Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boriscenteno
Topic Author

LAX to Aruba

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Why there are not non stop flights from Los Angeles or San Francisco to Aruba?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title

Janj

Re: lax yo Aruba

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm

West Coast-Caribbean flights usually never work. For beaches and sun, Hawaii is much closer.

LewisNEO

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Janj wrote:
West Coast-Caribbean flights usually never work. For beaches and sun, Hawaii is much closer.

True, but never say never... But most of the pax coming from USA fly in from Florida or so. Aruba is receiving quite some US airliners every day like Southwest, AA, JetBlue, Delta and of course the Dutch KL. And you must know AUA is the smallest island of the three: Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba but the most dense populated with about (only) 125.000 inhabitants. It is popular by tourists and business people but remains a small island as part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Whenever you can, you oughta go, I go once a year visiting my best friend whois a physician in Oranjestad.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:44 pm

LewisNEO wrote:
Janj wrote:

True, but never say never... But most of the pax coming from USA fly in from Florida or so. Aruba is receiving quite some US airliners every day like Southwest, AA, JetBlue, Delta and of course the Dutch KL. And you must know AUA is the smallest island of the three: Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba but the most dense populated with about (only) 125.000 inhabitants. It is popular by tourists and business people but remains a small island as part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Whenever you can, you oughta go, I go once a year visiting my best friend whois a physician in Oranjestad.

We live in Dallas and just went a few months ago as it was on my bucket list. We enjoyed ourselves, but Cabo still ranks higher for us, mainly because it's so much easier to get to. There are other reasons as well (wind, hotel service, etc), but travel time is a huge factor.

Our routing was DFW-MIA-AUA (4 hour layover in MIA). The return was in reverse with about a 2 hour layover.

Conversely, we can be in Cabo (SJD) in 2:15, nonstop. Very hard to beat.

Also, while certainly not a deciding factor, the AUA airport blows. The only positive it has going for it is that they offer pre-clearance, but given our Global Entry, coming back into DFW is never problematic at Immigration/Customs.

Traveling from the West Coast would be even worse and take longer. You'd be much better off going to Hawaii or Cabo.

winginit

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:13 pm

This has been discussed to exhaustion on airliners. As Janj mentioned, the Caribbean offers essentially the same vacation sights and activities that Hawaii does, and Hawaii is far more convenient (as are Cabo and PVR). Geography and flight timings almost always dictate a cumbersome red-eye between LAX/SFO and the Caribbean whereas you gain time outbound to Hawaii, and routes like LAXMBJ (AA, red-eye) only exist because they're heavily subsidized.

Rdh3e

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:41 pm

A non-stop from the West Coast would require a widebody. No airline is going to take that much risk on an unproven vacation market.

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Getting more popular with the UK crowd and cheaper than Barbados. My last flight was a KLM MD11 in J, planning another trip May '19

Newbiepilot

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:54 pm

CUN is about the only Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico destination that has strong demand to maintain nonstop service without subsidies. It is a huge destination. SJU hasn’t been able to maintain LAX flights. If SJU can’t, I don’t see Aruba.

zakuivcustom

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
A non-stop from the West Coast would require a widebody. No airline is going to take that much risk on an unproven vacation market.

Not really. It's definitely doable on a 737MAX (LAX-AUA, for example, is shorter than EZE-PUJ, which AR used a 737-MAX8 on) or A32xneo and of course, 757s.

It's definitely a matter of geography - Caribbean is definitely an East Coast market (for USA). Much like how there are not minimal amount of flights from East Coast to SJD/PVR (and of course, Hawaii), same story applied for West Coast to Caribbean. Of course, for someone in, let say, Texas, either way works fine :).

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:30 pm

On top of what's already been said, there are some very competitive one-stop options between west coast USA and the Netherlands Antilles. Copa comes to my mind, with a transfer in Panama. They got flights to Aruba and Curacao which are only short hops. The flights between Panama and Los Angeles / San Francisco are frequent and easy to fill.

steeler83

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:45 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Getting more popular with the UK crowd and cheaper than Barbados. My last flight was a KLM MD11 in J, planning another trip May '19

Wow, how long ago was that? Didn't KLM retire their MD11 fleet already? I know they're phasing out their 747s as we speak.

Rdh3e

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:57 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

Not really. It's definitely doable on a 737MAX (LAX-AUA, for example, is shorter than EZE-PUJ, which AR used a 737-MAX8 on) or A32xneo and of course, 757s.

It's definitely a matter of geography - Caribbean is definitely an East Coast market (for USA). Much like how there are not minimal amount of flights from East Coast to SJD/PVR (and of course, Hawaii), same story applied for West Coast to Caribbean. Of course, for someone in, let say, Texas, either way works fine :).

LAX-AUA would be the second longest 737 market in the world if it were started today. It would also be flying into the winds, something that is not done on the longest route today (PTY-MVD). The flight would block in at something like 7.5hrs. Not something any rational operator is going to do.

airzona11

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

That flight would have to have high yields to make it viable (I am not sure with winds this route is doable with any viable load with an A320/737 of any build the airlines use). Hub and spoke dominate the Caribbean flying game vs P2P.

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:26 pm

steeler83 wrote:
Wow, how long ago was that? Didn't KLM retire their MD11 fleet already? I know they're phasing out their 747s as we speak.

Yes, they're retired and replaced by the A330-300.

MalevTU134

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 pm

I don't mean to be grumpy. I don't mean to be rude. I don't mean to be...well...anything. And, yes, I could just click on to the next thread. But...
This has been discussed ad nauseam on a.net....

The OP obviously didn't take 2 minutes to think through his question. It's just another "why no flights from XXX to YYY?" type of thread

Nor did (s)he take 2 seconds to check the spelling or syntax of the thread title.

A.net gone junk.

Capt.Fantastic

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

winginit wrote:
and routes like LAXMBJ (AA, red-eye) only exist because they're heavily subsidized.

American flies LAX-MBJ? I couldn't find it in the current schedules.

Rdh3e

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Capt.Fantastic wrote:
winginit wrote:
and routes like LAXMBJ (AA, red-eye) only exist because they're heavily subsidized.

American flies LAX-MBJ? I couldn't find it in the current schedules.

Was a Friday eastbound redeye and Saturday morning return. Looks like it ended in August and isn't coming back.

LewisNEO

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
LewisNEO wrote:
Janj wrote:

We live in Dallas and just went a few months ago as it was on my bucket list. We enjoyed ourselves, but Cabo still ranks higher for us, mainly because it's so much easier to get to. There are other reasons as well (wind, hotel service, etc), but travel time is a huge factor.

Our routing was DFW-MIA-AUA (4 hour layover in MIA). The return was in reverse with about a 2 hour layover.

Also, while certainly not a deciding factor, the AUA airport blows. The only positive it has going for it is that they offer pre-clearance, but given our Global Entry, coming back into DFW is never problematic at Immigration/Customs.

Traveling from the West Coast would be even worse and take longer. You'd be much better off going to Hawaii or Cabo.

Maybe an off topic remark and question, you mean Cabo in Mexico? Hows that? I am from Europe, grew up between Americans though but never been to Mexico.
I love Aruba, and everything that comes with it, the culture is easy, and I love the Aruban people. Although last time I was there they were facing challenges due to the refugees from Venezuela.

I like Reina Beatrix Airport, easy service and one of the few where you can take your friends with you for a drink, until 30 minutes before boarding. I don't expect much from an airport, as long as it goes. not much high maintenance here ;-) In Aruba I always stay with my local friends, they give me the key of one of their pickups and off I go (with 4 dogs).

FriscoHeavy

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:50 pm

LewisNEO wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
LewisNEO wrote:

Maybe an off topic remark and question, you mean Cabo in Mexico? Hows that? I am from Europe, grew up between Americans though but never been to Mexico.
I love Aruba, and everything that comes with it, the culture is easy, and I love the Aruban people. Although last time I was there they were facing challenges due to the refugees from Venezuela.

I like Reina Beatrix Airport, easy service and one of the few where you can take your friends with you for a drink, until 30 minutes before boarding. I don't expect much from an airport, as long as it goes. not much high maintenance here ;-) In Aruba I always stay with my local friends, they give me the key of one of their pickups and off I go (with 4 dogs).

Yes, Cabo in Mexico.

We absolutely love Cabo and go 1-2 times per year. Already booked for next October.

I was reluctant to go for years, but finally gave in to my wife’s nagging. I’m glad I did.

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:08 pm

LewisNEO wrote:

It's just another holiday sun holiday destination. Europeans go to Greece or Spain for that, Americans go to Mexico. However slowly Mexico is growing as a sun holiday destination for Europeans as well. Cancun is already very popular, both with Americans and with Europeans. However TUI Airways has announced flights between London Gatwick and Los Cabos which will start in april, so it's time for Europeans to check out this "new" destination.

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 pm

steeler83 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I think it was just after Northwest moved all their FF points to KLM, around 2008. And that forward cabin had great space and quite quiet.

compensateme

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Honestly, it doesn’t seem so long ago when TW added LAX-SJU and we heavily debated whether the flight would survive (it didn’t, and AA made a second, unsuccessful attempt). Dang, I’m getting old...

As mentioned, historically CUN and the Caribbean primiarly served then Eastern USA whereas Hawaii and PVR & SJD served the West; ACA was the sole “Sun” market with widespread service. Obviously, that’s gradually changing - more East Coast markets are linked directly to Hawaii, SJD and PVR than ever before, as are Western markets to CUN.

The Caribbean maintains limited service to the East, and I wouldn’t expect that to change anytime soon.

LewisNEO

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:43 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I think it was just after Northwest moved all their FF points to KLM, around 2008. And that forward cabin had great space and quite quiet.

Yeah KL was the last one to quit the PAX MD11. Oct 25th 2014, KL672 from Montreal to Amsterdam was the last scheduled flight.I think there was a special farewell flight too. Pity I never flew on the MD11. They also flew in the 747 but that time is also gone. KL only flies with the A333 and A332 to AUA now. They are not Als newest birds, but very spacious inside also.

longhauler

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:47 pm

compensateme wrote:
Honestly, it doesn’t seem so long ago when TW added LAX-SJU and we heavily debated whether the flight would survive (it didn’t, and AA made a second, unsuccessful attempt). Dang, I’m getting old...

Heck, I am old enough to remember when Delta flew LAX-SJU!

LewisNEO

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 pm

longhauler wrote:
compensateme wrote:

Ouch that old? ;)

MalevTU134

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:20 am

LewisNEO wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
steeler83 wrote:

Yeah KL was the last one to quit the PAX MD11. Oct 25th 2014, KL672 from Montreal to Amsterdam was the last scheduled flight.I think there was a special farewell flight too. Pity I never flew on the MD11. They also flew in the 747 but that time is also gone. KL only flies with the A333 and A332 to AUA now. They are not Als newest birds, but very spacious inside also.

However, KL's 744 kisses the tarmac of neighbouring CUR every day.

LewisNEO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
LewisNEO wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

However, KL's 744 kisses the tarmac of neighbouring CUR every day.

;) I know

FlyRow

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:24 am

readytotaxi wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

The 330's al got refurbished though. Don't know if Y got new seats, but C surely did go lie-flat!

Y got new seats and IFE as well, same as the 777 Y seats.

A388

Re: LAX to Aruba

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm

I hope one day Americans will know of Curacao's existence because they all know Aruba but not Curacao which is only 15 minutes flying from Aruba. One day.... :)

A388

guyanam

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:02 pm

A388 wrote:
I hope one day Americans will know of Curacao's existence because they all know Aruba but not Curacao which is only 15 minutes flying from Aruba. One day.... :)

A388

Its a different product that needs to be promoted better.

citationjet

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
SJU hasn’t been able to maintain LAX flights. If SJU can’t, I don’t see Aruba.

compensateme wrote:
Honestly, it doesn’t seem so long ago when TW added LAX-SJU and we heavily debated whether the flight would survive (it didn’t, and AA made a second, unsuccessful attempt).

longhauler wrote:

If AA, TW and Delta cannot permanently make LAX to SJU work as a non-stop flight, then there is no hope for a non-stop flight to Aruba.

Rdh3e wrote:
The flight would block in at something like 7.5hrs. Not something any rational operator is going to do.

zakuivcustom wrote:
It's definitely a matter of geography - Caribbean is definitely an East Coast market (for USA). Much like how there are not minimal amount of flights from East Coast to SJD/PVR (and of course, Hawaii), same story applied for West Coast to Caribbean.

Geography and flight times are the main reasons why there are very few California to Caribbean non-stop flights. Same reason there are very few east coast non-stop flights to Hawaii.

AWACSooner

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:29 pm

A388 wrote:

A388

Yah, it drives me nuts that everyone flies to AUA or BON from the US, but only AA flies regularly to CUR

winginit

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:42 pm

A388 wrote:

A388

You'll eat those words if Americans ever actually do learn of Curacao's existence and start coming in droves!

But alas, "Curacao, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take ya" didn't quite jive as well for the Beach Boys.

MIflyer12

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Rdh3e wrote:

AA, DL and UA all have large LAX ops and 757s would could do the route handily.

But, again, if LAX-SJU doesn't work there's no need to talk about AUA. The common thread 'Why doesn't somebody fly xxx-yyy?', in the absence of remarks about competition, demand supported by data, alternate destinations, suitable aircraft, visa requirements, et al is just grade-school level. It's an embarrassment.

MalevTU134

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

AA, DL and UA all have large LAX ops and 757s would could do the route handily.

But, again, if LAX-SJU doesn't work there's no need to talk about AUA. The common thread 'Why doesn't somebody fly xxx-yyy?', in the absence of remarks about competition, demand supported by data, alternate destinations, suitable aircraft, visa requirements, et al is just grade-school level. It's an embarrassment.

That is more or less what I said like 30 posts ago, without any reaction from other posters. In fact, I think that kind of threads should be locked or deleted by the mods. They are more of a nuisance than if somebody happens to bring up politics in a thread (which is a sure way to get it locked, and worse).
Alas, at least the thread title has now been corrected...

Newbiepilot

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

citationjet wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
SJU hasn’t been able to maintain LAX flights. If SJU can’t, I don’t see Aruba.

compensateme wrote:
Honestly, it doesn’t seem so long ago when TW added LAX-SJU and we heavily debated whether the flight would survive (it didn’t, and AA made a second, unsuccessful attempt).

longhauler wrote:

If AA, TW and Delta cannot permanently make LAX to SJU work as a non-stop flight, then there is no hope for a non-stop flight to Aruba.

Rdh3e wrote:
The flight would block in at something like 7.5hrs. Not something any rational operator is going to do.

zakuivcustom wrote:
It's definitely a matter of geography - Caribbean is definitely an East Coast market (for USA). Much like how there are not minimal amount of flights from East Coast to SJD/PVR (and of course, Hawaii), same story applied for West Coast to Caribbean.

Geography and flight times are the main reasons why there are very few California to Caribbean non-stop flights. Same reason there are very few east coast non-stop flights to Hawaii.

It is worth noting that Cancun has 6 flights a day on four airlines from LAX. Beach market Tourism is centralized to just a few key destinations from LAX. CUN, PVR, SJD, HNL, OGG, LIH, and KOA all have 5 or more flights a day on multiple airlines. It is quite a bit different from the Northeast since JFK has a plethora of beach market options.

Galwayman

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 pm

winginit wrote:
This has been discussed to exhaustion on airliners. As Janj mentioned, the Caribbean offers essentially the same vacation sights and activities that Hawaii does, and Hawaii is far more convenient (as are Cabo and PVR). Geography and flight timings almost always dictate a cumbersome red-eye between LAX/SFO and the Caribbean whereas you gain time outbound to Hawaii, and routes like LAXMBJ (AA, red-eye) only exist because they're heavily subsidized.

Except the fact that these countries are abroad and offer a bit of other culture ....

NickolayAv

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:06 pm

A388 wrote:

A388

I'm eagerly awaiting when B6 will add BOS-CUR, unfortunately, it doesn't appear like they have any plans as of right now.

zakuivcustom

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Except the fact that these countries are abroad and offer a bit of other culture ....

Depends on which Caribbean destination.

Many of them you're literally talking about Fly into the airport, head into some all-inclusive resort, stay there for few days (not sure what's the average length anyway), fly out. Other culture? You mean just intermingling with other Americans? :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

No, I don't know how much "other culture" there is for those excursion from Cancun to Mayan ruins, either. It's better than staying within some fenced off area, but that's it.

BoeingGuy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:42 pm

longhauler wrote:
compensateme wrote:

I remember it too. It had an SFO tag-on. It was a DC-8 routed SFO-LAX-SJU. I don’t recall if it was a -50 or -61, or either at times.

compensateme

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:56 pm

citationjet wrote:

Nobody made that assertion / that clearly wasn’t the point, but thanks for objecting some necessary sarcasm into what was a lighthearted discussion.

dz09

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Aruba has absolutely nothing to offer in terms of history, sites or culture, food etc.. except for a very few nice beaches.

FriscoHeavy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:13 pm

dz09 wrote:
Aruba has absolutely nothing to offer in terms of history, sites or culture, food etc.. except for a very few nice beaches.

History and sites, I agree with. However, you don't typically go to a beach to discover culture, history and sites. You go to relax.

The food actually surprised the heck out of us down in Aruba. We ate 3 or 4 very solid dinners out of the 5 days we were there. If you're willing to go to higher end places, the food is fantastic. My wife and I do not have a budget for food when we travel - we go to very nice places, typically with a good vibe.

LewisNEO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:54 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
dz09 wrote:

History and sites, I agree with. However, you don't typically go to a beach to discover culture, history and sites. You go to relax.

The food actually surprised the heck out of us down in Aruba. We ate 3 or 4 very solid dinners out of the 5 days we were there. If you're willing to go to higher end places, the food is fantastic. My wife and I do not have a budget for food when we travel - we go to very nice places, typically with a good vibe.

Actually, there is far more history to Aruba than one may think. But the tourist trips don't go specifically into it. Locals know much more. Aruba provided gold for the Kingdom of the Netherlands and had a vital part as a fuel provider during WWII. It was attacked by the Germans which lead to a disruption in the fuel production for the Allied Axis as Aruba had then the largest fuel refinery in the world which provided the British and American troops fuel. The USA had sent a force to protect Aruba for that in cooperation with the Dutch government which was at the time situated with the Dutch Queen in London, but at the time it couldn't prevent the attack. Going more back into history Aruba has been longly inhabited by American Indians, and because of the relative drought it never was a slave trade island like Curacao. Curacao on the other hand proved to be an island that was being used for slave trade at the time. Hence the complete different cultures on those two neighboring islands.

In Aruba the languages are Dutch and Papiamento (Portuguese mix with Dutch and Spanish words and grammar) and of course English because there are so many American visitors. Arubas nature is dry but it has unique nature. part of it is a marine sanctuary, but not like Bonaire. That whole island is a coral reef and the island and its surrounding coral reefs are marine sanctuaries.

When you seek ancient churches basilicas or castles or so, one shouldn't go to Aruba. But there are locals who can show you sites, most tourists will never see. So maybe a trip to Aruba for a starter? :)

FriscoHeavy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:07 pm

LewisNEO wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
dz09 wrote:

Actually, there is far more history to Aruba than one may think. But the tourist trips don't go specifically into it. Locals know much more. Aruba provided gold for the Kingdom of the Netherlands and had a vital part as a fuel provider during WWII. It was attacked by the Germans which lead to a disruption in the fuel production for the Allied Axis as Aruba had then the largest fuel refinery in the world which provided the British and American troops fuel. The USA had sent a force to protect Aruba for that in cooperation with the Dutch government which was at the time situated with the Dutch Queen in London, but at the time it couldn't prevent the attack. Going more back into history Aruba has been longly inhabited by American Indians, and because of the relative drought it never was a slave trade island like Curacao. Curacao on the other hand proved to be an island that was being used for slave trade at the time. Hence the complete different cultures on those two neighboring islands.

In Aruba the languages are Dutch and Papiamento (Portuguese mix with Dutch and Spanish words and grammar) and of course English because there are so many American visitors. Arubas nature is dry but it has unique nature. part of it is a marine sanctuary, but not like Bonaire. That whole island is a coral reef and the island and its surrounding coral reefs are marine sanctuaries.

When you seek ancient churches basilicas or castles or so, one shouldn't go to Aruba. But there are locals who can show you sites, most tourists will never see. So maybe a trip to Aruba for a starter? :)

Very good info. You appear to be very knowledgeable on the island. Much appreciated.

citationjet

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:09 pm

compensateme wrote:
citationjet wrote:

Nobody made that assertion / that clearly wasn’t the point, but thanks for objecting some necessary sarcasm into what was a lighthearted discussion.

Replies #8, 22 and 24 all mentioned LAX to SJU service prior to my comment.
No sarcasm was intended. My point was that if Puerto Rico, (with a population of over 3 million) cannot support a non-stop flight from LAX, it is difficult to imagine a non-stop flight to Aruba (with a population of 105,000). There are numerous islands in the Caribbean with larger tourism numbers that don't have non-stop LAX service.
Last edited by citationjet on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LewisNEO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:10 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
LewisNEO wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Very good info. You appear to be very knowledgeable on the island. Much appreciated.

Thnx man, my best mate lives there and I've always had a weakness for those islands. Anyway, enough off topic. ;)

winginit

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Galwayman wrote:
winginit wrote:

You're grossly overestimating the activities of your average American tourists at Caribbean destinations.

Check into all-inclusive resort.
Sit on the beach, eat.
Check out of all-inclusive resort, go back to airport.

Sound like a cultural experience to you?

guyanam

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:33 pm

winginit wrote:
A388 wrote:

A388

You'll eat those words if Americans ever actually do learn of Curacao's existence and start coming in droves!

But alas, "Curacao, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take ya" didn't quite jive as well for the Beach Boys.

AUA is for the American who wants a generic vacation. Yes those generic types who despise Caribbean people and culture so they sit on a beach, and whine that there is no culture and nothing to see. These aren't the types who will do CUR.

CUR is its own unique product with its own unique vibe. Until its promoted better it will remain niche. Those who do go report on it favorably. Its urban attractions need to be better known. It isn't a "beach and casino" island like AUA even though it has those.

Actually many Caribbean islands do not even want that generic all inclusive type as there are few benefits to the island beyond a few jobs and hotel taxes. Generally the islands that focus on the all inclusive are places where crime is an issue, or where the gov't doesn't want locals to interact with tourists (Cuba). Increasingly the islands want tourists to leave the properties so that the taxis, restaurants and other entities outside of the hotel can benefit.

Natflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
LewisNEO wrote:

It's just another holiday sun holiday destination. Europeans go to Greece or Spain for that, Americans go to Mexico. However slowly Mexico is growing as a sun holiday destination for Europeans as well. Cancun is already very popular, both with Americans and with Europeans. However TUI Airways has announced flights between London Gatwick and Los Cabos which will start in april, so it's time for Europeans to check out this "new" destination.

Los Cabos is a great place. Not sure the “Ibiza crowd” is what it needs...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos