Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:05 am

When using Flightradar24, I spotted DL9979 flying NRT-CAN in N829MH. The plane landed at 2 a.m. local time, strange for commercial flights. This is the second time I spotted Delta planes in CAN.
As known, Delta doesn’t serve CAN. Why would the plane come to CAN in the emptiest time of it?
Last edited by B1168 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Josh32121
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 am

Might be for maintenance or cabin refurb performed at CAN.
ATLien
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:11 am

Josh32121 wrote:
Might be for maintenance or cabin refurb performed at CAN.


China has just completely gotten rid of 767 for pax service. CAN seems like a strange place for a plane maintainence, nor was it a legitimate place for retirement, for it just commenced HNL-NRT. Cabin refurb seems strange for the same reason. Seems to me that they should go to HKG for tasks of such,
 
Samrnpage
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:21 am

Secret flight for the US government I believe.
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:26 am

Samrnpage wrote:
Secret flight for the US government I believe.


Crowds’ eyes are the sharpest. We even managed to estimate Trump’s visit to the Middle East. Nor would US gov rent a relatively old plane of such.
Jokes aside, that plane won’t come to CAN for no reason. Delta’s for profit.
 
MO11
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:28 am

B1168 wrote:
Josh32121 wrote:
Might be for maintenance or cabin refurb performed at CAN.


China has just completely gotten rid of 767 for pax service. CAN seems like a strange place for a plane maintainence, nor was it a legitimate place for retirement, for it just commenced HNL-NRT. Cabin refurb seems strange for the same reason. Seems to me that they should go to HKG for tasks of such,


GAMECO does heavy maintenance at CAN. Lots of MRO work in China.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:32 am

Maintenance visit. It was mentioned in the DL fleet refurbishmemt thread.
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:34 am

MO11 wrote:
GAMECO does heavy maintenance at CAN. Lots of MRO work in China.


GAMECO? That is a nearly-forgotten thing. Fairly, that is a large aircraft maintainence firm.
So, how much work is that 764 demanding, so much that the round trip to CAN(with 0 revenue) is worthy, especially when it is an 18 year old plane, just a few years away from being scrapped?
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:38 am

Runway28L wrote:
Maintenance visit. It was mentioned in the DL fleet refurbishmemt thread.


I would appreciate a link to the thread. Thanks very much.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8507
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:39 am

It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:45 am

B1168 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Maintenance visit. It was mentioned in the DL fleet refurbishmemt thread.


I would appreciate a link to the thread. Thanks very much.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382503&start=800

Third-to-last reply
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:47 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.
Last edited by B1168 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
FlightLevel360
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:49 am

It is not a D1 suites refurb. The first aircraft to receive that mod will be N828MH (fleet # 1804) which should ferry out to Guangzhou in the next couple weeks.

N829MH is scheduled for a heavy maintenance check, also in CAN.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!
 
777Mech
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:55 am

B1168 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


They have more cycles than American operated frames.
 
deltalaw
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:13 am

B1168 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


“Have” to hang onto these old planes?!? The most profitable airline in the world doesn’t have to do anything except run a smart business...
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:18 am

deltalaw wrote:
B1168 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


“Have” to hang onto these old planes?!? The most profitable airline in the world doesn’t have to do anything except run a smart business...


They have 21 764s and 58 more 763s, per Flightradar24. Turns out, they don’t even have that many Airbus widebody planes (11*332+31*333+12*359+2*339) combined. I don’t think they will have a good alternative to those aging planes very soon, for they quitted 787, apart from ordering 321XLR and other airbus widebody planes.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:47 am

777Mech wrote:
B1168 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


They have more cycles than American operated frames.


That and Chinese carriers seems to have infinite amounts of money just to get fresh, new planes. :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

B1168 wrote:
They have 21 764s and 58 more 763s, per Flightradar24. Turns out, they don’t even have that many Airbus widebody planes (11*332+31*333+12*359+2*339) combined. I don’t think they will have a good alternative to those aging planes very soon, for they quitted 787, apart from ordering 321XLR and other airbus widebody planes.


Umm...they should have 15 A359s (Since they deferred 10 of them to 2025) and 35 A330s by the time deliveries are done. And as DL has shown, age doesn't matter as long as you do the necessary upkeep and have a extremely good maintenance team. What? Not a fan of those 40-years old DC-9? :cloudnine: . Oh, and don't forget the (well, still currently mythical) Boeing new MoM aircraft. You betcha that DL is going to get a bunch of those (Yes, DL is still going to buy Boeing :shock: )

Plus as 777Mech already mentioned, those Chinese planes have high cycles. Take FM for example. IIRC they run their 767 on routes which they're using the A333 on right now (SHA-HKG/HND/TSA), all of those flights are only like 2 hrs. (Their A332 do run those mid/long-haul routes to Australia, but I'm 100% sure that FM never ran their 767 to Australia). MF's B757 IIRC runs on XMN-PEK and FOC-PEK almost exclusively.
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:55 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Umm...they should have 15 A359s (Since they deferred 10 of them to 2025) and 35 A330s by the time deliveries are done. And as DL has shown, age doesn't matter as long as you do the necessary upkeep and have a extremely good maintenance team. What? Not a fan of those 40-years old DC-9? :cloudnine: . Oh, and don't forget the (well, still currently mythical) Boeing new MoM aircraft. You betcha that DL is going to get a bunch of those (Yes, DL is still going to buy Boeing :shock: )

Plus as 777Mech already mentioned, those Chinese planes have high cycles. Take FM for example. IIRC they run their 767 on routes which they're using the A333 on right now (SHA-HKG/HND/TSA), all of those flights are only like 2 hrs. (Their A332 do run those mid/long-haul routes to Australia, but I'm 100% sure that FM never ran their 767 to Australia). MF's B757 IIRC runs on XMN-PEK and FOC-PEK almost exclusively.


Turns out, I dislike DC-9.
Regardless, older planes mean more expenses. Neglecting A321XLR, Delta has no option but to keep using B767s until potentially 2030 (you’re replacing dozens of widebody planes and it’s more than an overnight job). By that time, the last plane will be up to 30 years old and the cost of finding the matching mechanics and spare parts will cause them to regret the decision forever.
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:57 am

No mention of the equally-old A320's, 738's or 772's? 1988 is talking again it seems...

Also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the XLR is available.
Last edited by 1989worstyear on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
Alphazone
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:06 am

B1168 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Umm...they should have 15 A359s (Since they deferred 10 of them to 2025) and 35 A330s by the time deliveries are done. And as DL has shown, age doesn't matter as long as you do the necessary upkeep and have a extremely good maintenance team. What? Not a fan of those 40-years old DC-9? :cloudnine: . Oh, and don't forget the (well, still currently mythical) Boeing new MoM aircraft. You betcha that DL is going to get a bunch of those (Yes, DL is still going to buy Boeing :shock: )

Plus as 777Mech already mentioned, those Chinese planes have high cycles. Take FM for example. IIRC they run their 767 on routes which they're using the A333 on right now (SHA-HKG/HND/TSA), all of those flights are only like 2 hrs. (Their A332 do run those mid/long-haul routes to Australia, but I'm 100% sure that FM never ran their 767 to Australia). MF's B757 IIRC runs on XMN-PEK and FOC-PEK almost exclusively.


Turns out, I dislike DC-9.
Regardless, older planes mean more expenses. Neglecting A321XLR, Delta has no option but to keep using B767s until potentially 2030 (you’re replacing dozens of widebody planes and it’s more than an overnight job). By that time, the last plane will be up to 30 years old and the cost of finding the matching mechanics and spare parts will cause them to regret the decision forever.


Yeah you are an expert, why don't you present yourself for employment to the airlines.
N664US The Spirit of Beijing
N670US World Plane - 50 Years Bridging the Pacific / The Alliance Spirit
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai
N675NW Spirit of the Northwest People
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:10 am

1989worstyear wrote:
No mention of the equally-old A320's, 738's or 772's?

1988 is talking again it seems...


Those are already gradually replaced by 7Ms,32Ns and 359s. Yet 767 wasn’t replaced. That is the risky part.
 
B1168
Topic Author
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:12 am

Alphazone wrote:

Yeah you are an expert, why don't you present yourself for employment to the airlines.


Nobody is. Nor is anybody replacing them. We are defending our places only, and airline people aren’t always right.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:18 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Plus as 777Mech already mentioned, those Chinese planes have high cycles. Take FM for example. IIRC they run their 767 on routes which they're using the A333 on right now (SHA-HKG/HND/TSA), all of those flights are only like 2 hrs. (Their A332 do run those mid/long-haul routes to Australia, but I'm 100% sure that FM never ran their 767 to Australia). MF's B757 IIRC runs on XMN-PEK and FOC-PEK almost exclusively.


FM absolutely ran 767’s to Australia. Google is your friend:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7137850
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:23 am

deltalaw wrote:
B1168 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


“Have” to hang onto these old planes?!? The most profitable airline in the world doesn’t have to do anything except run a smart business...

Delta, like Northwest before them, doesn’t like getting rid of paid-for airplanes. Both NWAnd DLhave run some types to 30+ years.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:31 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Plus as 777Mech already mentioned, those Chinese planes have high cycles. Take FM for example. IIRC they run their 767 on routes which they're using the A333 on right now (SHA-HKG/HND/TSA), all of those flights are only like 2 hrs. (Their A332 do run those mid/long-haul routes to Australia, but I'm 100% sure that FM never ran their 767 to Australia). MF's B757 IIRC runs on XMN-PEK and FOC-PEK almost exclusively.


FM absolutely ran 767’s to Australia. Google is your friend:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7137850


I stand corrected :).

BTW, most pax doesn't really care (or know) that much about how old a plane is. What they CAN tell, though, is that if your cabin looks worn old and tired, then they know it's an old plane. Throw in new seats and voila, you can't even tell that you're in a 20 y/o plane.
 
reltney
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:42 am

B1168 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Umm...they should have 15 A359s (Since they deferred 10 of them to 2025) and 35 A330s by the time deliveries are done. And as DL has shown, age doesn't matter as long as you do the necessary upkeep and have a extremely good maintenance team. What? Not a fan of those 40-years old DC-9? :cloudnine: . Oh, and don't forget the (well, still currently mythical) Boeing new MoM aircraft. You betcha that DL is going to get a bunch of those (Yes, DL is still going to buy Boeing :shock: )

Plus as 777Mech already mentioned, those Chinese planes have high cycles. Take FM for example. IIRC they run their 767 on routes which they're using the A333 on right now (SHA-HKG/HND/TSA), all of those flights are only like 2 hrs. (Their A332 do run those mid/long-haul routes to Australia, but I'm 100% sure that FM never ran their 767 to Australia). MF's B757 IIRC runs on XMN-PEK and FOC-PEK almost exclusively.


Turns out, I dislike DC-9.
Regardless, older planes mean more expenses. Neglecting A321XLR, Delta has no option but to keep using B767s until potentially 2030 (you’re replacing dozens of widebody planes and it’s more than an overnight job). By that time, the last plane will be up to 30 years old and the cost of finding the matching mechanics and spare parts will cause them to regret the decision forever.




Right. Like they regretted the DC-9, 727, L1011. Did they regret that decision a billion times...... no.... Just don’t get it do you...
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 am

B1168 wrote:
Turns out, I dislike DC-9.

You don't like the DC-9? What are you doing on A.net???
:rotfl:

B1168 wrote:
Regardless, older planes mean more expenses. Neglecting A321XLR, Delta has no option but to keep using B767s until potentially 2030 (you’re replacing dozens of widebody planes and it’s more than an overnight job). By that time, the last plane will be up to 30 years old and the cost of finding the matching mechanics and spare parts will cause them to regret the decision forever.

Older planes mean more expenses for upkeep, but it also means they are paid for, so you don't have that expense. Delta has gotten very good at keeping older airplanes in service - new mechanics can be trained to work on them, and they seem to find a way to find spares.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
reltney
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 am

B1168 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
GAMECO does heavy maintenance at CAN. Lots of MRO work in China.


GAMECO? That is a nearly-forgotten thing. Fairly, that is a large aircraft maintainence firm.
So, how much work is that 764 demanding, so much that the round trip to CAN(with 0 revenue) is worthy, especially when it is an 18 year old plane, just a few years away from being scrapped?



Ahhhh, in your dreams.... you must not know anything about Delta, planes, aircraft maintenance and how to make money. Just look at the facts and reference the history of the airline. The armchair airline people seldom have a rational thought on what an airlines motives are. Look at the history of the airline and each CEO. Pretty easy.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Lots of interesting responses in this thread. Yes, the plane is going to CAN for a heavy check. It is not at all uncommon to fly airplanes a long ways to get a heavy check done. It is all about the labor rates. I recall when DL began sending the heavy work out of house. I was working on a heavy check crew in ATL. We were told there was no way we could compete for the work. If we came in and worked for free the outsourced price would still be lower.

Is the767 too old? The 767-300 fleet is getting there. I think we are down to just a couple of the non ER models and they will be retired at the end of the US football charter season. I bet the older ER models will soon be making their way to the retirement list in the near future. The 400's will be around for a while. Yes DL passed on the 787, the one for one 767 replacement. Instead we are going the some smaller some larger route for now. The A321 and the A330 fleets are growing. The 321 flying the thinner domestic routes while the 330 models taking over some of the fatter international routes.

Delta must be doing something right. This Feb I'm expecting my largest profit sharing check of my career. It will be mach larger than any of our competitors give their employees.
 
kiowa
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:38 pm

deltalaw wrote:
B1168 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It may be the Delta One suites refurb.

If - by 'few' - you mean seven or eight years away from being scrapped, yeh, maybe.


In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


“Have” to hang onto these old planes?!? The most profitable airline in the world doesn’t have to do anything except run a smart business...


(Thread drift by fanboy). but in response-

That would be American Airlines according to this unless you want to judge by a small sample.

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/13588/t ... -the-globe
 
Sancho99504
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
Lots of interesting responses in this thread. Yes, the plane is going to CAN for a heavy check. It is not at all uncommon to fly airplanes a long ways to get a heavy check done. It is all about the labor rates. I recall when DL began sending the heavy work out of house. I was working on a heavy check crew in ATL. We were told there was no way we could compete for the work. If we came in and worked for free the outsourced price would still be lower.

Is the767 too old? The 767-300 fleet is getting there. I think we are down to just a couple of the non ER models and they will be retired at the end of the US football charter season. I bet the older ER models will soon be making their way to the retirement list in the near future. The 400's will be around for a while. Yes DL passed on the 787, the one for one 767 replacement. Instead we are going the some smaller some larger route for now. The A321 and the A330 fleets are growing. The 321 flying the thinner domestic routes while the 330 models taking over some of the fatter international routes.

Delta must be doing something right. This Feb I'm expecting my largest profit sharing check of my career. It will be mach larger than any of our competitors give their employees.

All those Asian carriers have seen their profits drastically drop throughout 2018 while we will be getting a huge increase to our profit sharing checks. I am very happy that we're doing it all wrong.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC
 
Deltran757
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Strange Delta flight

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm

kiowa wrote:
deltalaw wrote:
B1168 wrote:

In the Chinese standard, any passenger plane over 20 years old is irregular. The B-2051 (longest lived 777 served in CZ) served 22 years; B-2570 (one of the last few 767s to quit service in Shanghai Airlines, the last airline to quit 767 service in China) was 19 years old at retirement; One of the last 757s for pax service, B-2868 operated by Xiamen Airlines, were just 17 years old at retirement! In China, we just get rid of old planes earlier.
If Delta had ever bought their 787 (to this day, Infinite Flight still have a 787-8 in Delta livery), they wouldn’t have to hang on to these old planes.


“Have” to hang onto these old planes?!? The most profitable airline in the world doesn’t have to do anything except run a smart business...


(Thread drift by fanboy). but in response-

That would be American Airlines according to this unless you want to judge by a small sample.

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/13588/t ... -the-globe


That Article is from July 2017. Any updated ones for July 2018?
To see the world... One plane at a time

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos