Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FSDan

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 am

It looks to me like the 17 76Ls are pretty much spoken for in the S20 schedule at this point:
ORD-LHR x3
ORD-FRA x1
IAD-ZRH x1
EWR-LHR x6
EWR-NCE x1
EWR-FRA x1
EWR-GVA x1
EWR-ZRH x1

Those routes require 16 out of 17 frames when you consider that one of the EWR-LHR flights RONs at LHR.

Are there still supposed to be 4 additional 76L conversions and 3 763 retirements out of the remaining non-Polaris fleet?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

N649DL

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:39 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Coalways wrote:

Think you are a little over the top! United terminal C is very nice and well branded. The Temporary bathrooms in the middle of the terminal are no where near restaurants and are very clean and very well branded I have pictures in my phone but don’t know how to post them on here or I would! United has done a very nice job with branding and everything during this extensive construction process.

OHHHH! NOW I KNOW WHAT THE OPEN ROOF LAVS YOU ARE REFERRING TO!!!
I have not used one of those temporary restrooms, but I have passed them. Not only do they look like temporary structures, they say so on the outer walls. it is SO OBVIOUS that they are temporary: if you look to the side of them there are “blue under-renovation” plywood walls covering the entrances to the real men’s and women’s bathrooms that say “Restroom renovation underway” - those pop-up restrooms are there only because the real ones are getting a much needed redesign.
For the past few years I was surprised that United had not updated the TC concourse restrooms. But I will say at least they were always clean. There was a janitor inside each one all day long- mopping floors, cleaning sinks and toilets etc. They may have looked very 1992, with grey tiles and stainless steel soffit over the sinks, but even with 12 men constantly milling around inside, the janitor always made sure they were clean. They each had the button in RED, YELLOW & GREEN to push to rate your satisfaction: I’m certain the RED button was pushed far more often!
ONCE the new restrooms are opened, I’m sure those roofless temp restrooms will be taken down.

I always considered myself a person obsessed with the details, as well as the macro: IMHO: EWR TC (given that it was not a well designed airport terminal from day one) is today a fabulous large Terminal. The soaring ceilings upon entering are now bright white, really nice blue decorative lights, new structures inside, large monitors and all new branded back walls, and tons of open floor area make it very easy even at the most crowded times, the giant windows after security with modern white struts and very well done way finding signage and all the new restaurants are very attractive. It is obvious UA pored many, many millions into it, used a great architectural firm and for a BIG terminal it is easier and nicer looking than most.

Plus EWR is super fast by car from Manhattan as the highway infrastructure is all modernized, especially the Pulaski Skyway (1932) has been totally fixed up and a “gem” of America’s industrial era.

QUESTION: are plans underway for an easy direct and fast mass transit system from Manhattan to EWR?

Great to hear a refreshingly positive take on TC at Newark.

I too find it to be quite a solid terminal - in my view the best terminal in the NYC area, and all the improvements UA is making are just making it better. Yes the club situation aside from the Polaris one is a bit tiresome, but long-term that will shape out.

As it is, the restaurants are all solid, with really good offerings in Both C-1 and C-3 (less so C-2, admittedly). The iPad seating and plug-point availability is top notch. Wifi service is good.

The TSA area is constantly in flux, but improving.

UA has done well to make the best out of a tough situation.

In regards to mass transit, there';s the Path extension, but that will still require AirTrain ride I believe.

It's definitely not the best terminal in the NYC area. T-4 at JFK with DL has it's ills but it's at least newer and there's proper lounge facilities and doesn't feel nearly as cramped in the gate areas. I'm not a huge fan of T-4 because of long walks, but for DL it's a better facility than UA at Terminal C at EWR. Everything relating UA at EWR always seems "Under Construction." They doubled down on the new Polaris Lounge and not enough space for regular folks to use the other lounge options within the terminal. UA bit their tongue on that one I'm assuming.

Plus, go outside and inside and look into the core base of T-C and you'll realize that being inside T-B is far superior. Upstairs is totally dated. T-C gets a pass out of convenience, not quality.

klwright69

UA to Africa

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:44 am

UA has finally returned to Africa with the recent launch of Cape Town. To all you UA insiders, how is UA doing so far on this long, seasonal route? Does it appear to be a success at the start?

Any chance of J'Burg? Or of LOS returning?

flight152

Re: UA to Africa

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:45 am

How is it doing? It’s literally operated one time so far. Isn’t a bit early to ask?

CriticalPoint

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:09 am

klwright69 wrote:
UA has finally returned to Africa with the recent launch of Cape Town. To all you UA insiders, how is UA doing so far on this long, seasonal route? Does it appear to be a success at the start?

Any chance of J'Burg? Or of LOS returning?

Well it made it there and back so that’s good!

LGeneReese

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:25 am

Qantas744er wrote:
Rumor going around this week:

UA will shortly announce a order for:
4 EA - B77W
11 EA - B781

Probably going to be announced during the 4Q earnings call.

The 11 additional 78Js was expected. 4 additional 77Ws was not.. if it proves true perhaps it’s part of a Max Compensation Deal?

Pinto

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 am

flight152 wrote:
How is it doing? It’s literally operated one time so far. Isn’t a bit early to ask?

They confirmed it will come back agian next season as well as stating the booking has been good.

klwright69

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:47 am

The flight to CPT has just started, true. But how are the bookings looking? Any chance of additional frequencies?

VC10er

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:57 am

N649DL wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

OHHHH! NOW I KNOW WHAT THE OPEN ROOF LAVS YOU ARE REFERRING TO!!!
I have not used one of those temporary restrooms, but I have passed them. Not only do they look like temporary structures, they say so on the outer walls. it is SO OBVIOUS that they are temporary: if you look to the side of them there are “blue under-renovation” plywood walls covering the entrances to the real men’s and women’s bathrooms that say “Restroom renovation underway” - those pop-up restrooms are there only because the real ones are getting a much needed redesign.
For the past few years I was surprised that United had not updated the TC concourse restrooms. But I will say at least they were always clean. There was a janitor inside each one all day long- mopping floors, cleaning sinks and toilets etc. They may have looked very 1992, with grey tiles and stainless steel soffit over the sinks, but even with 12 men constantly milling around inside, the janitor always made sure they were clean. They each had the button in RED, YELLOW & GREEN to push to rate your satisfaction: I’m certain the RED button was pushed far more often!
ONCE the new restrooms are opened, I’m sure those roofless temp restrooms will be taken down.

I always considered myself a person obsessed with the details, as well as the macro: IMHO: EWR TC (given that it was not a well designed airport terminal from day one) is today a fabulous large Terminal. The soaring ceilings upon entering are now bright white, really nice blue decorative lights, new structures inside, large monitors and all new branded back walls, and tons of open floor area make it very easy even at the most crowded times, the giant windows after security with modern white struts and very well done way finding signage and all the new restaurants are very attractive. It is obvious UA pored many, many millions into it, used a great architectural firm and for a BIG terminal it is easier and nicer looking than most.

Plus EWR is super fast by car from Manhattan as the highway infrastructure is all modernized, especially the Pulaski Skyway (1932) has been totally fixed up and a “gem” of America’s industrial era.

QUESTION: are plans underway for an easy direct and fast mass transit system from Manhattan to EWR?

I too find it to be quite a solid terminal - in my view the best terminal in the NYC area, and all the improvements UA is making are just making it better. Yes the club situation aside from the Polaris one is a bit tiresome, but long-term that will shape out.

As it is, the restaurants are all solid, with really good offerings in Both C-1 and C-3 (less so C-2, admittedly). The iPad seating and plug-point availability is top notch. Wifi service is good.

In regards to mass transit, there';s the Path extension, but that will still require AirTrain ride I believe.

It's definitely not the best terminal in the NYC area. T-4 at JFK with DL has it's ills but it's at least newer and there's proper lounge facilities and doesn't feel nearly as cramped in the gate areas. I'm not a huge fan of T-4 because of long walks, but for DL it's a better facility than UA at Terminal C at EWR. Everything relating UA at EWR always seems "Under Construction." They doubled down on the new Polaris Lounge and not enough space for regular folks to use the other lounge options within the terminal. UA bit their tongue on that one I'm assuming.

Plus, go outside and inside and look into the core base of T-C and you'll realize that being inside T-B is far superior. Upstairs is totally dated. T-C gets a pass out of convenience, not quality.

I NEVER said EWR TC was the best in the NYC metro area! I said (in my experience-and I am truly not trying to brag but I fly on average 150,00+ miles a year for business, mostly UA, but not exclusively) MY SINGLE POINT: “of the OLD LARGE refurbished terminals , TC it is “one of the best ones I’ve experienced) But not “fabulous” as many newer built large terminals. In fact I really dislike LHR T3 because it always feels like a crowded shopping mall with airplane gates attached!
The reason you find “EWR TC always under construction” is because it HAS BEEN! I assume UA couldn’t level it and start fresh, but they had terminal that was once in an extreme state of neglect, (and all 3 Terminals were never beautifully designed since ribbon cutting in the early 1970’s) CO did it’s best when they opened the never used TC decades ago. Yet for a time CO was NYC’s favorite airline, regardless! - unfortunately MAJOR work takes a long time, and post merger (you might recall was FAR from well executed) and required the ouster of old management and new brains. It was a painful experience for the first few years. I think a time lapsed video would help you see exactly the extent to which the new UA has made the best out of what they HAD to work with. AND TC was far from Job #1 to begin a major airline brand “overhaul”- so you can’t view 1 hub as the overhaul required every imaginable part of the merged entity. (Rome was not built in a day!)
UA/CO required a “bottom to to top, side to side” overhaul of great magnitude. And Delta was already a light year ahead.
I personally believe when factoring in “EVERYTHING” and deciding where and when to spend “billions” upon “Billions” to rehabilitate an airline of UA’s size, I actually am extremely impressed by how UA has gone from where it was to where it is today...but it’s still a WIP.

Not long ago, (2 years?) a UA flight in BF from EWR to LHR would have been quite ordinary even if nothing went wrong. Last week my UA flight from EWR to LHR was a perfect 10, from a REALLY NICE TC, to a spectacular Polaris lounge to my first High-J 767-300 (and I am certain Jane & John Doe passengers would have sworn their lives that the 767 was factory new)

I have NOT been to the Delta terminal you speak of, and I take your word it’s far better than United’s TC, but I will probably never be there given where I live and my status on UA. I live in downtown WEST Manhattan and by Uber I’m taking my luggage out of the car at EWR TC in 25 to 40 minutes depending on traffic. Being a born & raised NYCer, I spent much of my life in an AGONIZING ride to JFK.

When you speak of “regular folk”- did you not read what I wrote? Willis Tower is PAINFULLY AWARE of each large or small substandard issue at EWR TC and have BIG plans for creating a great experience, it is a part of “EVERYTHING” they know must be done along with MANY, MANY other projects. (Not to forget refurbishing an enormous fleet of both international and domestic aircraft)
At a recent cocktail event near Wall St, I spoke to Jill Kaplan, President of United NYC Metro area. They know EXACTLY what is lacking and are “on it” - an enormous new permanent United Club is being built as we speak. Then a TOTAL refurbishment of the one single United Club.
UA employees continually buy tickets and fly every class of all of their competitors, and reporter back “everything” of their experiences, and UA will judiciously decide where they must be at par and where they must innovate.

I did some online research, it “seems” like United at EWR flies a few million more passengers annually than Delta does from JFK, and UA might be larger on those measures than DL or AA, but I’m sure someone else knows for sure. If so, then TC can’t be that horrible on a quantitative level.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

VC10er

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:30 am

notconcerned wrote:
VC10er wrote:
I don’t know how many UA aircraft arrive everyday but EWR, ORD, IAH & IAD do have multiple flights, United as many as 6 nonstops a day from EWR. I know they stopped SFO, but IF I was king (and money didn’t matter that much) I would give my SF & LA & DEN FF’s a good option (especially SFO and would use a 752 with bed seats) I would (especially because it’s AA’s turf) create a mini United branded presence at MIA. Does anyone know how many UA pax arrive and depart MIA in both low and High seasons? My last trip at Thanksgiving, UA added a E175 from EWR. It was a fabulous ride.

But why would UA want to dump more capacity to MIA and risk a fare war with AA (who would be in the dominant position to defend their MIA hub). IAD/SFO/DEN-MIA are just seasonal routes for UA. There's probably better money to be made by flying to FLL and likely so, comparing the number of flights:
UA to MIA in winter: 18 (7 EWR, 2 IAD, 3 ORD, 4 IAH, 1 DEN, 1 SFO)
UA to FLL in winter: 23 (8 EWR, 4 IAD, 4 ORD, 4 IAH, 2 DEN, 1 SFO) with larger aircraft (more 739 and 752)

Thanks! A “fare war” was certainly something I never thought of!
My singular point was only that from a “NON-AA” POV, where UA has a large FF base, that flying into MIA on UA is easyw: you deplane into a fairly ordinary concourse and you are on your way. However the return flight experience (prior to boarding) is dreadful. All of the oldest style gate seating, bad power stations etc. The same for DL on the other side of the concourse but at least DL has a conveniently placed club.
I know UA has a bigger presence at FLL, but FLL isn’t as close to Miami as many think (or I think) - I’ve tried using FLL for going to Miami, but traffic can be a nightmare.

If they shouldn’t build up MIA for the reasons you point out, then I’m only left with hoping that UA makes MIA somehow, someway better than an unimportant outpost for her loyal passengers back home.

Cheers,
R

Scarebus34

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am

FSDan wrote:
It looks to me like the 17 76Ls are pretty much spoken for in the S20 schedule at this point:
ORD-LHR x3
ORD-FRA x1
IAD-ZRH x1
EWR-LHR x6
EWR-NCE x1
EWR-FRA x1
EWR-GVA x1
EWR-ZRH x1

Those routes require 16 out of 17 frames when you consider that one of the EWR-LHR flights RONs at LHR.

Are there still supposed to be 4 additional 76L conversions and 3 763 retirements out of the remaining non-Polaris fleet?

ORD-ZRH is also slated to be operated by 76L.

codc10

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 am

The EWR vs. JFK discussion (essentially a proxy for UA vs. DL) is tiresome and worn out, especially by certain posters who recycle strong opinions over and over for years. Suggest deletion.

fun2fly

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
Qantas744er wrote:
Rumor going around this week:

UA will shortly announce a order for:
4 EA - B77W
11 EA - B781

Probably going to be announced during the 4Q earnings call.

The 11 additional 78Js was expected. 4 additional 77Ws was not.. if it proves true perhaps it’s part of a Max Compensation Deal?

You just might be right there...unexpected...Boeing has holes to fill in the production slots...UA needs compensation...seems plausible. Buy 3 get one free? 26 frames strong x 77W is no joke. UA must like it's performance to have added the last four and these four units.

Assuming these are 2020/2021 birds, UA's widebody fleet continues to evolve very rapidly with significant deliveries in a short period of time. This order lends further support to UA making the 350 entry much later.

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 pm

VC10er wrote:
N649DL wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

I NEVER said EWR TC was the best in the NYC metro area! I said (in my experience-and I am truly not trying to brag but I fly on average 150,00+ miles a year for business, mostly UA, but not exclusively) MY SINGLE POINT: “of the OLD LARGE refurbished terminals , TC it is “one of the best ones I’ve experienced)

I was the one who said it, so he was responding to me.

I stand by it, and I have flown out of T4 in JFK many times - especially prior to it becoming a defacto Delta hub terminal (and still after, most recently on JFK-JNB last November). As I said, I stand by it. T4 at JFK to me is a bit too overcrowded - has the same smallish corridors (especially that giant B concourse), the walk to RJ flying can be gruesome, and the catering options outside the lounge is fine, but I personally think TC has it beat.

Anyway, to each his own.

United787

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:50 pm

joeljack wrote:
One request, can we PLEASE do separate network and fleet threads for United next year! This thread has been a disaster of 80 different topics being discussed at the same time!

Thank you for making that request. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE separate these two topics.

jayunited

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm

FSDan wrote:

I'm now wondering if those 3 frames will be retired or if UA will extend their life just like UA is doing for the other 4 frames. Originally before the MAX grounding 7 early built 763 were do for retirement, as the grounding dragged on UA changed their fleet plan. As of today I believe the narrow body fleet is short 30-32 MAX9s a number that will continue to grow into 2020. If this grounding drags on past April, May or even June 2020, and if the suspension of production of all MAXs delays the MAX10s EIS then perhaps UA will give those 3 frames a temporary reprieve.

So far UA has been patience with Boeing but after news broke of the suspension of production for the MAX there has been a measurable increase in frustration towards Boeing. Although Boeing claims the suspension will only last up to 2 months worst case scenario, I get the sense just from the rumors that behind the scenes UA's management has lost all faith in any thing timetable related that Boeing says related to MAX, because this grounding now has the potential to seriously effect our summer 2020 schedule and overall capacity.
Last edited by jayunited on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSDan

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
ORD-LHR x3
ORD-FRA x1
IAD-ZRH x1
EWR-LHR x6
EWR-NCE x1
EWR-FRA x1
EWR-GVA x1
EWR-ZRH x1

My bad - I erroneously listed ORD-FRA instead of ORD-ZRH. ORD-FRA actually doesn't see the 76L, and is a mix of 78J and 772. So it still works out to 16 out of 17 frames.

codc10

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:06 pm

jayunited wrote:
So far UA has been patience with Boeing but after news broke of the suspension of production for the MAX there has been a measurable increase in frustration towards Boeing. Although Boeing claims the suspension will only last up to 2 months worst case scenario, I get the sense for just rumors that behind the scenes UA's management has lost all faith in any thing timetable related that Boeing says related to MAX, because this grounding now has the potential to seriously effect our summer 2020 schedule and overall capacity.

I agree. And while there is plenty of frustration rightfully directed at Boeing, the grounding has become far wider-ranging than just technical issues. At this point, it's very much political, and there's really no hope of an imminent resolution. The longer the grounding lasts, the longer too it will take to get things up to speed, and there are limited ways to so quickly introduce all that capacity to the system.
Last edited by codc10 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intotheair

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:07 pm

New route announced. SFO-DUB. Daily 788 beginning June 5.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Pinto

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:15 pm

FSDan wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
ORD-LHR x3
ORD-FRA x1
IAD-ZRH x1
EWR-LHR x6
EWR-NCE x1
EWR-FRA x1
EWR-GVA x1
EWR-ZRH x1

My bad - I erroneously listed ORD-FRA instead of ORD-ZRH. ORD-FRA actually doesn't see the 76L, and is a mix of 78J and 772. So it still works out to 16 out of 17 frames.

According to Routes Onlines 1x ORD - FRA is supposed to be a 763, however I dont know which type it would be.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-13dec19/

calpsafltskeds

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 pm

77W:
N2250U B1 flight 12/17/19 - photos at this link - you may have to copy and paste to browser
https://twitter.com/PlanesAtPaine/statu ... 6299853824

FSDan

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:22 pm

intotheair wrote:

Good add! Should be a good combo of business (particularly tech) and leisure travel on that route.

After the initial Polaris prototype, is UA planning on taking a break on 788 conversions over the summer? The currently loaded routes appear to more or less fully occupy the fleet:

SFO-DUB daily (new)
SFO-AMS daily
SFO-KIX daily
SFO-CTU 3x weekly
DEN-LHR daily
DEN-FRA daily
DEN-NRT daily
IAD-GRU daily
IAD-PEK daily

If I'm not mistaken, that will require 11 out of 12 frames, and possibly all 12 once some domestic repositioning flights are loaded between SFO, DEN, and IAD.

I suppose as more 789s begin arriving, some of these may yet get upgauged. How many additional 789s is UA supposed to take between now and June?

FSDan

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Pinto wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

According to Routes Onlines 1x ORD - FRA is supposed to be a 763, however I dont know which type it would be.

That's just from late March to early May. I should have clarified, but I was looking at a late June date when listing the routes for the 76L.

codc10

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Pinto wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Looks like this is going to be a standard 763 (76A) until May 7, when it reverts to 772.

jayunited

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:37 pm

FSDan wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Good add! Should be a good combo of business (particularly tech) and leisure travel on that route.

After the initial Polaris prototype, is UA planning on taking a break on 788 conversions over the summer? The currently loaded routes appear to more or less fully occupy the fleet:

SFO-DUB daily (new)
SFO-AMS daily
SFO-KIX daily
SFO-CTU 3x weekly
DEN-LHR daily
DEN-FRA daily
DEN-NRT daily
IAD-GRU daily
IAD-PEK daily

If I'm not mistaken, that will require 11 out of 12 frames, and possibly all 12 once some domestic repositioning flights are loaded between SFO, DEN, and IAD.

I suppose as more 789s begin arriving, some of these may yet get upgauged. How many additional 789s is UA supposed to take between now and June?

By June 2020 there should be an additional 789s in the fleet, I think 4 additional 78X will be in the fleet, and for sure 4 additional 77Ws.

Also concerning the SFO-DUB flight that flight will operate daily during the peak travel season but from my understanding it will transition to weekly during the off peak season. I don't know the frequency during the off peak season but if I had to guess I would say 4x weekly. What is interesting is UA is planning to operate SFO-DUB year around while the plan for now still leaves both ORD-DUB and IAD-DUB as seasonal flights.

COEWR787

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Pinto wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

What about EWR - TXL? Isn't that a 763 of some variety too?

codc10

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:46 pm

jayunited wrote:
What is interesting is UA is planning to operate SFO-DUB year around while the plan for now still leaves both ORD-DUB and IAD-DUB as seasonal flights.

Underscores the business-oriented nature of the flight. Strict seasonal flying suggests limited business travel, especially to Europe. SFO-DUB fits in with United's strategy of connecting SFO nonstop to major global tech centers.

LGeneReese

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:05 pm

78J
N14011 B1 BOE46 18DEC.. So can we get three deliveries before Xmas shutdown ?

Scarebus34

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 pm

COEWR787 wrote:
Pinto wrote:
FSDan wrote:

It will be operated by 764.

shamrock604

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:00 pm

jayunited wrote:
FSDan wrote:
intotheair wrote:

SFO-DUB daily (new)
SFO-AMS daily
SFO-KIX daily
SFO-CTU 3x weekly
DEN-LHR daily
DEN-FRA daily
DEN-NRT daily
IAD-GRU daily
IAD-PEK daily

By June 2020 there should be an additional 789s in the fleet, I think 4 additional 78X will be in the fleet, and for sure 4 additional 77Ws.

Also concerning the SFO-DUB flight that flight will operate daily during the peak travel season but from my understanding it will transition to weekly during the off peak season. I don't know the frequency during the off peak season but if I had to guess I would say 4x weekly. What is interesting is UA is planning to operate SFO-DUB year around while the plan for now still leaves both ORD-DUB and IAD-DUB as seasonal flights.

IAD-DUB has been year round - this appears to be the first winter season in which it is not operating. EI meanwhile, appear to have gone daily on IAD this winter. ORD-DUB has always been a seasonal operation, with EI operating twice daily year round.

FSDan

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:
Pinto wrote:

It will be operated by 764.

For now, it's still showing as a 763 (regular layout) in June. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets updated to a 764 in the coming weeks as that fleet seems slightly underutilized in the current summer schedule.

FlyHossD

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:28 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
codc10 wrote:
Rumor has it a new SFO route will be announced tomorrow.

Hoping for SFO-DUB on the 788.

Looks like you bet on the right horse.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

x1234

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Looks like EWR-CPT is a winner. Is there any hope for UA to launch service to LOS & JNB (both served by Delta), the 2 biggest African markets currently not served by UA?

VC10er

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:26 pm

codc10 wrote:
The EWR vs. JFK discussion (essentially a proxy for UA vs. DL) is tiresome and worn out, especially by certain posters who recycle strong opinions over and over for years. Suggest deletion.

EWR V JFK is not a proxy for UA V DL for me!

True, I never fly Delta I would love to try out the Delta One seat. Just 2 reasons: maintaining my status on UA and EWR is “much” faster given where I live. I will on a rare occasion fly another Star Alliance member airline from JFK.

I do wish that UA had a second morning flight to LHR- it’s a day killer (but not for me, the “flight” is the best part) Often my business trips happen very suddenly with a Tuesday call from a client saying “Can you be here Thursday?” - the red eye is actually too short to really sleep (AND, UA does seem to use the PA system too much, after the safety video: chatty pilots, FA’s thanking everyone, talking about joining MP, pitching the CHASE UNITED EXPLORER CARD, and on and on. Then after 4 hours of sleep come the flood of announcements after the “we have started our initial descent” announcement. (Does DL and AA do the same thing?)- point being: the single 8am flight is often sold out in Polaris 24 hours. A additional 7am LHR would be awesome! (Maybe a reg 767?)

SFOtoORD

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:27 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
codc10 wrote:
Rumor has it a new SFO route will be announced tomorrow.

Hoping for SFO-DUB on the 788.

Looks like you bet on the right horse.

Mostly a good guess on my part. So many of the big tech firms have significant offices in Dublin. There is a good size Irish immigrant/descendant population too.

codc10

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:49 pm

VC10er wrote:

Maybe not for you, but any discussion in that vein is like chum in the water. Mention something, anything favorable about EWR Terminal C, and right on cue, we'll hear about how it is "decrepit", "cramped", "dated", "dumpy", "too far from New York", "Polaris is taking too long to roll out", "Terminal B is better", "Terminal 4 is better", "Delta is better", "CO was overrated", "Gordon Bethune is a jerk", ad infinitum. :lol:

calpsafltskeds

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:43 am

319:
N878UA sked to exit AMA paint 2749/18Dec in EvoBlu livery. Awaiting first revenue flight

738:
N37290 sked to exit AMA paint 2744/18Dec in EvoBlu livery

772:
N787UA sked to exit XMN maint 2761/20Dec

VC10er

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 am

codc10 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Maybe not for you, but any discussion in that vein is like chum in the water. Mention something, anything favorable about EWR Terminal C, and right on cue, we'll hear about how it is "decrepit", "cramped", "dated", "dumpy", "too far from New York", "Polaris is taking too long to roll out", "Terminal B is better", "Terminal 4 is better", "Delta is better", "CO was overrated", "Gordon Bethune is a jerk", ad infinitum. :lol:

Yes, I’m on here long enough to know! And I actually don’t get it. Some people behave like Delta v United v AA or EWR v JFK or B v A is a fight to the death like it’s a “Kal-if-fee”
It’s almost forbidden by law to say anything good about United!

LHUSA

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:19 am

VC10er wrote:
codc10 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Yes, I’m on here long enough to know! And I actually don’t get it. Some people behave like Delta v United v AA or EWR v JFK or B v A is a fight to the death like it’s a “Kal-if-fee”
It’s almost forbidden by law to say anything good about United!

Agreed. Just finished my 91st flight of the year on UA yesterday. Looking at my 2019 stats, only two flights delayed over 1 hour, Zero canceled, 87% within A15. Friendly crews, clean planes, the most interesting route network of the big 3, by far my most favorite app, and cool programs with Marriott emerging, Polaris Lounges, LOVE the CRJ550- I could go on and on. They had some rough post mergers year but people need to move - and they are starting to. Great to see that momentum. I fly DL second most and hard to find any true distinguishing factors a above United.

And very cool add with SFODUB! That one was a long-standing rumor, as noted due to the tech industry. Hope it does well.

ual763

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:00 am

x1234 wrote:
Looks like EWR-CPT is a winner. Is there any hope for UA to launch service to LOS & JNB (both served by Delta), the 2 biggest African markets currently not served by UA?

While JNB would be cool for sure, I just don’t think it will happen next. If United opened up EWR-JNB, it would hurt fellow SA member SAA who operates the flight out of JFK. I would think if it were to happen, United would simply ask SAA to move it’s operation to JNB over to EWR from JFK. I don’t think there is enough demand for both airlines in the same alliance to operate it in the NYC metro.

LOS would be a good choice, but personally, I think we will see Cairo (or possibly even Marrakech) started first.
From flying to the NOTAM office

intotheair

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:19 am

ual763 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

While JNB would be cool for sure, I just don’t think it will happen next. If United opened up EWR-JNB, it would hurt fellow SA member SAA who operates the flight out of JFK. I would think if it were to happen, United would simply ask SAA to move it’s operation to JNB over to EWR from JFK. I don’t think there is enough demand for both airlines in the same alliance to operate it in the NYC metro.

LOS would be a good choice, but personally, I think we will see Cairo (or possibly even Marrakech) started first.

I don’t think UA can do that. That would be a violation of antitrust laws. UA and SA don’t have any kind of antitrust immunity or joint venture, so they can’t coordinate schedules or prices. They can codeshare, and I think they probably already do, but they would need regulatory approval if they wanted to do anything more than that. Airlines that are in the same alliance but have no ATI or JV are effectively competitors.

UA was in LOS for several years but dropped it a few years ago because they somehow lost the ability to collect money from Nigerian point of sale. I don’t know if that’s changed or not.

I’d love to see a longer season or year round EWR-CPT as something different. I’d like to go there someday, though from here in SFO, the EWR connection for me doesn’t appear to be much better than DL through ATL to JNB or the many options through Europe.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

xxcr

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:53 am

VC10er wrote:
When I fly United into a non-hub domestic airport, unless it is a smaller nice airport like Tampa, I often find that the return flight experience stinks in terms of UA not having its own “gates and seating and no UC” - one example is Miami! I love Miami and go about 5x a year. But I dread the return flight as the UA gates seem split apart, there is no UC etc. There are others too. I know MIA is enemy territory, same goes for DL but at “least” DL has a club at least.
I don’t know how many UA aircraft arrive everyday but EWR, ORD, IAH & IAD do have multiple flights, United as many as 6 nonstops a day from EWR. I know they stopped SFO, but IF I was king (and money didn’t matter that much) I would give my SF & LA & DEN FF’s a good option (especially SFO and would use a 752 with bed seats) I would (especially because it’s AA’s turf) create a mini United branded presence at MIA. Does anyone know how many UA pax arrive and depart MIA in both low and High seasons? My last trip at Thanksgiving, UA added a E175 from EWR. It was a fabulous ride.
I think (although I know nothing) that there is an opportunity there to create a more robust UA MIA experience, and increase growth.

I fly to MIA 6-8x a year and i'm very surprised they dont have a club there. Lot of big spenders flying into MIA, im sure they would appreciate a club.

xxcr

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:53 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
77W:
N2250U B1 flight 12/17/19 - photos at this link - you may have to copy and paste to browser

Is this the 2nd 77W to wear the new livery from the factory?

KVH68

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:54 am

xxcr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
77W:

Is this the 2nd 77W to wear the new livery from the factory?

Yes, this is the second 77W to wear the new livery. The first one is at SFO undergoing induction.

snuggs28

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:12 am

snuggs28 wrote:
flight152 wrote:
snuggs28 wrote:
And then straight to TUP. It will broken up for parts. That Flight is UA2715-19 CLE-TUP.

She'll never fly in UA colors.

Really? All that for parts?

Not just 1. All 6 320's coming from Vueling...

Can't wait to see how the Easy Jet A319's will be integrated. Those have CFM Engines. All other's have the IAE's.

N2910U no longer going to TUP. Now will head to GYR for Storage. Unknown as to why. May have something to do with the continued Max shutdown. We have a couple of retired 320's in GYR. Could possibly swap interiors out. Depending on what type of Heavy Check this aircraft will need. Un-routed right now in CLE.

jetblastdubai

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:15 am

fun2fly wrote:

You just might be right there...unexpected...Boeing has holes to fill in the production slots...UA needs compensation...seems plausible. Buy 3 get one free? 26 frames strong x 77W is no joke.

I've seen the "production slots need to be filled" comment many times on here. Does anyone know for sure how many of these production slots there actually are and if they don't get filled, will production stop at a pre-determined time anyway?

That being said, I think the 77W is an absolute beast when it comes to moving both people and cargo long distances so for UAs route network, the more the merrier is good IMO.

FlyGuy27

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:47 am

Does anyone have photos of the refreshed 752 interiors? I think they're a great ride EWR-SFO/LAX, but they were getting unacceptably ratty on the inside.

VC10er

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:29 am

FlyGuy27 wrote:
Does anyone have photos of the refreshed 752 interiors? I think they're a great ride EWR-SFO/LAX, but they were getting unacceptably ratty on the inside.

I was on one in First about 4/5 weeks ago. I cannot recall if it was a transcontinental route or Denver...I “think” I took pics!

First clue is the new blue branding plaque on the wall as you board, and turn left.

The 2 most noticeable changes: the seat upholstery has been changed to the same as the Polaris seat. Headrest too in Polaris grey leather. Second is the front bulkhead: There is the new Polaris metal rectangular sign and the new silky warm grey wall paper- which doesn’t change anything really because the seats are still the older Diamond seats.
The NEW design for the narrow bodies that can be found only on the new, (but used), airbuses (which IMHO) is very nice and feels very much like the NEW UA,v is apparently for domestic First, and NOT Polaris. So, the 752’s that have been refurbished, have been given the “international” Polaris look (plain as that may be)

I assume you’ve seen the bulkheads with the sculpted tiles with the curve of the UA globe, one tile to the right is backlit with “UNITED POLARIS” and is also lit from underneath with LED light? It’s a moot point as UA has stopped installing them, would probably not have worked anyway as they needed a center bulkhead like a WB.

Q: Does anyone know if UA removed those fancy modern bulkheads from the initial birds that got them? I’ve only seen them on the original 77W’s that arrived and also couple of smaller versions made for the 767 Polaris refits.
(I don’t know why UA decided to eliminate them: either they were expensive, added weight or someone thought they went too far and didn’t like them? I would assume for the sake of consistency that UA has or will remove them from the birds that got them?) IMHO is a pity because now it’s just the seats alone and 1 metal sign on the right side bulkhead that provide for a branded “look & feel” for UNITED POLARIS. Perhaps they were a bit much, but they also POWERFULLY differentiated UA Polaris!

Back to the 752: After noticing that, you will notice new carpeting, and Diamond seat shells that look new (no scuffs or scratches) neatly replaced the foam strips around the bulkheads and sidewalls. The single off color wall panel on the front left remains!
And the TV screens and footrests all look new.
The service panels above remain unchanged and the lighting is still original.
The lavatory has been completely refinished and looks much better- but still blue water in the toilet bowl. It must have been a nightmare to wallpaper the lavatory: all the old metal fixtures remain (astray, door lock, bolts etc) and cutting the paper around them and other protruding things kind of shows. But the sink, splash board and grey wood cabernets below the sink look great

In summary: it’s a spruce up. They aren’t shabby old looking cabins anymore. But the 752 First/Polars really still looks mostly like Diamond seat CO BF cabin.

VC10er

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:43 am

If these rumors of more 77W’s come true (and I’ve lost count of how many more 789’s are definitely coming) and if UA firms up the additional 787-10’s, 50 A321XLR’s, and when ALL the used Airbus NB’s are in service and all the CRJ550’s are done, all E175’s AND the 737MAX’s are flying: then minus the retirements; what will a the UA fleet list look like? (Prior to 2027 and A350’s)
How much bigger will United’s total fleet be than it is today?
Aside from a simple desire to see the full fleet, it “feels” like UA will have many thousands of more seats to fill daily,, by (just guessing) 2025?

jayunited

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:14 pm

intotheair wrote:
UA was in LOS for several years but dropped it a few years ago because they somehow lost the ability to collect money from Nigerian point of sale. I don’t know if that’s changed or not.

I’d love to see a longer season or year round EWR-CPT as something different. I’d like to go there someday, though from here in SFO, the EWR connection for me doesn’t appear to be much better than DL through ATL to JNB or the many options through Europe.

Next year EWR-CPT will begin 6 weeks earlier than this year, on October 25, 2020, however as it stands right now it will still operated only 3x weekly and I'm not sure when the season will end in 2021 but I think it is safe to asme the season would end around March 29, 2021. I think there is a chance this route could go daily next season while retaining its seasonal service if the inaugural season is a smashing success. Those hoping for year round service I think it's still a few years away although there have been other routes that we've seen go from seasonal to year around fairly quickly, SFO-DEL comes to mind. That route has gone from seasonal daily service to year round service although from mid March through Mid October the route operated 3x weekly.

Looking at LOS if things have changed and UA is able to collect money on Nigerian point of sale tickets I think we might see UA return on this route. I don't know if it would be IAH-LOS or EWR-LOS.

Keeping the focus on Africa for the moment I would like to see UA launch service to JNB, and CAI. The last two which I know have even less of a chance of being launched would be seasonal service to NRO and perhaps even CMN.
Last edited by jayunited on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos