gwrudolph

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:32 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
sircygnus wrote:
Sort of random but does anyone have any insight into why United has zero non stops between PDX and LAX? Seems like a pretty glaring hole in their west coast network. They just must not want to battle other airlines in the route.

United is severely gate constrained at LAX (thanks SMI/J) so until they have access to more gates, they are focusing on higher yielding routes.

Assuming they don’t completely lose their competitive position at LAX before they get more gates. They are becoming less and less relevant at LAX with these cuts in some of these markets. You can add LAX-PHL and I believe LAX-BWI to that list of markets they’ve exited as well.

gwrudolph

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 pm

jayunited wrote:
antoniemey wrote:
And you're looking at it from a hub perspective with all the latest bells and whistles working.

Yes, the aircraft number should always be verified before marshaling the aircraft in. But in smaller outstations (where I have worked, but no longer do thanks to a better opportunity outside the industry) it is not uncommon to have flights arriving close to the same time with similar aircraft types and part or all of a ramp crew needing to help set up for and/or park both. When you're out setting up your gate at these small stations, sometimes your first indicator that one of your aircraft is on the ground is seeing it taxi around the end of the next concourse. If you're expecting 2 flights close together and one is an A319 and the other an A320, looking towards the overwing exits can quickly tell you which of your gates you need to move towards to be prepared to park the thing, before it's close enough to read any numbers.

Naturally, it doesn't always work, because if you're expecting 2 A319s (or worse, 2 CRJs or ERJs) there's no way to distinguish them until they are close enough to read numbers. As far as a 900A vs a 900ER, at the station I worked that got them they were handled the same way for pretty much all purposes on our end. Same parking line, same equipment needed set up before arrival, etc. Load and unload order might be different, but, again, that comes after you're actually close enough to see the ship number. Well after.

But, the original comment that sparked this discussion was how one would tell an A319 from an A320 where the 319 has extra overwing exits... leading to the fact that if the exit is deactivated, that exit, while visible for someone near the plane, will not have the outlining paint ring and thus not be a factor in aircraft identification from a distance.

Your post is almost laughable if you were being so serious. I will give you line stations have to cover both above and below wing and have flights arriving at the same time the same equipment type but so do hubs. Now days and even before I left the ramp, people on the ramp no longer worked just one gate you are working multiple gates, you're parking one aircraft and the supervisor or ROC is telling you go to the next gate to park that arrival. Which is why I stated the best way to identify your aircraft type is first by aircraft number the second number after the "4" will tell you whether you should be expecting a A319 or an A320 not over wing exits. The number "4" tells you its an Airbus the number after the "4" will tell you which type and its doesn't matter whether your at a hub or line station, whether you have an EFID screen or not everyone has access to the ALR (arrival loading record) which give you the aircraft number. My ramp trainer years ago taught my class many things however the two things we had to learn and had to pass when the test came around was the city codes test and the aircraft recognition test using only the aircraft nose number. Now that I'm at Willis I don't physically see or touch aircraft but I know what type of aircraft I'm either working or reading about in a report from the nose number. Learn what those nose numbers mean and you will never again have a problem identifying the type of aircraft you should be parking. This method can also be applied to the sCO fleet even though the first number on the nose of that entire fleet starts with a "3" knowing what that second or third number means will tell you exactly the type of aircraft to expect at your gate. Nose numbers might seem random and may not make a lot of sense to the flying public but for people who work for the airline especially people on the ramp who are marshaling these aircraft in to gates they need to be able to identify aircraft types by nose number. People should be able to pull up their arrival paperwork and know if they are meeting a A319, A320, 737-700/800/900, sUA 752, sCO 752/3, 763/4, 772/3, 788/9/10. Learn what those numbers mean and you will know what to expect before the aircraft is even approaching the gate or lead in line.

PMUA always had a very nice clean nose numbering system with the first two representing the fleet/sub fleet and the third/fourth representing the specific aircraft in that fleet/subfleet. I wonder why they didn’t attempt to integrate the PMCO fleet into that system vs leaving all starting with a 3? Wonder if they will eventually?

calpsafltskeds

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:43 pm

763:
N657UA entered MCO 2746/7Jan

77W:
N2140U sked to exit SFO 869/10Jan, SFO-HKG with PE/PP.
Seat map not updated yet, but middle seats on window triple in first 3 rows are empty. They'll have to move the 4th row elsewhere as those seats don't exist.
Several candidates for next one into mod due current fleet routing, but too early to post.

wn676

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm

N17002 is in SFO for gate fits today and then headed down to LAX.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

iahcsr

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Briancw wrote:
codc10 wrote:
Briancw wrote:
Is UA no longer operating non-stop EWR-DUS? ITA Matrix shows it, but I can't find it on United's site...

And for anyone else interested in this route, LH no longer operates it and has moved EW to cover in its place.

Not for almost 20 years... IIRC it went away not long after 9/11.

Hmmm...I thought I flew with UA (on UA metal) 4 or 5 years ago out of EWR to DUS...perhaps it was only LH.

As I recall CO was serving both EWR DUS / STN pre 9/11. Both ceased almost immediately afterwards.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

CONTACREW

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 pm

78J as well as updated seatmaps for 77W and 772 with PE are now up on united.com. Note that the 772 with PE is under the 50/242 label.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

VC10er

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:23 am

Is there a way to find refitted 772 and 763’s on United.com and the routes they are on, other than hunting dates and destinations? Or is there a dedicated place within their website that show all the different seat maps.
I am off to Geneva next weekend and coming back via Madrid. I looked at many other cities from Geneva to connect to UA metal (premium heavy kinds of cities) and found nothing. It almost seems like they have 30 764’s instead of the 15/16 they have, or still many 2 and 3 class 772s.
It looks like Geneva will be a popular destination this year for me, so I’m hoping soon to get a 763 refit soon.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

adamblang

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 am

146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

cosyr

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:11 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
78J as well as updated seatmaps for 77W and 772 with PE are now up on united.com. Note that the 772 with PE is under the 50/242 label.

It is interesting that they bothered to remake the 772 map with Global First to relabel it as Polaris Business. I suppose they will be around for a few more months, but I think anyone who didn't know, would have just found it a happy surprise that they could select one of those seats without an upgrade.

Also, it appears that they renumbered the rows in Y starting at 30, instead of starting at row 24 at door 4. It may give them flexibility if they ever in the future decide to reduce J and increase either W or Y.

VC10er

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

adamblang wrote:

Oh my goodness! THANK YOU!
Actually I found out about the old 3 class 772 Global First seats as being open to selection when you buy J and choose your seat. I was off to GRU early December and on one, I called United to find out if I could use an upgrade to get up there, and she sweetly responded that I could select one same as any of the other Business seats!” I had missed that seat goodbye long ago, it was nice to be in one again- although they were best on the 747!
The service is exactly the same as J, but you still get a white duvet!

Question: is there any other airline in the world that will have the same volume/ratio of a “Business First” cabin as United will? When looking at each seat map of true Polaris aircraft, (new or refitted) Polaris cabins are virtually HALF the entire aircraft.

iahcsr

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 pm

intotheair wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
39M
N27511 This aircraft has been “Ready for Delivery” for almost ten days, yet it still sits at BFI. It’s been suggested that due to the government shutdown the FAA is not doing any required inspections or paperwork sign offs at this time, hence all such things are at a standstill. Anyone have any knowledge as to this?

According to this AP story, that is correct:

Safety inspectors aren't even on the job. A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said Monday that inspectors are being called back to work on a case-by-case basis, with a priority put on inspecting airline fleets.

FAA spokesman Gregory Martin said the agency has been recalling inspectors for certain jobs including assignments at the airlines, as it did in previous government shutdowns.

"We're going to continue to prioritize with the resources that we have," Martin said. "Our focus is on the commercial air carriers and volumes of people they carry."

Martin did not say how many inspectors are working or how the number of inspections being done compared with pre-shutdown levels.

Chuck Banks, one of those furloughed inspectors, said colleagues are being called in when an airline needs something, like a plane certified for flight. The routine, normal oversight of operations at airlines and repair shops is not being done, leaving companies to regulate themselves, he said.

"Do you like the fox watching the hen house?" he said. "Every day the government stays shut down, it gets less safe to fly."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 511468002/

It does appear there will be no Deliveries, perhaps no predelivery flight testing at all, until the government shutdown has ended. :mad: :banghead:

FlyHossD

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 pm

FSDan wrote:
CO (and then maybe UA for a while after the merger?) flew EWR-CGN for a number of years. I think EWR-DUS was always LH, though.

CO did fly DC-10s between EWR and DUS. It was one flight that I really wanted to try, but never did before CO stopped flying it. Also, I recommended it to an acquaintance back then - he needed to get to DUS for business - and I remember how happy he was after the flights (good flights and a successful business trip).

IIRC, LH flies EWR-DUS, but I haven't checked in recent years.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:23 pm

iahcsr wrote:
intotheair wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
39M
N27511 This aircraft has been “Ready for Delivery” for almost ten days, yet it still sits at BFI. It’s been suggested that due to the government shutdown the FAA is not doing any required inspections or paperwork sign offs at this time, hence all such things are at a standstill. Anyone have any knowledge as to this?

According to this AP story, that is correct:

Safety inspectors aren't even on the job. A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said Monday that inspectors are being called back to work on a case-by-case basis, with a priority put on inspecting airline fleets.

FAA spokesman Gregory Martin said the agency has been recalling inspectors for certain jobs including assignments at the airlines, as it did in previous government shutdowns.

"We're going to continue to prioritize with the resources that we have," Martin said. "Our focus is on the commercial air carriers and volumes of people they carry."

Martin did not say how many inspectors are working or how the number of inspections being done compared with pre-shutdown levels.

Chuck Banks, one of those furloughed inspectors, said colleagues are being called in when an airline needs something, like a plane certified for flight. The routine, normal oversight of operations at airlines and repair shops is not being done, leaving companies to regulate themselves, he said.

"Do you like the fox watching the hen house?" he said. "Every day the government stays shut down, it gets less safe to fly."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 511468002/

It does appear there will be no Deliveries, perhaps no predelivery flight testing at all, until the government shutdown has ended. :mad: :banghead:

Safety inspectors are definitely still on the job because they're essential, but their focus would be on existing fleets. Basically anything excess has been put on hold. Any checkrides, projects, etc. have been put on indefinite hold, and whenever the shutdown does end, it'll take a while to spool things back up again. We've been told that CPDLC (DataComm) implementation at most enroute facilities originally scheduled to launch this spring may be delayed by a much as a year. I'm guessing ADS-B implementation next January will slip now too. So, even if the shutdown were to end tomorrow, I wouldn't expect safety inspectors to be rushing out to take care of new deliveries. That backlog will take weeks or more to clear, so UA and others could have new airplanes sitting around for quite a while.

FSDan

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
IIRC, LH flies EWR-DUS, but I haven't checked in recent years.

LH ended EWR-DUS fairly recently, handing it off to EW instead.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

notconcerned

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:29 am

VC10er wrote:
Question: is there any other airline in the world that will have the same volume/ratio of a “Business First” cabin as United will? When looking at each seat map of true Polaris aircraft, (new or refitted) Polaris cabins are virtually HALF the entire aircraft.

Yes - quite a few airlines have the same if not more first/business seats than UA 77W at 60J:
NH 77W 8F68J, BA 77W 14F56J, JL 77W 8F49J, AF 77W 4F58J, CX 77W 6F53J, AA 77W 8F52J

calpsafltskeds

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 am

763:
N657UA sked to exit MCO 2788/10Jan, looks like short visits starting again in MCO for 763s

77W:
N2341U is next PE bird, entered SFO 59/7Jan

789:
N17963 entered XMN 2751/9Jan, expect routine maint.

VC10er

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm

notconcerned wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Yes - quite a few airlines have the same if not more first/business seats than UA 77W at 60J:
NH 77W 8F68J, BA 77W 14F56J, JL 77W 8F49J, AF 77W 4F58J, CX 77W 6F53J, AA 77W 8F52J

Wow, thanks! I am actually amazed that these airlines mentioned above can fill those seats with (mostly) paying customers. It makes me wonder if (what) the total annual revenue generated from one UA refurbished 767 or 777 in these high Polaris/premium configurations will bring in vs the older layouts. My RT fare on UA next week EWR to Geneva is $7400! Swiss was $10,000+
One of the downsides of owning your own small company is that I (we) cannot negotiate a discount via a contract, we don’t have the size for volume discounts.
I have thought of forming an alliance of small businesses that together would represent enough employees to be able to have some leverage for a discount on one or two carriers. (but who has the time!?!)

calpsafltskeds

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:42 pm

77W:
N2140U exit now delayed at SFO and N2341U sked to cover,exiting SFO today, so not in Mod

DBKissORD

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Does anyone know what happened to 757-300 N75853 at ORD. It had a reported hydraulic problem and blown tire on January 1st. It's still at ORD and not scheduled to leave until January 12th according to flight view with a test flight today cancelled. Seems odd repairs would take that long unless the issue is a lot more serious than reported.

janders

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Story/interview with Oscar about the soon arriving high premium configured 767-300s

United CEO Wants More Business Class Seats in Jets Flying Transatlantic
https://skift.com/2019/01/10/united-swa ... satlantic/
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LAXintl

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 pm

janders wrote:
Story/interview with Oscar about the soon arriving high premium configured 767-300s

Certainly risky move UA is making.

If the economy indeed slows and business travel drops it could leave them in a bad spot with these uniquely configured aircraft.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

fun2fly

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 pm

LAXintl wrote:
janders wrote:

If the economy indeed slows and business travel drops it could leave them in a bad spot with these uniquely configured aircraft.

46 Polaris / 22 Prem Econ / 99 Coach is not that risky on an a/c that has probably 6-7 years left of flying. I believe it's the perfect a/c to places like LHR where there is high demand for the front of the cabin and you can leave the back for your loyal customers (99 of them) and the non loyal price sensitive ones can fly Norweigan (if it's still around).

cosyr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 am

fun2fly wrote:

[/quote]
He says that last Mon/Tues and this coming Monday are the busiest booking days of the year. I never knew that that was something predictable. There are certain days you can predict will be the busiest flying days, like Wed before and Sun after Thanksgiving, but how can you know when people will book the tickets for their flights...down to the exact day. I know they have a rough estimate of how many seats should be sold 90/60/30 days out, but what about the 2nd and 3rd Mondays in January makes them the busiest?

jayunited

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 am

LAXintl wrote:
janders wrote:

I understand your concern but BA, LH and other international carriers have premium heavy aircraft and they have survived the most recent economic turn down.
Now let me say before I get skewered I know UA is no BA, LH, NH, SQ or other airline that has a premium heavy configuration on select aircraft. That being said I do think this configuration on these select 763s will work because of the routes UA intends to place them on and I think because this configuration is limited to a select number of aircraft that limitation should help UA weather any future economic storms.
Think about UA's former P.S. routes and fast forward to today routes EWR-LAX/SFO and BOS-LAX/SFO and we now a mixture of premium heavy and standard configuration. I'm bringing up the former P.S. routes and our current EWR-LAX/SFO service in particular because these routes have survived an economic down turn. If UA does in fact utilize these premium heavy 763s to business destinations in Europe like LHR I think the intermixing of premium heavy and standard configured aircraft would work just like it does on EWR-LAX/SFO and now BOS-LAX/SFO.

DBKissORD

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 am

janders wrote:

If demand slows on these routes they could still sell business at a discount over today’s rates and still make money. These birds probably helps them with some corporate contracts due to available premium seats. These sound like great charter aircraft as well.

xxcr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:46 am

Now that UA is flying the 78J and 73J, should we expect UA to receive the A359 or will they keep pushing the deliveries?

iahcsr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:56 am

xxcr wrote:
Now that UA is flying the 78J and 73J, should we expect UA to receive the A359 or will they keep pushing the deliveries?

My money is on yes.... the A359 will come... Why do I say this.... Just plain old gut feeling.

UPlog

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 am

Having a fleet (16?) of low density 763 will certainly be a problem in an economic slowdown. Corporations pull premium class travel spend fast when things head south. Economy class demand has always been more resilient.
Even AA during the 2008-2009 decline complained it had too many premium seats on its then 772 fleet even in top corporate markets like NYC-London as key sectors like financial firms slashed their travel on both sides of the Atlantic.

Such a configuration might indeed be a winner in good times, but it could end up being a millstone for UA if things turn for the worse.

calpsafltskeds

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 am

763:
N664UA entered MCO 2747/9Jan

77W:
N2341U apparently ddn't have to exit SFO, so is still in PE mod since 1/7

fun2fly

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

UPlog wrote:
Having a fleet (16?) of low density 763 will certainly be a problem in an economic slowdown. Corporations pull premium class travel spend fast when things head south. Economy class demand has always been more resilient.
Even AA during the 2008-2009 decline complained it had too many premium seats on its then 772 fleet even in top corporate markets like NYC-London as key sectors like financial firms slashed their travel on both sides of the Atlantic.

Such a configuration might indeed be a winner in good times, but it could end up being a millstone for UA if things turn for the worse.

True, business class spending and travel in general are cut when the economy is poor.

However, with as many routes and a/c options as UA has, it's not that big of a risk to mod 16 out of 750+ a/c fleet (2%). Think about the next 7 years (my estimated remaining life of these units putting them approx 27-28 years old). If the economy tanks, UA could simply retire older 757's and slide these 767's to the PS routes and move the planned 737MAX10 from PS routes into mainline service replacing retiring Airbus a/c. If you look at UA's fleet as it stands, they could jettison a good number of a/c at anytime - it's well balanced from an age perspective. Don't forget there are a lot of 772A's that need to retire in the next 7 years also.

jayunited

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 pm

iahcsr wrote:
xxcr wrote:

My money is on yes.... the A359 will come... Why do I say this.... Just plain old gut feeling.

I'm still on the fence about this one, reason is UA has a lot more ultra long haul routes than for instance AA or DL. While the 789 is certainly a great and capable aircraft we do know certain routes our out of its range. The 789 can comfortable fly SFO-SIN-SFO profitable, but it can't do LAX-SIN-LAX and turn a profit. The 789 can also cover IAH-SYD with a full passenger load but when heading westbound we can't take any cargo but on the return eastbound leg we can take a full passenger load and about 18,000 - 25,000 pounds of cargo depending on the fuel load and other factors. Knowing that UA wants to get back into the LAX-SIN market the only aircraft on the market or soon to be on the market that can is the right size for that market is the A359ULR. Its not just the LAX-SIN market there are other ULH markets UA is examining quietly that are beyond the capabilities of our 789s and Boeings 778 is simply to big for for UA use in these ULH markets. Which means if the chatter and rumors have any serious foundation in truth UA will take delivery of the A359 and might even convert a small portion of the existing over over to the A359ULR in a a more premium heavy configuration.

CALTECH

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Acquisitions

4910 A320-232 910 1749 N2910U 2002 910 18 EC-LQL/Vueling
4911 A320-232 911 1914 N4911U 2003 911 18 EC-LRE/Vueling
4912 A320-232 912 1933 N4912U 2003 912 18 EC-LQZ/Vueling
4913 A320-232 913 2168 N1913U 2004 913 18 EC-LQN/Vueling
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

VC10er

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Great read! I can only tell my personal story of business travel during the “Great Recession” of 2006/7. Any executive at my old company of 180,000 employees who had the rank to fly business, retained that ability. I traveled a lot in that job, on average 200,000 a year, the vast majority was international and very often to London.
I did fly BA often in those days as well as United. I do not recall those business cabins being anything but full. However the ticket was only $3000+ RT, a very steep corporate discount.
At that time I do recall that UA MP was extremely generous and a great magent over BA’s point based system. My partner and I traveled the world using the miles I had earned.
But I also vividly recall how difficult business was, my office shrank at least 40%. Laying off many, many gifted, hard working people. It really was painful and I pray that we don’t ever live through another downturn at that scale. It was painfully depressing.
I wish UA good luck with these high premium 767s!

FlightLevel360

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm

UPlog wrote:

I am more concerned with the fact that they have decided to make all window/aisle seats on the sides of the aircraft Economy Plus and are thus charging for them.

As a window seat lover, I am incredibly disappointed by this fact. I will be avoiding this configuration as long as I am in Y-. This suddenly makes the 777 with 3-4-3 economy much more appealing.
It's not the A220. It's the Bombardier CSeries. Period.
Long live the A380 and 747!

CALTECH

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:12 pm

United Regains Its Rank as the World’s No. 2 Airline

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... hub-growth
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

B737900ER

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm

jayunited wrote:
Now let me say before I get skewered I know UA is no BA,

You are correct. UA is far better than BA. UA doesn’t charge for water.

United1

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

FlightLevel360 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

I am more concerned with the fact that they have decided to make all window/aisle seats on the sides of the aircraft Economy Plus and are thus charging for them.

As a window seat lover, I am incredibly disappointed by this fact. I will be avoiding this configuration as long as I am in Y-. This suddenly makes the 777 with 3-4-3 economy much more appealing.

There are a few rows in the back (one row on the left side and four on the right) that are regular Y seats so might get lucky and get a window even in Y.
Last edited by United1 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United1

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Acquisitions

Whooooo....cool that will bring the A320 fleet up to 103 frames.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

fun2fly

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

United1 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Acquisitions

Whooooo....cool that will bring the A320 fleet up to 103 frames.

Nice add and they are all younger than UA's factory delivered fleet. Comfortable a/c. The 320's have been more elusive on the second hand market vs. 319's.

FlightLevel360

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm

I find the 737 fleet more comfortable than the A320 in economy. How is the secondhand market for 737s? Is it much more difficult to obtain used frames in the age range United desires?
It's not the A220. It's the Bombardier CSeries. Period.
Long live the A380 and 747!

iahcsr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Acquisitions

That there is a gap from 4902-4910 suggestes a possibility of more exCZ 320s to come.... kinda, sorta, maybe.

United1

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm

FlightLevel360 wrote:
I find the 737 fleet more comfortable than the A320 in economy. How is the secondhand market for 737s? Is it much more difficult to obtain used frames in the age range United desires?

737-700s are a bit harder to find as WN had been snapping them up.

I know UA has been looking at used 737s as well as Airbii so really just depends on what they can find.

UPlog

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Some insight into UA corporate accounts. Interesting Apple is the #1 account by such a large margin.

https://twitter.com/LAflyr/status/1083787010186260480

United787

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:38 pm

UPlog wrote:
Some insight into UA corporate accounts. Interesting Apple is the #1 account by such a large margin.

Really interesting, surprised they would make that public.

I wonder if this is just SFO/LAX accounts and info?

Okcflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:50 pm

FlightLevel360 wrote:

A titan name Southwest Airlines aggressively acquired many of the 737-700 and a few -800 frames that became available over the past few years.

EDIT: Late post -- someone else already covered this.

janders

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm

UPlog wrote:

Thanks for finding that twitter link. Quite interesting. Indeed amazing how important Apple is compared to other companies.

United787 wrote:
Really interesting, surprised they would make that public. I wonder if this is just SFO/LAX accounts and info?

Based on wording, I would say its network wide as it clearly says "our largest global account" and "total annual revenue"
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

fun2fly

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm

United787 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

50 business class seats daily on the SFO>PVG run...a full 789's worth daily! No wonder UA has to go 2x daily on the route. Wow.

xxcr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:05 pm

jayunited wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
xxcr wrote:

I'm still on the fence about this one, reason is UA has a lot more ultra long haul routes than for instance AA or DL. While the 789 is certainly a great and capable aircraft we do know certain routes our out of its range. The 789 can comfortable fly SFO-SIN-SFO profitable, but it can't do LAX-SIN-LAX and turn a profit. The 789 can also cover IAH-SYD with a full passenger load but when heading westbound we can't take any cargo but on the return eastbound leg we can take a full passenger load and about 18,000 - 25,000 pounds of cargo depending on the fuel load and other factors. Knowing that UA wants to get back into the LAX-SIN market the only aircraft on the market or soon to be on the market that can is the right size for that market is the A359ULR. Its not just the LAX-SIN market there are other ULH markets UA is examining quietly that are beyond the capabilities of our 789s and Boeings 778 is simply to big for for UA use in these ULH markets. Which means if the chatter and rumors have any serious foundation in truth UA will take delivery of the A359 and might even convert a small portion of the existing over over to the A359ULR in a a more premium heavy configuration.

I'm actually surprised UA is able to make the SFO-SIN-SFO without issue, yet the LAX-SIN-LAX is having issues with weight. Those two cities are only separated by what, 400 miles? Can the A359 make the
LAX-SIN-LAX without load restrictons? or would they need the A359ULR?

xxcr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 pm

fun2fly wrote:
United787 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

50 business class seats daily on the SFO>PVG run...a full 789's worth daily! No wonder UA has to go 2x daily on the route. Wow.

96 J seats to be exact, unless they switch to a 772 or 773. I'm still waiting for UA to add a 2nd SFO-HKG flight!

LAXintl

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 pm

United787 wrote:

Seems they currently have a push internally to take extra special care of Apple as the contract is up for renewal now in Q1.

Also now one understands why some routes received the 77W pretty early - such as TPE, and why some new SFO routes have been launched like TLV.

xxcr wrote:
I'm actually surprised UA is able to make the SFO-SIN-SFO without issue, yet the LAX-SIN-LAX is having issues with weight. Those two cities are only separated by what, 400 miles? Can the A359 make the
LAX-SIN-LAX without load restrictons? or would they need the A359ULR?

That 400mi is 1-hour additional flight time (cost + added fuel weight)
UA was taking as many as 60-70 seatblocks westbound during deep winter months especially.

xxcr wrote:
I'm still waiting for UA to add a 2nd SFO-HKG flight!

Not sure we will see that. They are about to take a $206mil impairment charge associated with its Hong Kong routes.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos