• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 13
 
edealinfo
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:51 pm

How is Philippines Airlines doing on the JFK - MNL direct flight in terms of the occupancy factor and the yields?
 
carlokiii
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 am

PR's 5th A350 [RP-C3507] has rolled out off the paint shop featuring the "Love Bus" kiss mark.
Image
Source: @Airbus
 
carlokiii
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 am

PR's 5th A350 has rolled out off the paint shop featuring the "Love Bus" kiss mark.
Image
Source: @Airbus on Twitter
 
PR77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 am

carlokiii wrote:
PR's 5th A350 has rolled out off the paint shop featuring the "Love Bus" kiss mark.
Image
Source: @Airbus on Twitter


Well not surprised that it is more of a nose art then a special livery, considering the A300B-4 was in standard livery when it had the love bus logo. Still hoping PAL will introduced a special livery on one of there aircraft in the near future.
 
flyingdoc787
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:26 am

MWAH! Love the Love Bus! Mabuhay!
 
Thehouyhnhnm
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:03 pm

 
Zephyrhills
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:48 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm

After much speculation, looks like it is NH investing in PR: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Deals/Japan-s-ANA-to-buy-10-stake-in-Philippine-Airlines-sources

Reports have cited sales of up to a 40% stake, any speculation on who the other investor(s) may be?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pal-targets-stake-sale-to-strategic-investor-by-mid-454906/
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:52 pm

PR77W wrote:
Well not surprised that it is more of a nose art then a special livery

It's definitely meant as a "tweak" to update the look a bit. Finally, PR have a splash of color on the bare front end of their aircraft. Although I was thinking there would be a little neutral muted design around the main nose art (red area in the tweet) for background. They have shown remarkable restraint here.


Zephyrhills wrote:
Reports have cited sales of up to a 40% stake, any speculation on who the other investor(s) may be?

That could be it...things might not be conducive for multiple interests. :stirthepot: So, would they operate together and share lounges at NAIA Terminal 1 now :?:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Ohhhhh its ANA!
 
docjowl
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:31 am

Thehouyhnhnm wrote:


ANA = possible *A membership.. goodbye OW?

If it will be *A, curious how SQ and TG collaborations will pan out.

Partnership with UA might be ok for connecting flights to the US, but competition with BR, OZ and NH itself for US bound traffic would be interesting!
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 am

Star Alliance procedures IIRC requires all members to unanimously vote in any potential new members.

The question is will SQ, TG, BR vote in favour of PR in if NH tries to sponsor PR into the Star Alliance? May there be a surprise 'veto' from an airline in a different region?
Although if it's only one airline 'veto-ing' and the rest of the Star Alliance group wanted the member in, the sole veto-ing airline would be under heavy pressure.
 
docjowl
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:19 am

Quick clarification from PAL re: ANA entry

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/01/23 ... c-investor

"PAL has always been open to the possibility of a strategic investor. As of date, there is no definite agreement between PAL and any investor," the airline said in a disclosure.

Hmmm.. interesting developments
 
PR77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:20 am

docjowl wrote:
Quick clarification from PAL re: ANA entry

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/01/23 ... c-investor

"PAL has always been open to the possibility of a strategic investor. As of date, there is no definite agreement between PAL and any investor," the airline said in a disclosure.

Hmmm.. interesting developments


Judging from the statement it looks like negotiations are still on-going and can still fall through so the statement would make sense IMHO.
 
PR77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:24 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Star Alliance procedures IIRC requires all members to unanimously vote in any potential new members.

The question is will SQ, TG, BR vote in favour of PR in if NH tries to sponsor PR into the Star Alliance? May there be a surprise 'veto' from an airline in a different region?
Although if it's only one airline 'veto-ing' and the rest of the Star Alliance group wanted the member in, the sole veto-ing airline would be under heavy pressure.


Would like to point up that ANA Holding already owns a minority stake in VN and there members of sky team. So wouldn't yet hold my breath if PAL will join Star.
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:27 am

PR77W wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Star Alliance procedures IIRC requires all members to unanimously vote in any potential new members.

The question is will SQ, TG, BR vote in favour of PR in if NH tries to sponsor PR into the Star Alliance? May there be a surprise 'veto' from an airline in a different region?
Although if it's only one airline 'veto-ing' and the rest of the Star Alliance group wanted the member in, the sole veto-ing airline would be under heavy pressure.


Would like to point up that ANA Holding already owns a minority stake in VN and there members of sky team. So wouldn't yet hold my breath if PAL will join Star.


Key difference would be that VN was already an ST member long before NH bought into the airline.
 
docjowl
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am

Sharing the review of PAL's A350 Flight MNL-JFK by TPG --> 74/100

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/philip ... 0-economy/
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:37 pm

docjowl wrote:
Quick clarification from PAL re: ANA entry

Apparently, it may be a while yet before this matter is finalized with whoever the strategic investor might be.....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... na-455206/


PR's president may have been quoted out of context...or he should desist from issuing anymore indefinite statements to the media.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 pm

Dear God, please let Emirates invest in Philippine Airlines! As the 2nd final investor.Amen

Or Qatar Airways,or the Casino in Manila (that makes millions of dollars in profits/no sangley airport). Amen :)
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:28 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Dear God, please let Emirates invest in Philippine Airlines! As the 2nd final investor.Amen

Or Qatar Airways,or the Casino in Manila (that makes millions of dollars in profits/no sangley airport). Amen :)


Much better if QR, IMO if in case PR wants to join OW.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:02 am

ANA issued a statement regarding the discussions with PAL.....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... nt-455236/
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 am

Despite the indefinite nature of the talks, non-disclosure agreement and unresolved issues, one winner in this drama seems to be PAL Holdings' stock..... :house: .....

https://business.inquirer.net/264051/ot ... rity-stake



Elsewhere...as one SkyscraperCity member puts it, Panglao International Airport looks like it is 5J's home..... :D .....

source: @ctto Leslie Chow
Image
https://scontent.fcrk1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CBDDEB1


Image
https://scontent.fcrk1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CCC57A3

posted by: @mrwhitepatch
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:47 pm

The Inquirer reveals PR A359's "full monty"..... :eyepopping: .....

Image

https://business.inquirer.net/264123/pa ... e-love-bus


Awaiting Airbus' photo tweet for the delivery flight next month. :airplane: YYZ spotters will have something "fresh" to look forward to. :goodvibes:


http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-YYZ&MS=wls&DU=nm
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:49 pm

It's quite "interesting" (to say the least) that Flightglobal chose a crowded photo of NAIA Terminal 1's check-in hall for its banner analysis on "megatrends and aviation's future" ..... :crowded: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... on-454997/

Image
https://d3fod5fkpt74ph.cloudfront.net/c ... 6f5e8c.jpg


Is there really no relief on the horizon :?:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Akiestar
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:19 am

Looks like SGL may be coming online soon: it's scheduled to open in October, and PR will move all turboprop operations there from CRK.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:46 am

Akiestar wrote:
Looks like SGL may be coming online soon: it's scheduled to open in October, and PR will move all turboprop operations there from CRK.

What's the status of the proposed Sangley Boulevard road widening project that's supposed to be the main access to SGL :?:

http://www.dpwh.gov.ph/dpwh/PPP/projs/Cavitex_Sangley


http://www.dpwh.gov.ph/dpwh/sites/defau ... angley.jpg


Image
http://cdn.ibtimes.ph/sites/ph.ibtimes. ... r2uyee.jpg


Image
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7469/2830 ... 6972_c.jpg
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Philippine747
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Unreported on this thread, but 5J's first NEO has entered service last January 23, with its first revenue service as 5J581 from Manila to Cebu.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE
 
azyazy
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Beautiful lovebus!not too much.i love the livery.
 
Akiestar
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 am

azyazy wrote:
Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?


I haven't heard this. Why would Lucio Tan want to sell part of PR back to San Miguel, especially considering what happened the last time they invested?

There are a lot of rumors going around that I don't know are true or not and I figured deserve explanation. One particular rumor that caught my eye was in the TPG comments section, where someone said DL considered investing in PR but backed off, leading to a collapse in talks between the two airlines.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:41 am

Akiestar wrote:
Why would Lucio Tan want to sell part of PR back to San Miguel, especially considering what happened the last time they invested?

:scratchchin: He may not want to but having operations split between NAIA and SGL could be more trouble than it's worth to him keeping the turboprop side in the fold (what with 5J also competing for the same passengers). For RSA, he might need to start his own airline (as he was known wanting to previously) perhaps to dominate MPH now that other carriers seem to be dialing back their services there (jets being prohibitive for the time being). Just my :twocents: .


PR A359 "Love Bus" (msn 280) in the air..... :airplane: .....

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
PR77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:29 am

azyazy wrote:
Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?


I have also heard about this rumor couldn't find any sources online. However I have to also question how this will benefit LTG since GAP operates most of PAL domestic flights with the exception of CEB, DVO and GES. if this push through will PAL once again takeover domestic operations once more, and if RSA bought GAP will they just focus on MPH?
With so many questions however I wouldn't dismissed this rumor unless LTG or RSA offically release any statement about this rumors.
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:31 am

azyazy wrote:
Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?

Not true, at least according to Arianespace (who is generally a very good source for insider info) - although he says RSA is negotiating for PR to move their operations to Bulacan if/when it is opened.

PR77W wrote:
azyazy wrote:
Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?


I have also heard about this rumor couldn't find any sources online. However I have to also question how this will benefit LTG since GAP operates most of PAL domestic flights with the exception of CEB, DVO and GES. if this push through will PAL once again takeover domestic operations once more, and if RSA bought GAP will they just focus on MPH?
With so many questions however I wouldn't dismissed this rumor unless LTG or RSA offically release any statement about this rumors.


If this did actually happen, they could always sign a code-sharing agreement so PAL can focus on domestic trunk routes while the hypothetical spun-off PALex/Air Philippines can focus on the rest.
 
PR77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 pm

idp5601 wrote:
azyazy wrote:
Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?

Not true, at least according to Arianespace (who is generally a very good source for insider info) - although he says RSA is negotiating for PR to move their operations to Bulacan if/when it is opened.

PR77W wrote:
azyazy wrote:
Anybody here heard the rumors/gossips with RSA buying 2P from LTG and will be rebranding it back to Air Philippines?


I have also heard about this rumor couldn't find any sources online. However I have to also question how this will benefit LTG since GAP operates most of PAL domestic flights with the exception of CEB, DVO and GES. if this push through will PAL once again takeover domestic operations once more, and if RSA bought GAP will they just focus on MPH?
With so many questions however I wouldn't dismissed this rumor unless LTG or RSA offically release any statement about this rumors.


If this did actually happen, they could always sign a code-sharing agreement so PAL can focus on domestic trunk routes while the hypothetical spun-off PALex/Air Philippines can focus on the rest.


That makes sense and also quite ironic as RSA have plan back in 2012 when he was still ceo of PAL was to have its own airport. Looks like SMC Bulacan Airport will be competing with CRK! additionally with JG Summit involved at the North Luzon Airport Consortium it is likely that 5J will turn CRK as its primary hub in the future? However I have to asked those this effect APG how also have plans to expand operations at CRK?
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Only need to cross the t's and dot the i's..... :highfive: .....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... h-pal.html


Kampai..... :champagne:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am

Devilfish wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
Looks like SGL may be coming online soon: it's scheduled to open in October, and PR will move all turboprop operations there from CRK.

What's the status of the proposed Sangley Boulevard road widening project that's supposed to be the main access to SGL :?:

http://www.dpwh.gov.ph/dpwh/PPP/projs/Cavitex_Sangley


http://www.dpwh.gov.ph/dpwh/sites/defau ... angley.jpg


Image
http://cdn.ibtimes.ph/sites/ph.ibtimes. ... r2uyee.jpg


Image
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7469/2830 ... 6972_c.jpg


This proposed Sangley Boulevard connecting CAVITEX to SGL is still a proposal. But CAVITEX Infra Corp. mentioned in an article to BusinessWorld August last year that they would consider building it, as long as there would be positive developments in that airport.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Done deal...time to pour out the sake...or for those who prefer stronger, native libation - lambanog :!: ..... :cheerful: .....

Image
https://assets.rappler.com/612F469A6EA8 ... A3B401.jpg


One thing that interests me most with this collaboration was the statement of PR's president linked in #68 above.....

Quote:
"Bautista said having a large strategic partner was nevertheless beneficial for PAL and its goals to expand globally and to boost profitability.

'Airline margins now are very low so for an airline to be profitable, you really need to reduce costs,' Bautista said. He explained that PAL could tap its partner and enter into joint purchasing agreements to win more favorable terms."



I read that to mean "new aircraft for starting upcoming long-haul routes".....and there seems to be only two suitable candidates within the limits of PR's purse..... :airplane: .....

Image
https://d3fod5fkpt74ph.cloudfront.net/e ... 57b302.jpg


This could be a tightly contested tender...small size notwithstanding. :box:



And to answer my own question upthread..... :smile:

Devilfish wrote:
Is there really no relief on the horizon :?:

With a little modification, the Government could build this SM-esque conceptual design at PVH/Nayong Pilipino area on its own if the concessionaires won't...to provide a neat solution to the NAIA terminals' overcrowding and ample gate number for new aircraft coming on line..... :bigthumbsup: .....

Image
https://scontent.fmnl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CCF870B


All it takes is political will and a little less subservience to entrenched interests. :spin:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:11 am

Devilfish wrote:
One thing that interests me most with this collaboration was the statement of PR's president linked in #68 above.....

Quote:
"Bautista said having a large strategic partner was nevertheless beneficial for PAL and its goals to expand globally and to boost profitability.

'Airline margins now are very low so for an airline to be profitable, you really need to reduce costs,' Bautista said. He explained that PAL could tap its partner and enter into joint purchasing agreements to win more favorable terms."



I read that to mean "new aircraft for starting upcoming long-haul routes".....and there seems to be only two suitable candidates within the limits of PR's purse..... :airplane: .....

Image
https://d3fod5fkpt74ph.cloudfront.net/e ... 57b302.jpg


This could be a tightly contested tender...small size notwithstanding. :box:


Considering that we're talking about NH here, I'm assuming any potential for PR taking advantage of their new partner's favourable deals to get more long-haul planes would involve Boeing aircraft.
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 am

Devilfish wrote:
I read that to mean "new aircraft for starting upcoming long-haul routes".....and there seems to be only two suitable candidates within the limits of PR's purse..... :airplane: .....

Image
https://d3fod5fkpt74ph.cloudfront.net/e ... 57b302.jpg


This could be a tightly contested tender...small size notwithstanding. :box:



And to answer my own question upthread..... :smile:


B789 is likely to be chosen by PAL (finally) for some long haul expansion but this should be done for routes outside MNL like CRK and CEB. I don't see A338 to be the best aircraft for PAL on long haul, despite commonality to the existing A333.
 
docjowl
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:54 am

CAPA has a premium analysis for the ANA investment in PAL

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... nds-457733

Very interesting concluding statements from CAPA after putting things in perspective:

"While the deal is strategically significantly for PAL, which has been trying to secure a foreign airline investor for years, the stake is small, and the USD95 million investment is pocket change for ANA. The fact that the transaction values PAL at only USD1 billion, despite group revenues of over USD2.5 billion and an extremely attractive slot portfolio at congested Manila, reflects the challenges PAL faces."
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 pm

idp5601 wrote:
Considering that we're talking about NH here, I'm assuming any potential for PR taking advantage of their new partner's favourable deals to get more long-haul planes would involve Boeing aircraft.

Not exclusively...for sure, both airframers would get an even chance to tender. To wit..... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1414183



SkyHigher wrote:
B789 is likely to be chosen by PAL (finally) for some long haul expansion but this should be done for routes outside MNL like CRK and CEB. I don't see A338 to be the best aircraft for PAL on long haul, despite commonality to the existing A333.

Not necessarily...I was merely speculating that there would be an RFP given the airline's pronouncement on 'global' expansion. That said, MNL will continue to attract most of it, despite major developments in CEB and CRK. While I favored the 789 for PR originally, they have decided on the A359 and that will have a bearing on future choices. The A338's main disadvantage here is its lack of an existing operator base, and indeed the paltry order book. It might surmount these and the slight efficiency edge of the 789 if the "better than expected" test results are borne out in actual service. At the end of the day, it would all come down to pricing and who offers the better deal. :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:


docjowl wrote:
Very interesting concluding statements from CAPA after putting things in perspective:

Without seeing the full analysis, I'd say that is a fairly accurate assessment of the transaction.


docjowl wrote:
"an extremely attractive slot portfolio at congested Manila, reflects the challenges PAL faces"

And that's where an "expeditiously built" terminal like the above at NAIA would have the most positive impact :!: :old:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:16 am

Devilfish wrote:
idp5601 wrote:
Considering that we're talking about NH here, I'm assuming any potential for PR taking advantage of their new partner's favourable deals to get more long-haul planes would involve Boeing aircraft.

Not exclusively...for sure, both airframers would get an even chance to tender. To wit..... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1414183





I was referring more to long-haul planes, and NH doesn't seem to have any plans to buy any long-haul/widebody Airbus aside from the A380 at the moment anyway.
 
PR77W
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Speaking of RFI CEB is looking to double its wide-body fleet by the 2020s.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... fi-455422/

Delivery is expected to be either late-2020 or in 2021. Possible candidates are either the Airbus A330neo or the Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:42 pm

idp5601 wrote:
I was referring more to long-haul planes, and NH doesn't seem to have any plans to buy any long-haul/widebody Airbus aside from the A380 at the moment anyway.

I'm trying to recall if the stillborn A358 was ever offered to ANA in competition with the 788 when they were renewing their widebody fleet..... :scratchchin: .....


In any case, it is PR who would be needing the additional lift sooner or later. :airplane:


PR77W wrote:
Speaking of RFI CEB is looking to double its wide-body fleet by the 2020s. Delivery is expected to be either late-2020 or in 2021. Possible candidates are either the Airbus A330neo or the Boeing 787 Dreamliners.

Most interesting are these lines.....

Quote:
"They will support growth in slot-constrained markets rather than the expansion of the airline's long-haul network.

'We are not doubling our widebody fleet to go and fly lots of places long-haul. Yes we will want to do long-haul, yes we may do the [US] west coast, but that is not our priority,' says Szucs.

'Our priority, we see it more as a big bus in these very very slot-constrained markets, where the only way we are going to grow is through extra seat capacity. There will be some long-haul routes for sure, but about 75% of the flying of the widebodies will be in the short-haul regional market around Asia Pacific'."



https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 19-455414/

Quote:
"The Philippine low-cost carrier says the 236-seat A321neo help it maximise precious airport slots at Manila’s congested Ninoy Aquino International. Its longer range will also allow the carrier explore new destinations in India, Russia, northern Japan and Australia."


These again also highlight the very urgent need for terminal capacity expansion at NAIA :!:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... unway-0624
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:24 pm

B787-9 are nice.but i wonder if they'll wait for the ultimate, creme de la creme B777x-9s.
They still have options for 6 A359s or 35k.
With the 95 million,they could refurbish their other A330s,if they are not greedy.
I don't think they'll go for the A330neo.even do its one of my favourite plane.
But thinking about the NAIA problem...they might delay their orders.
 
carlokiii
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:02 am

PR77W wrote:
Speaking of RFI CEB is looking to double its wide-body fleet by the 2020s.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... fi-455422/

Delivery is expected to be either late-2020 or in 2021. Possible candidates are either the Airbus A330neo or the Boeing 787 Dreamliners.

With the intended purpose of increasing capacity around Asia rather than any real long-haul flying, this is Airbus' order to lose. With the A339 matching/exceeding the maximum exit limits of all 787 variants, their A333 already in 9-abreast economy, and with real long-haul flying on the back-burner, the 787 family just doesn't offer anything better except for arguably lower CASM.

While the Dreamliner is a great plane and undoubtedly more efficient, the A330 (in CEO or NEO form actually in view of NEO's marginal efficiency gain over the CEO for shorter flights) is just a better fit for 5J's needs.
 
Yeetus787
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:39 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:09 am

It would be exciting if it was the 787-9, that would mean a second Boeing model in major airline service in PH. THe A330neo is also good though
 
User avatar
b777900
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am

ANY new destinations out of CEB besides NGO or new Western Airlines??? Could PR try CEB-HNL?
[i[b]]Prepare for Gate arrival, Gate 32
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 am

b777900 wrote:
ANY new destinations out of CEB besides NGO or new Western Airlines??? Could PR try CEB-HNL?


CZ just launched CAN-CEB and Juneyao just launched PVG-CEB. Aside from that, nothing new.

As for PR trying CEB-HNL, I think that's highly unlikely at the moment. If PR wants to do CEB-US again LAX would be their main priority.


On another note, someone on another aviation forum I follow is saying that some Boeing reps are going to travel to the Philippines this month to pitch the 777X to PR.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:30 pm

idp5601 wrote:
On another note, someone on another aviation forum I follow is saying that some Boeing reps are going to travel to the Philippines this month to pitch the 777X to PR.

If ever, I doubt PR would go bigger than the 778...... :stretch: .....

Image
https://www.airlineratings.com/wp-conte ... 777-8X.jpg


Perhaps after MNL gets its new premier international gateway in Bulakan :?: ..... :cheerful:

Image
https://simpleflying.com/wp-content/upl ... ll-169.jpg


I imagine it will have stiff competition in this..... :box: .....

Image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWAuBDZVoAAFa0A.jpg


Just my :twocents: .
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Devilfish wrote:
idp5601 wrote:
On another note, someone on another aviation forum I follow is saying that some Boeing reps are going to travel to the Philippines this month to pitch the 777X to PR.

If ever, I doubt PR would go bigger than the 778...... :stretch: .....


I wouldn't entirely write off the 779 as well, to be honest. If I recall correctly, PR had good loads (both pax and cargo) on their 744 on US West Coast routes, and since the 779 is supposedly much more efficient than the 744 and is currently the closest in terms of capacity to said plane that is also practical for PAL, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for them to purchase it in the near future.

That being said, I believe PR will ultimately end up with the A35K, unless Boeing cuts them an outrageously good offer.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 13

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos