airbazar

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
But then you STILL have to board a bus and sit in Logan traffic...how is that different from taking the T anyway?

The advantage is the same as today: drive instead of taking the T but pay way less than a taxi.
When you get dropped off at the central garage you'll still have to walk to the terminal and it might not be a short walk. The shuttle bus drops you off at the terminal door.
I used to have a friend who lived in a condo in that area. I could get a visitor parking pass every time I flew out of Logan and just park my car on the street and walk to the T to catch the shuttle bus. It was a great perk to have but he decided to move to Revere, boooo :)

RL757PVD wrote:
I don’t know what BOS charges but I can tell you when I had to manage it at an airport that had 300,000 annual emplanements, it was $200/yr/vehicle. Uber and Lyft is commercial but each vehicle does not have this type of permit and that’s the issue that virtually every airport has.

They have it in the form of a airport fee. It's a different business model so it should be charged differently. i have nothing against charging a higher fee. My problem is with not giving it the same privileges as all other transportation options.

iyerhari

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:39 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
The difference from Watertown will become negligible. In fact, sometimes Lyft/Uber is more expensive than a cab already.

There's am easy way around that, that I bet will become more popular. Take a rideshare to/from the airport T stop on the East Boston side do you don't have to pay the airport fees then hop on the free shuttle bus to/from the terminals.

It is almost at-par from Watertown. There is a difference based on the peak fare rates that Uber charges. Uber arrivals at Logan is a complete mess - it takes anytime from 20 to 45 mins. and exiting the airport using the Uber way takes eternity. Taxi lines tend to be far shorter vs. Uber. This is not the case with Logan - even mighty ORD is similar. It takes anywhere from10-25 mins. at ORD on a Monday am peak hour and sometimes that is also not guaranteed. Taxi lines in contrast at ORD is mostly empty.

At Logan I believe the biggest bottleneck is Terminal C. Curbside drop-offs are tight in that terminal and that is where all the traffic jam starts. A and E IMO are the best. B is slightly better but C is the absolute worst. Incidentally, C and E share the same rideshare pickup. IMO, Central parking will be a complete disaster. As-Is, Central parking takes a longtime to park your car and then if you are going to add the whole mutiny of Uber pickups/drop-offs would be a complete disaster. But I think Massport does not have a solution for this - at one step they are faced with a large number of cars entering/exiting the airport and the other side they are possibly facing the wrath of Winthrop/E Boston residents.

Business travelers may end up going back to using a taxi or driving their car if Massport goes ahead with the plan for central parking. IMHO, price may not be a consideration for a business traveler but it is the time it takes maybe the biggest issue.

airbazar

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:19 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Business travelers may end up going back to using a taxi or driving their car if Massport goes ahead with the plan for central parking. IMHO, price may not be a consideration for a business traveler but it is the time it takes maybe the biggest issue.

Yup.I think Uber/Lyft should be treated just like taxis. They should be allowed to drop off passengers at the curb just like taxis can, and those that want to pickup pax should have wait in a holding area and leave in a FIFO sequence. Just like in a taxi, instead of calling for a Uber/Lyft, you go to the curb and get into the fist one in line just like how taxis work. Any Uber/Lyft driver that doesn't want this model is free to not pick up anyone at the airport.

VS4ever

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 pm

iyerhari wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
The difference from Watertown will become negligible. In fact, sometimes Lyft/Uber is more expensive than a cab already.

There's am easy way around that, that I bet will become more popular. Take a rideshare to/from the airport T stop on the East Boston side do you don't have to pay the airport fees then hop on the free shuttle bus to/from the terminals.

It is almost at-par from Watertown. There is a difference based on the peak fare rates that Uber charges. Uber arrivals at Logan is a complete mess - it takes anytime from 20 to 45 mins. and exiting the airport using the Uber way takes eternity. Taxi lines tend to be far shorter vs. Uber. This is not the case with Logan - even mighty ORD is similar. It takes anywhere from10-25 mins. at ORD on a Monday am peak hour and sometimes that is also not guaranteed. Taxi lines in contrast at ORD is mostly empty.

At Logan I believe the biggest bottleneck is Terminal C. Curbside drop-offs are tight in that terminal and that is where all the traffic jam starts. A and E IMO are the best. B is slightly better but C is the absolute worst. Incidentally, C and E share the same rideshare pickup. IMO, Central parking will be a complete disaster. As-Is, Central parking takes a longtime to park your car and then if you are going to add the whole mutiny of Uber pickups/drop-offs would be a complete disaster. But I think Massport does not have a solution for this - at one step they are faced with a large number of cars entering/exiting the airport and the other side they are possibly facing the wrath of Winthrop/E Boston residents.

I agree with all of this, one thing I will add, there's a very good reason why the taxi lines at ORD are empty, it's because they charge fare and a half to go anywhere half decent, it's ridiculously expensive.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

jworks158

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:03 pm

FYI the BOAC bird is currently scheduled to make a return on sunday.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

tlecam

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:45 pm

Kind of reminds me of PHL a bit, excep that it’s not just ride share - it’s ride share, taxi , SEPTA, everything.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

33lspotter

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:06 am

jworks158 wrote:

BA has a tendency to swap around planes (as least as far as those listed for a given flight on FR24) so I would check the morning of to be sure! I did see that you said currently scheduled but just saying I have seen them in particular swap a number of times...I was flying LHR-BOS two years ago and was scheduled to be on one of the G-CIV* birds up to about 3 hours before I believe, but ended up on G-BYGD for a second time (it was my first 747 flight back in November 2014).

VS4ever

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:45 am

So it appears from the Avianca thread that BOS is going to lose both BOG and SAL routes from May 1st.
I wonder (on the inside) if B6 might think about taking on BOG instead? Like they did MEX?
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

dtremit

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:03 am

VS4ever wrote:
So it appears from the Avianca thread that BOS is going to lose both BOG and SAL routes from May 1st.
I wonder (on the inside) if B6 might think about taking on BOG instead? Like they did MEX?

B6 started BOS-MEX before AM dropped it, so I'm not sure it's quite comparable.

That said, they do serve BOG from MCO and FLL, and have a partnership in place with AV. I'm guessing the biggest issue would be aircraft availability.

dtremit

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 am

VS4ever wrote:
I agree with all of this, one thing I will add, there's a very good reason why the taxi lines at ORD are empty, it's because they charge fare and a half to go anywhere half decent, it's ridiculously expensive.

Taxis *from* Logan are similarly expensive -- easily double the cost of a Lyft or Uber if there's no surge in place. And when there is a surge, there usually are no taxis available.

EK77WNH

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:14 am

With so much angst and turmoil in South America, I’m actually surprised that the region hit almost 80% for Boston. Lots of people are simply afraid to go there. I know some countries are better than others, but the whole continent suffers from a great malaise it seems.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

tjerome

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:10 am

airbazar wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Yup.I think Uber/Lyft should be treated just like taxis. They should be allowed to drop off passengers at the curb just like taxis can, and those that want to pickup pax should have wait in a holding area and leave in a FIFO sequence. Just like in a taxi, instead of calling for a Uber/Lyft, you go to the curb and get into the fist one in line just like how taxis work. Any Uber/Lyft driver that doesn't want this model is free to not pick up anyone at the airport.

There's a difference between dropping off in Medford vs. dropping off in Salem though. I like your thought process, a FIFO system would work better but some rideshare drivers may not want to be making certain longer trips.

MAH4546

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:13 am

VS4ever wrote:

What for? There’s no local market. AV had connections.
a.

tphuang

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 am

MAH4546 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

You can say the same about BOS-MEX. The two markets are pretty similar imo. Required a lot of connection traffic at MEX/BOG to work.

BOS-BOG is not a market you can do with standard A320, so they'd have to put a A321NEO on there. 200 seats is a lot to fill. I think it could work on sub daily service if they can pull in enough connection traffic from Europe or middle east. Wouldn't be high on their priority list though.

airbazar

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:02 pm

tphuang wrote:
BOS-BOG is not a market you can do with standard A320, so they'd have to put a A321NEO on there. 200 seats is a lot to fill. I think it could work on sub daily service if they can pull in enough connection traffic from Europe or middle east. Wouldn't be high on their priority list though.

I don't know if an A321NEO could do it. A MINT NEO probably could. An A320NEO probably could too but I think this is a route where the A220 can excel.
The problem is BOG is at over 8,300ft of altitude. That's why AV flies the route to both JFK and BOS with and A319 (and 787 in the case of JFK).

adamh8297

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

If anything happens CM goes from 11 to 14 weekly at some point.

This is similar to the AM issues which resulted in cutting the longest/thinnest routes.

MDE was the VFR Colombian market from BOS too. It's just as easy to connect through PTY or MIA to get there.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

dtremit

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:43 pm

tjerome wrote:
airbazar wrote:

There's a difference between dropping off in Medford vs. dropping off in Salem though. I like your thought process, a FIFO system would work better but some rideshare drivers may not want to be making certain longer trips.

In most cases rideshare drivers can't see the destination before they accept a trip -- apparently a few Lyft drivers can but it's a reward for high accept rates.

One of the articles I saw about this suggested that Massport was claiming FIFO-type passenger matching as a benefit of the new systems -- but Uber was warning that its system won't work inside a garage.

jworks158

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 pm

El Al Filed it's first 788 routes today, with Boston being the second. "Tel Aviv – Boston eff 15DEC19 3 weekly (until 29MAR19)"
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -nov-2019/
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)

pitbosflyer

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:46 am

jworks158 wrote:
El Al Filed it's first 788 routes today, with Boston being the second. "Tel Aviv – Boston eff 15DEC19 3 weekly (until 29MAR19)"

That's a very nice upgrade. Their dreamliner product is such a step up for all classes. Competitive with all the other middle Eastern carriers.

Supersarestupid

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:42 am

jworks158 wrote:

I'm a controller at BOS ATC, and realistically I hope we never see 3 A380s here at the same time, hence my IG handle. The taxiway and runway restrictions of the big bus cause significant interruptions to otherwise routine traffic and unnecessary delays. I get that it's a novelty for passengers, but these airports weren't made for it. Otherwise, I'm excited about the growth at BOS, though as they maximize gate spacing around the perimeter (Term B construction for WN move/DL Term A takeover), there's potentially issues similar to B6, where they schedule too many aircraft trying to push from and get into the same alley at the exact same time.

As to BOAC, she was here indeed. I grabbed a few photos from the gate and lounge area. IG @supersarestupid

OneX123

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:19 am

dtremit wrote:
tjerome wrote:
airbazar wrote:

In most cases rideshare drivers can't see the destination before they accept a trip -- apparently a few Lyft drivers can but it's a reward for high accept rates.

One of the articles I saw about this suggested that Massport was claiming FIFO-type passenger matching as a benefit of the new systems -- but Uber was warning that its system won't work inside a garage.

This has less to do with this specific post and more to do with the general discussion about the difficulties to get to Logan. I am originally from Boston but am now based out of Chicago. I fly weekly and while I understand Logan is a lot closer to the downtown than O'Hare I still don't find Logan to be all that bad. Traffic in the tunnels can be poor, sure, but trying to get in and out of O'Hare, even on a sunday or during off hours is a mess. Picking up a ride-share at Logan is tough, but atleast you don't stand outside for 30 minutes as your uber remains '5' minutes away in the app. And the Chicago Blue Line is located centrally within the airport but the walk is often long, especially from T1 and T3 and you're often left sitting on the thing for 10 or so minutes before it departs. I'm not saying boston doesn't have it's issues, but when I'm in boston I'm on the south shore and I personally don't find it to be too bad.

Now trying to get in and out of the Terminal B horseshoe is a whole nother story.....

VS4ever

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Just boarded one of the refurbed B6 320’s N529JB, certainly looks a whole lot better, full flight , we will see how this goes B6 861 to SJU.

airbazar

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:54 pm

jworks158 wrote:

More problems for terminal E? The 787 is Code E while the 777 and 767 are code D. Weren't they using gate E2 or E3? Are those code E gates?

Jouhou

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:54 pm

airbazar wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

More problems for terminal E? The 787 is Code E while the 777 and 767 are code D. Weren't they using gate E2 or E3? Are those code E gates?

What? The 777 has a slightly larger wingspan than a 787...

airbazar

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Jouhou wrote:
airbazar wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

What? The 777 has a slightly larger wingspan than a 787...

Oops my bad. You're right.

VS4ever

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Just boarded one of the refurbed B6 320’s N529JB, certainly looks a whole lot better, full flight , we will see how this goes B6 861 to SJU.

Ok I know quoting yourself is like talking In the 3rd person but suffice to say a pleasant trip down, although more than 4 hours on those seats is not going to be very nice I will be honest
That said the cabin crew I had were excited about flying the refurb plane and seemed in good moods contrary to reports elsewhere
However not to share too much, but you have to be 150lbs wet in order to use the new lavs. I am not that and it was definitely a small space.

Enough of the trip report, did get to spot the TAM arrival, and Copa/ BA morning departures and let’s remmber KLM and Norwegian FCO start next weekend

Dieuwer

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 pm

"150lb wet"? Are you peeing in your pants??

VS4ever

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Ha, if that’s all you got from that, I got an AA spaceflex bathroom for you.

Dieuwer

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:51 am

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Sorry, but I don't get it.

Jouhou

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:19 am

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Is it as small as the AA lavatories?

FGITD

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:42 am

airbazar wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

El Al has been at E6 since a few months prior to the change to 772.

Few fun things going on at E. Gate E4 will be out of service for a few weeks which will be a nice run in to the summer schedule. Saw the full summer plan today as well. Going to be hectic, very tight, and there will be a few carriers who are going to become extremely familiar with Massport busses.

33lspotter

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Supersarestupid wrote:
I'm a controller at BOS ATC, and realistically I hope we never see 3 A380s here at the same time, hence my IG handle. The taxiway and runway restrictions of the big bus cause significant interruptions to otherwise routine traffic and unnecessary delays. I get that it's a novelty for passengers, but these airports weren't made for it.

From the outside of the tower it certainly seems that way. I flew on G-XLEB BOS-LHR the first spring it was here (2017) and I remember being confused as to why we had to wait 15-20 minutes in position on 15R before we started our takeoff roll. Then I thought more about it and (I believe you all had arrivals going to 4R and 4L with departures from 9) I thought "man, must be hard to find a window between the arrivals and other departures." I saw similar occurrences on a number of other A380 departure days as well, as it seems 15R gets used pretty much every time for A380 takeoffs, the exception being when 27 arrivals/33L departures are in use and necessitate a taxi out to the far end of the field. Someone else opined that it might be BA trying to stay aligned with their slot arrival time (and so waiting on 15R was their prerogative) but it seemed to me more of an ATC thing that was/is unavoidable. Would be curious to get your insight.

EK77WNH

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Also, it could be the arrival slot at LHR. The winds might have been very favorable, which would have put the flight into LHR before they were ready to take it.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

33lspotter

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Also, it could be the arrival slot at LHR. The winds might have been very favorable, which would have put the flight into LHR before they were ready to take it.

Yeah, I mentioned that as a possibility, but this seemed to happen on a weekly basis. Surely the winds aren’t that favorable (versus planned times) all spring and summer?

jworks158

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:20 am

The BA negus special is inbound as BA239 it arrives at 10:49pm. It will be leaving at 8:30am tomorrow (3/28/19) as Ba 238. Not sure why they sent it today instead of a 777-200. This plane wasn't scheduled to be flying anywhere today, so it was a last minute schedule change.

VS4ever

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:25 am

jworks158 wrote:
The BA negus special is inbound as BA239 it arrives at 10:49pm. It will be leaving at 8:30am tomorrow (3/28/19) as Ba 238. Not sure why they sent it today instead of a 777-200. This plane wasn't scheduled to be flying anywhere today, so it was a last minute schedule change.

ooh i might just get to see that if i am lucky, I am supposed to get back from SJU at 6.30am, so might be able to catch a glimpse of it on my way out,

Jouhou

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:43 am

jworks158 wrote:

Well, if you were looking for a message board with a high concentration of airline employees, this might be a good place to look. I'd suspect someone with some decision making capability within BA saw the user a few pages back lamenting the lack of BA retro livery showing up in BOS with the subsequent discussion about it... It'd be a good use of the specific aircraft to send them here when they know there's people who are actually excited to see them here. That's what the liveries are for, aren't they? Positive PR.

Or could be a coincidence, but it's a nice thought to think that maybe someone's doing something nice to fulfill wishes.

VS4ever

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

VS4ever wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

ooh i might just get to see that if i am lucky, I am supposed to get back from SJU at 6.30am, so might be able to catch a glimpse of it on my way out,

And I did, what a wonderful sight that was, sadly couldn’t get a pic of it, but it’s there in all it’s glory. Nice way to end a North/South redeye experiment

PVDspotting

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:55 am

Jouhou wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

Well, if you were looking for a message board with a high concentration of airline employees, this might be a good place to look. I'd suspect someone with some decision making capability within BA saw the user a few pages back lamenting the lack of BA retro livery showing up in BOS with the subsequent discussion about it... It'd be a good use of the specific aircraft to send them here when they know there's people who are actually excited to see them here. That's what the liveries are for, aren't they? Positive PR.

Or could be a coincidence, but it's a nice thought to think that maybe someone's doing something nice to fulfill wishes.

Well if any of them are reading this, please send Landor either Saturday or Sunday please! Lol

aaflyer777

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Appears WW is done, anyone see FI adding a third flight or DL jumping on BOS-KEF? I know FI eliminated that third bank so that makes them less likely but seems like the kind of route DL would be interested in

kavok

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:52 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
Appears WW is done, anyone see FI adding a third flight or DL jumping on BOS-KEF? I know FI eliminated that third bank so that makes them less likely but seems like the kind of route DL would be interested in

I doubt FI adds a third flight, for the reasons you mentioned. Though I would have to believe FI will look closely at the more successful WW routes when considering any addition/expansion. If anything, FI will likely use the WW demise to raise prices slightly on their existing BOS flights due to competition going away.

As for DL: I think with FI having two BOS flights and the size of the BOS market, I think it is safe to say FI isn’t going anywhere. DL knows that, and thus DL adding BOS-KEF also isn’t going to drive away FI from BOS. If anything, FI would remain and substantially eat away DL profits on a hypothetical DL BOS-KEF. DL did however add a MSP-KEF flight a few years back, but I have always suspected that route was launched as a failed attempt by DL to drive FI from the MSP market, which again wouldn’t happen in BOS.

tlecam

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Delta added some seasonal flying to KEF, but I also wouldn't bet on it. I view DL to KEF in a similar way that I view DL to DUB, which the main difference being that KEF is a smaller market.

In any event, here's a WBZ report of the WOW passengers stranded at BOS. https://twitter.com/AnnaMeiler/status/1 ... 1468732416
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

airbazar

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:42 pm

I'm in the camp that believes it's very likely that FI will add a 3rd frequency. A huge percent of their passengers take advantage of the stopover so the connecting banks are irrelevant. Also, IIRC BOS is their largest market. Adding a 3rd frequency should be a no-brainer.

Blueknows

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 pm

B6 BOS-kEF???

33lspotter

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:06 pm

airbazar wrote:
I'm in the camp that believes it's very likely that FI will add a 3rd frequency. A huge percent of their passengers take advantage of the stopover so the connecting banks are irrelevant. Also, IIRC BOS is their largest market. Adding a 3rd frequency should be a no-brainer.

Pretty sure FI flew 3x/day back in summer of 15...then again I believe it was 3x752. But with WOW gone they may even be able to fly a mix of 752/763s.

Dieuwer

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 pm

If FI will add 3rd daily, it should be a daytime flight BOS-KEF.

VS4ever

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

If I recall when it was 3x daily, the 3rd flight was a daytime flight anyway, so that's not too much of a stretch should they decide to increase their capacity and have the slack in the fleet to do it. FI definitely have to have some interesting S19 conversations, because with WW's demise that market is still there, it's just how you capture it at the expense of the other options. Clearly they are not going to get 100% of WW's customers, but they have a short time to try and capitalize on the situation.

Dieuwer

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

If I recall when it was 3x daily, the 3rd flight was a daytime flight anyway, so that's not too much of a stretch should they decide to increase their capacity and have the slack in the fleet to do it. FI definitely have to have some interesting S19 conversations, because with WW's demise that market is still there, it's just how you capture it at the expense of the other options. Clearly they are not going to get 100% of WW's customers, but they have a short time to try and capitalize on the situation.

What type of customer was WOW addressing? If it is the ultra-cheapo "I Want To Visit Europe for $1" then that business model has clearly proven to be unsustainable (WOW, Primera, Monarch, etc.).

VS4ever

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

What type of customer was WOW addressing? If it is the ultra-cheapo "I Want To Visit Europe for $1" then that business model has clearly proven to be unsustainable (WOW, Primera, Monarch, etc.).

True, but they had 3.5m pax last year, those folks are still a market to address, they just won't be getting the ultra low fares that WW were offering. FI are not crazy enough to go down that rabbit hole, but either way those are potential customers and it would be in FI's interests to try and address at least a portion of those customers, to avoid them being snapped up by the competition of Non-stops.

Dieuwer

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:54 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

True, but they had 3.5m pax last year, those folks are still a market to address, they just won't be getting the ultra low fares that WW were offering. FI are not crazy enough to go down that rabbit hole, but either way those are potential customers and it would be in FI's interests to try and address at least a portion of those customers, to avoid them being snapped up by the competition of Non-stops.

Unless those folks ONLY are able/want to fly if the fare is "$1"...
If you can stimulate demand with low fares, you can also DESTIMULATE demand with high(er) fares.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos