Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3234
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 am

319:

N815UA sked to exit SFO 1246/31Oct, cant't verify 12F yet

764:
N68060 entered HKG 2829/25Oct, maint
 
User avatar
jetblastdubai
Posts: 1981
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:01 pm

United is looking to add Azul to it's Latin America JV. The proposed joint venture will be delayed due to the potential inclusion of a 4th partner and ongoing issues with Avianca. It'd be a pretty well-rounded group of carriers if they can all pull this off.

"United stated last week that it wants Brazilian airline Azul (NYSE:AZUL) to be the fourth partner in the Latin American partnership."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3510647-u ... email_link
 
jdh823
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:23 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 pm

With LN 1631 for 777s being spotted a few days ago, should our 1634 be in Final Assembly now?
 
danipawa
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:33 am

Airbus A320 -232 1914 EC-LRE Vueling ferried 28oct19 BCN-OSR, for United Airlines as N4911U ex EI-EUH

source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4

Boeing 757 -222 24871 311 N518UA United Airlines ferried 29oct19 SFO-TUP, for part-out & scrap
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm

jdh823 wrote:
With LN 1631 for 777s being spotted a few days ago, should our 1634 be in Final Assembly now?

Indeed so... in fact 77W LN1634 .AND. 78X LN948/950 are all on their respective FALs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... iew?pli=1#

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

Should be interesting to see which show up in full new paint first... My bet is on N12010 as the 78 FAL moves faster.
 
Cmac787
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 pm

danipawa wrote:
Airbus A320 -232 1914 EC-LRE Vueling ferried 28oct19 BCN-OSR, for United Airlines as N4911U ex EI-EUH

source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4

Boeing 757 -222 24871 311 N518UA United Airlines ferried 29oct19 SFO-TUP, for part-out & scrap



I wonder why it would go to the Chech republic?
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Cmac787 wrote:
danipawa wrote:
Airbus A320 -232 1914 EC-LRE Vueling ferried 28oct19 BCN-OSR, for United Airlines as N4911U ex EI-EUH

source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4



I wonder why it would go to the Chech republic?

There's an A320 paint, engine, and cabin reconfig MRO there. Wonder if some reconfigs are going to be done in OSR as well?
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Captain just came over the PA for my return flight to ABE on the CRJ550. We're on our third different aircraft so far. His explanation, whether true or not (maybe just to give us something), is that sometimes newly-renovated craft have some issues shortly after coming back into service from having sat around so long. We'll see how third time's the charm goes. Both of the first two aircraft had maintenance issues they couldn't fix quickly. But, good to know they have a lot of the CRJ550s coming into ORD close together. Only had to move to gates right near each other.

So, hopefully soon, I'll finally get to try out this self-service snack bar after the FA gets me a rum and coke.

*fingers crossed*
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
VC10er
Posts: 4273
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
United is looking to add Azul to it's Latin America JV. The proposed joint venture will be delayed due to the potential inclusion of a 4th partner and ongoing issues with Avianca. It'd be a pretty well-rounded group of carriers if they can all pull this off.

"United stated last week that it wants Brazilian airline Azul (NYSE:AZUL) to be the fourth partner in the Latin American partnership."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3510647-u ... email_link


I would love this! Azul has the POTENTIAL to be the new VARIG! A flag carrier of Brazil only!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3234
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:03 pm

319:
N893UA entered SFO 283/30Oct for 12F config
N844UA sked to exit LCQ 2687/1Nov with 12F config
N877UA entered AMA 2754/31Oct for new livery (Ex CZ unit)

77W: 2332U entered XMN 2730/25Oct, maint
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:32 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
United is looking to add Azul to it's Latin America JV. The proposed joint venture will be delayed due to the potential inclusion of a 4th partner and ongoing issues with Avianca. It'd be a pretty well-rounded group of carriers if they can all pull this off.

"United stated last week that it wants Brazilian airline Azul (NYSE:AZUL) to be the fourth partner in the Latin American partnership."

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3510647-u ... email_link


United has had a stake in AZUL, not surprising....

"United will acquire an approximate 5 percent stake in Azul"

"United will invest $100 million for its economic stake in Azul, which includes one seat on Azul's board of directors"

https://hub.united.com/united-azul-braz ... 73014.html
You are here.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3250
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:15 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Captain just came over the PA for my return flight to ABE on the CRJ550. We're on our third different aircraft so far. His explanation, whether true or not (maybe just to give us something), is that sometimes newly-renovated craft have some issues shortly after coming back into service from having sat around so long. We'll see how third time's the charm goes. Both of the first two aircraft had maintenance issues they couldn't fix quickly. But, good to know they have a lot of the CRJ550s coming into ORD close together. Only had to move to gates right near each other.

So, hopefully soon, I'll finally get to try out this self-service snack bar after the FA gets me a rum and coke.

*fingers crossed*


So what did you think of it ?

I have to say, I liked having a true first class seat, love, I mean love there being plenty of storage for roller boards......But, I feel sorry for the FA's, or rather FA, this aircraft needs 2 FA's, small cost for UA would make a world of a difference for everyone, passengers and crew, the lady working our flight never stopped, but clearly was overworked.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3428
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:07 am

Image
You are here.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3234
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:35 am

752:
N17104 exited SAT 2740/1Nov, doesn't show 16/160 config on Flight Status, will monitor
N12109 entered SAT 2739/1Nov, should be for 16/160 config.
 
audidudi
Posts: 2442
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Another ex-CZ A319 update (courtesy of skyliner-aviation.de):

Airbus A319-133 2426 N880UA United Airlines regd 01 Nov 2019 prior delivery ex SHE, ex B-2296
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:26 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
So what did you think of it ?

I have to say, I liked having a true first class seat, love, I mean love there being plenty of storage for roller boards......But, I feel sorry for the FA's, or rather FA, this aircraft needs 2 FA's, small cost for UA would make a world of a difference for everyone, passengers and crew, the lady working our flight never stopped, but clearly was overworked.

Other than continuing to be surprised by the lack of power outlets even in First, I thought it was a very good experience. The true first class seats really were just that; wide, comfortable... Didn't even feel like being on an RJ. Even when thinking back to last Sunday when I was in Economy Plus, the extra legroom was super evident. It was a really comfortable experience for being on an RJ.

Didn't get much of a chance with the self-service snack bar. The fasten seatbelt sign was illuminated for all but a couple minutes of the flight, so I had just enough time to get up, grab some Stroopwafels, snap a crappy photo with my Surface Pro 4, and sit back down. I was going to try to get a better photo but time ran out and we hit more turbulence before the descent.

I totally blew by the storage locker at the front of the aircraft upon entering it for my return trip. I forgot that there was one up there; I'd resigned myself to having to fight back a few rows after landing to grab my bag, but, during a lull in boarding, I went back and got it. Minor note is that it looks like, at least on that flight, is that there wouldn't be room for more than 3-4 first class passenger bags in the front storage locker because the FA had his bag there and there was some extra concessions being stored there. Fortunately, only like 2 First Class passengers (including me) stored our bags there, so there was sufficient room.

I did notice that the FA on each of my two flights was working pretty hard the entire flight. Between serving first and then prepping the cart and heading down the aisle, it took a very significant portion of the wheels-up/wheels-down time between ORD and ABE. On the return flight the FA barely got done by the time he needed to start collecting trash on the descent. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the "expanded" First class. I fly DL almost all the time, and, unfortunately, I'm stuck on piece-of-junk CRJ200s a lot. I feel like the FA on those gets done more quickly because he/she is not serving 4 rows of First before pulling out the cart.

Also, obviously connected with the storage lockers, but the boarding/deplaning time is interesting. Kinda a flip/flop of normal on an RJ with boarding taking longer since folks aren't valet checking, but also are going to have to learn to use the storage lockers. On the flip side, deplaning was awesome. So nice to be able to not have to grab the back from the overhead but get it from the locker on the way out and then just breeze right up into the terminal. Since I get stuck on RJs so much, I have a lot of angst around waiting for my valet check bag, particularly when I am connecting through DTW and have a ludicrously-short connection. So, if only DL had the CRJ550 idea, I'd be set!

Finally, as I said earlier, very convenient that UA launched the 550 with so many routes. I would've been kinda annoyed if, after needing to change planes twice on Wednesday, I got put on something other than the 550 and had to deal with a normal 200 or 700. So, kudos to UA for at least having backup plans, even if it meant musical chairs with gates/planes and delaying multiple flights to try to make sure all planes were serviceable that day.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2358
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Image


Why does this 737-800 have Max winglets?
I was raised by a cup of coffee.
 
GmoneyCO
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:28 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Image


Why does this 737-800 have Max winglets?


The way the image was designed it looks like MAX winglets, however they are the standard split scimitar winglets found on the 737NG series. If you look at the right wing you will see that the top portion is virtually vertical whereas the MAX winglets are both at a ~45 degree angle.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:58 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Other than continuing to be surprised by the lack of power outlets even in First


They are supposedly coming next year. UA wanted them to start service ASAP, so they were left out for the initial reconfig.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
VC10er
Posts: 4273
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:43 pm

What route is the longest on UA’s 550’s?

I do strongly believe that TODAY every seat on every aircraft should have power, that said, if the majority of the routes are 1.5ish hours from wheels up to touch down, it’s understandable if they come last after a 737 or A319/20. Because I live in NYC, I would rarely come off a long haul Polaris flight then need to take an RJ home. But for those who do land after an international Polaris long haul, then pooped as you are, have to face 2 hours on an old RJ, this US 550 seems like such an awesome idea.

How long before there are DL and AA CRJ-550’s? And does UA have legal rights to that number? (because it’s still a CRJ-700!)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3250
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:19 pm

cjg225 wrote:
.....



So pretty much the same experience, I have to say, also as a DL Diamond, if UA puts a second FA on these planes I will have to seriously look at switching over, the changes I have seen over the last year at UA have impressed me greatly.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2358
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 pm

GmoneyCO wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Image


Why does this 737-800 have Max winglets?


The way the image was designed it looks like MAX winglets, however they are the standard split scimitar winglets found on the 737NG series. If you look at the right wing you will see that the top portion is virtually vertical whereas the MAX winglets are both at a ~45 degree angle.



Ultimately, I guess it’s neither a MAX nor a split scimitar winglet. On the left side, the chord of both the top and bottom part of the winglet match the wingtip, whereas on a split scimitar, the lower strake is not as wide as the upper half. Further, none of them have the curve at the tips that the split scimitar design has.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.
 
TrafficCop
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:47 pm

VC10er wrote:
What route is the longest on UA’s 550’s?

I do strongly believe that TODAY every seat on every aircraft should have power, that said, if the majority of the routes are 1.5ish hours from wheels up to touch down, it’s understandable if they come last after a 737 or A319/20. Because I live in NYC, I would rarely come off a long haul Polaris flight then need to take an RJ home. But for those who do land after an international Polaris long haul, then pooped as you are, have to face 2 hours on an old RJ, this US 550 seems like such an awesome idea.

How long before there are DL and AA CRJ-550’s? And does UA have legal rights to that number? (because it’s still a CRJ-700!)


The CRJ-550 is planned for routes under 900 miles or less than 2 hrs, This keeps fuel loads(weight) down and keeps aircraft under scope restrictions. By taking these former 70 seat aircraft and turning them into 50 seaters it also helps get more 175's on property even though UA is now maxed out per scope. How they do it is have the 175 have only 70 seats(12F 58Y) and call them 175SC's. So UA replaces the CRJ700 with newer 175SC's.. The CRJ550 will now as we have seen upgrade markets to allow more Business clients to book what is a Domestic F/C seat and then connect to the Polaris or Premium Plus internationally.. It will also help with Corporate accounts.

DL and AA have different scope clauses with Pilots so may not need to do it. If UA is successful with it then DL or AA may try something also on lower end of RJ market.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:03 pm

TrafficCop wrote:
VC10er wrote:
What route is the longest on UA’s 550’s?

I do strongly believe that TODAY every seat on every aircraft should have power, that said, if the majority of the routes are 1.5ish hours from wheels up to touch down, it’s understandable if they come last after a 737 or A319/20. Because I live in NYC, I would rarely come off a long haul Polaris flight then need to take an RJ home. But for those who do land after an international Polaris long haul, then pooped as you are, have to face 2 hours on an old RJ, this US 550 seems like such an awesome idea.

How long before there are DL and AA CRJ-550’s? And does UA have legal rights to that number? (because it’s still a CRJ-700!)


The CRJ-550 is planned for routes under 900 miles or less than 2 hrs, This keeps fuel loads(weight) down and keeps aircraft under scope restrictions. By taking these former 70 seat aircraft and turning them into 50 seaters it also helps get more 175's on property even though UA is now maxed out per scope. How they do it is have the 175 have only 70 seats(12F 58Y) and call them 175SC's. So UA replaces the CRJ700 with newer 175SC's.. The CRJ550 will now as we have seen upgrade markets to allow more Business clients to book what is a Domestic F/C seat and then connect to the Polaris or Premium Plus internationally.. It will also help with Corporate accounts.

DL and AA have different scope clauses with Pilots so may not need to do it. If UA is successful with it then DL or AA may try something also on lower end of RJ market.

The 175sc that is replacing the CR7 only has 70 seats.
 
pilotfox
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:31 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:37 pm

N223JS SKW CR2 flew out of ROW in new colors
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:14 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
GmoneyCO wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

Why does this 737-800 have Max winglets?


The way the image was designed it looks like MAX winglets, however they are the standard split scimitar winglets found on the 737NG series. If you look at the right wing you will see that the top portion is virtually vertical whereas the MAX winglets are both at a ~45 degree angle.



Ultimately, I guess it’s neither a MAX nor a split scimitar winglet. On the left side, the chord of both the top and bottom part of the winglet match the wingtip, whereas on a split scimitar, the lower strake is not as wide as the upper half. Further, none of them have the curve at the tips that the split scimitar design has.

This is due out of AMA 3NOV.... IIRC..
 
TrafficCop
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:
VC10er wrote:
What route is the longest on UA’s 550’s?

I do strongly believe that TODAY every seat on every aircraft should have power, that said, if the majority of the routes are 1.5ish hours from wheels up to touch down, it’s understandable if they come last after a 737 or A319/20. Because I live in NYC, I would rarely come off a long haul Polaris flight then need to take an RJ home. But for those who do land after an international Polaris long haul, then pooped as you are, have to face 2 hours on an old RJ, this US 550 seems like such an awesome idea.

How long before there are DL and AA CRJ-550’s? And does UA have legal rights to that number? (because it’s still a CRJ-700!)


The CRJ-550 is planned for routes under 900 miles or less than 2 hrs, This keeps fuel loads(weight) down and keeps aircraft under scope restrictions. By taking these former 70 seat aircraft and turning them into 50 seaters it also helps get more 175's on property even though UA is now maxed out per scope. How they do it is have the 175 have only 70 seats(12F 58Y) and call them 175SC's. So UA replaces the CRJ700 with newer 175SC's.. The CRJ550 will now as we have seen upgrade markets to allow more Business clients to book what is a Domestic F/C seat and then connect to the Polaris or Premium Plus internationally.. It will also help with Corporate accounts.

DL and AA have different scope clauses with Pilots so may not need to do it. If UA is successful with it then DL or AA may try something also on lower end of RJ market.

The 175sc that is replacing the CR7 only has 70 seats.


How they do it is have the 175 have only 70 seats(12F 58Y) and call them 175SC's

Um isn't that what I said?
 
ocaviation
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Is 36272 still skd out of AMA tomorrow?
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 am

ocaviation wrote:
Is 36272 still skd out of AMA tomorrow?


Yes, it is scheduled to be released on November 3 at 17:00. However, it won't fly until November 6. Flight number 2746 to IAH at 21:30
 
ocaviation
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:57 am

KVH68 wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
Is 36272 still skd out of AMA tomorrow?


Yes, it is scheduled to be released on November 3 at 17:00. However, it won't fly until November 6. Flight number 2746 to IAH at 21:30


Gotcha. Thanks.
 
avtcle
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:31 am

United is ending flights from CUN to AUS, CLE, MSY & AUS. The season for these routes ended in August, however United just today removed them from their route map.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3234
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:54 am

319:
N846UA exited LCQ 2692/2Nov with 12F config.
N853UA entered LCQ 2730/2Nov for 12F config.

752:
Still showing N17104 w/o 16/160 configuration.
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:23 am

ocaviation wrote:
KVH68 wrote:
ocaviation wrote:
Is 36272 still skd out of AMA tomorrow?


Yes, it is scheduled to be released on November 3 at 17:00. However, it won't fly until November 6. Flight number 2746 to IAH at 21:30


Gotcha. Thanks.

Question is can they keep it out of camera range for that long, or will UA post pictures before hand?
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:39 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
319:
N846UA exited LCQ 2692/2Nov with 12F config.
N853UA entered LCQ 2730/2Nov for 12F config.

752:
Still showing N17104 w/o 16/160 configuration.

N17104 has flown several revenue flights now showing old configuration so safe to say we got ghosted :ghost: on this one.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 3234
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:31 pm

763:
N668UA sked to exit HKJG 2794/5Nov in High J Polaris/PP, seats confirmed on UA app.
 
ocaviation
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:49 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Any news on the release of 272?
 
VC10er
Posts: 4273
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:17 pm

TrafficCop wrote:
VC10er wrote:
What route is the longest on UA’s 550’s?

I do strongly believe that TODAY every seat on every aircraft should have power, that said, if the majority of the routes are 1.5ish hours from wheels up to touch down, it’s understandable if they come last after a 737 or A319/20. Because I live in NYC, I would rarely come off a long haul Polaris flight then need to take an RJ home. But for those who do land after an international Polaris long haul, then pooped as you are, have to face 2 hours on an old RJ, this US 550 seems like such an awesome idea.

How long before there are DL and AA CRJ-550’s? And does UA have legal rights to that number? (because it’s still a CRJ-700!)


The CRJ-550 is planned for routes under 900 miles or less than 2 hrs, This keeps fuel loads(weight) down and keeps aircraft under scope restrictions. By taking these former 70 seat aircraft and turning them into 50 seaters it also helps get more 175's on property even though UA is now maxed out per scope. How they do it is have the 175 have only 70 seats(12F 58Y) and call them 175SC's. So UA replaces the CRJ700 with newer 175SC's.. The CRJ550 will now as we have seen upgrade markets to allow more Business clients to book what is a Domestic F/C seat and then connect to the Polaris or Premium Plus internationally.. It will also help with Corporate accounts.

DL and AA have different scope clauses with Pilots so may not need to do it. If UA is successful with it then DL or AA may try something also on lower end of RJ market.


Got it! Thanks!
I always struggle to understand ANYTHING about scope clauses, especially the ratio aspect of how many RJs (or 70 pax jets) are allowed per mainline. I understand parts of it and sometimes why, but it’s really the “WHY?” part I don’t understand and how it’s agreed to. It feels more like a lose/lose than a win/win arrangement. I’m dense I guess.

So, what does the “SC” stand for? And, sorry another question! The other thing I don’t understand (yet I’ve worked with Embraer and have been to their offices and factories and show rooms many times) if UA or any airline to order new E175’s today, has it been updated to E2 Jets (or are E2’s only manufactured in the larger 190/195 sizes?

Thanks!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
UA857
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Why is United retiring p.s. configured 757s?
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm

VC10er wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:
VC10er wrote:
What route is the longest on UA’s 550’s?

I do strongly believe that TODAY every seat on every aircraft should have power, that said, if the majority of the routes are 1.5ish hours from wheels up to touch down, it’s understandable if they come last after a 737 or A319/20. Because I live in NYC, I would rarely come off a long haul Polaris flight then need to take an RJ home. But for those who do land after an international Polaris long haul, then pooped as you are, have to face 2 hours on an old RJ, this US 550 seems like such an awesome idea.

How long before there are DL and AA CRJ-550’s? And does UA have legal rights to that number? (because it’s still a CRJ-700!)


The CRJ-550 is planned for routes under 900 miles or less than 2 hrs, This keeps fuel loads(weight) down and keeps aircraft under scope restrictions. By taking these former 70 seat aircraft and turning them into 50 seaters it also helps get more 175's on property even though UA is now maxed out per scope. How they do it is have the 175 have only 70 seats(12F 58Y) and call them 175SC's. So UA replaces the CRJ700 with newer 175SC's.. The CRJ550 will now as we have seen upgrade markets to allow more Business clients to book what is a Domestic F/C seat and then connect to the Polaris or Premium Plus internationally.. It will also help with Corporate accounts.

DL and AA have different scope clauses with Pilots so may not need to do it. If UA is successful with it then DL or AA may try something also on lower end of RJ market.


Got it! Thanks!
I always struggle to understand ANYTHING about scope clauses, especially the ratio aspect of how many RJs (or 70 pax jets) are allowed per mainline. I understand parts of it and sometimes why, but it’s really the “WHY?” part I don’t understand and how it’s agreed to. It feels more like a lose/lose than a win/win arrangement. I’m dense I guess.

So, what does the “SC” stand for? And, sorry another question! The other thing I don’t understand (yet I’ve worked with Embraer and have been to their offices and factories and show rooms many times) if UA or any airline to order new E175’s today, has it been updated to E2 Jets (or are E2’s only manufactured in the larger 190/195 sizes?

Thanks!


SC= Special Configuration (i.e. Scope Clause)
 
codc10
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:40 pm

UA857 wrote:
Why is United retiring p.s. configured 757s?


The oldest frames are approaching their 30th birthdays and will be retired as they hit heavy maintenance intervals. They are also the only aircraft in the fleet with PW2000 engines, so it adds unnecessary complexity.
 
UA857
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:47 am

codc10 wrote:
UA857 wrote:
Why is United retiring p.s. configured 757s?


The oldest frames are approaching their 30th birthdays and will be retired as they hit heavy maintenance intervals. They are also the only aircraft in the fleet with PW2000 engines, so it adds unnecessary complexity.

What Will UA replace the p.s. 757s with?
 
77H
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:47 am

[photoid][/photoid]
UA857 wrote:
codc10 wrote:
UA857 wrote:
Why is United retiring p.s. configured 757s?


The oldest frames are approaching their 30th birthdays and will be retired as they hit heavy maintenance intervals. They are also the only aircraft in the fleet with PW2000 engines, so it adds unnecessary complexity.

What Will UA replace the p.s. 757s with?


The MadMAX.

77H
 
User avatar
KVH68
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm

737-800, N36272 (Star Wars livery)

New departure time for flight 2746 from AMA to IAH is 19:00 on November 6.
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 pm

KVH68 wrote:
737-800, N36272 (Star Wars livery)

New departure time for flight 2746 from AMA to IAH is 19:00 on November 6.

Conveniently after dark.... :bigthumbsup:
 
sdh9
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:37 pm

VC10er wrote:
Got it! Thanks!
I always struggle to understand ANYTHING about scope clauses, especially the ratio aspect of how many RJs (or 70 pax jets) are allowed per mainline. I understand parts of it and sometimes why, but it’s really the “WHY?” part I don’t understand and how it’s agreed to. It feels more like a lose/lose than a win/win arrangement. I’m dense I guess.

So, what does the “SC” stand for? And, sorry another question! The other thing I don’t understand (yet I’ve worked with Embraer and have been to their offices and factories and show rooms many times) if UA or any airline to order new E175’s today, has it been updated to E2 Jets (or are E2’s only manufactured in the larger 190/195 sizes?

Thanks!


It’s pretty simple, really. The United pilots own all United flying, except for some exceptions. Those exceptions become the basis for scope. The important thing to remember about scope is that it’s not something that was cooked up yesterday... this is the basis of years of contract cycles, up and down markets, good times and bankruptcy.

There are various strategies that are used to define scope: seat count, aircraft range, aircraft weight, sometimes even tail numbers. The turboprops and 50-seat jets were never that big of a deal, really — the argument could be made that these aircraft were complimentary and completely uneconomical at mainline. With the 70/76 seaters the calculus changed a bit... the fuel burn to go from a 175 to a 190 is honestly minimal, and the fixed costs are close to the same, so the airline is leaving money on the table by operating a 175. That’s why you see the battle with who will fly the 190/195, and why the company is so reluctant to order the 190/195 for mainline. Once they do, the precedent is set, and now the company has lost an issue they can use in the future. I would say with AA and B6 flying the 190, and DL with the A220/717, the 100-seat jet at mainline is industry standard by now, but apparently UA disagrees.

The United pilots tried to incentivize this decision in the last contract cycle by agreeing to low pay rates to fly the 190 class of aircraft, and agreeing to a trigger to provide more 76-seat aircraft once the 100-seat jet was on property. In turn, for every new 76-seat aircraft, a ratio of 50-seat jets would need to be parked. This is managed to provide the same amount of seats with less aircraft. It seemed like a win/win/win, but it hasn’t come to fruition.

The company would love to get credit for the additional 737/320s they have been buying to expand the RJs, but the problem with this is it doesn’t solve the 100-seat problem, and that will be a central point of the negotiations going forward. I would be surprised if the pilots agree to that, but you never know. Of course, aircraft can easily be parked in a downturn, and the 73G/738/Airbus fleet are pushing 20 years by now.

As for why you haven’t seen the 175E2, well, it’s too heavy. Embraer bet that the weight limit of 86,000lb would be increased and as of yet it hasn’t been. Unfortunately for them, nobody else is interested in the 175 other than in a scope scenario (since the 190/195E2 is about the same cost structure, just buy that instead), so there it sits.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4273
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Wow, thanks sdh9 for taking the time to thoughtfully write all that for me! Greatly appreciated.

Nobody outside the aviation business/world understands anything, people just don’t understand what they cannot see. I consider myself an enthusiast but not an expert. But I know enough that when I hear a passenger raging at an airline employee about something- most of the time I want to smack them, because they are complaining about something with zero thought put into “why” whatever has happened, happened with ZERO appreciation or thought of the fact that the their 737 flight from here to there did so safely “because” of the efforts on the part of so many to get their 737 from there to here, plus a thousand other flights. I have a friend who must fly SFO to RDU once a month for a week. He’s always on UA and blames them for not having a 767 with wider and more comfortable seats!

In my case, I think I see a great opportunity for UA that seems like it’s there for the taking. Like on another thread about the growing LCY and European airlines wanting to use A220’s (maybe E2’s TATL. But why not the US3? I think a couple of flights from EWR/IAD to LCY for UA would be very welcome out of NYC & DC, and make money flying alongside High J 763’s to LHR. So, what would happen given scope if UAL got 190/195E2’s for just that mission?

Thanks again! R
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
LGeneReese
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:34 pm

789 N36962 ferry UA2764 VCVLAX 4NOV Mx and paint touch up on old livery. Would be absolutely flabbergasted if it showed up in EvoBlu... but I don’t think there’s any way they could do it in nine days...
 
snuggs28
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:09 am

A319-131 N835UA was ferried to GYR this morning. First 319 to be retired.

I don't understand why. Relatively speaking its not that old compared to other 319 Aircraft Flying. It is a 2001 build

Flight: 2719/04 .
 
audidudi
Posts: 2442
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:27 am

snuggs28 wrote:
A319-131 N835UA was ferried to GYR this morning. First 319 to be retired.

I don't understand why. Relatively speaking its not that old compared to other 319 Aircraft Flying. It is a 2001 build

Flight: 2719/04 .

Would it perhaps be due for a major mx check?
 
snuggs28
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:59 am

audidudi wrote:
snuggs28 wrote:
A319-131 N835UA was ferried to GYR this morning. First 319 to be retired.

I don't understand why. Relatively speaking its not that old compared to other 319 Aircraft Flying. It is a 2001 build

Flight: 2719/04 .

Would it perhaps be due for a major mx check?



It does need a Heavy check. But still hours and cycles wise. A lot of time left on that Airframe. We have older Airframes out there getting these heavy checks. Just a head scratcher. Plus N834UA is in LCQ getting a Heavy Check right now. And that Airframe was delivered 3 days before 4035 was in 2001.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos