Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:56 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
The next A321neo (N403AN) is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow XFW-PIT.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/N403AN


Sorry if this has been answered before, but why PIT? Going into service from there, or some more ancilliaries being fitted?


AA has their main Airbus maintenance facility at PIT, a holdover from US days.

Not anymore. CLT overhauls airbus also.
 
deltaffindfw
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm

From what I've heard, TUL is also doing A319 mx
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Here's a little more detail on PIT being the acceptance base for the A21Ns:

https://blueskypit.com/2019/02/02/ameri ... s-a321neo/
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:58 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Here's a little more detail on PIT being the acceptance base for the A21Ns:

https://blueskypit.com/2019/02/02/ameri ... s-a321neo/


To quote Karnac the Magnificent, "I did not know that!" Thanks, y'all!
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Five 321neos are going to be delayed, I believe it’s an airbus issue, that only 17 will be taken this year and 20 next year.
 
mikeyp224
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but why PIT? Going into service from there, or some more ancilliaries being fitted?


AA has their main Airbus maintenance facility at PIT, a holdover from US days.

Not anymore. CLT overhauls airbus also.


The A321neos are being brought into the fleet with LUS (IAM) as the maintenance provider, hence the PIT inductions. Just because CLT does Airbus maintenance too doesn't mean that PIT isn't the main station for LUS Airbus maintenance.
 
BigPlaneGuy13
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I know we've discussed that there is not enough value for AA to add scimitars to their 738s. However, is there a reason AA doesn't retrofit its A320 family aircraft with sharklets? Given the relatively young age of (most) of the 320ceo family, is the cost/benefit not there?

I understand that the 320s are all pretty old, but there are scores of 321s that have at least 15 years of life to pay off the cost of installation, no?

Thanks guys!
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:42 pm

mikeyp224 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

AA has their main Airbus maintenance facility at PIT, a holdover from US days.

Not anymore. CLT overhauls airbus also.


The A321neos are being brought into the fleet with LUS (IAM) as the maintenance provider, hence the PIT inductions. Just because CLT does Airbus maintenance too doesn't mean that PIT isn't the main station for LUS Airbus maintenance.

CLT does all airbus also, there isn’t a main maintenance base. It’s chosen by track availability.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:42 pm

So, 4 neos so far have been delivered.
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes, 3 NEOs are flying.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 am

737 MAXs will still be delivered even though they can't fly? I heard two are being delivered in July.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
737 MAXs will still be delivered even though they can't fly? I heard two are being delivered in July.


Where did you hear that? Would they just be delivered and then be parked to collect dust for some months?
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
737 MAXs will still be delivered even though they can't fly? I heard two are being delivered in July.


Where did you hear that? Would they just be delivered and then be parked to collect dust for some months?


I don’t think it matters where they sit. They’re going to collect dust whether they’re sitting at Boeing or with AA.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 pm

AA won’t take them unless they can fly revenue passengers. Which they can’t yet.

AA won’t shell out the money nor pay for storage fees.

They can’t be signed off as airworthy.
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 1661
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:40 pm

A321neo N404AN ferried XFW-PIT today for delivery.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/AA9707
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
OB1504
Posts: 3603
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
I know we've discussed that there is not enough value for AA to add scimitars to their 738s. However, is there a reason AA doesn't retrofit its A320 family aircraft with sharklets? Given the relatively young age of (most) of the 320ceo family, is the cost/benefit not there?

I understand that the 320s are all pretty old, but there are scores of 321s that have at least 15 years of life to pay off the cost of installation, no?

Thanks guys!


IIRC, older A320 series airplanes can’t be retrofitted with sharklets because they lack the necessary reinforcements in the wings that the newer airplanes have.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Not true, the wingtips can be reinforced.
 
silentbob
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:37 pm

I remember hearing that the sharklets didn't provide enough benefit on the shorter stage lengths often flown to justify the additional weight. I may be thinking of something else, but I believe that was said before the merger.
 
LHA320
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 pm

OB1504 wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
I know we've discussed that there is not enough value for AA to add scimitars to their 738s. However, is there a reason AA doesn't retrofit its A320 family aircraft with sharklets? Given the relatively young age of (most) of the 320ceo family, is the cost/benefit not there?

I understand that the 320s are all pretty old, but there are scores of 321s that have at least 15 years of life to pay off the cost of installation, no?

Thanks guys!


IIRC, older A320 series airplanes can’t be retrofitted with sharklets because they lack the necessary reinforcements in the wings that the newer airplanes have.


A320 family aircraft starting with ln 1500 upwards can be retrofitted with sharklets. The oldest A320 that was retrofitted ist TAPs CS-TMW (ln 1667) as far as I know. The modification requires major structural work on the wings up to ln 4000, all aircraft newer than ln 4000 have these improvements already.

So in AAs case, maybe some pm US A321s would be reasonable to be retrofitted, but the biggest part of the 319 and 320 wouldn't be.
AB6 - A319 - A320 - A321 - A333 - A388 - AT42 - 733 - 734 - 735 - 73H - 738 - 752 - 753 - 763 - 772 - DC10 - MD83
 
alasizon
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 am

Apparently an announcement went out today that all of the Mainline fleet (sans S80s) now has satellite Wi-Fi.

AA joins WN (sans some used 73Gs) and B6 as having full fleet satellite Wi-Fi.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/16/ameri ... line-fleet
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Saw on the DFW Spotters FB page that repeats what we all knew, last MadDog out of Diff-Dubya will be on 4 September. What I didn't know is that it'll be going to ORD, and according to the post it's already sold out--AA80 is the flight number, arriving from CLE as AA250.
 
sketch
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
Saw on the DFW Spotters FB page that repeats what we all knew, last MadDog out of Diff-Dubya will be on 4 September. What I didn't know is that it'll be going to ORD, and according to the post it's already sold out--AA80 is the flight number, arriving from CLE as AA250.

Last I'd heard before yesterday, as of a few weeks ago, the last scheduled flight for an MD80 was rather unceremoniously something like DFW-TUL on the night of 3 September, and there were several other MD80 flights from DFW to various outstations scheduled right up to it (including DFW-MSY a few minutes before).

Apparently, between then and now, they added this as a special flight (of course, AA80). I searched yesterday and found only a Main Cabin flexible fare for $919. Oh well. I had the fortune of flying N984TW (the last MD80 series ever built) last month, so that can be my farewell flight.
 
DFWandOMA
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:41 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Rumor of AA ordering 50 A321XLR. I wonder how many will be converted from existing orders vs. new orders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/17/america ... uters.html
 
Ishrion
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:20 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
Rumor of AA ordering 50 A321XLR. I wonder how many will be converted from existing orders vs. new orders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/17/america ... uters.html


Weren’t some neo orders originally deferred? Or were those some original MAX deliveries?
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 1661
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 pm

alasizon wrote:
Apparently an announcement went out today that all of the Mainline fleet (sans S80s) now has satellite Wi-Fi.

AA joins WN (sans some used 73Gs) and B6 as having full fleet satellite Wi-Fi.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/16/ameri ... line-fleet

The E190s also do not have satellite WiFi.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Ishrion wrote:
DFWandOMA wrote:
Rumor of AA ordering 50 A321XLR. I wonder how many will be converted from existing orders vs. new orders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/17/america ... uters.html


Weren’t some neo orders originally deferred? Or were those some original MAX deliveries?

Yes they deferred deliveries of the A321neos and 737maxs. And airbus can’t deliver the 22 Neos this year due to manufacturing issues, they will only deliver 17 this year.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... uary-2019/
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Anybody have any info on the repair progress on A321 aircraft N114NN, the wing dragger at JFK over two months ago?
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 pm

TULE sent mechanics to JFK and they did some work. It’s stored at JFK and a new update will be issued tomorrow
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:22 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
TULE sent mechanics to JFK and they did some work. It’s stored at JFK and a new update will be issued tomorrow


Thanks!
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/06/25 ... e-flights/

AA’s schedule of final MD80 flights.
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:17 pm

An AA.com has a video salute to the MadDog.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6237
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
An AA.com has a video salute to the MadDog.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx


Cool video.

IMHO, the 2-side of the AA MD-80 was the most comfortable domestic coach seat of any US airline. I’ve heard others express that opinion in the past on A.net also.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 pm

The MD80 is definitely a step back to yesteryear before the days of airlines turning coach into a flying cow pen.
 
musman9853
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 pm

thank god the md80s are going. lets hope boeing gets off their ass and launch the nma so aa can get rid of the 767s
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 pm

alasizon wrote:
Apparently an announcement went out today that all of the Mainline fleet (sans S80s) now has satellite Wi-Fi.

AA joins WN (sans some used 73Gs) and B6 as having full fleet satellite Wi-Fi.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/16/ameri ... line-fleet


Is it just me, but does AA not have the most cumbersome and difficult to use wi-fi onboard of any airlines. SQ isn't much better really. But I find AA's offering to be pathetic.
 
alasizon
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Is it just me, but does AA not have the most cumbersome and difficult to use wi-fi onboard of any airlines. SQ isn't much better really. But I find AA's offering to be pathetic.


Define cumbersome in this case. I don't find the WiFi hard to use (ViaSat or GoGo), but then again other users of ViaSat and GoGo have pretty much the same landing pages and setups.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner
 
Swadian
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:56 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:42 pm

musman9853 wrote:
thank god the md80s are going. lets hope boeing gets off their ass and launch the nma so aa can get rid of the 767s


AA already getting rid of the 767 without NMA. Last 767 flight scheduled for 2021.
John Wang, Founder and President of Inland Streamliner.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:56 pm

musman9853 wrote:
thank god the md80s are going. lets hope boeing gets off their ass and launch the nma so aa can get rid of the 767s

AA is getting rid of the 767s and ordered more 787s to replace them.
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:28 pm

AAs fifth A321Neo, N404AN just flew down to CLT to enter service today.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:02 pm

anymaninfc wrote:
AAs fifth A321Neo, N404AN just flew down to CLT to enter service today.


Huh, first revenue flight, Charlotte to Montego Bay...
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Does AA have any kind of on-going program to keep it's stored B737-MAX8 aircraft functional i.e. engine runs, flight controls moved, tires rotated by moves, etc.?
 
concordeforever
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi from the UK. Does anyone have info on 789 N835AN? Apparently it flew DFW to Tulsa on June 5th, but diverted to San Antonio? and hasn't moved since. Is this correct, and what's the problem?
Thank you.
 
alasizon
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:00 am

concordeforever wrote:
Hi from the UK. Does anyone have info on 789 N835AN? Apparently it flew DFW to Tulsa on June 5th, but diverted to San Antonio? and hasn't moved since. Is this correct, and what's the problem?
Thank you.


There was a lightning strike that caused damage to the aircraft and it is being repaired in SAT.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:12 am

anymaninfc wrote:
Does AA have any kind of on-going program to keep it's stored B737-MAX8 aircraft functional i.e. engine runs, flight controls moved, tires rotated by moves, etc.?



Yes they have a short term (and long term) storage programs with all the required MX activities.
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
anymaninfc wrote:
Does AA have any kind of on-going program to keep it's stored B737-MAX8 aircraft functional i.e. engine runs, flight controls moved, tires rotated by moves, etc.?



Yes they have a short term (and long term) storage programs with all the required MX activities.

Thanks!
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:44 am

alasizon wrote:
concordeforever wrote:
Hi from the UK. Does anyone have info on 789 N835AN? Apparently it flew DFW to Tulsa on June 5th, but diverted to San Antonio? and hasn't moved since. Is this correct, and what's the problem?
Thank you.


There was a lightning strike that caused damage to the aircraft and it is being repaired in SAT.


Isn't this the second AA aircraft that has had significant lightning strike damage and been out of service for quite a long time?
 
Detroit313
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Any updates on the 319s from Frontier? How many have they gotten so far? Are they all flying?
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:43 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Any updates on the 319s from Frontier? How many have they gotten so far? Are they all flying?


Four are in service, fifth acft is at CLT getting prepped for service. I don't know the status of the remaining three.
 
miaami
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:26 am

Detroit313 wrote:
Any updates on the 319s from Frontier? How many have they gotten so far? Are they all flying?


Another former Frontier 319 was ferried SAL-TUS-GYR for new paint this week

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NN1 ... /MSLP/KTUS

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NN1 ... /KTUS/KGYR
 
anymaninfc
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:26 am

miaami wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Any updates on the 319s from Frontier? How many have they gotten so far? Are they all flying?


Another former Frontier 319 was ferried SAL-TUS-GYR for new paint this week

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NN1 ... /MSLP/KTUS

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NN1 ... /KTUS/KGYR


That tail number appears incorrect. Perhaps it should be N777XF? I know, I know, it's no concern of mine.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos