ek604
Topic Author

Luxair LUX-SCN-HAM, why?

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi all, was recently in HAM and saw LG’s LUX via SCN on the departure board. Are any of you all aware of why this flight exists? Particularly since SCN-LUX averages a flight time of 14 minutes.

Thanks!

777klm

Re: Luxair LUX-SCN-HAM, why?

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Luxair has positioned a crj700 (leased from Adria) at SCN for flights to HAM and TXL. I guess the SCN-LUX is just for positioning the aircraft.
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

passyflyer

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:09 pm

The wet-leased Crj700 is only doing the flight to Berlin. The flight to HAM is a classic milk run. Luxair sees opportunity in SCN but does not want to base a plane there. So they fly from LUX to SCN first and then on to HAM. In the past they have done the same to MUC... I have heard they will soon fly non stop between LUX and HAM so this will end

sixfootscream

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Because there is a market. SCN - HAM - SCN takes German passengers. There is also a flight MHG-HAM-MHG by M2. LG simply uses this stop to ferry more passengers between LUX-SCN-HAM.

davidjohnson6

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Luxembourg airport to Saarbrucken city centre is about 1h10 by road. I can understand that Saarbrucked is worthy of a few domestic routes but it seems like Luxair should either have aircraft based overnight in SCN or just stick with LUX as their sole hub. Right now they seem in a half-way house but probably the LUX-SCN legs are either annoying pax and/or costing Luxair big piles of cash

rlwynn

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Air Berlin flew the route 4 times per day. 170,000 passengers per year.

The 1.5 Million € subsidy helps a bit for sure.
I can drive faster than you

Luxair747SP

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:50 pm

It will not end. SCN (my home airport) is just upgrading the runway and therefor the flight is direct for 4 weeks. Also the passenger share is around 50-50 for LUX and SCN. And it’s so comfy that it’s worth the premium. Especially for commuters with limited time

Luxair747SP

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:36 am

Actually to give some more insight: some years ago Luxair flew both LUX-SCN-HAM and LUX-SCN-TXL as a milk run with mostly Q400. They also had a E135/145 based in SCN for flights to MUC but when their ERJ fleet got phased out they stopped flying that route. There was also a through flight SCN-LUX-LCY for a very short time, but this proved not to work. After AB started to increase TXL up to 4 daily, LG pulled off the TXL route and started to offer it directly ex LUX. After AB folded, SCN suddenly has no link to TXL, so the politics actively tried to get the connection back and LG came up with the solution of wet leasing an Adria CRJ for those ops.
MUC is also operating these days again by an ERJ of BMI regional. All these routes are now code shared with Lufthansa so it’s very comfortable.
In between the short lived OLT express tried several routes ex SCN with Fokker100 (SEN, VIE, MUC and more planned) but the result was a lot of lost money and they went out of business.
LG also tried some holiday routes ex SCN in the past with 737 but that market is more with other airlines as Tuifly and Sunexpress.
But back to topic: the HAM route is very profitable for LG and fares to SCN are usually higher than all the way to LUX. RT fares under 200-250€ are pretty much non existent if there isn’t a sale and every single time I used this service it was rammed full.
Also LG is still full service and offers decent sandwiches and a full open bar onboard

SCQ83

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Luxembourg airport to Saarbrucken city centre is about 1h10 by road. I can understand that Saarbrucked is worthy of a few domestic routes but it seems like Luxair should either have aircraft based overnight in SCN or just stick with LUX as their sole hub. Right now they seem in a half-way house but probably the LUX-SCN legs are either annoying pax and/or costing Luxair big piles of cash

The issue is that LUX-HAM by road takes more than 6 hours, by train more than 7 (with at least one change of trains in Germany) and there is no other non-stop competitor. So the only other option would be something like LUX-FRA-HAM with Lufthansa, and staying for half an hour in SCN seems a more convenient option.

Luxair747SP wrote:
LG also tried some holiday routes ex SCN in the past with 737 but that market is more with other airlines as Tuifly and Sunexpress.
But back to topic: the HAM route is very profitable for LG and fares to SCN are usually higher than all the way to LUX. RT fares under 200-250€ are pretty much non existent if there isn’t a sale and every single time I used this service it was rammed full.
Also LG is still full service and offers decent sandwiches and a full open bar onboard

I was surprised Eurowings didn't jump into Berlin-SCN, but then I imagine the market is too small to sustain multiple daily flights. It is also interesting EW's relation with airports near the border. A few years ago I flew MST-SXF on Germanwings but now it is closed. EW also operated NRN-MUC for a while maybe 2 years ago... gone.

I am also surprised they never launched Berlin-LUX. easyJet launched the route a couple of years ago, and Ryanair is starting their own flights next year. So there is definitely non-business demand on that route. Maybe LUX-HAM on Eurowings could be worth trying for them. An advantage is that train is not competitive and it is a short flight.

And of course there is always EIN which has no link to Berlin. Or SXB, but with FKB up the road, that is more understandable.

mchei

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 am

A friend of mine is based in Hamburg but has a couple of customers in the region of Saarbrücken and Mannheim. He regularly takes these flights and he is very happy that they exist as they allow him to visit these customers without needing to spend a night in a hotel. As it was already said, fares are high and it would be impossible to make a same day RT by train or car. He also told me that the flight is not full at all when the plane arrives from Luxembourg in Saarbrücken. Most of the passengers would get off and on in Saarbrücken.
On a side note, the flight to Mannheim is on a Dornier 328, a rare sight these days!
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

Luxair747SP

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

I was surprised Eurowings didn't jump into Berlin-SCN, but then I imagine the market is too small to sustain multiple daily flights. It is also interesting EW's relation with airports near the border. A few years ago I flew MST-SXF on Germanwings but now it is closed. EW also operated NRN-MUC for a while maybe 2 years ago... gone.

I am also surprised they never launched Berlin-LUX. easyJet launched the route a couple of years ago, and Ryanair is starting their own flights next year. So there is definitely non-business demand on that route. Maybe LUX-HAM on Eurowings could be worth trying for them. An advantage is that train is not competitive and it is a short flight.

And of course there is always EIN which has no link to Berlin. Or SXB, but with FKB up the road, that is more understandable.

Actually I think it would have been a nice market for the EW Q400 which are essentially the same frames that flew the same route for AB before.
I heard the loads on the three daily CRJ flights are good.
4U before had a flight from ZWQ to TXL but it wasn’t too successful unfortunately.

There were also rumours bout KLC starting a daily SCN link. That would have been very interesting to see if that worked out but I think with cross border catchment area and the hub in AMS it might have worked well.
From where do you have that quite deep knowledge of most small domestic airports?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos