akb88
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 pm

N17128 flying as UA139 KEF - EWR just returned to KEF with reported engine issue.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 9#21d95c13
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2973
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 pm

738
N13248 entered AMA paint 2747/23Aug for Globe Evolution paint

77W:
N2341U exited HKG 2776/26Aug, ferry to SFO, no revenue flights sked after that
 
Cmac787
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Some of the 767-300’s are looking pretty bad. The worse is Mesa 506MJ CR7. The whole top of the fuselage has peeled off.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:36 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
738
N13248 entered AMA paint 2747/23Aug for Globe Evolution paint

77W:
N2341U exited HKG 2776/26Aug, ferry to SFO, no revenue flights sked after that


N2341U had an unschedule engine change take place at HKG.
I forget the exact date UA862 was canceled and what precipitated that engine change and I've already left work for the day but its going to SFO Maintenance for some additional maintenance before reentering revenue service.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2973
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:50 am

That was 862/20Aug that was cancelled on N2341U.

The new Paint section of the Fleet Website now includes Express Fleet ( bottom tab of spreadsheet).
https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfle ... n-progress
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 am

Cmac787 wrote:
Some of the 767-300’s are looking pretty bad. The worse is Mesa 506MJ CR7. The whole top of the fuselage has peeled off.

Yeah, snapped a photo of 506MJ arriving in late March and you could clearly tell the paint on that aircraft has seen better days.

Perhaps the Mesa CRJ7 fleet will not to see the new livery? The 20 firmed E175s ordered at PAS19 are slated to arrive in Q2 2020, with deliveries continuing through the end of the year. They are very likely going to YV to replace their CRJ7s one-for-one.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:47 am

Question: when I fly transcontinental, SFO/LAX I will always look for the 1 often 2 787-10s that day from EWR.
How long will UA feel its necessary to use them transcontinental- the contrast between them and their 752’s and HD 772’s are virtually jarring.

I sometimes think of the pax who booked F not really caring, getting a 78X out (thinking WOW, this spectacular!) then on the return getting a 752 and (thinking WTF?) - probably rare but you get my point.

I always figured these were for training purposes, but is UA considering always having a 78X flying transcon- or perhaps squeezing in some freed up 763’s?

Frankly I’d love 1 Stratocruiser a day!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 am

Runway28L wrote:
Cmac787 wrote:
...Perhaps the Mesa CRJ7 fleet will not to see the new livery? The 20 firmed E175s ordered at PAS19 are slated to arrive in Q2 2020, with deliveries continuing through the end of the year. They are very likely going to YV to replace their CRJ7s one-for-one.


Which E175s are going to ExpressJet as 70-seaters? I've lost track of those.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:53 am

VC10er wrote:
...I sometimes think of the pax who booked F not really caring, getting a 78X out (thinking WOW, this spectacular!) then on the return getting a 752 and (thinking WTF?) - probably rare but you get my point...

...Frankly I’d love 1 Stratocruiser a day!


I had a ride upfront in a sCO 752 recently and I was pretty happy. Although it seemed a bit dated, I saw nothing out of place, worn out, threadbare and everything worked. The cabin service was good, too.

A Stratocruiser! A great idea and something I'd do if I had Bill Gates or Warren Buffet's wallet.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am

VC10er wrote:
I always figured these were for training purposes, but is UA considering always having a 78X flying transcon- or perhaps squeezing in some freed up 763’s?


I'd expect to continue seeing the 78Xs on EWR-SFO/EWR-LAX for the foreseeable future. LAX-HND will be a 787-10 route when it starts in March, and I believe both SFO-PVG and LAX-PVG will see 787-10s at various points this winter.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
The777Man
Posts: 6083
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 1999 4:54 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 am

FSDan wrote:
VC10er wrote:
I always figured these were for training purposes, but is UA considering always having a 78X flying transcon- or perhaps squeezing in some freed up 763’s?


I'd expect to continue seeing the 78Xs on EWR-SFO/EWR-LAX for the foreseeable future. LAX-HND will be a 787-10 route when it starts in March, and I believe both SFO-PVG and LAX-PVG will see 787-10s at various points this winter.


Also you can sell premium products like Polaris and Premium Plus all the way from West Coast to Europe and later from East Coast to Shanghai....Capacity needed at those times for connections so I agree that the 781 is here to stay on SFO/LAX-EWR vv.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777
 
VC10er
Posts: 4132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:53 am

FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
...I sometimes think of the pax who booked F not really caring, getting a 78X out (thinking WOW, this spectacular!) then on the return getting a 752 and (thinking WTF?) - probably rare but you get my point...

...Frankly I’d love 1 Stratocruiser a day!


I had a ride upfront in a sCO 752 recently and I was pretty happy. Although it seemed a bit dated, I saw nothing out of place, worn out, threadbare and everything worked. The cabin service was good, too.

A Stratocruiser! A great idea and something I'd do if I had Bill Gates or Warren Buffet's wallet.


Well that is good to hear! Maybe UA has gone into F on the 752’s and spruced them up! It’s been at least 5/6 months since I’ve been on a trancon 752, and for the couple of years prior to that I saw some “extremely bad” wear and tear.

I like the Diamond seat just fine for transcon, it’s very comfortable and has some storage space. When NOT worn out, it looks fine but conspicuously uninspired and plain blue grey on top of more blue grey. Meanwhile: other airlines here and around the world have much more modern and attractive interior’s they are branded by design vs branded by its plainness. (I have rose colored glasses from the first time I boarded a new ps 752 from JFK, at that time it was a “Wow!” - and before I realized that business was actually more comfortable than the angled lie flat ala SQ. (For the record I don’t think UA’s future “ps” should be exactly like international Polaris) But for those who get a taste of the Polaris and purple PE on the 1 or 2 78X on transcon- it’s a good way for peeps to check it out. If I were king, I’d create a special “Polaris inspired” transcon hard product (I personally think the brand new FULL TREATMENT interior design on a used
A319 is “inspired by Polars” look. The conundrum is “on what aircraft type”

Yeah: a Stratocruiser 1 time a day (albeit slower) would be really exciting- but with up to date interior tech. It’s ok to dream!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 pm

The777Man wrote:
FSDan wrote:
VC10er wrote:
I always figured these were for training purposes, but is UA considering always having a 78X flying transcon- or perhaps squeezing in some freed up 763’s?


I'd expect to continue seeing the 78Xs on EWR-SFO/EWR-LAX for the foreseeable future. LAX-HND will be a 787-10 route when it starts in March, and I believe both SFO-PVG and LAX-PVG will see 787-10s at various points this winter.


Also you can sell premium products like Polaris and Premium Plus all the way from West Coast to Europe and later from East Coast to Shanghai....Capacity needed at those times for connections so I agree that the 781 is here to stay on SFO/LAX-EWR vv.

The777Man


So, in other words, using a 78X transcon is now actually part of creating the full experience say from EWR to SFO then connect to 78X or 77W to a AsiaPac destination? Are they timed to do that vs a EWR nonstop to AsiaPac, same for SFO/LAX to EWR to connect to Europe?

I have one last 772 refurbishment question: I see that the EWR to GRU is an old 3 class 772, and HD 772 to Madrid at the moment. I’m assuming that will be changing well before summer 2020? Are those 2 destinations low premium markets? (Iberia business looks strange to me, both seat design, placement and color), Air Europa Biz looks much nicer. Not groundbreaking but nice enough!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:01 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
Which E175s are going to ExpressJet as 70-seaters? I've lost track of those.

The ones currently being delivered are going to ExpressJet. I believe 13 have been delivered out of 25 total frames.

The 20 firm orders that start arriving in Q2 2020 will likely go to Mesa, while I expect the 19 options from that same order to be firmed up and go to SkyWest. That order is likely going to replace the remainder of CRJ7 flying in the UA network (minus the ones in the CRJ5 config of course).
 
EssentialBusDC
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Just announced internally, a 787 base in ORD to open in Spring 2020, initially replacing some 777 routes to Europe.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:18 pm

EssentialBusDC wrote:
Just announced internally, a 787 base in ORD to open in Spring 2020, initially replacing some 777 routes to Europe.


Cool! I'd guess these will be 78Js routes. CDG, BRU, FRA, and/or MUC would seem to fit the bill. Especially the first three as they already see 78J service from EWR, and could be used to rotate aircraft to ORD.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 pm

VC10er wrote:
So, in other words, using a 78X transcon is now actually part of creating the full experience say from EWR to SFO then connect to 78X or 77W to a AsiaPac destination? Are they timed to do that vs a EWR nonstop to AsiaPac, same for SFO/LAX to EWR to connect to Europe?


The eastbound 78J transcon flights do connect to the afternoon EWR transatlantic bank. The exception is the 2nd daily LAX-EWR 78J flight, which is a redeye with a morning return to LAX from EWR. I don't think EWR-West Coast-Asia flights are really the target since those connections would be far out of the way, but I do think the timing works pretty well for connecting through SFO/LAX to Oceania.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Runway28L wrote:
I expect the 19 options from that same order to be firmed up and go to SkyWest. That order is likely going to replace the remainder of CRJ7 flying in the UA network (minus the ones in the CRJ5 config of course).


I think UA will need to keep at least a token amount of CR7 flying going at SkyWest in order to support all their ASE service. They're the dominant player in that lucrative market, so unless the E75 gets certified for flying into ASE I think the CR7 will stick around at UA for the foreseeable future.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23924
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Initially BRU, FRA and MUC starting with IATA Sum 2020 skeds. Initial 787 pilot base with 95 positions rising to 250ish by S21. ORD 777 base sees draw down losing almost 2/3 of positions however.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
sircygnus
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Just announced internally, a 787 base in ORD to open in Spring 2020, initially replacing some 777 routes to Europe.


Just announced publicly on Facebook page as well.
Look forward to seeing them!!!
 
FSDan
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Initially BRU, FRA and MUC starting with IATA Sum 2020 skeds. Initial 787 pilot base with 95 positions rising to 250ish by S21. ORD 777 base sees draw down losing almost 2/3 of positions however.


I wonder if that indicates the next batch of 789s arriving could be used to replace 772s on ORD-Asia services. Seems like perhaps the domestic 772 flights will be all that's left in a few years (I assume the same 777 base staffs both the domestic and international 772s?).
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Great new for ORD! Finally getting the 787! Any idea when IAH could see the 78X for regular service?
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 13885
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Where are the displaced 777s going? Domestic? Replacing 764s which can operate EWR-LAX/SFO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

About time UA deploys some 787s to ORD. It wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of their ORD Asia routes (sans HND) get 787s.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:20 pm

FSDan wrote:
VC10er wrote:
So, in other words, using a 78X transcon is now actually part of creating the full experience say from EWR to SFO then connect to 78X or 77W to a AsiaPac destination? Are they timed to do that vs a EWR nonstop to AsiaPac, same for SFO/LAX to EWR to connect to Europe?


The eastbound 78J transcon flights do connect to the afternoon EWR transatlantic bank. The exception is the 2nd daily LAX-EWR 78J flight, which is a redeye with a morning return to LAX from EWR. I don't think EWR-West Coast-Asia flights are really the target since those connections would be far out of the way, but I do think the timing works pretty well for connecting through SFO/LAX to Oceania.


I can’t remember the actual schedule, maybe I can go back and look, but I recall flying to HK and internationally did not take the nonstop from EWR because they were Diamond seats back then, so I went through SFO to get a Polaris 77W. It was early days and remember how much I disliked the amenity kit that was “too much” in a zipper portfolio thing with pouches inside. While it looked like UA spent a fortune on them, they had no “reuse” value. (The next amenity kit was (IMHO) perfect, although so much was removed, I still use the outer kit today for stuff. (Off track)

So, I am left wondering why UA has a couple/few
“Jewel in the Crown” type of aircraft like the 787-10 doing transcon when it could be flying to a European destination, that’s currently being flown with a 764 or old 772, where UNITED could be charging much higher fares for Polaris/PE in cases where she is NOT providing a seamless experience premium experience to EWR and beyond?
(Perhaps they cannot fill her with paying Polaris/PE to GRU? I’m surprised that an old 3 class is “still” on that route!)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
notconcerned
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:47 pm

VC10er wrote:
So, I am left wondering why UA has a couple/few
“Jewel in the Crown” type of aircraft like the 787-10 doing transcon when it could be flying to a European destination, that’s currently being flown with a 764 or old 772, where UNITED could be charging much higher fares for Polaris/PE in cases where she is NOT providing a seamless experience premium experience to EWR and beyond?
(Perhaps they cannot fill her with paying Polaris/PE to GRU? I’m surprised that an old 3 class is “still” on that route!)


Because most TATL routes only require 1 aircraft and there's extra bandwidth in the schedule to rotate the 781 on a transcon route. And replacing 764/772 with 781 will just add capacity and dilute yields. The only other EWR TATL routes on 772 are MAD and FCO, and neither of them are exactly high-yielding.

GRU is also likely not worth it because the plane will just sit on the ground for 12h.
 
avi8
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:30 pm

The question is, where are these 777’s going?
avi8

Medschool student
 
notconcerned
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:22 pm

avi8 wrote:
The question is, where are these 777’s going?


Probably to SFO and replace the 789 flying out there.
 
UAinAUS
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 pm

UAX Update:

CR5:
N164GJ entered AMA for new livery paint, then going for CR5 mod
N600QX (2001 build) has received CR5 interior and has been transferred to GoJet, expect new registration N number soon - not yet in UA livery
N504GJ now doing test flights for CR5 program
Total 9 CR5 now in progress towards service entry
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 13885
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 pm

FSDan wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
I expect the 19 options from that same order to be firmed up and go to SkyWest. That order is likely going to replace the remainder of CRJ7 flying in the UA network (minus the ones in the CRJ5 config of course).


I think UA will need to keep at least a token amount of CR7 flying going at SkyWest in order to support all their ASE service. They're the dominant player in that lucrative market, so unless the E75 gets certified for flying into ASE I think the CR7 will stick around at UA for the foreseeable future.


I’m thinking they’re going to go with the CR5, unless they can get an ERJ-170/175 in there. The premium heavy CR5 will probably be fine, maybe add frequencies to make up for capacity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:10 am

notconcerned wrote:
avi8 wrote:
The question is, where are these 777’s going?


Probably to SFO and replace the 789 flying out there.


Doubt it we have 18 or so 789s and10s coming in 2020-2021. By next spring we will have enough new planes to fly the announced routes.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 am

STT757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
I expect the 19 options from that same order to be firmed up and go to SkyWest. That order is likely going to replace the remainder of CRJ7 flying in the UA network (minus the ones in the CRJ5 config of course).


I think UA will need to keep at least a token amount of CR7 flying going at SkyWest in order to support all their ASE service. They're the dominant player in that lucrative market, so unless the E75 gets certified for flying into ASE I think the CR7 will stick around at UA for the foreseeable future.


I’m thinking they’re going to go with the CR5, unless they can get an ERJ-170/175 in there. The premium heavy CR5 will probably be fine, maybe add frequencies to make up for capacity.


Someone on here was mentioning that part of the CR7->CR5 conversion process involves de-rating the MTOW, which will have an impact on the range of the CR5. I'm not sure if UA would be able to fly the CR5 on ASE-IAH, ASE-ORD, etc.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
codc10
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:33 am

FSDan wrote:
STT757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

I think UA will need to keep at least a token amount of CR7 flying going at SkyWest in order to support all their ASE service. They're the dominant player in that lucrative market, so unless the E75 gets certified for flying into ASE I think the CR7 will stick around at UA for the foreseeable future.


I’m thinking they’re going to go with the CR5, unless they can get an ERJ-170/175 in there. The premium heavy CR5 will probably be fine, maybe add frequencies to make up for capacity.


Someone on here was mentioning that part of the CR7->CR5 conversion process involves de-rating the MTOW, which will have an impact on the range of the CR5. I'm not sure if UA would be able to fly the CR5 on ASE-IAH, ASE-ORD, etc.


No CR5s to ASE. Aspen is substantially the only reason there will be any CR7 under the UAX banner, until E75s can operate in there.
 
User avatar
Amwest2United
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:36 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:42 am

codc10 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I’m thinking they’re going to go with the CR5, unless they can get an ERJ-170/175 in there. The premium heavy CR5 will probably be fine, maybe add frequencies to make up for capacity.


Someone on here was mentioning that part of the CR7->CR5 conversion process involves de-rating the MTOW, which will have an impact on the range of the CR5. I'm not sure if UA would be able to fly the CR5 on ASE-IAH, ASE-ORD, etc.


No CR5s to ASE. Aspen is substantially the only reason there will be any CR7 under the UAX banner, until E75s can operate in there.



Where did you get that information?
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:55 am

764's are moving to IAH - so you could see some 777 replace them at EWR/IAD.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:40 am

notconcerned wrote:
VC10er wrote:
So, I am left wondering why UA has a couple/few
“Jewel in the Crown” type of aircraft like the 787-10 doing transcon when it could be flying to a European destination, that’s currently being flown with a 764 or old 772, where UNITED could be charging much higher fares for Polaris/PE in cases where she is NOT providing a seamless experience premium experience to EWR and beyond?
(Perhaps they cannot fill her with paying Polaris/PE to GRU? I’m surprised that an old 3 class is “still” on that route!)


Because most TATL routes only require 1 aircraft and there's extra bandwidth in the schedule to rotate the 781 on a transcon route. And replacing 764/772 with 781 will just add capacity and dilute yields. The only other EWR TATL routes on 772 are MAD and FCO, and neither of them are exactly high-yielding.

GRU is also likely not worth it because the plane will just sit on the ground for 12h.


Good point on GRU. I forgot they sit there from early morning to evening.

So, a 781 is that much larger than a 772 (old or new configuration?) I go to Madrid a few times a year and it’s often the HD 772. I get the fact that many 772’s are in for refurbishment, and many refurbished 763’s are dedicated to LHR.
What do you think the HD 772 to EWR/MAD will be replaced with when there are more aircraft (either new or refurbished?) The economy in Spain is really bad. Scary bad! I have many Spanish friends in Madrid. Seems like filling the front with paying pax would mostly be Americans. But my friends simply detest Iberia. Air Europa is their preferred airline, or connecting to TAP or a US airline, just not Iberia “over priced, bad service, etc” is what they say. I’ve never flown Iberia. Although I’ve used a UA connection to Madrid to avoid the HD 772. (Although Madrid fares can often be a lot less!)
I just don’t know what the right sized aircraft would be? Would a refurbished “regular” configuration 763 be big enough? Would a 789 be a waste of range? Or a refurbished 772? Or keep a 764 at EWR?

Last thought: with UA now flying nonstop to Naples, Sicily, Milan (and Venice too, right?) will those new southern Italy flights drain pax from the FCO flight?
Thanks.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 pm

notconcerned wrote:
GRU is also likely not worth it because the plane will just sit on the ground for 12h.


Actually GRU is worth it and UA does cycle aircraft through GRU for scheduled maintenance which includes but isn't limited to engine washing. Also UA has their own maintenance team at GRU the aircraft don't just sit they are being worked on.

CriticalPoint wrote:
notconcerned wrote:
avi8 wrote:
The question is, where are these 777’s going?


Probably to SFO and replace the 789 flying out there.


Doubt it we have 18 or so 789s and10s coming in 2020-2021. By next spring we will have enough new planes to fly the announced routes.


Right now UA already has 24 789s in the fleet and 9 78Js and of course the 12 788s. By March/April 2020 there for sure will be an additional 3 77Ws, 3 78Js and 2 789s in the fleet ready for the Spring travel season.
By Summer 2020 (if not before) the last 77W will be in the fleet. Also and according to the last update at least 2 additional 78Js are expected. After February I'm not sure when the next 789 is expected to be delivered but I'm assuming by summer (early June) 2020 UA should have at least another 1 or 2 789s in the fleet and ready for revenue service.

SFO will loose a small number of 789s, routes like SFO-PVG are going 1x daily 78J and 1x daily 77E.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 pm

B39M's are on the move from HOU/LAX to GYR.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3495250-u ... email_link
 
jayunited
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
B39M's are on the move from HOU/LAX to GYR.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3495250-u ... email_link


Yes just updated today UA has received FAA approval to ferry all 14 MAX aircraft from there current locations at IAH, HOU, and LAX to GYR. UA wants to get the aircraft at IAH and HOU into more favorable climate conditions and out of harms ways just in case a hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico and impacts Houston. At LAX they need to move the 2 aircraft stored there do to construction on an all new maintenance hangar.
UA made sure to highlight the fact that these aircraft will be ferried by United Airlines test pilots who are all type rated on the MAX but in addition have all graduated from either the Military or Boeing's test pilot school.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 pm

With all the reconfigs going on and fleet movements, I was having trouble wrapping my head around "what does it all mean?"

Image

With the 787-10s coming to ORD next summer, the routes that get those will see a 15% seat bump. If 787-9s backfill the other 777-200ERs, that'd be a wash in seats.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90
 
rjmf22
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:48 pm

jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
B39M's are on the move from HOU/LAX to GYR.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3495250-u ... email_link


Yes just updated today UA has received FAA approval to ferry all 14 MAX aircraft from there current locations at IAH, HOU, and LAX to GYR. UA wants to get the aircraft at IAH and HOU into more favorable climate conditions and out of harms ways just in case a hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico and impacts Houston. At LAX they need to move the 2 aircraft stored there do to construction on an all new maintenance hangar.
UA made sure to highlight the fact that these aircraft will be ferried by United Airlines test pilots who are all type rated on the MAX but in addition have all graduated from either the Military or Boeing's test pilot school.


Is this a sign that they expect the grounding to be lifted soon? The article states that Goodyear is "short term storage."
United Airlines
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
B39M's are on the move from HOU/LAX to GYR.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3495250-u ... email_link


Yes just updated today UA has received FAA approval to ferry all 14 MAX aircraft from there current locations at IAH, HOU, and LAX to GYR. UA wants to get the aircraft at IAH and HOU into more favorable climate conditions and out of harms ways just in case a hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico and impacts Houston. At LAX they need to move the 2 aircraft stored there do to construction on an all new maintenance hangar.
UA made sure to highlight the fact that these aircraft will be ferried by United Airlines test pilots who are all type rated on the MAX but in addition have all graduated from either the Military or Boeing's test pilot school.


Is this a sign that they expect the grounding to be lifted soon? The article states that Goodyear is "short term storage."

It’s two-fold. It’s to get them out of Houston for Hurricane season and to open space up at LAX. But yes, it’s easier for return to service when they are all at the same place.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3964
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:54 pm

FSDan wrote:
STT757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

I think UA will need to keep at least a token amount of CR7 flying going at SkyWest in order to support all their ASE service. They're the dominant player in that lucrative market, so unless the E75 gets certified for flying into ASE I think the CR7 will stick around at UA for the foreseeable future.


I’m thinking they’re going to go with the CR5, unless they can get an ERJ-170/175 in there. The premium heavy CR5 will probably be fine, maybe add frequencies to make up for capacity.


Someone on here was mentioning that part of the CR7->CR5 conversion process involves de-rating the MTOW, which will have an impact on the range of the CR5. I'm not sure if UA would be able to fly the CR5 on ASE-IAH, ASE-ORD, etc.


I believe the Cr5 is exclusively a GoJet operation. I think only SkyWest has approval to fly into Aspen.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
B39M's are on the move from HOU/LAX to GYR.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3495250-u ... email_link


Yes just updated today UA has received FAA approval to ferry all 14 MAX aircraft from there current locations at IAH, HOU, and LAX to GYR. UA wants to get the aircraft at IAH and HOU into more favorable climate conditions and out of harms ways just in case a hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico and impacts Houston. At LAX they need to move the 2 aircraft stored there do to construction on an all new maintenance hangar.
UA made sure to highlight the fact that these aircraft will be ferried by United Airlines test pilots who are all type rated on the MAX but in addition have all graduated from either the Military or Boeing's test pilot school.


Is this a sign that they expect the grounding to be lifted soon? The article states that Goodyear is "short term storage."

If anything, it is an indication that the grounding is going to be longer. But, as Scarebus34 said, there are other reasons, Space and Hurricanes, to get them out of their current locations, so it might not be an indication of anything other than UA already hoped they would have been back in service by now.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5900
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
764's are moving to IAH - so you could see some 777 replace them at EWR/IAD.


Will they be updated with Polaris seats soon?
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
scandinavian590
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:50 pm

Rumour has it UA would start SFO-BRU next summer. Anyone who knows more about this?
 
rjmf22
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Seeing some 763's on the IAD-SFO route for this week. UA1763 today and on friday operated by a 763, last minute equipment swaps or are they flying them over to HKG for Polaris? Can't remember the last time we saw UA 767 passenger service to SFO.

Todays flight is operated by ship #6674.
United Airlines
 
VC10er
Posts: 4132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:21 pm

I get seriously get goosebumps when I read about all the WB deliveries! What a great, flexible and huge fleet of WB’s and yet all from 1 manufacturer!

And, mostly: when the day comes that the “73MAX” series gets the green light to fly again, (I’m not sure how many of the 150 MAX’s UA were due to take delivery of over time had the grounding NOT have happened, BUT let’s pretend that they are cleared for service in service Q1 2020), HOW MANY MAX’s will be inducted virtually at once? Given the MAX frames that would have been delivered bit by bit (incrementally) Are the interiors are already done parked at Boeing?- won’t it be like drinking from a fire hose for route planners when they all come on line?

I read the first UNITED 737MAX-10 was scheduled for November. Which begs the question “will those 73M-10’s have the new (rumored to be true) bespoke lie flats in First Class or not?
(Me thinks; newly designed lie flats in First Class then perhaps 2/3 rows of PE that are either the purple international style or domestic First ala: Airbuses & 73G) then E+, then small economy: for transon, Eg: MIA, FLL, DC, PHL, Boston to SFO/LAX & maybe SAN, Palm Springs and Seattle. “COMPETE!”) maybe HNL?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:22 pm

scandinavian590 wrote:
Rumour has it UA would start SFO-BRU next summer. Anyone who knows more about this?


Where are you hearing that? UA just had a big announcement for international adds for next summer, and that wasn’t in there. With that said, it wouldn’t surprise me if maybe they announce a few more before then.

I would love to see SFO-BRU, even if it’s admittedly a bit of a fringe route.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
xxcr
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 am

rjmf22 wrote:
Seeing some 763's on the IAD-SFO route for this week. UA1763 today and on friday operated by a 763, last minute equipment swaps or are they flying them over to HKG for Polaris? Can't remember the last time we saw UA 767 passenger service to SFO.

Todays flight is operated by ship #6674.



damn!!!!! its been a long time since UA operated any 767 flights into SFO. I flew on a 763 from ORD-SFO back in 2003......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos