VS4ever

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:58 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
Logan just announced that sun country will be moving to terminal E on Monday 4/8 https://twitter.com/BostonLogan/status/ ... 3934995456

Did they have a dedicated gate in C? Or did they share a gate. For only one flight a day, if they had a dedicated gate....I'd say the move makes sense. B6 can do alot more with that extra gate.

No, they shared C40-C42 with AS, Massport never did officially give them a gate in B the original plan was to share an AA one, but I guess not and now the move to E which in conjunction with their reduction in frequency makes sense
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

praunda

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 am

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen it, but given the increasing capacity constraints at Terminal E, has there ever been any contemplation at Massport or from the airlines of adding CBP facilities at other terminals? I'm thinking especially of A (could receive Delta's increasing numbers of Intl Arrivals and increasing numbers of other Skyteam Members) and C (B6 growing intl arrivals, as well as TP etc). Obviously a major hurdle would be the physical availability of sufficient space for customs itself, as well as budget, but nonetheless I would think that given all the Intl growth and the burgeoning need to park aircraft at E and in B6 and DL's cases especially, tow them around to their home terminals, I can't be the first person to think of it.

VS4ever

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:15 am

praunda wrote:
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen it, but given the increasing capacity constraints at Terminal E, has there ever been any contemplation at Massport or from the airlines of adding CBP facilities at other terminals? I'm thinking especially of A (could receive Delta's increasing numbers of Intl Arrivals and increasing numbers of other Skyteam Members) and C (B6 growing intl arrivals, as well as TP etc). Obviously a major hurdle would be the physical availability of sufficient space for customs itself, as well as budget, but nonetheless I would think that given all the Intl growth and the burgeoning need to park aircraft at E and in B6 and DL's cases especially, tow them around to their home terminals, I can't be the first person to think of it.

Sadly this has been discussed a number of times and you have partially hit the nail on the head with the space constraints in other terminals. A would be the prime candidate but would need a redesign of significant proportions to accommodate the CBP needs for about what 7 flights a day at peak (LIS, EDI, LHR, AMSx 2 and CDG) with the odd Caribbean flight for good measure to make #7 on average, you could make the argument that if A did have it, you could also pull AF x2, AZ , KL and KE over to make a decent number overall, then it becomes a gate space issue in A, as 330’s can only park in so many spots and DL is trying to ramp up its Domestic operation too at the same time.

Then we turn to C, nowhere to really put a sterile area without a fundamental redesign of the terminal space (some would argue it needs it anyway), it would also potentially limit gate flexibility for B6 and they need every space they can get for their future growth, given the number of passport destinations for B6, right now C40-C42 would be the smartest place to put it, but again it’s a space issue. However even that theory goes away when the B-C connector is completed and C43 comes along with the linkage to B as well.

Even if you could fix all of that, which last time I saw was not on Massport’s radar until at least FY22 or 23, it then becomes an issue of CBP staffing and whether these extra areas could be staffed properly by the Gov’t. Given some of the past challenges BOS has had with CBP, not sure I’m convinced it would happen

I think most of us on this thread would agree, if you could figure it out, Having a section in A for DL and friends would be the best option to pull their flights out of E and create more space for other airlines , but alas not.

Oh and one more thing, let’s remember if I recall correctly that the 7 gate expansion of E that’s coming (or 14 if all NB’s) is coming with a re-design Of the CBP space too so that will negate some of the pressure.

So to answer your question, makes sense but for the foreseeable future, not likely to happen.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

VS4ever

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:24 am

Kind of related question to my post above. I can’t remember if I had asked this before, and if I did I apologize, my 46 year old brain can only take so much these days.
Can A9 take a WB without blocking 8 or 10 and or access to B1-3? It looks like it can from google maps in theory but I suspect those in the know can put me right

FGITD

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:58 am

Massport has historically really wanted to consolidate all international carriers into just terminal E. I think they like the concept of an international terminal run by themselves vs spread out.

Terminal A would be the ideal choice, but there's no way DL would want it. Forget all of skyteam, just the AFKL operation alone would block up their terminal for half the day midsummer. Likewise, American and terminal B definitely don't need BA taking space all day.

And as mentioned, they could build whatever they want, prepare however they want, but at the end of the day, it's CBP's decision on how to staff.

dtremit

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:09 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Then we turn to C, nowhere to really put a sterile area without a fundamental redesign of the terminal space (some would argue it needs it anyway), it would also potentially limit gate flexibility for B6 and they need every space they can get for their future growth, given the number of passport destinations for B6, right now C40-C42 would be the smartest place to put it, but again it’s a space issue. However even that theory goes away when the B-C connector is completed and C43 comes along with the linkage to B as well.

When they built the C-E connector, did they provide a sterile corridor for gates C8-C10 to connect to CBP in E?

If the corridor goes that far, it might be possible to route passengers from the low-C pier to it with some creativity -- maybe even a secure corridor on an upper level, similar to what they've done with clubs in Terminal B.

Realistically, both of the T-shaped piers in terminal C need to be razed and rebuilt, but given how high gate utilization is, I have trouble ever seeing them do that.

Alternately, I wonder if some key gates could be equipped with FRA-style jetbridge towers allowing arriving passengers to walk downstairs to a bus to CBP in E?

aaflyer777

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:28 pm

And the DL/VS transatlantic adds keep coming, VS to launch BOS-LGW in 2020!

https://news.delta.com/new-paths-across ... k-jfk-2020

Dieuwer

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:33 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:

Their undercover agent at B6 must have informed them that B6 would announce this route shortly.... Better be the first! :D

NickolayAv

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:02 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:

With this addition and possible JetBlue entrance to the market, we could be seeing BOS with 10-11 flights to London daily in the near future. Impressive!
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

VS4ever

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

Their undercover agent at B6 must have informed them that B6 would announce this route shortly.... Better be the first! :D

While that is a natural assumption and probably true, it's not the only rationale, if you have been watching the load numbers I've been sending out for BOS-LGW on DY, those flights are ostensibly full on a daily basis and as DY is not really in a position to expand it's frequency right now, and B6 hasn't announced yet, DL has taken the opportunity to dive in and grab some of the market, this is exactly what they did with EI and the DUB route, if you look on the metrics of that DL have expanded the market, not taken it from EI overall and I suspect it will be the same on the LIS route when they start that as seasonal. LGW is the red headed step child and is often overlooked and it's nice to see attention being paid to it. Sure the majority of the premium traffic goes to LHR and always will, but while LGW has built its size on bucket and spade routes to Europe, it actually runs more pax than BOS on a single runway and in the Surrey/Sussex/Kent area, there are lots of affluent people who may prefer not schlepping up to LHR around the good ole M25. I remember the days when VS flew LGW-SFO, even took it once.

It is clear that DL has a plan for VS and while I make no bones about it that I am a huge B6 fan (although my username says otherwise, as I created it 15 years ago when i had hardly heard of B6) I am delighted for this new route and for VS in general. Right now, it's DY that need to be watching their backs, not B6...

I assume this is meant to be Year Round, I don't see anything that says otherwise.

airbazar

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:10 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Oh and one more thing, let’s remember if I recall correctly that the 7 gate expansion of E that’s coming (or 14 if all NB’s) is coming with a re-design Of the CBP space too so that will negate some of the pressure.

So to answer your question, makes sense but for the foreseeable future, not likely to happen.

I don't think there is a cost-benefit analysis that would make another CBP facility viable at BOS.
As it is B6 already uses gates C5,6,7 which are terminal E gates (E1,2,3) so there will be no need to build a CBP facility at terminal C. It would be easier and cheaper to just build a sterile corridor from those gates for arriving flights and I'm convinced that will happen sooner or later. In fact I was a little surprised that they didn't incorporate that when they built out that area. Or maybe they did and I'm just not that familiar with it.
As for terminal A, the only possibility would be with a major expansion of the terminal toward the cargo area/rwy 14/32 but I don't really see that happening.
NickolayAv wrote:
With this addition and possible JetBlue entrance to the market, we could be seeing BOS with 10-11 flights to London daily in the near future. Impressive!

That's assuming DY survives.
I too am in the camp that this will have a greater impact on DY than on B6, if they ever decide to enter the market.
But I'm also not convinced this will be a slam dunk for DL either. DL has been running relatively poor LF's on the LHR route for years and the consensus has been that the front cabin carries the route. Will there be the same type of front cabin demand to/from LGW? Can DL sustain this flight with a half empty front cabin?

Dieuwer

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

While that is a natural assumption and probably true, it's not the only rationale, if you have been watching the load numbers I've been sending out for BOS-LGW on DY, those flights are ostensibly full on a daily basis and as DY is not really in a position to expand it's frequency right now, and B6 hasn't announced yet, DL has taken the opportunity to dive in and grab some of the market, this is exactly what they did with EI and the DUB route, if you look on the metrics of that DL have expanded the market, not taken it from EI overall and I suspect it will be the same on the LIS route when they start that as seasonal. LGW is the red headed step child and is often overlooked and it's nice to see attention being paid to it. Sure the majority of the premium traffic goes to LHR and always will, but while LGW has built its size on bucket and spade routes to Europe, it actually runs more pax than BOS on a single runway and in the Surrey/Sussex/Kent area, there are lots of affluent people who may prefer not schlepping up to LHR around the good ole M25. I remember the days when VS flew LGW-SFO, even took it once.

That's not how it works.
JFK-LGW on DY is also full, but BA is running low loads on the same route.
So why would DL be different? It is not an automatic given that since DY get full loads on BOS-LGW, DL must too.

POST HOC ERGO PROPTER HOC.

VS4ever

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

That's not how it works.
JFK-LGW on DY is also full, but BA is running low loads on the same route.
So why would DL be different? It is not an automatic given that since DY get full loads on BOS-LGW, DL must too.

POST HOC ERGO PROPTER HOC.

Dude, read what I said, I did not say DL would get full loads, I said they are capitalizing on DY’s inability to add more capacity and B6 not being there yet, to expand the market and provide an offering. Even 2 passengers extra if DY is full is expanding the market albeit that would not be profitable I know very well that DL/VS are not guaranteed of anything but VS have the advantage of UK POS in this which will help drum up business. But no way I am saying they are going to knock it out of the park from day one. I am just delighted that finally LGW is getting some extra love.

N717TW

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

So I got the email from Delta this morning. It seems to be VS is operating but wasn't 100% clear. Is that how people read it too?

airbazar

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:51 pm

DL culdn't make 2x daily BOS-LHR work and now we're supposed to believe BOS-LGW will work? Right
Seems to me someone is running scared of what might be happening.

pitbosflyer

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:59 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:

Am I reading this correctly? But are they saying that the new refreshed Delta One Seats are coming to BOS-LHR in November????

Delta is also enhancing its aircraft on all flights between London-Heathrow and both Boston and JFK. Beginning this week, Delta flights between Boston and London-Heathrow will operate on an Airbus A330-200, which already serves Delta's JFK-Heathrow flights and features additional premium seats. And in November 2019, the airline will introduce on these routes fully refurbished Boeing 767-400s, featuring a modern interior and all four branded seat products – including a more private Delta One experience, Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin – to give customers greater choice when they travel."

The refurbished 767-400s are basically the Delta One suites without the doors. They are going all in, if this is true. Trying to up the quality to better compete with Mint it seems.

jworks158

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:09 pm

With the first Hawaiian flight due into BOS tomorrow at 5:15am, Hawaiian has announced that they will be hosting two events in Boston tomorrow one at Copley square from 11:30am-1pm, and another at Boston Commons from 1:30pm to 3pm. https://twitter.com/HawaiianAir/status/ ... 2974203906

The link in the tweet says
"Aloha Boston!
Come CeLEIbrate the launch of Hawaiian Airlines’ non-stop service to Hawai‘i from Logan International!
On Friday, April 5, join us first at Copley Square from 11:30 am – 1 pm, then at Boston Common (near Park Street Station) from 1:30 pm to 3 pm.
Attendees will enjoy authentic hula and live Hawaiian music, as well as giveaways – including trips to Hawai‘i! "
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

rnav2dlrey

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 pm

jworks158 wrote:
With the first Hawaiian flight due into BOS tomorrow at 5:15am, Hawaiian has announced that they will be hosting two events in Boston tomorrow one at Copley square from 11:30am-1pm, and another at Boston Commons from 1:30pm to 3pm. https://twitter.com/HawaiianAir/status/ ... 2974203906

"Aloha Boston!
Come CeLEIbrate the launch of Hawaiian Airlines’ non-stop service to Hawai‘i from Logan International!
On Friday, April 5, join us first at Copley Square from 11:30 am – 1 pm, then at Boston Common (near Park Street Station) from 1:30 pm to 3 pm.
Attendees will enjoy authentic hula and live Hawaiian music, as well as giveaways – including trips to Hawai‘i! "

if anyone here plans to attend, let us know. if i have a productive morning, i'll be there.

iyerhari

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 am

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/20 ... story.html

Globe also mentions the LGW addition to BOS thanks to DL (the 2nd largest carrier in BOS) through VS. It will be interesting to see the next round of adds from DL.

Dieuwer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 am

airbazar wrote:
DL culdn't make 2x daily BOS-LHR work and now we're supposed to believe BOS-LGW will work? Right

Referring to business class or economy?
I have been tracking biz fares BOS-LHR forever, but I almost never have seen anything less than $2800. Sure, when DL first started BOS-LHR there was a brief fare war with tickets priced at $1500 round trip, but recently? Nothing.

jworks158

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pm

jworks158 wrote:

"Aloha Boston!

Hawaiian Air issued a press release today: https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/releases/hawaiian-airlines-brings-aloha-to-boston?cid=sf210510346

One interesting bit "Prior to today, Boston was the largest U.S. market without nonstop service to Hawai‘i with some 250 people flying between eastern New England and the islands each way on any given day. Boston's renowned educational and medical facilities are among the many attractions drawing Hawai‘i travelers to the Bay State. The route generated about $79 million in ticket sales last year."

A few tweets/media from todays event that have surfaced!

@bostonlogan: A picture of a newly painted Hawaiian A330 At Terminal E this morning with the control tower in the background! https://twitter.com/BostonLogan/status/1114169594921521153

@Hawiianair: Some more pictures from the Inaugural! https://twitter.com/HawaiianAir/status/1114184445576216576
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)

Dieuwer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Looks like TAP pulled the plug on BOS-LIS and made it seasonal only.

ConnectAir

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 pm

@dieuwer, I just did a skim of the news and did not see any reference to that. Where did you see that it had gone seasonal?
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, DH8D, E145, E190

VS4ever

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:45 pm

ConnectAir wrote:
@dieuwer, I just did a skim of the news and did not see any reference to that. Where did you see that it had gone seasonal?

I haven't found any news, but a quick check of some bookings on google flights appears to show a lack of flights after November 6th, Thought it might be a schedule load, but JFK is shown after that date...
hmmm, curious.

Dieuwer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:49 pm

ConnectAir wrote:

TAP wiped out the calendar after November 1st.

tjerome

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Kind of related question to my post above. I can’t remember if I had asked this before, and if I did I apologize, my 46 year old brain can only take so much these days.
Can A9 take a WB without blocking 8 or 10 and or access to B1-3? It looks like it can from google maps in theory but I suspect those in the know can put me right

A9 does NOT fit even a 757, it only takes up to an A321.

A6A blocks A5 and takes a 757 or 767
A8A blocks A7 and takes a 757 or 767
A13 takes a 767 unrestricted
A14A blocks A15 and takes up to a 747
A16A blocks A15 and takes up to an A330
A14A and A16A do not interfere with each other
A19 will take up to a 767 unrestricted

VS4ever

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 pm

tjerome wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Thank you, appreciated, one question, I thought A13 because of it's far out location could take a 330 as well? I am pretty sure I've flown from there when i went to AMS on one. Also as a side note, when i left BOS for PHL yesterday, i actually noticed a DL aircraft, I've got to say it was also a 330, but I was on the aisle and didn't get a really good look at it, but it was parked in a Fed Ex space at South Cargo, does that happen a lot?

ConnectAir

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:22 pm

I just checked TAP's website, using November 20-29th as sample dates. I found a none-stop flight for $700 round trip, I also used a random date in December and got similar results. It looks like you found an error in google flights.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, DH8D, E145, E190

Dieuwer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 pm

ConnectAir wrote:
I just checked TAP's website, using November 20-29th as sample dates. I found a none-stop flight for $700 round trip, I also used a random date in December and got similar results. It looks like you found an error in google flights.

Looks like you're right. Google Flights messed up again. :roll:

VS4ever

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
ConnectAir wrote:

Not so sure, checked TAP’s website too, something is up, either it’s loaded wrong or something has definitely changed

airbazar

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
ConnectAir wrote:

Not so sure, checked TAP’s website too, something is up, either it’s loaded wrong or something has definitely changed

My guess is they are just going through a schedule update. This same thing happened a couple of years ago and it even made it into the "OAGChanges" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1367287

VS4ever

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:27 pm

airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

My guess is they are just going through a schedule update. This same thing happened a couple of years ago and it even made it into the "OAGChanges" thread.
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... &t=1367287

Yeah, something looked wierd with November, but dummy bookings on TAP’s website for the beginning of December shows continued service, at least 4 weekly for 1,3,5 and 7.

praunda

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 pm

VS4ever wrote:
praunda wrote:

Sadly this has been discussed a number of times and you have partially hit the nail on the head with the space constraints in other terminals. A would be the prime candidate but would need a redesign of significant proportions to accommodate the CBP needs for about what 7 flights a day at peak (LIS, EDI, LHR, AMSx 2 and CDG) with the odd Caribbean flight for good measure to make #7 on average, you could make the argument that if A did have it, you could also pull AF x2, AZ , KL and KE over to make a decent number overall, then it becomes a gate space issue in A, as 330’s can only park in so many spots and DL is trying to ramp up its Domestic operation too at the same time.

Even if you could fix all of that, which last time I saw was not on Massport’s radar until at least FY22 or 23, it then becomes an issue of CBP staffing and whether these extra areas could be staffed properly by the Gov’t. Given some of the past challenges BOS has had with CBP, not sure I’m convinced it would happen

I think most of us on this thread would agree, if you could figure it out, Having a section in A for DL and friends would be the best option to pull their flights out of E and create more space for other airlines , but alas not.

Thanks for the detailed response on this. I hadn't contemplated the inefficiency of widebodies occupying precious gate space for 3-5 hours in the afternoon/evening--in which case having them move off an E gate, sitting remotely, then getting towed over to A or C for departure is actually a problem-solver.

I had been remembering flying on the (sadly) short-lived Condor PVD-FRA flights (Summer 2015) and the CBP "facility" at TF Green is so cute, it is basically the size of an old movie theater ticket window, I was one of the 1st to go thru but as I recall there was one line to get to one agent, single file off the DE 763. I was really surprised how tiny it was, and made me realize that DHS/CBP will go for it, even at a small terminal for just one flight or two. Global Entry helps somewhat nowadays but the fundamentals of space still remain.

PVD757

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:33 pm

praunda wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
praunda wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response on this. I hadn't contemplated the inefficiency of widebodies occupying precious gate space for 3-5 hours in the afternoon/evening--in which case having them move off an E gate, sitting remotely, then getting towed over to A or C for departure is actually a problem-solver.

I had been remembering flying on the (sadly) short-lived Condor PVD-FRA flights (Summer 2015) and the CBP "facility" at TF Green is so cute, it is basically the size of an old movie theater ticket window, I was one of the 1st to go thru but as I recall there was one line to get to one agent, single file off the DE 763. I was really surprised how tiny it was, and made me realize that DHS/CBP will go for it, even at a small terminal for just one flight or two. Global Entry helps somewhat nowadays but the fundamentals of space still remain.

PVD did a complete redesign that opened in July 2017. It more than doubled the size of the facility and added APC kiosks, Global Entry kiosks and more CBP officer booths. This made a simple and easy process even better and far more efficient.

tjerome

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm

VS4ever wrote:
tjerome wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Thank you, appreciated, one question, I thought A13 because of it's far out location could take a 330 as well? I am pretty sure I've flown from there when i went to AMS on one. Also as a side note, when i left BOS for PHL yesterday, i actually noticed a DL aircraft, I've got to say it was also a 330, but I was on the aisle and didn't get a really good look at it, but it was parked in a Fed Ex space at South Cargo, does that happen a lot?

A13 does not fit an A330 at all, only up to a 767. Yes usually a widebody is put on one of the FedEx spots for a few hours before it needs to be brought up to the gate for the departure.

Dieuwer

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Holy Cow! Have you seen the AA cuts BOS-JFK in the new OAG list?? Total Implosion!

iyerhari

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Holy Cow! Have you seen the AA cuts BOS-JFK in the new OAG list?? Total Implosion!

If my memory serves right, BOS to JFK on AA two years back used to be only one late afternoon flight. AA does not anymore command the O&D travelers to JFK thanks to DL and B6 and there are not that many connection options available on AA or OW. Why bother to connect at JFK when there are direct nonstop options at BOS.

I believe it is in line with AA strategy to only connect to hubs and JFK looks to be a prime O&D destination. I am sure route planners at DL and B6 maybe happy to see all the recent AA retrenchments.

iyerhari

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 am

I am sure VS4ever and tphuang will get a kick out of this.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 343809002/

See the graphs at the end of the article. DL would have a field day if they entered routes such as SDF etc. we will come to know that a week or two early if b6 were to launch any route anyways :)

Curious question if anyone knows - how is the b6 BOS-MEX route working? That is probably few routes that b6 operates themselves after AM left the route.

ASA

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:23 am

Spend the whole day cleaning the yard today as the weather has warmed up substantially ... and what a treat watching the big birds coming in! I am on the North Shore (near the Beverly regional airport BVY) and the flight path was directly above us today.

HU 789 PVG
QR 359
IB 333
EK 77W
BA 388
HU 789 PEK
LH 346 FRA - when did they start sending a 346 on this route?
LH 359 MUC
JL 789

Overall - a great day for bird watching! Amazing how the new model birds have been replacing the old frames. But the biggest treat was the two Hainan 789 birds ... both had new colors and they looked great! The first one from PVG was all RED ... and the second one from PEK was all YELLOW. Both had some black writings on them, but I never saw these colors before.

FGITD

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:37 am

ASA wrote:
Spend the whole day cleaning the yard today as the weather has warmed up substantially ... and what a treat watching the big birds coming in! I am on the North Shore (near the Beverly regional airport BVY) and the flight path was directly above us today.

HU 789 PVG
QR 359
IB 333
EK 77W
BA 388
HU 789 PEK
LH 359 MUC
JL 789

Overall - a great day for bird watching! Amazing how the new model birds have been replacing the old frames. But the biggest treat was the two Hainan 789 birds ... both had new colors and they looked great! The first one from PVG was all RED ... and the second one from PEK was all YELLOW. Both had some black writings on them, but I never saw these colors before.

those Hainan planes are Kung Fu Panda liveries. I think they've got at least 3 or 4 of them flying around these days.

The LH 346 I was told is a temporary replacement for the usual 748.

The traditional mid afternoon lull at terminal E is well and truly gone. It's really non-stop starting at 1pm, and really doesn't let up until 11 or so.

Also worth noting TK cancelled all weekend while they move airports

gatibosgru

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:12 am

ASA wrote:
QR 359

Thought they had switched to the 77W? Or is this a one off swap?
@DadCelo

ASA

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:40 am

FGITD wrote:

those Hainan planes are Kung Fu Panda liveries. I think they've got at least 3 or 4 of them flying around these days.

Also worth noting TK cancelled all weekend while they move airports

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about those liveries ... they looked great! :thumbsup:
I was anticipating TK's arrival too ... didn't know the flight was cancelled this weekend.

gatibosgru wrote:
ASA wrote:
QR 359

Thought they had switched to the 77W? Or is this a one off swap?

FlightAware says 77W too ... but unless my eyes betrayed me completely, I sure saw a 359 :o

VS4ever

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 am

ASA wrote:

HU 789 PVG
QR 359
IB 333
EK 77W
BA 388
HU 789 PEK
LH 359 MUC
JL 789

Well hey neighbor, I live across the other side of Beverly:), bummed I missed all of that as I am currently down in PA on vacation. It’s interesting how they vary the flight paths slightly as often they come right over the top of us too, it’s been fun to read the Emirates logo underneath their 77W’s many a time..

iyerhari wrote:
I am sure VS4ever and tphuang will get a kick out of this.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 343809002/

See the graphs at the end of the article. DL would have a field day if they entered routes such as SDF etc. we will come to know that a week or two early if b6 were to launch any route anyways :)

Curious question if anyone knows - how is the b6 BOS-MEX route working? That is probably few routes that b6 operates themselves after AM left the route.

We will know more about BOS-MEX over the next 2 months. With the 6 month delay in international numbers from the T-100’s we should get October this month when it started and the first full month next month when November is released.
As for SDF, seems no matter how much money throw at it, nobody has made the move for them yet at BOS, it will, I am sure happen eventually, but so far nada...

EK77WNH

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 am

The QR flight back last night shows as 77W...A7-BEV. It’s still in the air now.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

airbazar

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:56 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

If my memory serves right, BOS to JFK on AA two years back used to be only one late afternoon flight. AA does not anymore command the O&D travelers to JFK thanks to DL and B6 and there are not that many connection options available on AA or OW. Why bother to connect at JFK when there are direct nonstop options at BOS.

I'd have to agree. I have a feeling that OW is eating everyone's lunch at BOS as far as international service goes: CX, JL, BA, IB, LA, QR. There's absolutely no need to travel via JFK. AA has the BOS-LGA shuttle for the O&D traffic.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm

airbazar wrote:

DL didn’t cancel the second flight because they couldn’t make 2x work, they cancelled it because they formed their partnership with VS and it effectively gave them a second BOS-LHR flight.

pitbosflyer

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

AA reductions are due to the runway maintenance work at JFK. AA specifically said that the cuts to BOS are temporary when explaining it to their flight attendants.

See here.
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1115068649553965056

Dieuwer

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:44 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

AA reductions are due to the runway maintenance work at JFK. AA specifically said that the cuts to BOS are temporary when explaining it to their flight attendants.

See here.

Excuses.
Delta and JetBlue are not cutting that much if anything.

pitbosflyer

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

See here.

Excuses.
Delta and JetBlue are not cutting that much if anything.

I agree it could be some sneaky cuts, but it also could just be the combo of the JFK runway work and the continuing strain on the network from missing the 737 Max.

jworks158

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 pm

FGITD wrote:
ASA wrote:
LH 359 MUC

The LH 346 I was told is a temporary replacement for the usual 748.

LH has been sending a whole conglomerate of different aircraft, as all winter the BOS-FRA route was supposed to be A346, but then they upgagued it to 744 in the middle of the season, on some days it was 748. Further more they didn't always send the A359 on BOS-MUC instead sending the A346.

Interestingly when the season shifted last week we were scheduled to lose the A359 on the LH BOS-MUC route. However that doesn't appear to be happening, instead they are sending A359/A346 on random days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos