Bostrom

Re: Nordic Aviation - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:25 am

SASViking wrote:
There is a direct train service between Helsingborg and Stockholm (full route: Malmö C-Gothenburg C/Göteborg C-Stockholm C) with SJ X2000, although it's not frequent, once a day, departing Helsingborg early in the morning and arriving back at night. I believe there's an additional train on Saturdays during the summer months. But yes, flying is a lot faster

True, but it is seasonal and not daily (weekdays only). I guess we might see an increased frequency in a couple of years though, when SJ starts to take delivery of their new high speed trains.

FredrikHAD

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 pm

SASViking wrote:
There is a direct train service between Helsingborg and Stockholm (full route: Malmö C-Gothenburg C/Göteborg C-Stockholm C) with SJ X2000, although it's not frequent, once a day, departing Helsingborg early in the morning and arriving back at night. I believe there's an additional train on Saturdays during the summer months. But yes, flying is a lot faster

I'm all for sustainable travelling and feel that we need to cut down on emissions, but I'm not sitting 9 hours on a train to have a 2 hour meeting in Stockholm. From Halmstad (some of the more intelligent A-nutters may already have guessed that I live in Halmstad ;) ) it takes 4:23 to get to Stockholm C by train (fastest option, otherwise times are between 4:45 and 5:30). The return with the same fast train give me 3:30 hours in Stockholm, and given local travel times, lunch etc., a 2 hour meeting is what is realistic. If I fly from HAD, I can take the ATR72 at 10:05 to BMA (no flights to ARN), and be there before the train. If I choose to go home late, the 20:40 departure brings me back home at 21:50. The train will cost ~1500 SEK and the flights ~2000 SEK (~200 €, these are the cheap fares). Halmstad certainly needs its airport. I'd be willing to go by train if the travel times were shorter, but as it is, we need to go by Gothenburg to get to Stockholm, and that is a time-consuming detour. Trains are not very fast either, lengthening the travel time further. There's also the issue with the unpredictable train schedules. There's a wild discussion in Sweden about what needs to be done, who's to blame and all that, but in reality, railroad maintenance has a 10-20 year backlog, causing all sorts of disruptions. If travelling abroad, we much prefer CPH over GOT due to travel options, both land and air.

Regarding AGH (Ängelholm-Helsingborg), I use that option from time to time, especially when I need to travel to destinations not available via Bromma (BMA). I then use SAS from AGH to ARN and on to LLA, KRN or some other place. Like most people in Halmstad, I have less than 10 minutes by car to HAD and 40 minutes to AGH. If HAD was to close, the best option would be to have airport coaches that were pre-booked and had a guarantee to arrive in time for each specific flight. I think that would appeal to a lot of people here. On the other hand, HAD is doing pretty well I think and the load factors are pretty good, even if the late return may be less dense.

AGH has a bigger catchment area than 200 000 people. I'd say 350 000 as Helsingborg and Ängelholm municipalities alone make for 190 000. Add the surrounding munis and 350' isn't that far off. If they decide to re-route the railway tracks so they can have a train station near AGH (walking distance, like ARN/CPH), that would really boost AGH. I think a lot of people from Malmö would consider AGH if that came true as travelling to MMX (Malmö/Sturup) isn't that easy, with a vulnerable and accident prone highway as the only realistic option. That would open up for travellers from all coastal cities from Varberg to Malmö, and all of a sudden, you have >1 M travellers in the catchment area. AGH also has a nice geographical situation as there are no cities really affected by the noise. From an environmental perspective, keeping AGH and closing MMX and HAD would make the most sense as travellers can go there by train (given a new station at AGH) or a shortish car ride.

On the east coast, RNB isn't going anywhere considering it's a military facility. Kalmar is 1:30 away by car and Kristianstad only one hour, so if KLR and KID closed, and RNB added capacity and increased frequency, that might be attractive anyway. On the other hand, closing KLR would leave large areas of Småland without air service and no really swift alternative to get to the capital. That would leave KID as the only candidate for closure. As Kristianstad is a regional capital with a lot of not-so-small cities nearby, I'm pretty sure they value their airport highly. KID is 91 % owned by Kristianstads kommun (municipality) and surrounding cities (9 %). I assume load factors are decent, otherwise BRA wouldn't be servicing the airport.

Inland, VXO connects people in the deep forests of Småland with the world. Roads are highways (often single lane) with 90 km/h limits and often only rare opportunities to overtake slower traffic. Travel times to other airports would be significant.

So, I think those "redundant" airports are there to stay, at least if no major infrastructure changes pop up.

/Fredrik

FredrikHAD

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Begues wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
Whenever I try to analyse the airports in the far south of Sweden, I always come to the conclusion that there are simply too many airports. Along with the major hub of Copenhagen which is connected extremely well via the Oresund bridge by road and rail to southern Sweden and also Goteborg-Landvetter, there are also the much smaller airports of Malmo, Helsingborg, Halmstad, Kristianstad, Ronneby, Vaxjo and Kalmar airports. I can understand why Malmo airport exists despite its big brother neighbour of Copenhagen, but I fail to understand why Halmstad and Helsingborg each need an airport, nor why Kristianstad, Ronneby, Vaxjo and Kalmar all need to exist and have commercial passenger service to just Stockholm but (often) nowehere else

They exist because they were originally built as bases for the airforce, then when the airforce downsized and left all of these airports the subsidized commercial traffic remained, even though you could and probably should close at least half of them. If Bromma airport was closed, most of the above airports would also close, it is the city airport in Stockholm that makes most of these airports even remotely viable.

Surely, BMA cannot close unless other options are made available for the regional traffic going there. Sometimes ARN is mentioned as a real alternative to BMA, but that would take quite some investment in new terminals and such, and possibly another runway. If all flights now going to BMA would just stop, half the country would "die". HAD used to have service to both ARN and BMA. AGH, KLR and RNB has that. VXO has daily to BMA and AMS and other international flights (Wizz, RyanAir, JetTime, Thomas Cook, some seasonal).

As the entire BRA operation depends on BMA at the moment. Closing BMA would mean relocating BRA to a more suitable alternative, be it a new airport or ARN with a new terminal.

/Fredrik

TUGMASTER

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm

FredrikHAD
Two brilliant posts mate.
Summed up the need for regional airports in the south perfectly.!
Well done , and thank you for taking the time to post so much detail.
Rgds
T

vfw614

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 pm

I note that Sun Air's ops at BLL have shrunk significantly are now down to double weekdaily flights to DUS, MAN and LCY and a single weekdaily flight to OSL. From mondays to thursdays the OSL flight departs in the morning and returns in the late afternoon, with the aircraft having 8h20min time between the flights. Does it sit on the ground at OSL all day or is it operating for someone else during the day?

Surely, BMA cannot close unless other options are made available for the regional traffic going there.

Interesting insights into Sweden and its domestic ops. Whenever I was at ARN, I never had the feeling the place was operating at full capacity and I don't think that all BMA flights would move 1:1 to ARN (e.g. the MMX and GOT shuttle in its current style would hardly be competitive at ARN). Plus some regional flights would lose their appeal with ARN as the gateway, given the longer check-in times etc.

FredrikHAD

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 pm

vfw614 wrote:
Surely, BMA cannot close unless other options are made available for the regional traffic going there.

Interesting insights into Sweden and its domestic ops. Whenever I was at ARN, I never had the feeling the place was operating at full capacity and I don't think that all BMA flights would move 1:1 to ARN (e.g. the MMX and GOT shuttle in its current style would hardly be competitive at ARN). Plus some regional flights would lose their appeal with ARN as the gateway, given the longer check-in times etc.

My experience at ARN is not long check-in times, and security is normally quite fast as well, so I don’t think that would deter travellers. Before BMA finishes the reconstruction of the terminal (might be finished by now actually), security lines are way longer than at ARN during peak hours. Travel time and cost to the ultimate destination address is more of a factor I think, but that would depend on where you need to go of course. I can take a 10 minute walk from BMA, take the tram and be at MoS (Mall of Scandinavia, Solna) in 20 minutes total. From ARN it takes 30 min by bus, then a 20 minute walk, or 20 min expensive train to city and commuter train back to MoS, also totalling some 50 minutes. On the other hand, compared to train, that extra half hour is nothing.

Regarding GOT and MMX to ARN, SAS is doing just that. BRA would lose the competitive edge with the (for some) better location of BMA, but not everyone is happy with SAS, and prices are comparable. Those who fly will continue to do so even if ops would move to ARN. High speed train would be more of a game changer for those routes, GOT in particular.

The biggest upside with a move to ARN would be that I could fly from HAD to LLA or KRN without airport transfer ;)

vfw614

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:33 pm

The problem for BRA would be the need to effectively compete on the same routes with SAS and Norwegian with a much smaller aircraft (Airbus A220-100, if that ever happens). Unless they have a much lower cost base - which I doubt - or a significantly better product I don't see how that could work out. I suspect that the result would simply be SAS and Norwegian driving BRA out of these markets by adding capacity through using larger aircraft (SAS) and/or adding frequencies.

QuawerAir

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

This is the schedule for planned Tibet Airlines' service to HEL:

TV6001 TNA1530 – 2030HEL 330 14
TV6002 HEL2230 – 1230+1TNA 330 14

Outbound flight from Helsinki will be flown at night, which is a good thing. The service is initially operated once a week and the 2nd weekly flight will be added on 9 May 2019.

Routesonline
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

QuawerAir

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 am

Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2019

The first two months have been rather weak for Finnair compared to last year. In February, Finnair carried 995,100 passengers (+4.0%), while the PLF decreased to 79.7% (-4.5%). The growth is mainly supported by nearly 9% increase in passenger volume on European flights. North America saw a growth of 4% but PAX volume to Asia didn't increase at all. However, I am impressed with the growth in cargo traffic: 11,633.2 tonnes (+24.5%).

Nevertheless, it's good to mention that the growth percentage is higher than it usually was a few years back.

company.finnair.com
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788

QuawerAir

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 am

Finnair leases an Airbus A321 aircraft from Iberia for HEL-MAD route due to "temporary aircraft shortage".

Lentoposti.fi

QuawerAir

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Already the 4th post in a row :lol:

Anyway, according to Check-in.dk, Norwegian halves capacity on Copenhagen–Helsinki route for the next summer season. Up to 66% of the capacity will be removed on weekdays. That's a huge amount of lost weekly departure seats!

Nami

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 am

The trend of declining passenger numbers continued for ARN in February 2019.

Domestic: 398,977 (-4.2%)
International: 1,357,084 (-2.1%)
Total: 1,756,061 (-2.6%)

QuawerAir

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:20 am

HEL February 2019 statistics

Domestic: 292,593 (+0.2%)
International: 1,238,876 (+4.6%)
Total: 1,531,469 (+3.7%)

Total YTD: 3,094,673 (+4.0%)

The growth is now on the same level as it normally is, but it may accelerate during the summer a bit. Traffic to Qatar, Hong Kong, India, and the US keeps growing but for some reason traffic to Singapore has decreased during the first two months. China also saw an unexpected drop in PAX volume (-10.5%).

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:22 am

Keflavík February 2019 numbers.

departing 191,349, arriving, 199,190, transferring 118,554. all 508,183, down -6,53% against February 2018

Year today:
departing 373,691, arriving 368,010, transferring 298,805, all 1,043,417, down -6,25% against 2018

Icelandair is up 9% from 190,720 passenger to 208,252. load factor up from 74.3% to 75.6% for February.
Year today is up 9% from 400,118 to 434,989. load factor up from 73.2% to 73.6%.

The change is the reduction in transfer passengers, due to the reduced operation of WOW.
The reduction in passengers is mainly travelers from the USA.

Blerg

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:31 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Already the 4th post in a row :lol:

Anyway, according to Check-in.dk, Norwegian halves capacity on Copenhagen–Helsinki route for the next summer season. Up to 66% of the capacity will be removed on weekdays. That's a huge amount of lost weekly departure seats!

Interesting, I guess SK and AY are happy about this. How is DY performing generally on the intra-Nordic market? Have they made more cuts/additions?

oberoende

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 am

FredrikHAD wrote:
My experience at ARN is not long check-in times, and security is normally quite fast as well, so I don’t think that would deter travellers. Before BMA finishes the reconstruction of the terminal (might be finished by now actually), security lines are way longer than at ARN during peak hours. Travel time and cost to the ultimate destination address is more of a factor I think, but that would depend on where you need to go of course. I can take a 10 minute walk from BMA, take the tram and be at MoS (Mall of Scandinavia, Solna) in 20 minutes total. From ARN it takes 30 min by bus, then a 20 minute walk, or 20 min expensive train to city and commuter train back to MoS, also totalling some 50 minutes. On the other hand, compared to train, that extra half hour is nothing.

Regarding GOT and MMX to ARN, SAS is doing just that. BRA would lose the competitive edge with the (for some) better location of BMA, but not everyone is happy with SAS, and prices are comparable. Those who fly will continue to do so even if ops would move to ARN. High speed train would be more of a game changer for those routes, GOT in particular.

The biggest upside with a move to ARN would be that I could fly from HAD to LLA or KRN without airport transfer ;)

It is possible to take the commuter train from Arlanda directly to Solna station and MoS. The travel time is 29 minutes.

Travelling from Bromma airport to MoS by tram requires a fair amount of walking at both ends. The actual tram ride is 15 minutes, but the walking takes almost as long, I estimate 14 minutes total walking. Total trip time from Bromma airport to MoS is 29 minutes.

Therefore MoS is equidistant from both airports by public transport travel times.

Blerg

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Some bad news for our Finnish friends. JU will be downgrading its 2/3 weekly BEG-HEL flights from A319 to CRJ.

marcogr12

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Blerg wrote:
Some bad news for our Finnish friends. JU will be downgrading its 2/3 weekly BEG-HEL flights from A319 to CRJ.

But JU does not have any CRJs in its fleet..Will they be leasing from Air Nostrum like Croatia Airlines did?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Blerg

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 am

marcogr12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

But JU does not have any CRJs in its fleet..Will they be leasing from Air Nostrum like Croatia Airlines did?

It will most likely come from Nordica, Adria was also an option (they sent in an offer) but JU ignored it since they sued them. Inaugural flight will have a turnaround of some 5 hours as JU will be flying in tour operators to visit Helsinki so as to arrange tourist groups from Serbia. Good thing they are not giving up that easily... or so I hope. The Saturday flight will be on the A319.

QuawerAir

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Over 250,000 passengers traveled between Delhi and the Nordic region in 2018, which is 86.7% more compared to the corresponding period.
Iceland is not included since no data is available.

HEL: 118,683 (+20.9%)
CPH: 71,569 (+333.3%)
ARN: 62,402 (+202.7%)

Data source: DGCA (The Ministry of Civil Aviation of India)

marcogr12

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Blerg wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

It will most likely come from Nordica, Adria was also an option (they sent in an offer) but JU ignored it since they sued them. Inaugural flight will have a turnaround of some 5 hours as JU will be flying in tour operators to visit Helsinki so as to arrange tourist groups from Serbia. Good thing they are not giving up that easily... or so I hope. The Saturday flight will be on the A319.

Well for a starting route the CRJ-900 is ok..I've flown it a couple of times with Nordica,SAS and LH..It's a nice little plane,not as comfy as the E-190, but still much more comfortable than the claustrophobic CRJ-200..If things pick on the HEL route they will be replaced with A319s..
Do you know if the CRJs will be used on other routes too?

Blerg

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Well for a starting route the CRJ-900 is ok..I've flown it a couple of times with Nordica,SAS and LH..It's a nice little plane,not as comfy as the E-190, but still much more comfortable than the claustrophobic CRJ-200..If things pick on the HEL route they will be replaced with A319s..
Do you know if the CRJs will be used on other routes too?

A friend of mine works at the JU dispatch center and she told me that for the time being only SKG (13.20 departure). Kiev was operated with the CRJ in the past so maybe they send it again this time around. I don't know how the loads are. I still think HEL should have started as 4 weekly, two in the morning and two in the afternoon. Also it's a shame that Serbia isn't advertizing itself in Finland especially summer festivals such as these two:

Exit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMplVgHoMA

Belgrade Beer Fest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGKzC4tb2Q

marcogr12

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:40 pm

That's strange because the 1320 flight to/from SKG is the most busy..The midnight one around 0020 i think (and subsequent 0500am departure) is the one done with ATR72 and a CR9 would be a welcome change to cut down flight time from 1 30' to just 55'

Blerg

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:27 am

marcogr12 wrote:
That's strange because the 1320 flight to/from SKG is the most busy..The midnight one around 0020 i think (and subsequent 0500am departure) is the one done with ATR72 and a CR9 would be a welcome change to cut down flight time from 1 30' to just 55'

They can't operate it at night as it would require an additional set of crew and it's not worth it. They will run three rotations a day. SKG does well but I suppose they need the A319 elsewhere. Also Greece isn't doing as well for them as it did before due to Aegean expanding left and right. I guess smaller carriers such as JU, RO... will be the first to feel these changes.

Blerg

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 am

Some more news, this coming summer season, Adria will be reducing LJU-CPH from 7 to 6 weekly.

MartijnNL

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:50 pm

oberoende wrote:
It is possible to take the commuter train from Arlanda directly to Solna station and MoS. The travel time is 29 minutes.

From where precisely does this commuter train depart? The last time I visited Arlanda it seemed only Arlanda Express departed from the airport. For commuter trains you first had to travel to Märsta by bus. This added at least twenty minutes to your total travel time.

scandinavian590

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
oberoende wrote:

From where precisely does this commuter train depart? The last time I visited Arlanda it seemed only Arlanda Express departed from the airport. For commuter trains you first had to travel to Märsta by bus. This added at least twenty minutes to your total travel time.

Hi there. The commuter train, or pendeltåg as we call it in Swedish, leaves from Arlanda C. This is exactly the same station as for SJ's long-distance trains. It's the airport's train station at SkyCity mellan Terminal 4 och 5.

Travel time to Solna is indeed 29 minutes. To reach Mall of Scandinavia, you should to add 5-10 minutes.

Someone83

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 pm

February:

OSL: 2.006.347 +1,8%

CPH: 1.995.479 +1,9%

It is not the first time OSL is bigger than CPH in February, as it seems the seasonal fluctuations is bigger in CPH

sailas

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2019

The first two months have been rather weak for Finnair compared to last year. In February, Finnair carried 995,100 passengers (+4.0%), while the PLF decreased to 79.7% (-4.5%). The growth is mainly supported by nearly 9% increase in passenger volume on European flights. North America saw a growth of 4% but PAX volume to Asia didn't increase at all. However, I am impressed with the growth in cargo traffic: 11,633.2 tonnes (+24.5%).

Nevertheless, it's good to mention that the growth percentage is higher than it usually was a few years back.

company.finnair.com

What if those cargo numbers correlate straight to the passenger numbers? More cargo less passengers and vice versa.
Airlines been on: AY, LX, SR, OS, SK, KF, EZY, FR, BA, LH, AF, TG, DC, FC, TK, KL, BT, CX, QR

akb88

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Nervous Nordic flier here. Flying from CPH to Athens with SAS on A320 next month. Prior to that the B757 from KEF, a plane I know very well. Anyone flown the Athens route before?
How's SAS record with safety and maintenance?

Oykie

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm

akb88 wrote:
Nervous Nordic flier here. Flying from CPH to Athens with SAS on A320 next month. Prior to that the B757 from KEF, a plane I know very well. Anyone flown the Athens route before?

SAS has an outstanding safety record and their maintenance is really good. I would not be afraid for a
Second. Pilots are really professional and their safety culture is superb.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

marcogr12

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm

I have flown SAS on CPH-ATH A321,CPH-SKG A321,ARN-SKG A320 NEO 7 times in the last 2 years..I agree with Oykie, never had an issue..And if you do a background check on SAS you'll see that it has a very good safety record and very professional crew..Don't forget they operate in winter under extreme weather conditions high up to Lapland airports and even further north to Longyearbyen on Svalbard, similar to freezing conditions and blizzards that pilots face in Canada,Greenland etc

SASViking

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:03 pm

akb88 wrote:

SAS, like most major airlines in the Western World, have an excellent safety record and their level of safety is very very high. Their crews are very well trained and very professional, they're also trained to help nervous fliers, and they maintain their aircrafts very well too. Absolutely nothing to worry about. I've flown with SAS more than 250 times in my live (I'm 23) and I've never had a single safety or emergency landing. I've also flown CPH-ATH with SAS (and also Aegean for that matter) several times.
The 757 will be operated by Icelandair, nothing to worry about there either. They are just as good and professional as SAS
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

IADCA

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 pm

akb88 wrote:

I haven't flown the ATH route before, but I've flown SAS over a period of years on numerous routes with a mix of aircraft types, including takeoffs and landings in tough conditions. Like Icelandair, their planes are well-maintained and their pilots very capable. I fly them without any hesitation.

strangeplanes

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 am

How does the grounding on Max8/9 effect Icelandair in the long run? What do you expect to happen to their schedule during the upcoming busy season?

MartijnNL

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:26 pm

SASViking wrote:
I've flown with SAS more than 250 times in my life (I'm 23) and I've never had a single safety or emergency landing.

Why do you fly that much? Does SAS still offer cheap standby fares for young people? Or are you just rich? ;) Most people I know fly only once a year on holiday.

davidjohnson6

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Most people on a.net consider flying to be fun and try to do it more than once a year on holiday ! :-)

seansasLCY

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
SASViking wrote:
I've flown with SAS more than 250 times in my life (I'm 23) and I've never had a single safety or emergency landing.

Why do you fly that much? Does SAS still offer cheap standby fares for young people? Or are you just rich? ;) Most people I know fly only once a year on holiday.

I fly SAS around 50 times a year and other airlines around a further 30 times a year. I live in Stockholm but work in London so have to travel each week between the two. I've never had any problem with SAS. If ever the flight is cancelled they always look after me well so I'm sure akb88 will have a great trip!

sailas

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
SASViking wrote:

At the age of 25 i had flown somewhere around 400 times. This was because of family things. Can't complain though :roll: These days i fly once or twice a year to Switzerland and thats it...sigh..
Airlines been on: AY, LX, SR, OS, SK, KF, EZY, FR, BA, LH, AF, TG, DC, FC, TK, KL, BT, CX, QR

SASViking

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:20 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
SASViking wrote:

SAS offers insanely cheap youth fares especially on intra-european flights but I'm also from a wealthy family of frequent travellers. My grandparents have both worked in the financial world until they retired 8 years ago, and my mother works in IT and have done so since I was born. It's a family tradition that we have at least 4 family trips per year, one during our winter holiday break in February, one, often two, in the summer holiday break in July-August, one in the autumn holiday break in October and one shopping trip around Christmas. When somebody's having a round birthday we also celebrate that with a holiday. On top of that I've had several weekend trips, we have a lot of national holidays here in Denmark, with my Mother when I was smaller, now I do it with my girlfriend. On the smaller weekend trips I mostly book with EuroBonus points so I only have to pay taxes, that makes it cheap too. Instead of having cars and other things we don't need, my family and I use our money on travels :-)
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

QuawerAir

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Route statistics for UK have been published and I thought it would be interesting to see how traffic from London to the Nordic capitals has developed.

London to:
CPH: 2,274,621 (-2.0%)
ARN: 1,519,790 (-3.2%)
OSL: 1,435,831 (+3.6%)
KEF: 1,135,192 (+10.6%)
HEL: 1,005,046 (+6.3%)

London airports include LGW, LHR, LTN, STN and LCY.

One thing came to me as a little surprise: HEL has the least passengers traveling to/from London. I knew CPH and ARN has more passengers but I wasn't aware of the fact that OSL and KEF also have more. I wonder if easyJet or Ryanair would launch flights from London to HEL at some point as they do from other capitals.

HEL-LON is now the 2nd route from Helsinki with over 1 million passengers.

Airport Data 2018 – UK Civil Aviation Authority

Kikko19

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 pm

meanwhile SAS diplomatically states they are not exploiting the demise of the 737 max (in swedish) https://www.di.se/live/rusning-till-sas ... g-737-max/ as they see increase of sales. people forget that SK has still some 737 but people are like sheeps :)

Kikko19

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm

meanwhile SAS diplomatically states they are not exploiting the demise of the 737 max (in swedish) https://www.di.se/live/rusning-till-sas ... g-737-max/ as they see increase of sales. people forget that SK has still some 737 but people are like sheeps :)

kruiseri

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Kikko19 wrote:

So what if they have 737s ? They do not have MAXs

SRQKEF

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm

sailas wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
SASViking wrote:

At the age of 25 i had flown somewhere around 400 times. This was because of family things. Can't complain though :roll: These days i fly once or twice a year to Switzerland and thats it...sigh..

21 yo here, my 500th flight is coming up next month. Icelandair is the main airline in my log with just under 50% of those 500 flights.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Someone83

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Kikko19 wrote:

Well, what should they do? Refuse selling tickets?

Someone83

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Wizz announced to more routes to Norway today

London Luton-Stavanger: 4x weekly
Katowice-Aalesund: 2x weekly

Both starting Autumn 2019

cityairline

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Ryanair launches two new routes from Gothenburg this autumn!

Katowice: 2 weekly
Gdansk: 3 weekly (already served by Wizz)

With these, Ryanair have launched six new routes from GOT in 2019 for a total of 19!
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...

Bostrom

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Route statistics for UK have been published and I thought it would be interesting to see how traffic from London to the Nordic capitals has developed.

London to:
CPH: 2,274,621 (-2.0%)
ARN: 1,519,790 (-3.2%)
OSL: 1,435,831 (+3.6%)
KEF: 1,135,192 (+10.6%)
HEL: 1,005,046 (+6.3%)

London airports include LGW, LHR, LTN, STN and LCY.

If you're looking att traffic to the capitals you should include NYO: 256,482 (+19%) and VST: 69,382 (-3%). They might be 100 km from central Stockholm each, but they still serve the capital. Resulting in STO: 1,845,654.

akb88

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm

strangeplanes wrote:
How does the grounding on Max8/9 effect Icelandair in the long run? What do you expect to happen to their schedule during the upcoming busy season?

From what I understand their 757's are some of the most well maintained aircrafts around, but they are old, some nearing 30! While I'm sure most parts in the aircraft itself are only few years old at most. Having said that though, one of their older planes just out of maintenance is stuck in Oslo until morning cause some fuel line or something broke............hopefuly just a one off. :|
But the 757s are no longer that economical to run so I know they really need new aircrafts sooner rather than later and the MAX was supposed to be that aircraft but it'll never manage to replace the 757 in versatility so it wouldn't surprise me if they actually went to Airbus. So with the summer travel season starthing soon I really think they need a solution quickly or some of the lesser flown routes might get pulled. At least just what I think.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos