PSU.DTW.SCE

Re: Detroit Air Service Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 am

The fountain should be replaced by the Joe Louis fist.

klm617

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
All I ever see is the banana boat livery, NK really hates DTW since all we get is the big yellow planes.

I actually like the Yellow planes it reminds me of Hughes Airwest
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The only logical replacement for the fountain should be a statue of Maynard Jackson.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

ATLFlyer323

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 am

I usually don't post in this thread, and I don't think DL is going to de-hub Detroit anytime soon (unless some unforeseen event in the future happens where airlines are almost bankrupt again), but I will say I flew CAK-DTW-NGO 2 times a year up until they cancelled the DTW-CAK route. While I know its a small market they don't care too much about, it does go to show that cutting these small cities does have a domino effect. I had to route CLE-MSP-HND in January and will again be connecting in MSP on my way home from Japan today because I had to switch my flying to CLE and they offered a better connection in MSP than DTW. That being said I love DTW airport, and always try and route through that hub (especially in the winter, best midwest hub for winter ops in my experience) but DL is making it harder. Going south ATL is my only option from CAK now (Before I would always gladly take the basically 30 min hop up to DTW to head south simply to avoid ATL), and out of CLE Detroit now has to compete with the other DL hubs to get my $$. I doubt they will but Im hoping we may get the CAK-DTW flight back in the near future.
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

DTWorld

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:55 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

We could always use another Robocop statue. :stirthepot:

Though I think it would be kinda cool to see a spirit of Detroit replica somewhere in the terminal.

compensateme

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:05 am

DTWorld wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Though I think it would be kinda cool to see a spirit of Detroit replica somewhere in the terminal.

IMO, it’d be the perfect place for the Robocop statue; I’m pretty certain it hasn’t been delivered to the Science Center yet, and it will have far more visibility at the airport than the Science Center (whose existence would probably surprise the average Detroit’s). As mentioned earlier, every 15 minutes or so he could come to life as he reminds guests that Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone. (Ideally he’d say ‘Detroit Police, put your hands up’ but... nah, we won’t go there.)

We should really get a petition going. For that and also to name the North Terminal after Robert Ficano. Also, given Michael Berry’s checkered past, the WCAA administrative offices should be rightfully named after Turika Mullins, the first female CEO in airport history. #metoo
We don’t care what your next flight is.

n2dru

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 am

klm617 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The only logical replacement for the fountain should be a statue of Maynard Jackson.

Why? What does Maynard Jackson have to do with DTW?

winginit

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:44 am

n2dru wrote:
klm617 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I believe it was a joke as Maynard Jackson is so closely tied with the ATL airport that klm617 so often rages against out of jealousy.

n2dru

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:08 am

winginit wrote:
n2dru wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I believe it was a joke as Maynard Jackson is so closely tied with the ATL airport that klm617 so often rages against out of jealousy.

Oh ok..thanks. I was wondering because he has no ties to DTW.

klm617

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:54 pm

compensateme wrote:
DTWorld wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

IMO, it’d be the perfect place for the Robocop statue; I’m pretty certain it hasn’t been delivered to the Science Center yet, and it will have far more visibility at the airport than the Science Center (whose existence would probably surprise the average Detroit’s). As mentioned earlier, every 15 minutes or so he could come to life as he reminds guests that Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone. (Ideally he’d say ‘Detroit Police, put your hands up’ but... nah, we won’t go there.)

We should really get a petition going. For that and also to name the North Terminal after Robert Ficano. Also, given Michael Berry’s checkered past, the WCAA administrative offices should be rightfully named after Turika Mullins, the first female CEO in airport history. #metoo

I actually think they should change name of the airport to either Great Lakes Regional Airport (Serving Southeast Michigan) or Southeast Michigan Regional Airport and remove Detroit completely from it's name so people stop trying to connect the poverty of the city with the potential of the airport because as anyone who lives in this area knows the main customer base potential lies 90% outside of the city in places like Ann Arbor, Novi, Dearborn, West Bloomfield, Sterling Heights, Warren, Windsor Rochester Hills and the like not in the city itself. After all when Willow Run was the main airport they just called it Willow Run Airport

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:58 pm

< quadruple facepalm >

lavalampluva

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 pm

This thread has gone off the rails!
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

KarlB737

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:13 pm

compensateme wrote:
If NK really cared about Detroit.........

I don't think you can judge an airline by a paint job unless it is peeling. I remember when Spirit flew a DC-9 from DTW to RSW and that was pretty much it. I think they have pushed forward quite a bit at DTW since those early beginnings especially since their main emphasis is at FLL. Who else is taking on Delta?

compensateme

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:16 pm

klm617 wrote:
I actually think they should change name of the airport to either Great Lakes Regional Airport (Serving Southeast Michigan) or Southeast Michigan Regional Airport and remove Detroit completely from it's name so people stop trying to connect the poverty of the city with the potential of the airport because as anyone who lives in this area knows the main customer base potential lies 90% outside of the city in places like Ann Arbor, Novi, Dearborn, West Bloomfield, Sterling Heights, Warren, Windsor Rochester Hills and the like not in the city itself. After all when Willow Run was the main airport they just called it Willow Run Airport

That's an excellent idea! Southeastern Michigan Suburban International Airport, or SEMI for short. The airport could petition to change its code from DTW to SEM.

Additionally, the two terminals could be renamed:

The Henry Ford Terminal (formerly McNamara Terminal)
Concourse A = Woodward Avenue Concourse
Concourse B = Gratiot Avenue Concourse
Concourse C = Telegraph Road Concourse

*Also, in the tunnel, at the escalators leading to the C (Telegraph) Concourse, the following soundtrack will play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3XPDh7Irs
Lyrics will be updated to "Here dog, come on dog. Me and dog welcome you to the Telegraph Concourse. Right now. Have a nice flight."

The Renaissance Terminal (formerly North Terminal)
Concourse D = Cass Ave

Thoughts?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:42 pm

I wish they'd just start-over with a new green-field airport. Selfridge would be the perfect site!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Do thing the City of Detroit would consider moving City Airport out to Belle Isle? They we could have an island airport like Toronto and have water taxi service from the Ren Cen waterfront? Thoughts?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Why doesn't G4 start service to Troy-Oakland airport? It sooo-close to so many people who'd use the service. I think it would do real well.

compensateme

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:06 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Why doesn't G4 start service to Troy-Oakland airport? It sooo-close to so many people who'd use the service. I think it would do real well.

At just 3,550 feet, the runway is too short unfortunately. But what about Oakland County International Airport in Pontiac? Its primary runway is over 6,500 feet and the airport regularly saw service to Germany on aircraft chartered by Chrysler. The airport has convenient access to major roadways, a brand new executive terminal that could easily be repositioned for passenger service, and plenty of parking and ground transportation options. I could see G4 launching service to LAS, MCO, PIE and PGD to start. And with the airport already having access to customs & immigration, it'd be a great spot to land EI service to DUB! Direct access from one of the nation's wealthiest counties at a small, convenient airport is sure to be a big draw for EI. Alternatively, the airport could court Norwegian, or possibly relocate WOW. While most communities have to be concerned about the impact of commercial service on their property values, it'd be the opposite here -- no doubt it'd be a big boost to Pontiac and Waterford.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:09 pm

A little birdy told me that LAN is going to be writing a blank check to EI to upstage DTW for service in 2020.

KarlB737

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:19 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Why doesn't G4 start service to Troy-Oakland airport?

PSU.DTW.SCE in my opinion has always been one of the pillars of strength in our Detroit Air Service forum. When he starts suggesting Oakland Troy I know he is sitting on top of the Ren Cen roof with a cold cool one and a lap top.

Oakland-Troy - KVLL

Runway: 3549ft x 60ft

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KVLL

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm actually in the MSP Sky Club, almost as good a view.

klm617

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:32 pm

compensateme wrote:
klm617 wrote:

That's an excellent idea! Southeastern Michigan Suburban International Airport, or SEMI for short. The airport could petition to change its code from DTW to SEM.

Additionally, the two terminals could be renamed:

The Henry Ford Terminal (formerly McNamara Terminal)
Concourse A = Woodward Avenue Concourse
Concourse B = Gratiot Avenue Concourse
Concourse C = Telegraph Road Concourse

*Also, in the tunnel, at the escalators leading to the C (Telegraph) Concourse, the following soundtrack will play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3XPDh7Irs
Lyrics will be updated to "Here dog, come on dog. Me and dog welcome you to the Telegraph Concourse. Right now. Have a nice flight."

The Renaissance Terminal (formerly North Terminal)
Concourse D = Cass Ave

Thoughts?

I like that South East Michigan International Airport SEM to replace DTW. So then people will not focus the operations potential there solely on the data from the city of Detroit. If Eastpointe thought they needed to do that then why not the airport as well.

compensateme

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm

TAP is planning on adding ATL, IAH, LAX & YUL next year. Once again... Detroit gets screwed. :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1418207

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
A little birdy told me that LAN is going to be writing a blank check to EI to upstage DTW for service in 2020.

It wouldn't be surprising. LAN wasted tens of millions dollars to build a FIS that ultimately serves a handful of annual spring break charter flights that smell like beer farts (which is the official smell of MSU). Plus, tons of money annually to operate it. Then again, it isn't like LAN isn't use to wasteful spending.... nonetheless, EI would be great - and welcomed - addition.

klm617 wrote:
I like that South East Michigan International Airport SEM to replace DTW. So then people will not focus the operations potential there solely on the data from the city of Detroit. If Eastpointe thought they needed to do that then why not the airport as well.

Eastpointe is a bad example. NK use to be headquartered there, until it backstabbed the region and moved to Miami area!!! WORSE than when King LeBron James left Cleveland for Miami. At least he came back home!!!!! Et tu, Brute?

klm617

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Actually there was airline service there in the late 60's

klm617

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:12 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

And then there was this.

In January 2008 Kenny Tours announced non-stop flights from Lansing to Shannon, Ireland, dubbed Shamrock Express, to begin in June 2008.[

flymco753

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 pm

January numbers are out. 0.6% increase in passengers from last year. Domestic passengers are up 0.4% growth and international are up 2.7%.

Interesting that Aeromexico deplanements are higher than enplanements. 0.5% enplaned where 0.7% deplaned. They have grown YoY.

Spirit is the airline taking the fame, in 2018 they've accounted for 10% of enplanements where in 2019 they've increased to 10.6%. Deplanements in 2018 was 10.3% and grew to 11.1% in 2019. I've been waiting for the moment they keep their market share over 10%. How dare they!? :stirthepot:

DL grew 0.1% YoY inbound and 1.5% inbound.

Inbound WOW LF's were much better than outbound I assume since there was the same amount of seats an no irregularities where a flight arrived one day in December and departed in January.

https://www.metroairport.com/sites/defa ... port%20(CY)%20January%202019.pdf
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

N292UX

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

You think this bad? A few months ago there were a few certain users saying DTW deserved a direct flight to Iraq...

nomorerjs

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:47 pm

N292UX wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

You think this bad? A few months ago there were a few certain users saying DTW deserved a direct flight to Iraq...

They still do, along with Pyongyang and Mogadishu.

klm617

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:16 am

N292UX wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Actually RJ serves that purpose now as AMM is the closest they can get to BGW because IA is not allowed access to the USA. Many Detroit Iraqis take the RJ flight to AMM and then take the bus from there to Bagdad. How many Jordanians do you think live in Southeast Michigan. You'll find that the RJ flight probably carries 88% Iraqi nationals. Learn the region before you make comments about this market.

N292UX

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:36 am

nomorerjs wrote:
N292UX wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

They still do, along with Pyongyang and Mogadishu.

Maybe they can also look at flights to Tripoli, Tehran, Khartoum, Damascus, and Kabul.

N292UX

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:13 am

There's way more to it than the plane (if true) being 80% Iraqi. The situation in Iraq, along with the relations between the US and Iraq basically forbids a direct US-Iraq flight from happening for a long time. Who would operate it? DL wouldn't touch BGW in a million years. I'm not sure Iraqi Airways considers DTW as a priority for them by any stretch of the means. Plus, if someone were to even propose a US-Iraq flight from anywhere, there's no way it'd be approved.

flymco753

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 am

So much untrue/true with no fine line.

If you take a look at MIDT data, BEY accounts for over 80% of traffic going to the Middle East. At least, if I'm reading this right, it's DTW's 2nd largest unserved market behind BCN and ahead of BOM. RJ & AF do a fine job covering it since nonstops won't happen any time soon.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

klm617

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am

N292UX wrote:
There's way more to it than the plane (if true) being 80% Iraqi. The situation in Iraq, along with the relations between the US and Iraq basically forbids a direct US-Iraq flight from happening for a long time. Who would operate it? DL wouldn't touch BGW in a million years. I'm not sure Iraqi Airways considers DTW as a priority for them by any stretch of the means. Plus, if someone were to even propose a US-Iraq flight from anywhere, there's no way it'd be approved.

You may not know this but Iraqi Airways before the war broke out applied to fly BGW-JFK-DTW and Northwest applied to fly BGW-AMS-DTW. Absolutely under the current conditions it would never be approved just like MEA they are funneling the DTW-BEY traffic over CDG with AF because they too can not serve the US but if those restrictions are ever lifted you can bet the DTW is on the ME and IA shortlist. But for the moment because there is no easy way to get from DTW to Baghdad the easiest way is the RJ flight from DTW to AMM and then by land from there to Baghdad.

klm617

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 am

N292UX wrote:

Here you go from this thread. https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192199

According to an article appeared in Air Transport World before 1990, they had intension to fly to the USA. They were eyeing starting a route to Detroit as there seem to be a large Iraqi origin population living in that city.

Midwestindy

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:31 am

klm617 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Here you go from this thread. viewtopic.php?t=192199

According to an article appeared in Air Transport World before 1990, they had intension to fly to the USA. They were eyeing starting a route to Detroit as there seem to be a large Iraqi origin population living in that city.

Are you saying that, since someone 30+ years ago read an article about Iraqi Airways potentially looking into a route to Detroit, DTW-Iraq should be considered today?

Just want to make sure I got it all......
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

klm617

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 am

Midwestindy wrote:
klm617 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Here you go from this thread. https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192199

Are you saying that, since someone 30+ years ago read an article about Iraqi Airways potentially looking into a route to Detroit, DTW-Iraq should be considered today?

Absolutely because the population of Iraqi nationals in South East Michigan has only gotten bigger in that time frame. So if it was viable then it's even more viable now.

dtw9

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 am

Midwestindy wrote:
klm617 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Just want to make sure I got it all......

Actually Iraqi airways was granted Detroit-Baghdad authority. Then Iraq decided to invade Iran and the rest is history.

N292UX

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 am

These are some interesting theories you guys are coming up with. How about some sources to prove it?

winginit

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:00 am

klm617 wrote:
Absolutely because the population of Iraqi nationals in South East Michigan has only gotten bigger in that time frame. So if it was viable then it's even more viable now.

Seems as though you're missing half the equation there. Pray tell - how is the situation in Iraq today compared to the Iraq of pre-1990?

Looking forward to hearing this...

N292UX wrote:
These are some interesting theories you guys are coming up with. How about some sources to prove it?

Midwestindy

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:14 am

klm617 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Here you go from this thread. viewtopic.php?t=192199

Great! Should we also bring back FNT-AZO, DAY-AZO, DAY-TOL, DAY-EVV, DAY-FNT, and DAY-FWA as well? All those routes existed 30 years ago, so using your logic they are even more viable today!

compensateme

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:08 am

Midwestindy wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Great! Should we also bring back FNT-AZO, DAY-AZO, DAY-TOL, DAY-EVV, DAY-FNT, and DAY-FWA as well? All those routes existed 30 years ago, so using your logic they are even more viable today!

The difference is, those domestic routes no longer exist because there isn’t sufficient cargo to support them. Recall that after the USPS started imposing heavy penalties on its contractors for late and mishandled mail, nearly all the domestic carriers decided it was no longer worth bidding for USPS services.

dtw9

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Iraqi airways even opened a sales office at 12 mile and Southfield roads which was a little strange as that area was the center of a large Jewish population in Southfield.

Midwestindy

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 pm

compensateme wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
klm617 wrote:

The difference is, those domestic routes no longer exist because there isn’t sufficient cargo to support them. Recall that after the USPS started imposing heavy penalties on its contractors for late and mishandled mail, nearly all the domestic carriers decided it was no longer worth bidding for USPS services.

You are completely feeding into the point I am making, just because a route was viable 30 years ago does not automatically make it viable today at all

flymco753

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm

dtw9 wrote:
Iraqi airways even opened a sales office at 12 mile and Southfield roads which was a little strange as that area was the center of a large Jewish population in Southfield.
Still is heavily Jewish in that area.

compensateme

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
compensateme wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

You are completely feeding into the point I am making, just because a route was viable 30 years ago does not automatically make it viable today at all

Not at all. One has no more cargo, the other could print money with the cargo alone!

compensateme

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 pm

UA's upgauging SFO to the 739 this summer. Last summer it was scheduled as a 319, but went out as a 320 most days.

Congratulations to UA, SFO, DTW and the WCAA :bigthumbsup: .

winginit

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm

compensateme wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
compensateme wrote:

Not at all. One has no more cargo, the other could print money with the cargo alone!

You're proving his point. Midwestindy's point is that just because a domestic route was viable 30 years ago doesn't mean it's viable today. You're complimenting and reiterating that point by rightfully pointing out that the cargo market that once helped prop up those routes has evaporated, thus proving Midwestindy's initial point that just because a route was viable 30 years ago doesn't mean it's viable today.

Midwestindy

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:19 pm

winginit wrote:
compensateme wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

You're proving his point. Midwestindy's point is that just because a domestic route was viable 30 years ago doesn't mean it's viable today. You're complimenting and reiterating that point by rightfully pointing out that the cargo market that once helped prop up those routes has evaporated, thus proving Midwestindy's initial point that just because a route was viable 30 years ago doesn't mean it's viable today.

Thank you for saving me the breath, this whole discussion is just outlandish

N415XJ

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 am

flymco753 wrote:

If you take a look at MIDT data, BEY accounts for over 80% of traffic going to the Middle East. At least, if I'm reading this right, it's DTW's 2nd largest unserved market behind BCN and ahead of BOM. RJ & AF do a fine job covering it since nonstops won't happen any time soon.

I actually had no idea BEY is DTW's 2nd largest unserved market. However, I'm not too confident that we'd actually see a flight. If AC couldn't get approval to do YUL-BEY, the chance of a US carrier getting approval is even lower. And if approval was granted, the only airlines that could feasibly serve it are DL and ME. I just can't picture DL at BEY (correct me if I'm wrong), and ME would surely serve YUL, YYZ, or JFK before DTW. Come to think of it, how would I go about finding a list of the largest unserved markets from BEY? I tried to look up MIDT data but I can't figure out how to access it without some sort of business connection....

flymco753

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 am

N415XJ wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I actually had no idea BEY is DTW's 2nd largest unserved market. However, I'm not too confident that we'd actually see a flight. If AC couldn't get approval to do YUL-BEY, the chance of a US carrier getting approval is even lower. And if approval was granted, the only airlines that could feasibly serve it are DL and ME. I just can't picture DL at BEY (correct me if I'm wrong), and ME would surely serve YUL, YYZ, or JFK before DTW. Come to think of it, how would I go about finding a list of the largest unserved markets from BEY? I tried to look up MIDT data but I can't figure out how to access it without some sort of business connection....
A colleague of mine sent that to me, I have no idea how to access it.

Surprisingly, according to data released by the AAI, the state of Michigan has more Lebanese people than any other state in the US. Metro Detroit surprisingly ranks ahead of NYC. I was shocked when this was discovered because of being a Floridian, I've always assumed NYC had the bigger pops.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos