VS4ever

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 am

FGITD wrote:
Anyone interested in seeing all 3 a380 gates in use by a380s simultaneously?

Interesting concept...

and not likely to happen too many times for much longer... but... clearly you know something we don't... BA don't have any to spare and EK aren't adding a flight in a similar time frame... so cue the speculation...
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

FGITD

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 am

VS4ever wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Interesting concept...

and not likely to happen too many times for much longer... but... clearly you know something we don't... BA don't have any to spare and EK aren't adding a flight in a similar time frame... so cue the speculation...

Another scenario that is far from confirmed, but it's fun to stir the pot a little and let the speculation grow wild

adamh8297

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 am

FGITD wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Interesting concept...

Another scenario that is far from confirmed, but it's fun to stir the pot a little and let the speculation grow wild

Here's how I would rank all possibilities in order of likelihood

LH - FRA - the safest best.
BA - 2nd Frequency - may not be daily
LH - MUC - decided it was better to go A380 than add 2nd frequency.
AF - as DL grows BOS maybe AF needs to as well.
QR - they are crazy enough to do it
EK - 2nd Frequency - slim chance but of course nothing is ever shocking with them.
KE - only 407 seats if they had been in BOS as long as JL this would be higher.
Last edited by adamh8297 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

EK77WNH

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 am

FGITD wrote:

Interesting concept...

ANA brings the Sea Turtle here on a one-off Leaf Peeper charter.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

NickolayAv

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:25 am

adamh8297 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Here's how I would rank all possibilities in order of likelihood

LH - FRA - the safest best.
BA - 2nd Frequency - may not be daily
LH - MUC - decided it was better to go A380 than add 2nd frequency.
AF - as DL grows BOS maybe AF needs to as well.
QR - they are crazy enough to do it
EK - 2nd Frequency - slim chance but of course nothing is ever shocking with them.
KE - only 407 seats if they had been in BOS as long as JL this would be higher.

One more to top off the list,
S4 or Norwegian leasing out HiFly's A380
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

airbazar

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:02 pm

FGITD wrote:

EK and BA will be on the ground at the same time on arrival as both arrive around 1:30ish, but not at departure. We know that Ba stays at the gate while EK is towed to a remote stand until its departure.
So who else arrives at that time that has an A380 in their fleet? There are only 3:
KE arr. ~1:30p
QR arr. ~2:10p
LH 422 arr. ~3pm If it arrives early or EK arrives late, this is a possibility.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was QR as they are probably leaving OW and will be competing head-to-head with BA, but I think the most sensible guess is LH :)

Edit: Now that I think about it it can only be LH. If it was either KE or QR they would need to use LH's dedicated gate and I'm not sure LH would be too happy about that :)

VS4ever

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:37 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:

EK and BA will be on the ground at the same time on arrival as both arrive around 1:30ish, but not at departure. We know that Ba stays at the gate while EK is towed to a remote stand until its departure.
So who else arrives at that time that has an A380 in their fleet? There are only 3:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was QR as they are probably leaving OW and will be competing head-to-head with BA, but I think the most sensible guess is LH :)

Edit: Now that I think about it it can only be LH. If it was either KE or QR they would need to use LH's dedicated gate and I'm not sure LH would be too happy about that :)

Let’s not forget in the original analysis of 380 gate requirements, LH was seen as the #3 user after BA and EK
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

airbazar

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:50 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Let’s not forget in the original analysis of 380 gate requirements, LH was seen as the #3 user after BA and EK

Which could mean 2 things: LH does start A380 ops or Massport told them to sh* or get off the pot, and allocates the gate to another airline :)

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:53 pm

What's going to happen to the A380 gates in the future, now that the A380 program has been cancelled?

FGITD

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:05 pm

After further review of the timing, I may have been incorrect about 3 at the gate simultaneously. All on the ground at the same time, yes, but possibly not at the gates.

Some interesting ideas though.

iyerhari

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Nice article in the Globe regarding DL expansion plans for Logan

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/20 ... story.html

Key summary from the article:

1. DL plans to expand daily peak departures to 158 (new destinations a secret). They will be ~141 after the new adds.
2. B6 will stay the market leader at Logan despite all the adds - a statistic quoted in the article explains this for 2018:

Delta’s passenger count grew by 15.5 percent last year, compared to JetBlue’s 9.8 percent. But JetBlue added 1 million passengers, in total, compared with Delta’s additional 600,000. 150 daily flights? JetBlue is shooting for 200.

3. DL is showing full commitment to Logan but the clouds of economic downturn may change all of that. A booming Boston economy is the key for this.

I do not know how many folks have had a chance to see the new Terminal B but it is looking really nice. Massport has done a real nice job here. All of AA operations now happen from the LUS side. I did not however see Santarpio yet :)

VS4ever

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
What's going to happen to the A380 gates in the future, now that the A380 program has been cancelled?

I must admit to the same thought, clearly the 3rd jetbridge would no longer be used, because there's nothing out there that would require it. could they reconfigure to do a double jet bridge for the 777's etc, that folks have been asking for instead. as those would clearly be beneficial

clrd4t8koff

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Slight correction - KE arrives at 10:30am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/korean-to ... oute-2019/

airbazar

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Very little changes in my opinion as I expect A380's to continue flying for the next 20 years. The hold space will always be needed for future 779's and such. Hopefully the new expansion will have "normal" A380 jet bridges that can be raised or lowers and used at either desk.
As for the existing gates, if there are no more A380 ops at BOS the upper deck bridge can just be lowered and "re-attached" to the lower deck and provide dual jetbridge access to every large plane like it should have been done from day 1 :)

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Slight correction - KE arrives at 10:30am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/korean-to ... oute-2019/

Thanks, i got it mixed up. It departs at 1:30 which means it might still be at the gate when BA and EK arrive.

And if "simultaneously" is no longer a condition than AF too is a possibility. They arrive around 3pm. If they arrive early and EK stays on for more than 1 hour it can happen. And that pretty much covers all A380 operators LOL

VS4ever

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Bit of fun for you guys... I replied to a guys post about logging new routes, and anna.aero does a great job but is somewhat incomplete. So i figured why not and created my version. I would say this about 95% right for international. I have picked up everything i can find going back as far as I can. Anything that was announced and either ended or didn't start, I have marked with an X in the last column.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Take a look, if I have missed anything glaringly obvious I will add it, but i am not convinced I have. Enjoy.

There is a domestic version, which i can create what's there, but finding missing ones is a lot harder for those.

33lspotter

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:52 pm

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe QR currently flies its A380 anywhere in the US, I believe the closest place is LHR. That being said, they upgraded BOS to a 77W so who knows?

Also, interestingly enough I looked at the BA schedules, I always thought they switched seasonal schedules on Sundays (winter ends on Saturday/summer starts Sunday) but the A380 does not appear to be starting until a day later, Monday, April 1st, so the Queen’s last visit appears to be a day later (3/31) than thought.

adamh8297

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:11 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Bit of fun for you guys... I replied to a guys post about logging new routes, and anna.aero does a great job but is somewhat incomplete. So i figured why not and created my version. I would say this about 95% right for international. I have picked up everything i can find going back as far as I can. Anything that was announced and either ended or didn't start, I have marked with an X in the last column.

Take a look, if I have missed anything glaringly obvious I will add it, but i am not convinced I have. Enjoy.

There is a domestic version, which i can create what's there, but finding missing ones is a lot harder for those.

Speaking of anna.aero - there was a post in the travels polls + preference forum about an article with top 10 unserved routes from top 10 Asian airports. Plenty of O+D numbers in this write-up

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1417229
https://www.anna.aero/2019/03/06/100-ro ... p-service/

Out of the top 10 - BOS has flights to half: TYO (article only uses HND but the market is served), PVG, ICN, PEK, and HKG.

BOS is 6th largest unserved route out of CAN. It also has quadrupled in 4 years using the 2011 Brookings report as comparison.

BOS is in top 15 from DEL - surprisingly YYC-DEL is much higher. I was shocked. Even YEG is bigger too!!!! Is this an Indian diaspora in Canada thing? Also the 2011 vs 2019 #'s were pretty close - 2019 was 8% higher. I do wonder if its just not counting direct bookings on QR/EK/TK which often is not included in these OAG or Sabre reports.

BOS was not in the top 15 of the following:
CGK and BKK will never happen. SIN could but it would most likely be fifth freedom

clrd4t8koff

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:40 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Speaking of anna.aero - there was a post in the travels polls + preference forum about an article with top 10 unserved routes from top 10 Asian airports. Plenty of O+D numbers in this write-up

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... &t=1417229
https://www.anna.aero/2019/03/06/100-ro ... p-service/

Out of the top 10 - BOS has flights to half: TYO (article only uses HND but the market is served), PVG, ICN, PEK, and HKG.

BOS is 6th largest unserved route out of CAN. It also has quadrupled in 4 years using the 2011 Brookings report as comparison.

BOS is in top 15 from DEL - surprisingly YYC-DEL is much higher. I was shocked. Even YEG is bigger too!!!! Is this an Indian diaspora in Canada thing? Also the 2011 vs 2019 #'s were pretty close - 2019 was 8% higher. I do wonder if its just not counting direct bookings on QR/EK/TK which often is not included in these OAG or Sabre reports.

CGK and BKK will never happen. SIN could but it would most likely be fifth freedom

I was amazed that YYC & YEG both were larger to DEL than BOS. Wonder if that is also true for say BOM or BLR?

Also was surprised at how big CAN-BOS was, even larger than CAN-ORD. We've seen old articles where CZ has stated BOS is on their radar. Wonder if they'll move forward with it if more frequencies open up for US markets. Seems like a great route for a 789 to start.

Definitely don't think CGK or BKK would ever be launched from BOS. Would be nice to see BOS-SIN served with a 5th freedom route like SQ's SIN-MAN-IAH. Maybe SIN-BRU-BOS? Or SIN-ATH-BOS.

airbazar

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:51 pm

adamh8297 wrote:

To be fair I'd be surprised if any U.S. city is in the top 15 from SIN. SIN is not exactly a volume market for N.America.

As for the Canada-India volume. My guess is because Canada has fewer large cities so there's more consolidation from those cities, both are Commonwealth nations, and Canada has higher immigration rates and is generally more welcoming of immigrants.

I think the best change to see SQ in BOS has come and gone. I honestly believe that they had a chance to preempt KE by starting SIN-ICN-BOS and I see no reason why that flight would not be a success.

adamh8297

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:09 pm

airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

To be fair I'd be surprised if any U.S. city is in the top 15 from SIN. SIN is not exactly a volume market for N.America.

As for the Canada-India volume. My guess is because Canada has fewer large cities so there's more consolidation from those cities, both are Commonwealth nations, and Canada has higher immigration rates and is generally more welcoming of immigrants.

I think the best change to see SQ in BOS has come and gone. I honestly believe that they had a chance to preempt KE by starting SIN-ICN-BOS and I see no reason why that flight would not be a success.

Thats what I was leaning towards with Canada. Also Canadian employers offer more vacation time which helps the diaspora travel more.

For SIN, IAD was #15 in unserved markets and I doubt if they combined it with DCA and BWI which covers the catchment for WAS. Anna.aero is prone to look at individual airports and not markets.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

VS4ever

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Latest BOS adjustment from Enrila's thread (thanks to him for all the work of course!) Continued AA reductions in frequency and that June JFK is just wierd. Interesting DL upping AUA a bit

AA BOS-DFW JUN 9>7[7]
AA BOS-JFK JUN 5>0.8[5] JUL 5>4[5]
AA BOS-LGA JUL 12>11[11]
DL AUA-BOS DEC 0.1>0.3[0.1]
UA BOS-EWR JUL 11>10[10]

NickolayAv

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:55 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Latest BOS adjustment from Enrila's thread (thanks to him for all the work of course!) Continued AA reductions in frequency and that June JFK is just wierd. Interesting DL upping AUA a bit

AA BOS-DFW JUN 9>7[7]
AA BOS-LGA JUL 12>11[11]
UA BOS-EWR JUL 11>10[10]

The DL AUA-BOS route is gaining 3 extra flights from December 19, 2019, to January 2, 2020, every Thursday. With loads in the healthy 90s, I wonder if DL is going to push this round to year-round and/or add some frequencies.
As for AA's flight to JFK. Could that be a misfile? Even for retreating AA in BOS and JFK, sub-daily seems really low.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

adamh8297

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:56 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

AA BOS-DFW JUN 9>7[7]
AA BOS-LGA JUL 12>11[11]
UA BOS-EWR JUL 11>10[10]

The DL AUA-BOS route is gaining 3 extra flights from December 19, 2019, to January 2, 2020, every Thursday. With loads in the healthy 90s, I wonder if DL is going to push this round to year-round and/or add some frequencies.
As for AA's flight to JFK. Could that be a misfile? Even for retreating AA in BOS and JFK, sub-daily seems really low.

I got 10 flights added by doing a non-stop search on ITA. With B6 not loading the schedule yet it only shows DL.

From 12/19/19 to 1/4/20 its essentially runs on a x23 schedule. No flights on the eve's and holidays.

jplatts

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 pm

While WN has already cut back on BOS-MDW, BOS-HOU, BOS-MCI, and BOS-MKE nonstop service and while WN will be reducing BOS-IND nonstop service to Saturday-only starting in June 2019, WN will still operate 2 daily nonstops to CMH from BOS from April 8th through September 2nd.

Is WN actually doing better on BOS-CMH than it is on BOS-MDW, BOS-IND, BOS-MCI, and BOS-MKE? I am surprised that WN hasn't yet reduced frequencies on CMH-BOS during the spring and summer travel seasons when WN has reduced frequencies on BOS-MDW, BOS-HOU, BOS-IND, BOS-MCI, and BOS-MKE nonstop service.

33lspotter

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

The Whalebus comes in April on the BA213/212 rotation; all other BA flights during that time (214/215, 203/202, and 238/239) are slated to be 777s/787s. While I wouldn't be surprised to see a 747 swap out for one of those on a particular day, this must be one of the first times in years that BA won't be sending 747s to BOS for an entire seasonal schedule. I remember them being here 4x/day when I first moved here!

EK77WNH

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Not only that, but the days are drawing to a close where BA can send the two Retro 744s to Boston. Thus far, neither has paid a visit.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

jworks158

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:24 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Not only that, but the days are drawing to a close where BA can send the two Retro 744s to Boston. Thus far, neither has paid a visit.

Looking back at flight history for the BOAC bird, and the landor bird, the BOAC bird hasn't been boston since last year, so I might guess that the particular planes layout isn't typically used on the BOS route. That being said, the Landor bird, does typically make an appearance in BOS typically multiple times a month. Given that It just went into service on 4 days ago I would expect it soon.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

33lspotter

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 pm

EK77WNH wrote:

Yes, this week the 213/212 has been a 777 since Monday and is slated to be on it tomorrow as well. 744 is scheduled to return Friday but not certain whether or not it will be changed.

rob2507

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm

BA has a Twitter handle dedicated to the retrojets, @BAretrojets. They note the Landor plane will be visiting Boston tomorrow as BA212 (Friday, 3/15), but that's always subject to change (they've had it scheduled for BOS twice already, but then sent it elsewhere).

ramzi

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

They are very meticulous with load management in BOS from what I've seen and experienced, so the changes indicate they are confident about Y loads in the summer, not sure why that is since I haven't seen J cabin with more than 2 empty seats in a very long time. I just hope we see more 787s and maybe 77Ws instead of the 77Es.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

jworks158

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm

rob2507 wrote:
BA has a Twitter handle dedicated to the retrojets, @BAretrojets. They note the Landor plane will be visiting Boston tomorrow as BA212 (Friday, 3/15), but that's always subject to change (they've had it scheduled for BOS twice already, but then sent it elsewhere).

Turns out BOAC is inbound currently scheduled to arrive at as BAW213 at 3:32 PM curtesy of JetTip.net
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)

jworks158

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:26 pm

I flew in to BOS last Saturday on the new B6 ROC route, and out yesterday on the A220, but I noticed two things to update you all on. 1. It appears AA now has taken over the gates up to B22 (the was an AE plane parked there) I have a friend flying out on the BOS-ROC aa flight later this week and have them taking a picture of the gate to see if this permanent change (based on which airlines branding is at the gate).
2. UA now appears to have taken over the OLD AA gates (30 to 31) there was a grounded max 9 parked at 32. I didn't know that UA would be taking over these gate.

VS4ever

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 pm

jworks158 wrote:
I flew in to BOS last Saturday on the new B6 ROC route, and out yesterday on the A220, but I noticed two things to update you all on. 1. It appears AA now has taken over the gates up to B22 (the was an AE plane parked there) I have a friend flying out on the BOS-ROC aa flight later this week and have them taking a picture of the gate to see if this permanent change (based on which airlines branding is at the gate).
2. UA now appears to have taken over the OLD AA gates (30 to 31) there was a grounded max 9 parked at 32. I didn't know that UA would be taking over these gate.

I believe the plan was
AC - B1 to B3
AA - B4 to B22 (although a couple were planned to be shared with SY and others)
UA - B23 to B31 (I think B22 was supposed to be shared as well)
WN - B32, B32A, B33, B33A and B34
AS - B35, B36
F9 & NK - B37 and B38, although not 100% certain about F9 because they came in after

aaflyer777

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Could F9 be using E like Hawaiian? I'm pretty sure all their flights arrive/depart before 1200 so E would be wide open.

jsteeves3

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 pm

AA has B4-B22 to themselves for now. Flew a few weeks ago BOS-DFW-OGG and back. Early mornings are very crowded with the consolidation. B16-B22 is mainly used for shuttle flights with a new normal departures. B4-B15 is all normal AA departures. B12 is very tight for a 32B full flight. The B6, B8 area is very nice and open with the high ceilings. B7-B12 still looks like a dump. When walking out from security it is super nice, almost a rustic vibe. UA tends to use B30-B32 for overnight parking with flights going out the next morning. They are rarely used otherwise throughout the day. Overall it may be one of the nicest parts of the airport but it seems like they took some shortcuts with the end of the concourse. I will also note that the food court is under construction walls and as I was arriving back they were doing some touch ups at the end of the concourse. I would say B4-B8 and B14-B15 would be a pleasure to fly out of. Personally B14-B15 is my favorite area of B.

jplatts

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 pm

WN is dropping BOS-IND nonstop service after September 28th (already discussed at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411861&start=300#p21189557).

I am surprised that WN still has 2 daily nonstops to CMH from BOS when WN is dropping BOS-IND and when WN has cut back on BOS-MDW, BOS-HOU, BOS-MCI, and BOS-MKE. Is WN actually doing better on BOS-CMH nonstop service than on BOS-MDW, BOS-HOU, BOS-IND, BOS-MCI, or BOS-MKE?

VS4ever

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 pm

jplatts wrote:
WN is dropping BOS-IND nonstop service after September 28th (already discussed at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411861&start=300#p21189557).

I am surprised that WN still has 2 daily nonstops to CMH from BOS when WN is dropping BOS-IND and when WN has cut back on BOS-MDW, BOS-HOU, BOS-MCI, and BOS-MKE. Is WN actually doing better on BOS-CMH nonstop service than on BOS-MDW, BOS-HOU, BOS-IND, BOS-MCI, or BOS-MKE?

you really need tphuang and his yield work to truly determine the answer from a load analysis through Nov 18 (I have December, but not completed the work yet). YTD loads are - Inbound - Outbound - Total

BOS-MDW - 87.81%, 86.12%, 86.95%
BOS-HOU - 91.03%, 88.63%, 89.82%
BOS-MCI - 78.91%, 77.47%, 78.19%
BOS-MKE - 59.69%, 64.90%, 62.25%
BOS-IND - 72.94%, 75.99%, 74.46%

BOS-CMH - 68.30%, 71.44%, 69.85%

MKE is the worst load performing route in their network from BOS, CMH is 2nd worst.

rob2507

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:52 am

jworks158 wrote:
rob2507 wrote:

Turns out BOAC is inbound currently scheduled to arrive at as BAW213 at 3:32 PM curtesy of JetTip.net

Of course Mark was able to grab a beautiful shot: https://twitter.com/pictureboston/statu ... 99968?s=21

FGITD

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:10 am

rob2507 wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
rob2507 wrote:

Of course Mark was able to grab a beautiful shot: https://twitter.com/pictureboston/statu ... 99968?s=21

Beautiful picture. I managed to get a few from a bit closer, but definitely much lower quality/less skilled. But in exchange I did get hit by it's jetblast, so there's that.

Also just to further pique interest, the aforementioned a380 would be a one off.

VS4ever

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am

I just noticed that Massport uploaded the powerpoint deck from November’s meeting
Lots of great info about the E expansion where one little bit of information might be telling in that, they are actually at least considering building the full project at once to get it done by 2023 and save 50m

On the downside, unless I am reading it all wrong, the B to C connector project. While still going ahead has some very confusing slides as to its final set up. Not to be confused by the B optimization project which pretty much aligns with what I posted above
http://www.massport.com/media/3106/nove ... ermark.pdf

B752OS

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm

VS4ever wrote:
I just noticed that Massport uploaded the powerpoint deck from November’s meeting
Lots of great info about the E expansion where one little bit of information might be telling in that, they are actually at least considering building the full project at once to get it done by 2023 and save 50m

On the downside, unless I am reading it all wrong, the B to C connector project. While still going ahead has some very confusing slides as to its final set up. Not to be confused by the B optimization project which pretty much aligns with what I posted above

Thanks for sharing. The slides confirm that 5 of the new gates will have dual jet bridges in Terminal E. Looks like this is going to be really nice when finished - hopefully they go with color option 1 for the great hall.

stratacruiser

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 pm

I noticed UA78 (NRT-EWR) operating with 777-300 N2140U diverted to Logan last night. The UA app shows the planned continuation to EWR as having been cancelled, and I can’t find any reference to N2140U having left Logan. Is it still there? Anyone know how they handled the passengers? Thanks!

Dave

adamh8297

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:51 pm

Does anyone have info on BOS-HAV performance. Looks decent based on B6 seat map in dummy bookings but that's not the best indicator and I'm fearful for future travel restrictions.

B752OS wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Thanks for sharing. The slides confirm that 5 of the new gates will have dual jet bridges in Terminal E. Looks like this is going to be really nice when finished - hopefully they go with color option 1 for the great hall.

Agreed - this be a great addition.

I think the orientation of Terminal B Pier A was in different orientation in a few slides.

In slide 46 they talked about baggage check-in services at Logan Express locations and possibly Wonderland Blue Line, North Station (Why not South - direct SL bus service?) and the Cruiseport. I know this is an option with Hong Kong's MTR metro when going to HKG. Do any other US Airports do this?

tphuang

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 am

Question here about B6 gate situation. The last few days I checked, they've been doing about 171 to 175 departures per day on weekdays. I expect that to drop down to low 160s in summer time and then back up to 175 in fall season as the recently announced new frequencies get phased in for September. Now, I know they were at 24 gates last year and they are set to get 6 more over the next few years. Given that one of the gate is used by 9K for most of the day and 2 other ones are blocked off by TP and EI for the afternoon. It seems like they have about 21 full gates + 2 half gates in use + some departures at E1. They generally are comfortable at doing no more than 8 turns a day per gate. So, they are basically close to maxing out their gate situation if they have had no addition gates.

My questions is, have they gotten any of the 6 gates yet. Any idea how quickly those are phasing in.

By March/April next year (which is typically their peak daily flights), they will probably be at minimum 185 flights (just by adding in those additional frequencies coming into play in Sep/Oct). I can't imagine them operating a schedule like that without at least 26 overall gates. So any idea when they are coming into play?

VS4ever

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:11 am

tphuang wrote:
Question here about B6 gate situation. The last few days I checked, they've been doing about 171 to 175 departures per day on weekdays. I expect that to drop down to low 160s in summer time and then back up to 175 in fall season as the recently announced new frequencies get phased in for September. Now, I know they were at 24 gates last year and they are set to get 6 more over the next few years. Given that one of the gate is used by 9K for most of the day and 2 other ones are blocked off by TP and EI for the afternoon. It seems like they have about 21 full gates + 2 half gates in use + some departures at E1. They generally are comfortable at doing no more than 8 turns a day per gate. So, they are basically close to maxing out their gate situation if they have had no addition gates.

My questions is, have they gotten any of the 6 gates yet. Any idea how quickly those are phasing in.

By March/April next year (which is typically their peak daily flights), they will probably be at minimum 185 flights (just by adding in those additional frequencies coming into play in Sep/Oct). I can't imagine them operating a schedule like that without at least 26 overall gates. So any idea when they are coming into play?

They buildiing up to access 30 gates by 2021, here's how it's going to go.

Current footprint of C: 27 however subject to the restrictions you note clearly above for 9K, EI and TP, along with losing the 3 right now C40-C42 for SY and AS (that't the piece you are missing in your notes above)

B to C connector project will provide C20A and C43 to make 29 and #30 comes from preferential access to E1 to E3 at appropriate times (numbered C5-C7 from a C angle, but are actually E gates for the purposes of the exercise.

So... 3 of the 6 you are missing are C40-C42, which they will get when SY/AS vacate supposedly in June, clear up the signage and be ready to go in September for when the new flights start.

If we ignore the E scenario for a minute, and stick with the 29. remove 4 from the equation (C17, C20, C21 and C27) for the other airline factors, they are going to end up with 25 full time gates.
25*8 = 200, so you have the capacity right there once the 2 new gates are built.

C17, C20, C21, you can probably get 4 turns, they do use them when the others are not on stand, i've been out of at least one of them on that basis. so that's another 12.
C27 is used for a RON, so add 1.

E is the hard part, so let's assume 4-6 out of those when they are not being used for other things

Total available once all complete: 200+12+1+6 = 219,

Right now, the capacity on this basis after SY/AS vacate is in the 203 range, which is bang on where they think they are going to be.

Once E is finished 3 things could happen.
1. TP and EI move over back to E, that would free up another 4 turns per gate, so 12
2. B6 decide to increase their turns to 9 on their 25 gates.
3. Both happen

1. would increase capacity up to 231
2. would increase capacity up to 244
3, would increase capacity up to 256

The only other thing they could do to increase capacity after that point after all of that is kick out 9K to the old Eagle Terminal, which would give them 7-8 additional turns.

Hope this helps.

VS4ever

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:26 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-16mar19/

Good news from KE they are upping Winter to 4-5 weekly from 3 weekly on BOS - ICN

B752OS

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:35 pm

What's nice about the C to B connector and also the reconfiguration of that side of B is that in the slides it shows an A321 parked at all 17 gates - the 10 in pier B of terminal B and then the 7 gates between B and C. At least we know there won't be any constraints as far as space to accommodate any narrow body plane.

I wonder if TP and/or EI will make the move over to E in 2021 so they could have access to a full blown club space? Not sure what their situation is over in C, but how nice or well received is that smallish club they have there now?

NickolayAv

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:44 pm

VS4ever wrote:

Interesting read. With groundbreaking on Terminal E only one month away, does anyone know if there is a specific date set and if there will be some sort of ceremony?

tphuang

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm

VS4ever wrote:
tphuang wrote:

They buildiing up to access 30 gates by 2021, here's how it's going to go.

Current footprint of C: 27 however subject to the restrictions you note clearly above for 9K, EI and TP, along with losing the 3 right now C40-C42 for SY and AS (that't the piece you are missing in your notes above)

B to C connector project will provide C20A and C43 to make 29 and #30 comes from preferential access to E1 to E3 at appropriate times (numbered C5-C7 from a C angle, but are actually E gates for the purposes of the exercise.

So... 3 of the 6 you are missing are C40-C42, which they will get when SY/AS vacate supposedly in June, clear up the signage and be ready to go in September for when the new flights start.

If we ignore the E scenario for a minute, and stick with the 29. remove 4 from the equation (C17, C20, C21 and C27) for the other airline factors, they are going to end up with 25 full time gates.
25*8 = 200, so you have the capacity right there once the 2 new gates are built.

C17, C20, C21, you can probably get 4 turns, they do use them when the others are not on stand, i've been out of at least one of them on that basis. so that's another 12.
C27 is used for a RON, so add 1.

E is the hard part, so let's assume 4-6 out of those when they are not being used for other things

Total available once all complete: 200+12+1+6 = 219,

Right now, the capacity on this basis after SY/AS vacate is in the 203 range, which is bang on where they think they are going to be.

Once E is finished 3 things could happen.
1. TP and EI move over back to E, that would free up another 4 turns per gate, so 12
2. B6 decide to increase their turns to 9 on their 25 gates.
3. Both happen

1. would increase capacity up to 231
2. would increase capacity up to 244
3, would increase capacity up to 256

The only other thing they could do to increase capacity after that point after all of that is kick out 9K to the old Eagle Terminal, which would give them 7-8 additional turns.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for your help. It seems to me having TP & EI moving to E is probably the most likely to happen if they wanted to be able to run more flights down the road. Especially if their relationship with EI turns worse once they start flying to Europe.
Seems like they do have some room to expand still. Although how they get their is still an exercise. Seems like they can go from 185 to 200 pretty easily by adding 5 flights to Europe and 10 to middle of America cities that they don't have service to yet. But after that, gate constraint might not be an issue.

FGITD

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Interesting read. With groundbreaking on Terminal E only one month away, does anyone know if there is a specific date set and if there will be some sort of ceremony?

A moment of silence and a wreath laying at the gas station, as every terminal E employee, trooper, and livery driver loses their preferred lunch site.

Then we're all going out to north cargo to stack equipment because there's nowhere to store anything for the next few years.

Seriously though, most likely nothing much. Perhaps some state and massport officials will do a brief fury shovel ceremony at most. Really looking forward to the expansion though. Got to see a 3d render awhile back, very nice looking terminal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos