LAXintl
Topic Author

U.S DHS: Manila airport fails to meet ICAO security requirements

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:42 pm

U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today announced the determination that aviation security at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL), which serves as a last-point-of-departure airport for flights to the United States, does not maintain and carry out effective security consistent with the security standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). This determination was based on assessments by a team from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

DHS press release:
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/26/dep ... hilippines

=

DHS says they will work with their Filipino counterparts to help bring MNL back to expected international security standards.

In the interim airlines issuing tickets for travel between the United States and MNL are directed to notify passengers in writing of this security determination, and also prominently display signage at the airport to warn passengers of the situation.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

janders

Re: U.S DHS: Manila airport fails to meet ICAO security requirements

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:45 pm

What does mean for all the PAL nonstops to the U.S.

Limits on flights, additional/special gate screening, etc??
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

N717TW

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Doesn't that mean you can't fly nonstop into the US? I thought that was the reason why DL couldn't start NBO and PK had to have stops in MAN/DUB, etc

many321

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Surprised they didn't shut out PAL from its nonstop flights to the US. Though, if were to occur I could see CI, BR, CX, SQ, NH, JAL, KAL, and OZ try to grab their clientele in a heartbeat.

UPlog

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Sorry to say but the Phillippines is a mess. I am always a bit leery flying in there. Be it ATC, airport facilities, and yes security.

Remember MNL is where law enforcement agents were placing bullets in passenger bags and then asking for bribes to make the problem go away.

http://philippineslifestyle.com/tanim-b ... am-return/
https://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/aviation ... index.html

AmricanShamrok

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:39 pm

N717TW wrote:
Doesn't that mean you can't fly nonstop into the US? I thought that was the reason why DL couldn't start NBO and PK had to have stops in MAN/DUB, etc

I'm unsure of DL's history with NBO but KQ recently started nonstop flights between NBO and JFK so any security lapses at that airport must have been rectified. PK never used DUB as a transit/security stop but there were plans to move the MAN stop to SNN a few years ago (that never materialized).

Is there a list of airports that currently provide direct service to the US that are not eligible for last point of departure status (i.e. where flights need to make a security stop in a third country to satisfy the DHS requirements)? All I can think of is KWI.

Malayil

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
N717TW wrote:

I'm unsure of DL's history with NBO but KQ recently started nonstop flights between NBO and JFK so any security lapses at that airport must have been rectified. PK never used DUB as a transit/security stop but there were plans to move the MAN stop to SNN a few years ago (that never materialized).

Is there a list of airports that currently provide direct service to the US that are not eligible for last point of departure status (i.e. where flights need to make a security stop in a third country to satisfy the DHS requirements)? All I can think of is KWI.

KWI has a direct flight on KU to JFK.

janders

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Delta says its working with the TSA and has "established a multi-layered security program in [Manila] to mitigate potential risks to the operation."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-New ... -standards

AmricanShamrok

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Malayil wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
N717TW wrote:

Yes, but it stops at SNN everyday on the westbound sector so passengers and bags can be re-screened.

janders

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 am

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:29 am

Apparently issues of concern include:

the need to install standalone audible alarm systems in emergency doors, calibrating walk-through metal detectors and the purchase of equipment that include X-ray machines and explosive detection systems."

https://www.rappler.com/nation/219703-a ... inadequate

mercure1

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:03 am

We cant say this comes as a shock.

Operationally MNL is a mess and when security officials themselves are implicated in things like the well publicized bullet scam you hardly know who you can trust.
mercure f-wtcc

UPlog

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Makes one wonder how safe and level of compliance is at the dozens regional airports are around the country.

evank516

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:47 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Malayil wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Yes, but it stops at SNN everyday on the westbound sector so passengers and bags can be re-screened.

That's what direct means. One stop, same plane service. He didn't say nonstop.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:54 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
evank516 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Malayil wrote:

That's what direct means. One stop, same plane service. He didn't say nonstop.

I’m aware of that, I was not questioning that this is a direct flight.

LurveBus

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:40 pm

This is quite odd, as MNL has never failed a security audit in the past, and you can't even enter the terminal without being screened. They won't even let you inside the departures hall without a valid ticket.

But the experience has been inconsistent between terminals as of late. T1 has the strictest procedures, as you get three security checks (one before the terminal, one after immigration, one before you enter the wing of the gates) and you even get a fourth if your destination is the US. For the rest of the terminals, I think it's just 2 security checks for non-US flights.

So it would be interesting to know where MNL is seen as lacking as they've already got more screenings in place compared to other airports in the region.

The bullet scandal was a bit overblown, as locally, it's become quite popular to use bullet casings as good luck charms, and the practice was always to confiscate the items without fuss. Some unscrupulous personnel decided to make that into an extortion scheme prior to the elections. Anyway, there are no more reported incidences of that anymore.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 pm

LurveBus wrote:
So it would be interesting to know where MNL is seen as lacking as they've already got more screenings in place compared to other airports in the region.

Per reply 11 issues include:

the need to install standalone audible alarm systems in emergency doors, calibrating walk-through metal detectors and the purchase of equipment that include X-ray machines and explosive detection systems."

Also was noted yesterday by Flight Global reporter that she was able to exit airside to go landside inorder to go to the currency exchange and return airside without being rescreened by same person that let her out.

LurveBus wrote:
The bullet scandal was a bit overblown, as locally, it's become quite popular to use bullet casings as good luck charms, and the practice was always to confiscate the items without fuss. Some unscrupulous personnel decided to make that into an extortion scheme prior to the elections. Anyway, there are no more reported incidences of that anymore.

You sure? Reportedly back in 2018. See link in Reply 5.

PanzerPowner

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Honestly, I flew out of MNL recently back in August right after the Xiamen Air Incident and I remember the security screenings outside the Terminal 1 Departure Hall being rushed. I don't really remember the second security screening but I don't remember a third one as my flight was bound to Hong Kong then a transfer out to Los Angeles.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 pm

More from United.

DHS issues Security Directive for MNL
On December 26, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced that MNL (Manila, Philippines) does not maintain and carry out effective security consistent with the security standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization.
What does this mean for us?
 There is no immediate operational impact to United flights
 We continue to work with DHS and local authorities and will fully comply with any updated security guidance.
 Required signage will be placed gateway airports, GUM (Guam) and ROR (Palau) explaining the DHS announcement
 Copies will be printed locally and distributed should a customer ask for additional information
Caring for our customers:
Some customers may be concerned about their safety with this recent announcement. We always want our customers to feel safe. Should you have customers who purchased a ticket prior to December 26 to MNL request a change or cancellation due to the announcement, please help your customer cancel or modify their trip. All fees are waived and refunds permitted.
Permitted changes:
 Any booking code in originally ticketed cabin
 Rebook only permitted on UA/UAX
 Even exchange
 Cancellations / refunds
Please document the record “MNL DHS SECURITY DIRECTIVE” for all changes or cancellations. For Contact Center agents, when processing a refund, please use the EZR Refund Wizard.

MillwallSean

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:17 am

Ah MNL is not especially secure but I doubt that it is worse than many other airports. However, I often get screened upon arriving in SIN when returning from MNL.That virtually never ever happens on flights from elsewhere. And thats quite peculiar because I travel to most cities in the region quite frequently and we have for example the neighbour to the south, Indonesia where while security is fine it is only as good as the money you pay (I have personally seen, on several occasions, West-Africans bribe their way into the country after arriving at Jakarta).

In regards to the bullet in luggage; previously - not under Duterte - it was not uncommon for western/Japanese/korean expats (no not sexpats, real expats, MNL staff can differentiate) to be asked if they wanted special VIP service through customs and immigration by airport employees. All for a fee. I have personally been asked a few times and I always said yes. Didn't know what that may happen to my luggage if I said no, besides it was generally between 5-10k (pesos) or S$100-200 etc so I cant say that the money bothered me enough to test what may have happened.
And the Philippines is hardly the only country where that happens. Certain African countries (thank you to my employer for pulling out of the delta region in Nigeria) seem to have this as the main income source for custom/police (cant see the difference) airport employees.

That, of all organisations, the particularly useless TSA, are the ones to fail MNL makes you laugh. My guess the auditors enjoyed staying in Manila.
Should MNL need help, they can ask slightly more professional organisations. Especially since they have both Korea, Japan, china and Singapore close by.

With that said, New Zealand (AKL) managed to miss that my 6 year old relative thought it was a good idea to put a full package of firecrackers in his pocket. He walked though security at first AKL, then transferring at SYD before walking out in SIN with his box. Raised my eyebrows a fair bit.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

TWA772LR

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:52 am

I remember way back in the 2000s IAH had signs about DPS being not up to snuff because CO flew there. The signs are not really anything new.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos