YYZORD
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:16 am

Anyone know when PAL will finally add SEA and ORD?!?!?!
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:37 am

Any news on RP-C3503 ? Hasn't flown for a month or so.
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:56 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Any news on RP-C3503 ? Hasn't flown for a month or so.

Struck by lightning, IIRC in HKG and returned to MNL for repair at LTP, which is still ongoing.
 
LRB40
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:47 am

SkyHigher wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
Any news on RP-C3503 ? Hasn't flown for a month or so.

Struck by lightning, IIRC in HKG and returned to MNL for repair at LTP, which is still ongoing.


Reported to have a damaged cargo door. Not sure if hit by ground equipment or if indeed due to lightning.
https://twitter.com/miguelrcamusINQ/sta ... 46241?s=20
 
docjowl
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 am

"According to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, former Ibex Global COO Gilbert Santa Maria will be PAL's new president, replacing Jaime Bautista, who retired recently. Billionaire Lucio Tan, who chairs PAL, handpicked Santa Maria, according to the Inquirer report that cited multiple sources."

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/07/29 ... o-be-named
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 am

While not a former airline person, he is technically trained and held manufacturing/production positions locally before venturing abroad.....

Image

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... -president

Quote:
"'The flag carrier matters. That’s one of the reasons I took the job,' said Santa Maria in an interview following the company’s board meeting.

'I’ve been across multiple industries so I’m not intimidated by industry change. This is day one for me. We have a lot of work to do,' he said.

'For a president, you don’t have to be an airline guy. You just have to know how to manage people, and then make everybody work together. So he has a good background in management. He has managed a lot of companies, foreign and local,' PAL vice chairman Lucio 'Bong' Tan Jr. said.

Santa Maria has a Master’s in Public and Private Management from the Yale University School of Management and a BS in Electrical Engineering from the University of the Philippines in Diliman."



His appointment is seen as ushering in a new era at PAL. :thumbsup:



Meanwhile, 5J is not planning to fly anywhere in the U.S. just yet according to their VP for marketing.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... -radar-yet



This opinion piece might indicate that the NAIA Consortium could build a new international pax terminal at the Nayong Pilipino area..... :scratchchin: .....

https://www.philstar.com/opinion/2019/0 ... soon-clark



Over in Bulakan...with two days to go, it's increasingly certain that no other entity will come up to challenge SMC's unsolicited proposal for a new international gateway in the country.....

https://business.inquirer.net/275688/no ... irport-bid
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
LRB40
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Are they green lighting the planned Mabuhay "Mega" Lounge in the far end of the International Wing in T2? Found this recent post on Instagram:

Image

Image

Image

https://www.instagram.com/gritdesignstudioinc/
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:18 pm

What a beautiful lounge!*_* c'est chic,exactly my taste...industrial,grey paired with dark wood.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:11 pm

LRB40 wrote:
Are they green lighting the planned Mabuhay "Mega" Lounge in the far end of the International Wing in T2? Found this recent post on Instagram:

:wideeyed: The view out of the window shows T3 across Rwy 13/31. I'll be very happy if the NAIA Consortium would build a new, spacious international pax terminal at the Nayong Pilipino area and put that fancy Mabuhay Lounge in it instead. :bigthumbsup:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:41 pm

I think that,that greedy old man had invested in pal.but i think its not enough!
People were complaining about the A330s year after year,and it didn't stop until now!why aren't they doing something about the A330s?!will they get sold? Some A330 asian routes now,maybe replaced by the A321neos?idk...but people are really losing patience

https://youtu.be/K-Hu4PtdP_E
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 am

Congrats to the New Manila-Bulacan International Airport!
 
debonair
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:57 am

There are some news around, that SriLankan airline "Air Sakurai" purchased former Fil-Asian Airways NAMC YS-11-A-222 RP-C3591.

Any updates regarding Royal Air Philippines Airbus-fleet, pictures?!
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:44 am

It's official, New Manila International Airport in Bulakan, Bulacan will commence its construction before 2019 ends.

https://www.facebook.com/13040649043182 ... 287776003/

Department of Transportation

Image

Construction works for the New Manila International Airport in Bulacan is set to commence before the end of the year.

This comes as the Department of Transportation (DOTr) concluded the Swiss Challenge for the unsolicited proposal of San Miguel Holdings Corporation (SMHC) today, 31 July 2019.

In the opening of bids conducted by the DOTr’s Bids and Awards Committee (BAC), there were no rivals to challenge the original proponent for the construction, operation and maintenance of the international airport.

DOTr Assistant Secretary for Procurement and Project Implementation Giovanni Lopez, who also leads the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC), said that the Notice of Award to SMHC will be issued immediately after a recommendation from the Technical Working Group (TWG) is made within three days. It will then be submitted by BAC to the DOTr Aviation and Airports Sector within five days.

Once the Notice to Proceed is issued between August and the first week of September, the SMHC shall then be in charge of the financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance of NMIA.

--SNIP--

NMIA has a design capacity of 100 million passengers per year but can be expanded to 200 million. With four parallel runways planned, it targets 240 aircraft movements per hour. The project will also include the construction of an 8.4-kilometer tollway that will connect the NMIA to the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) in Marilao, Bulacan.

Asec. Lopez said the NMIA is expected to be operational within four to six years from the start of construction, targeted before the end of this year.


We'll also wait for the architectural renders of NMIA coming from DOTr, San Miguel and ICN International Airport Corp., hoping that it would adapt the form and function that ICN is using.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 pm

debonair wrote:
There are some news around, that SriLankan airline "Air Sakurai" purchased former Fil-Asian Airways NAMC YS-11-A-222 RP-C3591.

It is good that YS-11 still looks to have a bit of flying life left in it. Amazing what a fresh livery could do..... :old: .....




SkyHigher wrote:
It's official, New Manila International Airport in Bulakan, Bulacan will commence its construction before 2019 ends.

There's no mention of the coastal highway extension from Manila's R10...although that broad, gray line to the extreme right of the image seems to indicate one. Maybe the Government is building it on its own or in conjunction with MPTC? :scratchchin:

Surely San Mig's will be flowing at SMC headquarters by now?..... :champagne: .....

Image
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... rmat=1500w


SkyHigher wrote:
We'll also wait for the architectural renders of NMIA coming from DOTr, San Miguel and ICN International Airport Corp., hoping that it would adapt the form and function that ICN is using.

Now comes the most interesting part...would it also be widely panned as their MPH terminal :?: :stirthepot:


And might RSA revisit his own airline idea and take a look at the A220 for flying into 'their' airports? :airplane:

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
jteruel06
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:34 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
jteruel06 wrote:
5J to end flights to Guam effective Dec 7

http://www.flightsinasia.com/article/4487


Interesting that 5J couldn't survive in Guam and that PR and UA are the last ones standing. You would have thought that with their low fares they could have done well. Sure there's the visa thing, but if that were the case, then all of them should have struggled instead of just 5J.


UA has the connecting traffic (the HNL-GUM/island hopper) and the MileagePlus members, and both PR and UA offer fares that compared to 5J are decent enough. The low fares are great for short getaways, but there isn't much of a strong middle class on Guam that can afford those types of trips frequently within the year. Plus compared to 5J's fares for Manila-Guam, Filipino travelers have much cheaper options including Japan and Korea, where fares can be less than USD $200 minus.

Compared to the Korean tourist market which is dominated by Korean LCCs, 5J couldn't get that kind of constant traffic to fill up seats and we can't blame them for wanting to use the A320 on a more profitable route elsewhere.
Last edited by jteruel06 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffrey Teruel
Programmer, Publisher, Aviation Geek
 
jteruel06
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:35 am

SkyHigher wrote:
It's official, New Manila International Airport in Bulakan, Bulacan will commence its construction before 2019 ends.

https://www.facebook.com/13040649043182 ... 287776003/

Department of Transportation

Image

Construction works for the New Manila International Airport in Bulacan is set to commence before the end of the year.

This comes as the Department of Transportation (DOTr) concluded the Swiss Challenge for the unsolicited proposal of San Miguel Holdings Corporation (SMHC) today, 31 July 2019.

In the opening of bids conducted by the DOTr’s Bids and Awards Committee (BAC), there were no rivals to challenge the original proponent for the construction, operation and maintenance of the international airport.

DOTr Assistant Secretary for Procurement and Project Implementation Giovanni Lopez, who also leads the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC), said that the Notice of Award to SMHC will be issued immediately after a recommendation from the Technical Working Group (TWG) is made within three days. It will then be submitted by BAC to the DOTr Aviation and Airports Sector within five days.

Once the Notice to Proceed is issued between August and the first week of September, the SMHC shall then be in charge of the financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance of NMIA.

--SNIP--

NMIA has a design capacity of 100 million passengers per year but can be expanded to 200 million. With four parallel runways planned, it targets 240 aircraft movements per hour. The project will also include the construction of an 8.4-kilometer tollway that will connect the NMIA to the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) in Marilao, Bulacan.

Asec. Lopez said the NMIA is expected to be operational within four to six years from the start of construction, targeted before the end of this year.


We'll also wait for the architectural renders of NMIA coming from DOTr, San Miguel and ICN International Airport Corp., hoping that it would adapt the form and function that ICN is using.


There better be a bar stocked with San Mig at the new airport.
Jeffrey Teruel
Programmer, Publisher, Aviation Geek
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am

Devilfish wrote:
SkyHigher wrote:
It's official, New Manila International Airport in Bulakan, Bulacan will commence its construction before 2019 ends.

There's no mention of the coastal highway extension from Manila's R10...although that broad, gray line to the extreme right of the image seems to indicate one. Maybe the Government is building it on its own or in conjunction with MPTC? :scratchchin:


On the quoted caption, they did mention an 8.4 km toll road that will connect NMIA to NLEX in Marilao, Bulacan which is owned by MVP (thru MPTC's NLEX Corporation). The R10 is still a proposal but IMHO, the NLEX connection with a railway is already better than building a new one that will surely displace residents living beside the Manila Bay waters from Navotas, Obando and Bulakan town.

SkyHigher wrote:
We'll also wait for the architectural renders of NMIA coming from DOTr, San Miguel and ICN International Airport Corp., hoping that it would adapt the form and function that ICN is using.

Now comes the most interesting part...would it also be widely panned as their MPH terminal :?: :stirthepot:


Since there were reportedly design revisions on new MPH terminal building that affects construction, I doubt NMIA would experience that since Incheon Int'l Airport Corp. is one of their partners and i'm confident that NMIA would be somewhat a carbon copy of ICN by adapting form and function, as I mentioned.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:51 pm

jteruel06 wrote:
Compared to the Korean tourist market which is dominated by Korean LCCs, 5J couldn't get that kind of constant traffic to fill up seats and we can't blame them for wanting to use the A320 on a more profitable route elsewhere.

And with DL starting ICN-MNL, it would be a pretty saturated market with more than enough players. :crowded:


jteruel06 wrote:
There better be a bar stocked with San Mig at the new airport.

:shhh: Rumor is SMC would put up their 'grandest' flagship San Mig pub there! :drunk:


SkyHigher wrote:
The R10 is still a proposal but IMHO, the NLEX connection with a railway is already better than building a new one that will surely displace residents living beside the Manila Bay waters from Navotas, Obando and Bulakan town.

I seem to recall RSA saying in one of the press releases that they'd build the coastal expressway for an easier and faster commute from southern NCR. I guess it was just a fluff piece to gain wider support and acceptance for the project. :scratchchin:


SkyHigher wrote:
Since there were reportedly design revisions on new MPH terminal building that affects construction, I doubt NMIA would experience that since Incheon Int'l Airport Corp. is one of their partners and i'm confident that NMIA would be somewhat a carbon copy of ICN by adapting form and function, as I mentioned.

I truly hope value engineering and penny pinching wouldn't reduce the proposed NMIA to the same predicament. :crossfingers: I assume SMC and its partners already have a working conceptual design ready for refinements and fine tuning. Maybe they're just waiting for the NTP before revealing it. That said, I wonder if separation distances between the four parallel runways are specified for independent, simultaneous operations. Also, the structure footprint of what looks to be an aircraft maintenance hangar (even if low) seems to be close to the landing/takeoff clearway of the shorter left runway.

It would take a long time to build-up and stabilize the airfield area. I guess they would dredge the waterways around it for fill material, as well as de-silt and sheet pile those to provide deeper, wider channels for drainage. Chances are the airside wouldn't be ready soon enough for inspection flights in this..... :airplane: .....



Perhaps the airport would open with an inaugural flight of this (not necessarily in those liveries)..... :bigthumbsup: .....

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 pm

If SMC could only focuse on the airport and spend it only on that...and not on his airport city...then we will see a new prestigious design like in beijing-daxing.
Fingers crossed for a new design.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:12 am

From SkyscraperCity...a Google shot of the NMIA location.....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/New+M ... 20.8885789

posted by: @romyman



It's now the Super Consortium's NAIA Redevelopment proposal's turn to be endorsed to NEDA for approval.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... consortium
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
janbrubel
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Devilfish wrote:
From SkyscraperCity...a Google shot of the NMIA location.....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/New+M ... 20.8885789
posted by: @romyman

It's now the Super Consortium's NAIA Redevelopment proposal's turn to be endorsed to NEDA for approval.....
https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... consortium



So the intention is to keep NAIA up and running even after NMIA opens?
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm

janbrubel wrote:
So the intention is to keep NAIA up and running even after NMIA opens?

The 15-year concession period and the limited scope of development reflect the remaining viability of NAIA but at the same time allow a pragmatic approach in case Bulakan doesn't proceed as smoothly as planned.

In the meantime, there is this rather optimistic view of Philippine aviation in general..... :optimist: .....

https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/sund ... w-airports
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm

PAL aims to be lean and profitable with ANA/Lufthansa's help.....

https://business.inquirer.net/276152/pa ... ey-in-2020
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
docjowl
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

Finally, 5J's cargo ATR turboprop is here!

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/08/06 ... argo-plane
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:09 am

Devilfish wrote:
SkyHigher wrote:
The R10 is still a proposal but IMHO, the NLEX connection with a railway is already better than building a new one that will surely displace residents living beside the Manila Bay waters from Navotas, Obando and Bulakan town.

I seem to recall RSA saying in one of the press releases that they'd build the coastal expressway for an easier and faster commute from southern NCR. I guess it was just a fluff piece to gain wider support and acceptance for the project. :scratchchin:


Easier and faster commute from Southern NCR via CAVITEX? That planned road can only serve more on private vehicles than public ones. But yeah, I still oppose that proposal since it will have a huge environmental impact, displacing families, losing livelihood, etc.

Devilfish wrote:
SkyHigher wrote:
Since there were reportedly design revisions on new MPH terminal building that affects construction, I doubt NMIA would experience that since Incheon Int'l Airport Corp. is one of their partners and i'm confident that NMIA would be somewhat a carbon copy of ICN by adapting form and function, as I mentioned.


I truly hope value engineering and penny pinching wouldn't reduce the proposed NMIA to the same predicament. :crossfingers: I assume SMC and its partners already have a working conceptual design ready for refinements and fine tuning. Maybe they're just waiting for the NTP before revealing it. That said, I wonder if separation distances between the four parallel runways are specified for independent, simultaneous operations. Also, the structure footprint of what looks to be an aircraft maintenance hangar (even if low) seems to be close to the landing/takeoff clearway of the shorter left runway.

It would take a long time to build-up and stabilize the airfield area. I guess they would dredge the waterways around it for fill material, as well as de-silt and sheet pile those to provide deeper, wider channels for drainage. Chances are the airside wouldn't be ready soon enough for inspection flights in this..... :airplane: .....



Perhaps the airport would open with an inaugural flight of this (not necessarily in those liveries)..... :bigthumbsup: .....



The planned 4-runway system of NMIA will only be possible on the air traffic situation. Initially, 2 runways will be built once it opens in 2024 or 2026.

The engineers and architects that San Miguel and ICN Int'l Airport Corp. will be hiring will do their job on how will NMIA function without trouble. The land in Bulakan, Bulacan where the airport will be built is a marsh land and full of fish pens so stabilization of land by reclamation is what the engineers will be dealing within the construction period.

Yes, test flights will probably begin with smaller planes up to the biggest ones for proving flights. But on target 2024 or 2026 opening, expect that a large commercial airline will be the first to land in the new airport and not bizjets or regional jets.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:12 pm

docjowl wrote:
Finally, 5J's cargo ATR turboprop is here!

With a photo accompanying Flightglobal's report..... :camera: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... te-460130/

Image
https://www.flightglobal.com/assets/get ... emid=78454


SkyHigher wrote:
Easier and faster commute from Southern NCR via CAVITEX? That planned road can only serve more on private vehicles than public ones.

Noticed how wide R10 is from the North Harbor to C4 in Navotas? If you zoom in on the Google map linked above, people would have to get to C3 and from there take the Harbor Link (now almost done) inland to NLEX (McArthur Hway is a no-go!) before going back southwest on their proposed ~8 km highway link to NMIA (compared to ~1 hour +/- via a coastal highway). A lot of people from southern NCR going to the proposed Bulakan gateway will likely be taking this route on private conveyances anyway absent another option...don't expect them to struggle among the crowds with all their luggage and boxes. Worse should an accident block NLEX. It's just a way for the proponent to backpedal from a statement they made regarding a bayfront expressway. And they're touting an exclusive express rail line to Balintawak without interconnecting with the planned NSCR stations :?:

SkyHigher wrote:
But yeah, I still oppose that proposal since it will have a huge environmental impact, displacing families, losing livelihood, etc.

The one with the biggest environmental impact is the proposed premier gateway itself. A new coastal highway will spur progress and employment among the seaside communities...the causeway the road will be built upon offshore would provide a protected shelter for the fisherfolk's boats and homes...and along its banks a place for mangrove to thrive again hopefully. I lived most of my life there and can say with conviction that the livelihood they say would be lost had long since largely gone. Fishermen have to venture far out into the open sea to land a meaningful catch.


SkyHigher wrote:
The engineers and architects that San Miguel and ICN Int'l Airport Corp. will be hiring will do their job on how will NMIA function without trouble. The land in Bulakan, Bulacan where the airport will be built is a marsh land and full of fish pens so stabilization of land by reclamation is what the engineers will be dealing within the construction period.

The less than smooth transition I was referring to has more to do with political and economic uncertainties.


SkyHigher wrote:
Yes, test flights will probably begin with smaller planes up to the biggest ones for proving flights. But on target 2024 or 2026 opening, expect that a large commercial airline will be the first to land in the new airport and not bizjets or regional jets.

The aircraft I was alluding to is one the Air Force said would be delivered for their Horizon 2 program. The regional jet I envisioned from the blog saying A221s would be allowed at SGL...which could be something along this configuration..... :bigthumbsup: .....

Image
https://content.delta.com/content/www/u ... top-fa.jpg

Rows 1-3 could be redesigned as a forward lounge...then behind it (10-14) 5-rows of the same seats and pitch at 4-abreast...next (15-17) are the mid-cabin lav and closets...rows 18-22 can be converted to dining/conference area...23-25 as private office...26-29 aft including the galley will be the stateroom/ensuite lav and shower. :cloudnine:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:49 pm

Wow the new artist rendition of the new manila airport is gorgeous!!!
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm

New Manila International Airport
Make this happen!

https://youtu.be/IiUVq6HGAUo
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 pm

And now for the big reveal :!: ...... :wideeyed: .....

https://business.inquirer.net/276380/sa ... an-airport
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
N667US
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:11 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Delta will be closing down their NRT hub, cutting NRT-MNL and SIN-MNL. Luckily, MNL will still be served by Delta through ICN instead.
DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL

I'm surprised that DL decided to keep MNL and cut SIN. I thought the opposite would happen. Does Delta have fifth freedom flights in South Korea like they do in Japan, or will it be similar to KLM's AMS-TPE-MNL / Ethiopian's ADD-HKG-MNL?


Saw this at Makati awhile ago. Two "wang-wang" motorcycle riders in neon jumpsuits with AA logo on the back, followed by an American SUV with blue-red lights on the dash. I wonder if it's related to next week's additional announcements by AA? ;)
Updated: American Airlines Increases International Presence, Makes First Entrance Into Africa

Image
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:55 pm

N667US wrote:
I wonder if it's related to next week's additional announcements by AA? ;)

AA announcing nonstop 789 SEA-MNL-SEA service to the NMIA above when it opens :?: :rotfl:

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:28 am

Found a clearer image online...the landmass silhouette in the distance does not seem to be as I remember it..... :scratchchin: .....

Image
https://business.inquirer.net/files/201 ... 20x310.jpg

Just the same, maybe they ought to raise the airfield at least 4 meters above the existing grade line. Have yet to find the front elevation..... :cheerful: .....



US DHS lifts security travel notice on NAIA.....

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019 ... conditions


Perhaps we would see this there after the redevelopment..... :spin: .....


https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... port-rehab



Balikbayans can even shop for pasalubong now at the new Duty Free supermarket in T3..... :present: .....

https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/trav ... ens-naia-3



Meanwhile...the Skyway Stage 3 might be finished in time with the completion of CRK T2..... :crossfingers: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAk8KrFfNA
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
Philippine747
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:08 pm

N667US wrote:
Delta will be closing down their NRT hub, cutting NRT-MNL and SIN-MNL. Luckily, MNL will still be served by Delta through ICN instead.
DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL


It might just be a tag-on to another route to the States, just like DL180/181, which is a tag-on to NRT-HNL. With the 767s probably going back stateside once the NRT hub falls, I wonder what DL would send in its place... maybe the A339 ;)

Devilfish wrote:
PAL aims to be lean and profitable with ANA/Lufthansa's help.....

https://business.inquirer.net/276152/pa ... ey-in-2020


“There are a lot of inefficiencies there. Maybe we will start doing synergies, maybe outsourcing, maybe beef up the IT department,” Tan said.


Hopefully they'll fix the online front end, which has some weird quirks and is the source of most complaints I see on social media. For example, A321neos show up as A321ceos and MM retroactive crediting is broken, and the mobile app is broken despite many updates. One time, I booked a CGY-MNL trip and it showed I had requested a seafood meal in Economy when I didn't even touch the special request section... and they don't serve meals on that route unless I was in Business. Sadly, no seafood meal was served :P
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:00 am

The Inquirer published the photo in question..... :camera: .....

Image
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/201 ... irport.jpg

I wonder if there would still be operators of the A380 in the foreground when this gateway opens :?:



Philippine747 wrote:
With the 767s probably going back stateside once the NRT hub falls, I wonder what DL would send in its place... maybe the A339 ;)

Not to worry...5J will be there to pick up the slack.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... utes-clark

Quote:
"To support the company’s year-end goal, Cebu Pacific is expanding its footprint in North and Central Luzon as it inaugurated yesterday operation of three new flights from the Clark International Airport, namely to Bacolod, Iloilo and Narita, Japan.

Flights from Clark to Bacolod and Iloilo run daily, while direct service to and from Narita is scheduled four times weekly (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday)."



Philippine747 wrote:
Hopefully they'll fix the online front end, which has some weird quirks and is the source of most complaints I see on social media.

Yes...that would discourage people from flying with them.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:44 am

Devilfish wrote:
The Inquirer published the photo in question..... :camera: .....

Image
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/201 ... irport.jpg

I wonder if there would still be operators of the A380 in the foreground when this gateway opens :?:


Then EK could be one of them since they are keen on bringing A380 to the Philippines someday on a regular basis, back when they bring A6-EEY(?) in MNL in 2014 in line with their recent transfer in Terminal 3 at that time and flown by a Filipino.
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Arianespace claims this isn't actually the final render. This is just a red herring.

I just hope we don't get MPH'ed again by San Miguel and friends.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 am

SkyHigher wrote:
Then EK could be one of them since they are keen on bringing A380 to the Philippines someday on a regular basis, back when they bring A6-EEY(?) in MNL

That was when they wanted to dump capacity into the country. Now, EK is retiring their A380s and has cancelled its order for more. BTW, that looks like an elevated roadway running around the perimeter of the airport at the outer edges. Might it connect to a future coastal highway? :scratchchin:


idp5601 wrote:
Arianespace claims this isn't actually the final render. This is just a red herring.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the SMesque rendering making the rounds earlier turned out to be the actual terminal design in the end? :lol: Just par for the course where they're concerned...given Caticlan and the other Manila bay area scheme. However, the joke is on us :!: RSA is fond of the shock and awe approach. Admittedly, I was duly shocked by the grandeur of their proposal. :shock: I now wait to be properly awed by their execution and completion of the project! :o


idp5601 wrote:
I just hope we don't get MPH'ed again by San Miguel and friends.

I give them the benefit of doubt...that prime gateway is sorely needed. As it is, only a single runway is visible on the rendering...though it could be reasoned that the parallel runway ends are staggered and there isn't enough space on the sheet (errr, flash drive). Also, a single, main runway couldn't possibly handle all the aircraft that would be using those numerous gates. I wonder how SMC/Incheon would phase the project... could it be the lateral concourses and the central core first...followed by the diagonal rays and finally the twin, double loaded concourse in the foreground -- as traffic (and financing) demands increase :?: :?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 am

Some very interesting news from Arianespace:

Air Asia X Coming to Philippine Subsidiary

14 August 2019

Low-cost carrier AirAsia (PAA) intends to make its Philippine unit the biggest carrier as it makes plan to relocate to a new home in Bulacan.

AirAsia Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Tony Fernandes said they are planning to aggressively increase their market share in the Philippines to take advantage of the infrastructure ramp-up being made in the country.

The statement was made during AirAsia Asean Day celebrations in Bangkok last week.

“I just had a meeting and for this year the Philippines and Indonesia will be our two biggest growth stories and we will add as many as we can,” Fernandes said.

AirAsia currently holds an 18-percent market share in the country’s commercial aviation industry.

Fernandes said he is “proud” of and “amazed” by AirAsia Philippines’s growth, recounting that AirAsia had a “baptism of fire” while putting up their segment here in the country due to stringent competition with other budget airlines.

Asked how he is going to grow AirAsia to get a larger share of the pie in terms of flights and passengers, Fernandes replied, “Well, add more planes.”

He said they are on track to more than doubling their current fleet of 23 planes to 50 in three to four years’ time, with seven planes in the pipeline amounting to an investment of around $350 million.

AirAsia Philippines CEO Ricardo “Ricky” Isla said they are adding new planes in Cebu, Kalibo and Clark hubs as they are “determined” to increase AirAsia’s market share in the Philippines.

“The biggest addition will come from our Manila hub as we bring in the wide bodies.” says Isla

“The second quarter of this year was a record-breaking year of 2.2 million passengers, and that 2.2 million is something like a 25-percent growth from last year. That alone is an indication that we are really determined to get more market share,” Isla said.

“The moment we get all the slots in the airport we can accommodate more aircraft that will give us more destinations”, says Isla.

Right now, we can only add capacity but cannot add more flights in Manila because slots in NAIA are already full, so we need a new Manila airport that has plenty of open slots. We will surely increase our market share very, very soon,” he said.


Also, the article title mentions AirAsia planning on moving to the new Bulacan Airport once it opens, which I'm assuming is insider information considering that it's not mentioned in the article.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:21 pm

idp5601 wrote:
Also, the article title mentions AirAsia planning on moving to the new Bulacan Airport once it opens, which I'm assuming is insider information considering that it's not mentioned in the article.

It was...right in the first sentence...but most probably not referring to the parent airline.....

Quote:
"Low-cost carrier AirAsia (PAA) intends to make its Philippine unit the biggest carrier as it makes plan to relocate to a new home in Bulacan."


SMHC is subtly putting pressure on other carriers to also opt to operate from their yet-to-be-built NMIA by giving AK first dibs on space and slots there. This line is very interesting...may stir stiff competition among the current players..... :spin: .....

"The biggest addition will come from our Manila hub as we bring in the wide bodies." says Isla.


I guess by 'Manila' he meant NMIA...and assume we can we expect to see a few of AirAsia's A339 order in PQ livery :?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZV46iyxiA



As SMC was formally issued the Notice of Award, they announced soliciting the services of renowned firms to design and build the NMIA in Bulakan.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... an-airport

Definitely exciting to see the final result should those indeed get to undertake the poject! :goodvibes:


These come amid opposition from some groups.....

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1154280/e ... eclamation




Meanwhile, PAL's new president is faced with a big challenge..... :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

https://business.inquirer.net/276822/pal-losses-up-138
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 pm

I wonder,why they tap atlanta and paris' charles de gaulle airport builders.we all know, that they build the ugliest airports.lol
They should stay with incheon and singapore...
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm

I hope not Air Asia.Philippine Airlines should dominate that airport.it should not be like Kuala Lumpur international airport
Sorry AirAsia,thats a HUB for PAL!
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Edit: ADPi (Paris) is one of the architects of Daxing Beijing Airport.i was wrong...

www.adp-i.com
 
Philippine747
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:59 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
I hope not Air Asia.Philippine Airlines should dominate that airport.it should not be like Kuala Lumpur international airport
Sorry AirAsia,thats a HUB for PAL!


Well if MNL sticks with a two airport solution and PR remains at NAIA, they can use it to their advantage as it's closer to Metro Manila....
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Devilfish wrote:
idp5601 wrote:
Also, the article title mentions AirAsia planning on moving to the new Bulacan Airport once it opens, which I'm assuming is insider information considering that it's not mentioned in the article.

It was...right in the first sentence...but most probably not referring to the parent airline.....

Quote:
"Low-cost carrier AirAsia (PAA) intends to make its Philippine unit the biggest carrier as it makes plan to relocate to a new home in Bulacan."


Haha whoops totally missed that part
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Analysis/insider information from Arianespace RE: airports in Metro Manila:

It now depends on the persuasive power of RSA. If you think about it, PAL is part of the NAIA Consortium which intends to raise capacity 20 million more for another 15 years. It would get additional capacity in 3 years time in NAIA assuming construction starts next year. It has interest to stay in MNL. Not at other airport.

There is also this DOTR memo that would transform NAIA into a pure legacy airport similar to LHR, HND, and JFK in the future once a new Manila airport opens, and the LCC operators are made aware of this plan this early to make some arrangements. They will be eased out of NAIA eventually to make way for more legacy flights.

They already implemented Sangley for Turboprop and Genav traffic.

True enough, CEB is slowly building up Clark as one of its investor together with Scoot, while AirAsia is confirmed to be talking to SMC for minority stake in Bulacan.

But wait, there is more. Another Oz-based airline operating out of Singapore is also wanting a minority stake in Bulacan. Both are jockeying positions to be its anchor tenant. Only one will be selected. Their financial investments will go to Terminal infrastructure. So whoever wins already guarantee traffic for this airport. Mind you they are all looking at North America. Apparently, they have one word for it. Synergy.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:36 pm

PQ is already preparing the groundwork...taking advantage of 5J's withdrawal from the route.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... -guam.html

Quote:
"Low Cost Carrier Philippine AirAsia PAA) has sought permission from the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) to fly to the United States.

The airline requested for a designation and allocation of entitlements under the Philippines-United States of America Air Transport Agreement. It also asked the CAB to revoke the designation of Air Philippines as the official carrier to the US.

CAB Executive Director Camerlo Arcilla said the designation will allow PAA to fly to US territories."



idp5601 wrote:
They already implemented Sangley for Turboprop and Genav traffic.

In connection with which 5J reiterated its commitment to start cargo operations at SGL ASAP.....

Image

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... go-flights

Quote:
"Lao said operation of the first freighter would commence on Sept. 4, initially flying out of Manila to domestic trunk routes to and from Mindanao, while awaiting the completion of the Sangley airport.

'Cebu Pacific fully supports the opening of Sangley and it is worthwhile to note that many of our cargo customers have provided positive feedback in shifting their shipments to Sangley. Cebu Pacific will start cargo freighter operations in Sangley as soon as possible,' he said."




CRK T2 photo updates from the turnover to the concessionaire..... :camera: .....

https://business.inquirer.net/276956/cl ... glomerates


source: @DOTr | FB

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DE39E32

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DD1088C

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E116E0C

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E14DC01
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 am

A few more CRK T2 photos from @DOTrPH | FB page..... :camera: .....


Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E153EB1

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DDE4793

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DE50E56

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DE21800

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DCFE0CF

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E155E28



The following graphic from https://www.facebook.com/nmiamnl shows the planned Shoreline Expressway is still the shortest distance from NAIA to the proposed NMIA. However, the Skyway Stage 3 connection to Balintawak was omitted...the Harbor Link to the coastal highway was shown instead but not its extension to Macarthur Highway/NLEX. :arrow:

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DD4CECD
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
SleeplessInZh
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Same name: NMIA (Navi Mumbai International Airport) in Bombay/Mumbai

It should be called Bulacan-Manila International Airport (BMIA,not yet used)
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:48 am

Devilfish wrote:
The following graphic from https://www.facebook.com/nmiamnl shows the planned Shoreline Expressway is still the shortest distance from NAIA to the proposed NMIA. However, the Skyway Stage 3 connection to Balintawak was omitted...the Harbor Link to the coastal highway was shown instead but not its extension to Macarthur Highway/NLEX. :arrow:

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DD4CECD


That's a fan-made graphic tho'. BTW, this is the official NMIA airport page managed by San Miguel.
https://www.facebook.com/nmiaph/
 
SkyHigher
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 am

Devilfish wrote:
The following graphic from https://www.facebook.com/nmiamnl shows the planned Shoreline Expressway is still the shortest distance from NAIA to the proposed NMIA. However, the Skyway Stage 3 connection to Balintawak was omitted...the Harbor Link to the coastal highway was shown instead but not its extension to Macarthur Highway/NLEX. :arrow:

Image
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5DD4CECD


That's a fan-made graphic tho'. BTW, this is the official NMIA airport page managed by San Miguel.
https://www.facebook.com/nmiaph/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos