EK77WNH
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 pm

This might be one of those flights that bounces between a 788 and a 789.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September
 
jsteeves3
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 am

It looks like one of the 3 weekly will be operated by a 789!
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 am

Flight on 6/24 appears to be a 788 according to Flightradar24
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Saw an interesting add in the OAG that was news to me. Looks like 9K is launching BOS-PWM in September. Should be no problem to fill that with the possible B6 connections, but I do wonder how that will affect the current PWM-JFK flight. Also the drive to BOS from PWM is only like 2 hours.....
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4012
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 am

https://onemileatatime.com/american-cut ... to-boston/

"American Cuts Premium Flights To Boston"
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
tphuang
Posts: 2993
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am

Midwestindy wrote:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-cuts-premium-flights-to-boston/

"American Cuts Premium Flights To Boston"


Surprised that they gave up on this so soon. There were a lot of report on ft that first class seating was getting mostly free upgrades from j seating, which never helps sustain such a premium configured aircraft.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:08 am

pitbosflyer wrote:
Saw an interesting add in the OAG that was news to me. Looks like 9K is launching BOS-PWM in September. Should be no problem to fill that with the possible B6 connections, but I do wonder how that will affect the current PWM-JFK flight. Also the drive to BOS from PWM is only like 2 hours.....


Yeah, but it's so much more than a 2 hour drive, it's that plus expensive parking, and extra time through security etc, still a lot of people do it. Offering this 4x daily is a total of 36 PDEW on a 9K aircraft and it's $198 for a roundtrip, which, lets say the potential cost of parking at BOS for 4-5 days, is actually not that different, quicker through security you land airside at BOS and away you go.
However it doesn't appear 9K and B6 have set up the codeshare for it yet, as PWM-BOS is bookable on 9K's site, but it's not on B6's yet.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 pm

I know some have been asking about what's going on with B1-B3 (the Air Canada Gates) area. Well Massport released a video, I have the URL below for those on Facebook who haven't seen it yet.
https://www.facebook.com/BostonLogan/vi ... 315107195/
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
EK77WNH
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Probably to the surprise of no one, AA is going to discontinue using their premium A321s to LAX and replace all flights with standard-issue A321s (+1 to them for not going back to the 738s).

This will happen in early September.

Still, they will field five daily circuits into the holidays and then only cut one for the winter.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September
 
kq747
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Probably to the surprise of no one, AA is going to discontinue using their premium A321s to LAX and replace all flights with standard-issue A321s (+1 to them for not going back to the 738s).

This will happen in early September.

Still, they will field five daily circuits into the holidays and then only cut one for the winter.


See post #1107
 
BOSMEMFlyer
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 pm

I don't want to draw too much attention to the employee, but someone I follow on social media who would know something like this confirmed LH bringing A380 service to BOS next year. Seemed to indicate it would be on MUC service, though
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:25 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
I don't want to draw too much attention to the employee, but someone I follow on social media who would know something like this confirmed LH bringing A380 service to BOS next year. Seemed to indicate it would be on MUC service, though


Interesting...

1. LH was always the 3rd 380 operator in the mix for the 380 gates, so this makes sense.
2. MUC also makes sense, given that they have spent time moving their 380 fleet from FRA to MUC..

maybe FGITD will get us a 3 pic of 380's next year.. lol..
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
FGITD
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:43 pm

VS4ever wrote:
BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
I don't want to draw too much attention to the employee, but someone I follow on social media who would know something like this confirmed LH bringing A380 service to BOS next year. Seemed to indicate it would be on MUC service, though


Interesting...

1. LH was always the 3rd 380 operator in the mix for the 380 gates, so this makes sense.
2. MUC also makes sense, given that they have spent time moving their 380 fleet from FRA to MUC..

maybe FGITD will get us a 3 pic of 380's next year.. lol..



Honestly I'm surprised. I've heard nothing about it. Also seems extremely early, given that most of the airlines haven't even finalized the winter schedules, let alone next summer.

Certainly hope it's true!
 
OneX123
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 am

Apologies to bring this point up again but are there plans to open another bar on the non-satellite side of A? I’ve never seen anything like that terminal before and am shocked less people have an issue. Nothing like a nice drink before an evening flight and your only options are to wait in a miserable line at Legal or walk to the satellite for some sub-par bars. Never experienced anything like it
 
iyerhari
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 am

OneX123 wrote:
Apologies to bring this point up again but are there plans to open another bar on the non-satellite side of A? I’ve never seen anything like that terminal before and am shocked less people have an issue. Nothing like a nice drink before an evening flight and your only options are to wait in a miserable line at Legal or walk to the satellite for some sub-par bars. Never experienced anything like it

Isn't there a Boston Bruins Bar and Vino Volo there on the satellite side? i have never eaten in the Boston Bruins place but I believe it maybe the same as a typical bar food.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:26 am

OneX123 wrote:
Apologies to bring this point up again but are there plans to open another bar on the non-satellite side of A? I’ve never seen anything like that terminal before and am shocked less people have an issue. Nothing like a nice drink before an evening flight and your only options are to wait in a miserable line at Legal or walk to the satellite for some sub-par bars. Never experienced anything like it


On the non-satellite side, there used to be a bar, Lucky’s, that had decent food (good Greek salad) and drinks. With that closed, Legal’s is your only option. And yes, it’s crazy. Not sure what the plan is.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:33 pm

tlecam wrote:
OneX123 wrote:
Apologies to bring this point up again but are there plans to open another bar on the non-satellite side of A? I’ve never seen anything like that terminal before and am shocked less people have an issue. Nothing like a nice drink before an evening flight and your only options are to wait in a miserable line at Legal or walk to the satellite for some sub-par bars. Never experienced anything like it


On the non-satellite side, there used to be a bar, Lucky’s, that had decent food (good Greek salad) and drinks. With that closed, Legal’s is your only option. And yes, it’s crazy. Not sure what the plan is.


That old Lucky's is currently boarded up and being renovated into something different (the name escapes me....I believe it has the word 'Farm' or something like that in it). However, I always found that even when Lucky's was open it still didn't help diminish the lines. Both Legal's and Lucky's were packed all the time from 12pm on.

The main A terminal in general is just too small for the volume of passengers it's currently supporting. My hope is that when DL get's all of terminal A back that they'll be able to push a lot of those passengers out to the satellite and things thin out.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9570
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-cuts-premium-flights-to-boston/

"American Cuts Premium Flights To Boston"


Clear sign that AA has lost BOS which is shocking considering how huge OW is at Logan. Sorry it may sound like an exaggeration but that's my gut feeling and BOS belongs to DL and B6 now.

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
I don't want to draw too much attention to the employee, but someone I follow on social media who would know something like this confirmed LH bringing A380 service to BOS next year. Seemed to indicate it would be on MUC service, though


I can't say that I'm surprised. MUC is pretty much out of peak time slots but their economy is growing like crazy. If you've been to Munich lately there's construction happening everywhere. The A350 is hte largest capacity plane they have that just doesn't seem to be big enough for the route.
I am a little skeptical about the timing of the announcement. I feel like "next year" is still a long time away.

As for the food and beverages option at terminal A, I find it to be the worst terminal at Logan for food and beverages selection. But that's not saying much since none of the terminal have that great of a selection to begin with.
 
OneX123
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:30 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
tlecam wrote:
OneX123 wrote:
Apologies to bring this point up again but are there plans to open another bar on the non-satellite side of A? I’ve never seen anything like that terminal before and am shocked less people have an issue. Nothing like a nice drink before an evening flight and your only options are to wait in a miserable line at Legal or walk to the satellite for some sub-par bars. Never experienced anything like it


On the non-satellite side, there used to be a bar, Lucky’s, that had decent food (good Greek salad) and drinks. With that closed, Legal’s is your only option. And yes, it’s crazy. Not sure what the plan is.


That old Lucky's is currently boarded up and being renovated into something different (the name escapes me....I believe it has the word 'Farm' or something like that in it). However, I always found that even when Lucky's was open it still didn't help diminish the lines. Both Legal's and Lucky's were packed all the time from 12pm on.

The main A terminal in general is just too small for the volume of passengers it's currently supporting. My hope is that when DL get's all of terminal A back that they'll be able to push a lot of those passengers out to the satellite and things thin out.


I couldn't agree more. It is a beautiful terminal -- very open and nice views of the tarmac. However, it has to be one of the worst I've ever flown out of for an afternoon/evening flight. ATL, ORD, DEN, MIA, heck even RAP... at least at these airports you can sit and have a drink and watch TV, or walk to a neighboring terminal to do so. With the options in Terminal C and now especially with the upgraded AA portion of Terminal B, I just don't see how Terminal C can stay competitive...I know not everyone is interested in bars/restaurant options but you'd have to think DL is a little worried about the lack of options in A, right?
 
EK77WNH
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm

LH is also returning six of their A380s, if I understand correctly, and elsewhere there is chatter that BA might want them if the price is right. That would most certainly cause the A380 flight to be year-round rather than just seasonal.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September
 
iyerhari
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:10 pm

airbazar wrote:

Clear sign that AA has lost BOS which is shocking considering how huge OW is at Logan. Sorry it may sound like an exaggeration but that's my gut feeling and BOS belongs to DL and B6 now.


I feel there is another viewpoint here airbazar. In terms of the number of flights, BOS is > JFK for AA at this time. AA is not going to expand their footprint beyond their hubs and their hubs are pretty large although super-competitive - ORD, DFW, etc. There are quite a lot of dedicated LUS FF who are either stuck like me or end up using AA because of the OW vantage. I do not see them willing to lose money on any premium for BOS due to competition from DL and B6 who are more committed and focused with BOS and willing to stomach losses. Vs4ever can have detailed stats on the market standings but I think DL is just above AA despite all these adds at Logan.

As regards food options, I personally think it's so subjective that after a while people just get tired with seeing the same set of restaurants :) Terminal B IMO has a good choice as they have remodeled the complete terminal vs. A that was still dated. Traveling every week through B, I am slowly beginning to lose the novelty in the terminal :)

The configuration of A because of the satellite section vs. the main section makes it cumbersome IMO but in many large airports like DFW one has to walk quite a lot to find good options. The AA terminal at LGA is the absolute worst and would dread it if ever I had to take my kid there. I gather that the LGA AA terminal is getting completely remodeled but even during the LUS days, the terminal was not great anyways in terms of food/drinks choices. That is just my two cents :)
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 pm

I agree, especially on the main terminal side of A, that they need to find some more room for restaurant/bar options. Selfishly, I don’t deal with the lines too much because I go to the lounge, but I know that family members have been frustrated - especially when they’re boarding a 767 at A6. The scene for the hours leading up to that departure looks like Lord of the Flies.

Realistically, they probably need more space. I wonder if there’s any consideration for building up? Add some restaurant/bar space up on the floor where the lounge is. ATL does that with PF CHangs and Chili’s at some of the piers.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
B752OS
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm

tlecam wrote:
I agree, especially on the main terminal side of A, that they need to find some more room for restaurant/bar options. Selfishly, I don’t deal with the lines too much because I go to the lounge, but I know that family members have been frustrated - especially when they’re boarding a 767 at A6. The scene for the hours leading up to that departure looks like Lord of the Flies.

Realistically, they probably need more space. I wonder if there’s any consideration for building up? Add some restaurant/bar space up on the floor where the lounge is. ATL does that with PF CHangs and Chili’s at some of the piers.


Building up is a smart solution given the tight space constraints. Perhaps when the A to B connector gets detailed better/progressing towards construction, Massport will add in some food and retail options? I can't imagine Delta and Massport will not address this issue in A.

Overall, Terminal B is pretty solid with what's available now that the expansion and consolidation project is wrapping up. I'd rate it as above average compared to US airports.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:01 pm

BOS May-19 numbers are out.

May-2019 total pax: 3,879,543
May-2018 total pax: 3,705,129
MTM YTD AAGR: 4.71%

YTD total pax: 16,410,741
YTD total pax 2018: 15,592,530
YTD AAGR: 5.2%

Detailed breakdown:

May-19 May-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 888 2288 -61.19%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 234,105 183,165 27.81%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,857,426 2,835,942 0.76%
Total Domestic Passengers 3,092,419 3,021,395 2.35%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 112,384 88,707 26.69%
Canada 92,172 99,275 -7.15%
Central America 29,351 21,853 34.31%
Europe 415,300 352,228 17.91%
Middle East 58,738 56,465 4.03%
South America 7,494 3,869 93.69%
Trans-Pacific 59,785 49,907 19.79%
Total International passengers 775,224 672,304 15.31%

General Aviation 11,900 11,430 4.11%
Total Airport pax 3,879,543 3,705,129 4.71%
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:29 pm

iyerhari wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Clear sign that AA has lost BOS which is shocking considering how huge OW is at Logan. Sorry it may sound like an exaggeration but that's my gut feeling and BOS belongs to DL and B6 now.


I feel there is another viewpoint here airbazar. In terms of the number of flights, BOS is > JFK for AA at this time. AA is not going to expand their footprint beyond their hubs and their hubs are pretty large although super-competitive - ORD, DFW, etc. There are quite a lot of dedicated LUS FF who are either stuck like me or end up using AA because of the OW vantage. I do not see them willing to lose money on any premium for BOS due to competition from DL and B6 who are more committed and focused with BOS and willing to stomach losses. Vs4ever can have detailed stats on the market standings but I think DL is just above AA despite all these adds at Logan.


AA hasn't given up on Boston completely, but I think they are letting B6 and DL be the larger carriers. I think they realized there is just too much competition for the high-rolling business travelers, and not enough people are willing to pay that dear a price for the first class product on the 321s vs the business class product. They can deploy those planes more profitably elsewhere. I can't imagine though they would not have a lie flat seat at all, though.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski
 
OneX123
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:40 pm

B752OS wrote:
tlecam wrote:
I agree, especially on the main terminal side of A, that they need to find some more room for restaurant/bar options. Selfishly, I don’t deal with the lines too much because I go to the lounge, but I know that family members have been frustrated - especially when they’re boarding a 767 at A6. The scene for the hours leading up to that departure looks like Lord of the Flies.

Realistically, they probably need more space. I wonder if there’s any consideration for building up? Add some restaurant/bar space up on the floor where the lounge is. ATL does that with PF CHangs and Chili’s at some of the piers.


Building up is a smart solution given the tight space constraints. Perhaps when the A to B connector gets detailed better/progressing towards construction, Massport will add in some food and retail options? I can't imagine Delta and Massport will not address this issue in A.

Overall, Terminal B is pretty solid with what's available now that the expansion and consolidation project is wrapping up. I'd rate it as above average compared to US airports.


I only started flying DL out of BOS a few months ago and was really surprised how limited the options are. It must be hell for your typical business traveler who flies out of BOS on Thursday nights and doesn't have access to the lounge -- the congestion at the bars (and everywhere) is crazy. Also -- I fly out Monday mornings and I have to get coffee at either Wendy's or Friendly's (both suck) bc the line for Starbucks can go all the way down to the Southwest gates and DD isn't any better.

I don't think it's asking too much to say now that BOS is a 'Hub', the terminal situation needs to improve
 
airbazar
Posts: 9570
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 pm

tlecam wrote:
I agree, especially on the main terminal side of A, that they need to find some more room for restaurant/bar options. Selfishly, I don’t deal with the lines too much because I go to the lounge, but I know that family members have been frustrated - especially when they’re boarding a 767 at A6. The scene for the hours leading up to that departure looks like Lord of the Flies.

Realistically, they probably need more space. I wonder if there’s any consideration for building up? Add some restaurant/bar space up on the floor where the lounge is. ATL does that with PF CHangs and Chili’s at some of the piers.


Build that airside connector to B ASAP and we can at least walk over there for the better amenities :)
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 pm

cloudboy wrote:
AA hasn't given up on Boston completely, but I think they are letting B6 and DL be the larger carriers. I think they realized there is just too much competition for the high-rolling business travelers, and not enough people are willing to pay that dear a price for the first class product on the 321s vs the business class product. [u]They can deploy those planes more profitably elsewhere.[/u] I can't imagine though they would not have a lie flat seat at all, though.


That's the problem - there aren't any other options for AA to use them outside JFK/BOS - West Coast. What other premium markets are there? AA tried them (briefly) on LAX-YYZ and quickly pulled them off. One could argue that potentially MIA-LAX, but AA only runs 1 flight a day with F on that route and it's a 77W they rotate between the Pacific and S. America, so I can't see them exchanging an A321T for that. AA really is out of options once they're pulled from BOS.
 
B6BOSfan
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:11 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:43 pm

Looks like BOS had a bit of a weather adventure around 5 p.m. Wednesday. Low clouds moved in from Boston Harbor, dropping visibility from 10 miles --- down to 1/4 of a mile! The 1/4 mile visibility remained from 5:20 p.m. to about 5:54 p.m.

I found at least four flights that had to divert -- two JetBlue and one Southwest plane went down to Providence.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KTPA/KBOS

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KDCA/KBOS

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KPVD/KBOS

One private jet went to Hanscom, only to try for Logan again later.
 
EK77WNH
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 am

I think a Virgin 333 dropped into BGR.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September
 
PVD757
Posts: 3219
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:38 am

B6 1154 MCO-BOS also diverted to PVD.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 am

Never understood having "visibility" problems in the 21st century. Can the board computer not calculate trajectory, speed, distance, and altitude?
 
B6BOSfan
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:11 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:53 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Never understood having "visibility" problems in the 21st century. Can the board computer not calculate trajectory, speed, distance, and altitude?


Seems like at least one or two of these planes actually attempted to land too, and pulled back up

A fourth JetBlue plane diverted to BDL
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KBDL/KBOS
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:58 am

B6BOSfan wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Never understood having "visibility" problems in the 21st century. Can the board computer not calculate trajectory, speed, distance, and altitude?


Seems like at least one or two of these planes actually attempted to land too, and pulled back up

A fourth JetBlue plane diverted to BDL
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KBDL/KBOS


I quickly Googled it. I guess I am asking about CAT III.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
AA hasn't given up on Boston completely, but I think they are letting B6 and DL be the larger carriers. I think they realized there is just too much competition for the high-rolling business travelers, and not enough people are willing to pay that dear a price for the first class product on the 321s vs the business class product. [u]They can deploy those planes more profitably elsewhere.[/u] I can't imagine though they would not have a lie flat seat at all, though.


That's the problem - there aren't any other options for AA to use them outside JFK/BOS - West Coast. What other premium markets are there? AA tried them (briefly) on LAX-YYZ and quickly pulled them off. One could argue that potentially MIA-LAX, but AA only runs 1 flight a day with F on that route and it's a 77W they rotate between the Pacific and S. America, so I can't see them exchanging an A321T for that. AA really is out of options once they're pulled from BOS.
\

MIA to central and south America?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:50 pm

cloudboy wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
AA hasn't given up on Boston completely, but I think they are letting B6 and DL be the larger carriers. I think they realized there is just too much competition for the high-rolling business travelers, and not enough people are willing to pay that dear a price for the first class product on the 321s vs the business class product. [u]They can deploy those planes more profitably elsewhere.[/u] I can't imagine though they would not have a lie flat seat at all, though.


That's the problem - there aren't any other options for AA to use them outside JFK/BOS - West Coast. What other premium markets are there? AA tried them (briefly) on LAX-YYZ and quickly pulled them off. One could argue that potentially MIA-LAX, but AA only runs 1 flight a day with F on that route and it's a 77W they rotate between the Pacific and S. America, so I can't see them exchanging an A321T for that. AA really is out of options once they're pulled from BOS.
\

MIA to central and south America?


HA! Sorry, that was funny. The only premium route to central and South America is GRU, which is out of range for the A321T, which is why they send their only other plane with an international F cabin there - the 77W.

Your reply basically proved my point.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9570
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:59 pm

The main problem IMO is that AA's A321T's are too premium and therefore too niche. NYC-LAX and NYC-SFO are really the only routes that may support such a config.
For everything else something like a Mint A321 or a DL 752 with DeltaOne seats seems far more marketable, I think.
 
FGITD
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:53 am

Well at the very least, the rumors got legs. Heard from more than a few people I would generally consider reputable that Lufthansa does indeed wish to bring the 380 to Boston next summer.

Unfortunately the rumored one off that I heard about coming in July is definitely false.

But you never know what the winds may bring
 
UkiAir
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 am

A few days ago, as I was walking towards C6/E2, I noticed a brand new boarding door (with, what seemed to be-temporary stairs) and a brand new sign saying E1A. Its next to C8, where TSA checkpoint is.
I asked a few jetblue airports crewmembers that I personally know, and was told they are adding another gate there and it should also have a jetbridge. Not sure if one can fit between C8 and E1, but there's definitely going to be another (maybe bus) gate.

Also, C40,41 and 42 will go to Jetblue. Not sure about whose gate C43 is going to be?
And C20a will also go to Jetblue.

E1-3 are getting used more and more by Jetblue during the morning wave, and lots of times SDQ and STI arrive to those gates and turn domestic.
 
B752OS
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:30 am

5 years from now, where do you think Boston will stand as far as Delta vs. JetBlue? Do you think there will eventually be a clear winner? Or will they both be able to co-exist in the Boston air market with sizable operations?
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 am

B752OS wrote:
5 years from now, where do you think Boston will stand as far as Delta vs. JetBlue? Do you think there will eventually be a clear winner? Or will they both be able to co-exist in the Boston air market with sizable operations?


From everything I’ve read and with the plans B6 has in the works - it def appears B6 is out to be the clear winner, though I think they can both co-exist successfully much like DL & AS do in SEA. DL will be the premium international leader and B6 will be the domestic leader, with some overlap on key business and some Florida routes.

This is great time for BOS travelers as it’s bringing very attractive F & J fares due to Mint’s popularity and price point and it will only get better once B6 starts European flights.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:25 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
B752OS wrote:
5 years from now, where do you think Boston will stand as far as Delta vs. JetBlue? Do you think there will eventually be a clear winner? Or will they both be able to co-exist in the Boston air market with sizable operations?


From everything I’ve read and with the plans B6 has in the works - it def appears B6 is out to be the clear winner, though I think they can both co-exist successfully much like DL & AS do in SEA. DL will be the premium international leader and B6 will be the domestic leader, with some overlap on key business and some Florida routes.

This is great time for BOS travelers as it’s bringing very attractive F & J fares due to Mint’s popularity and price point and it will only get better once B6 starts European flights.


Simple math says on pax count B6 will be the winner bar a takeover of some description, that said I agree overall, there will be a co-existence which means hopefully healthy competition between the two, now that F9 have joined the mix we pretty much have everyone here, so competitive will be at work, but as for the these two, they will fight it out make various claims, Max out their operations and move on. B6 has MCO and FLL to move on to, DL has so many options to work on, they could go anywhere they have a presence.
It’s been fun watching them grow and use the facilities they have been provided to bolster their operations, we are not done yet, with DL expanding their network and B6 about to embark on a change over from E190 to A220 flying , both of which will increase counts further at BOS. Unless the economy tanks, the increases will continue for a while yet.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9570
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am

B752OS wrote:
5 years from now, where do you think Boston will stand as far as Delta vs. JetBlue? Do you think there will eventually be a clear winner? Or will they both be able to co-exist in the Boston air market with sizable operations?

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't view the industry (especially in BOS), as a zero sum game. I think there's room for both to co-exist and I think they are different enough that they cater to different customers and tastes, not to mention the obvious which is, DL is much more of a global carrier vs. B6. IMO B6 will be larger in BOS but not necessarily more profitable. I almost feel like each have different goals for their presence in BOS.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 am

Add me to the co-exist crowd. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next economic downturn.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
EK77WNH
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:17 pm

tlecam wrote:
Add me to the co-exist crowd. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next economic downturn.


Right. And when that inevitably happens, who blinks first? In my view, DL is very fickle and skittish. Heck, just on the LAX route they've come and gone so many times I've lost count.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September
 
swinch
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:49 pm

From my view, it's hard to see Delta ever replicating the brand-loyalty that Jetblue has managed to cultivate in the New England area over the past fifteen years. Especially in a downturn, I would think that that loyalty will give Jetblue an edge.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:48 am

iyerhari wrote:
BOS May-19 numbers are out.

May-2019 total pax: 3,879,543
May-2018 total pax: 3,705,129
MTM YTD AAGR: 4.71%

YTD total pax: 16,410,741
YTD total pax 2018: 15,592,530
YTD AAGR: 5.2%

Detailed breakdown:

May-19 May-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 888 2288 -61.19%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 234,105 183,165 27.81%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,857,426 2,835,942 0.76%
Total Domestic Passengers 3,092,419 3,021,395 2.35%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 112,384 88,707 26.69%
Canada 92,172 99,275 -7.15%
Central America 29,351 21,853 34.31%
Europe 415,300 352,228 17.91%
Middle East 58,738 56,465 4.03%
South America 7,494 3,869 93.69%
Trans-Pacific 59,785 49,907 19.79%
Total International passengers 775,224 672,304 15.31%

General Aviation 11,900 11,430 4.11%
Total Airport pax 3,879,543 3,705,129 4.71%


I just did a check on Asia because this is the first full month of BOS-ICN 5x weekly, the difference in flights was 43 and pax count 9,678, if you assume all the others stay the same (which is unlikely of course), but that alludes to a load % of around 83%, however i suspect it maybe a little more, given HU will probably reverse a little. Not a bad start if my math is roughly rightly, alas will not know the truth until November when the May T-100's come out.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:51 am

I suppose KE is minting gold on their business class seats BOS-ICN because I have never seen such obscenely high J fares.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9570
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I suppose KE is minting gold on their business class seats BOS-ICN because I have never seen such obscenely high J fares.

By contrast, when I looked earlier in the year (my wife had a trip to SIN a few weeks ago), KE was by far the cheapest option to get to SIN from BOS. That's not totally unexpected for the first month of operation of a new airline in a new route/market.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3051
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 am

From May 2019 data from our friends across the pond at the UK CAA - it appears BOS-EDI is off to an OK start - about 82.5% Load Factor.

BOS-MAN - looked horrible 70 ish people a flight (assuming 10 one-ways both direction combined were flown). I think its time for DL to take over the route with a 757 seasonally.

Also BOS-LHR is up 20% for the month due to VS daytime flight. DI BOS-LGW only took a 2% hit from it.

Can't wait to see June numbers

There was an article stating KE has been in the mid 80's for loads as well. https://www.businesstravelnews.com/Inte ... with-Delta
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos