trav777

Re: How is the A350 performing for DL

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 pm

airbazar wrote:
I don't mean to get in the way of a perfectly good rumor but it's been pointed out here and in multiple other threads that DL's A359's are 275t yet 200+ replies later people are still using 268t in their calculations :)

the issues were noted by DL pilots prior to the uprating to 275t in fact it was posited by ME that this is probably why they uprated them, rather than just purely for the heck of it

compensateme

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:37 pm

airbazar wrote:
I don't mean to get in the way of a perfectly good rumor but it's been pointed out here and in multiple other threads that DL's A359's are 275t yet 200+ replies later people are still using 268t in their calculations :)

The general math here is: DL doesn’t use the 359 on LAX-SYD = 359 can’t perform service satisfactory = DL regrets canceling/NTU 787 = Boeing rules!!!

Like I said numerous times, the 77L was ordered for ULH flights just eight years before the 359, which was ordered as a direct 744 replacement. DL had long been consistent in its desire to deploy the 359 on former 744 routes, continually selling the benefits of the 359 to top consumers to PVG, NRT, etc.

This notion that DL really wanted to put the 359 on SYD but couldn’t is unsubstantiated, contrary to actual facts and likely a narrative made up on a.net. Reality is, LAX-SYD and ATL-JNB are probably marginal routes in which DL is reluctant to invest in new aircraft for.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

smartplane

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 pm

trav777 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

the issues were noted by DL pilots prior to the uprating to 275t in fact it was posited by ME that this is probably why they uprated them, rather than just purely for the heck of it

If that's the case, cease and desist. Was a story (maybe), now not a story.

Agree with spinotter and airbazar.

RobertPhoenix

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:00 pm

spinotter wrote:
So my question is: Does the A350 in its various variants underperform, perform adequately, or outperform the specs that Airbus promised? Anybody have an answer?

And the answer to that may never be known, but can be assumed when we look at future DL orders.

While the opinion of DL pilots is always interesting, they will not be the ones making the decision on future purchases or early sales of unsuitable aircraft.

TTailedTiger

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:11 pm

compensateme wrote:
airbazar wrote:

The general math here is: DL doesn’t use the 359 on LAX-SYD = 359 can’t perform service satisfactory = DL regrets canceling/NTU 787 = Boeing rules!!!

Like I said numerous times, the 77L was ordered for ULH flights just eight years before the 359, which was ordered as a direct 744 replacement. DL had long been consistent in its desire to deploy the 359 on former 744 routes, continually selling the benefits of the 359 to top consumers to PVG, NRT, etc.

This notion that DL really wanted to put the 359 on SYD but couldn’t is unsubstantiated, contrary to actual facts and likely a narrative made up on a.net. Reality is, LAX-SYD and ATL-JNB are probably marginal routes in which DL is reluctant to invest in new aircraft for.

A route like ATL-JNB wouldn't still be around if it was just marginal. Stop talking nonsense.

compensateme

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
compensateme wrote:
airbazar wrote:

A route like ATL-JNB wouldn't still be around if it was just marginal. Stop talking nonsense.

Every single airline operates a fair number of low/poor performing flights — and that number is much larger than you think — for the benefit/contribution to the network. For example, DL May lose money flying PDX-NRT, but the route may generate tens of millions in contracted flying from Nike that would otherwise go to AS, making it a positive contribution to the network. Alternatively, it could be something more simple yet complex; for example, DL may have better uses of resources that SYD, but feel that it could lose out on thousands of FF if it didn’t have a strong enough presence.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

TTailedTiger

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 pm

compensateme wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
compensateme wrote:

Every single airline operates a fair number of low/poor performing flights — and that number is much larger than you think — for the benefit/contribution to the network. For example, DL May lose money flying PDX-NRT, but the route may generate tens of millions in contracted flying from Nike that would otherwise go to AS, making it a positive contribution to the network. Alternatively, it could be something more simple yet complex; for example, DL may have better uses of resources that SYD, but feel that it could lose out on thousands of FF if it didn’t have a strong enough presence.

Delta dropped HKG for crying out loud. That is definitely a staple in most airline networks. But they dropped it since it wasn't profitable. JNB is very much profitable or it would be gone so fast that it would make your head spin. You don't run an ultra long haul flight like JNB if it is bleeding money.

FA9295

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:52 pm

compensateme wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
compensateme wrote:

None of what you're saying about the PDX-NRT flight is true, and it's a common misconception that the flight is there just because of Nike. I seriously doubt that they're losing money on this route, and if it was losing money, then they would drop it.

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:05 am

FA9295 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

None of what you're saying about the PDX-NRT flight is true, and it's a common misconception that the flight is there just because of Nike. I seriously doubt that they're losing money on this route, and if it was losing money, then they would drop it.

Delta did drop PDX-NRT. They only restarted it when they received a susbidy.

trav777

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am

compensateme wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Exactly WHAT is wrong with you people!?!?

There has been NOBODY, not ONE SINGLE PERSON who has said ANYTHING remotely resembling "Boeing rules!!!" at ANY POINT or in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM during this discussion. In fact boeing jets are NOT even the issue! They've barely even been brought up.

This type of crap is argumentative and unresponsive. I have tried to simply put the FACTS out there about your beloved airplane, it is not my fault that you do not like facts and I am not some devotee of a plane manufacturer because I do so!

While the opinion of DL pilots is always interesting, they will not be the ones making the decision on future purchases or early sales of unsuitable aircraft.

wow. I mean just...wow.

The DL pilots expressed no opinion. They stated facts about the incapacity of this airplane to do a particular route. Did you read their statements? Even bother to read them?

Like them or not *What* *The* *Delta* *Pilots* *Said* was TRUE.

rbavfan

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 am

Michiganatc wrote:
Mrakula:

It’s a little obtuse of you to think that an A350 Load Optimization Planner at Delta in ATL is not a “trustworthy” source...it’s kind of their job. Plus, read the other posts above this that mention the DL internal rumblings about it’s MTOW concerns.

Then the load optimization planner thats complaining wants more than Delta contracted for. Otherwise how do you explain the other routes better performance? Maybe its because DL has place 306 on it.

musman9853

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:51 am

Does anyone have a link to that dl pilot forum where they're talking about the capability? I haven't been able to find it
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos