jworks158

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:37 pm

33lspotter wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Right but re-clearing security is hardly a BOS thing. If we're to believe all the talk about how great B6 is for it's international partners and viceversa, then the connections at BOS are a mute point. It's just the way international connections are done in this country. You cannot connect from an international flight without having to clear immigration and customs at your first entry point and thus having to re-clear security to get back into the terminal. That's just how connections are done in this country.
E to A is actually one of the easiest transfers at Logan. It's all indoors and served by elevators and moving walkways.
E to C by comparison, requires a lot more walking due to the lack of moving walkways, even tho the terminals are right next to eachother.

Admittedly I didn’t know that — I assumed that USA airports were like what I remember the Schengen airports to be like where IIRC you can make international connections (eg BOS-CDG-MAD) entirely airside. I am spoiled having access to all these nonstops. ;)

Ya the other thing that makes it a pain is you have to pick up your bag and re-check it too.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

jworks158

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 pm

FGITD wrote:
[*]They're Falling fast. both LH flights cancelled, including the MUC which isn't even scheduled to land for a few more hours.

Stand corrected. Apparently the Munich flight is being rescheduled to anticipate handling difficulties

I have so far been able to confirm that so far today 7 flights have diverted from BOS.

According to: av8orwalk
NK432 and NK610 just aborted landing and are diverting to ACY.
LY15 from TLV just aborted landing and are circling.

LH422 a 744 from FRA Diverted to PHL
A UA from ORD, tried to divert to PVD, but then declared emergency 7700 and diverted to LH
DL 986 from RDU diverted to BWI
DL2201 diverted to EWR
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)

33lspotter

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Speedbird 13 Golf just went around once...trying again.

Update: Landed but has sat on the taxiway for a while.

B0pp0

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:08 am

33lspotter wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Right but re-clearing security is hardly a BOS thing. If we're to believe all the talk about how great B6 is for it's international partners and viceversa, then the connections at BOS are a mute point. It's just the way international connections are done in this country. You cannot connect from an international flight without having to clear immigration and customs at your first entry point and thus having to re-clear security to get back into the terminal. That's just how connections are done in this country.
E to A is actually one of the easiest transfers at Logan. It's all indoors and served by elevators and moving walkways.
E to C by comparison, requires a lot more walking due to the lack of moving walkways, even tho the terminals are right next to eachother.

Admittedly I didn’t know that — I assumed that USA airports were like what I remember the Schengen airports to be like where IIRC you can make international connections (eg BOS-CDG-MAD) entirely airside. I am spoiled having access to all these nonstops. ;)

How can we fix it to be like this? It would be a worthy thing to do.

tlecam

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 am

Most airports would need pretty significant structural changes to support that.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

johhn14

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:09 am

Wouldn’t this also require some regulation changes? If the law/regulation allowed it I’m sure it’d happen at least in some places.

FGITD

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 am

The biggest hurdle in the US is that you must clear customs at the first point of entry, with your baggage. Really would be extremely difficult to restructure the facilities to accommodate.

Again, I won't engage in that "other" thread, but I can assure you, despite there being no snow storm, it was raining ice pellets until around 6. That mixed with the heavy rain this morning froze everything solid. Some parts of the ramp had a base layer of ice almost an inch thick. Every single piece of equipment (including the staff) was frozen. Belts, tugs, loaders, etc.

JAL and LH had cancellations, everyone else was lucky to get away with less than a 90 minute delay. There's a few flights still here that should have left hours ago.

Didn't witness, but heard the LH 350 tried turning into the gate and just kept sliding forward.

tlecam

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for the insight FGITD. I saw the other thread when it was first getting going and bailed.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

airbazar

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:56 pm

33lspotter wrote:
airbazar wrote:

It's not and it never has been.
But even in your example you have to clear immigration in CDG and go thru security in order to gain access back into the terminal. Yes it's entirely "airside" but you still wait in the immigration and security lines just like in the U.S. You just don't clear customs. At LHR it's the same thing. On my last flight thru there, after arriving from BOS I had to go thru passport control and security in order to gain access to the main terminal where I was making my connection. In the Schengen zone you clear customs at your final destination.
The main difference in the U.S. is that you must clear customs at your first point of entry so therefore you gain access to your checked bag and need to re-clear security prior to re-entering the terminal.

Yes it's unusual but it really doesn't affect a connection that negatively. The immigration lines in this country are so long that it's very unusual to not have your luggage waiting for you at the carrousell when you finally get there. Then you just pick it up and drop it off at the airline counter, most of the time in the same hall where you pick up the bags, and proceed to the terminal. I've done plenty of intl-domestic conx in the U.S. and the customs process was never the problem.

Why it's done like this is because the U.S. has a very extensive airline industry, more so than any other country. There are about 15,000 commercial airports in the U.S. To use the same system that most of the rest of the world uses, each and everyone of those would have to have their own fully staffed customs facility in order to receive commercial air service.

Dieuwer

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:23 pm

But at least in Europe you don't have a "Bag Circus".

airbazar

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Some times you do but it's a small price to pay in order to be able to fly directly into a small city like for example, MHT :)
In Europe you'd have to leave the airport and catch a train, bus, or rent a car because commercial air service into small cities is limited, or operated only by LCC's which do not typically interline).
Look at Germany, the largest country in the EU. Today it only has 50 airports. Before Schengen and LCCs this number had to be a lot smaller. The entire EU only has 850 airports. Compare that to 15,000 in the U.S. :)
I've had to do the "Bag Circus" in Europe a few times albeit not for lack of customs at the end. Every major European hub has a dedicated transfer desk just for this reason: People who are transferring between airlines that don't interline. It's easy to miss this counter if you're not paying attention but it's usually right after the luggage carousel, just like in the U.S.
By the way the U.S. is hardly alone doing it this way. I believe China, India, Brazil have the same "Bag Circus". So basically large countries where it would be cost prohibitive to fully staff every airport with customs operations. The interesting thing is that neither of those countries have a lot of airports to begin with so there might be a difference reason for doing it this way but I suspect it comes down to cost.

Dieuwer

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:10 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Some times you do but it's a small price to pay in order to be able to fly directly into a small city like for example, MHT :)

And sometimes it will cost the passenger and the airline a lot of money.
Couple of years ago I flew AMS-JFK in business. Lines at border control/customs were not bad so I and many other, fellow pax made it quickly to the baggage claim. Unfortunately, our bags did not arrive after 30 minutes. Did not arrive after one hour. Did not arrive after 1:30 hours. Only after two hours (!!!) the first bags arrived (mine was one of them). Fortunately, NYC was my final destination but for almost all the other pax, they had missed their connecting flight thanks to this outrageous "Bag Circus". Must have costed Delta a fortune to rebook everyone and dole out compensation for "late bag delivery".

pitbosflyer

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 pm

FGITD wrote:
Don't want to get involved in the trollfest thread about JetBlue that's running, but for anyone wondering, I can assure you that BOS is a bit of a mess. JetBlue in all likelihood will come out looking smart for canceling all operations.

DL may be operating, but there are currently flights that were scheduled to depart before 9am still waiting.

Furthermore, as temperatures drop, so do deicing holdover times. Frozen ice pellets in severe cold is as bad as it gets. Bad as in, 5 minutes maximum from the START of fluid application to airborne. Impossible to keep up with.

E of course rolls on as usual. Just some very cold folks out here working.

I was on a B6 flight back into Boston on Sunday. They cancelled and rescheduled me for Tuesday.....ahh thanks but no thanks. So I immediately booked a Delta flight back that connected thru Minneapolis. Even though the flight got delayed and once we landed we had to wait two hours for a gate, I appreciate DL kept operations going. The pilot did mention he expected a rough landing and I can confirm it was bumpy once we dropped below the clouds. Last night they were the only ones other than the international carriers doing anything in Bos. The reason we had to wait 2 hours for a gate at 8:30 was all the European wide body departures were taking forever to be deiced. We had a whole line of DL arrivals waiting for those gates. But I didn't complain I just watched the Pats game on the plane lol. All that being said DL got me home while I would have been twiddling my thumbs waiting till tomorrow for B6 to fly me home.

chrisnh

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Did Sichuan Airlines give up on Boston after having received approval to fly here?

jworks158

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:
Don't want to get involved in the trollfest thread about JetBlue that's running, but for anyone wondering, I can assure you that BOS is a bit of a mess. JetBlue in all likelihood will come out looking smart for canceling all operations.

DL may be operating, but there are currently flights that were scheduled to depart before 9am still waiting.

Furthermore, as temperatures drop, so do deicing holdover times. Frozen ice pellets in severe cold is as bad as it gets. Bad as in, 5 minutes maximum from the START of fluid application to airborne. Impossible to keep up with.

I was on a B6 flight back into Boston on Sunday. They cancelled and rescheduled me for Tuesday.....ahh thanks but no thanks. So I immediately booked a Delta flight back that connected thru Minneapolis. Even though the flight got delayed and once we landed we had to wait two hours for a gate, I appreciate DL kept operations going. The pilot did mention he expected a rough landing and I can confirm it was bumpy once we dropped below the clouds. Last night they were the only ones other than the international carriers doing anything in Bos. The reason we had to wait 2 hours for a gate at 8:30 was all the European wide body departures were taking forever to be deiced. We had a whole line of DL arrivals waiting for those gates. But I didn't complain I just watched the Pats game on the plane lol. All that being said DL got me home while I would have been twiddling my thumbs waiting till tomorrow for B6 to fly me home.

Also I heard via: https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts_/statu ... 9015909376

"#DL1107 attempted to make a turn on the ground at Boston and now needing assistance. Requested a tug. Taxiway very slippery
Reported poor/no braking by several aircraft.
https://fr24.com/DAL1107/1f4119f6 …"

This resulted in this taxiway being blocking by this A321 for over 1.5 hours while they tried to move the plane. It also supposedly blocked all of the wide bodies from departing.

aaflyer777

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:22 pm

As predicted F9 has now loaded BOS-DEN, starts May 1, times as follows
BOS-DEN 0600-0822
DEN-BOS 1815-0008

VS4ever

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
As predicted F9 has now loaded BOS-DEN, starts May 1, times as follows
BOS-DEN 0600-0822
DEN-BOS 1815-0008

MCO-BOS 08.20 - 11.20
BOS-MCO 12.10 - 15.29

The above 2 are daily, but seasonal as far as I can tell.

RDU-BOS 07.24 - 09.31
BOS-RDU 10.21 - 12.27

So set up for single gate access and why wouldn't it with only 3 flights, only 2 of which are daily, but they are times for the days that RDU is running that separates nicely and interestingly they will have a RON with BOS-DEN.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

pitbosflyer

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm

jworks158 wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Also I heard via: https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts_/statu ... 9015909376

"#DL1107 attempted to make a turn on the ground at Boston and now needing assistance. Requested a tug. Taxiway very slippery
Reported poor/no braking by several aircraft.
https://fr24.com/DAL1107/1f4119f6 …"

This resulted in this taxiway being blocking by this A321 for over 1.5 hours while they tried to move the plane. It also supposedly blocked all of the wide bodies from departing.

Ahhh that makes more sense why all the wide bodies were still there. They must have needed to get deiced again after they were able to move DL1107 before they pushed back.

FGITD

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 pm

jworks158 wrote:

90 minutes to move a 321 seems odd. The LH 350 that slid on the way in took no more than 20 minutes.

The new BOS thread is a great read. Apparently if someone can shovel a driveway (before the ice really started, mind you) then Massport should be able to clear miles of runway and taxiways.

The progress of the threads pertinent to this storm really shows the fickle nature of this website, and why so many aviation professionals are aware of it, but will never post.

Day 1-"the weather isn't even that bad, why would anyone cancel?"

Day 2-"Massport did such a terrible job, now the airlines are forced to cancel and delay"

The storm was tricky to predict, and seemingly no one got it right. due to the extremely heavy rain right before the temperature plummet, everything froze instantly. Because so many airlines insisted on operating, massport had to continually keep at least one runway open. Because of this, all the snow/ice removing equipment was committed to keeping that runway open, letting the others get iced over again.

But bear in mind, delays do not necessarily originate with limited runway operations. EVERY piece of equipment used to service planes in BOS (and most airports) lives outside, 24/7, for decades. Every belt, every tug, every loader, cart, dolly, towbar etc etc etc was outside. Got snowed on. Got rained on. Got iced over. Even the jetbridges weren't working well.

And the equipment isn't like a car. Once you shovel it out and get the ice off, there are still a great many exposed moving parts. Belt loaders for example, are notoriously difficult in ice because basically every piece of it will freeze together.

Boston would have been better off getting 2 feet of snow than the ice we got.

Dieuwer

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Or Massport just builds a fancy energy shield that keeps the snow and ice out. Of course, the shields of the airplanes landing and departing should match the rotating frequency of the Massport energy shield otherwise we will have big explosion. :D

I really recommend people watching StarTrek more often. It will give you lots of great ideas ;)

airbazar

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm

FGITD wrote:
The new BOS thread is a great read. Apparently if someone can shovel a driveway (before the ice really started, mind you) then Massport should be able to clear miles of runway and taxiways.

The irony is that even that couldn't have been true. I was out there every couple of hours shoveling because I knew it was going to turn to ice and it took until yesterday afternoon for the ice to melt :) It was so cold that the salt didn't do anything. My neighbor used that blue snowmelt and all it did was create slush early on which then froze solid once temps dropped. His driveway turned into a blue ice rink :)
DTW has been completely closed since 8pm last night for the same icing reason. It really puts into perspective what a nuisance ice can be when we consider that DTW is one of the best if not best well prepared winter weather airport in the country.

ramzi

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with G-CIVO? It returned around an hour after take-off on Monday, and was still there last night. Definitely made things a bit complicated, there were two 747s around E12, and a Norwegian 787 parked right behind. Definitely wouldn't have been a nice moment to get an A380 in there.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

jworks158

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Interestingly a airport spokesperson told NBC Boston that the issues that they have been experiencing were not from icing but from mechanical issues.https://twitter.com/MichaelPageWx/status/1087763931815399427

"NEW: @BostonLogan spokesperson tells me frozen runways are not the reason for delays after the storm, which is what many airlines have told customers. "Our crews were able to clear the runways," she says, adding that extreme cold has caused more mechanical issues than usual."

I imeadiatly countered this statement with the FAA National Airspace stats which https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/, describes the reason for ground stops, or national delay programs. It listed icing as the issue, and with the other reports out there, the statement that massport made was highly inadequate.

jworks158

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:18 pm

SPOTTER ALERT: First Air Lingus A330 in the new livery inbound

pitbosflyer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:26 pm

This was in the other thread discussing the "meltdown" but looks like a Southwest 737 skidded off the taxiway.
https://twitter.com/PaulNuttingJr/statu ... 1918148609

chrisnh

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 pm

I’ve got a couple trips coming up and I’ve never been to either place: Kyoto (Osaka) and Shanghai. I know I can get to Shanghai on Hainan nonstop, and Probably BOS-NARITA-OSAKA on JAL. But are there any other cool routings I might look into?

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I’ve got a couple trips coming up and I’ve never been to either place: Kyoto (Osaka) and Shanghai. I know I can get to Shanghai on Hainan nonstop, and Probably BOS-NARITA-OSAKA on JAL. But are there any other cool routings I might look into?

Cathay Pacific via HKG? BOS-HKG-SHA, BOS-HKG-KIX?

jsteeves3

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:43 am

Sneak peak at BOS routes. Putting together a full list of all airlines. Stay tuned! (P.S. international numbers look great from BOS!)

Guide:
Flight Loads are One Way From Boston to the Destination
September 2018: Domestic Flights
June 2018: International Flights
Mainline Departures Only
Year Round Destinations Only

American Airlines

Charlotte (CLT) 70%
Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) 83%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) 86%
Los Angeles (LAX) 68%
Miami (MIA) 81%
New York-JFK (JFK) 54%
New York-LaGuardia (LGA) 65%
Philadelphia (PHL) 75%
Phoenix-Sky Harbor (PHX) 90%
Washington-National (DCA) 78%

Delta Air Lines

Amsterdam (AMS) 95%
Atlanta (ATL) 89%
Austin (AUS) 83%
Cincinnati (CVG) 87%
Detroit (DTW) 83%
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 59%
London–Heathrow (LHR) 94%
Los Angeles (LAX) 81%
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 87%
New York–JFK (JFK) 76%
New York–LaGuardia (LGA) 67%
Orlando (MCO) 71%
Paris–Charles de Gaulle (CDG) 95%
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) 44%
Salt Lake City (SLC) 93%
San Francisco (SFO) 78%
Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) 89%
Tampa (TPA) 59%
Emirates

Dubai (DXB) 99%

Qatar Airways

Doha (DOH) 93%

Japan Airlines

Tokyo- Narita (NRT) 94%

Cathay Pacific

Hong Kong (HKG) 94%

Hainan Airlines

Beijing-Capital (PEK) 84%
Shanghai-Pudong (PVG) 76%

British Airways

London-Heathrow (LHR) 94%

Lufthansa

Frankfurt (FRA) 97%
Munich (MUC) 96%

adamh8297

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:52 am

Dieuwer wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

Cathay Pacific via HKG? BOS-HKG-SHA, BOS-HKG-KIX?

WS BOS-YYZ to CZ YYZ-PVG

LX BOS-ZRH-PVG if you want to go transatlantic

EK BOS-DXB-KIX long route but if you want to fly ME3 it's your shot.

Lots of two stops involving AS to BR or CI.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

VS4ever

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:29 am

jsteeves3 wrote:
Sneak peak at BOS routes. Putting together a full list of all airlines. Stay tuned! (P.S. international numbers look great from BOS!)

Guide:
Mainline Departures Only

American Airlines

Charlotte (CLT) 70%
Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) 83%
Los Angeles (LAX) 68%
Miami (MIA) 81%
New York-JFK (JFK) 54%
Philadelphia (PHL) 75%

Delta Air Lines

Amsterdam (AMS) 95%
Atlanta (ATL) 89%
Austin (AUS) 83%
Cincinnati (CVG) 87%
Detroit (DTW) 83%
Los Angeles (LAX) 81%
New York–JFK (JFK) 76%
Orlando (MCO) 71%
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) 44%
Salt Lake City (SLC) 93%
San Francisco (SFO) 78%
Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) 89%
Tampa (TPA) 59%
Emirates

Dubai (DXB) 99%

Qatar Airways

Doha (DOH) 93%

Japan Airlines

Tokyo- Narita (NRT) 94%

Cathay Pacific

Hong Kong (HKG) 94%

Hainan Airlines

British Airways

Lufthansa

Frankfurt (FRA) 97%
Munich (MUC) 96%

This might help you for the international side of things. I used to do domestic but time is against me right now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =206185917

those domestic numbers are interesting to say the least, some very good ones, but also some horrid ones as well, although how bad depends on the number of flights. 1 flight at 44% won't set the world on fire as a problem, 60 at 44% will.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

adamh8297

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 pm

VS4ever wrote:
jsteeves3 wrote:

Guide:
Mainline Departures Only

American Airlines

Charlotte (CLT) 70%
Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) 83%
Los Angeles (LAX) 68%
Miami (MIA) 81%
New York-JFK (JFK) 54%
Philadelphia (PHL) 75%

Delta Air Lines

Amsterdam (AMS) 95%
Atlanta (ATL) 89%
Austin (AUS) 83%
Cincinnati (CVG) 87%
Detroit (DTW) 83%
Los Angeles (LAX) 81%
New York–JFK (JFK) 76%
Orlando (MCO) 71%
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) 44%
Salt Lake City (SLC) 93%
San Francisco (SFO) 78%
Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) 89%
Tampa (TPA) 59%
Emirates

Dubai (DXB) 99%

Qatar Airways

Doha (DOH) 93%

Japan Airlines

Tokyo- Narita (NRT) 94%

Cathay Pacific

Hong Kong (HKG) 94%

Hainan Airlines

British Airways

Lufthansa

Frankfurt (FRA) 97%
Munich (MUC) 96%

This might help you for the international side of things. I used to do domestic but time is against me right now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =206185917

those domestic numbers are interesting to say the least, some very good ones, but also some horrid ones as well, although how bad depends on the number of flights. 1 flight at 44% won't set the world on fire as a problem, 60 at 44% will.

Could that number have been due to an equipment swap at last minute?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

33lspotter

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:02 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
WS BOS-YYZ to CZ YYZ-PVG

LX BOS-ZRH-PVG if you want to go transatlantic

EK BOS-DXB-KIX long route but if you want to fly ME3 it's your shot.

Lots of two stops involving AS to BR or CI.

The mention of being able to go one-stop either TPAC or TATL to PVG and KIX is pretty interesting.

On a faintly-related note, I've noticed that the HU flights to PEK (and probably PVG) have -- instead of flying west off the HYLND departure, the way they did when I was on the flight, over Montreal/Alaska/etc. -- been going more east (pretty much routing from the bottom to top of the state of Maine) and taking the LBSTA departure. Would assume it's due to shifting winds, but, either way, pretty intriguing that a flight has routed similarly to both TPAC and TATL flights (CX to HKG also takes a more easterly routing, but unlike HU I think that has been standard practice pretty much since the route launched.)

airbazar

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:37 pm

jworks158 wrote:
Interestingly a airport spokesperson told NBC Boston that the issues that they have been experiencing were not from icing but from mechanical issues.https://twitter.com/MichaelPageWx/status/1087763931815399427

"NEW: @BostonLogan spokesperson tells me frozen runways are not the reason for delays after the storm, which is what many airlines have told customers. "Our crews were able to clear the runways," she says, adding that extreme cold has caused more mechanical issues than usual."

I imeadiatly countered this statement with the FAA National Airspace stats which https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/, describes the reason for ground stops, or national delay programs. It listed icing as the issue, and with the other reports out there, the statement that massport made was highly inadequate.

"Icing" doesn't impact runways only. As mentioned above by FGITD, icing impacts equipment on the ground. The "mechanical" issues were the result of icing.

jworks158

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

"Icing" doesn't impact runways only. As mentioned above by FGITD, icing impacts equipment on the ground. The "mechanical" issues were the result of icing.

I can definitely understand that, but when I read that the first time, I guess I felt like the mechanical issues mentioned in the statement were on the airlines part, rather than on massports part.

33lspotter

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Any word on whether the power issue with 15R/33L from the other day has been solved? Winds are supposed to shift back to NW tonight. Either way I was a bit surprised to hear that a singular runway had power issues.

hinckley

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm

chrisnh wrote:

This may be heresy on this forum, but if I had to go to Kyoto or Osaka, I'd take JL into NRT and Shinkansen bullet trains from there. On my visit to Japan a few months ago, I got my first trips on a 787 and a bullet train. And I've got to say that the bullet trains were the absolute highlight of my time in Japan. I regret taking a couple of the domestic flights that I did, and wish I'd done all my domestic travel on the train. The Shinkansen experience is incredibly impressive.

33lspotter

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:01 am

hinckley wrote:
This may be heresy on this forum, but if I had to go to Kyoto or Osaka, I'd take JL into NRT and Shinkansen bullet trains from there. On my visit to Japan a few months ago, I got my first trips on a 787 and a bullet train. And I've got to say that the bullet trains were the absolute highlight of my time in Japan. I regret taking a couple of the domestic flights that I did, and wish I'd done all my domestic travel on the train. The Shinkansen experience is incredibly impressive.

I had a similar experience in China -- based in Beijing for the week I wanted to make a day trip to Shanghai. Wanted to take the train but the times weren't working out and so I flew into SHA and back from PVG, taking the train to and from the airports on either end. And while I didn't get in a true distance bullet train, I did take the maglev to PVG (maxes out around 300 kph) and (while overpriced vs. the local line and not as extensive as the Shinkansen network) it was impressive.

Other Update: NOTAMS appear to say that 15R/33L is closed until 2300 EST Sat. Given my username, I'm a bit disappointed, but I got to see the BA 744 (my favorite BOS visitor) the other night and five times in the last week, so I guess it's a good break. ;)

rnav2dlrey

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 am

chrisnh wrote:

BOS-XXX-HNL-GUM-KIX, all on UA metal (you could even take the island hopper potentially - i'm not sure what time GUM-KIX departs).

BOS-HNL-KIX on HA.

tlecam

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:03 am

If your trips are after April 12th, you could go through ICN on KE.

chrisnh

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am

tlecam wrote:
If your trips are after April 12th, you could go through ICN on KE.

Late May, actually, to China. Then October to Kyoto.

tphuang

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:47 pm

chrisnh wrote:

are you paying out of pocket or is it covered? If you are paying out of pocket, I'd look for some cheap one-stop options. The R/T J fares on one-stop variety to Asia is really low right now.

In terms of cool routing to take to shanghai. I'd suggest HKG. It's pretty convenient to go to central station via the airport express and you can spend some time there, try out the Victoria harbor ferry. The area on both side of Victoria Harbor are pretty cool.

For Kyoto, I'd definitely just fly into NRT and take the bullet train. If you have time, everyone loves going to kyoto.

tlecam

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:48 pm

I also second taking the bullet train. And enjoy it, don’t think about comparing it to the Acela or your head will explode.

VS4ever

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 pm

tlecam wrote:
I also second taking the bullet train. And enjoy it, don’t think about comparing it to the Acela or your head will explode.

Not even in the same zip code to compare those two.

B757rocket

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:40 pm

American Airlines has consolidated their operations in the pre-merger USAir piers of terminal B. The American Airlines Admirals Club is gorgeous. Air Canada is remaining at gates B-B3.
MASSPORT can now start renovating the pre-merger AA pier with the building of two new gates to accommodate Southwest moving in this summer.
The work on the roadway on approach and departures has commenced at a terminal B. Though it still looks like one lane only driving in from the renditions.

FGITD

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Heard today that Norwegian has suddenly and allegedly temporarily suspended the CDG flight for the next month or so.

No huge surprise given that this is definitely the quiet season, but I think AF and DL usually run the CDG flights almost daily during this time of the year

pitbosflyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 pm

FGITD wrote:
Heard today that Norwegian has suddenly and allegedly temporarily suspended the CDG flight for the next month or so.

No huge surprise given that this is definitely the quiet season, but I think AF and DL usually run the CDG flights almost daily during this time of the year

I think its reasonable for Norwegian to not run a near empty plane for that whole month. Especially without the J fares AF and DL have to help make it hurt a little less.

chrisnh

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:47 pm

tphuang wrote:
are you paying out of pocket or is it covered?

My company is taking care of both trips.

Dieuwer

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:40 am

chrisnh wrote:
tphuang wrote:
are you paying out of pocket or is it covered?

My company is taking care of both trips.

J or Y?

aaflyer777

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am

Volaris is looking to add more US cities this year, anyone think they they'll give BOS-GDL a go?

33lspotter

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 am

15R/33L back open and in operation tonight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos