jayunited

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:07 pm

VC10er wrote:

It’s not “that much” - it is not like you turn left and exclaim “WOW!!!” - but first the shabby and worn looking seats and tv screens are not scuffed. The horizontal black panel where the TV screens are located have been replaced. They may have replaced the original Diamond seats that were scratched and touched up with grey nail polish are gone. But the #1 clue is the new grey bulkheads, with a United Polaris plaque on the right side bulkhead. The seat upholstery has been changed from the original CO pattern to the Polaris seat upholstery and blue grey leather headrest. The lav has new wall paper, new finishes for the sink splash boards in a Polaris blue, under the sink is a new modern wood-like finish: new faucet.

The only thing that stands out as “old” are overhead bins and ugly old 1983 ceilings, and old fashioned lighting.

But the Diamond seat is very comfortable- just no aisle access. Last: perhaps it was just my crew, but they ROCKED!

Nothing can be done about the overhead bins because its a 757 and I don’t think there are any companies making all new overhead bins for 757s. A few years after the merger UA did install new sculpted doors on the overhead bins which allowed roller bags to fit wheels first, thus creating more room in the bins for additional luggage.

CALTECH wrote:
The MAX is out the schedule till 05 March

This decision doesn’t surprise me because I’ve always thought in the back of my mind there is no way the MAX grounding can be lifted until we have the final reports from both tragic accidents. Personally I don’t see any aviation safety governing bodying lifting the grounding until those final reports are in and made public.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 pm

jayunited wrote:
Nothing can be done about the overhead bins because its a 757 and I don’t think there are any companies making all new overhead bins for 757s. A few years after the merger UA did install new sculpted doors on the overhead bins which allowed roller bags to fit wheels first, thus creating more room in the bins for additional luggage.

I thought Delta was installing new bins and PSUs on their 75s?

codc10

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:28 pm

jayunited wrote:
[

Nothing can be done ***within United's budget*** about the 757 bins. There are at least two aftermarket interior kits, including a pivot bin mod. United's rationale seemingly is that the 757 fleet is slated for retirement in the intermediate-term, so a full-gut new interior wouldn't be worth the capital expense.

Delta did the pivot bin mod, and their cabins look great, but they also generally have more seats than UA 752s, so there's a requirement for more carry-on stowage. Delta also spends more on interiors than United.

Runway28L

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:05 pm

B789 N27959 en route VCV-IAD right now. Was this for a minor touch-up or the new livery? Been at VCV since 11/4.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N27959

x1234

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:10 pm

HKG is the traditional gateway to Southern China for UA. With the protesters trashing the city has UA thought about starting CAN or SZX for Southern China or BKK in Thailand!?

77H

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:27 pm

codc10 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
[

Nothing can be done ***within United's budget*** about the 757 bins. There are at least two aftermarket interior kits, including a pivot bin mod. United's rationale seemingly is that the 757 fleet is slated for retirement in the intermediate-term, so a full-gut new interior wouldn't be worth the capital expense.

Delta did the pivot bin mod, and their cabins look great, but they also generally have more seats than UA 752s, so there's a requirement for more carry-on stowage. Delta also spends more on interiors than United.

Which is exactly what UA should be doing. UA is clearly trying to position itself as the go-to premium airline as evidenced by the Polaris product, from on-board hard product to lounge. So it doesn’t make sense to me why UA neglects the interiors of their NB aircraft the way they do. The 319/20 interiors aren’t that bad but with the exception of the sky interior 738s and 739s, there is nothing premium about being onboard a UA 73G/8/9 or 752/3. Whether it is the grey sidewalls with those white squiggles that look like hair trimmings, the yellowed bins, or the dingy, often mismatched cabin lighting. Most of the UA NB fleet looks more akin to what I’d expect on a city bus than an airline trying to position itself as a leader in the premium market. Hell, even the new CRJ550s interiors I’ve on YouTube have a dingy yellow hue to them from the cabin lighting.

I get where VC10 is coming from wholeheartedly. I think the overall message he’s trying to convey is that UA’s continued neglect of the sidewalls, bins and cabin lighting make the mods look half-assed. Which in turn gives UA a disjointed brand image. Arriving off a Polaris equipped WB only to find yourself connecting to non-Sky 737 or 757 is the definition of brand inconsistency UA SHOULD BE trying to eliminate.

If DL could invest in new interiors for their 319/20s (some of the oldest in operation), their 73s and 75s, there is no reason UA can’t. So far as I know UA doesn’t have a drastically different retirement timeline planned for these fleets than DL does.

77H

CriticalPoint

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:46 pm

77H wrote:
codc10 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
[

Which is exactly what UA should be doing. UA is clearly trying to position itself as the go-to premium airline as evidenced by the Polaris product, from on-board hard product to lounge. So it doesn’t make sense to me why UA neglects the interiors of their NB aircraft the way they do. The 319/20 interiors aren’t that bad but with the exception of the sky interior 738s and 739s, there is nothing premium about being onboard a UA 73G/8/9 or 752/3. Whether it is the grey sidewalls with those white squiggles that look like hair trimmings, the yellowed bins, or the dingy, often mismatched cabin lighting. Most of the UA NB fleet looks more akin to what I’d expect on a city bus than an airline trying to position itself as a leader in the premium market. Hell, even the new CRJ550s interiors I’ve on YouTube have a dingy yellow hue to them from the cabin lighting.

I get where VC10 is coming from wholeheartedly. I think the overall message he’s trying to convey is that UA’s continued neglect of the sidewalls, bins and cabin lighting make the mods look half-assed. Which in turn gives UA a disjointed brand image. Arriving off a Polaris equipped WB only to find yourself connecting to non-Sky 737 or 757 is the definition of brand inconsistency UA SHOULD BE trying to eliminate.

If DL could invest in new interiors for their 319/20s (some of the oldest in operation), their 73s and 75s, there is no reason UA can’t. So far as I know UA doesn’t have a drastically different retirement timeline planned for these fleets than DL does.

77H

I always seem to get on a 737-800 to and from work, and they do look pretty bad. Is there a 737 top to bottom refresh waiting on the wings? I would imagine there is since I think only the MAX has the new domestic First class, and only the MAX has the United plaque at the entrance.

adamblang

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:30 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Is there a 737 top to bottom refresh waiting on the wings? I would imagine there is since I think only the MAX has the new domestic First class, and only the MAX has the United plaque at the entrance.

During media day a few weeks back, I took "enough bin space for everybody" to mean Boeing Sky Interior or a lookalike product will be refit on that fleet.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

ocaviation

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:01 am

Runway28L wrote:
B789 N27959 en route VCV-IAD right now. Was this for a minor touch-up or the new livery? Been at VCV since 11/4.

I've been told both things. Not sure. Anyone in here know for sure?

intotheair

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 am

ocaviation wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

I've been told both things. Not sure. Anyone in here know for sure?

This photo on Instagram from IAD tonight shows it in old colors.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B49BOmwBAHM/
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

CALTECH

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Runway28L wrote:

The wings needed re-painting......
You are here.

AMollenhauer9

Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:27 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

What is the point in just re-painting the wings?

I know it is certainly cheaper than a total re-paint, but these aircraft are going to get a complete re-paint within a few years anyways. Aircraft was out of service for 10+ days anyways.

CriticalPoint

Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

I know it is certainly cheaper than a total re-paint, but these aircraft are going to get a complete re-paint within a few years anyways. Aircraft was out of service for 10+ days anyways.

It’s under warranty so why not?

AMollenhauer9

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:11 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
AMollenhauer9 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

My point is if the aircraft is going to be out of service for 10-11 days anyways, why not just do a full paint job?

Runway28L

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
AMollenhauer9 wrote:

My point is if the aircraft is going to be out of service for 10-11 days anyways, why not just do a full paint job?

My guess would be if the wing paint was under warranty as CriticalPoint states, then perhaps repainting the entire aircraft instead would void the warranty and negate any cost-savings for United.

CriticalPoint

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
AMollenhauer9 wrote:

The 787-9s are so new they will probably be the last painted. So you fly around with peeling paint on the wings reducing fuel efficiency and raising concerns of corrosion........or you make Boeing fix it for free.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:23 am

This 789 was delivered in 2015, so its about halfway through its paint cycle. You'd think UA would get a discount for the cost of the touchup to apply towards a full repaint, which could have made it worthwhile.

However, maybe VCV doesn't have what it needs to do a 789 in the new livery. Also VCV has done a couple touch-up that I don't recall being needed on aircraft painted elsewhere.

Who knows where they will take place - VCV, FTW, LCQ, CWF? Seems like AMA does narrowbodies.

LGeneReese

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:37 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
This 789 was delivered in 2015, so its about halfway through its paint cycle. You'd think UA would get a discount for the cost of the touchup to apply towards a full repaint, which could have made it worthwhile.

However, maybe VCV doesn't have what it needs to do a 789 in the new livery. Also VCV has done a couple touch-up that I don't recall being needed on aircraft painted elsewhere.

Who knows where they will take place - VCV, FTW, LCQ, CWF? Seems like AMA does narrowbodies.

IAC at AMA has one WB hanger... which KL has likely occupied by now.
It seems clear UA is choosing not to paint EvoBlu on any aircraft that is not yet in need. Does anyone here have any idea just how much a new paint job actually costs? I sure don’t. BTW, would love to know how much Disney paid for Star Wars: The Airplane....

AMollenhauer9

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:

LCQ can only handle up to a 763, and FTW only has one hangar. FTW is also almost always being used by Boeing to paint the new 787s. I would guess VCV, as they have 2 paint hangars capable of handling wide-bodies.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:22 am

738:
N37298 exited AMA paint 2750/17Nov in EvoBlue livery

772:
N783UA sked to enter XMN 2757/18Nov for Polaris/PP
N794UA sked to exit XMN 2755/19Nov with Polaris/PP

77W:
N2331U sked to enter XMN maint 2754/20Nov
N2332U sked to exit XMN maint 2733/19Nov

VC10er

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

IAC at AMA has one WB hanger... which KL has likely occupied by now.
It seems clear UA is choosing not to paint EvoBlu on any aircraft that is not yet in need. Does anyone here have any idea just how much a new paint job actually costs? I sure don’t. BTW, would love to know how much Disney paid for Star Wars: The Airplane....

The only bit of pricing information regarding a full repaint of a large wide body was “ROUGHLY” $100,000 about 20 years ago. I had asked when people from Landor were going to help supervise the painting of a new livery (if memory serves it was either Cathay or JAL, and a 744) I was told that costs really vary based on factors such as complexity and things such as “decals”.
When Landor created the original VARIG livery change, there was a borderline line or stripe between the white top and blue belly that consisted of the map detailing that is often found as a border around a map delineating “miles or nautical miles” (they are long alternating rectangular thin checkerboards) - anyway it was a lovely touch as the entire concept behind that livery was paying homage to the OLD Portuguese seafarers such as Pedro Cabral who discover Brazil and the bright sun and flair of Brazil (the Compass/Sun). That border was made of decals that VARIG later removed in lieu of a plain lighter blue painted border which was much less expensive.
(If that helps! I would think that an airline with the clout of UA can obtain pricing deals vs an airline of 85 aircraft)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

CALTECH

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:57 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

Actually the wings were under warranty work. As for the rest, cost, fuselage doesn't really need it yet....

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-xpm ... story.html
"Painting a Boeing 777 takes up to 11 days and costs between $100,000 and $200,000, depending on the number of colors, Manclark said. A smaller commuter jet, such as an Airbus A320, can be finished in seven days at a cost of about $50,000."

You are here.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm

The fleet updates, fleet status, and repaint status posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

✈️ atcsundevil

calpsafltskeds

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:48 pm

319:
N849UA sked to exit LCQ 2734/19Nov with 12F config.
N851UA entered LCQ 2764/18Nov for 12F config.
19 of 66 complete plus the 3 CZ units complete (2 in service, 1 in AMA paint)

763:
N646UA sked to exit PVG maint 2700/20Nov

LGeneReese

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pm

77W
N2749U is out of paint at PAE.... pictures please...

KLMatSJC

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:14 pm

CALTECH wrote:
"Painting a Boeing 777 takes up to 11 days and costs between $100,000 and $200,000, depending on the number of colors, Manclark said. A smaller commuter jet, such as an Airbus A320, can be finished in seven days at a cost of about $50,000."

I don't think much of that is correct. It seems to be taking a lot more than 7 days to paint an A320. Oh and when did an A320 become a "small commuter jet"?
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

LHUSA

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Wow, the 777-300ER looks so much better than I anticipated. After seeing the 767-300 and loving it, I thought the 777 might not have the right proportions. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

TrafficCop

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 pm

May just be the angle or quality but lettering looks like a lighter shade of blue than the 737 above in post 2922.

airboss787

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Runway28L wrote:

I wasnt sure about what I felt of the livery on the 737 but after looking at the 767, the Express aircraft and now the 777, I think I am starting to really like the update and refresh.
Star Alliance Gold

cosyr

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 pm

TrafficCop wrote:
May just be the angle or quality but lettering looks like a lighter shade of blue than the 737 above in post 2922.

I think another interesting difference is the height of the titles. Probably due to the length of the fuselage and how much white space there would be above the windows on such a widebody, but the letters nearly start on top of the windows, rather than being centered on smaller planes.

777222LR

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:07 am

Runway28L wrote:

OMG, so amazing. Love.

drerx7

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:09 am

I like the livery. Its not the best, but its vibrant and fresh.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

xxcr

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:29 am

Runway28L wrote:

Very fresh compared the current livery!!!!!

dmstorm22

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:15 am

Runway28L wrote:

Man, it's really coming together on the widebodies.

It'll be a while, but I really think the livery is going to get stronger as a larger and larger share of the fleet gets painted.

Can't wait to see it on a 787 and **whispers** A350(?)

MSPNWA

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 am

Runway28L wrote:

Yuck. Looks the worst yet on the 77W. Just looks so hodgepodge, and there's too much white with the proportions of the 77W.

bgm

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

Yuck. Looks the worst yet on the 77W. Just looks so hodgepodge, and there's too much white with the proportions of the 77W.

Gramps never seems to be happy these days.

I really like it. Definitely a big improvement over the old livery, which was awful. Nice to see United heading in the right direction (finally!)
OK boomer.

fun2fly

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:26 pm

N69020 GE 77E Polaris Conversion Complete Looks to leave HKG>IAH 11/22

calpsafltskeds

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm

738:
N73283 sked to enter AMA 2743/20Nov for new livery

772:
Thanks fun2fly
N69020 exit flight from HKG 2774/22Nov with Polaris/PP

adamblang

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:16 pm

The ship has sailed but this livery would've looked fantastic on a 747.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

CALTECH

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

I don't think much of that is correct. It seems to be taking a lot more than 7 days to paint an A320. Oh and when did an A320 become a "small commuter jet"?

So you think the CEO of the paint company is wrong and you are more correct ? Okay.

Compared to a widebody, along with the 737 they are small commuter jets. Business people are on them for work regularly.
You are here.

CALTECH

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:54 pm

cosyr wrote:
TrafficCop wrote:

I think another interesting difference is the height of the titles. Probably due to the length of the fuselage and how much white space there would be above the windows on such a widebody, but the letters nearly start on top of the windows, rather than being centered on smaller planes.

Trying to keep the title on the same area of the fuselage, with the same amount of 'space' above and below.
You are here.

CALTECH

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm

adamblang wrote:

Would've looked pretty good. Sad to see them gone from the fleet.

Still missing that touch of gold, partial to the all gold tails......

Gray started too high up on this one.....

Last edited by CALTECH on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are here.

CALTECH

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:05 pm

In the latest scuttlebutt, to regain the title of the largest airline in the world, United announces the next livery update for 2020.4.1.....

You are here.

cosyr

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 pm

CALTECH wrote:
adamblang wrote:

OMG, that would have looked amazing!

KVH68

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 am

CALTECH wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

So you think the CEO of the paint company is wrong and you are more correct ? Okay.

Compared to a widebody, along with the 737 they are small commuter jets. Business people are on them for work regularly.

Does the 11 days include the days needed to strip the old paint off?

CALTECH

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:55 am

KVH68 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

Does the 11 days include the days needed to strip the old paint off?

Stripping, cleaning, sanding and primer and prep, depending on the complexity, and how much of a paint job is to be accomplished. Wings only, fuselage only, touchup, complete strip and paint..................used to do them in LAX before California went nuts............
You are here.

CALTECH

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:57 am

cosyr wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
adamblang wrote:

OMG, that would have looked amazing!

The old girl would have looked pretty nice.....
You are here.

calpsafltskeds

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:07 am

738:
N73283 entered AMA paint 2743/20Nov for new livery

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos