Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Philippine747

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:03 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Im starting to believe that PAL dont need to be in an Alliance.
They don't need it.
They are free now.
And i say this because of the uprising philippine aviation after 2025.

Frankly, Mabuhay Miles status is near useless outside of PR (with the exception of a few codeshare routes where benefits are extended). In a way, joining an alliance would be an incentive to MM members to keep flying with PR to build status. Members of other airlines would have more reasons to fly PR as their FF benefits would still be extended to them.

Jefford717 wrote:
LAX-MNL to 17x weekly? Will they be using their 77W with 370 seats on all flights? If yes, that’s 6,290 seats one-way. I’m still surprised why none of the US3 want a slice of the pie. 6,290 seats seems way too much monopoly for Pal for this particular LAX-MNL route. BR, CI, CX and many others offers one-stop service with cheaper and better experience than PR In my opinion, but knowing that the industry is heading towards point-to-point service I’m still surprised why none of the US3 would dare to break the nonstop monopoly PR has been enjoying for years if not decades.

The advantage that PR has is the domestic connections... they have a good local feed. Problem is on the US end, their feed beyond the West Coast isn't that good but they make up for it by serving a large Filipino market as well as cargo.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

Devilfish

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:31 pm

The trial run for the upgraded Sangley Airport is set to begin..... :hyper: .....

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/re ... um=Twitter

From the DOTr social media director's FB page, the completed works are as follows:.....

Quote:
"As of today, completed works include the asphalt overlay and clearing of end of the runway, reblocking of concrete pavement, installation of two pumps including the drainage system, construction of ramp, and site development with Portland Cement Concrete Pavement (PCCP), landscaping and streetlight installations, as well as the construction of access road, installation of CCTV Surveillance System, counter, weighing conveyor, Meteorological equipment setup, and mobilization of two modern fire trucks.

Remaining works include the installation of the flight information system, which is for completion today, the painting of parking bay markings for the ramp to be finished tomorrow, and finishing works for the two units hangar, power house, and cistern tank. On Friday, October 25, installation of Precision Approach Path Indicator (PAPI Lights) will also be completed, while the Pre-departure lounge will be outfitted with new 4-gang (sic) passenger-friendly chairs."

Several photos accompany the FB post but the pontoon dock for the ferry is most interesting. It appears that they somehow convinced the military to allow it inside the bay on the leeward side. Anyway, the dry run could be more realistic if the All Saints Day crowd were to descend on Sangley! :crowded: "Nangangaluluwa lang po" :!: :ghost:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Devilfish

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:45 pm

Picking up from #131 on p.3 --- It seems the effort to resume commercial air service to BAG is gathering steam..... :airplane: .....

https://www.philstar.com/nation/2019/10 ... an-airport

Quote:
"Mayor Benjamin Magalong said that PAL Express has already purchased five airplanes that could fly in and out of Loakan airport while Cebu Pacific has also signified its intention of opening a Cebu-Baguio-Cebu route.

SMC's Ang, aside from expressing interest in building an elevated highway around Baguio City, reportedly told Magalong that he is interested in operating and managing the Loakan Airport."

Potential new direct destinations should the route succeed..... :crossfingers: .....

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=BAG-CEB/CR ... /WNP&DU=nm

I wonder if 2P is sticking with PAL's existing Q300/Q400s while PR gets another rumored batch of new-build Q400NGs from the aircraft's new type certificate owner? :scratchchin:

5J would likely launch it with their newish ATR72-600s as the recently announced ATR42-600S may not be as cost-efficient given the limited capacity and might not be readily available. :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

http://www.atraircraft.com/newsroom/new ... s-_64.html

Devilfish

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:37 pm

It would be exciting and of great service however, to have regular air service to BAG again..... :cheerful: .....

Meanwhile, the revised NAIA Consortium proposal for the upgrade and operation of NAIA is being reviewed anew (for the nth time)..... :spin:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... ort-offers

AB330

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 am

Devilfish

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 pm

AB330 wrote:
Well that was quick!

Uh-ooh...it may not augur well for the airline in general..... :o .....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... dings.html

Quote:
"The reason for his replacement was not disclosed. Sta Maria merely cited 'personal reasons' for his departure from the holdings company. Inside information however disclosed his non-conformity with the present set up between PAL and its low cost subsidiary GAP.

PAL President Gilbert Santa Maria intends to implement his turnaround plan for the airline beginning this coming year 2020, PAL said in a statement addressed to the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)."

Could it be related to the above rumored acquisition of five additional planes for 2P :?:

In other news...the dry run for SGL operations seems to have gone well. According to the blog, SGL would control ground traffic there, while MNL tower would handle aircraft approach..... :airplane:

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... opens.html :smile:

https://scontent-hkg3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E5418F5

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIA9LfxU0AAMrII.jpg:large

https://scontent.fmnl6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5E17267A

https://scontent.fmnl6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5E5193BA

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i6biIwjjiag/ ... G%2529.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIAyFCOUYAAvH7i.jpg

photo source: @DOTr | FB
https://scontent.fmnl10-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5E64F6B4

https://scontent.fmnl10-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5E59242D

Devilfish

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Dry run video here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfY-Y7LO5TQ

It would have been quite informative to see a complete video showing passenger access from the boat dock to the air terminal (or at least the access path distance).

Devilfish

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 am

A piece of exciting information from SkyscraperCity --- supposedly from Ayala's August 2019 investor presentation. Bring it on :!: :bigthumbsup: .....

https://i.imgur.com/TOID68Y.jpg

posted by: @wakeuptoreality

filipinoavgeek

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:02 am

The anti-NAIA talk over at SkyscraperCity is getting really tiring. They're really insisting on NAIA being closed down and even saying that (to paraphrase) they want to "end the Aquino name". Regardless of your political leanings (and I'm not trying to be political here), but I can't help but wonder if the negative opinions on SSC about NAIA have more to do with the Aquino name than the airport itself. I actually wonder if they'd still have the same feelings if the airport was renamed back to simply MIA, or if it had never been renamed at all. And somehow, again not trying to be political, but I have the strange feeling that many of the most vocal people there about the name "Ninoy Aquino International Airport" would not object to, or even support, if for example there were proposals to rename Laoag's airport as "Ferdinand Marcos International Airport", reverting Clark's name back to "Diosdado Macapagal International Airport", or even renaming Francisco Bangoy International Airport to "Rodrigo Duterte International Airport".

AB330 wrote:

He's still with the company as President and CEO of PAL itself, the only position he lost was as CEO of PAL Holdings (which is PAL's mother company).

LurveBus

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:13 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
The anti-NAIA talk over at SkyscraperCity is getting really tiring. They're really insisting on NAIA being closed down and even saying that (to paraphrase) they want to "end the Aquino name". Regardless of your political leanings (and I'm not trying to be political here), but I can't help but wonder if the negative opinions on SSC about NAIA have more to do with the Aquino name than the airport itself. I actually wonder if they'd still have the same feelings if the airport was renamed back to simply MIA, or if it had never been renamed at all. And somehow, again not trying to be political, but I have the strange feeling that many of the most vocal people there about the name "Ninoy Aquino International Airport" would not object to, or even support, if for example there were proposals to rename Laoag's airport as "Ferdinand Marcos International Airport", reverting Clark's name back to "Diosdado Macapagal International Airport", or even renaming Francisco Bangoy International Airport to "Rodrigo Duterte International Airport".

AB330 wrote:

He's still with the company as President and CEO of PAL itself, the only position he lost was as CEO of PAL Holdings (which is PAL's mother company).

Not sure how it’s appropriate to be ranting about discussions on another forum.

And what does it mean to be pro-NAIA anyway? To advocate having an inefficient airport with an inefficient terminal layout right smack in the middle of a city with no greenery? MNL airport cannot be saved, especially if the traffic can be handled by Sangley, Clark, Bulacan, and even Subic.

The window for improving MNL is closed. Expropriating a new runway is so expensive it’s easier to reclaim in sangley or build a train to Clark/Bulacan. Making a third runway in the water will run into issues given that high-rise developments around Manila will block most approaches.

Yeetus787

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:40 am

LurveBus wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

AB330 wrote:

And what does it mean to be pro-NAIA anyway? To advocate having an inefficient airport with an inefficient terminal layout right smack in the middle of a city with no greenery? MNL airport cannot be saved, especially if the traffic can be handled by Sangley, Clark, Bulacan, and even Subic.

The window for improving MNL is closed. Expropriating a new runway is so expensive it’s easier to reclaim in sangley or build a train to Clark/Bulacan. Making a third runway in the water will run into issues given that high-rise developments around Manila will block most approaches.

Well, what's important in this regard is the decision of the current and succeeding governments. But whatever the outcome there's the JICA reccomendation for building a central park over NAIA by the 2030s.

ANyway, I just hope they preserve Terminal 1 as it is the work of a nat'l artist.

Devilfish

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:43 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
They're really insisting on NAIA being closed down and even saying that (to paraphrase) they want to "end the Aquino name".

Also to paraphrase..."What's in a name? MIA, by any other name, will still be congested if nothing is done about it."

filipinoavgeek wrote:
And somehow, again not trying to be political, but I have the strange feeling that many of the most vocal people there about the name "Ninoy Aquino International Airport" would not object to, or even support, if for example there were proposals to rename Laoag's airport as "Ferdinand Marcos International Airport", reverting Clark's name back to "Diosdado Macapagal International Airport", or even renaming Francisco Bangoy International Airport to "Rodrigo Duterte International Airport".

You don't have to fry SSC. One only needs to go to the Batasan or Senate to see what elected officials are cooking up.

LurveBus wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

LurveBus wrote:

I beg to differ. The redevelopment scheme presented above shows how the capacity and efficiency of NAIA can be vastly improved by diligent, thoroughly thought out solutions (not least of which the NATS study to increase safety and ATM/hr there.) Functional and convenient transiting facilities are the primary purposes of an airport, not providing greenery for its surroundings (well and good if they could accomplish all those at once!) There is substantial life left in the lady yet...and much benefit can be derived in not having to move urban population (at great costs, mind) to the outskirts just to fly...least of all to Subic! :old:

LurveBus

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Devilfish wrote:

I beg to differ. The redevelopment scheme presented above shows how the capacity and efficiency of NAIA can be vastly improved by diligent, thoroughly thought out solutions (not least of which the NATS study to increase safety and ATM/hr there.) Functional and convenient transiting facilities are the primary purposes of an airport, not providing greenery for its surroundings (well and good if they could accomplish all those at once!) There is substantial life left in the lady yet...and much benefit can be derived in not having to move urban population (at great costs, mind) to the outskirts just to fly...least of all to Subic! :old:

The NAIA aerodrome is the only remaining open space left in a megalopolis without major parks. And it is right smack in the middle of the city. We already demolished much of Nayong Pilipino to make way for developments in T2. And any further terminal expansion means destroying what little green there is left. Trees should not be a luxury for the 13 million people in Metro Manila. Not to mention that flooding isn’t getting any better. Moving the traffic out to Bulacan/Sangley/Clark is the only sustainable option.

Sangley and Bulacan in particular are still within the proper distance from city to airport. Sangley’s dry run showed that you can get from MOA to Sangley in less than 20 Minutes on a fast craft. You cannot get from MOA to NAIA in 20 Minutes in regular traffic, even with the NAIA expressway. Not to mention that NAIA is only accessible by car, and Clark will probably have a train station before the subway even gets to NAIA.

I used to be an advocate of keeping NAIA open. But that was in a different era, when the opening of T3 would’ve spelt overcapacity for the traffic at the time, and that was also before the green spaces in Manila were eaten up by greedy developers. Climate change isn’t getting better, and the new normal for temperatures in Manila have risen significantly; gone are the days when Christmastime came with cooler temperatures. There is a need to recalibrate the infrastructure of the city given new realities. The status quo is simply unsustainable.

filipinoavgeek

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm

LurveBus wrote:
Devilfish wrote:

The NAIA aerodrome is the only remaining open space left in a megalopolis without major parks. And it is right smack in the middle of the city. We already demolished much of Nayong Pilipino to make way for developments in T2. And any further terminal expansion means destroying what little green there is left. Trees should not be a luxury for the 13 million people in Metro Manila. Not to mention that flooding isn’t getting any better. Moving the traffic out to Bulacan/Sangley/Clark is the only sustainable option.

Sangley and Bulacan in particular are still within the proper distance from city to airport. Sangley’s dry run showed that you can get from MOA to Sangley in less than 20 Minutes on a fast craft. You cannot get from MOA to NAIA in 20 Minutes in regular traffic, even with the NAIA expressway. Not to mention that NAIA is only accessible by car, and Clark will probably have a train station before the subway even gets to NAIA.

I used to be an advocate of keeping NAIA open. But that was in a different era, when the opening of T3 would’ve spelt overcapacity for the traffic at the time, and that was also before the green spaces in Manila were eaten up by greedy developers. Climate change isn’t getting better, and the new normal for temperatures in Manila have risen significantly; gone are the days when Christmastime came with cooler temperatures. There is a need to recalibrate the infrastructure of the city given new realities. The status quo is simply unsustainable.

Realistically though I can only see NAIA being closed down at least in the short-to-medium term if Sangley is fully developed (as opposed to the current stop-gap solution), which may not happen if Bulacan (which is more out-of-the-way) pushes through instead. Clark is just too far to be the primary airport for a capital (as Narita can attest, and that's even nearer to Tokyo than Clark is to Manila) and it has its own catchment area of Central Luzon + New Clark City. And in-city airports are not unheard of and have frequently co-existed with more out-there airports (like London City vs. Heathrow/Gatwick, Toronto Billy Bishop vs. Toronto Pearson, Milan Linate vs. Milan Malpensa. or even Jakarta Halim vs. Soekarno-Hatta) and tend to have their own niches (such as business traffic). And the issues of traffic and other things can be down without necessarily closing down NAIA: if 50% or more of its flights are moved elsewhere, with NAIA being limited to domestic and/or premium flights, that will already help a lot in decongesting the area.

And while ideally we'd really like to have more parks, it's not like Manila doesn't have them: there are already places with lots of greeneries such as the La Mesa Watershed, the UP and Ateneo campuses, or some of the areas around the Quezon Memorial Circle. And even if NAIA were to close down and be redeveloped, knowing our corporations and even the companies behind the proposed rehab, it would more likely be redeveloped into another CBD than a central park.

Yeetus787

Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:41 am

LurveBus wrote:

W/ all due respect, I don't think "probably" is the right word. More like "absolutely".

LurveBus wrote:

I personally advocate the retention of NAIA (at least until the 2030s as per JICA), but whether NAIA is open or closed, I'm fine as long as they retain Terminal 1.

Now to go off topic for a bit

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ ... -next-year

Devilfish

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:44 pm

LurveBus wrote:

And being an airport is the best assurance of NAIA remaining an open space. The trees at Nayong Pilipino are only a small percentage of what could adequately sustain a community and could be planted elsewhere. The few which are left could be judiciously avoided by the terminal expansion and reflected on its landscaping plan. See what happened to the purported Nayong Pilipino replacement at the ASIAWORLD area? As you correctly pointed out, those developers are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...building up Bulakan and Sangley into international gateways are massive undertakings. And guess where the flooding problems would be most severe :?:

filipinoavgeek wrote:
And even if NAIA were to close down and be redeveloped, knowing our corporations and even the companies behind the proposed rehab, it would more likely be redeveloped into another CBD than a central park.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Yeetus787 wrote:
I personally advocate the retention of NAIA (at least until the 2030s as per JICA), but whether NAIA is open or closed, I'm fine as long as they retain Terminal 1.

A caveat here :alert: ...JICA analyses and recommendations usually point to projects whose billion-dollar loan proceeds dictate those be awarded to a select short-list of contractors. As to Terminal 1...despite its age and shortcomings, that is still one of the local massive buildings with the most graceful, sweeping lines..... :point:

https://enacademic.com/pictures/enwiki/ ... mina-1.jpg

Yeetus787 wrote:
Now to go off topic for a bit

It seems somebody had drawn a little inspiration from this..... :wideeyed: .....

https://www.klia2.info/images/kota-kina ... banner.jpg

Yeetus787

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 am

Devilfish wrote:

Yeetus787 wrote:

A caveat here :alert: ...JICA analyses and recommendations usually point to projects whose billion-dollar loan proceeds dictate those be awarded to a select short-list of contractors.

I see.

Devilfish wrote:
As to Terminal 1...despite its age and shortcomings, that is still one of the local massive buildings with the most graceful, sweeping lines..... :point:

Agreed. Nothing less from Leandro Locsin.

SkyHigher

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:00 am

Devilfish wrote:
LurveBus wrote:

And being an airport is the best assurance of NAIA remaining an open space. The trees at Nayong Pilipino are only a small percentage of what could adequately sustain a community and could be planted elsewhere. The few which are left could be judiciously avoided by the terminal expansion and reflected on its landscaping plan. See what happened to the purported Nayong Pilipino replacement at the ASIAWORLD area? As you correctly pointed out, those developers are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...building up Bulakan and Sangley into international gateways are massive undertakings. And guess where the flooding problems would be most severe :?:

Then why not move certain trees that were earthballed to give way for an infrastructure project to NAIA, that can withstand the heat in MNL, if ever it will be closed in favor of either SGL or NMIA? Those additional trees can complement the existing trees planted at the old Nayong Pilipino. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 can be reused as aviation museum, hotel or shopping mall but I prefer tearing them down despite being a waste.

Reclamation projects such as NMIA and proposed SGL Expansion blocks the water flowing from the mountains though engineers have the best solutoon
to avoid that.

SkyHigher

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Construction updates on CRK Terminal 2, as viewed from SCTEX.

Devilfish

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:46 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
Then why not move certain trees that were earthballed to give way for an infrastructure project to NAIA, that can withstand the heat in MNL, if ever it will be closed in favor of either SGL or NMIA? Those additional trees can complement the existing trees planted at the old Nayong Pilipino.

Nobody knows (at least not me) where those trees went...and the proponents were probably not keen on increasing the greenbelt area in case they got the chance to redevelop NAIA. Anyhow, photos from MCIA have shown that local species pretty much thrive easily when given the proper attention.

SkyHigher wrote:
Terminals 1, 2 and 3 can be reused as aviation museum, hotel or shopping mall but I prefer tearing them down despite being a waste.

Reclamation projects such as NMIA and proposed SGL Expansion blocks the water flowing from the mountains though engineers have the best solutoon to avoid that.

This line of thinking presupposes that the Philippines is a very rich country that can afford to just tear down anything willy-nilly and replace those easily afterwards...which cannot be farther from the truth. In the battle between man and nature, it's eventually nature who often wins...usually at great cost to humankind.

Anyway, it may not be unjustified to append "T & L" to this sign at T2's renovation works..... :wink2: .....

source: SkyscraperCity
https://66.media.tumblr.com/2bdb2cd93a0 ... 45af23.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6b7e49dd531 ... ced21f.jpg

photos posted by: @chestersim

Saw this in the LCY thread.....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ce-460454/

Quote:
" Such updates likely include new cockpit technologies and efficiency improvements, though De Havilland is also considering new variants including a 50-seater, the Toronto company's chief operating officer Todd Young tells FlightGlobal.

'The constant question coming back is, are you going to do something to replace the existing 50-seat turboprops?' says Young, who heads the company. 'The… Dash 8-400 is capable of being stretched. It's also capable of being shrunk. We are looking at all options."

Could be the ideal aircraft for the resumption of regular flights to Loakan. :airplane:

AB330

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 am

CEB has finalized its orders for 16 A330-900neo with Airbus.

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... 30neo.html

Part of the MOU during the Paris Air Show is the 5 A320neo and 10 A321XLR. Which I suspect will be firmed in the future.

Devilfish

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:16 pm

AB330 wrote:
CEB has finalized its orders for 16 A330-900neo with Airbus.

Flightglobal has the story too..... :crowded: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... nt-461967/

Quote:
"Cebu Pacific is set to receive the A330-900s in 2021, with the A321XLRs to be delivered from 2024. No timeline was provided for the A320neos.

As of press time, the carrier has yet to respond to Cirium's queries about the schedule for the A330neo deliveries and to clarify the status of the Airbus narrowbodies."

AB330 wrote:
Part of the MOU during the Paris Air Show is the 5 A320neo and 10 A321XLR. Which I suspect will be firmed in the future.

Perhaps 5J is mulling upsizing the A320Ns to the A321N? And given that their delivery target for the XLRs would start in 2024, they may have decided to firm up the lot closer to the delivery date.

Meanwhile.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... ed-flights

What if the delays are caused by the inability of airliners to land and take off due to congestion :?:

But a bit of good news.....

https://business.inquirer.net/282510/20 ... kes-effect

LRB40

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:32 am

Devilfish wrote:

What exactly are they constructing/renovating in T2. The old green areas have been boarded up since. Are they constructing offices/shops in that area or are they expanding T2's check in area forward into the pavement?

SkyHigher

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm

FedEx is back in the Philippines with CRK (not SFS) as its new Asian Hub, replacing CAN due to trade war of two super imperialists (US-China).

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/money/c ... voy/story/

This time, the FedEx operations in the Philippines is going to be bigger in scale, said Ambassador Jose Manuel Romualdez.

The first phase of operations in Clark, Pampanga will start in the 2nd quarter of 2020, while the long-term and bigger site will be completed in 2024. FedEx’s previously located in Subic Bay, Olongapo.

But yeah, FDX will still own 40% ownership due to stupid FDI restrictions (60/40) of the Constitution :|

Devilfish

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm

LRB40 wrote:
What exactly are they constructing/renovating in T2. The old green areas have been boarded up since. Are they constructing offices/shops in that area or are they expanding T2's check in area forward into the pavement?

I'm not sure about the extent of the scope of work for the NAIA Terminal 2 rehab project. Presumably, they're expanding the departure hall by taking over the security screening area that will be vacated by the move of international flights to Terminal 1, and maybe enlarging the baggage claim area too(?)...while renovating the spaces, ceilings and upgrading the utilities within. They might also be extending the roof over the open podium(?) to shelter it from the elements.....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... p0EbubVU&s

I'm guessing the front lawns were boarded up to secure the works being done there (drainage, plumbing, lighting, landscaping or water features, etc.)...and painting of the departure ramp soffit --- for the public's safety.....

https://files.pia.gov.ph/source/2019/02 ... 1984-n.jpg

Latest A321NX for 5J..... :crowded: .....

Devilfish

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:16 pm

It seems SIA could be SMC's new idol..... :stretch: .....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... stic-award

SkyHigher

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:17 am

Devilfish wrote:
It seems SIA could be SMC's new idol..... :stretch: .....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... stic-award

San Miguel's lodi (reverse of idol) is SIA? Could that be a hint that SIAEP might move to NMIA from CRK? Fingers crossed, lol.

Devilfish

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
San Miguel's lodi (reverse of idol) is SIA? Could that be a hint that SIAEP might move to NMIA from CRK? Fingers crossed, lol.

I was alluding to Sia's song given the wording of the report. The DOF/DOTr were portrayed as vacillating so SMC needed an elastic heart to deal with it. :stirthepot: I would have thought Gen Z's and millennials will be more "in tune" with my drift. :cheerful:

SkyHigher

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Devilfish wrote:
SkyHigher wrote:

I was alluding to Sia's song given the wording of the report. The DOF/DOTr were portrayed as vacillating so SMC needed an elastic heart to deal with it. :stirthepot: I would have thought Gen Z's and millennials will be more "in tune" with my drift. :cheerful:

My bad, I thought it's Singapore Airlines, lol.

Anyway the man behind Cebu Pacific, John Gokongwei, Jr. has passed away last night MNL time.

https://business.inquirer.net/283048/john-gokongwei-93

Devilfish

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:50 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
Anyway the man behind Cebu Pacific, John Gokongwei, Jr. has passed away last night MNL time.

:pray: May he rest in peace. The taipans' old guard are inevitably passing on into the sunset. :tombstone:

The new guard will have to take care of themselves.....

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019 ... e-collapse

Meanwhile, SMC just announced the opening of its Skyway Stage 3 to motorists by April 2020...a vital link to their NMIA project in Bulakan.....

https://www.philstar.com/nation/2019/11 ... april-2020

LRB40

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:26 am

Lucio "Bong" Tan Jr. has passed away. Condolences to the family.

This puts the airline's internal power struggle into further uncertainty.

https://twitter.com/PhilippineStar/stat ... 06848?s=20

SkyHigher

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:15 am

LRB40 wrote:

Perhaps, Vivienne will assume the permanent position as President of PAL Holdings left by her late brother. I wonder what will be PAL's business strategy for Vivienne Tan and Gilbert Sta. Maria that would be as successful as JJB?

VolvoBus

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:24 am

SkyHigher wrote:
LRB40 wrote:

Perhaps, Vivienne will assume the permanent position as President of PAL Holdings left by her late brother. I wonder what will be PAL's business strategy for Vivienne Tan and Gilbert Sta. Maria that would be as successful as JJB?

You have to wonder who vetoed Vivienne's last time. Logic would suggest that it was at LT Group level, which makes me think it was Lucio Sr. or another brother who my quick research at the time suggested is being groomed to take over from him. Interestingly, as Lucio Sr. isn't getting any younger, there does not seem to be a consensus as to how many children he has. Four is an accepted number, but two more have been mooted. When he dies, the succession battle could be interesting.

With the passing of the Gokongwei head, the potential for interesting events rises.

Devilfish

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm

LRB40 wrote:

Sadly, my caution above went for naught. :old: This is a huge blow on the frail El Kapitan.....

https://business.inquirer.net/283118/pa ... an-jr-dies

LRB40 wrote:

Maybe the airlines' new(ish) president would take on a bigger role in the company?

Devilfish

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm

A view of the conflicted state of Philippine aviation..... :? .....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... used-skies

And how PR Holdings's late president aimed to transform it...particularly as it related to PAL....

https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/fash ... hers-dream

Quote:
"As vice chairman of PAL, what are your dreams and vision for the airline?

'First of all, to get PAL out of the red. And to continue my dad’s legacy, to preserve our flag carrier. When Dad took over PAL, there were 17,000 employees. We have streamlined that to 4,000 plus employees which are just right, even if we now have three times more planes.'

When will a five-star status happen for PAL?

First we need an expanded airport, and thankfully the conglomerate (Lucio Tan, Andrew Tan, Gokongwei, Gotianum, Zobel, Aboitiz and Manny Pangilinan) is masterplanning it, so yes, it will happen!

We will need government support. There are 11 five-star airlines(sic) in the world, and all of them are government-subsidized, or helped by their governments when the airlines need help with problems.

Then we have tourism industry problems — peace and order, business opportunities, lack of infrastructure, which can provide convenience to tourists, mainly a good airport which will provide a good first impression for tourists. We also have our traffic problem. An airline is only as good as its destination.

Our expanded airport may take five years, but in two years you will see the difference, especially in the runways."

Hopefully, those left behind would see to it that the goals are carried out expeditiously. :crossfingers:

SleeplessInZh

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 pm

No wonder why PAL is always in the RED...because those foreign tourist vloggers always fly with air asia or cebpac all the time!
Its like 'indirect commercial'

J343

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 pm

SleeplessInZh wrote:
No wonder why PAL is always in the RED...because those foreign tourist vloggers always fly with air asia or cebpac all the time!

Then perhaps you should twll those tourist vloggers to stop flying Air Asia or Cebu Pacific? I've flown PAL once and never went back. That is my choice and same goes with those tourist vloggers. If they want to fly with other airlines then leave them be. I choose to fly with BA withing Europe and AA to N.America and CX to Asia and I stick with them regardless of price. PAL being always in the red does not fall down to those tourist vloggers choosing to fly Air Asia or Cebu Pacific.

Devilfish

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 pm

SleeplessInZh

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Emirates quit the A339neo orders.the A339 and -8s are just enough to replace the older A330s.thats it.
but it will never be as good enough to replace the A359 or B787-9s.the A338s for PAL is not a good idea for LAX,SF routes.Seattle is maybe for PAL the only A338 route,but its not a 'priority' route.Chicago wil come first.the family of the A330s are Unpopular.
the A359s can be used for +16 h or -16h if we talk about flexibility.PAL need more A350s.sorry devilfish.
But we all dont know how they plan,and all are secret like area 51 bhahaha

SleeplessInZh

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:13 pm

J343 wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:

Then perhaps you should twll those tourist vloggers to stop flying Air Asia or Cebu Pacific? I've flown PAL once and never went back. That is my choice and same goes with those tourist vloggers. If they want to fly with other airlines then leave them be. I choose to fly with BA withing Europe and AA to N.America and CX to Asia and I stick with them regardless of price. eyPAL being always in the red does not fall down to those tourist vloggers choosing to fly Air Asia or Cebu Pacific.

Observe more.then judge.why do vloggers refuse to fly PAL and then instead fly with air asia? Its because of money.they all do it,and i don't blame them at all.but it surely do nothing for PAL.
Speaking about 'indirect commercial'
Backpackers fly with Air Asia and Cebpac,because they saw a Video from a Vlogger.its all about the Pricetag!!
However,airlines CAN generate money because of social medias

Devilfish

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
but it will never be as good enough to replace the A359 or B787-9s.the A338s for PAL is not a good idea for LAX,SF routes.Seattle is maybe for PAL the only A338 route,but its not a 'priority' route.Chicago wil come first.

That is why the A338 is much cheaper than both. I see the A338 as a good fit for CEB-LAX and MNL-SEA. SFO is well covered by the 77Ws. I doubt ORD would be prioritized, especially as a nonstop...though I can see it working as a tag-on to YVR in lieu of the now nonstop JFK.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-AKL/AT ... /LAX&DU=nm

SleeplessInZh wrote:
the family of the A330s are Unpopular. the A359s can be used for +16 h or -16h if we talk about flexibility. PAL need more A350s.

Linked above is a Great Circle map with potential routes showing the versatility of the 251T A338. It's not a question of popularity...but which aircraft could do the mission well that would cost PR the least and earn them the most money. And it's not always the biggest, shiniest gear in the toolbox. How could they afford more A350s now? As pointed out above, those vloggers are not to blame for PAL's losses. Have you considered that those new planes could be contributing to PR's present woes? From the Flightglobal report.....

Quote:
"Higher maintenance costs from the delivery of additional aircraft, and increased reservation and sales costs sent expenses up by 2.1% to Ps117 billion."

Paying higher amortization or lease rates, insurance, overflight and landing charges for aircraft you cannot fill may defeat the purpose of acquiring those in the first place. Witness PR's misgivings about LHR.

SleeplessInZh wrote:
sorry devilfish. But we all dont know how they plan,and all are secret like area 51 bhahaha

No need to be sorry. Indeed we do not know their plans. For all we know, Airbus could simply decide to mothball the A338N for lack of customers. :white:

Meanwhile, here's a news video update on the status of CRK and the various sports facilities around it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGa_DZWVuM

On a different note, the SEA Games' flame "cauldron" being lambasted as extravagant in the Senate could be scaled up and redesigned to serve as a nice ATC tower for CRK...or to replace the old eyesore at NAIA..... :wideeyed: .....

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/201 ... 20x417.jpg

A fitting tribute to a foremost advocate of the Filipino vernacular in architecture. :praise:

J343

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
J343 wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:

Then perhaps you should twll those tourist vloggers to stop flying Air Asia or Cebu Pacific? I've flown PAL once and never went back. That is my choice and same goes with those tourist vloggers. If they want to fly with other airlines then leave them be. I choose to fly with BA withing Europe and AA to N.America and CX to Asia and I stick with them regardless of price. eyPAL being always in the red does not fall down to those tourist vloggers choosing to fly Air Asia or Cebu Pacific.

Observe more.then judge.why do vloggers refuse to fly PAL and then instead fly with air asia? Its because of money.they all do it,and i don't blame them at all.but it surely do nothing for PAL.
Backpackers fly with Air Asia and Cebpac,because they saw a Video from a Vlogger.its all about the Pricetag!!

Or is it due to the fact that Cebu Pacific has a larger donestic network compared to PAL's? And the fact that Air Asia can get you to virtually anywhere in SE Asia? 5J and Air Asia are both LCCs and I am pretty sure most will go for the cheapest. If you're really that bothered, perhaps you should ask PAL for free flights and be a Social Media influencer. :lol: :roll:

SkyHigher

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Kinda off-topic but 5J now embraces the LGBTQIA community by hiring transgender flight attendants. Maybe soon, we could see pilots that are also part of LGBTQIA.

https://www.pep.ph/lifestyle/extraordin ... 1119-lfrm/

Devilfish

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 pm

:camera: From Philstar...here's a more "instagrammable" picture of the controversial torch tower at CRK..... :hot: .....

https://media.philstar.com/photos/2019/ ... -03-38.jpg

AB330

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:43 am

PAL On-time Performance (OTP), has improve significantly this year compared to 2016-2018 which was only 60% previously then went to 80% then 90% in the spand of only a few months! :o

https://news.abs-cbn.com/ancx/culture/s ... no-airline

SEPilot

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:18 am

Six years ago I started my relationship with the Philippines, specifically Dipolog (DPL). At that time and the next year getting a flight on PR from MNL to DPL or vice versa was no problem; there was one flight a day as well as one flight on Cebu Pacific. Neither was ever full. Fast forward to 2017 and I was very chagrined to find out that when trying to book a flight about three weeks in advance from MNL to DPL that both airlines were sold out, and we had to stay a week in Manila before we could get a flight. This time I booked well in advance, but the plane was completely packed. When is either airline going to decide that demand is sufficient to add another flight? They both are still only offering one flight a day.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

AB330

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 pm

J343 wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:
J343 wrote:

Or is it due to the fact that Cebu Pacific has a larger donestic network compared to PAL's? And the fact that Air Asia can get you to virtually anywhere in SE Asia? 5J and Air Asia are both LCCs and I am pretty sure most will go for the cheapest. If you're really that bothered, perhaps you should ask PAL for free flights and be a Social Media influencer. :lol: :roll:

Found this analysis that explain why PAL continue to suffer losses and has widen when compared to previous years.

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... s.html?m=1

The effect of this Updated Accounting Standards was far more significant IMHO.

J343

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:05 pm

AB330 wrote:
J343 wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:

Found this analysis that explain why PAL continue to suffer losses and has widen when compared to previous years.

Very useful insight. Also, I think aggressive rather than conservative route/network expansion contributed to the losses. PAL is competing with the ME3, GF, KU and Oman Air for PH-Middle East flights. Whilst the competition is good for customers, PAL might have taken more than it can take with their mediocre product (i.e 9 abreast Y on their A333s). Also, PAL's LHR is good news but I doubt they made any profit since they started the route in 2014 and they are competing against the ME3, CX, SQ and the Mainland Carriers. I think PAL should focus on Asia and N.America flights to return to profitability.

docjowl

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:52 am

Interesting article on UA's objection on PR's expansion at GUM

https://simpleflying.com/united-against ... -airlines/

“While United has been unable to execute its Manila growth plans, Philippine carriers have increased capacity to the US.

Given these facts, United Airlines believes that the slot and airport access challenges it has experienced at Manila must be rectified before the Department approves the APC application.”

AB330

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:03 pm

J343 wrote:
AB330 wrote:
J343 wrote:

Very useful insight. Also, I think aggressive rather than conservative route/network expansion contributed to the losses. PAL is competing with the ME3, GF, KU and Oman Air for PH-Middle East flights. Whilst the competition is good for customers, PAL might have taken more than it can take with their mediocre product (i.e 9 abreast Y on their A333s). Also, PAL's LHR is good news but I doubt they made any profit since they started the route in 2014 and they are competing against the ME3, CX, SQ and the Mainland Carriers. I think PAL should focus on Asia and N.America flights to return to profitability.

I agreed with regards to PAL Network should be mainly foucs on Inter-Asian and North American routes though the timing isn't good right since the CN3 along with other Sino Carriers dumping capacity by selling cheap Y fare ticket between Asia and North America. Other potential Medium to Long-haul that I can see be further developed is Australia and New Zealand which will certainly grow in the future though PAL sould be conservstive adding destination in this region.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos