being “just an Irish airline” and more towards representing the modern, international airline it has or is becoming.

CARST

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 am

skipness1E wrote:
CARST wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Landor looks great in
1) Sunshine
2) When freshly painted

You don't remember Landor if you think it was ever black.... :D

Okay, perhaps it was SUPER-DUPER DARK blue and not black. But if there wasn't any sunshine, it sure looked black. Very much similar to that new and boring Lufthansa design, just that Landor was even darker. That's the risk when using such dark colours in designs. And perhaps my memories tricked me, but I remember seeing it as "black" as kid, when being at Tegel, Frankfurt and wherever else on the world I saw BA planes. Now looking at old photos, taken in sunshine, you are right, it was some form of very dark blue, but not easy to spot...

CarbonFibre

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:33 pm

The official Landor colours used were Midnight Blue and Pearl Grey.

Braybuddy

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:04 am

FUTURA wrote:

The Iberia livery is bad enough without having it multiplied by three! :yuck:

EK770

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 am

Announced on the Irish thread, a media event is planned for Jan 17th. Keeping expectations low, but hoping for a miracle :D

bunumuring

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am

Hey guys,
Last night I had a dream....
And in it, there was an Aer Lingus A321 painted with unique vertical stripes with a stylised shamrock design...
It looked awesome!
Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

eirflot

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 am

Keep taking the tablets! They will work eventually!!!!!

NickWebb

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 am

tonystan wrote:
Here’s hoping it’s more green and less white!

Dream on, I've seen it already!!
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg

b4thefall

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:42 am

NickWebb wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Can you give us any further info?

dfdubflyer

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Not Aer Lingus but on the topic of Iberia/IAG, I was in Madrid the other day and was struck how just the little bit of extra color on the Iberia Express livery (on the engines) made the whole thing look much more complete.

BestWestern

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

The brand refresh is more than a livery, but the entire look and feel alongside how the airline communicates to its customers in every location, from booking to bag tag.

The EI livery looks great on the aircraft, but the brand, logo and font struggles with web and screen application where it looks decidedly old fashioned.

Look at how well Delta’s brand shines in terminal and on screen. Compare that to EI, which is too green, boxed in and meh.

As I’ve said before, 90% of us will hate the livery, and then we will love it over time when we see it in practical locations. Just like the last EI logo and livery changes.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

NickWebb

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm

b4thefall wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Not really my place to disclose before the announcement but, there's not much green!

NickWebb

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:11 pm

BestWestern wrote:
The brand refresh is more than a livery, but the entire look and feel alongside how the airline communicates to its customers in every location, from booking to bag tag.

The EI livery looks great on the aircraft, but the brand, logo and font struggles with web and screen application where it looks decidedly old fashioned.

Look at how well Delta’s brand shines in terminal and on screen. Compare that to EI, which is too green, boxed in and meh.

As I’ve said before, 90% of us will hate the livery, and then we will love it over time when we see it in practical locations. Just like the last EI logo and livery changes.

Perfectly said!

NickWebb

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:14 pm

CARST wrote:
redhair wrote:
FUTURA wrote:

Yeah, why is VY missing? And why the heck is Finnair depicted here? They are not part of IAG.

The Finnair looks just like the new LH, so why does everyone hate it??

dfdubflyer

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Was this article posted on here?

http://www.travelweek.ca/blog/we-will-s ... o-rebrand/

"We will be unveiling a refreshed logo, a new livery and in November a new uniform. But we will still have a shamrock, we will still be green and we will still be called Aer Lingus!"

BHXLOVER

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:10 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Where did we get the “BA also rebranding” soon from? Link please?
Btw have IAG switched a single in-service aircraft between BA/IB/EI? Aer Lingus had some IB A319s but that was pre buyout.

4 EI's A319's went to Vueling and 1 of their A320's went to EI. So Yes.

CarbonFibre

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm

EI-EDY has entered the paint hangar at DUB.

sixtyseven

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 pm

NickWebb wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Ahh the ole “I’ve seen it, but can’t talk about it” line.

Blarney.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

LTenEleven

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

NickWebb wrote:
b4thefall wrote:
NickWebb wrote:

Not really my place to disclose before the announcement but, there's not much green!

Probably also not your place to share that you've seen it or that there's not much green, but that didn't stop you.

JannEejit

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 pm

I was looking at pics of the Air Belgium A340 earlier and thinking it's a predominantly white livery that works because of the interesting use of the national colours in a flowing ribbon effect and also the 'ever so en vogue' black racoon eyes cockpit shroud. Can't help but think IAG could adopt a similar pan-fleet look, using the colours appropriate to, and associated with each of it's constituent airlines.

NickWebb

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 am

sixtyseven wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Blarney.

Not Blarney I have seen the drawings so you can Blarney on...

sixtyseven

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:43 pm

NickWebb wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
NickWebb wrote:

Blarney.

Not Blarney I have seen the drawings so you can Blarney on...

These things are corporate secret gold. Prove it.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

Eagleboy

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:03 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

Stick some green on the cowlings and a shamrock over the forward door and you got it spot on.
The shade is sort of teal green

Bricktop

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:13 pm

NickWebb wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

Perfectly said!

Same corporate-speak that gave us the LH travesty.

shamrock350

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

Stick some green on the cowlings and a shamrock over the forward door and you got it spot on.
The shade is sort of teal green

That doesn’t actually sound too bad. I’ve accepted that we’re getting a mostly white livery but if there’s enough colour on the tail, engines and in the titles it will balance it out somewhat.

While eurowhite can be boring, it is the trend and can be done quite well if properly executed.

skipness1E

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm

That's Iberia with a Green filter, and actually not too bad looking.
Of course if IB and EI look like this, will BA conform (!?)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos