Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Jetbridge incident at BWI

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 am

https://twitter.com/bwi_airport/status/ ... 36161?s=21

Sounds like a jetbridge failed just now. Gate E10, so probable a WN international arrival. Six people transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

TMccrury

Re: Jetbridge incident at BWI

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 am

Wow. I pray those injured will be ok soon.

Runway28L

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:36 am

Ever since I started hearing about incidents like this, I’ve been much more cognizant about what could go wrong whenever I’m boarding or deboarding a plane.

I also try to never walk or stand directly underneath one whenever I’m on the ramp at all times.

Newbiepilot

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:46 am

I am surprised there arent more jetbridge incidents. They are very expensive and not always maintained in the best of condition.

lawair

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:47 am

That jetbridge was newly installed in the past year, wasn't it?

zuckie13

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:01 am

lawair wrote:

Yeah, that should be a new jetbidge unless it was bought secondhand.

Maybe some manufacturing flaw?

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:05 am

lawair wrote:

I didn’t even think about that. That’s correct; this was one of the new gates in the Concourse E expansion.

The flight was indeed WN822 from Punta Cana.

zuckie13

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 am

Some local coverage.

It was a WN flight, and involved someone that had a medical issue during the flight apparently.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/6-injured-after-jet-bridge-incident-at-bwi-marshall/25707884

Prost

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:11 am

That poor woman. What an unfortunate series of events.

santi319

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:13 am

That woman reminds me of Final Destination.

Glad everyone is and will be ok.

Runway28L

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:28 am

So since this was an international flight, I have a question...

Since those six individuals had to go to the hospital, it’s certain that they did not pass through customs yet. So what happens once they are well enough to be released? They technically haven’t “officially” entered back into the United States yet. What are the logistics like in a scenario such as this?

Hoping for a speedy recovery for those injured!

iad51fl

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:35 am

The images I have seen do not look like a collapse of the jetbridge. Both screws look level, tires look low but they all do.

If I had to guess (from my years of driving those things) they were in a rush to get the jetbridge on the aircraft and the front bumper or door got caught and raised the jetway with the change in weight when EMS got on board. When they got off, the weight on the end of the jetway pushed it past whatever it was stuck on and it dropped, throwing people when the tires hit the ground.

Will be interested to see if they had put the auto-leveler on in the rush to get EMS on the aircraft.

Chris

phljjs

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 am

CBP would have already run the passengers through the various databases prior to the flights arrival. Unless one of the passengers was to be targeted for secondary screening, it's not too big of a deal. If necessary, CBP Officers will be dispatched to the hospitals to properly process the passengers.
Runway28L wrote:
So since this was an international flight, I have a question...

Since those six individuals had to go to the hospital, it’s certain that they did not pass through customs yet. So what happens once they are well enough to be released? They technically haven’t “officially” entered back into the United States yet. What are the logistics like in a scenario such as this?

Hoping for a speedy recovery for those injured!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

enilria

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:12 am

I’ve heard of passengers and employees falling through the floor of rusted jetways before.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:33 am

I always try to be cognizant of not standing too near/straddling the gap. Obviously you have to cross it but I prefer not to be too vulnerable for too long in case the thing moves/drops.

Flaps

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 am

iad51fl wrote:
The images I have seen do not look like a collapse of the jetbridge. Both screws look level, tires look low but they all do.

If I had to guess (from my years of driving those things) they were in a rush to get the jetbridge on the aircraft and the front bumper or door got caught and raised the jetway with the change in weight when EMS got on board. When they got off, the weight on the end of the jetway pushed it past whatever it was stuck on and it dropped, throwing people when the tires hit the ground.

Will be interested to see if they had put the auto-leveler on in the rush to get EMS on the aircraft.

Chris

With the small amount of info available I would hazard a guess that they either forgot to engage the auto leveler or the auto leveler failed.

aviationaware

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I always try to be cognizant of not standing too near/straddling the gap. Obviously you have to cross it but I prefer not to be too vulnerable for too long in case the thing moves/drops.

Paranoid much? It's not like this is a daily occurrence...

smokeybandit

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Here's someone with a running play by play of the incident. Yet, the jetbridge looks just fine

https://twitter.com/Tylerfishergmu/stat ... 2241913857

canyonblue17

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:42 pm

aviationaware wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Paranoid much? It's not like this is a daily occurrence...

Paranoid is another word for safe. It only takes once to get injured or killed if a jet bridge fails.

MIflyer12

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Paranoia is also a recognized personality disorder.

Jet bridges are pretty safe. How many Americans have been killed or injured among the ~750 million travelers this year? Compare that to the act of driving a car to the airport - or slipping in the bath tub.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Jet bridges are pretty safe. How many Americans have been killed or injured among the ~750 million travelers this year? Compare that to the act of driving a car to the airport - or slipping in the bath tub.

Good Lord. If the fact that I choose not to stand straddling the jetbridge-aircraft gap means I have a personality disorder, I can’t imagine what you’d think if you saw me look both ways as I enter an intersection. Lol.

And fwiw, six people were injured yesterday. Not sure if you missed the context.

ikramerica

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Reports are a hole in the bottom of the jetway somehow.

Mainland

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Reports are a hole in the bottom of the jetway somehow.

Just beat me to it! Here's a tweet from last night from a DC reporter saying that an eyewitness "says there is a hole in the bottom of the jetway"

https://twitter.com/adamlongotv/status/1079195329994674177?s=11

WNCrew

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:02 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Here's someone with a running play by play of the incident. Yet, the jetbridge looks just fine

I thought the same thing, but if you look at the photos in the most recent post:

https://twitter.com/adamlongotv/status/ ... 74177?s=11

...you can see that while the overall structure of the jetbridge is intact, it was indeed a "partial" failure because the section of floor at the end of the jetbridge between the aircraft itself and the jetbridge door is what failed, collapsing down an effectively dropping from beneath the victims' feet.
Last edited by WNCrew on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smokeybandit

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:04 pm

A bit more detail

"The FAA, in an email to WTOP, said seven people fell to the ground and were treated, including four medics, two Southwest Airlines employees and a sick passenger."

https://wtop.com/anne-arundel-county/20 ... ll-6-hurt/

Also an eye witness saying "I saw a man with a bunch of screws in his hand trying to figure out what happened"

ltbewr

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:25 pm

A pax gets sick mid-flight, they continue to their destination, then the pax that got sick along with the EMT and others gets hurt while being taken her off an airplane. Talk about a bad day. :roll:
Apparently something went wrong with the jetbridge or the way it was set up, perhaps in a rush to remove the sick pax. Hopefully no one is seriously hurt but I bet the 'ambulance chasing' attorneys are looking for clients to represent in lawsuits against BWI, WN, the EMT's the maker of the jetbridge.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:23 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Good Lord. If the fact that I choose not to stand straddling the jetbridge-aircraft gap means I have a personality disorder, I can’t imagine what you’d think if you saw me look both ways as I enter an intersection. Lol.

And fwiw, six people were injured yesterday. Not sure if you missed the context.

Be sure you're also extra careful when you're Straddling the gap " on elevators, escalators, and automatic grocery store doors. Seriosly ive never séen someone "straddle" a jetbridge "gap". :roll: You just take a simple step and get on with life.

This was a freak accident there's no reason to think you're about to be next. like someone else said, you're much more likely to get killed driving to the airport in your vehicle. No need to overreact here.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:00 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Be sure you're also extra careful when you're Straddling the gap " on elevators, escalators, and automatic grocery store doors. Seriosly ive never séen someone "straddle" a jetbridge "gap". :roll: You just take a simple step and get on with life.

This was a freak accident there's no reason to think you're about to be next. like someone else said, you're much more likely to get killed driving to the airport in your vehicle. No need to overreact here.

Honestly I think the over-reaction is to my comment.

smokeybandit

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm

smokeybandit

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 pm

"BWI Marshall Airport proactively inspects jet bridges after incident

Manufacturer replacing metal brackets in six new jet bridges as a precaution

(Hanover, MD) – At Transportation Secretary Pete K. Rahn’s direction after an incident Saturday night involving a new jet bridge, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport completed inspections of all 33 jet bridges with the same manufacturer and found they were safe to use, and is continuing inspections for the rest of the airport’s jet bridges. Investigation into the incident concluded a metal bracket was defective on the jet bridge involved and as a precautionary measure, all brackets on five other jet bridges that were installed at the same time as the affected jet bridge will also be replaced.

“Our passengers’ safety is the top priority and BWI Marshall Airport has moved quickly to address this issue,” Secretary Rahn said.

The six jet bridges will be taken out of service as metal brackets are replaced through tonight, December 30, and will be put back into service as they are completed. Operations will not be impacted.

The six people who were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries Saturday night were released early this morning."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos