clrd4t8koff

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 pm

ghoepers wrote:
Does anyone know how JJ GRU-BOS is going? it seems like Latin American people are avoiding this flight because of the hard US customs & border protection here in Boston. They are choosing to arrive in US via Miami or New York seems more easy ...

What is different arriving in the US via BOS versus JFK/EWR or MIA?

Jouhou

Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 pm

VS4ever wrote:
tlecam wrote:
More Delta expansion in the OAG thread, including 2x to Miami, starting in Jan.

DL BOS-FLL JAN 1.3>2[1.0] FEB 1.0>2[1.0]
DL BOS-MCO JAN 3>4[3] FEB 3>4[3]
**DL BOS-MIA DEC 0>0.7[0] JAN 0>2[0] FEB 0>2[0]
DL BOS-MSY FEB 0>0.2[0]
DL BOS-PBI DEC 0.3>0.7[0.4] JAN 1.0>2[1.0] FEB 1.0>2[1.0]
I said "added", but from weekends to daily is big.
*DL BOS-PUJ JAN 0.2>1.0[0.2] FEB 0.2>1.0[0.1]
DL BOS-RSW DEC 0.4>0.7[0.3] JAN 1.0>2[1.0] FEB 1.0>2[1.0]
**DL BOS-SRQ DEC 0>0.4[0] JAN 0>0.3[0] FEB 0>0.2[0]

DL are definitely going after B6 with most of these (the big exception is MIA, which B6 doesn't fly, albeit indirectly they are i suppose) but 2x daily to FLL, RSW and PBI along with MIA, extra MCO flying and SRQ added to the list for Florida and is obviously looking further at the Caribbean market with daily PUJ.

What we would need to dig into what the equipment on some of these is likely to be to truly see what the impact is.

Also these couple of interesting ones too,

AS just seem to be reversing out of BOS, I don't think they will ever disappear, but the reductions are quite telling
AS BOS-LAX SEP 1.9>1.0[2] OCT 1.8>1.0[1.8]

Interesting they are boosting this, especially in the later season, as a poster said implied, fares are good, so they have the option, why not..
B6 BOS-SAN SEP 2>3[2] OCT 2>3[2]

I love how airlines sell their mergers as being good for passengers and then remove ALL of the routes served by the smaller airline. It's almost like they only do it to kill off competition, not expand service and better serve customers, funny that.

ghoepers

Sun May 12, 2019 9:25 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
ghoepers wrote:
Does anyone know how JJ GRU-BOS is going? it seems like Latin American people are avoiding this flight because of the hard US customs & border protection here in Boston. They are choosing to arrive in US via Miami or New York seems more easy ...

A Latin friend of mine said that if you’re arriving here they make it difficult to go through customs, asking and questioning more than usual ... IDK if that’s true though ... it seems if you’re gonna cross the customs via MIA or JFK should be more easy and the customs guys are more friendly . Is that make any sense ?!
Hoepers

"It’s only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Boston,Massachusetts

ramzi

Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 pm

ghoepers wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
ghoepers wrote:

A Latin friend of mine said that if you’re arriving here they make it difficult to go through customs, asking and questioning more than usual ... IDK if that’s true though ... it seems if you’re gonna cross the customs via MIA or JFK should be more easy and the customs guys are more friendly . Is that make any sense ?!

The idea is that people believe CBP are 'tougher' at certain airports, which I've heard plenty. The reality is how much questioning one gets depends on the CBP officer at the desk and how tight their paperwork is, so these assumptions are more than often completely inapplicable. That being said, from what I've heard BOS is much friendlier than other ports of entry (particularly JFK) whatever that means. Its just hard to imagine someone with a valid visa being turned away, or someone without that being let in, and I doubt that changes from one airport to another. If they say Boston is much more crowded on arrival, particularly at peak times, then I would totally understand them wanting to arrive domestic and walk right out of the terminal.

Maybe the equipment used on other routes are much better than what JJ is offering on GRU-BOS.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

adamh8297

Sun May 12, 2019 11:14 pm

ramzi wrote:
ghoepers wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

The idea is that people believe CBP are 'tougher' at certain airports, which I've heard plenty. The reality is how much questioning one gets depends on the CBP officer at the desk and how tight their paperwork is, so these assumptions are more than often completely inapplicable. That being said, from what I've heard BOS is much friendlier than other ports of entry (particularly JFK) whatever that means. Its just hard to imagine someone with a valid visa being turned away, or someone without that being let in, and I doubt that changes from one airport to another. If they say Boston is much more crowded on arrival, particularly at peak times, then I would totally understand them wanting to arrive domestic and walk right out of the terminal.

Maybe the equipment used on other routes are much better than what JJ is offering on GRU-BOS.

GRU-BOS arrives at 8:30am an hour or so after the Dominican red-eyes and alongside a YTZ-BOS flight for PD which has a but under 100 pax. Unless staffing is horrible, crowded Immigration and CBP is not the issue.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

acavpics

Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 pm

I have a question regarding the overcrowding of the CBP facility in Terminal E:

Do you all remember when AA wanted to build an international arrivals facility in Terminal B back in the late 90's/early 200's? What specific area of the terminal would that have been built? I was thinking that if Terminal E's facility reaches its maximum capacity, then Massport could build a new one in Terminal B, if that space is still free.

From what I've read on this page, Terminals A and C don't have an appropriate layout that gives space for a CBP facility.

adamh8297

Mon May 13, 2019 3:22 am

I may have figured out the UP BOS-NAS flights.

Swift Air flew 3 734 flights today. Flightstats also list these flights as UP depatures

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-t ... =12&hour=0
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWQ ... /KBOS/MYNN

Would they be shuttling planes up to BOS for maintenance?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

ASA

Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 am

I didn't see anyone post this yet ...

BOS-CMN is bookable on Royal Air Maroc for this fall onwards ... so it's all GO?!! :bigthumbsup:

johhn14

Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 am

adamh8297 wrote:
I may have figured out the UP BOS-NAS flights.

Swift Air flew 3 734 flights today. Flightstats also list these flights as UP depatures

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-t ... =12&hour=0

Would they be shuttling planes up to BOS for maintenance?

I think they’re organized by one of the local colleges for graduation celebration / senior week type trips

B757rocket

Mon May 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Delta news release about additional flights:

https://news.delta.com/delta-brings-new ... mer-climes

EK77WNH

Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Many of the international services to Boston have either been upgraded in terms of aircraft size (QR, EK, El Al etc.) or frequency (Cathay, Hainan, TK, etc.). What about JAL? Are they at equilibrium BOS-NRT with their daily 787-9 or is there room to grow the service?
(Formerly ChrisNH)

jplatts

Mon May 13, 2019 2:37 pm

B757rocket wrote:
Delta news release about additional flights:

https://news.delta.com/delta-brings-new ... mer-climes

There are still some more nonstop routes such as BOS-DEN, BOS-DFW, BOS-CLT, BOS-IAH, BOS-SAN, BOS-PHX, BOS-PDX, BOS-STL, BOS-SAT, and BOS-SDF that could be added by DL out of BOS.

johhn14

Mon May 13, 2019 2:44 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Many of the international services to Boston have either been upgraded in terms of aircraft size (QR, EK, El Al etc.) or frequency (Cathay, Hainan, TK, etc.). What about JAL? Are they at equilibrium BOS-NRT with their daily 787-9 or is there room to grow the service?

I'm wondering if we might see a Haneda flight from a Japanese carrier (JAL or ANA) once they allocate their new slots. If I'm not mistaken we've seen the assignments from the American side, but Japanese are still pending.

EK77WNH

Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm

johhn14 wrote:
EK77WNH wrote:

I'm wondering if we might see a Haneda flight from a Japanese carrier (JAL or ANA) once they allocate their new slots. If I'm not mistaken we've seen the assignments from the American side, but Japanese are still pending.

BOS-HND on ANA seems like a 787 natural; they have 66 of them, split between -8s and -9s.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

airbazar

Mon May 13, 2019 4:44 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
ghoepers wrote:

Very different. From personal experience, Logan's CBP officers are, well Massholes :)
I've been a PR for nearly 25 years and I still get "special" treatment at BOS. Everywhere else in the country I'm always greeted with a smile and a "welcome back".
Funny thing is I got identical treatment in YYZ when I came in thru there the last time so I think it must be the weather :)

hinckley

Mon May 13, 2019 5:19 pm

acavpics wrote:
Do you all remember when AA wanted to build an international arrivals facility in Terminal B back in the late 90's/early 200's? What specific area of the terminal would that have been built? I was thinking that if Terminal E's facility reaches its maximum capacity, then Massport could build a new one in Terminal B, if that space is still free. From what I've read on this page, Terminals A and C don't have an appropriate layout that gives space for a CBP facility.

The conversation at the time (maybe limited to a.net) was about a CBP facility between B's two piers, in the area that was subsequently built out for UA. So that space no longer exists. And don't forget that at that time, AA flew to LHR up to four times a day as well as to CDG (maybe others?). Now, there are few or no international flights that start or end at B.

But none of that really matters. Massport has been laser-focused over the years that Terminal E is the one and only international terminal, and they're addressing the CBP overcrowding issue with the E expansion that's about ready to break ground.

EK77WNH

Mon May 13, 2019 6:21 pm

In a move right out of the Brad Marchand playbook, JetBlue is sending the new Bruins plane to...Raleigh this afternoon. :stirthepot: :lol: :hyper:

The route is only served by 190s otherwise.

Man, what a tweak.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

VS4ever

Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
In a move right out of the Brad Marchand playbook, JetBlue is sending the new Bruins plane to...Raleigh this afternoon. :stirthepot: :lol: :hyper:

Man, what a tweak.

Saw it this morning, sorry for the bad photo, but had to be quick and I guess the window tints did t help. This was arriving at C8

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EkMj8N ... p=drivesdk
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

B6BOSfan

Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 am

EK77WNH wrote:

Man, what a tweak.

They have no issues with doing it too. This is the same airline that had some fun with its extra flights to Atlanta for the Super Bowl.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/jetblue-ad ... a/25971753

"Hey New England – we just added a few more flights to Atlanta for the big game. More than 3. Fewer than 28," the airline said in a Tweet that is sure to rub some Falcons fans the wrong way. (PS: They even numbered one of the daily flights they added 2803)

AviationAddict

Tue May 14, 2019 1:23 am

B6BOSfan wrote:
EK77WNH wrote:

Man, what a tweak.

They have no issues with doing it too. This is the same airline that had some fun with its extra flights to Atlanta for the Super Bowl.

"Hey New England – we just added a few more flights to Atlanta for the big game. More than 3. Fewer than 28," the airline said in a Tweet that is sure to rub some Falcons fans the wrong way. (PS: They even numbered one of the daily flights they added 2803)

On the flip side every time I see the NY Jets plane at BOS I think to myself "wow JetBlue, do you even understand Boston?!"

B6BOSfan

Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 am

AviationAddict wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
EK77WNH wrote:

Man, what a tweak.

On the flip side every time I see the NY Jets plane at BOS I think to myself "wow JetBlue, do you even understand Boston?!"

I'd love to know how often that plane ends up in Boston. I feel like they do their best to keep it away. I managed to capture it landing and taking off one Saturday in its new livery and was happy -- considering the weird optics of it. Would love to capture the Boston planes in NYC the same way.

apodino

Tue May 14, 2019 2:27 am

hinckley wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Do you all remember when AA wanted to build an international arrivals facility in Terminal B back in the late 90's/early 200's? What specific area of the terminal would that have been built? I was thinking that if Terminal E's facility reaches its maximum capacity, then Massport could build a new one in Terminal B, if that space is still free. From what I've read on this page, Terminals A and C don't have an appropriate layout that gives space for a CBP facility.

The conversation at the time (maybe limited to a.net) was about a CBP facility between B's two piers, in the area that was subsequently built out for UA. So that space no longer exists. And don't forget that at that time, AA flew to LHR up to four times a day as well as to CDG (maybe others?). Now, there are few or no international flights that start or end at B.

But none of that really matters. Massport has been laser-focused over the years that Terminal E is the one and only international terminal, and they're addressing the CBP overcrowding issue with the E expansion that's about ready to break ground.

You are correct. At the time, not only American, but USAirways had some international operations and interestingly enough the two airlines were going to contribute to a joint FIS facility located about where the United gates are at now. 9-11 happened right before this would have been approved, and the project never came to fruition. Given the BA and IB joint ventures, the merger that ultimately happened between the two airlines, and the focus of current management, the likelihood of AA flying international on AA metal in the near future is non existent, and no other carrier in B is likely to want to fly anywhere international out of BOS that isn't already precleared (This includes WN who will be moving later this year from A).

The two carriers not in E who have an international presence and are likely to continue doing so are DL and B6. B6 is in a good spot because there are gates in E that can function as Terminal C gates as well, allowing B6 access to the Terminal E FIS without having to tow aircraft. So there is really no need for a C FIS either. That leaves DL. Also pre 9-11 the plan was that A would become the Skyteam terminal in BOS and the partner airlines would join them. This didn't happen, and due to the financial issues that 9-11 caused for DL and with financing the construction of A, DL had to scale back the plans for A, and Continental ended up joining them as well. (Interestingly enough, they were Skyteam at the time). They were able to grow somewhat into A when the NW merger happened. However, the UA/CO merger also happened, and DL had to wait for the Terminal B project to finish before getting the rest of A. Now Terminal A is sort of what DL envisioned originally but as I said the original plans were for all their partner airlines to join them. If there was a way for DL to make this happen, they probably would. One thing that has become obvious after the construction is that Widebodies affect gate capacity in A, and it would be logistically impossible for DL, AF, VS, KL, KE, and AZ to all operate from A. It just was not designed to handle that many widebodies, and this was realized after the terminal was built.

One other thing I wonder is how much of the international traffic in BOS is connecting, specifically on DL. If DL connects a lot of traffic to partner airlines in BOS, an additional issue is that A and E are not linked post security, and while Massport wants to remedy this, the remedy would be a long walk around the perimeter of B and C to get to E. To put this in comparison. Imagine the skylink in DFW was down and you had to get from A7 in Terminal A to D6 in terminal D for a connection by solely walking. That is what we are talking about here.

airbazar

Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 pm

apodino wrote:
One other thing I wonder is how much of the international traffic in BOS is connecting, specifically on DL. If DL connects a lot of traffic to partner airlines in BOS, an additional issue is that A and E are not linked post security, and while Massport wants to remedy this, the remedy would be a long walk around the perimeter of B and C to get to E. To put this in comparison. Imagine the skylink in DFW was down and you had to get from A7 in Terminal A to D6 in terminal D for a connection by solely walking. That is what we are talking about here.

This is somewhat alleviated by the fact that arriving intl passengers have to clear immigration and customs and therefore leave the secure area anyway, and the walk from E to A via the parking garage is somewhat short and on moving walkways. The other way around it impacts connections to their partners in in E but on the flip side it benefits DL and those passengers flying on DL metal. If like you say, DL connects a lot of traffic to partner airlines the simpler approach would be to run an air side shuttle bus between A and E as it is done at various airports.

RL757PVD

Tue May 14, 2019 12:39 pm

AviationAddict wrote:

I had that plane on PVD-MCO once.... the pilot apologized for the aircraft assignment but assured us the tires were fully inflated... a mixture of laughs and groans followed...
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Dieuwer

Tue May 14, 2019 1:54 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
AviationAddict wrote:

I had that plane on PVD-MCO once.... the pilot apologized for the aircraft assignment but assured us the tires were fully inflated... a mixture of laughs and groans followed...

Delta could use this to their advantage. Get some Red Sox deal signed and then slam JetBlue for being "tone deaf" to the Boston community.

pitbosflyer

Tue May 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
AviationAddict wrote:

Delta could use this to their advantage. Get some Red Sox deal signed and then slam JetBlue for being "tone deaf" to the Boston community.

Except JetBlue is the "Official Airline of the Boston Red Sox" already as well as the company with naming rights for their spring straining facility "JetBlue Park" also known as "Fenway South" or "Little Fenway".

But I do agree it would be fun if Delta tried to further embed themselves in different Boston cultural and sports things. I have noticed that Delta has been one of the main sponsors of the Boston Calling music festival the last few years.

airbazar

Tue May 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Speaking of air side terminal connections, does anyone know if the people mover that Logan is studying will be only land-side?
I believe are some airports where the same train serves pre and post security passengers by alternating the cars. For example in a 2-car train, car one's door opens to airside while car two's door opens to landside. This could be a great feature to have at Logan I think.

VS4ever

Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm

airbazar wrote:
Speaking of air side terminal connections, does anyone know if the people mover that Logan is studying will be only land-side?
I believe are some airports where the same train serves pre and post security passengers by alternating the cars. For example in a 2-car train, car one's door opens to airside while car two's door opens to landside. This could be a great feature to have at Logan I think.

The original briefing session https://www.massport.com/capitalprogram ... tation.pdf, did not state either way, but looking at the design, I am going to guess the answer to that is no, and the connectors are going to be the projects for airside terminal connections, but that would be a hell of a long walk around from A to E to avoid security screening round 2.

I would have to go back through the board presentations to see if anything else came about, but can't do that until later tonight.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

tlecam

Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm

I think it's only landside - similar to EWR and JFK.

Airside would be nice (especially for DL / SkyTeam), but probably prohibitively expensive.

Even with Delta's expansion at BOS, I still don't think it will ever be a connecting hub in the way that ATL/MSP/DTW/SLC are.

UA and AA have minimal connections (I'm guessing). B6 does have connections, but it's a reasonable walk. Although it can be a bit of a hike from the C30/31ish gates to C8 (or whatever they're numbering the gates in the old Terminal D these days)

Delta could launch the Logan jitney if they really want to provide airside connections. They'd still need to sort out the international arrivals to domestic departures CBP/Immigration flow.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

tlecam

Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Also, someone awhile back posted that Lucky's was boarded up - I hadn't seen that and now I'm depressed! Not sure what is going there instead.

I asked a few people and haven't really gotten an answer as to what is going in there.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

VS4ever

Tue May 14, 2019 6:42 pm

tlecam wrote:
I think it's only landside - similar to EWR and JFK.

Airside would be nice (especially for DL / SkyTeam), but probably prohibitively expensive.

Even with Delta's expansion at BOS, I still don't think it will ever be a connecting hub in the way that ATL/MSP/DTW/SLC are.

UA and AA have minimal connections (I'm guessing). B6 does have connections, but it's a reasonable walk. Although it can be a bit of a hike from the C30/31ish gates to C8 (or whatever they're numbering the gates in the old Terminal D these days)

C8 to C10 are the old Terminal D Gates
C5-C7 are E3 to E1 respectively and actually have dual signage now in Terminal E, as I saw this yesterday when departing from E1/C7, definitely a permanent fix, because the overhead signs are now split Purple for the E gates, Green for the C gate version. Also those gates now have dual monitors for the flight information colored in a similar fashion.
Yesterday, our plane was at E4 for it's arrival from a Caribbean redeye and was towed to E1/C7, but it's clear B6 has plenty of access to those gates, Departures I saw from C5-C7 were a mixture, Philadelphia, Las Vegas and our flight to SJU were all leaving from those gates. Agreed that it's a fair trek to C5 or the higher E gates from C31, it was pretty far from security alone. I really hope they can develop the rest of C into what they have done in the E and C to E connector, because it's sooooo much better than the old piers.

BOS isn't laid out to support a hub strategy, the amount of truly connecting pax per Massport isn't actually that many, it's in the 5% range, so unless that radically changes, I doubt they are going to make further investments outside of the stated plan to connect all the terminals airside. E to C is done. C to B is in the works and B to A is in the future master plan to the tune of about $60m (B to A only for the $60m)

airbazar

Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 pm

VS4ever wrote:
BOS isn't laid out to support a hub strategy, the amount of truly connecting pax per Massport isn't actually that many, it's in the 5% range, so unless that radically changes, I doubt they are going to make further investments outside of the stated plan to connect all the terminals airside. E to C is done. C to B is in the works and B to A is in the future master plan to the tune of about $60m (B to A only for the $60m)

But 5% of 40+ million is roughly 5,500 daily passengers. That's not a small amount anymore which is why Massport is investing massively to connect all terminals.

VS4ever

Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 pm

airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

But 5% of 40+ million is roughly 5,500 daily passengers. That's not a small amount anymore which is why Massport is investing massively to connect all terminals.

Agreed, they are willing to stump up to connect the terminals and that makes sense for a lot of reasons, but 5500 a day, doesn't warrant an airside tram system. that's about 300 an hour (if you take roughly a 18 hour regular day)

airbazar

Wed May 15, 2019 3:00 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Agreed, they are willing to stump up to connect the terminals and that makes sense for a lot of reasons, but 5500 a day, doesn't warrant an airside tram system. that's about 300 an hour (if you take roughly a 18 hour regular day)

It depends. A separate tram system, no but if it's the same exact infrastructure for both airside and landside like I was suggesting, then the additional costs might be justifiable.
Kinda like when the airport spends the money to build an upper deck bridge for only 1 or 2 daily A380 rotations, the cost is justified because the bridge can be lowered and used on single-deck airplanes too. Oh wait... :)

Also those 5500 are not really spread over the entire day. I suspect that the vast majority of connections at BOS occur during the afternoon/evening international rush as BOS is not really a good domestic hub. So somewhere between 1pm and 10pm.
There is another alternative that might not as expensive: a second bridge above the existing one thru the parking garage, connecting the post-security areas of terminal A and terminal E.

VS4ever

Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 am

Sitting in SJU for my red eye home, what better things do I have time to do but look at airlineroute and notice that BA is increasing service to BOS from 24 to 25 weekly in Winter 19 starts 10/27

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-15may19/

Now back to my nap because everything is closed here

pitbosflyer

Thu May 16, 2019 2:39 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Sitting in SJU for my red eye home, what better things do I have time to do but look at airlineroute and notice that BA is increasing service to BOS from 24 to 25 weekly in Winter 19 starts 10/27

Very interesting to see all the big players upping their game to LON recently. Between more frequencies and DL adding the 764 and LGW. For sure trying to steal B6s thunder and put them in the best place to try and squash them. Unfortunately for them I think B6 is going to do just fine.

EK77WNH

Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Very interesting to see all the big players upping their game to LON recently. Between more frequencies and DL adding the 764 and LGW. For sure trying to steal B6s thunder and put them in the best place to try and squash them. Unfortunately for them I think B6 is going to do just fine.

I think they'll do fine, too, irrespective of which 'London' airport they end up at. They have a hugely loyal base in Boston and the 'smallish' planes they'll use will be easy to fill at (for them) money-making prices.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

adamh8297

Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 pm

VS4ever wrote:

I had a 4 hour layover there once flying BOS-SJU-BON during NFL playoffs and there were only two restaurants and zero TV's and this was peak AA operation in SJU. This was before WiFi and smartphones were in their infancy.

VS4ever

Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

I had a 4 hour layover there once flying BOS-SJU-BON during NFL playoffs and there were only two restaurants and zero TV's and this was peak AA operation in SJU. This was before WiFi and smartphones were in their infancy.

They re-opened the convenience store, shortly after i wrote my post, but... still quiet, the excitement was seeing a team of people switch all the watches over at the concession stand in the middle of the concourse... and for OTP fans, we arrived 20 minutes early. (B6)

Dieuwer

Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I had a look at Christmas holidays fares to Mexico, and for whatever reason they are sky high compared to last season. Preliminary load factors seem also very good. I suppose the economy is doing great and everyone in the Boston area decided to go to Mexico this year??

EK77WNH

Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am

I saw that today’s Air France flight was operated by a 77W, and I figured that this was the beginning of their ‘summer season.’

Nope.

In fact, forward-looking schedules show a single 777-200 each day through the summer. So unless I’m missing something, AF is ditching the historically consistent summertime double-daily between BOS and CDG that we’ve seen for decades.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

ramzi

Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 am

EK77WNH wrote:
I saw that today’s Air France flight was operated by a 77W, and I figured that this was the beginning of their ‘summer season.’

Nope.

In fact, forward-looking schedules show a single 777-200 each day through the summer. So unless I’m missing something, AF is ditching the historically consistent summertime double-daily between BOS and CDG that we’ve seen for decades.

I noticed that too. Unfortunate. The first time I flew them from Boston it was on a 747, most recently I got the 789 with no first and 9-abreast in economy, followed by a 772 with 10-abreast on the way back.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

VS4ever

Fri May 17, 2019 1:23 am

EK77WNH wrote:

Nope.

sadly not true, i've just done dummy bookings on their site and they are running double daily at least in July, i am too tired to go and look too much further,
6.05pm departure and 10.10pm departure, both on 777-200's

2018 saw a fairly short season of mainly July and August for the double daily, looks like the same again this year

Jouhou

Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 am

Dieuwer wrote:
I had a look at Christmas holidays fares to Mexico, and for whatever reason they are sky high compared to last season. Preliminary load factors seem also very good. I suppose the economy is doing great and everyone in the Boston area decided to go to Mexico this year??

I find international fares to be insanely expensive if I ever attempt to book more than a couple of months in advance...

airbazar

Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I find international fares to be insanely expensive if I ever attempt to book more than a couple of months in advance...

It's xmas vacation. It's expensive no matter where you want to go. You can find decent fares to Europe sometimes because of all the competition and ease of self-connecting. I'd imagine that Mexico would be expensive because there really aren't that many options from Boston without a domestic connection which puts you in direct competition with everyone else flying for xmas break.

Having said that, for TATL fares at xmas I find that to find the best fares you either have to buy well in advance or just a couple of weeks from departure. At least twice before when we were not planning to go to Europe for xmas we changed our mind at the last minute when we found some incredibly cheap tickets. The last of which was just 2 years ago when VS was selling sub-$500 tickets to LHR.

Dieuwer

Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 pm

airbazar wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

It's xmas vacation. It's expensive no matter where you want to go. You can find decent fares to Europe sometimes because of all the competition and ease of self-connecting. I'd imagine that Mexico would be expensive because there really aren't that many options from Boston without a domestic connection which puts you in direct competition with everyone else flying for xmas break.

It seems that most demand is actually towards the Pacific Coast of Mexico (e.g. PVR). Many of those flights appear to be almost sold out. In contrast, flights to say CUN appear to be much less popular.

Jouhou

Sat May 18, 2019 1:27 am

Dieuwer wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

It seems that most demand is actually towards the Pacific Coast of Mexico (e.g. PVR). Many of those flights appear to be almost sold out. In contrast, flights to say CUN appear to be much less popular.

I don't know if you actually plan on going there at that time, but try checking again closer in. They tend to charge a premium on people who like to have their vacations set in stone and planned far in advance.

VS4ever

Sun May 19, 2019 12:51 pm

OAG changes for this week for BOS (thanks enilria for the hard work in putting this together each week)
*AA BOS-JFK JUL 1.0>0.6[5] AUG 1.0>0.5[5]
EI BOS-SNN JAN 0.2>0.9[0.2] FEB 0>0.9[0]
UA BOS-LAX JAN 3>2[1.9] FEB 3>2[2]
UA BOS-ORD JAN 8>7[6]
UA BOS-SFO JAN 7>5[5]

Nice to see BOS-SNN back for the winter this year, although it appears it maybe at the expense of JFK. AA at JFK, so much has been written about it, but that has to be exited soon surely. Unless the rumors are true and they will make a re-appearance once the runway work is completed. I am not convinced, but that's just me.

VS4ever

Sun May 19, 2019 4:45 pm

T-100's are out for November (for International),

WS did report, but still have not filled in for October so Canada numbers are still not correct for Quarter or YTD.

Report Set Up
1. Analysis is Month, quarter, YTD and Month by Month
2. 2, Summary Page by Region
3 BOS pages – showing routes from Boston only
4 Airline Pages – showing all routes by carrier for foreign flag carriers serving Boston, I have ignored AC for the time being as they are super complicated to fix up.
5 File link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=158fLj ... eN10_RI6m1
Comparatives will not match Massport numbers, for a number of reasons, including charter airlines being removed, diverts being removed, categorization differences to say but a few

I have also added a 17 vs 18 comparison by destination so you can see the growth or reduction by route a little more clearly over 2017.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p_PuN ... bqjKZTjLHB

Caribbean

Month: Season starting to build for the region 67k pax on 543 flights with 83K seats for an average load of 81.2%, best routes were SJU and PUJ which managed 90+%, the remaining routes all posted 70% with the exception of BDA which managed 65% on B6 and 69% on DL Avg. Pax were 124, 7th highest of the year so far. Please note, these numbers are significantly lower than Massport, as I believe B6 reports all their numbers under Caribbean rather than Central America for certain routes.

YTD: 894k pax on 1.06m seats and 7,078 flights for a 84.25% load Unsurprisingly B6 takes the lion’s share of the market pulling 788K of that, DL ran 92K, then AA with around 14K. From a volume standpoint SJU still rules the roost at 203K, followed by AUA with 155K and BDA with 136K,

From a load standpoint,

Top 5 are 1) BGI (90.91%) on 18K pax, 2) PUJ (90.34%) on 70K pax 3) POP (89.31%) on 6K pax, 4) SDQ (88.31%) on 103K pax and 5) UVF (87.89%) on 6K pax.

Bottom 5 are 1) BDA (72.73%) on 136K pax, 2) PLS (82.45%) on 20K pax, 3) STI (82.64%) on 86K pax, 4) PAP (82.65%) on 25K pax and 5) NAS (86.08%) on 29K pax

Canada -

Month only due to WS not reporting their October numbers

YYZ - Sky regional takes the market share with 17,664 pax, and a 82.51% load. 2nd was AC with 12,250 and 78.64% (but using an average of 96 seats) and WS with 8k pax and a 61% load (average of 47 per flight)

YHZ - Sky gained 5,675 pax at 62.72%, WS managed 2,538 at 55.15%

Jazz:
YUL 13,175 pax at a 74.82% load
YOW 2,664 pax at 60.55%

YTZ - PD, pulled in 16,000 pax at 72.37% load

Airlines – YTD rankings only for PD

PD –Month BOS was #2 station with 72.37%, behind EWR with 74.36%, but BOS has 1/2 the flights.
YTD - BOS was #1 station with 73.98% followed by EWR with 70.43%, but double the flights

Europe -

Month: Winter season hits for the Europe Region 259K pax on 320k seats and 1,213 flights for an average of 81.07%., three routes didn't break 70% for the month DL - LHR (64.74%, 54 flights). DY - CDG (67.4%), SK (46.11%)
Level to BCN again posted over 90%, closely followed by AF with 89.29%, LH - FRA with 88.61% and DL AMS with 87.59%

YTD: 3.6m pax on 4.28M seats and 16,290 flights for a 83,97% load, two routes have averaged above 90% for YTD across their carriers, that would be IB (Level) and DY/DI (LGW), SK continues to be in the basement and has averaged barely over 60% for the year and 6 more routes averaged under 80% for the year.

Top 5 are 1) BCN (93.25%) on 52K pax, 2) LGW (90.97%) on 192K pax 3) AMS (87.82%) on 255K pax, 4) CDG (87.46%) on 375K pax (AF #1 with 89.91%) and 5) FCO (87.40%) on 111K pax.

Bottom 5 are 1) CPH (61.75%) on 51K pax, 2) RAI (74.26%) on 12K pax, 3) TER (75.84%) on 22K pax, 4) STN (76.65%) on 10K pax and 5) MAN (78.14%) on 43K pax (MT won with 80.96%)

Airlines – YTD rankings only

In terms of comparatives, BOS ranked the following: numbers in ( ) are how many in each listing

AF – 2nd (13) – 89.91% JFK 1st (just 0,05% ahead, but with triple the flights and SFO currently 3rd
AZ - 3rd (6) – 87.57% however less than 1% separates 1st to 5th
BA – 12th (22) - 81.97%, ahead of SAN now and behind DFW, #1 was SEA which continues to be 6% ahead with LAS moving up to #2
DL - AMS – 6th (13) 87.82%, ahead of LAX and behind SEA which overtook BOS this month, #1 ATL, #2 JFK
DL - CDG – 9th (14) – 84.67% slipped behind MSP now and ahead of LAS and RDU, #1 LAX 5% ahead, #2 EWR, less than 3% difference between EWR and BOS.
DL – LHR – 7th (9) – 76.10%, ahead of JFK, behind SEA (only had a couple of flights) and DTW, #1 SLC by 10% from BOS, #2 MSP
DL - DUB - 3rd (3) – 74.48% was significantly lower than the other two pretty good and also using smaller aircraft than JFK/ATL, ATL #1
DY - LGW - 1st (11) – 90.97% ahead of JFK as #2 (90.32%) and LAS as #3 (88.59%)
DY - CDG – 4th (7) – 85.28%, dropped behind MCO by 0.4%, but still ahead of FLL, #1 was JFK roughly 5% ahead
EI - DUB & SNN – 2nd and 12th (14) – 86.81% and 80.2%, winner was JFK with SEA continuing as #3
FI - 2nd (18) .82.09%, only SEA ahead by about 2.4%, EWR continues as #3, bottom 3 are CLE, MCI and DFW
IB - MAD - 4th (7) – 83,93%, dropped behind LAX, JFK and MIA continue to lead, with SJU bringing up the rear, interesting ORD & SFO were also less than 80%
IB (Level) - BCN - 1st (3) 93.25%, have to surely give consideration to at least 1 more frequency?
LH - FRA – 3rd (19) 87.14% behind, LAX and EWR, ahead of SEA and SFO, SAN/PHL and ATL at the bottom
LH - MUC -3rd (10) with 83.71%, behind LAX and EWR, ahead of ORD, CLT didn't make 80%, unlike the other MUC routes, MIA-DUS & JFK-TXL, less than 70%
LX – 3rd (7) – 85.71%, 1% behind MIA in first and SFO in 2nd. Running ahead of LAX by about 0.2%
MT - 7th (7) – 80.96% - way lower than all the other routes, sadly unsurprising why it was cut.
SK - 6th (6) -61.75%, last by over 10%, this one can’t survive surely unless like DL with LHR they are getting a lot of upfront traffic? MIA-OSL at 66/21% gives hope
TP - 4th (4) – 86.37%, but only 2% behind EWR and on par with JFK.
VS - LHR 6th (9) – 76.37%, ahead of SEA, behind MIA (by 0.5%), winner was LAX with 80.88%
VS – MAN 6th (6) – 74.12%, 0.8% behind SFO and 6% behind JFK in #1.
WW - 4th (14) – 81.83%, 0.6% behind SFO in 3rd, 5% behind BWI in 1st and ahead of ORD by 1.5%

Middle East-

Month: Mid East Region managed 42K pax on 57k seats and 186 flights for an average of 75.24%.EK managed 265 pax per flight during the month, LY and TK managed over 83%

TK - #1 with 86.02% on 10k pax and 249 per flight
LY - #2 with 83.46% on 5.5k pax and 232 per flight
EK - #3 with 75.00% on 16k pax and 265 per flight
QR - #4 with 64.61% on 11K pax and 198 per flight

YTD: Mid East Region managed 554K pax on 656k seats and 2,191 flights for an average of 84.54%. EK managed 312 pax per flight during the year, all but QR posted above 80% for the year
EK - #1 with 88.133% on 208k pax and 312 per flight
TK - #2 with 86.81% on 150.5k pax and 251 per flight
LY - #3 with 82.07% on 47.5k pax and 184 per flight
QR - #4 with 78.72% on 148K pax and 222 per flight

In terms of comparatives, BOS ranked the following: numbers in ( ) are how many in each listing

EK - 2nd (12) – 88.13%, 2% behind SEA in first and ahead of SFO and JFK. MCO continues to be last along with IAH
LY – 5th (5) – 82.07%, 1.6% behind LAX, #1 was JFK
QR – 3rd (10) – 78.72% 1.5% behind ATL, basement dweller was MIA with only 69%.
TK – 6th (9) – 86.81%, 2.5% behind LAX, ATL finished last at 75.67%

Asia-

Month: Asia Region managed 38K pax on 47k seats and 194 flights for an average of 81.23%. JL, CX and HU (PEK) managed over 82%, HU (PVG only managed 63%

CX - #1 with 88.59% on 14k pax and 243 per flight
JL - #2 with 85.00% on 10k pax and 165 per flight
HU – PEK - #3 with 82.92% on 7.5k pax and 180 per flight
HU - PVG - #4 with 63.16% on 6.1K pax and 182 per flight

YTD: Asia Region managed 482K pax on 583k seats and 2,311 flights for an average of 82.73%.

CX - #1 with 88.70% on 157k pax and 244 per flight
JL - #2 with 86.03% on 112k pax and 168 per flight
HU – PEK - #3 with 79.82% on 142k pax and 220 per flight
HU - PVG - #4 with 72.94% on 72K pax and 202 per flight

CX – 2nd (6) - best out of single daily flight destinations, 2,1% behind LAX who run triple daily and ahead of EWR by about 1%
JL - 4th (9) - 0.4% behind DFW (also a single daily destination) in 3rd, and 1.1% ahead of LAX in 5th
HU - PEK – 3rd (5) - 0.07% behind SJC, ORD was 77%, LAS 65%
HU - PVG only 1 comparative, which is SEA and a whopping 11% behind,

The Americas

Central America -

Month: Cent Am Region managed 34K pax on 46k seats and 313 flights for an average of 74.07%. Note in Massport numbers, I believe B6's counts go to Caribbean, not Central America.

Route Rankings (top 5)

B6 - CUN #1 with 86.91% on 7K pax and 130 per flight
DL - CUN - #2 with 83.45% on 1k pax and 159 per flight
AA - CUN - #3 with 83.44% on 1k pax and 134 per flight
AM - MEX - #4 with 78.90% on 7k pax and 126 per flight
TA - SAL #5 with 76.81% on 4k pax and 115 per flight

*B6 MEX is still not doing well, first full month pulled in a 54.96% 67.63% outbound and 42% inbound.

YTD: Cent Am Region managed 319K pax on 388k seats and 2,559 flights for an average of 82.1 %. All routes managed 80%+ except for AM, TA and B6 MEX

CUN – 3 airlines on the route, 2 seasonal
DL – 93.35% on 32K pax and 146 per flight
AA – 91.22% on 11K pax and 146 per flight
B6 – 87.35% on 58K pax and 132 per flight

LIR – B6 – Seasonal, 90.46% during the season, 138 per flight

PTY – 81,9% but considering this is now above daily, a great result 120K pax and 120 per flight
MEX
AM – 77.7% on 74K pax and 124 pax per flight
B6– 54.94% on 6K pax and 83 pax per flight

SAL – 74% on 13K pax and 109 per flight

CM – 9th (14) – 1.3% behind SFO, and 1.3% ahead of ORD in 10th, top was JFK with 91%
AM – 8th (17) – 1.7% behind DEN in 7th and 0.3% ahead of LAS in 9th, top was LAX with 85%
TA – 10th (11) – 2% ahead of ORD and 2.9% behind MIA, winner was IAD with 87.18%, 13% higher.

South America –

Month: South Am Region managed 10K pax on 13.5k seats and 86 flights for an average of 76.66%.

JJ - #1 with 79.43% on 6k pax and 171 per flight
AV - #2 with 73.43% on 4.6k pax and 88 per flight

YTD: South Am Region managed 74K pax on 91k seats and 621 flights for an average of 81.17%.

JJ - #1 with 83.91% on 32K pax and 181 per flight
AV - #2 with 79.25% on 42.5K pax and 95 per flight

AV – 7th (9) – 1.3% ahead of ORD and 3% behind IAD, top place went to FLL with 88.27%
JJ – 2nd (5) – 1.8% behind JFK as the leader and 4.5% ahead of LAS who was the basement route,

More details in the file.. enjoy..

adamh8297

Mon May 20, 2019 12:53 am

VS4ever wrote:
T-100's are out for November (for International),

More details in the file.. enjoy..

Thanks as always! Also B6 BOS-HAV was 57%. It is the first month and usually the first return flight back on these seasonals (HAV-BOS) is light. December should be better but the BOS-HAV leg was only 67% for the month.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos