EBT

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:45 am

Boof wrote:
Highlights:
    QF's PER-LHR. Still amazes me that we are non-stop to England.
    VA's PER-HBA service. Seems to be doing better than I though it would, just a shame it wasn't QF for one stop to LHR.
Lowlights:
    That HBA still doesn't have an INTL service after they spent a small fortune on the runway extension.
    That PER and QF can't get on.

Predictions:
    NZ will launch 3x weekly AKL-HBA before the year is out. VA doing it would be pointless given the lack of feed in or out of AKL.
    QF will fly own metal (A330) to SGN by year end. Random one but I keep hearing that Vietnam is the place to be and QF jumped on DPS after a long wait.

Cheers,
Boof

Well, the HBA runway extension was mostly funded by the Federal government, with the justification that it would enable Hobart to become the aerial gateway to Antarctica. While international has been talked of, I think they were considering the outside shot at attracting Chinese charter flights there. It may happen, but if there is a slowdown in Chinese tourism due to the trade war this year, it will be a tall ask. NZ is possible, but not sure that there would be a huge market for it, so I reckon if they were to go ahead with it, it would be over the summer when the Apple Isle defrosts a little.

As for PER/QF dispute, to be fair, having worked in the QF group, QF doesn't get along with any airport in the country. Their negotiation style is winner takes all, and there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than what is being said publicly. QF had a win over the airport by getting the WA government to stump up the cash for the international facility at T3 which takes out a bunch of gates when it runs international and has a very poor passenger experience, at least in my opinion. The new government seems less concerned about T3 international, so I think QF have lost some leverage over the airport, and eventually they will have to get on board with the new T1 precinct, which means signing a new charging agreement.

SGN for QF could definitely be up there, again likely as a seasonal, given they were looking at PER-JNB seasonal so they seem to have some slack in the schedule to throw A330s onto more routes at certain times of the year.

TasFlyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:34 am

mh124[threeid][/threeid] wrote:
Whats the deal with the PER-HBA frequency?
Announced as 3 weekly, was expanded over summer, but I see its still 4 weekly, seems back to 5 weekly first week of feb, 4 weekly for the second week and 3 weekly thereafter. Are VA just playing it by ear and adding frequencies a few weeks in advance if the bookings are strong?

Sunday 27 January extra was part of the summer expansion. The February extras coincide with International hockey (the Kookaburras are based in Perth) and wooden boat festival and long weekend. There are also extras in April for Easter/ANZAC day fortnight, as well as in June for Dark Mofo festival.

TasFlyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 am

Speaking of HBA-PER, the runway extension at HBA has proved successful with VH-YIB getting off the ground in HBA an hour or so ago despite the near 40 degree temperature, near full load, and facing a significant head-wind across the bight. It was actually over 40 degrees less than an hour before take-off, but then dipped below.

SeaEagle8

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 am

Brisbane Airport released their 2018 passenger numbers today:

https://newsroom.bne.com.au/internation ... s-in-2018/

Total passengers increased 1.7% to 23,601,470

Most of the growth was international up 4.8%. Domestic was up 0.7%.
NSW based avgeek

RyanairGuru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am

The 'domestic-on-carriage' numbers are interesting. I assume they're due to PR and CX dropping the stops in DRW and CNS respectively?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

VapourTrails

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Speaking of HBA-PER, the runway extension at HBA has proved successful with VH-YIB getting off the ground in HBA an hour or so ago despite the near 40 degree temperature, near full load, and facing a significant head-wind across the bight. It was actually over 40 degrees less than an hour before take-off, but then dipped below.

Hi, thanks for this information. Would the air temperature today be a record for HBA? I would love to hear any experiences about how HBA is dealing with the heat? Is the airport affected by the bushfires and the smoke at all? I haven’t looked at FR24 today, but is it affecting other ports and flight paths into or departing Tasmania?

EK413

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 am

This years Australia Day fly over will be operated by VHOQD currently on route from LAX as QF12. What makes this years Australia Day fly over interesting would be the revised livery with QANTAS under carriage titles.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

D7A330

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

Hi, thanks for this information. Would the air temperature today be a record for HBA? I would love to hear any experiences about how HBA is dealing with the heat? Is the airport affected by the bushfires and the smoke at all? I haven’t looked at FR24 today, but is it affecting other ports and flight paths into or departing Tasmania?

I flew HBA-MEL this afternoon and everything seemed to be running on time. Woke up to a blanket of smoke and ash over Hobart city and it was definitely hot and very windy, but had no issues departing. It was actually the weather in Melbourne which was causing delays today, which led to some good views of Flinders Island as we held. I was curious and checked out our flight path on FR24 after we landed and all looked pretty normal until we got deviated due to the passing weather front.

SeaEagle8

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:24 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
The 'domestic-on-carriage' numbers are interesting. I assume they're due to PR and CX dropping the stops in DRW and CNS respectively?

I would guess that is the case.

The press release also highlights international growth of 277,000 but this is off a 435,530 rise in available seats. This would be absorption of 63.6%. I would assume load factors have taken a hit?

SYD recorded an increase of 744,000 international passengers off an increase of 1,200,000 additional seats in 2018. A 62% absorption rate.

Meanwhile Melbourne does not post information on a calendar basis. They report on financial year only.
MEL has shown an increase in international passengers of 438,357 through December 2018. They do not disclose additional seats either. So you cannot calculate absorption of any new capacity increases.
Last edited by SeaEagle8 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
NSW based avgeek

TasFlyer

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 am

VapourTrails wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

The maximum temperature in the city was 37.9, but at the airport it hit 40.1 degrees. It is typical for the temperature at the airport to be a couple of degrees warmer than that recorded in the city. These though were still shy of the 41.8 degree Hobart record. Normally we get at least two or three days per year over 37 degrees.
As for the smoke, the fires aren't near the airport so there's no operational problem from that perspective.
It would be interesting to hear any issues from ADL given they did experience a record.

aviationaware

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:02 am

/e nvm

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 am

EK413 wrote:
This years Australia Day fly over will be operated by VHOQD currently on route from LAX as QF12. What makes this years Australia Day fly over interesting would be the revised livery with QANTAS under carriage titles.

EK413

VH-OEE is operating today's Australia Day Antarctica charter from PER
Forum Moderator

mh124

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:05 am

I was just talking about the new perth airport train station and the proposed link from the station to the terminal - looks like a overpass rather than a seamless underground pedestrian link (which is what i'm generally used to elsewhere, eg SYD).
Friends suggested that the airport may eventually go to a two level system, with the upper level to drop off / departures and the lower level to pick up / arrivals. Perth doesn't have any suggestion of this happening in masterplans. We were wondering - what is the largest airport by passenger numbers that is single level drop off/pick up? SYD, MEL and BNE are all multilevel (I haven't been to BNE in a decade so my memory is hazy), as is CBR (very nice but maybe they over-capitalised?)
Anyone got any international experience? All the ones I have been to that are say 20 m and above are multilevel.

Gemuser

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:39 am

mh124 wrote:
I was just talking about the new perth airport train station and the proposed link from the station to the terminal - looks like a overpass rather than a seamless underground pedestrian link (which is what i'm generally used to elsewhere, eg SYD).
Friends suggested that the airport may eventually go to a two level system, with the upper level to drop off / departures and the lower level to pick up / arrivals. Perth doesn't have any suggestion of this happening in masterplans. We were wondering - what is the largest airport by passenger numbers that is single level drop off/pick up? SYD, MEL and BNE are all multilevel (I haven't been to BNE in a decade so my memory is hazy), as is CBR (very nice but maybe they over-capitalised?)
Anyone got any international experience? All the ones I have been to that are say 20 m and above are multilevel.

Sydney is no longer really multi level for ground side traffic. You cannot pick anyone up from the terminal arrival level, you must go into the car park [under 15 minutes, no charge]. And trying to pick someone up from the departures level will get you yelled at, at least [I've been threatened with an obstructing traffic ticket], even if they are standing at the curb when you stop.
For departures it is often quicker to go into the car and use the under 15 min rule then trying to negotiate the upper level road, especially in peak time, doubly so on a Saturday morning. The real answer is pay the money and get the train!

Gemuser

tullamarine

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:43 am

mh124 wrote:

BNE domestic is single level. Its railway station is also accessed from an overpass and it works fine.

Modern airport design isn't so much about single or dual level. It seems to be about opening up the front of the terminal as a pedestrian type plaza with vehicle traffic moved back so pedestrians don't have to intersect with traffic. ADL has now done this as has SYD T1. AMS has done it completely on its arrival level which moves into a shared pax/guest/shopper plaza. Unfortunately its departure level remains as chaotic as anywhere.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

smi0006

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:54 am

tullamarine wrote:
mh124 wrote:

BNE domestic is single level. Its railway station is also accessed from an overpass and it works fine.

Modern airport design isn't so much about single or dual level. It seems to be about opening up the front of the terminal as a pedestrian type plaza with vehicle traffic moved back so pedestrians don't have to intersect with traffic. ADL has now done this as has SYD T1. AMS has done it completely on its arrival level which moves into a shared pax/guest/shopper plaza. Unfortunately its departure level remains as chaotic as anywhere.

I’d like to say design and pax and vechile flow was the idea, however I believe it’s primarily security. I’m not certain if laws are coming, or it’s accepted good practice. But the trend is vechiles are to be kept away from places of mass gathering, and key infrastructure. This prevents the use of a vechile as a bomb next to the terminal, and minanises damage.

A quick google search whilst not aviation specific has the below document of interest.

http://designingoutcrime.com/wp-content ... gement.pdf

EK413

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Interesting to see their choice of aircraft once the B744’s are phased out by 2020. I’m guessing the B787’s which is a huge capacity reduction? Speaking of which heard a QF B787 has been damaged in MEL by VA equipment. Not sure how true this but if so I smell sabotage!

EK413

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Interesting to see their choice of aircraft once the B744’s are phased out by 2020. I’m guessing the B787’s which is a huge capacity reduction? Speaking of which heard a QF B787 has been damaged in MEL by VA equipment. Not sure how true this but if so I smell sabotage!

EK413

I assume you mean ZNG which hasn't flown for a few days, I haven't heard any VA aircraft being out of action though
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am

mh124 wrote:

It has always been planned as a overpass as the short term carpark will eventually be multi storey, so not only will it be used for train passengers but those using the carpark. There is also a planned people mover to move passengers from one terminal to another. As far as I am aware there are no plans to go to a two level system

Planned future multi story carpark

https://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/co ... the-future

Bridge meeting terminal area

https://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/co ... ople-mover
Forum Moderator

EK413

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:14 pm

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

EK413

I assume you mean ZNG which hasn't flown for a few days, I haven't heard any VA aircraft being out of action though

Correct, -ZNG has been out of action due to VA ground equipment damaging the aircraft. Well that’s what I heard no idea how true it is though.

EK413

waoz1

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Air north to recommence

Kununurra-Perth
And Perth-Darwin
From may 3 to oct 26
https://blueswandaily.com/qantas-ceo-ai ... -in-perth/

bunumuring

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Hey guys,
Has anyone seen or heard Alan Joyce talking up Project Sunrise in the media again in the past week? My father says that he read a report about it and could even recount from it that AJ said that bunk beds were now unlikely to happen.... But Dad can't remember where he read it: he reads all available Sydney and national newspapers.
I have a feeling that the decision will be announced mid-year or late August-early September, possibly even in conjunction with the Paris Air Show to create a bigger splash (even though QF has arguably never been lustful for the air show limelight, unlike the ME3).
An even bigger splash would be to announce non-stop Paris flights as well during or just before the PAS'19!
Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

EK413

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:14 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Has anyone seen or heard Alan Joyce talking up Project Sunrise in the media again in the past week? My father says that he read a report about it and could even recount from it that AJ said that bunk beds were now unlikely to happen.... But Dad can't remember where he read it: he reads all available Sydney and national newspapers.
I have a feeling that the decision will be announced mid-year or late August-early September, possibly even in conjunction with the Paris Air Show to create a bigger splash (even though QF has arguably never been lustful for the air show limelight, unlike the ME3).
An even bigger splash would be to announce non-stop Paris flights as well during or just before the PAS'19!
Cheers
Bunumuring

This was the last update regarding PS.

waoz1 wrote:
Today AJ was on Perth drive program

Covers a bit of the dispute with PAPL.
Also touches on expansion of Perth and regional WA flights, as well as Perth-east services.

Copy of podcast
https://www.6pr.com.au/podcast/were-add ... lan-joyce/

EK413

ClassicLover

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:16 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,

Flight Global are reporting today that Qantas is looking into passengers needs on the Project Sunrise aircraft. Here's an excerpt, author is Firdaus Hashim.

"The top five suggestions made by passengers include providing a "sense of separation" experiences, space to conduct exercises, wireless noise cancelling headsets, innovative cabin designs on the aircraft with a focus on traveler needs, as well as an in-flight cafe."

and

""Our job now is to determine where the most demand is and create this cabin in a way that makes it both affordable for customers and commercially viable for the airline. Everything is on the table and we are excited about what innovations may come from this research," says Qantas International's chief executive Alison Webster."

It's a very very interesting project, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

waoz1

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 am

Doing the rounds again

Perth-Lombok however looks like Air Asia has committed to basing two A320s in Lombok.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 50u1h.html

tullamarine

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:35 am

qf789 wrote:
mh124 wrote:

It has always been planned as a overpass as the short term carpark will eventually be multi storey, so not only will it be used for train passengers but those using the carpark. There is also a planned people mover to move passengers from one terminal to another. As far as I am aware there are no plans to go to a two level system

If the reality matches the architect drawing PER could end up being a very attractive airport with its single terminal complex located between the main runways. Done properly, PER could end up like a smaller SIN. I know there's lots of politics involved, but I can't understand why QF wouldn't want to be part of this. T3/4 are a long way from being anything approaching state of the art.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

HM7

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Cheers
Bunumuring

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-cafes-gyms-and-chill-zones-for-non-stop-20-hour-flights
Here is the article
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER

getluv

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:
mh124 wrote:

If the reality matches the architect drawing PER could end up being a very attractive airport with its single terminal complex located between the main runways. Done properly, PER could end up like a smaller SIN. I know there's lots of politics involved, but I can't understand why QF wouldn't want to be part of this. T3/4 are a long way from being anything approaching state of the art.

QF is not saying it doesn't want to be apart of the single terminal complex. Their issue is how much of the cost should be passed onto QF when this is a PAPL initiative.
I'm that bad type.

moa999

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 am

getluv wrote:
QF is not saying it doesn't want to be apart of the single terminal complex. Their issue is how much of the cost should be passed onto QF when this is a PAPL initiative.

And that in the meantime they want to be able to continue to have all Dom and Intl operations from the existing T3/T4
And the cost for any alterations in that time period.

aerokiwi

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 pm

Just on airport designs and upgrades, are there plans for Sydney to upgrade its landside arrivals passenger area at the international terminal? You walk out and it feels like you're in a quiet, fairly rundown suburban mall in an outer suburb. Has it been touched since the Sydney Olympics because it's looking pretty aged.

MooLor

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Expressions of interest are being sought for the design of the SWZ terminal: https://architectureau.com/articles/expressions-of-interest-eoi-sought-for-design-of-western-sydney-airport/

Airport CEO quoted:
We’re going to ensure that Western Sydney will be proud of the airport’s terminal – but we want a design that prioritizes pleasing our future passengers.

If you look at airports around the world, Singapore’s Changi Airport is regularly voted the world’s best – the design of its famous Terminal 4 was focused more on offering passengers a world-class experience than the external look.

We’ll not only offer the smoothest possible journey from the terminal entrance to the aircraft gate, but we want the terminal to be a destination in itself.

Think retail, restaurants and entertainment before you go through security, streamlined processing, lots of space and light, and a terminal that’s reliable, fun and easy to find your way around.

When they’re inside the terminal – that’s when we want visitors to say ‘wow’ – we’re aiming for it to be selfie central.

Best of intentions and all that, but my expectations are low.

tullamarine

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:51 am

MooLor wrote:
Expressions of interest are being sought for the design of the SWZ terminal: https://architectureau.com/articles/expressions-of-interest-eoi-sought-for-design-of-western-sydney-airport/

Airport CEO quoted:
We’re going to ensure that Western Sydney will be proud of the airport’s terminal – but we want a design that prioritizes pleasing our future passengers.

If you look at airports around the world, Singapore’s Changi Airport is regularly voted the world’s best – the design of its famous Terminal 4 was focused more on offering passengers a world-class experience than the external look.

We’ll not only offer the smoothest possible journey from the terminal entrance to the aircraft gate, but we want the terminal to be a destination in itself.

Think retail, restaurants and entertainment before you go through security, streamlined processing, lots of space and light, and a terminal that’s reliable, fun and easy to find your way around.

When they’re inside the terminal – that’s when we want visitors to say ‘wow’ – we’re aiming for it to be selfie central.

Best of intentions and all that, but my expectations are low.

Being a greenfields site, the potential is quite good. Even if it isn't all there on day one, you can design for future stages now. Brownfield sites are much harder because your footprint is limited and you have to keep the airport operational throughout the works. SIN T4 is a good example of a basically low cost terminal done well. Whilst primarily aimed at LCCs, carriers such as CX are happy for their customers to use it.
Last edited by tullamarine on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

nomorerjs

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 am

QF / AA JV expected to be approved this year in the US. UA / NZ expanding their alliance was the best thing for this.

Will be interesting if ORD-BNE, DFW-MEL, or SYD-SEA is announced.

tullamarine

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:00 am

aerokiwi wrote:
Just on airport designs and upgrades, are there plans for Sydney to upgrade its landside arrivals passenger area at the international terminal? You walk out and it feels like you're in a quiet, fairly rundown suburban mall in an outer suburb. Has it been touched since the Sydney Olympics because it's looking pretty aged.

Its not amazing but it is light and airy with an open plaza feel once you exit the terminal. It's a definite improvement on MEL's cramped landside arrivals hall which hopefully gets its major makeover approved this year.

jupiter2

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 am

aerokiwi wrote:

It has been greatly expanded since the Olympics. I don't mind it, at least you're not bombarded with traffic the minute you walk out the terminal door, you may have to walk a little to the car park, bus pick up area, but for a terminal that can be pretty busy at peak times, it gives a bit of space between the crowds inside and the transport links. Compared to some terminals around the world, where as soon as you walk out the door you're engulfed in traffic, that space is a bit of respite.

aerokiwi

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:53 am

tullamarine wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Its not amazing but it is light and airy with an open plaza feel once you exit the terminal. It's a definite improvement on MEL's cramped landside arrivals hall which hopefully gets its major makeover approved this year.

MEL definitely has its issues - traffic flow, taxis and bus access has a lot of room for improvement - but it at least has the feel of arriving at a major city destination, and there's a bit of to tart it up. Sydney just kinda plonks you in this weird pedestrian plaza full of smokers from what looks like a temporary appendage on the main terminal, with little signage or direction.

It's all just very nondescript and surprisingly bleh for what I assume is Australia's premier international gateway. They've done up the airside passenger area pretty well, but from the arrivals landside, it's decidedly ordinary, and I wondered if that was next in line for an overhaul.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:25 am

Air Vanuatu to begin flights to MEL, 3 weekly from 18 June 19

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-vanuatu-to ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 am

Qantas to send 717's to Singapore for heavy maintenance from June 2019

http://australianaviation.com.au/2019/0 ... intenance/
Forum Moderator

SeaEagle8

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 am

qf789 wrote:

“Begin?” They flew to MEL in previous years. One of those on again off again routes.
NSW based avgeek

jupiter2

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 am

qf789 wrote:

I assume the aircraft will get some TLC whilst over night in MEL. It works hard and some areas of the cabin are showing some distinct wear.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:42 am

The ACCC has requested more information from QF on the proposed codesharing arrangement with CX

https://blueswandaily.com/accc-requests ... rangement/
Forum Moderator

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:58 am

qf789 wrote:

That's a shame for the engineers in Canberra, although until reading that article I didn't realise the work was sub-contracted out. I assumed that the engineers were employed by QantasLink or Cobham. Is the Dash 8 heavy maintenance in Tamworth also sub-contracted?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

smi0006

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:21 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf789 wrote:

That's a shame for the engineers in Canberra, although until reading that article I didn't realise the work was sub-contracted out. I assumed that the engineers were employed by QantasLink or Cobham. Is the Dash 8 heavy maintenance in Tamworth also sub-contracted?

I wonder how this works, if the aircraft are Cobham - surely they must choose the maintenance vendor? Potentially with support from QF for buying power?

Boof

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 am

smi0006 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I wonder how this works, if the aircraft are Cobham - surely they must choose the maintenance vendor? Potentially with support from QF for buying power?

QF own the 717’s which are leased to Cobham to operate. QF take care of the aircraft and a heap of other things as part of the deal.
Bring back Virgin Blue!

Gemuser

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:37 am

smi0006 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Qantas is the registration holder, NJS [Cobham] is the registered operator. https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft-regist ... ar_serial=
While my knowledge of the inside details of the Australia register is decades out of date I would assume QF is responsible for certification matters [ie airworthiness, etc] Cobham is responsible for operational matters.

BTW,unless its changed in the last 10 years or so, nobody works for Qantaslink, it is not a company, it is a trading name of Qantas Airways Ltd. a search today showed NO aircraft registered to Qantaslink, which is what you would expect if it is just a trading name.

Gemuser

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:44 am

VA686 PER-MEL currently diverting to ADL
Forum Moderator

angusjt

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 am

Im currently on VA96 from CHC-MEL, we just diverted to LST.

New experience for me as i've never been on a diverted flight, VA have been great handling the unforeseen circumstances.

Bad news being i'll miss my connecting flight to PER, Captain gives us atleast another 20 minutes before we take off again.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 am

Other MEL diversions include

NZ125 AKL-MEL diverted to SYD
QF2133 CBR-MEL returned to CBR
VA858 SYD-MEL returned to SYD
NZ893 CHC-MEL diverted to SYD
QF172 WLG-MEL diverted to CBR
TT563 OOL-MEL diverted to ADL
ZL3281 WGA-MEL diverted to ABX
QF2286 LST-MEL returned to LST
QF2085 MQL-MEL returned to MQL
Forum Moderator

EK413

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am

qf789 wrote:

MEL getting hit with some pretty bad thunderstorms.

EK413

VapourTrails

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:18 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

MEL getting hit with some pretty bad thunderstorms.

EK413

Hi, thanks. I assumed that was the reason, when I checked in with my weather app. Storms are almost a daily occurrence around my way at the moment. Be glad when summer is over. With regard to thunderstorms and diversions, this is due to ground staff not being allowed onto the tarmac, rather than the flights themselves being able to land and take off, is this correct? I was at MEL a few years back waiting to board a flight when a storm rolled through, and this was the reason we were given on that occasion.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos