Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

marcogr12
Topic Author

Is there room for more expansion for Easyjet and where to?

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm

As one of the biggest LCCs in Europe the orange giant has been expanding firmly but in a more conservative way compared to its rivals FR and W6..With its order for 130plus A320/A321s, some to replace the A319s,some for older A320s and the A321s for slot-constrained airports, the rest i believe will be used for expansion..But the question is if there's anymore room left in Europe for Easy to expand..With FR having captured a large chunk of the traffic , Wizzair being Queen of the east-central europe and Balkans and Norwegian reigning Scandinavia, where could Easy go next? Yes, it will strengthen its position in its current bases. Some of them are expanding disproportionately to others major ones (I havent seen much expansion in LIS or BCN). And Easy is not FR (or W6,V7) where it could open up new bases in places the likes FMO,FMM, NUE,DTM..Nor can it compete anymore in Eastern Europe with BlueAir,Wizzair and Ryanair there..So what's next? VIE is already crowded.MUC?Maybe even FRA like FR?.ARN? ZRH?Could it go for ATH? There is a lot of potential for new routes but a base is another thing..
And when it comes to new destinations outside of Europe,apart from Morocco,TLV and few holiday resorts in Egypt where could it venture out again? IST failed..Amman failed..Beirut? maybe since a lot of LCCs fly there.. but i don't know if there's an open-skies agreement between Lebanon and EU..Ukraine? FR and W6 got there first..Russia?That ship has...sunk..Georgia?Armenia?..Could it even try Dubai like Wizzair ( DWC not DXB)..Theoretically, yes..Although EK and FZ are expanding like crazy in Europe their prices are still high..Flydubai is supposed to be hybrid between an LCC and a "normal" carrier but when fares start from 450-550euros in economy, it's not exactly very LCC-attractive..There are families who cannot fork out 1600euros just for plane tickets plus all the other expenses..Whereas if Easy offered 550 for 3,that would be doable..Wizz has very decent prices on routes it competes with FZ..And where FZ is alone,well let's just say prices give you vertigo..on par with EK but FZ is not EK by anymeans..
Would Easy want to expand with its NEOs to Dubai?Doubtful..With the Brexit storm coming european airlines will have a lot to weather if there is a no-deal..
I know Easy officials have expressed desire to set up a base in LHR when the third runway opens (if ever..).But that's equivalent to "when pigs fly.."..
So what do you see for Easyjet in the future?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

parapente

Re: Is there room for more expansion for Easyjet and where to?

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Further expansion in Gatwick? Closer ties with Gatwick longhaul airline companies ie Gatwick becoming a LCC International/European 'hub'? Just a guess.

MIflyer12

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:37 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
IST failed..Amman failed..Beirut?

Specific routes may fail for a carrier... cities do not. That LON-IST didn't work doesn't mean PAR-IST can't work, for example. Some routes might get satisfactory financial results seasonally but don't justify year-round service. Draw useful range radii around Easyjet bases and start looking for routes that have demand for ULCC services. Look at route competition. Look for routes that could see demand stimulation... oh, like anything cheap, warm and sunny non-stop from the UK.

f4f3a

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm

I wonder whether Banjul Cape Verde and Ghana might be achievable in 321neo. Some winter sun destinations to replace sharm . A long shot would be also some a330 to do Florida Caribbean etc especially if easyjet holidays gets an overhaul

chunhimlai

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:08 pm

USA
The virgin land of LCC

flylondon

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:09 pm

Heathrow once it expands is a near certainty

jmmadrid

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 pm

If you are asking about some easy-peasy routes within Europe, with high yields, no competitors and no risk, then the answer is there is no such thing.
If they want to grow, they need to look at specific opportunities where there is room for one more carrier, or where they can stimulate the market, OR become VERY creative, think outside the box, and launch routes between cities that no one has tried before, and start conservatively, let's say 2 or 3 flights per week.) Example: Lanzarote-Pisa or Fuerteventura-Venice.
The Canaries are still a source of potential new routes.

william

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm

No reason not to fly to the US east coast with A321s. Or take the low risk route and buy some used A330s and take on Level. I am flying both airlines next summer by the way.

Blerg

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:23 pm

BEG is a great opportunity for them since Wizz Air has lost its momentum there. This year they launched BEG-BSL and BEG-TXL on top of adding more flights from GVA. BEG has a large catchment area so they work around that.

TC957

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:30 pm

It'll be interesting to see if they'll expand from the new Berlin airport once that eventually comes into service. Surely lots of growth possibilities there. In the UK, a few extra routes from SOU might be useful, like NCE, PMI and BCN, possibly MUC. Can't see anything further than that though, given SOU's runway. But I think they should forget TATL and long-haul.

FlyRow

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:32 pm

I think they could grow AMS bigtime if they'd get the slots. Easy has stated many times they want to grow there.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

aldrigsomandre

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Posts like this make me further realise the importance of proper paragraph use.

I think with EasyJet growth, it's a matter of slots.
They could indeed try Virgin Islands-US market.

f4f3a

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:46 pm

There is also the opportunity to buy part of Alitalia . I also think with either Norwegian and Tomás cook in trouble there could be a chance to see them fill the void .

FlyRow

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Why would they want to go into the US market? This obsession with transatlantic LCC is just not working out.

We' ve seen Norwegian not doing well, WOW air struggeling, primera going bust. That's a lot of bad omens.
I don't think they would want to try that market, it's a fierce market with a lot of overcapacity and low prices. What do they have to gain?
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

f4f3a

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:18 pm

If they go medium long haul it will be holiday focused aka like the charters have done. I only see them doing this if they inherit it from a takeover though . Other than that it is likely to be evolution . Upguaging aircraft in slot restrained airports . It would be nice to see a proper connecting service instead of self connect that worldwide currently offers

SCQ83

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Madrid. They haven't literally opened a new route with MAD since the crisis. According to Wikipedia, from MAD:

2008: easyJet: 24 routes VS Ryanair: 22 routes.
2018: easyJet: 12 routes VS Ryanair: 56 routes.

In PAX (full year 2008 VS first 11 months 2018)

easyJet 2008: 2.442.868; easyJet was the 4th largest carrier in MAD
Ryanair 2008: 1.670.121; Ryanair was the 6th largest carrier in MAD

easyJet 11M 2018: 1.338.080; easyJet is the 6th largest carrier in MAD
Ryanair 11M 2018: 6.358.944; Ryanair is the 3th largest carrier in MAD

Traffic in 2018 is about +15% higher than in 2008 and international traffic has more than doubled (and easyJet doesn't fly domestic in Spain anymore). So clearly easyJet has missed a boat not returning to MAD.

[email protected]

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Significant opportunities across Europe to:

- Join dots where commercially feasible - as they do every year
- Launch new cities/airports where commercially feasible - as they do every year
- Increase penetration on existing routes where commercially feasible - as they do every year
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Harshil9

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Further down the line as the African Market grows I could see easyJet serving points such as Banjul from London and Dakar from Paris the former is a growing tourist attraction and the latter developing at a good pace to attract business traffic.

Been to both countries and in 10 years time do think they can support such routes. Good sector lengths too (max 5.5hr sector length - comparable to the Canaries and this length is shorter from Spain and Italy which could also work)

PatrickZ80

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Indeed the west African coast and Cape Verde could be interesting destinations, it's about the only place that's still nice and warm in the middle of the winter when even the Canaries are becoming a bit chilly. So far Transavia is the only European LCC flying to Cape Verde, a seasonal flight from Amsterdam. The rest of the market is largely in the hands of the holiday airlines and a few legacies. I can totally see EasyJet and in the future maybe even Ryanair expanding to Cape Verde.

Scandinavia is another potential market. I know Norwegian is LCC king there but that doesn't mean there's no room for a second LCC. Ryanair has very little presence in Scandinavia and Norwegian isn't doing too good financially. With the absence of Ryanair, EasyJet might be able to beat Norwegian on their home ground.

LuxuryTravelled

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:58 pm

They should have bought Volotea to get the European AOC, their network in France and Italy especially are really up against each other. Venice, Bordeaux, Nantes all Volotea + easyJet bases.

LuxuryTravelled

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:04 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Indeed the west African coast and Cape Verde could be interesting destinations, it's about the only place that's still nice and warm in the middle of the winter when even the Canaries are becoming a bit chilly. So far Transavia is the only European LCC flying to Cape Verde, a seasonal flight from Amsterdam. The rest of the market is largely in the hands of the holiday airlines and a few legacies. I can totally see EasyJet and in the future maybe even Ryanair expanding to Cape Verde.

Scandinavia is another potential market. I know Norwegian is LCC king there but that doesn't mean there's no room for a second LCC. Ryanair has very little presence in Scandinavia and Norwegian isn't doing too good financially. With the absence of Ryanair, EasyJet might be able to beat Norwegian on their home ground.

Cape Verde is a challenge operationally - I believe only able to fly in/out in daylight hours + there was a big sandstorm last winter? Banjul might work, but I think would need some backing by a tour operator to make that attractive.

My guess would be develop Italian and French regional bases (as they have done in the UK. - i.e Bristol/Belfast/Edinburgh/Newcastle), extend and grow Berlin and slowly increase Turkey flying again.

User001

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Manchester is a focus point for growth. They have added 2 aircraft this winter, 3 more confirmed to come in summer 2019. They also have plans afoot for more aircraft but need T1 capacity to be freed for that to happen. Jet2 are moving more aircraft to T2 so as that happens, Easyjet will move more in.

BHXflyinghigh

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Seriously hoping the new CEO can get some EZY growth at BHX.

eicvd

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:19 pm

There was rumours (& that’s all they seem to be now unfortunately) that Easyjet was to announce a DUB flight from LGW. Some say it wouldn’t make sense because Ryanair would fight them off but for a few reasons I think it would work. Dublin-London is a huge market that’s basically dominated by just Ryanair & IAG (at a push there is BE from SEN!). Being huge at LGW will work in Easyjets favour & personally I think Ryanair have grown up a bit in fighting airlines off. They might ‘price dump’ but add flights they will not, there would be uproar if they withdrew the ORK & SNN flights for more DUB-LGW flights & they can’t simply add more DUB flights without LGW slots. DUB-Paris could even be an option, with FR out in BVA, EI & AF from CDG & just a daily Transavia flight from ORY Paris could work. Once they get a foot in the door here they could open new routes from more of their bases. Probably will never happen but I’m optimistic it could work, Easyjet in DUB is more plausible than Dakar, Banjul & obviously transatlantic IMO.
COYBIB

by738

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 pm

The UK manager suggested there was upcoming 'significant' expansion from GLA, but that was almost a year ago and nothing came of it thus far...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos