Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyPIT

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Delta28L wrote:
There was plans to add another cargo warehouse next to the UPS/WFS building and another ramp. It was in one of the master plans I saw a while back.

Here are the most recent public available documents:

The 2017 Draft Master Plan. Note- I can no longer find a link to this document nor a prior website dedicated to the Airport's Master Plan Update (not to be confused with the Terminal Modernization Plan).

It is important to note that the data used for this 2017 report is from 2014. Like the passenger forecasts this cargo data is obsolete as we've already seen.

According to that document Cargo Bldg 1 has some space available. It is currently used (at time of publishing) by FedEx for maintenance functions as well as Atlantic Aviation. Cargo A is primarily used by a tire distributor (non-cargo). According to the draft:

"The 2015 PIT ALP includes air cargo buildings with sizeable apron and truck parking areas adjacent to them on the north side of Runway 10L-28R. The estimated dimensions for these new buildings and associated facilities would increase the total square footage of the Airport’s cargo buildings by a factor of 7. Also on the 2015 ALP, new cargo buildings are shown adjacent to Cargo Building A. These facilities are no longer needed and are being removed on the updated ALP. PIT’s existing facilities have additional capacity for cargo throughput; the majority is concentrated in Cargo #1, since it is not currently used for cargo sorting with 34,300 square feet of vacant space. Therefore, any near-term or long-term growth in throughput, based on forecast levels, could be accommodated in Cargo #1, or in planned cargo buildings on the Airport’s north side. As shown in Table 7.4-1, the size of these planned cargo buildings would be more than sufficient to accommodate the moderate growth in cargo tonnage forecast for PIT; these planned cargo facilities are depicted on Exhibit 7.4-1."

"An analysis of air cargofacility adequacy illustrates that deficiencies exist among certain facilities and facility components at PIT. However, when examining the combined capacity of all of PIT’s cargo facilities, it is evident that, with relatively minor modifications, there is sufficient capacity to accommodate current and forecast air cargo volumes. Construction of additional air cargo facilities will not likely be needed within the current 20-year planning period, but this could be accommodated immediately west of Cargo #3."

So If I understand this correct, the 2015 Airport Layout Plan had facilities planned west of Cargo 3 and next to Cargo A but this has been removed by the 2017 draft master plan update. Here are/were the facilities west of Cargo 3 according to the 2015 ALP:

Looks like the building is set back further from Taxiway A to accommodate Group V/Code E aircraft (B777/B744).

Here's the final layout recommendation from that document:

The only thing addressed was more parking for trucks and employees. So the document was obviously out of date before it was completed.

Next up is the 2018 Operating and Capital Budget completed at the end of 2017, which has this:
- 2022: Taxiway A Phase 1 expansion $4,000,000
- 2023: Taxiway A extension $5,400,000
-2024: Construct Air Cargo Facility $10,000,000
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/getattachment/About-Us/Reports-Financials/2018-Operating-and-Capital-Budget.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US
(Page 96)

The 2019 OPerating and Capital Budget completed at the end of 2018, which has:
- 2022: Taxiway A Ext/Cargo 3 ramp phase 1 $2,000,000
- 2023 Taxiway A Ext phase 2 $5,400,000
*** no reference to a new cargo building in 2024***
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/FlyPitt/media/Documents/2019-Operating-and-Capital-Budget.pdf
(page 110)

Then there is the PIT International Logistics Centre, which still sits there vacant. Dicks Sporting Goods appears to take over this site (labeled "Northfield Phase 1") in this now dated schematic:

However, it still appears in the final environmental assessment for the TMP dated January 2018 (much more recent)
I hope that remains the case. Dicks already had their land grab for a campus in the forest. They should have more than enough land within their current footprint for more buildings. Perhaps they can give up some of their baseball diamonds, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. Plus, they can expand to the west.

So, what to make of all this?

- Firstly, the ACAA has long been deficient in both air cargo facility development and service recruitment. There have been a few exceptions such as QR Cargo and the 30 or so China charters in 2010. Also the development of Cargo A. But there again, it is mostly leased to a non cargo entity, does not have its own suitable ramp, and the rest of that plan was abandoned:

- As we can see above, plans change and that's a good thing. Taxiway A has been extended (although in a haphazard way which we discussed months ago) and the Cargo 3 ramp expanded when needed.

So hopefully this marks a shift toward cargo for the ACAA. Because having a tiny bit of room in Cargo 1 with no ramp space (already taken by FX) is not gonna cut it if Prime Air decides to add PIT or DHL decides to make a return, both of which can happen tomorrow. Not to mention any possible future int'l cargo addition such as LH Cargo. Having QR Cargo back on a deice pad - even for just one flight - is a joke.
Last edited by flyPIT on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyPIT

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 pm

While looking things up for the above post, I came across this:
https://pittransformed.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Industry-Day-4-Construction-PreProposal-Presentation.pdf

Page 18-
Looks like the Short Term Garage/Ground Transportation Center for the TMP has shifted location. I'm not sure I like this layout. Maybe they didn't want the view of the new terminal's architecture to be blocked on the drive in? But I didn't think that was gonna be a problem the way it was, so I wonder what this is about. But they just made the walk from the back side of the garage to the southern end of the new terminal a lot longer than it was.

pgh234

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:01 am

It still makes my head hurt that they are demolishing the A & B terminal ends after losing all of those gates for the new terminal. I regularly fly out or arrive at gate A-21 when flying WN. That gate will no longer exist. This is a growing airport where you are already eliminating gates for the terminal project. Why would you do this?

Similar logic applies to the runway demo. I hope the FAA stops that stupidity. In 25 years they will start 40 years of consultant studies and NIMBY battles to bring it back.

I know I am beating a dead horse here...

Flaps

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:36 am

Flyi said it all when he mentioned that having QR back on the device pad is a joke. Add to that:

The terminal modernization is a joke.
Terminal operations are a joke
The ACAA itself is a joke

It is what it is and we are unfortunately stuck with it.

Runway28L

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Yet another rare visitor planned, an Omni B762 from MSP listed for later today.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/OY366

flyPIT

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:49 am

The Omni 762 departed for Langley AFB, Tidewater VA.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/OAE320/history/20190616/0115Z/KPIT/KLFI

Does it seem like the military related charters have increased significantly since the C-17s arrived?

Delta28L

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:00 pm

flyPIT wrote:
The Omni 762 departed for Langley AFB, Tidewater VA.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/OAE320/history/20190616/0115Z/KPIT/KLFI

Does it seem like the military related charters have increased significantly since the C-17s arrived?

Probably doing charter flights for all the military training that goes on over the summer for the national guard and other the military divisions that are around Pittsburgh. I know three people who are on training missions right now and another one leaves in the middle of July.

Runway28L

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Once again... another military charter. A National B752 from March ARB, California.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/N8316

They just keep on comin’

flyPIT

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Runway widening work at LBE could start in Sept. Regarding funding:

"Progress on the project depends on the Federal Aviation Administration approving 95% of the funding, a key factor that should be known by next month, according to Kunselman. The authority will cover the remaining 5%."
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/arnold-palmer-airport-hvac-update-set-runway-widening-options-eyed/

This is one reason why closing 10R/28L at PIT is ridiculous. The runway needs reconstructed but the feds pick up the vast majority of costs associated with these kinds of projects. If it's not spent at PIT it will be spent somewhere else.

ConcourseZ

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Once again... another military charter. A National B752 from March ARB, California.

They just keep on comin’

The 911th has four of their 8 C-17s on station. Can't remember where the other four are operating from atm. This could be ferrying crews to/from the 911th to wherever the planes are stationed. Or, ferrying equipment/supplies as the 911th readies for operating and maintaining all 8 ships when fully operational. Or, military personnel being ferried to PIT for tx to C-17s. Any other possibilities?

Delta28L

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:56 pm

flyPIT wrote:

"Progress on the project depends on the Federal Aviation Administration approving 95% of the funding, a key factor that should be known by next month, according to Kunselman. The authority will cover the remaining 5%."
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/arnold-palmer-airport-hvac-update-set-runway-widening-options-eyed/

This is one reason why closing 10R/28L at PIT is ridiculous. The runway needs reconstructed but the feds pick up the vast majority of costs associated with these kinds of projects. If it's not spent at PIT it will be spent somewhere else.

PIT does not need four run ways. Two maybe three runways is good enough. 10R/C could be closed and rebuilt as one runway into the new 10R

flyPIT

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:10 pm

Delta28L wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

PIT does not need four run ways. Two maybe three runways is good enough. 10R/C could be closed and rebuilt as one runway into the new 10R

I agree PIT does not “need” 4 runways. 10C/28C was recently completely rebuilt so it’s not going anywhere. From an operational standpoint however it makes most sense to close it and keep 10R/28L open. The reasons were discussed at great length in this forum about a year ago.

I’m not sure I understand what you are saying with your last sentence?

Runway28L

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:42 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

They just keep on comin’

The 911th has four of their 8 C-17s on station. Can't remember where the other four are operating from atm. This could be ferrying crews to/from the 911th to wherever the planes are stationed. Or, ferrying equipment/supplies as the 911th readies for operating and maintaining all 8 ships when fully operational. Or, military personnel being ferried to PIT for tx to C-17s. Any other possibilities?

There is a fifth airframe the 911th has, tail 89-1189, that is not on station yet. The last three however, I haven’t found any images or information anywhere regarding them, so I don’t think they have been transferred to the 911th yet.

Delta28L

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Catering truck ran into a parked SWA 737 this morning at gate A1 around 1030

Runway28L

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:38 am

Frontier's schedule extension is out. PIT-DEN/PBI have been completely axed. However, PIT-MCO is making a return... Sun/Tue/Thu on an A321.

ConcourseZ

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 am

Runway28L wrote:
Frontier's schedule extension is out. PIT-DEN/PBI have been completely axed. However, PIT-MCO is making a return... Sun/Tue/Thu on an A321.

Can't figure out what this airline's MO is. Do they just constantly move aircraft around to routes most profitable at the moment then move out of those markets when aircraft can be more profitable somewhere else? Seems like their markets are in constant flux.

mutu

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 am

flyPIT wrote:
steeler83 wrote:
Regarding the cancellation of LHR-PIT-LHR, I'd have to agree with those saying it's more about available a/c and rescheduling the pax than it is about the route's performance. BA thought would be easier to cancel that flight and reroute 200 people through, JFK, PHL, or ORD via AA, or reschedule some pax on a later flight. This has nothing to do with the performance of the flight itself. Suppose this was a flight operated by a 747 or A380 and they were able to utiilze one of the planes on LHR-JFK or the 744 on LHR-PHL. Would that lead to speculation that LHR-JFK or LHR-PHL is in trouble???

Let me know next time BA cancels a JFK r/t to rescue a one way flight stranded in JNB or HKG or wherever. It doesn't happen. And if it did I would find it equally peculiar. Off the top of my head BA could have cancelled a B787 flight to BWI, SJC, BNA, YYC (and that's only N.America) or any number of LGW based B777 leisure flights (which I would think are lower yielding) to rescue this Durban diversion. That it was the PIT flight is a legitimate point. If you don't think BA considered the loads and revenue of the day's r/t PIT flight (both passenger and cargo) in comparison to all these other places you are fooling yourself. BA could have routed passengers on AA from these other US destinations just as easily. Also, does BA have ticketing agreements with other airlines for such a situation like what is common among US carriers? If so, there is plenty of opportunity to get these pax out of JNB (LH,LX, AF, QR, etc.) and it would seem to make this even more unusual.

It was one round trip, I in no way am suggesting the PIT flight is "in trouble" or not meeting expectations. The reality is it is a newish flight and not as mature as the others so there is a way to go for it to develop.

[quote="Runway28L"]I quote]

I suspect the biggest factor in this decision is still the metal neutral JV with AA. So in effect it cost BA "nothing" to reroute the PIT rotation via numerous other AA/BA stations on a huge number of frequencies. (And JFK rotations do get cancelled quite regularly for a number of reasons, particularly if there is need of a frame and 10 loads can be squeezed into 11!)

flyPIT

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm

flyPIT wrote:
https://pittransformed.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Industry-Day-4-Construction-PreProposal-Presentation.pdf

Page 18-
Looks like the Short Term Garage/Ground Transportation Center for the TMP has shifted location. I'm not sure I like this layout. Maybe they didn't want the view of the new terminal's architecture to be blocked on the drive in? But I didn't think that was gonna be a problem the way it was, so I wonder what this is about. But they just made the walk from the back side of the garage to the southern end of the new terminal a lot longer than it was.

The more I compare this plan with the previous version, the longest walk from the garage does not look that much longer as I previously thought. Still a bit of an odd setup though. Should be some great spotting of 10L/28R from the top floor.

"Pittsburgh International Airport gets upgraded rating "
"Moody's Investor Services announced Monday that it had upgraded the rating on the Allegheny County Airport Authority's outstanding airport revenue bonds under the expectation that the authority would go forward with the $1.1 billion terminal modernization project.

The bonds have been upgraded from A2 to A3, and the rating outlook is stable.

In a press release, Moody's said the improved rating reflected the sustained, positive trajectory of enplanement growth at the airport and the authority's improving debt service coverage, leverage and cost per enplanement.

"This positive trend provides headroom for accommodating the additional debt required for financing the construction of the [terminal modernization] project," the release said.

Other positives that Moody's noted for Pittsburgh International was the lack of competition from other airports in the metro area, a diverse carrier base, and additional non-operating revenue sources from gas drilling royalty revenue, state gaming act revenue and passenger and customer facility charges.

As for the project itself, Moody's said the terminal modernization would "reduce the footprint of the airport... modestly reduce operating expenses, modernize the concession area and address inefficiencies in the current set up."
"
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2019/06/18/pittsburgh-international-airport-gets-upgraded.html

G4 to start SCE-PIE/SFD:
http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/university-park-airport-adds-service-to-florida-destinations,1480378/
That might take a few passengers away from NK at LBE. People who live in Johnstown, Altoona, etc.

There's a couple threads on Moxy; the latest is "He has revealed few details of his plan but has said the carrier likely will be based near a technology center other than Silicon Valley."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-17/ge-unit-to-supply-planes-for-david-neeleman-s-new-u-s-airline

There is some speculation on what "near" means. For example, the large tech center of Raleigh-Durham could be served via GSO because it is "near" the region. Personally, I don't think that is the context Neeleman intends. Instead I believe it will be the primary airport "near" a tech center (meaning RDU in that example).

This was my take:
Lets look at the nation's largest major tech centers in no particular order:
SJC - Eliminated
SFO - Capacity issues and lots of competition
SEA - Capacity issues and lots of competition
BOS - Capacity issues and lots of competition
AUS
DEN - Major hub competition
SLC - Major hub competition
IAD - Major hub competition
RDU

So that really leaves only RDU and AUS as major tech centers that have capacity and are not dominated by a major hub carrier. Besides, the others don't fit the profile of "under served smaller markets" that Moxy is said to take advantage of.

Then there are the up and coming tech centers such as IND, PIT, and CMH that more fit the smaller under served profile.

Thinking even more about it, both RDU and AUS are not exactly starving for service. They both serve over 13 million passengers a year, have multiple carriers to Europe, and have a strong LCC/ULCC network.

As for PIT, I'm sure Neeleman remembers that the market did not support JetBlue as expected when they first entered PIT and the years that followed. OTOH, they are still here whereas they entered CMH and pulled out and have yet to enter IND.

Runway28L

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Here's the schedule for Frontier's MCO resumption. Unsure if this is seasonal or year-round:

F91174 321 MCO 0700 PIT 0930
F91175 321 PIT 1039 MCO 1319

The destinations page for PIT on F9's site is very misleading and seriously needs to be updated. It still states that they serve ATL, ORD, PBI, LAS, and SAN, many of which have long been gone. It even says they serve MSO ( :confused: ) which they obviously never have.

flyPIT wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Page 18-

The more I compare this plan with the previous version, the longest walk from the garage does not look that much longer as I previously thought. Still a bit of an odd setup though. Should be some great spotting of 10L/28R from the top floor.

I bet they moved the garage over there to try and accommodate more surface parking. I remember that was a complaint on here when the initial design was released.

That far end of the garage sure does look appealing for 28R departures or 10L arrivals, even better for ramp activity near Concourse A and D. That should be a great spot in addition to the new observations decks.

flyPIT

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:57 pm

United overtook AA as PIT's second largest airline in terms of ASK. Not surprising.

Interesting analogy of Delta's trans-Atlantic strategy from medium sized US cities. They are #1 in size at IND, CVG, and RDU. They are #4 at PIT:
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/reports/delta-air-lines-shifts-its-non-hub-flights-serving-paris-476712

A few historic Connie pics at PIT:
https://blueskypit.com/2019/06/17/this-day-in-history-connies-first-round-the-world-trip/

AaronPGH

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:49 am

How does UA's PIT traffic compare to RDU? A cursory glance at routes, frequencies, and aircraft size seems that they're similar, and UA is building a lounge out down there. I wonder if we could potentially see one here.

Delta28L

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 am

AaronPGH wrote:
How does UA's PIT traffic compare to RDU? A cursory glance at routes, frequencies, and aircraft size seems that they're similar, and UA is building a lounge out down there. I wonder if we could potentially see one here.

SFO and DEN are all maineline. ORD and EWR is mixture of express and maineline. IAD and IAH are express flights with the occasional upgrade depending on season. Wish they did LAX as a red eye arrival and afternoon departure.

ncflyer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:44 am

On the RDU thread they claimed the UA lounge was in large part about capturing/satisfying Asian premium traffic. Perhaps Lenovo gives UA a lot of front cabin business.

ConcourseZ

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Interesting article in Bloomberg about the collapse of tourism in Iceland......a major part played by the collapse of WW. PIT wasn't alone in high O&D traffic I assume.

PITexpress

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm

flyPIT wrote:
With a 94% LF on F9, (PBI) look for them to drop that route for next year.

Runway28L wrote:

Looks like you guessed it! Way to go Frontier. Where's that sarcasm emoji?

flyPIT

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:37 pm

PITexpress wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
With a 94% LF on F9, (PBI) look for them to drop that route for next year.

Runway28L wrote:

Looks like you guessed it! Way to go Frontier. Where's that sarcasm emoji?

Yep, I saw that coming a mile away. For the life of me I can't figure out F9. A 94% LF on a monopoly route and they have a boatload of airplanes coming.

Delta28L

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Frontier is the only airline I know that isn’t happy with a 94% load factor

Gsasala

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Frontier is the only airline I know that isn’t happy with a 94% load factor

It makes no sense to me at all, the reason why a airline would drop a route is due to; not enough people fly on that route, they could use that aircraft the better purposes, or to much compition. But none of this happing. 94% load factor is extremely high, they have plenty aircraft, and last there's very little compition. I know when I talked to the CEO he said that he was proud to be the most profitable airline in the world, so maybe them dropping and adding routes is a way for them to be really profitable

PITexpress

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Gsasala wrote:
It makes no sense to me at all, the reason why a airline would drop a route is due to; not enough people fly on that route, they could use that aircraft the better purposes, or to much compition. But none of this happing. 94% load factor is extremely high, they have plenty aircraft, and last there's very little compition. I know when I talked to the CEO he said that he was proud to be the most profitable airline in the world, so maybe them dropping and adding routes is a way for them to be really profitable

It just seems that if a particular route is only going to be around for ~6 months, wouldn't a decent percentage of the route's lifespan be spent just telling customers about the new route? (Not like F9 advertises around here though at still managed to get a 94% LF) What frustrates me is that they could have a nice little operation at PIT, but seemingly choose not to. SAN, DEN, PBI, MCO, LAS, TTN/PHL/NYC seems very feasible to me at least.

Delta28L

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 pm

PITexpress wrote:
Gsasala wrote:

It just seems that if a particular route is only going to be around for ~6 months, wouldn't a decent percentage of the route's lifespan be spent just telling customers about the new route? (Not like F9 advertises around here though at still managed to get a 94% LF) What frustrates me is that they could have a nice little operation at PIT, but seemingly choose not to. SAN, DEN, PBI, MCO, LAS, TTN/PHL/NYC seems very feasible to me at least.

SAN-no competition
DEN-main hub
PBI-no competition unless you count FLL
TTN-no competition

flyPIT

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:27 pm

"American Beefs Up Flights to Miami and D.C.

American Airlines operates more daily departures at Pittsburgh International Airport than any other carrier, and in September, they’ll be offering more.

Highlights include a 50 percent increase in frequency and capacity on flights to Miami from PIT, with three daily flights to Miami International Airport. Additionally, flights to Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C., will increase to five weekday trips with the addition of a noon departure from PIT.

These schedule adjustments, which were spurred by aircraft availability, occur in September. Other increases in seat capacity or frequency include service from PIT to LaGuardia in New York, Chicago-O’Hare, Charlotte and Dallas/Ft. Worth.
"
https://blueskypit.com/2019/06/17/american-beefs-up-flights-to-miami-and-d-c/?fbclid=IwAR3LsxjVVPST7915KVBG73_Wtw0ADarteY5VdThuPtLA4RtjEJ49H9zDFN8

In Sept of last year
- Wasn't PIT-MIA 3x daily, with at least 2 flights E170s? So that would actually be a decrease in capacity over this Sept, not a 50% increase.
- Wasn't PIT-DCA 5x daily?
- Wasn't PIT-LGA 7x daily? (although I'm not 100% on that one)
- Wasn't PIT-DFW 5x daily? And it's still set to go back to 4x daily in Dec.
- Wasn't PIT-PHL 6x daily? So this would be a drop of 1 daily.

At its recent peak wasn't PIT-ORD 7x daily with at least 4 of them mainline? So that's a drop heading in to Sept.

The BlueSky website and PIT FB page can be quite the propaganda machine at times. Of course there will be adjustments from season to season. What matters is year over year changes and I don't see anything at all here other than the ramp up of PIT-JFK come Nov.

There just hasn't been anything new for them to talk about at PIT since April 2.

JetBlue operating an A321 on BOS-PIT-BOS today:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU1485/history/20190621/1211Z/KBOS/KPIT

Runway28L

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm

flyPIT wrote:
"American Beefs Up Flights to Miami and D.C.

American Airlines operates more daily departures at Pittsburgh International Airport than any other carrier, and in September, they’ll be offering more.

Highlights include a 50 percent increase in frequency and capacity on flights to Miami from PIT, with three daily flights to Miami International Airport. Additionally, flights to Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C., will increase to five weekday trips with the addition of a noon departure from PIT.

These schedule adjustments, which were spurred by aircraft availability, occur in September. Other increases in seat capacity or frequency include service from PIT to LaGuardia in New York, Chicago-O’Hare, Charlotte and Dallas/Ft. Worth.
"
https://blueskypit.com/2019/06/17/american-beefs-up-flights-to-miami-and-d-c/?fbclid=IwAR3LsxjVVPST7915KVBG73_Wtw0ADarteY5VdThuPtLA4RtjEJ49H9zDFN8

In Sept of last year
- Wasn't PIT-MIA 3x daily, with at least 2 flights E170s? So that would actually be a decrease in capacity over this Sept, not a 50% increase.
- Wasn't PIT-DCA 5x daily?
- Wasn't PIT-LGA 7x daily? (although I'm not 100% on that one)
- Wasn't PIT-DFW 5x daily? And it's still set to go back to 4x daily in Dec.
- Wasn't PIT-PHL 6x daily? So this would be a drop of 1 daily.

At its recent peak wasn't PIT-ORD 7x daily with at least 4 of them mainline? So that's a drop heading in to Sept.

The BlueSky website and PIT FB page can be quite the propaganda machine at times. Of course there will be adjustments from season to season. What matters is year over year changes and I don't see anything at all here other than the ramp up of PIT-JFK come Nov.

There just hasn't been anything new for them to talk about at PIT since April 2.

JetBlue operating an A321 on BOS-PIT-BOS today:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU1485/history/20190621/1211Z/KBOS/KPIT

The majority of those changes are valid. DCA has been 4x daily for quite some time (if it was 5x daily, it was pre-merger). MIA was 2x daily last fall (one ERJ, one E175). PHL is getting cut down to 5x daily which I mentioned in the last AA schedule change. LGA has flipped back and forth between 6x and 7x daily (I’m also not sure what it was a year ago, though I believe it was 6x daily mostly on E140s).

DFW has always gone down to 4x daily in December, so that’s nothing new. I don’t think CLT saw any equipment or frequency changes in the last update, but I will have to check.

Regarding the JetBlue A321, B61785 cancelled last night and B61485 itself was significantly delayed this morning, so definitely an attempt to reaccomodate passengers.

flyPIT

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Runway28L wrote:
The majority of those changes are valid. DCA has been 4x daily for quite some time (if it was 5x daily, it was pre-merger). MIA was 2x daily last fall (one ERJ, one E175). PHL is getting cut down to 5x daily which I mentioned in the last AA schedule change. LGA has flipped back and forth between 6x and 7x daily (I’m also not sure what it was a year ago, though I believe it was 6x daily mostly on E140s).

DFW has always gone down to 4x daily in December, so that’s nothing new. I don’t think CLT saw any equipment or frequency changes in the last update, but I will have to check.

So DFW, CLT, PHX are unchanged, ORD and PHL are down one, and DCA and MIA are up one. Again, comparing yoy not Aug --> Sept. Other than NYC it's a wash. I recall the OAG had PIT-MIA at 4x daily at one point but was corrected to 3x before service was increased.

flyPIT

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 pm

JetBlue also operated an A320 last night to BOS.

"Cincinnati developer keeps adding more buildings near the Pittsburgh airport"

"The developer has been selected to erect up to four buildings at the 30-acre McClaren Business Park, a piece of land controlled by the Allegheny County Airport Authority
."
https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2019/06/21/Pittsburgh-airport-Cincinnati-developer-Neyer-warehouse-McClaren/stories/201906210112

Runway28L

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm

I took a look again at AA on PIT-PHL this upcoming September. Goes down to 5x daily as mentioned prior, but the route goes entirely mainline (three A319s, two E190s).

Comparing to today’s schedule, looks like a minuscule reduction in total seats (589 vs 582).

JamesRenard

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:11 am

AA's mainline service to LGA and DCA was recently extended through to Oct 2nd, so all of September is now covered. LGA-PIT has one flight with an E190, while DCA-PIT has two. Neither airport had any mainline service at all during 2018. That's definitely a capacity boost.

flyPIT

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 am

Re PIT-PHL, only 4 of the flights will be mainline in September. My point was when they state “increases in seat capacity or frequency” and list 6 cities it makes it seem like a significant expansion when it’s not when yoy is compared, and especially so when not looking at reductions such as to PHL or eliminating BOS. Comparing one month to the next and ignoring yoy is disingenuous imho. This is the same outlet that stated Condor will be offering up to 3x weekly service.

JamesRenard

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 am

I pulled up the scheduled service table from September 2018. Here are all the American flights that were on it, and how September 2019 compares in parentheses. The Mon-Fri number is the total number of weekday flights in one week, the total number is all flights over four weeks:

• BOS: Mon-Fri 15 (0), Sat 1 (0), Sun 3 (0), Total 76 (0)
  • CLT: Mon-Fri 45 (45), Sat 8 (8), Sun 8 (9), Total 244 (248)
  • DCA: Mon-Fri 20 (25), Sat 2 (3), Sun 3 (4), Total 100 (128)
  • DFW: Mon-Fri 25 (25), Sat 3 (4), Sun 5 (5), Total 132 (136)
  • JFK: Mon-Fri 5 (5), Sat 1 (1), Sun 1 (1), Total 28 (28)
  • LGA: Mon-Fri 34 (35), Sat 2 (2), Sun 6 (7), Total 168 (176)
  • MIA: Mon-Fri 10 (15), Sat 2 (3), Sun 2 (3), Total 56 (84)
  • ORD: Mon-Fri 30 (30), Sat 4 (3), Sun 6 (6), Total 160 (156)
  • PHL: Mon-Fri 25 (25), Sat 4 (4), Sun 6 (4), Total 140 (132)
  • PHX: Mon-Fri 9 (8), Sat 1 (1), Sun 2 (2), Total 48 (44)
  • RDU: Mon-Fri 10 (5), Sat 2 (1), Sun 2 (1), Total 56 (28)

flyPIT

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:05 am

Runway28L

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 pm

JamesRenard

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 am

It looks as though 28R/10L is closed at the moment. I watched some takeoffs and landings on Thursday and Sunday, aircraft were using 28L/10R and 28C/10C both days.

Runway28L

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 am

JamesRenard wrote:
It looks as though 28R/10L is closed at the moment. I watched some takeoffs and landings on Thursday and Sunday, aircraft were using 28L/10R and 28C/10C both days.

They have been doing electrical work on the runways this spring and summer. I believe that is the case here with 10L/28R. There was a NOTAM up until 6/30 so it should be back open soon.

ConcourseZ

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 am

Runway28L wrote:

Any thoughts on Omni out of SNN?

Runway28L

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Here’s what will happen with the jetbridges on Concourse C and D:
https://blueskypit.com/2019/06/20/pit-r ... struction/

It also gives a timeline on when construction of the new terminal starts. Final bids are due July 17 and groundbreaking is slated for October 8.

Delta28L

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

Any thoughts on Omni out of SNN?

Probably a military charter

flyPIT

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm

I always thought PIT would have been a great gateway for Military Airlift Command troop charters during the hub days. These were (and in some cases still are) centered at PHL (since moved to BWI), ATL, DFW, STL (since eliminated), and probably several more. It was common to see ATA L-1011s, World MD-11s, Omni DC-10s, etc on a daily basis at these airports. They all offered good geographic location and a legacy hub airline to feed those flights with commercial tickets. PIT had all that plus plenty of int'l gate space.

Just like letting BA go in 1999 without any kind of serious effort to keep them, failing to build a serious logistics/cargo presence, and the failure to develop aviation related industry on airport land, I too see this as a lost opportunity for previous ACAA administrations. Probably a moot point now however, without a hub.

Runway28L wrote:
Here’s what will happen with the jetbridges on Concourse C and D:
https://blueskypit.com/2019/06/20/pit-r ... struction/
It also gives a timeline on when construction of the new terminal starts. Final bids are due July 17 and groundbreaking is slated for October 8.

My understanding is the July 17 bid is for the jetway bid only, and is actually the first of many different bids.
"Additional enabling projects, expected to be bid and awarded through March 2020, include capping the aircraft hydrant fueling system that runs beneath the construction site, and preparing construction site access for crews and equipment to enter and exit."

The October 8 ground breaking is ceremonial only. According to this (page 23)
construction is not scheduled to begin until late 2020. It's silly to have a ceremonial ground breaking a year before construction begins.

ConcourseZ

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 am

Never saw this before. FlightAware had Steel 73 on their arrival list with their flight route (local training) but did not show the aircraft on the tracking map.

ConcourseZ

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 am

Interesting how BA schedules the 788 for the PIT-LHR route. Here's the history for today's BA 171, tail G-ZBJC.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-zbjc

Delta28L

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 am

ConcourseZ wrote:
Never saw this before. FlightAware had Steel 73 on their arrival list with their flight route (local training) but did not show the aircraft on the tracking map.

Where did it originate and what type of plane was it?

Runway28L

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:37 am

That was one of the 171st’s KC-135s. They almost always use the STEEL callsign for local sorties. You can track them on OpenADSB, though sometimes they may not show up.

FWIW the 911th uses PITT as their callsign.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos