LondonXtreme
Topic Author
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 pm

TP will start 5 weekly SFO-LIS from 2019
Level just transfer BCN service from OAK to SFO and this flight is year round.

How come IB cannot even sustain 2-3 weekly MAD-SFO?
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:30 pm

They barely have been able to sustain LAX ops which is not even year round.
 
User avatar
janders
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:35 pm

With the Atlantic JV with AA they will go where partners believe is the most beneficial.
At LAX which is not only larger local market, they have benefits of AA hub and connectivity.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
910A
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:37 pm

UPlog wrote:
They barely have been able to sustain LAX ops which is not even year round.


Pretty sure IB operates year around from LAX to MAD, this time of year it's down to 3x a week on a 332.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23507
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:42 pm

West Coast-Spain is inherently a leisure market more optimal for likes of Norwegian/Level.

IB runs LAX seasonally, and only this year extended schedule beyond normal October end to also cover Xmas/New Years also.

As previously mentioned such route decisions likely made mindful of JV interest and obviously LAX far larger station to connect with and gain customer base from partner AA.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
janders
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:45 pm

910A wrote:

Pretty sure IB operates year around from LAX to MAD, this time of year it's down to 3x a week on a 332.


No, ends January 15 again. They added service to cover holiday season this year.

Norwegian is year round.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
aviationlover7
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:14 pm

TAP new flight to SFO will be tough competition to Iberia....besides SFO is a Star Alliance stronghold so most likely Iberia will end the route sooner or later - thoughts?
 
Duartelmatos
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 am

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm

TAP’s route LIS-SFO is having a huge success in tema of tickets sold as well as LIS-ORD and LIS-IAD
 
babastud
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 am

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:44 pm

aviationlover7 wrote:
TAP new flight to SFO will be tough competition to Iberia....besides SFO is a Star Alliance stronghold so most likely Iberia will end the route sooner or later - thoughts?



IB just started serving SFO on a seasonal basis a few times a week Only this YEAR!! Who says this route does not work? Show me the figures this is not a successful flight..... The point is IB is run by a conservative group that just does not throw darts to a map, like say a WOW or Norwegian. There route planning is very conservative. That being said the IB has served LAX on or off for years now, and it works. The demand for west coast to MAD has been historically lower then say a Barcelona which is more popular for leisure and global tourism. Not saying that MAD is not popular, it's just less demand but higher business and tech demand route. All things being equal from what i herd was that IB did well this year and is coming back, no need for year round as both the weather turns not great in both places during winter months and lets face it, most west coasters would rather go to say Hawaii or Mexico in January then Spain.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5058
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Iberia is short on new frames, so they have to choose where to send the new planes.

IB probably sees more profits flying to Latin America (which have usually higher fares) and consolidating MAD as the leading hub from Europe to Latin America than adding more flights in the flash sale battleground between Europe and the US (read Norwegian, Icelandair, etc). Also for California there is LHR and BA or any AA hub in the East Coast (TATL JV).

In addition Spain-California has seen recently a boom. A couple of years ago there was only MAD-LAX on Iberia. Now there are 6 routes (MAD-LAX on IB/DY, MAD-SFO on IB, BCN-LAX on DY and BCN-SFO on Level/DY) and BCN-LAX on Level that was recently dropped.

babastud wrote:
The demand for west coast to MAD has been historically lower then say a Barcelona which is more popular for leisure and global tourism. Not saying that MAD is not popular, it's just less demand but higher business and tech demand route..


Lower business route? MAD is a way bigger and wealthier local market than BCN. Just look at the massive difference between MAD and BCN in services to the East Coast (e.g. American adding a second daily DFW-MAD while BCN has 0 flights to Texas). Not to start with NYC, BOS or MIA.

LEVEL dropped BCN-LAX but LAX still keeps Norwegian and Iberia to MAD.

In any case, maybe there are more relations between MAD and LAX, and BCN and SFO. After all, Madrid is more an LA type of city, and Barcelona is more a SFO. Just some thoughts. But if you look at the number of routes from each city, there is some reality to it.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:40 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
In addition Spain-California has seen recently a boom. A couple of years ago there was only MAD-LAX on Iberia. Now there are 6 routes (MAD-LAX on IB/DY, MAD-SFO on IB, BCN-LAX on DY and BCN-SFO on Level/DY) and BCN-LAX on Level that was recently dropped.


DY is BCN-OAK, not SFO
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5058
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
In addition Spain-California has seen recently a boom. A couple of years ago there was only MAD-LAX on Iberia. Now there are 6 routes (MAD-LAX on IB/DY, MAD-SFO on IB, BCN-LAX on DY and BCN-SFO on Level/DY) and BCN-LAX on Level that was recently dropped.


And BCN-OAK on DY


Thanks. I thought DY had also moved OAK to SFO like they are doing with LGW and LEVEL is doing with BCN (that is why I said BCN-SFO on Level/DY). In any case, the airport doesn't change much. So basically there are today:

- 3 routes from LA to Spain (2 to MAD and 1 to BCN)
- 3 routes from the Bay Area to Spain (1 to MAD and 2 to BCN).

That is up from only 1 route (MAD-LAX) 2 or 3 years ago.
 
dcajet
Posts: 3753
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Iberia at SFO

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Duartelmatos wrote:
TAP’s route LIS-SFO is having a huge success in tema of tickets sold as well as LIS-ORD and LIS-IAD


Too early to call these new routes a success, let alone a "huge success". They are a good 5-6 months away of being a reality. At this point in time. if 20-25% of the inventory has been reserved. you'd be in good shape.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos