Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iyerhari

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
I agree with this, if only from the MHT side of things. Long ago, it seemed as though Massport was very happy to promote the idea of ‘regionalization’ and use PVD and MHT and ORH like you say. But for obvious reasons, only ORH got that kind of ‘help.’ In the end, airlines will do what they want to do and go where they want to go. But just on the surface it would seem that a congested, conga-line-choked BOS should bode well for satellite airports around it. But it also seems that airlines don’t really care much about that.

We have been hearing about this for sometime but BOS growth adds is continuing. Previously it used to be primarily Terminal E getting full but now with DL adds, it is now A and C also getting full. I do not know how well this works for airlines to use a satellite airport that is at-least 1 hour away vs. Logan. Who knows - it could be possible in the near future.

iyerhari wrote:
Please send me an email separately and can send you the name of the dedicated driver I use from and to Logan to Watertown. I have been using him for several years now for my weekly trips.

Dieuwer - your user settings prevent responding to a text that u sent a few days back. Please text me your email address and will send you the details of the driver

tlecam

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:35 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
If I’m posting statements, it’s factual, if it’s an opinion It will clearly state that by saying “I think” or something similar.

I’ve been posting on here for 20 years in an objective manner because of my profession (the airport industry) just because I don’t drink the same kool-aid doesn’t mean I’m being negative.

If you want to know my true opinion, PVD needs BOS to get more service and fill up. The more congestion and hassle as service increases with little expansion opportunity, the more opportunities will arise for PVD.

For what it is worth, I know that you are passionate about PVD, but I never have interpreted your posts to be dogmatically anti- Boston. Enjoy your perspectives here.

Regarding ride shares, I have noticed the taxi cab lines are getting longer again, at least at A.

I did my last work trip of the year last week - a day trip to PHL. I was on the 3:30 ish back to Boston and there was quite a bit of connecting traffic to Europe based on the conversations I was hearing. Purely anecdotal but I was surprised.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

ChrisNH38

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:43 pm

tlecam wrote:
I did my last work trip of the year last week - a day trip to PHL. I was on the 3:30 ish back to Boston and there was quite a bit of connecting traffic to Europe based on the conversations I was hearing. Purely anecdotal but I was surprised.

The poor PHL fans down there must wonder what the heck is in the water up here. Ever since 2012, BOS has been on an expansion rocket.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

adamh8297

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Interesting increases in OAG thread for 12/22 which were not brought up yet anywhere else (i.e B6 news release on increasing AUS)

AS increasing BOS-SEA to 4
WN increasing BOS-STL to 5
WN increasing BOS-BNA to 4
B6 increasing BOS-SAV to 3 - this was not in the press release and is not loaded yet and not and I'm curious if they are going from 2 A320 to 3 E190 or some mix

AS also cutting BOS-LAX to 1 - why bother??? I would defend SFO along with SEA/PDX or try BOS-ANC seasonally with an a321neo in summer.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

adamh8297

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:32 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
tlecam wrote:

The poor PHL fans down there must wonder what the heck is in the water up here. Ever since 2012, BOS has been on an expansion rocket.

PHL doesn't have the tail variety of BOS and their only link to the Asian continent is QR. However, I can list over 10 destinations (international and domestic) that they have and BOS does not. Not all of these would be feasible and/or glamorous but some are.

ATH, PRG, DBV ,BUD,VCE, TXL,YQB,BZN,EGE,ILM,SDF,SAT,GSP, PNS, BHM, DSM

AA has been good to PHL - MAN is year round, they are getting CMN, and high volume European destinations are well served (FRA, CDG, LHR, DUB, MAD, BCN). F9/NK offer a lot of low cost destinations too. Its not that bad in PHL!!
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

VS4ever

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:44 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
tlecam wrote:

PHL doesn't have the tail variety of BOS and their only link to the Asian continent is QR. However, I can list over 10 destinations (international and domestic) that they have and BOS does not. Not all of these would be feasible and/or glamorous but some are.

ATH, PRG, DBV ,BUD,VCE, TXL,YQB,BZN,EGE,ILM,SDF,SAT,GSP, PNS, BHM, DSM

AA has been good to PHL - MAN is year round, they are getting CMN, and high volume European destinations are well served (FRA, CDG, LHR, DUB, MAD, BCN). F9/NK offer a lot of low cost destinations too. Its not that bad in PHL!!

AA I believe wants to continue to build PHL as it's east coast access point for TATL etc, still not sure what they are doing with JFK, but that's a whole different thread and topic.

I think many of us believe that ATH is a possibility, I would love to see TXL, but that's unlikely to happen (just to break the monotony of FRA/MUC) (it was so much fun when DUS and CGN turned up, but again I digress), on the domestic side. SDF and SAT still have to be possibilities, but I can't see anything much more in TATL until the extension opens and the new gates come on stream. Once that happens, some of those other options probably start to become viable. I know comments have been made in the past about carriers waiting in the wings for more space at BOS E, but 2021/2022 will make interesting reading once everything is set.
One question i do have, has there been any more discussion publicly about phase 2 being accelerated, so everything is done by 2023 instead of 2025? I saw it a while back, but it's gone quiet since.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Dieuwer

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:57 pm

tomaheath wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
How is the Lyft/Uber Central Parking situation? I have heard that it is a clusterf*ck and signage is extremely poor. People wandering around and having no idea which way to go, drivers cancelling rides because they can't find the entrance, pax wading through dozens of cars to find "their" ride, etc.
I'm hesitant taking a Lyft/Uber from Watertown to Logan this weekend. Maybe better to go by taxi again?

I had to pick up some family yesterday. There seemed to be confusion by the drivers on where to enter the garage I’d imagine that over time it will greatly improve once everyone get familiar with the changes. One spot that I noticed a issue was leaving the garage I think that area could use some work.

This morning I got dropped off at arrivals again. Works for me. The Lyft driver told me Central Parking is for pick ups only.

FGITD

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:10 pm

tlecam wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
If I’m posting statements, it’s factual, if it’s an opinion It will clearly state that by saying “I think” or something similar.

I’ve been posting on here for 20 years in an objective manner because of my profession (the airport industry) just because I don’t drink the same kool-aid doesn’t mean I’m being negative.

If you want to know my true opinion, PVD needs BOS to get more service and fill up. The more congestion and hassle as service increases with little expansion opportunity, the more opportunities will arise for PVD.

For what it is worth, I know that you are passionate about PVD, but I never have interpreted your posts to be dogmatically anti- Boston. Enjoy your perspectives here.

Absolutely. Great amount of knowledge regarding PVD. And as they say, BOS and PVD can shine together. A win for either is good for the region.

PVD757

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:42 pm

We’re just waiting for the scraps down here at this point! The 1x AS LAX is a good example. The geography of our region is such that there is a very large amount of people that are closer to PVD in distance or time that would support flights to key destinations. The more BOS is successful, hopefully, the more some of these opportunities arise. In the end, it allows a carrier like B6 to perhaps add a new destination instead of the 9th RSW for example.

VS4ever

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
How is the Lyft/Uber Central Parking situation? I have heard that it is a clusterf*ck and signage is extremely poor. People wandering around and having no idea which way to go, drivers cancelling rides because they can't find the entrance, pax wading through dozens of cars to find "their" ride, etc.
I'm hesitant taking a Lyft/Uber from Watertown to Logan this weekend. Maybe better to go by taxi again?

I had to pick up some family yesterday. There seemed to be confusion by the drivers on where to enter the garage I’d imagine that over time it will greatly improve once everyone get familiar with the changes. One spot that I noticed a issue was leaving the garage I think that area could use some work.

This morning I got dropped off at arrivals again. Works for me. The Lyft driver told me Central Parking is for pick ups only.

What time was that? I believe there is an exemption for drop-offs before a certain time.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

adamh8297

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:14 pm

VS4ever wrote:

I would love to see TXL, but that's unlikely to happen

I will say it will never happen but that's because BER is opening 10/2020

tlecam wrote:

Just to confirm - were you on DL? I know you fly them quite a bit.

VS4ever

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:18 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

I think that's still an assumption at this point, but fair point and I agree, I still think it unlikely to happen with BER. Shame really..

kearnet

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:27 pm

[quote="adamh8297"

[/quote]

* laugh snorts soda all over computer * Bwahahahahaha, BER opening 10/2020, LOL x10 . Oh boy, that's a good one.
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

iyerhari

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:08 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

What time was that? I believe there is an exemption for drop-offs before a certain time.

4:00 am till 10:00 am in the arrivals section except for Terminal C. Terminal C drop-offs and pickups always Central Parking. Pickups for all terminals always Central Parking
EXCEPT
Taxi or designated Limo drivers who can do terminal pickups or dropoffs at any times.

B752OS

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:06 pm

FGITD wrote:
tlecam wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Absolutely. Great amount of knowledge regarding PVD. And as they say, BOS and PVD can shine together. A win for either is good for the region.

PVD is the closet and easiest airport for a sizable portion of Eastern Massachusetts. Bristol County, which is not part of metro Boston, is closer to PVD. Even a decent portion of Norfolk County is closer to PVD. There's a reason you see PVD ads on billboards in places like Route 1 in Foxboro. To your point that PVD and BOS can both do well and should do well.

I also don't buy the argument that PVD getting a non-stop flight to LAX is going to have a negative impact on BOS's market.

Dieuwer

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:07 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

Dropped off at 10:30 AM Terminal B arrivals level.

jsteeves3

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:10 am

Does anyone know how the crowding at Terminal A restaurants is going? Only a single Dunkin' in both buildings for "real" coffee. Currently, these are the places that are open:

Main Terminal Building:
Legal's Test Kitchen
Berkshire Farms Market
Dunkin'
Gourmet Market (?? Not listed on BOS Massport Map but on DL's BOS Airport Map)

Satellite Terminal Building:
Sbarro
Friendly's
Currito
Fresh City
Dunkin'
La Baguette de Marche Express
Boston Bruins Bar

Coffee seems like a real issue to me, especially not having the Starbucks in the satellite building. Does anyone know what else is going into the places that have gotten removed? (Wendy's Starbucks etc.)

tlecam

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:45 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

tlecam wrote:

Just to confirm - were you on DL? I know you fly them quite a bit.

I was in DL. They have a convenient operation to PHL for me. Not as many options as AA, but they cover all the main departure/arrival times.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

tlecam

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:47 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
Does anyone know how the crowding at Terminal A restaurants is going? Only a single Dunkin' in both buildings for "real" coffee. Currently, these are the places that are open:

Main Terminal Building:
Legal's Test Kitchen
Berkshire Farms Market
Dunkin'

Sbarro
Friendly's
Currito
Fresh City
Dunkin'
Boston Bruins Bar

Coffee seems like a real issue to me, especially not having the Starbucks in the satellite building. Does anyone know what else is going into the places that have gotten removed? (Wendy's Starbucks etc.)

It’s pretty crowded in the main terminal during the mornings and evenings. Especially Legal’s and Berkshire Farms. Starting to look like ORD where people line up to get into the restaurant.

B757rocket

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:08 pm

tlecam wrote:
jsteeves3 wrote:

Main Terminal Building:
Legal's Test Kitchen
Berkshire Farms Market
Dunkin'

Sbarro
Friendly's
Currito
Fresh City
Dunkin'
Boston Bruins Bar

It’s pretty crowded in the main terminal during the mornings and evenings. Especially Legal’s and Berkshire Farms. Starting to look like ORD where people line up to get into the restaurant.

In the satellite the Starbucks is going to reopen, doubled in size approximately March. Plans to extend the Bruins Pub into the gate house at 13. Also the Harpoon Brewery bar has plans to remodel into a larger space (so I’ve heard).

In the main side there is a B Good Burger (Former news link) and a Alta Strada (former Wendy’s/Market Fresh) opening in a month.

EADSYABSOB73857

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 pm

So 2020 is already looking to be a huge year: close to 20 brand new flights on existing/new carriers and some new destinations, huge buildup/flight additions from B6, ramp up in service from AA, lots of int’l adds from DL. What are the predictions for next year in terms of announcements?

A couple of notes to highlight:
-2019 pax # should have been higher if it wasn’t for the AA & WN pullback in service. AA cut some frequencies and WN has slashed service to cities. Are these cuts correlated to the MAX grounding- when the MAX comes back online should we see these frequencies and cities reinstated, or are they cut for good? I for one believe BOS is too big/important of a market to cede that ground, and WN decided long ago that losses were tolerable in order to develop their service over time and establish a presence in a large market like BOS. What are thoughts on this?
-DL—> we’ve seen int’l adds for 2020, but nothing domestic as of yet.. will we see an array of domestic adds for DL for 2020? There are a significant amount of large business markets that aren’t connected to DL’s BOS hub that I feel are vital for a couple of reasons: 1) further validating BOS as a hub; and 2) facilitating connections onto int’l flights.. will we see DL announce new flights to large markets like: BAL, CLT, DFW, IAH, PHX, DEN, SAN; and what about smaller markets like SDF, MEM, STL, etc.

-What new international carriers will we see make announcements for new service in 2020?
Potential new flights:
-An additional TYO flight on NH to HND
-4x weekly on BR to TPE (Asia is screaming for further service- especially given the issue in HKG)
-Flight to BRU
-B6 domestic expansion ahead of new int’l flights to LON and PAR
-DL expansion to new markets- BAL, DEN and PHX... maybe DFW as well.
-WS expansion due to JV with DL and new initiative stated by CEO (to grow YUL and YHZ)

Will we overtake/get closer to overtaking IAH or anyone else?

jplatts

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:15 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
A couple of notes to highlight:
-2019 pax # should have been higher if it wasn’t for the AA & WN pullback in service. AA cut some frequencies and WN has slashed service to cities. Are these cuts correlated to the MAX grounding- when the MAX comes back online should we see these frequencies and cities reinstated, or are they cut for good? I for one believe BOS is too big/important of a market to cede that ground, and WN decided long ago that losses were tolerable in order to develop their service over time and establish a presence in a large market like BOS. What are thoughts on this?

WN re-adding BOS-PHX nonstop service is a possibility as WN was able to fill BOS-PHX nonstop flights back when WN was operating BOS-PHX nonstop service. WN also has a FF base in Greater Phoenix who prefer WN over AA, DL, or B6 due to WN having nonstop service out of PHX to destinations such as BUF, CLE, LIT, SDF, BNA, and TUL that aren't served nonstop out of PHX on AA, DL, or B6.

Here were the number of passengers and load factors on the WN BOS-PHX nonstop route back when WN was last operating BOS-PHX nonstop service:
2011 - 91911 passengers, 92.79% load factor
2012 - 57921 passengers, 94.07% load factor

I am unsure why WN dropped BOS-PHX back in 2012 when the demand for WN BOS-PHX nonstop service was clearly there when WN last operated BOS-PHX nonstop service.

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
-DL—> we’ve seen int’l adds for 2020, but nothing domestic as of yet.. will we see an array of domestic adds for DL for 2020? There are a significant amount of large business markets that aren’t connected to DL’s BOS hub that I feel are vital for a couple of reasons: 1) further validating BOS as a hub; and 2) facilitating connections onto int’l flights.. will we see DL announce new flights to large markets like: BAL, CLT, DFW, IAH, PHX, DEN, SAN; and what about smaller markets like SDF, MEM, STL, etc.

I could see DL re-adding DFW-BOS nonstop service since (a) DL served DFW nonstop from BOS back when DL had a hub at DFW, (b) DL has added some other domestic nonstop routes out of BOS in recent years in order to better compete against B6 in the BOS market, (c) DFW is one of the top destinations that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from BOS, and (d) DL has a FF base in both the BOS and DFW markets to support the return of DL DFW-BOS nonstop service.

I also agree that DL adding BOS-BWI, BOS-CLT, BOS-DEN, BOS-IAH, BOS-SDF, BOS-MEM, BOS-PHX, BOS-STL, BOS-SAT, and BOS-SAN nonstop service are possibilities as these are top routes that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from BOS.

NWADC10BOS

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:12 pm

jplatts wrote:
I could see DL re-adding DFW-BOS nonstop service since (a) DL served DFW nonstop from BOS back when DL had a hub at DFW, (b) DL has added some other domestic nonstop routes out of BOS in recent years in order to better compete against B6 in the BOS market, (c) DFW is one of the top destinations that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from BOS, and (d) DL has a FF base in both the BOS and DFW markets to support the return of DL DFW-BOS nonstop service.

I also agree that DL adding BOS-BWI, BOS-CLT, BOS-DEN, BOS-IAH, BOS-SDF, BOS-MEM, BOS-PHX, BOS-STL, BOS-SAT, and BOS-SAN nonstop service are possibilities as these are top routes that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from BOS.

BOS-BWI, -CLT, -DEN, -DFW, -IAH and -PHX are all flights from a DL focus city (BOS) to a competitor's hub (treating BWI as a WN hub). There needs to be serious gain, primarily from point-to-point traffic, to offset the pain of taking on a competitor on a route to one of its hubs. BOS-ORD is an example where the gain exceeded the pain, as is BOS-SFO, but I'd think BOS-CLT would be at the unlikely end of that gain/pain spectrum, compounded by B6 already operating that route. B6 also flies to BWI, DEN, DFW, IAH, PHX and SAN from BOS. BOS-SAN seems promising, as AS does not have a strong position at either endpoint.

Beyond that, PDEW numbers for these routes could be helpful in sorting through these possibilities.

EADSYABSOB73857

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:17 am

Delete post
Last edited by EADSYABSOB73857 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

EADSYABSOB73857

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:23 am

NWADC10BOS wrote:
jplatts wrote:

BOS-BWI, -CLT, -DEN, -DFW, -IAH and -PHX are all flights from a DL focus city (BOS) to a competitor's hub (treating BWI as a WN hub). There needs to be serious gain, primarily from point-to-point traffic, to offset the pain of taking on a competitor on a route to one of its hubs. BOS-ORD is an example where the gain exceeded the pain, as is BOS-SFO, but I'd think BOS-CLT would be at the unlikely end of that gain/pain spectrum, compounded by B6 already operating that route. B6 also flies to BWI, DEN, DFW, IAH, PHX and SAN from BOS. BOS-SAN seems promising, as AS does not have a strong position at either endpoint.

Beyond that, PDEW numbers for these routes could be helpful in sorting through these possibilities.

You raise very valid points, however in order for BOS to be relevant as a DL hub, they will need to connect to the largest markets (just as B6 did w/ ATL, MSP and others)... DL still needs to connect to large business markets in order to be considered a relevant DL hub- missing links to BWI, CLT, IAH, DFW, DEN and PHX are pretty significant wholes for an east coast hub to have- just my two cents. Feel free to disagree.

massachoicetts

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:24 am

I agree with 2020, Delta needing to add BWI, CLT, PHX, DFW, IAH and DEN... but Delta could definitely capitalize on some advantages if they decide to add flights to SDF (2x a day, ~76 seaters), SAT (1x a day A220), GSO (1x a day ~76 seater) and GRR (2x a day ~50-65 seaters)... filling the voids will establish new business pax on routes with 0 competition. This would make DL very strong at BOS. Some possible 2020 route announcements could also be MAD, BRU, BER and possibly SNN. I think BER's new airport could support a new flight to BOS and DL should take advantage of that. BRU and MAD could easily be served by a 757 and SNN would be tough, but maybe a few times seasonally on a 757 would do well.

aaflyer777

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:22 am

Anyone know what LYs plans are for BOS aircraft wise? I thought they were switching to the 787-8 this month but I'm still seeing the 777, dummy bookings from now til May show the 777 as well.

FGITD

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
Anyone know what LYs plans are for BOS aircraft wise? I thought they were switching to the 787-8 this month but I'm still seeing the 777, dummy bookings from now til May show the 777 as well.

It's been going back and forth, 772 and 789 with seemingly little pattern. I think I say it about most carriers, but their 789s are gorgeous looking airplanes

adamh8297

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Not much in OAG today but what was there is interesting

1)S4 BOS-PDL JUN 1.3>1.0[1.2] JUL 1.3>1.0[1.4] AUG 1.3>1.0[1.5] SEP 1.2>1.0[1.3]

Looks like S4 is already caving in a bit to TP's service. It doesn't look like the two Portuguese carriers are codesharing right now either.

2)UA BOS-DEN JUN 5>6[5] JUL 5>6[5] AUG 5>6[5] SEP 5>6[5]

UA hasn't had this amount of flights to DEN since the 2008 recession.

In Q3 - the pre-recession highest O+D was 880 PDEW in 2017. For 2018 it was 1338 PDEW and 2020 probably will go over 1500 PDEW with F9 in its 2nd year and the B6/UA increases.

We have overlooked that BOS-DEN is a 4 airline market and all 4 had loads over 92% in Q3 2019.

Dieuwer

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Didn't know this but apparently Denver has a decent amount of tech industry.

johhn14

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:25 pm

My Boston based company has been expanding in Denver in recent years. We’re not unique. Strong growth out there

VS4ever

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:02 am

adamh8297 wrote:
Not much in OAG today but what was there is interesting

1)S4 BOS-PDL JUN 1.3>1.0[1.2] JUL 1.3>1.0[1.4] AUG 1.3>1.0[1.5] SEP 1.2>1.0[1.3]

Looks like S4 is already caving in a bit to TP's service. It doesn't look like the two Portuguese carriers are codesharing right now either.

Yes definitely perked my interest when I saw this. Clearly don’t see the need for extra service with TP weighing in. Makes me wonder where that capacity will end up as a result, they have the aircraft but taking out a couple of weekly might give them a chance to try somewhere else.

iyerhari

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:01 pm

BOS NOV-2019 numbers are out and for the first time in ages BOS has a negative MTM growth based on the nos. below. Not a huge dip but definitely the nos. are negative compared to 2018 Nov. Probably an aberration that happens but still overall looks good.

Nov-2019 total pax: 3,264,105
Nov-2018 total pax: 3,296,694
MTM growth: -0.99%
Total international pax for Nov-2019: 552,066
International pax as a % of total pax: 17%

YTY 2019 total pax: 39,133,029
YTY 2018 total pax: 37,847,981
AAGR YTY: 3.4%

If I use the same nos. as Dec-2018, total pax for Logan for 2019 will be: ~42,226,973

Detailed:

Nov-19 Nov-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 891 1615 -44.83%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 226,702 185,124 22.46%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,477,618 2,560,819 -3.25%
Total Domestic Passengers 2,705,211 2,747,558 -1.54%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 87,550 81,490 7.44%
Canada 69,775 78,110 -10.67%
Central America 23,142 22,553 2.61%
Europe 263,424 262,568 0.33%
Middle East 54,424 45,351 20.01%
South America 8,228 10,937 -24.77%
Trans-Pacific 42,957 38,601 11.28%
North Africa 2,566 0 #DIV/0!
Total International passengers 552,066 539,610 2.31%

General Aviation 6,828 9,526 -28.32%
Total Airport pax 3,264,105 3,296,694 -0.99%

flyby519

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Probably the late Thanksgiving holiday pushing more travel into Dec?

VS4ever

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:45 pm

flyby519 wrote:

Entirely possible if folks generally stay over the weekend too with their families. It's clear where the issue is and that's domestic mainline down 3.25%, which kind of supports that theory, the other numbers all look in line with prior months and set ups. WN will be down i am sure, along with AA and UA. DL's additional regional flying is showing up with the 20%+ increase in commuter. The International ones all make sense. I am definitely looking forward to December numbers 1) to see where we land overall (pardon the pun) and 2) to see how much impact EK have with bringing in the Whale for the month.

Can't win them all, but 32K drop can easily be made up and more in December, it's not been a bad month for weather (one decent snow storm), so that will hold the numbers up accordingly.

Need to start thinking about 2020, many plans already in place, but wondering what else might be out there.

tlecam

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah Dec 1 and 2 were the Sunday and Monday after thanksgiving.

B752OS

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:36 pm

How is it Boston cannot sustain service to Mexico City on AM, but YUL is? It looks like on some days AM runs MEX-YUL twice a day.

RL757PVD

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Keep in mind the 30 year average growth rate for BOS has been about 2.2%. the growth balances out sooner or later.

If you grow PVD, BOS and PWM from their 1990 levels at 2.2% which is roughly about what the average GDP growth has been, you get pretty close to the present day passenger numbers (4.2 mil for PVD, 40.7 mil for BOS and 2.1 mil for PWM).

My 2020 prediction is that additions will be strategic in nature (aka blocking the other airline's next move such as DL BOS-GSP before B6 can add it) with the airlines focused on growing revenue/yield as opposed to passengers. SAT and SDF to a lesser extent is a perfect example of this, its not strategically important, therefore continues to go untouched.

B6 is under pressure to boost under-performing numbers and which is why you are seeing additional mint flying and focus on their strongest areas as opposed to new markets (no new domestic markets added this year I believe) and I expect that trend to continue into 2020, especially if the economy softens. DL will only add whats necessary to keep B6 in check at this point.

Call it negative, but let me be proven wrong.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

EADSYABSOB73857

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 pm

VS4ever wrote:
flyby519 wrote:

WN will be down i am sure, along with AA and UA.

Definitely a massive drop in domestic pax. Are these drops attributed to fleet disruptions due to the MAX or pull backs due to the battle between B6 and DL? For both UA and AA, BOS is their next largest & most important city after their hubs/focus cities.. so I can’t imagine them being too willing to cede ground to DL and B6.

EADSYABSOB73857

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:01 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

My 2020 prediction is that additions will be strategic in nature (aka blocking the other airline's next move such as DL BOS-GSP before B6 can add it) with the airlines focused on growing revenue/yield as opposed to passengers. SAT and SDF to a lesser extent is a perfect example of this, its not strategically important, therefore continues to go untouched.

Um.. how are SAT & SDF not strategically important but GSP is? All three are unserved markets, and I would venture to guess that PDEW numbers for SAT and SDF are much higher than GSP. Is there a business tie between BOS and GSP that I’m failing to reference?

RL757PVD wrote:

B6 is under pressure to boost under-performing numbers and which is why you are seeing additional mint flying and focus on their strongest areas as opposed to new markets (no new domestic markets added this year I believe) and I expect that trend to continue into 2020, especially if the economy softens. DL will only add whats necessary to keep B6 in check at this point.

Call it negative, but let me be proven wrong.

B6 actually added ROC in January 2019, but that was it for new markets. While I’m hoping B6 adds new, important markets (STL, CMH, CVG, MCI, MKE) I agree with you they likely won’t given they are under siege from DL.

The real question is: will WN, AA, UA add back trimmed frequencies/dropped cities once the MAX comes back online or are these permanent cuts?

VS4ever

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

The real question is: will WN, AA, UA add back trimmed frequencies/dropped cities once the MAX comes back online or are these permanent cuts?

The problem is nobody will admit to it publicly (MAX or permanent), but certainly the MAX has a big impact on WN, and I suspect some of their reductions have been as a result as they are short of aircraft somewhat. I do believe some of the drops from them were financial and they may never return, but in order for them to get 5 gates out of Massport and maybe 2 more if some of the conversations are true. WN is going to need between 50 and 75 departures a day, they are WAY off that right now.

I suspect some of AA's are max related too, but the odd going's on at JFK may signal reductions in that area. Maybe the addition of AUS potentially is a sign of a movement in the other direction and some P2P growth, but outside of LHR, it's one route and i am not getting very excited about that yet. Maybe the event flights are a test for some markets despite the one-off nature, who knows. But to me the jury is still out.

UA is doing what they need to, the addition on OAG over the weekend was a little surprise, but i don't seem them doing much more.

ChrisNH38

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:59 pm

What’s the deal with this one-off Aeroflot service tomorrow and Wednesday?
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

RL757PVD

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:13 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

Um.. how are SAT & SDF not strategically important but GSP is? All three are unserved markets, and I would venture to guess that PDEW numbers for SAT and SDF are much higher than GSP. Is there a business tie between BOS and GSP that I’m failing to reference?

Each are probably viable on one airline, with two being a murder-suicide scenario. SAT is long/thin and arguable out of reasonable range for a regional jet. GSP is a market that DL could enter with a RJ and both be successful and limit what would be a good B6 opportunity. I picked GSP as its a strong smaller market with a decent DL presence (12+ mainline/day including LGA on occasion).
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jplatts

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:46 pm

VS4ever wrote:
The problem is nobody will admit to it publicly (MAX or permanent), but certainly the MAX has a big impact on WN, and I suspect some of their reductions have been as a result as they are short of aircraft somewhat. I do believe some of the drops from them were financial and they may never return, but in order for them to get 5 gates out of Massport and maybe 2 more if some of the conversations are true. WN is going to need between 50 and 75 departures a day, they are WAY off that right now.

I have mentioned WN possibly re-adding BOS-PHX nonstop service once WN has more planes in service since WN had been able to fill BOS-PHX nonstop flights back in 2011 and 2012. I have also previously mentioned that WN has a FF base in Greater Phoenix who prefers to fly on WN over AA, DL, UA, or B6 due to WN having nonstop service out of PHX to destinations such as BUF, CLE, LIT, SDF, BNA, and TUL that aren't served nonstop out of PHX.

WN would also have some connecting traffic from Southern California and Vegas in addition to O&D on the BOS-PHX route if BOS-PHX nonstop service is re-added by WN.

Here were the number of passengers and load factors on WN BOS-PHX back when WN was last operating PHX-BOS nonstop service:

WN probably should not have dropped BOS-PHX nonstop service as WN has a FF base in Greater Phoenix to support BOS-PHX nonstop service on WN. WN also had better load factors on BOS-PHX in 2011 and 2012 than it did on BOS-ATL/MCI/IND/MKE in 2018 and 2019.

WN re-adding BOS-MCI on at least a seasonal basis might be a possibility after the new terminal at MCI is opened in 2023 and WN has more planes in its fleet since WN had been able to fill BOS-MCI nonstop flights back in Summer 2018.

WN adding BOS-SAT nonstop service is a possibility with SAT being one of the top domestic routes that isn't currently served nonstop from BOS.

In addition, WN adding an 4th daily nonstop to DEN from BOS might also be a possibility with WN planning on significantly expanding at DEN.

dtremit

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 pm

B752OS wrote:
How is it Boston cannot sustain service to Mexico City on AM, but YUL is? It looks like on some days AM runs MEX-YUL twice a day.

Not to mention a daily (?) frequency on 4O.

I have always assumed AM shot themselves in the foot on BOS-MEX with their flight timings. The 9PM arrival and 9AM departure in MEX made it hard to connect.

The YUL flights don't have that problem; one arrives in MEX at 2:35pm and the other at 4:30am.

Maybe there's still hope; AM pulled out of Canada completely at one point.

jworks158

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:49 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:

I believe we talked about it a few months ago,
I have been doing some digging since there isn't a filing to get the A333 to BOS since it is operating BOS-SVO-BOS according to the filing. I looked to see if it may be ferrying from another destination in the US but JFK is all 77W, and MIA, LAX, and IAD see A332 service through IAD is sporadic and nothing is scheduled till next week. Typically there doesn't appear to be any scheduled A333 service to the US. I talked to a fueler at BOS who is in the know and he said that they haven't received any requests.

I tried a dummy booking on Aeroflot's website and no options appeared.

So far I haven't seen anything which shows that this is real besides the filing on flightradar24 for SU flight #2995
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

VS4ever

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:46 am

jplatts wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

I have mentioned WN possibly re-adding BOS-PHX nonstop service once WN has more planes in service since WN had been able to fill BOS-PHX nonstop flights back in 2011 and 2012. I have also previously mentioned that WN has a FF base in Greater Phoenix who prefers to fly on WN over AA, DL, UA, or B6 due to WN having nonstop service out of PHX to destinations such as BUF, CLE, LIT, SDF, BNA, and TUL that aren't served nonstop out of PHX.

WN would also have some connecting traffic from Southern California and Vegas in addition to O&D on the BOS-PHX route if BOS-PHX nonstop service is re-added by WN.

Here were the number of passengers and load factors on WN BOS-PHX back when WN was last operating PHX-BOS nonstop service:

WN probably should not have dropped BOS-PHX nonstop service as WN has a FF base in Greater Phoenix to support BOS-PHX nonstop service on WN. WN also had better load factors on BOS-PHX in 2011 and 2012 than it did on BOS-ATL/MCI/IND/MKE in 2018 and 2019.

WN re-adding BOS-MCI on at least a seasonal basis might be a possibility after the new terminal at MCI is opened in 2023 and WN has more planes in its fleet since WN had been able to fill BOS-MCI nonstop flights back in Summer 2018.

WN adding BOS-SAT nonstop service is a possibility with SAT being one of the top domestic routes that isn't currently served nonstop from BOS.

In addition, WN adding an 4th daily nonstop to DEN from BOS might also be a possibility with WN planning on significantly expanding at DEN.

Yes I remember most of that, but to me, a lot of that is tinkering around the edges and unless the MAX is the problem and the flights will return once it is fixed, those won't go far to match against what has been cut at this point. SAT is a tough one, it is consistently #1 in the unserved PDEW charts, yet nobody has tried it yet and now we have the potential bloodbath just up the road at AUS that has so much capacity going in, it's going to be hard to get a decent price out of SAT on a schedule that works when you are up against the other situation. I agree PHX and DEN could be additions, along with another BWI and/or MDW to increase their connections through those places. Even if you did 1x daily to DEN, a couple daily to PHX, 1 daily to SAT and another to BWI, unless you bring back some of the others because of the MAX, they just aren't going to get to the prior levels.
i would like to be proven wrong because a strong WN keeps some of the others honest, but right now, until the MAX issue is resolved, we won't know for sure.

jakeroberts212

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:52 am

dtremit wrote:
B752OS wrote:

I have always assumed AM shot themselves in the foot on BOS-MEX with their flight timings. The 9PM arrival and 9AM departure in MEX made it hard to connect.

The YUL flights don't have that problem; one arrives in MEX at 2:35pm and the other at 4:30am.

I had this exact same question earlier this summer. YUL-MEX is 4x daily at certain times on AC, AM and 4O. That’s right - FOUR times daily and yet BOS can’t even support 1x seasonally on a hub carrier (B6)? What is the Mexican connection between YUL & MEX?? They also have service on CM to PTY, so it can’t all be LatAm connections. I don’t get it myself...

EADSYABSOB73857

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:10 am

dtremit wrote:
B752OS wrote:

I read an analysis on CAPA about 6 months back that stated AM would relaunch BOS and IAD once the company’s financial situation improved, especially BOS given the AM JV with DL and that it’s a DL hub. I remember that the analysis stated that the flights really didn’t do that badly, they were just amongst the networks worst performing North American flights- about 75-80% load factor, but in all fairness, I think flights were axed right before the JV was finalized and prior to BOS becoming a larger DL station.

FGITD

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:25 am

jworks158 wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

I believe we talked about it a few months ago,
I have been doing some digging since there isn't a filing to get the A333 to BOS since it is operating BOS-SVO-BOS according to the filing. I looked to see if it may be ferrying from another destination in the US but JFK is all 77W, and MIA, LAX, and IAD see A332 service through IAD is sporadic and nothing is scheduled till next week. Typically there doesn't appear to be any scheduled A333 service to the US. I talked to a fueler at BOS who is in the know and he said that they haven't received any requests.

I tried a dummy booking on Aeroflot's website and no options appeared.

So far I haven't seen anything which shows that this is real besides the filing on flightradar24 for SU flight #2995

As far as I’ve looked into it, none of the ground handlers are expecting an Aeroflot plane either. I'm thinking it was a test or glitch, and I'd be very surprised to see an Aeroflot plane tomorrow.

That said, LY is indeed a 788 tomorrow.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos