Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 am

Delta A333 coming in early Saturday morning to pick the Steelers up.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/DL8869
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:48 am

Here's a nice interview with Ms. Cassotis; included were some good questions about cargo expansion.
https://cheddar.com/media/pittsburgh-international-airport-takes-flight-with-billion-modernization-project
FLYi
 
tarmacphotos
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:38 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am

steeler83 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Now we just need to have someone figure out how to make LAX-PIT work. I, too, would have liked to see AS give this a try since AA, UA, and DL apparently are not likely to jump on this market.

When I searched for flights, Spirit airlines has a non-stop. Apparently ULCC is what it takes.

Lightsaber

Right. Still, it would be nice if someone with a premium cabin would offer PIT-LAX service. I suppose these pax are just fine connecting through DEN, SLC, ORD, or DFW, leaving PIT-LAX nonstop to the leisure travelers.


Yes. Usually CLT or ORD when I did it often.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:11 pm

I wouldn't say business/premium passengers are "fine" with having no choice but to make a connection to get from PIT to LAX .Quite the opposite actually.
FLYi
 
PITfall
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Been lurking on here for a while, first time posting!

I'm interested to see what Alaska's long term strategy is at PIT. Whether they continue to only bolster SEA or if they think there is opportunity for additional route development. They have the opportunity to establish themselves at PIT with flights to LAX, SAN, and PDX. Although it seems like the latter two routes are more of a longshot and would most likely be seasonal.

The loads for SEA in the summer looked strong, but I wonder how many PAX were still connecting due to timing.
 
tarmacphotos
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:38 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:14 pm

flyPIT wrote:
I wouldn't say business/premium passengers are "fine" with having no choice but to make a connection to get from PIT to LAX .Quite the opposite actually.


Of course no one would rather connect, but when the choice is low cost versus legacy, business travellers will connect. Many corporations will not even book company travel on low cost carriers. Your one maintenance delay away from being stranded with no options to get to your destination. This is not acceptable for business travel.
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:19 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Here's a nice interview with Ms. Cassotis; included were some good questions about cargo expansion.
https://cheddar.com/media/pittsburgh-international-airport-takes-flight-with-billion-modernization-project

Those were excellent questions on air cargo expansion, and I liked her responses. Considering what she's done so far with PIT I put a lot of stock into what she's saying. I just hope her vision comes to fruition sooner as opposed to later.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:12 pm

PITfall wrote:
Been lurking on here for a while, first time posting!

I'm interested to see what Alaska's long term strategy is at PIT. Whether they continue to only bolster SEA or if they think there is opportunity for additional route development. They have the opportunity to establish themselves at PIT with flights to LAX, SAN, and PDX. Although it seems like the latter two routes are more of a longshot and would most likely be seasonal.

The loads for SEA in the summer looked strong, but I wonder how many PAX were still connecting due to timing.

Welcome! I just thought about this the other day. Before AS announced the second seasonal SEA flight I thought "not much" about any potential AS expansion to other cities from PIT. But now our SEA AS schedule will closely mirror that of BWI's.

From BWI AS expanded to add year round n/s to LAX and seasonal to PDX, SFO, and SAN so I think the potential is there for them to add LAX, and maybe seasonally to PDX and/or or SAN from PIT. They stated they would be monitoring this second SEA flight closely to see if they want to extend its season so I would look for that first.



steeler83 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Here's a nice interview with Ms. Cassotis; included were some good questions about cargo expansion.
https://cheddar.com/media/pittsburgh-international-airport-takes-flight-with-billion-modernization-project

Those were excellent questions on air cargo expansion, and I liked her responses. Considering what she's done so far with PIT I put a lot of stock into what she's saying. I just hope her vision comes to fruition sooner as opposed to later.

Yes, the reporter actually seemed to know what he was talking about and likewise she had good yet measured answers. I could almost tell she was holding back a bit.
FLYi
 
PITexpress
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:01 pm

flyPIT wrote:
PITfall wrote:
Been lurking on here for a while, first time posting!

I'm interested to see what Alaska's long term strategy is at PIT. Whether they continue to only bolster SEA or if they think there is opportunity for additional route development. They have the opportunity to establish themselves at PIT with flights to LAX, SAN, and PDX. Although it seems like the latter two routes are more of a longshot and would most likely be seasonal.


Welcome! I just thought about this the other day. Before AS announced the second seasonal SEA flight I thought "not much" about any potential AS expansion to other cities from PIT. But now our SEA AS schedule will closely mirror that of BWI's.

From BWI AS expanded to add year round n/s to LAX and seasonal to PDX, SFO, and SAN so I think the potential is there for them to add LAX, and maybe seasonally to PDX and/or or SAN from PIT. They stated they would be monitoring this second SEA flight closely to see if they want to extend its season so I would look for that first.


I would love it if they added even seasonal PDX and SAN. LAX seems logical too. I've visited Portland over in September the last two years and it would be so nice not having to connect, it just adds so much time to that trip. I noticed that they serve PHL with a seasonal PDX flight.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:04 am

Runway28L wrote:
Delta A333 coming in early Saturday morning to pick the Steelers up.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/DL8869


I know the Steelers used an AA 767 for their flights to SJC for the Niners game and to LAX for the Chargers game. I was under the impression they'd be using AA for their flight to Phoenix.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Does PIT have anything serving SAN nonstop? If the second daily SEA does prove successful and AS looks to expand, I would think either LAX or SAN could be next. I never thought of PDX having particularly high demand...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:28 pm

steeler83 wrote:
Does PIT have anything serving SAN nonstop? If the second daily SEA does prove successful and AS looks to expand, I would think either LAX or SAN could be next. I never thought of PDX having particularly high demand...


SAN is not served at the moment. Would be a great route for AS to try in a seasonal basis. PDX would make a great summer seasonal flight addition as well.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:15 pm

No changes for PIT in British Airways' latest S20 long-haul schedule update. There does seem to be a lot of movement for the 787 fleet however.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-06dec19/
 
PITfall
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Delta28L wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Does PIT have anything serving SAN nonstop? If the second daily SEA does prove successful and AS looks to expand, I would think either LAX or SAN could be next. I never thought of PDX having particularly high demand...


SAN is not served at the moment. Would be a great route for AS to try in a seasonal basis. PDX would make a great summer seasonal flight addition as well.


I believe Frontier had 2X weekly service for a very brief period before pulling the plug. If I recall correctly, they used an A320 and had OK load factors. If they had used an A319, it would have been a better fit for the route.

Looking at some of the data, I think that between SAN and PDX, SAN would be the better add. Looking at the AS schedule for SEA-PDX, they have 19 flights a day in the summer. I think they would rather have you connect PIT-SEA-PDX. Not to say that it won't happen or the flight wouldn't work for a couple of months!

I think if you are flying to SAN, you are much more likely to connect through DEN, SLC, DFW before SEA.

What amazes me about 19 daily flights between SEA-PDX is that we only have 6 daily flights between PIT-PHL. Apples to oranges in many ways, but I think my point comes across!
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Delta28L wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Does PIT have anything serving SAN nonstop? If the second daily SEA does prove successful and AS looks to expand, I would think either LAX or SAN could be next. I never thought of PDX having particularly high demand...


SAN is not served at the moment. Would be a great route for AS to try in a seasonal basis. PDX would make a great summer seasonal flight addition as well.


AS has been cutting back service to Midwest/east coast stations from SAN/PDX/SFO so I wouldn’t hold my breathe for SAN-PIT. But probably having no other service to SAN does help a bit.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:25 am

PITfall wrote:
I believe Frontier had 2X weekly service for a very brief period before pulling the plug. If I recall correctly, they used an A320 and had OK load factors. If they had used an A319, it would have been a better fit for the route.

It was an A321 with excellent loads considering the service was off season.
FLYi
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:12 am

PITfall wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
What amazes me about 19 daily flights between SEA-PDX is that we only have 6 daily flights between PIT-PHL. Apples to oranges in many ways, but I think my point comes across!


Even crazier example that’s on AA rather than AS RDU CLT 9 mainline flights this time of year some on A321 it’s a 2:15 or so drive so the O/D must be zilch.
 
jbpdx
Posts: 866
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:16 am

PITfall wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Does PIT have anything serving SAN nonstop? If the second daily SEA does prove successful and AS looks to expand, I would think either LAX or SAN could be next. I never thought of PDX having particularly high demand...


SAN is not served at the moment. Would be a great route for AS to try in a seasonal basis. PDX would make a great summer seasonal flight addition as well.


I believe Frontier had 2X weekly service for a very brief period before pulling the plug. If I recall correctly, they used an A320 and had OK load factors. If they had used an A319, it would have been a better fit for the route.

Looking at some of the data, I think that between SAN and PDX, SAN would be the better add. Looking at the AS schedule for SEA-PDX, they have 19 flights a day in the summer. I think they would rather have you connect PIT-SEA-PDX. Not to say that it won't happen or the flight wouldn't work for a couple of months!

I think if you are flying to SAN, you are much more likely to connect through DEN, SLC, DFW before SEA.

What amazes me about 19 daily flights between SEA-PDX is that we only have 6 daily flights between PIT-PHL. Apples to oranges in many ways, but I think my point comes across!


There are a lot of cities ahead of PIT for PDX nonstops.
^
 
B747forever
Posts: 13858
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:39 am

lightsaber wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Now we just need to have someone figure out how to make LAX-PIT work. I, too, would have liked to see AS give this a try since AA, UA, and DL apparently are not likely to jump on this market.

When I searched for flights, Spirit airlines has a non-stop. Apparently ULCC is what it takes.

Lightsaber


And it looks like Spirit will go double daily on LAX-PIT starting in late April. But I agree, it surprises me that none of the US3 fly LAX-PIT.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
pmanni1
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 pm

PITfall wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Does PIT have anything serving SAN nonstop? If the second daily SEA does prove successful and AS looks to expand, I would think either LAX or SAN could be next. I never thought of PDX having particularly high demand...


SAN is not served at the moment. Would be a great route for AS to try in a seasonal basis. PDX would make a great summer seasonal flight addition as well.


I believe Frontier had 2X weekly service for a very brief period before pulling the plug. If I recall correctly, they used an A320 and had OK load factors. If they had used an A319, it would have been a better fit for the route.

Looking at some of the data, I think that between SAN and PDX, SAN would be the better add. Looking at the AS schedule for SEA-PDX, they have 19 flights a day in the summer. I think they would rather have you connect PIT-SEA-PDX. Not to say that it won't happen or the flight wouldn't work for a couple of months!

I think if you are flying to SAN, you are much more likely to connect through DEN, SLC, DFW before SEA.

What amazes me about 19 daily flights between SEA-PDX is that we only have 6 daily flights between PIT-PHL. Apples to oranges in many ways, but I think my point comes across!

Nearly every flight between SEA-PDX is on a Q400 prop plane.
 
Gsasala
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:46 pm

So it looks like AS is also going 2 time daily on SEA-IND
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:55 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
PITfall wrote:
Delta28L wrote:

SAN is not served at the moment. Would be a great route for AS to try in a seasonal basis. PDX would make a great summer seasonal flight addition as well.


I believe Frontier had 2X weekly service for a very brief period before pulling the plug. If I recall correctly, they used an A320 and had OK load factors. If they had used an A319, it would have been a better fit for the route.

Looking at some of the data, I think that between SAN and PDX, SAN would be the better add. Looking at the AS schedule for SEA-PDX, they have 19 flights a day in the summer. I think they would rather have you connect PIT-SEA-PDX. Not to say that it won't happen or the flight wouldn't work for a couple of months!

I think if you are flying to SAN, you are much more likely to connect through DEN, SLC, DFW before SEA.

What amazes me about 19 daily flights between SEA-PDX is that we only have 6 daily flights between PIT-PHL. Apples to oranges in many ways, but I think my point comes across!

Nearly every flight between SEA-PDX is on a Q400 prop plane.

Actually, just about every city pair in the Northeast is served about 5 or 6 times daily with a mix of E75/E90 equipment or similar. Years ago, a single airline would operate PHL-LGA upwards of 18 times a day with 50-seaters... One of those would have been a better thing to compare SEA-PDX to. Again there is a difference. The entire NE Corridor is heavily congested; SEA-PDX not so much...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm

FedEx MD-11 diversion into PIT this morning.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/FX851
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:08 pm

WN has added an extra season to PIT-CUN. Will also operate from June 13 to August 8.

The only other changes I notice are PIT-LAS being reduced to 1x daily and PIT-DEN going back up to 2x daily.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:58 pm

PIT (along with others) is on SAT's wish list:
https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/San-Antonio-airport-officials-propose-more-14900214.php

As with MCI's:
https://insiderfinancial.net/southwest-celebrates-35-years-at-kci-but-airports-future-remains-cloudy-2.html
Interesting to note that WN does not believe service is warranted without connecting flows at MCI. In other words don't expect this one for a long time.
FLYi
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Frontier is (once again) resuming PIT-DEN effective April 23, replacing the PIT-MCO flight. Tue/Thur/Sun service on an A320.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 pm

PIT's international routes did extremely well in June
BA PIT-LHR-96.9%; LHR-PIT-84.8%
DE PIT-FRA-94.3%; FRA-PIT-79.4%
AC PIT-YUL-90.3%; YUL-PIT-76.3%
AC PIT-YYZ-92.9%; YYZ-PIT-79.4%
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 pm

flyPIT wrote:
PIT (along with others) is on SAT's wish list:
https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/San-Antonio-airport-officials-propose-more-14900214.php

As with MCI's:
https://insiderfinancial.net/southwest-celebrates-35-years-at-kci-but-airports-future-remains-cloudy-2.html
Interesting to note that WN does not believe service is warranted without connecting flows at MCI. In other words don't expect this one for a long time.

According to that article, it looks like WN's issues are mainly with the airport layout at MCI and not any routes in particular, which I get. The folks at MCI do need to figure out what they are going to do as far as building a new terminal complex. I played around with the maps on Google Maps looking at the current terminals. To me, modifying the existing buildings just does not seem logical. I don't think it's possible to renovate those buildings into something more modern and functional today and beyond. What I can see, though, is one-by-one tearing down the current buildings and rebuilding each one with its own gates, pick up and drop-offs, baggages areas, etc.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm

?? MCI is well in process of building a new terminal and it will be done in a few years, the problems with the current facility aren't exactly subtle. 2023 I believe. Google it (which is another way of saying I'm too lazy to look up an article for everyone!)
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:01 pm

ncflyer wrote:
?? MCI is well in process of building a new terminal and it will be done in a few years, the problems with the current facility aren't exactly subtle. 2023 I believe. Google it (which is another way of saying I'm too lazy to look up an article for everyone!)

Oh ok. Yep, I did just as you suggested & came up with everything including renderings and proposed traffic patterns and a time frame. Apparently whoever wrote the article above is clueless, which I guess really should not come as a surprise to anyone. Of course, I guess I too was clueless, but I'm not a journalist.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:01 pm

steeler83 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
?? MCI is well in process of building a new terminal and it will be done in a few years, the problems with the current facility aren't exactly subtle. 2023 I believe. Google it (which is another way of saying I'm too lazy to look up an article for everyone!)

Oh ok. Yep, I did just as you suggested & came up with everything including renderings and proposed traffic patterns and a time frame. Apparently whoever wrote the article above is clueless, which I guess really should not come as a surprise to anyone. Of course, I guess I too was clueless, but I'm not a journalist.


That article is dated 2019 but it’s actually from Feb 2017. For some reason that website just reprinted a 2 year old article from someone else.
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
?? MCI is well in process of building a new terminal and it will be done in a few years, the problems with the current facility aren't exactly subtle. 2023 I believe. Google it (which is another way of saying I'm too lazy to look up an article for everyone!)

Oh ok. Yep, I did just as you suggested & came up with everything including renderings and proposed traffic patterns and a time frame. Apparently whoever wrote the article above is clueless, which I guess really should not come as a surprise to anyone. Of course, I guess I too was clueless, but I'm not a journalist.


That article is dated 2019 but it’s actually from Feb 2017. For some reason that website just reprinted a 2 year old article from someone else.

Ah, yeah websites do tend to do that. I'll see something in my news feed on Facebook shared "the other day," only to discover that it was old news - from well over a year or two ago...

Well in any event, so it looks like this new terminal will be built within a few years, and it looks like they'll spend about a billion and a half when all is said and done. I guess this is some food for thought considering in about that same time frame, PIT will have a new landside terminal and a modified airside terminal for about the same amount...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:51 pm

To keep the cost down at MCI I believe they had to remove a planned grand fountain— which is a shame, all baseball fans know the wonderful fountains in Kaufman Stadium. For those of us who follow PIt but don’t live there any update on the terminal modernization? Haven’t seen much about it lately admittedly I rely on this board for news.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:22 pm

ncflyer wrote:
To keep the cost down at MCI I believe they had to remove a planned grand fountain— which is a shame, all baseball fans know the wonderful fountains in Kaufman Stadium. For those of us who follow PIt but don’t live there any update on the terminal modernization? Haven’t seen much about it lately admittedly I rely on this board for news.


Last I heard they were doing soil testing and they were getting ready to award the first contracts for the preliminary projects. The jet bridges have been taken down and all the airlines have been moved to new gates. The design has been finalized and they are getting the last few things in order before getting started.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:26 am

Delta28L wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
To keep the cost down at MCI I believe they had to remove a planned grand fountain— which is a shame, all baseball fans know the wonderful fountains in Kaufman Stadium. For those of us who follow PIt but don’t live there any update on the terminal modernization? Haven’t seen much about it lately admittedly I rely on this board for news.


Last I heard they were doing soil testing and they were getting ready to award the first contracts for the preliminary projects. The jet bridges have been taken down and all the airlines have been moved to new gates. The design has been finalized and they are getting the last few things in order before getting started.


No airlines had to be moved. They haven’t used the terminal they already demolished in years. Today they announced they are halfway done drilling piles (1100 of 2200) for the new terminal.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:54 pm

May 2019 Intl LF
AC
PIT-YUL 83% YUL-PIT 66%
PIT-YYZ 82% YYZ-PIT 64%

G4
PIT-CUN 56% CUN-PIT 59%
PIT-POP 66% POP-PIT 61%
PIT-PUJ 79% PUJ-PIT 85%

BA
PIT-LHR 83% LHR-PIT 75%

DE
FRA-PIT 77% PIT-FRA 100% *only one flight in each direction that month*

WQ
PIT-PUJ 53% PUJ-PIT N/A *only one flight ran that month*

June 2019 Intl LF
AC
PIT-YUL 90% YUL-PIT 76%
PIT-YYZ 93% YYZ-PIT 79%

G4
PIT-CUN 86% CUN-PIT 82%
PIT-POP 91% POP-PIT 91%
PIT-PUJ 80% PUJ-PIT 78%

BA
PIT-LHR 97% LHR-PIT 85%

DE
PIT-FRA 79% FRA-PIT 94%

VB
PIT-CUN 99% CUN-PIT 99%
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 pm

August 2019 Domestic LF
AS
PIT-SEA 89% SEA-PIT 94%

G4
PIT-AUS 95% AUS-PIT 92%
PIT-CHS 80% CHS-PIT 81%
PIT-JAX 85% JAX-PIT 94%
PIT-TYS 65% TYS-PIT 66%
PIT-MYR 78% MYR-PIT 87%
PIT-MSY 86% MSY-PIT 85%
PIT-PGD 89% PGD-PIT 92%
PIT-SFB 90% SFB-PIT 91%
PIT-SRQ 88% SRQ-PIT 93%
PIT-SAV 78% SAV-PIT 89%
PIT-PIE 91% PIE-PIT 94%
PIT-VPS 74% VPS-PIT 89%

AA
PIT-CLT 86% CLT-PIT 92.67%
PIT-ORD 83% ORD-PIT 83%
PIT-DFW 83% DFW-PIT 83%
PIT-MIA 78% MIA-PIT 90%
PIT-JFK 87% JFK-PIT 73%
PIT-LGA 75.67% LGA-PIT 74.25%
PIT-PHL 83.3% PHL-PIT 83.67%
PIT-PHX 75% PHX-PIT 82%
PIT-RDU 90% RDU-PIT 80%
PIT-DCA 67% DCA-PIT 75%

4B
PIT-JST 53% JST-PIT 55%

DL
PIT-ATL 85% ATL-PIT 88%
PIT-BOS 69% BOS-PIT 74%
PIT-DTW 81% DTW-PIT 77.67%
PIT-MSP 88.67% MSP-PIT 87.5%
PIT-MCO 91% MCO-PIT 89%
PIT-JFK 66% JFK-PIT 75%
PIT-LGA 58% LGA-PIT 63.5%
PIT-RDU 83% RDU-PIT 72%
PIT-SLC 94% SLC-PIT 97%

F9
PIT-DEN 94% DEN-PIT 94%

B6
PIT-BOS 77% BOS-PIT 80%

9X
PIT-AOO 38% AOO-PIT 40%
PIT-BFD 44% BFD-PIT 48%
PIT-DUJ 36% DUJ-PIT 41%
PIT-FKL 24% FKL-PIT 29%
PIT-HGR 61% HGR-PIT 61%
PIT-LNS 55% LNS-PIT 57%
PIT-MGW 35% MGW-PIT 36%

WN
PIT-ATL 73% ATL-PIT 69%
PIT-BWI 75% BWI-PIT 83%
PIT-MDW 73% MDW-PIT 69%
PIT-DAL 84% DAL-PIT 89%
PIT-DEN 94% DEN-PIT 93%
PIT-FLL 84% FLL-PIT 93%
PIT-RSW 81% RSW-PIT 90%
PIT-HOU 85% HOU-PIT 90%
PIT-LAS 87% LAS-PIT 91%
PIT-BNA 83% BNA-PIT 80%
PIT-MCO 82% MCO-PIT 90%
PIT-PHX 93% PHX-PIT 94%
PIT-STL 85% STL-PIT 84%
PIT-TPA 81% STL-PIT 89%

NK
PIT-FLL 76% FLL-PIT 85%
PIT-LAS 74% LAS-PIT 84%
PIT-LAX 82% LAX-PIT 88%
PIT-MYR 87% MYR-PIT 94%
PIT-MCO 83% MCO-PIT 93%

UA
PIT-ORD 83.3% ORD-PIT 89%
PIT-DEN 92% DEN-PIT 93%
PIT-IAH 79.67% IAH-PIT 89.67%
PIT-EWR 79% EWR-PIT 82.3%
PIT-SFO 89% SFO-PIT 93%
PIT-IAD 85% IAD-PIT 91%

September 2019 Domestic LF
AS
PIT-SEA 81% SEA-PIT 87%

G4
PIT-CHS 70% CHS-PIT 70%
PIT-JAX 83% JAX-PIT 82%
PIT-MYR 43% MYR-PIT 97% *only one flight in each direction that month*
PIT-PGD 89% PGD-PIT 84%
PIT-SFB 88% SFB-PIT 85%
PIT-SRQ 85% SRQ-PIT 86%
PIT-SAV 77% SAV-PIT 74%
PIT-PIE 90% PIE-PIT 88%

AA
PIT-CLT 84% CLT-PIT 84%
PIT-ORD 75% ORD-PIT 75.5%
PIT-DFW 77% DFW-PIT 74%
PIT-MIA 72.5% MIA-PIT 71%
PIT-JFK 76% JFK-PIT 61%
PIT-LGA 67.67% LGA-PIT 65.5%
PIT-PHL 80.3% PHL-PIT 83%
PIT-PHX 81% PHX-PIT 81%
PIT-RDU 80% RDU-PIT 78%
PIT-DCA 66% DCA-PIT 71%

4B
PIT-JST 52% JST-PIT 59%

PIT-ATL 82% ATL-PIT 80%
PIT-BOS 63% BOS-PIT 65%
PIT-DTW 78.3% DTW-PIT 70.25%
PIT-MSP 68.67% MSP-PIT 83.5%
PIT-JFK 74% JFK-PIT 69%
PIT-LGA 56.5% LGA-PIT 59.25%
PIT-RDU 71% RDU-PIT 69%
PIT-SLC 94% SLC-PIT 96%

F9
PIT-DEN 82% DEN-PIT 87%

B6
PIT-BOS 73% BOS-PIT 73%

9X
PIT-AOO 26% AOO-PIT 27%
PIT-BFD 45% BFD-PIT 49%
PIT-DUJ 30% DUJ-PIT 37%
PIT-FKL 19% FKL-PIT 25%
PIT-HGR 54% HGR-PIT 49%
PIT-LNS 57% LNS-PIT 57%
PIT-MGW 35% MGW-PIT 41%

WN
PIT-ATL 80% ATL-PIT 66%
PIT-BWI 78% BWI-PIT 78%
PIT-MDW 77% MDW-PIT 70%
PIT-DAL 68% DAL-PIT 58%
PIT-DEN 89% DEN-PIT 91%
PIT-FLL 83% FLL-PIT 73%
PIT-RSW 91% RSW-PIT 82%
PIT-HOU 81% HOU-PIT 81%
PIT-LAS 90% LAS-PIT 91%
PIT-LAX 93% LAX-PIT 82% *only one flight in each direction that month*
PIT-BNA 76% BNA-PIT 79%
PIT-MCO 82% MCO-PIT 83%
PIT-PHX 93% PHX-PIT 95%
PIT-STL 78% STL-PIT 86%
PIT-TPA 87% STL-PIT 77%

NK
PIT-FLL 72% FLL-PIT 73%
PIT-RSW N/A RSW-PIT 53% *only one flight ran that month*
PIT-LAS 73% LAS-PIT 83%
PIT-LAX 62% LAX-PIT 66%
PIT-MYR 83% MYR-PIT 81%
PIT-MCO 86% MCO-PIT 80%
PIT-TPA 72% TPA-PIT 71%

UA
PIT-ORD 84.63% ORD-PIT 83%
PIT-DEN 84% DEN-PIT 90%
PIT-IAH 84% IAH-PIT 82.5%
PIT-EWR 83% EWR-PIT 80.3%
PIT-SFO 87% SFO-PIT 90%
PIT-IAD 82% IAD-PIT 84%
 
pmanni1
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:34 pm

I wonder why DCA has about the lowest loads of any destination. AA has no competition on this route.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:58 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
I wonder why DCA has about the lowest loads of any destination. AA has no competition on this route.

The data on PIT-DCA is skewed because AA has been operating a mainline E190 on the route since May and loads on that particular flight have been very poor. Here's August for example:

PIT-DCA
AA 46% (E190)
YX 67% (E175s)
OH 88% (Mix of CRJ2s and CRJ7s)

There's a few routes like DTW and MSP that also have skewed data due to mainline loads being much lower than those on RJs.
 
CaptainMidnight
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:48 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
I wonder why DCA has about the lowest loads of any destination. AA has no competition on this route.


I would guess DCA’s close proximity, cost, and it’s probably just business customers? Most leisure travel to DC area would be via car I would assume.
 
phllax
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 pm

CaptainMidnight wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
I wonder why DCA has about the lowest loads of any destination. AA has no competition on this route.


I would guess DCA’s close proximity, cost, and it’s probably just business customers? Most leisure travel to DC area would be via car I would assume.


Most of the feed that previously flew DCA-PIT-XXX is now going via ORD or non-stop
 
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Is PIT-SLC going twice daily at all? I thought they were going to make that 2x daily unless it's just a seasonal add. Of course, I could also be mistaken.

Also, the PG was reporting that WN is cancelling more flights due to the continued MAX grounding. I'm starting to wonder if WN will consider pursuing other options while these MAX-8s remain grounded. Suppose they never get re-certified...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:37 pm

steeler83 wrote:
Is PIT-SLC going twice daily at all? I thought they were going to make that 2x daily unless it's just a seasonal add. Of course, I could also be mistaken.

Also, the PG was reporting that WN is cancelling more flights due to the continued MAX grounding. I'm starting to wonder if WN will consider pursuing other options while these MAX-8s remain grounded. Suppose they never get re-certified...


I haven’t heard of SLC going double daily. Only LAX and SEA have been announced as double daily for next year.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 2101
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:02 pm

steeler83 wrote:
Is PIT-SLC going twice daily at all? I thought they were going to make that 2x daily unless it's just a seasonal add. Of course, I could also be mistaken.

Also, the PG was reporting that WN is cancelling more flights due to the continued MAX grounding. I'm starting to wonder if WN will consider pursuing other options while these MAX-8s remain grounded. Suppose they never get re-certified...

Now I don’t know if this true or not, but I’ve been told Delta is capped on the number of mainline flights they can operate because PIT is NOT a mainline station, similar to pre-merger AA and CO. Perhaps that could be why DL won’t add frequency to SLC, but someone should correct me if I’m wrong. Regardless, they could still upgrade to an A320 or B738.

Hopefully the MAX grounding gets resolved before S20 but personally I’m not very confident. It has no doubt taken a huge chunk out of domestic growth the ACAA planned for.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:11 am

Runway28L wrote:
Delta A333 coming in early Saturday morning to pick the Steelers up.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/DL8869


I'm curious as to what DL will be sending to fly the Steelers to EWR for this Sunday's game against the Jets.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
steeler83
Posts: 7700
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Runway28L wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Is PIT-SLC going twice daily at all? I thought they were going to make that 2x daily unless it's just a seasonal add. Of course, I could also be mistaken.

Also, the PG was reporting that WN is cancelling more flights due to the continued MAX grounding. I'm starting to wonder if WN will consider pursuing other options while these MAX-8s remain grounded. Suppose they never get re-certified...

Now I don’t know if this true or not, but I’ve been told Delta is capped on the number of mainline flights they can operate because PIT is NOT a mainline station, similar to pre-merger AA and CO. Perhaps that could be why DL won’t add frequency to SLC, but someone should correct me if I’m wrong. Regardless, they could still upgrade to an A320 or B738.

Hopefully the MAX grounding gets resolved before S20 but personally I’m not very confident. It has no doubt taken a huge chunk out of domestic growth the ACAA planned for.

I'm not holding my breath for the whole MAX fiasco, and I suppose I misheard about SLC going twice daily. Will the A220 be mainline or regional? I suppose it could be a possibility to run this twice with an A220 or A220?A319 mix...

That mainline cap could also be why they won't add SEA and/or LAX service. Man I wish they could set up a focus city at PIT, but I know they have an absolute zero chance of doing so.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:34 pm

More hyperloop nonsense... the "Great Lakes Hyperloop Feasibility Study" has been released by relevant "stakeholders"

https://8508ab36-da5a-4138-b6f6-8384719812eb.filesusr.com/ugd/c9f49b_a24205944525477b919bb20602113585.pdf

But it does involve airports so I figured I'd post it as it could have consequences for PIT and CLE. Some proposed routings have it going from downtown Pittsburgh straight to CLE airport. Imagine what that would do to PIT if it would be faster to get from downtown Pittsburgh to CLE than it would be to get to PIT, especially with CLE's superior ULCC network.

Proposed routings start on page 36. Both CLE and TOL seem to be well situated. Having said that, at $50-65 million PER MILE to construct, I'm not at all worried.
FLYi
 
PITexpress
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 pm

steeler83 wrote:
I'm not holding my breath for the whole MAX fiasco, and I suppose I misheard about SLC going twice daily. Will the A220 be mainline or regional? I suppose it could be a possibility to run this twice with an A220 or A220?A319 mix...

That mainline cap could also be why they won't add SEA and/or LAX service. Man I wish they could set up a focus city at PIT, but I know they have an absolute zero chance of doing so.


What's with this nonsense? I thought we were long over those days of being limited by pmAA having a non-mainline station. Has this always been the case? This is the first I've heard of it. It's frustrating if this is the impediment of us actually getting better service on DL. And what is the actual limit of mainline flights then? With all the ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC flying, I'd venture to guess that it's higher than the old pmAA limit was?

Also... exciting times for PDX and their BA flight!
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:49 pm

That's DL's issue, not AA.....you're mixing up airlines.......
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos