Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:26 pm

I’m sure they will look fine. My brain is stuck on 747 special liveries I guess!

I have a couple other thoughts that came to me wile running errands- totally different topic but about Unied’s Fleet Upgrades.
Polaris seats!
-Where are they manufactured? And can one factory location manage the entire order?
- I would assume the manufacturer is working on making aircraft seats for other airlines too?
- Do they arrive fully assembled, then installed?
- Or do they arrive in pieces and need to be assembled on site where refurbs are being done?
- How bespoke are Polaris seats? I think the base design basically existed then customized, or were they designed top to bottom to be entirely unique to UA?
Thanks for any information- it’s just a curiosity that I’d love to know!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

77H

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 am

jayunited wrote:
77H wrote:
I found it interesting that none of UA’s new color schemes have gold. Personally I’m disappointed they’ve moved away from it. I always thought the gold cheatline could be a bit thicker. Not wavey but thicker.
77H

This is a direct copy and paste from Flying Together, it is part of a much larger article on UA changing and updated our brand.

What’s happening to gold?

We’re reducing the amount of gold we use as it was added to our color palette more than 20 years ago when the color was much more common and popular in design. These days, gold can tend to feel corporate, elite and somewhat old-school, and our shift to some of our new colors represents a more sleek and high-tech feel. Therefore, we have begun introducing other hues of our new color palette – like a few of our purples and blues – in areas where we used to feature gold. https://ft.ual.com/news/2019/02/19/our-new-colors

We all know the day is coming when UA will debut a new livery Oscar shelved the new livery project when he became CEO for reasons we've already discussed in other threads. However the team in charge of this project is now slowly introducing new color schemes into the United brand and would estimate we are only 2-4 years away from a new livery launching. The now merged UA has a lot of employees who have 30-70 years of service who are 58-70+ years of age and there will be a slew of retirements starting in the next 2-3 years which will continue for probably at least 7 years. Once these veterans of the old legacy CO and UA start retiring I think the new livery will launch and the old thing that will remain of legacy CO will be the globe on the tail, but all traces of gold will be gone. Its a slow process but again that is by design because there are still to many employees who have ties to the tulip (now gone) and the current CO livery. At some point UA has to leave both legacy UA and CO in the past and move forward and United and we are at the starting gate now but I do appreciate Oscars approach because what you don't want is to have your new brand tarnished by bitter employees. That isn't meant as a dig, nor is it a reflection on all UA employees but we can't rewrite history and UA has had some major gaffes.

That makes sense but UA is clearly pandering to the “corporate” travel crowd as evident with the high-J configurations on their Polaris fitted WB fleet. While I understand the white collar workforce is slowly moving toward the millennial generation, that by and large appreciates a more stylish look; I think UA runs the risk of looking like a large LCC with some of the colors they’ve chosen. Rather than a top tier global carrier.

Sure the exCon livery is dated but it does look professional even after all these years. I just saw a picture on Instagram of a UA MAX9 with a DL 739 in the foreground and my immediate reaction was how much more professional the DL livery looked compared to the “Dreamliner” livery which harkens back to the Smisek era.

Case in point, the AA livery, that has grown on me since it’s introduction looks childish compared to DL and UA’s standard livery.

Just my opinion.

77H

VC10er

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm

77H wrote:
jayunited wrote:
77H wrote:
I found it interesting that none of UA’s new color schemes have gold. Personally I’m disappointed they’ve moved away from it. I always thought the gold cheatline could be a bit thicker. Not wavey but thicker.
77H

This is a direct copy and paste from Flying Together, it is part of a much larger article on UA changing and updated our brand.

We’re reducing the amount of gold we use as it was added to our color palette more than 20 years ago when the color was much more common and popular in design. These days, gold can tend to feel corporate, elite and somewhat old-school, and our shift to some of our new colors represents a more sleek and high-tech feel. Therefore, we have begun introducing other hues of our new color palette – like a few of our purples and blues – in areas where we used to feature gold. https://ft.ual.com/news/2019/02/19/our-new-colors

We all know the day is coming when UA will debut a new livery Oscar shelved the new livery project when he became CEO for reasons we've already discussed in other threads. However the team in charge of this project is now slowly introducing new color schemes into the United brand and would estimate we are only 2-4 years away from a new livery launching. The now merged UA has a lot of employees who have 30-70 years of service who are 58-70+ years of age and there will be a slew of retirements starting in the next 2-3 years which will continue for probably at least 7 years. Once these veterans of the old legacy CO and UA start retiring I think the new livery will launch and the old thing that will remain of legacy CO will be the globe on the tail, but all traces of gold will be gone. Its a slow process but again that is by design because there are still to many employees who have ties to the tulip (now gone) and the current CO livery. At some point UA has to leave both legacy UA and CO in the past and move forward and United and we are at the starting gate now but I do appreciate Oscars approach because what you don't want is to have your new brand tarnished by bitter employees. That isn't meant as a dig, nor is it a reflection on all UA employees but we can't rewrite history and UA has had some major gaffes.

That makes sense but UA is clearly pandering to the “corporate” travel crowd as evident with the high-J configurations on their Polaris fitted WB fleet. While I understand the white collar workforce is slowly moving toward the millennial generation, that by and large appreciates a more stylish look; I think UA runs the risk of looking like a large LCC with some of the colors they’ve chosen. Rather than a top tier global carrier.

Sure the exCon livery is dated but it does look professional even after all these years. I just saw a picture on Instagram of a UA MAX9 with a DL 739 in the foreground and my immediate reaction was how much more professional the DL livery looked compared to the “Dreamliner” livery which harkens back to the Smisek era.

Case in point, the AA livery, that has grown on me since it’s introduction looks childish compared to DL and UA’s standard livery.

Just my opinion.

77H

I who have zero clue about how the new color palette will be used, will simply add my 2¢ as a branding professional. There is a HUGE difference between brand color changes to certain things like neck ties/scarves and small accents that could come to amenity kits and pillows versus a new livery, permanent signage, permanent interior fixtures like seats and bulkheads and a new massive ad campaign (Eg; expensive to change). I have seen only 2 pictures of WIP uniforms that may have been floated out there intentionally to gauge the level of rejection vs “I love it” - so far I’ve only read negative comments about it (some viciously negative) but only on social media which is the #1 most unscientific way to garner feedback, as haters tend to be way more vocal that lovers. Writing sarcastic or nasty things is a way people can vent anonymously. I’m sure that UA is conducting more scientific and reliable research. The only potential issue is the quality and methodologies used by the researchers and MOSTLY how good the actual researchers are.
Just like anything else, there are truly gifted research people who use data to inform their conclusions, the who have very keen instincts and know when to set aside negative results and see the truth behind or underneath them. Unfortunately it’s been my experience most researchers are mediocre, and worse, some are brainless, take data only at face value, lack vision and can even cause harm if they lack the talent to obtain the TRUE “insights”.
I would like to believe that Oscar would A: not follow research out the window B: rely more on instinct and his best advisers and use a 300 page report of Quaitative and Quantitative (in market tests) to help make decisions and NOT have research MAKE the decision.
I would venture to guess that Steve Jobs did not use focus groups to help name and design Apple products. In fact I would bet everything that the name MacIntosh or Apple would have NOT scored well in research at the beginning, It would have BOMBED in research, and something expected like “Compaq” or “Comutek” would have scored better. Consumers cannot help you validate a vision of something totally unexpected that doesn’t exist yet.
Back to United’s livery, 1: currently, while often criticized, it doesn’t seem to be hurting business, 2: I think we all can pretty much see where United has been heading through already implemented new branded applications. 3: I would bet that they are not going to throw away the baby, if anything they will design something aligned with and supports their new brand promise- appeal to the next generation of premium business travelers (not me) but more stylish than a financial institution’s conservative brand look.
(I know that TAM was never researched, the latest version with the blue seagull flying over TAM, was designed by an advertising agency, then approved by the CEO and done!). I also IMHO think it’s seriously amateurish looking)
On the other hand, their arch enemy VARIG was very thoughtful when they launched the new livery of the “Compass-Sun”- unfortunately it was too little too late.

SFOtoORD

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:48 pm

United needs a clean new brand with hints of the past woven in, but ultimately fresh and forward looking. I feel like that best aligns w what Oscar is trying to create more broadly at United.

cosyr

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
United needs a clean new brand with hints of the past woven in, but ultimately fresh and forward looking. I feel like that best aligns w what Oscar is trying to create more broadly at United.

I agree that a clean new brand could give a shot in the arm to both employees and customers, but with the hideous change that AA made, it just makes me nervous. CO's livery is dated, but it's not ugly. UA's rising blue livery was very nice, but it would be pointless to go back to the tulip, as that will just flip things to different past emotions. If Copa hadn't already taken it, their version of the globe would have been a nice evolution. Given that Polaris is expanding, and clubs are rebuilding, and customer service and perceptions are repairing, now's the time to start exploring the future (which I bet they are), but they should take their time. Don't be hasty, get it right. Spend lots of money on it, and do focus groups. Include employees in the process, unlike what AA did.

No matter what they do, I don't think it's going to be an evolution of the brand situation, like DL. I think it is going to be a big change in logo, like CO going from Meatball to globe.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:11 am

Please keep the thread on topic. Flamebait will be removed, so let's please not rehash the same old arguments.

✈️ atcsundevil

jayunited

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 am

cosyr wrote:
I agree that a clean new brand could give a shot in the arm to both employees and customers, but with the hideous change that AA made, it just makes me nervous. CO's livery is dated, but it's not ugly. UA's rising blue livery was very nice, but it would be pointless to go back to the tulip, as that will just flip things to different past emotions. If Copa hadn't already taken it, their version of the globe would have been a nice evolution. Given that Polaris is expanding, and clubs are rebuilding, and customer service and perceptions are repairing, now's the time to start exploring the future (which I bet they are), but they should take their time. Don't be hasty, get it right. Spend lots of money on it, and do focus groups. Include employees in the process, unlike what AA did.

No matter what they do, I don't think it's going to be an evolution of the brand situation, like DL. I think it is going to be a big change in logo, like CO going from Meatball to globe.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
Your comment is 100% accurate and this is exactly what I believe UA is doing, time will tell if UA gets it right like DL did. I know there was a lot of controversy over the proposed new FA's uniforms and a lot of people went crazy but the reason UA is rolling out things this way is to try and get it right. Oscar a few days after the proposed uniforms were previewed came out with a statement to let the FA's know these were just proposal and there would be a test period where employees across all divisions would be able to test wear all the pieces and the number of employees wearing the test clothing would be greatly expanded beyond what UA did right after the merger when only 800 employees were included in the test which yielded the current uniforms.
I know UA is also conducting test at Willis Tower with some of our most loyal G.S. and 1K passenger for new lie flat seats coming to the 737-10MAX just like they did for Polaris. I don't know if they are using seats already in the industry or if UA is designing its own seat for now that whole project is a secret just like Polaris was until the unveiling unfortunately just like Polaris I don't have access so I haven't seen the seats.
As far as the livery we can only cross our fingers and hope that what ever the new livery ends up being its representative of the new UA not the old UA or CO.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:32 am

39M:
N37514 entered SEA Induction 2715/1Mar

753:
N57852 exited MIA 2745/28Feb with slimlines and new F seats.

772:
N215UA sked to exit HKG maint 2760/3Mar

77W:
N2644UA sked to exit SFO 888/4Mar, not showing PE on seat map yet.

78X:
N16008 in FTW for paint, (LN822 is not delivered yet).

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:08 pm

The fleet changes and fleet status posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil

gwrudolph

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Speaking of fleet mods, I was just on one or the Polaris modified 763s from ORD to LHR the other evening. I was in Economy Plus. I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how they refurbished the aircraft from nose to tail including sidewalks, cabin dividers, overheads, under-overhead components, side walls, seats, carpets, lavs, etc. It looked like a brand new airplane. Good job UA! Now if only they would have done the same to the 753s . . .

kaitakfan

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm

N666UA flew its test hop yesterday. Any update when she will be ready to come home?

VC10er

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 pm

cosyr wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

I would just like to add something. United needs to be extremely smart about “focus groups”. I have been behind the 2 way mirror a hundred times testing design. Everything depends on 2 things, the quality and talent of the researchers and moderator. Listening and the interpretation of what consumers say is critical- just because a handful of people say they dislike it DOES NOT mean it’s wrong, and don’t over-read into designs consumers like a lot. Why? The average person (while probably being honest) cannot validate a vision a brand has of the future. Sometimes (and I’ve witnessed it a couple of times) one comment from one person out of 60 people across multiple focus groups will say something so insightful, so eye opening, something you had not even considered because you’re so close to the process that the one comment can change everything!
The second thing is NOT to allow focus groups results to get in the way of the VISION that perhaps Oscar or someone else has. Few executives have the talent and vision and imagination of some potentially more famous visionary leaders- but trusting your gut, especially because you know the brand better than anyone is equally if not more important than a GS business flier from either a Chicago suburb or Manhattan resident.
Simply put: consumers most often lack the ability to judge what will work in the future as all their reference points come from what they know today, or the past. But they can pinpoint something you may have overlooked. Like: “United is not going to paint that beautiful new design on their old airplanes with old interiors, right?” - which is why much more fleet refurbishment needs to happen before a new livery.

sircygnus

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 am

Does United base their 737 Max’s at a single hub or are they spread throughout the system? I thought I remember a few going to IAH but wasn’t sure if that was all of them.

Cmac787

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 am

Houston and Los Angeles right now

VC10er

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 am

Has United discontinued the Polaris front bulkhead design? The one with the multiple tiles with a raised arch of the globe that’s lit branding and a bar of LED at the bottom to up-light it?
I have seen it on the 77W and once on a 763.
However I just saw 787-10 pictures and the bulkhead is just a solid blue-grey??? (Although a Polaris plaque seemed to be there)

adamblang

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:24 am

If you scroll half way down the page, there's an ok photo of the bulkhead: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/united ... s-lax-ewr/

It appears the multiple tiles with the negative-of-logo arch has been omitted.

FSDan

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 am

sircygnus wrote:
Does United base their 737 Max’s at a single hub or are they spread throughout the system? I thought I remember a few going to IAH but wasn’t sure if that was all of them.

IAH has the most 7M9 flights, with LAX and SFO both seeing some as well (including to Hawai'i from both airports). I don't believe they fly to any other hubs yet.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jayunited

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:03 pm

sircygnus wrote:

For right now because there are so few in the fleet they are confined to 3 hubs IAH, LAX and SFO.

This past weekend the MAX really demonstrated its more fuel efficient over the 739ER. One of our LAX-HNL flights was schedule to operated using a 739ER but do to upper level winds and being at max fuel tanks we would have been forced to leave 50 passengers behind and the remaining flights on UA from LAX on 757s were completely full. Long story short a plane swap was done from a 739ER to the MAX and not only were we able to go take all revenue passengers and a couple nonrevs we were also able to take some cargo. Point is the MAX aircraft are where they need to be especially as it pertains to LAX/SFO-Hawaii flights that aircraft alone saved 50 revenue customers vacation and probably kept UA from making the news again for all the wrong reasons.

The fuel efficiency of the MAX over the ER is just amazing. The aircraft itself may not be comfortable but it sure is fuel efficient and it didn't require max fuel either like the ER would have required to make it to HNL.

KVH68

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 pm

kaitakfan wrote:
N666UA flew its test hop yesterday. Any update when she will be ready to come home?

There are various issues that might take 5 days to complete.

VC10er

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 pm

adamblang wrote:
If you scroll half way down the page, there's an ok photo of the bulkhead: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/united ... s-lax-ewr/

It appears the multiple tiles with the negative-of-logo arch has been omitted.

Hi adamblang, thanks for the link! I’m actually surprised that the TPG review doesn’t mention the removal of that very branded bulkhead with the sculpted tiles etc. They usually catch every detail.

I wonder if it was cut due to cost or if they thought it was too much. Personally I loved it as it made the cabin of an aircraft that many other airlines have more uniquely UNITED inside. I was so pleasantly surprised and impressed the first time I saw it live. It conveyed real commitment to the completeness of Polaris (God is in the details!)

I wonder if they will remove them from the aircraft they are on? It’s always SO NOTICEABLE when something is subtracted!

codc10

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:00 pm

VC10er wrote:
I wonder if it was cut due to cost

Bingo!

jetblastdubai

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:08 pm

jayunited wrote:

This past weekend the MAX really demonstrated its more fuel efficient over the 739ER.
The fuel efficiency of the MAX over the ER is just amazing. The aircraft itself may not be comfortable but it sure is fuel efficient and it didn't require max fuel either like the ER would have required to make it to HNL.

I'm curious, is the extra capability due solely to better efficiency or does the MAX actually hold a bit more fuel?

Note: The airplane is more comfortable than sitting in an airport chair waiting for the next flight later that day/next day. It's all perspective.

LAXintl

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Fuel tank capacity on the MAX like NG come in with various options but for UA its essentially the same. The MAX big efficiency leap comes from the 15%+ fuel burn savings compared to NG siblings.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jayunited

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Fuel tank capacity on the MAX like NG come in with various options but for UA its essentially the same. The MAX big efficiency leap comes from the 15%+ fuel burn savings compared to NG siblings.

Exactly the max fuel capacity for UA's NG's is 46.0 and the max capacity for the MAX is 45.6. On Saturday the MAX was able to take everyone plus bags, cargo and a few nonrevs the cleared fuel was 43.8. The NG on the other hand had a planned cleared fuel of 45.4 and because we were at max tanks if we had stuck with the NG we would have been forced to leave 50 revenue passengers behind. So like you pointed out there is a substantial fuel burn savings when one compares the NG to the MAX.

VC10er

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 am

Are these the same fuel tank specs and fuel burn numbers for the MAX10?
I know the MAX10 is not that much bigger but it should weigh quite a bit more.
Last a MAX10 fitted with lie flats, are they lighter due to less pax, or does seat weight even those weight numbers out a bit? Thanks

ord

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:06 am

Recently somebody (LAXintl, it might have been you) had a very informative post on United's updated brand colors in this thread (why gold was transitioning away, why purple was being used, etc.), and for the life of me I can't find it. Does anybody remember the post number? Thanks for any help finding it!

FlyHossD

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:48 am

VC10er wrote:
Are these the same fuel tank specs and fuel burn numbers for the MAX10?
I know the MAX10 is not that much bigger but it should weigh quite a bit more.
Last a MAX10 fitted with lie flats, are they lighter due to less pax, or does seat weight even those weight numbers out a bit? Thanks

Fair questions. Until the first 737-10Max is built, we probably can only guess at the answers, but the expected MTOW for the -10Max is 3,200 pounds more than the -9Max. Guesstimating 2,500 pounds for the additional passengers would leave us at an additional structural weight of 700 pounds - though I find that hard to believe given the necessary changes to the (newly articulated) -10Max main landing gear and longer fuselage.

As always, time will tell...
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

calpsafltskeds

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 am

Boeing offers aux tanks, but UA has not taken them on the 738/739 or 739MAX. I thought one tank would have been a reasonable 739 addition for headwinds, especially to Hawaii.

If the MAX10 could use the extra fuel and still stay under MGTOW with a near full pax load with bags, the MAX10 could really work out nicely on Hawaii. However, I would think the extra fuel would eat up reduce payload too much.

calpsafltskeds

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:28 am

39M:
N37513 sked to exit SEA new delivery induction 2731/5Mar to LAX
N37514 sked to exit SEA new delivery induction 2732/6Mar to IAH

753:
N57855 sked to exit MIA 2737/5Mar with slimlines and new F seats, In MIA since 12/18/19
This completes UA's slimline program for domestic narrowbodied aircraft

77W:
N2644U did exit SFO today with PE installed

calpsafltskeds

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:03 pm

77W:
N2333U sked to exit SFO 58/5Mar with PE installed
N2645U entred SFO 2264/3Mar, probable PE

78X:
Note that UA shown to get 11 78X aircraft this year. 5 delivered while LN 814,822, 828 and rework 548 to be delivered by April (total 9).

On Google 787 Spreadsheet, it appears there's an error as LN 948, 950 & 964 all shown as 78X. That would equal 12, so expect one should be a 789.

emuwarveteran

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Are there gonna be any new route announcements soon now that new 78Xs are coming in?
CL CRJ9, W6 A320

jayunited

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:41 pm

emuwarveteran wrote:
Are there gonna be any new route announcements soon now that new 78Xs are coming in?

Most of the new long haul routes for 2019 have already been announced.

The long haul routes that will be upguaged to the 78X are
EWR-FRA, TLV, BCN, DUB, CDG, BRU

New routes coming in 2019
EWR-PRG, NAP
DEN-FRA
IAD-TLV
SFO-AMS, DEL, MEL

I may be forgetting a few destinations but in addition to the new routes there a few routes going year around.
SFO-PPT, AKL, MUC

A few flights being upguaged to larger aircraft the one that sticks out in my mind is
EWR-MAN going from a 752 to a 764.

There were so many announcements last year that go into effect starting spring 2019 that I can't think of them all off the top of my head and I don't have the time right now to look them all up.

codc10

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:35 pm

emuwarveteran wrote:

The 78Xs are pretty much spoken for with regard to the S19 season. UA will have 4-6 777s and 2-3 767s out of service at any given time for Polaris/PE upgrades, so while there is some growth available, there's also an urgency to complete the mod program and the company is investing a lot of resources into that project.

UAinAUS

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:51 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
78X:
Note that UA shown to get 11 78X aircraft this year. 5 delivered while LN 814,822, 828 and rework 548 to be delivered by April (total 9).

On Google 787 Spreadsheet, it appears there's an error as LN 948, 950 & 964 all shown as 78X. That would equal 12, so expect one should be a 789.

I believe that spreadsheet is correct, but LN964 is the first 2020 Delivery, so 8 total 78Xs delivered to UA in 2019 (plus 3 from 2018). 2020 will have both 789 and 78X deliveries.

AviationAddict

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm guessing this has been answered a million times already and I'm just dense and forgot but, besides the P.S. 752s, are the 737MAX aircraft scheduled to replace anything or are they all for growth?

Nicknuzzii

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 pm

On Wikipedia it says they are supposed to replace older 900ers but I'm not sure if I believe that too much. Aren't most of the 900ers newer? How old are the oldest ones?

FlyHossD

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 pm

AviationAddict wrote:
I'm guessing this has been answered a million times already and I'm just dense and forgot but, besides the P.S. 752s, are the 737MAX aircraft scheduled to replace anything or are they all for growth?

Seems like I've read that the UA 737-10Max aircraft will have lay-flat seats, so I suspect that's what will replace the PS 752s.

Nicknuzzii wrote:
On Wikipedia it says they are supposed to replace older 900ers but I'm not sure if I believe that too much. Aren't most of the 900ers newer? How old are the oldest ones?

The oldest 737-900 (non ER) was delivered to CO in May 2001, so they're not that old. Based on the fuel cost, I'd expect other, older types to get replaced first. IIRC, 3 Airbus 320s and 3 752PW aircraft will leave the fleet this calendar year.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

intotheair

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:40 pm

AviationAddict wrote:

I don’t think the Wikipedia descriptions for which aircraft is replacing “what” and which aircraft are being retired are accurate. As far as we know on here, the only aircraft being retired in the next year or so are some PW 752s and A320s. I don’t think there have been any rumblings of any 737 retirements.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Nicknuzzii

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:44 pm

UA claims that they would like to grow at LAX, this would clearly require a lot of work. Does anyone have any ideas of what routes they could add domestic or international? I could see,

International;
HND
FRA

Domestic;
PHL
CLT?
?

adamblang

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:42 am

Anything flown by a competitor not flown by them.

ord

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:17 am

jayunited wrote:

[/quote]

This is what I was looking for, only someone previously posted the full article. Would you be able to copy and paste the full article?

FSDan

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:33 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
UA claims that they would like to grow at LAX, this would clearly require a lot of work. Does anyone have any ideas of what routes they could add domestic or international? I could see,

International;
HND
FRA

Domestic;
PHL
CLT?
?

If you look at recent adjustments UA has made at LAX, there's a trend of backing out of very competitive markets (recently DFW, MEX; going back a bit further, PDX, MSY, MSP, etc.) and trying to carve out some niche markets that aren't served by other airlines: PSC, ACV, RDD, SCK, PRC, RAP, MSN, etc. I think domestic adds are likely to continue to be smaller markets west of the Mississippi. Perhaps FLG, ICT, or DSM. If they wanted to try something interesting on the international front, perhaps they could look at starting a winter-seasonal LAX-CHC flight in cooperation with NZ (788).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:07 am

ord wrote:
jayunited wrote:

This is what I was looking for, only someone previously posted the full article. Would you be able to copy and paste the full article?

Copying and pasting full articles is a copyright violation. Only fair use extracts are permitted.

VC10er

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I really have a burning curiosity over the following: Let’s use the new High J Premium Heavy 763 United is creating as an example. While it will seat many less passengers and their luggage, how much of that is offset by the weight of (46?) Polaris seats? I have to assume that given the layout and the infrastructure of the seat, that the weight would be higher than the weight of the Diamond seats they are replacing. Perhaps it’s a wash in the end if the vast majority of those Polaris seats are filled with paying passengers.
So the full weight of the High J 763, passengers and fuel, with roughly half the 763 with Polaris, then PE, and Economy will actually generate higher margins than the previous configuration?
Last, given weight distribution, is there any impact one way or the other of the old vs new High J configuration that would change anything about how the pilot operates the 763? Would they even “feel” a difference in how she handles?

This curiosity actually makes me think about the same things with a “lie flat” 737MAX-10. What would the impact be of lie flats vs recliners on a smaller single aisle aircraft, and MTOW, and fuel burn. Less pax potentially, heavier seats?

kaitakfan

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 pm

KVH68 wrote:
kaitakfan wrote:

There are various issues that might take 5 days to complete.

Thanks! Just saw the trip built to go pick her up. Any idea which bird is next and when she will head over to HKG?

LAXintl

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:24 pm

Updated livery coming in April

United Airlines will unveil an updated livery
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... eo-456444/

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

fun2fly

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 pm

LAXintl wrote:

=

So, who won the bet on when this would happen? We've been speculating on this thread for years. Glad to see it will be here soon. Evolution vs. Revolution is an interesting comment.

I would have thought they would have timed it for the 78J introduction.

cosyr

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Evolution: First off, this means not a new logo, but it is possible it could be changed. Possibly removing the Gold, possibly making more 3D like AT&T did with their logo last decade. I would guess that the Gold will stay on the logo, but not on the fuselage. Also, I'm thinking the blue on the tail will change to a different shade, and that blue will make its way onto the fuselage. Whether they use more than one type of blue...or even the plum/purple...will be interesting.

It would be a big let down if they just announced the wavy 787 livery fleetwide, but only because they're saying "new" in April. I like the wavy, and personally, I think it is a good way to stop gap for the next 5-10 years before introducing a completely new identity and logo. This makes me think that that "Revolution" change won't come until at least 2030.

ikolkyo

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Nice to hear a new standard livery is on the way, the Dreamliner livery is actually quite nice but the old look leaves a lot to be desired currently.

AVENSAB727

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:16 pm

LAXintl wrote:

=

I would guess an updated version of the currently livery or the 787 wave livery, but with less gold.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos