Dieuwer

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 pm

S0Y wrote:
BA lounge is open in the mornings. Think it opens at 6am, then closes for a couple of hours after the morning flight departs

It is also open for the JAL departure.

VS4ever

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 pm

panamair wrote:
On today's Delta Q2 2019 Earnings call, Glen Hauenstein indicated that Delta's medium term target is about 200 flights a day out of BOS, targeted to be achieved in the next 18-24 months...beyond that, it will depend on how the market grows, etc.

That’s going to be some turns at the other gates given they only have 21 gates total. WS use A1 and the 13-17 bank are jammed with TATL flights during the afternoon/evening.
I admire the growth (suspiciously a number that ties to B6’s stated aim, but that’s going to be a crazy amount of flights, WNesque...
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

jworks158

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 pm

VS4ever wrote:
panamair wrote:
On today's Delta Q2 2019 Earnings call, Glen Hauenstein indicated that Delta's medium term target is about 200 flights a day out of BOS, targeted to be achieved in the next 18-24 months...beyond that, it will depend on how the market grows, etc.

That’s going to be some turns at the other gates given they only have 21 gates total. WS use A1 and the 13-17 bank are jammed with TATL flights during the afternoon/evening.
I admire the growth (suspiciously a number that ties to B6’s stated aim, but that’s going to be a crazy amount of flights, WNesque...

Also how many of those flights will be on regional jets....
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

tphuang

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm

VS4ever wrote:
panamair wrote:

I don't see how it's possible given their current gate count. Their OTP numbers haven't looked good since ramping up to 130 flights in the summer time on the 16 gates. Seems like a shot at B6. And the only obvious markets left are AA/UA/WN fortress hubs which are already adequately or overly served. I will have to see it to believe it.

EK77WNH

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm

I heard at one point DL wanted to chase FedEx out of its spot so A could be extended in that direction.

Good luck there. All the cargo boys are under pressure from one direction or another.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

Capn

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Maybe Dl. has some other plans. Where there's a will there's a way...
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

ramzi

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:40 pm

FGITD wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Couple questions about some things I saw yesterday morning and evening when I flew out of and back into BOS:

7am - saw the two BA & VS LHR morning departures next to each other. Surprisingly, BA was at E7 which I thought odd. After investing so much in their new lounge and given that passengers can board directly from it I was surprised to see BA not using “their” gate E12.

5:30pm - As we landed I noticed the busy scene over at E. Just amazing at how much growth BOS has seen from carriers all over the world. IB used an A346 yesterday. I’m curious as to whether that’s due to demand on the MAD-BOS route or more of IB just subbing out aircraft due to operational logistics?

The daytime BA flight is an overnighter in BOS, and believe it or not, even though it arrives around 10pm, gates are still tough to come by at that time. There's also another BA flight that leaves at 2250 that's always on E12 so it seems they prefer to keep their evening flights on 12, and the morning flight will go wherever.

Also I believe your eyes may have deceived you! A 772 doesn't fit on E7. They've been going to E5/6 frequently though.

In regards to IB, it has definitely been an a330 much more often than a 346. So I wouldn't say a summer upgauge, but rather a day to day change as needed

Actually the 10pm BA arrival goes to gate E12 typically, and overnights there. I've taken the morning flight 3 times in the past year and have boarded from the lounge each time. I would say what clrd4t8koff saw was an exception, as usually it is actually the 215 that uses E5 or E6. Typically the 203 arrival waits for the A380 to leave gate E12 and then uses it. The 215 arrives before the 203 bird leaves the gate, so it gets stationed at E5 or E6. Then, the 215 leaves just in time for the last arrival of the evening to use gate E12 and stay there until the morning departure. Basically the only departure that usually does not get direct lounge boarding is the last departure of the night, which is the before last arrival of the night.

My guess is in this case there was either a delayed departure or arrival that led to the last arrival using a different gate, and they probably didn't think it was enough of a big deal to tow the aircraft.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

Bluewho

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 pm

tphuang wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
panamair wrote:

I don't see how it's possible given their current gate count. Their OTP numbers haven't looked good since ramping up to 130 flights in the summer time on the 16 gates. Seems like a shot at B6. And the only obvious markets left are AA/UA/WN fortress hubs which are already adequately or overly served. I will have to see it to believe it.

So they are going to add 70 more flights in 2 years with 21 gates?

How are they going to pull this off.

I feel like this is just aimed at JetBlue again just like the jfk Iah add. They really have a thing now for going after blue. Meanwhile blue seems to just be taking it they certainly aren’t winning the PR war.

aaflyer777

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Could DL be looking to use some of the empty E gates? Not ideal but it’d give them the ability to add some more flights

VS4ever

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:34 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
Could DL be looking to use some of the empty E gates? Not ideal but it’d give them the ability to add some more flights

B6 already got there and have taken E1-E3 to meld with their current operation, add in HA and F9 and space is starting to be limited even in the morning. In theory they could run a limited operation, but it wouldn’t be ideal. B6 have the advantage as E is connected to C and they can use those gates almost seamlessly.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Dieuwer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:24 am

EK77WNH wrote:
I heard at one point DL wanted to chase FedEx out of its spot so A could be extended in that direction.

Good luck there. All the cargo boys are under pressure from one direction or another.

Do FedEX et al. really HAVE to fly into/out of BOS? How about relocating to Worc.?

EADSYABSOB73857

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 am

panamair wrote:

I was on the call with my chief analyst- what he actually said (verbatim) was; “We’ll be at over 200 flights per day in the next year to 18 months.” That’s pretty ambitious growth. Bastion referenced how BOS is one of the wealthiest and fastest growing major cities in the US, and that’s what they like about growing it. They also stated that currently, 1,000 pax a day are connecting over BOS and that number will continue to grow fast.

They referenced Southwest leaving Terminal A by the end of summer, and they stated that once they reclaim those gates, that will allow them to grow to more than 200 daily flights. How is this possible, I thought they could max out at 175-180?? Are we not accounting for something?

Dieuwer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 am

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
panamair wrote:

I was on the call with my chief analyst- what he actually said (verbatim) was; “We’ll be at over 200 flights per day in the next year to 18 months.” That’s pretty ambitious growth. Bastion referenced how BOS is one of the wealthiest and fastest growing major cities in the US, and that’s what they like about growing it. They also stated that currently, 1,000 pax a day are connecting over BOS and that number will continue to grow fast.

They referenced Southwest leaving Terminal A by the end of summer, and they stated that once they reclaim those gates, that will allow them to grow to more than 200 daily flights. How is this possible, I thought they could max out at 175-180?? Are we not accounting for something?

Faster turnaround?

VS4ever

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 am

Dieuwer wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
panamair wrote:

Faster turnaround?

Well yes that’s one way, but again with the evening restrictions on 13-17 along with 1that means you are going to have to run 12-13 turns on the other gates. Even WN were only running up to 11 on 18-22 that is going to be crush time at peak hours,
If they have figured it out, more power to them, can they do it and make money will doing so? That’s the big one

Bluewho

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 am

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
panamair wrote:

But that’s what I don’t get. The last additions DCA and PHL and all of those were to take up those gates. They are at what like 130ish and in 2 years over 200 with no additional gates? It seems like a bunch of talk but who knows. We know Delta is good at PR.

But this connection thing is interesting considering gospel on airliners.net was it makes a poor connection hub, but at the same time they say they are growing it because Boston is a rich and growing city.

EADSYABSOB73857

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 am

On the 6:05 to RDU this morning, heard them announce over the PA system that the flight to ORF was oversold and they were looking for volunteers to take a later flight. Surprised because that flight usually isn’t a stellar performer.

EADSYABSOB73857

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

Faster turnaround?

Well yes that’s one way, but again with the evening restrictions on 13-17 along with 1that means you are going to have to run 12-13 turns on the other gates. Even WN were only running up to 11 on 18-22 that is going to be crush time at peak hours,
If they have figured it out, more power to them, can they do it and make money will doing so? That’s the big one

With a future expansion of A, how big could Massport go? 5 gates, 7, 10? I’m sure it’s been discussed between Massport and DL, can’t imagine DL would commit to huge growth at BOS just to be capped at 150-200 flights. There have to be potential expansion plans and/or using an additional terminal for expanded ops.

B752OS

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 am

EK77WNH wrote:

One issue is the large vent building for the Ted Williams Tunnel being adjacent to the satellite concourse in terminal A.

At some point I am sure Massport will take a hard look at expanding things in this area. There's a vent building for the Ted Williams Tunnel adjacent to the satellite which further complicates things. If Massport wants to go bold, perhaps they could move the vent building to sit where the taxi pool currently is (I think the taxi pool is moving and am not sure if the vent building has to sit directly on top of the tunnel), get rid of runway 14/32, move all the cargo ops down in that area and then extend the satellite concourse. It looks like you could add 8-12 gates. I've seen upwards of 5 763s and 1 752 in this area before, so there's a decent amount of space. Maybe this could be where Massport adds a second CBP facilities to help relieve terminal E. Best case would be Massport doing all of these moves and building an extension that has 6 wide-body duel jet bridge gates (flex usage) plus 2-3 narrow body gates with CDP facilities. Delta could operate all of their international flights out of this area and also move over some of their partners - KLM, Koreanair, etc. This would take some stress off of terminal E. But I am sure this is all a pipe dream of sorts.

airbazar

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

VS4ever wrote:

Here's how I think they can grow: Busing!
But there's a caveat to that: Runway 14/32 would have to be closed.
Massport could turn the entire area opposite the cargo facilities as remote stands. They could easily fit 8 narrow body parking positions in that space.
Another option is to relocate the Fire Rescue HQ to somewhere else and turn that old eargle's nest area into remote stands. Could probably fit 5 or 6 parking positions there. Heck they could probably build a triangular or semi-circle shaped satellite terminal with 5-6 gates in that area.

tphuang

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:34 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Faster turnaround?

With a future expansion of A, how big could Massport go? 5 gates, 7, 10? I’m sure it’s been discussed between Massport and DL, can’t imagine DL would commit to huge growth at BOS just to be capped at 150-200 flights. There have to be potential expansion plans and/or using an additional terminal for expanded ops.

They said a while back they will be at 150 flights by summer of 2018 and they are now at 130 flights a year later. It's taken them 3 years to go from mid 70s in flights to 130. Which in itself is a very fast expansion already. To go from 130 to 200 flights in 18 months with only 5 more gates is pretty unrealistic. With the 5 additional gates, they are already commited for about 20 to 25 flights on top of that which will get them to a little over 150 flights by next summer. Based on what they are saying, it seems like they have plans to use those gates even more aggressively. And due to their rapid expansion, there are many routes out of BOS very over-served and very few under-served ones.

But for an airline that promotes itself on OTP and terminal experience, pushing much more than would dramatically hurt both. Their OTP at BOS is already subpar this summer due to doing 130 flights in 16 gates. And using gates more aggressively also means a lot of worse timed flights which will make their performance on these routes even worse.

Also keep in mind, they also put in even larger investment in LGA, LAX and SEA for terminal/gate space. In LGA, they are not likely to get any additional slots, but was done purely to improve terminal experience. For LAX, the gates/space they've gotten so far have not been used for additional flights either. And in SEA, it remains to be seen how many flights they add with the huge investment they already put in. In these space/gate constrained airport, any additional gate space is precious and hard to get. B6 itself has commited to 3 flights at ORH in order to get all of its gate space at BOS. If DL gets any additional gates at BOS, B6 will also be asking MassPort for additional gates. Soon enough, there will be discussion for slots at BOS.

jsteeves3

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm

B752OS wrote:
EK77WNH wrote:

One issue is the large vent building for the Ted Williams Tunnel being adjacent to the satellite concourse in terminal A.

At some point I am sure Massport will take a hard look at expanding things in this area. There's a vent building for the Ted Williams Tunnel adjacent to the satellite which further complicates things. If Massport wants to go bold, perhaps they could move the vent building to sit where the taxi pool currently is (I think the taxi pool is moving and am not sure if the vent building has to sit directly on top of the tunnel), get rid of runway 14/32, move all the cargo ops down in that area and then extend the satellite concourse. It looks like you could add 8-12 gates. I've seen upwards of 5 763s and 1 752 in this area before, so there's a decent amount of space. Maybe this could be where Massport adds a second CBP facilities to help relieve terminal E. Best case would be Massport doing all of these moves and building an extension that has 6 wide-body duel jet bridge gates (flex usage) plus 2-3 narrow body gates with CDP facilities. Delta could operate all of their international flights out of this area and also move over some of their partners - KLM, Koreanair, etc. This would take some stress off of terminal E. But I am sure this is all a pipe dream of sorts.

Honestly that sounds like the best option to me...

Bluewho

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

tphuang wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

They said a while back they will be at 150 flights by summer of 2018 and they are now at 130 flights a year later. It's taken them 3 years to go from mid 70s in flights to 130. Which in itself is a very fast expansion already. To go from 130 to 200 flights in 18 months with only 5 more gates is pretty unrealistic. With the 5 additional gates, they are already commited for about 20 to 25 flights on top of that which will get them to a little over 150 flights by next summer. Based on what they are saying, it seems like they have plans to use those gates even more aggressively. And due to their rapid expansion, there are many routes out of BOS very over-served and very few under-served ones.

But for an airline that promotes itself on OTP and terminal experience, pushing much more than would dramatically hurt both. Their OTP at BOS is already subpar this summer due to doing 130 flights in 16 gates. And using gates more aggressively also means a lot of worse timed flights which will make their performance on these routes even worse.

Also keep in mind, they also put in even larger investment in LGA, LAX and SEA for terminal/gate space. In LGA, they are not likely to get any additional slots, but was done purely to improve terminal experience. For LAX, the gates/space they've gotten so far have not been used for additional flights either. And in SEA, it remains to be seen how many flights they add with the huge investment they already put in. In these space/gate constrained airport, any additional gate space is precious and hard to get. B6 itself has commited to 3 flights at ORH in order to get all of its gate space at BOS. If DL gets any additional gates at BOS, B6 will also be asking MassPort for additional gates. Soon enough, there will be discussion for slots at BOS.

Thanks for the info.
It’s seems like pure bluster from Delta....

EK77WNH

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Also, this isn't a positive-sum-game. It's not as though DL (or B6, for that matter) will just add flights without cutting any. I'm sure there are laggards in the schedules at both carriers.

Two steps forward, one step back makes the trajectory to 200 flights even less likely.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

clrd4t8koff

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:13 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
B752OS wrote:
EK77WNH wrote:

Honestly that sounds like the best option to me...

Agreed.

While I was in college at Northeastern back in 2001 I did a Co-op at MASSPORT. This was during their quest to build runway 14/32, and as part of it I had to attend several town hall style meetings that got very very heated with local residents. We all know MASSPORT eventually prevailed so if they do go this route and end up getting rid of 14/32 it will be something considering the fight they put up to get it built.

However, 18-years later and BOS is a very different landscape (literally). It'll be interesting to see what MASSPORT does and what DL can get from this.

tphuang

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Bluewho wrote:

Thanks for the info.
It’s seems like pure bluster from Delta....

Well, what he said was "Boston is a true focus city for us that we have commitments over the next year, year and half to take our departure levels up towards 200. .. And we will take over the entire terminal, starting late this summer, will allow us to continue to grow in Boston"

Given that JetBlue's publicly stated goals is 200 flights a day. I think it's pretty clear the message is "we are coming after you, JetBlue". We already know that they are going in that direction and given this comment, it's fair to say they have more adds on tap. What departure level they will reach is really depend on how comfortable they are with the space they do have and with those route performances in an uncertain economy. Certainly as they add more flights into AA/UA/WN fortress hubs, there is going to be a lot of bloodbath ahead for them.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
panamair wrote:

Three things jump out to me here:

1). The fact Glen said verbatim "we'll be at over 200 flights in the next 18-months" says to me that they're serious. Could it take more than 18-months - sure. Nothing that happens in Boston happens on schedule. Hello big-dig. But baring some kind of economic downturn it sounds like they're hell bent on seriously competing with B6 and winning as BOS premium airline.

2). Right now DL has 1k passengers a day connecting over BOS and DL has made it no secret they want to make DL their secondary TATL hub in the NE to relieve JFK. We should expect to see this number increase which brings me to point 3.

3). Once again DL is facing a crunch with terminal A. Do they lobby MASSPORT and get them to relocate FedEx to expand A....and put in CBP. How much will DL cover in costs for this? Outside of a terminal A expansion the only other option DL has is bussing, which will make the ground/terminal experience subpar to B6 and I have to believe DL wants nothing to do with that. It's not competitive and BOS has awful weather - rain, snow, heat - too much to bus people. B6 would eat them alive if they go this route I believe.

If MASSPORT would allow this terminal A expansion, as perviously mentioned, this would also help them with E. Though with the new E expansion underway would this erode their plans and leave them with too much international gate space if DL moves its (and possibly) their partners international flights over to an expanded A?

EK77WNH

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:40 pm

I think the industry push toward smaller planes means that double-daily circuits are likely on some European routes. So I think even if DL were to move lock-stock-and-barrel to A, these new yet-to-come E gates would STILL be gobbled up. But it's so clear to me that DHL, UPS, and FedEx are sitting on valuable property that the 'people-moving' planes want to occupy. For their part, UPS and DHL are a lot closer to being 'evicted.'
(Formerly ChrisNH)

x1234

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 pm

DL said on the Q2 conference call the KE ICN-BOS flight was very successful. I wonder if it will upgrade to daily service soon!?

airbazar

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:18 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
While I was in college at Northeastern back in 2001 I did a Co-op at MASSPORT. This was during their quest to build runway 14/32, and as part of it I had to attend several town hall style meetings that got very very heated with local residents. We all know MASSPORT eventually prevailed so if they do go this route and end up getting rid of 14/32 it will be something considering the fight they put up to get it built.

However, 18-years later and BOS is a very different landscape (literally). It'll be interesting to see what MASSPORT does and what DL can get from this.

I don't see 14/32 being shuttered unless it is used as a bargaining chip to extend 15L/33R. But since the affected residents are completely different this might not be politically viable.
Massport knows, as we all do that with more gates they will run out of slots pretty fast. If DL does get to 200 in the next 18 months plus a potential B6 TATL expansion, BOS peak time slots will be very hard to come by.
The cargo airlines aren't going anywhere. The proximity to Boston is highly strategic and cargo is very profitable to Massport, possibly more so than passengers. Cargo doesn't care about fancy terminals or TSA lines.
In an ideal scenario, Massport would get permission to extend 15L/33R to about 6,000+ft (over pylons so as not to fill the bay and kill the ecosystem), and in exchange close rwy 14/32. Some of the cargo terminals would be moved to the other side of Harborside Dr. to make room for an extension of the terminal. The tunnel venting cannot be move as it has to sit above the actual tunnel but the concourse could wrap around the venting building.
Without swapping 14/32 for 15L/33R I don't see the rwy being closed because as BOS runs out of slots I see this runway getting more use.

EADSYABSOB73857

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
panamair wrote:

1). The fact Glen said verbatim "we'll be at over 200 flights in the next 18-months" says to me that they're serious. Could it take more than 18-months - sure. Nothing that happens in Boston happens on schedule. Hello big-dig. But baring some kind of economic downturn it sounds like they're hell bent on seriously competing with B6 and winning as BOS premium airline.

2). Right now DL has 1k passengers a day connecting over BOS and DL has made it no secret they want to make DL their secondary TATL hub in the NE to relieve JFK. We should expect to see this number increase which brings me to point 3.

3). Once again DL is facing a crunch with terminal A. Do they lobby MASSPORT and get them to relocate FedEx to expand A....and put in CBP. How much will DL cover in costs for this? Outside of a terminal A expansion the only other option DL has is bussing, which will make the ground/terminal experience subpar to B6 and I have to believe DL wants nothing to do with that. It's not competitive and BOS has awful weather - rain, snow, heat - too much to bus people. B6 would eat them alive if they go this route I believe.

If MASSPORT would allow this terminal A expansion, as perviously mentioned, this would also help them with E. Though with the new E expansion underway would this erode their plans and leave them with too much international gate space if DL moves its (and possibly) their partners international flights over to an expanded A?

Do we know if there has been mention or discussion around a Terminal A expansion rather than A.net speculation? Have Massport, DL or anyone else ever hinted that this has been batted around behind closed doors, or if this is a “vision”?

B752OS

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:32 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

Do we know if there has been mention or discussion around a Terminal A expansion rather than A.net speculation? Have Massport, DL or anyone else ever hinted that this has been batted around behind closed doors, or if this is a “vision”?

The only concrete things that Massport has said is a connector between terminal A and B. Beyond that anything being thrown around this thread is pure speculation/guessing.

VS4ever

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:34 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
panamair wrote:

Everyone has interesting theories on how to handle it. Busing is definitely a short term, summer only option to be honest, can you imagine having to do that in 15 degrees in January? no thank you. That said, the City Flyer operation at AMS, who often have similar weather to BOS, albeit not quite as cold, seems to work very well, if you have the space, which 14/32 probably does. if you close 14/32, there's very quick access to the main runways from there, and if you handle it as a one way system, could work very nicely (that's what they do at AMS), pull in, load, unload, pull out. You could even revamp the old Eagle Terminal as a stop off point for that, with the weather scenario the best you can do is covered stairs and canopies to limit the exposure to the weather, might work with the more commuter type routes with RJ's.

The challenge is that Massport have their capital projects pretty much set out to 2025, so unless this becomes a priority or DL wants to stump up the cash won't be seeing anything before then as a start point. The big question is then what do you do with the South Cargo. 700m lbs+ passes through the airport annually, plenty of which comes through there. So if it was moved, where do you move it to? and if you removed it completely, would the revenue gained by adding the pax gates be higher than the revenue lost by the cargo?

Times a ticking for Massport by 2030 I think they are going to have to make some hard decisions, as the current footprint is only to cope with so much, even with the E expansion and upticks in aircraft size: 320 to 321, 190 to 220 etc.

B752OS

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

x1234 wrote:
DL said on the Q2 conference call the KE ICN-BOS flight was very successful. I wonder if it will upgrade to daily service soon!?

Direct quote: "As you know we, our partner Korean launched Korea to Boston this year on the 787, and it was an incredible success. So, they have been doing quite well on that, right. I think they will expand that service, as we move into next year."

FGITD

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I think south cargo is being somewhat incorrectly identified by many here.

FedEx is the most prominent user because they have airplanes parked out front.

But there's BA/AA, DL, Quantum, and a number of others based there as well. Pretty much all cargo that isn't UPS/DHL goes through those warehouses. Just DL alone for example, handles all DL flights, plus AF/KL/VS/AZ and I think even El Al and a few others. Simply put, if you're flying internationally out of E, strong chance that most of the holds under your feet are committed to cargo.

So it's not as simple as telling FX to beat it, we Need your space. You also have to provide a solution to pretty much every carrier, intl and domestic. And I think telling those carriers that cargo capacity is now limited in order to help delta expand will be a hard sell.

Busing to the j pad, 14/32 area in the summer actually is a decent idea. Pax take a shuttle bus out to the Eagles nest, wait around there, then take another bus to the airplane.

Not recommended in winter though. I spent more than a few winters out there, and while the view of the city is spectacular, no amount of canopy/cover is enough to block the wind that rolls in.

VS4ever

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 pm

FGITD wrote:

But there's BA/AA, DL, Quantum, and a number of others based there as well. Pretty much all cargo that isn't UPS/DHL goes through those warehouses. Just DL alone for example, handles all DL flights, plus AF/KL/VS/AZ and I think even El Al and a few others. Simply put, if you're flying internationally out of E, strong chance that most of the holds under your feet are committed to cargo.

So it's not as simple as telling FX to beat it, we Need your space. You also have to provide a solution to pretty much every carrier, intl and domestic. And I think telling those carriers that cargo capacity is now limited in order to help delta expand will be a hard sell.

Busing to the j pad, 14/32 area in the summer actually is a decent idea. Pax take a shuttle bus out to the Eagles nest, wait around there, then take another bus to the airplane.

Not recommended in winter though. I spent more than a few winters out there, and while the view of the city is spectacular, no amount of canopy/cover is enough to block the wind that rolls in.

Agreed, it would be brutal in winter weather, but let's not forget the capacity issues are in the summer rather than the winter, I mean 1.3m LESS pax passed through BOS in January 19 vs Aug 18, so the option would really only be needed from say May to October, but DL could make a nice little thing out of it, a special section for their commuters, almost make it a lounge like scenario where you can wait in comfort. As they always looking for a leg up on B6.. not a bad plan..
One question though. Like C with C27 and E with E8A and E1A, is there gate access to the ground in terminal A, we've never discussed it, nor has it really been required, so wondered if it even exists out there.

The Cargo piece as you note is in someways the simplest (it's the right space), but the most complicated (for the factors you note above) to resolve, As I said 700m lbs of Cargo runs through Logan every year, so you have to do something with it, FX, UPS, DHL or regular airline. So if you can't remove it, where do you move it too, it's not like there is a whole lot of space elsewhere to move it to, that's not going to cause an increase in the footprint, or get in the way of other operations. Let's also note even North Cargo is getting a bit of a beating because of the new expansion of E.

The reality is, without a radical plan that solves all those issues, it's going nowhere and it will remain as is.

airbazar

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:17 pm

FGITD wrote:

My understanding is that Summer actually has fewer flights than the Winter so this would definitely have to happen in Winter. Mind you that's not the same as number of passengers.
I've done Winter time busing at many cold European airports: Salzburg, Vienna, Frankfurt, LHR, etc. I don't really see a problem with it. Stairs are enclosed just like a jetway. The buses are heated. You basically step off the bus and onto the enclosed stairs. You're never exposed, not any more than when you're waiting in line to board at the end of the jetway because the aisle is clogged.
https://images.app.goo.gl/S3B84xCePUqDxCXJ6
There's also an option like this.
https://images.app.goo.gl/YvssA3SbCegajuGx6

VS4ever wrote:
One question though. Like C with C27 and E with E8A and E1A, is there gate access to the ground in terminal A, we've never discussed it, nor has it really been required, so wondered if it even exists out there.

IIRC, gates 10 and 11 used to be the "walk to your plane" gates. Those boarding bridges are relatively new.

FGITD

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:36 pm

A is a long way from home but I seem to remember there being gates with direct stair access. Not sure of the number though.

Covered air stairs are nice, but all service equipment have wind limits, and aside from catering trucks, stairs are usually one of the lower limits.

At any rate, the biggest problem is that you can't fuel out there. Not every flight Refuels at every stop, but it still adds complications

clrd4t8koff

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm

FGITD wrote:
A is a long way from home but I seem to remember there being gates with direct stair access. Not sure of the number though.

Covered air stairs are nice, but all service equipment have wind limits, and aside from catering trucks, stairs are usually one of the lower limits.

At any rate, the biggest problem is that you can't fuel out there. Not every flight Refuels at every stop, but it still adds complications

Before DL had a gate at A11 there used to be an escalator that went down and there was (I believe) two gates you would board CRJ/CR7/CR9's via the tarmac, so there was an option once upon a time. Now with a jetbridge there I'm not sure where in A they could do it.

B752OS

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:01 pm

FGITD wrote:

I agree - getting rid of the cargo area completely is a non-starter. If Massport were able to remove runway 14/32 and then move all of the current cargo facilities in its place, that may be an ideal solution - Logan keeps the cargo ops and also opens up more space to expand the passenger terminals.

VS4ever

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:39 pm

FGITD wrote:

Which brings me back to the Eagle Terminal, there are 4 slots there striped D1 to D4, they were obviously used in the past and must have had fueling access, you can refuel Fed Ex at their farthest slot for the Cargo piece, so I bet the folks at Massport could figure out how to extend that option to at least there. I could see doing it to 14/32 being a bit more tricky, they can do it in AMS, so i don't see why they can't figure it out at BOS. I get the wind aspect, but if we are running E series or smaller surely the wind limits wouldn't be quite as bad as if they were doing 320's or much larger aircraft. But hey you know way better than me, so I will defer to you on that one. :)

Anyway, if you COULD figure out that aspect, with the 4 striped spots next to the terminal and then a bunch on the jpad/middle of 14/32 you could actually build a sizeable operation out there. say 8 turns a day, you are probably able to run 50-60 flights a day from there. But I understand the potential constraints of doing that.

I took a view of google maps and i can't see any direct terminal access to the ground in A, except for maybe between A1 and A2 that would allow for buses. If you look at E8A, it has a special section striped for buses on it,

All this said, no plans before 2025, so we have time to post ad nauseum and see if Massport, Delta or their respective architects steal our ideas and implement them.

B752OS

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 pm

VS4ever wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Which brings me back to the Eagle Terminal, there are 4 slots there striped D1 to D4, they were obviously used in the past and must have had fueling access, you can refuel Fed Ex at their farthest slot for the Cargo piece, so I bet the folks at Massport could figure out how to extend that option to at least there. I could see doing it to 14/32 being a bit more tricky, they can do it in AMS, so i don't see why they can't figure it out at BOS. I get the wind aspect, but if we are running E series or smaller surely the wind limits wouldn't be quite as bad as if they were doing 320's or much larger aircraft. But hey you know way better than me, so I will defer to you on that one. :)

Anyway, if you COULD figure out that aspect, with the 4 striped spots next to the terminal and then a bunch on the jpad/middle of 14/32 you could actually build a sizeable operation out there. say 8 turns a day, you are probably able to run 50-60 flights a day from there. But I understand the potential constraints of doing that.

I took a view of google maps and i can't see any direct terminal access to the ground in A, except for maybe between A1 and A2 that would allow for buses. If you look at E8A, it has a special section striped for buses on it,

All this said, no plans before 2025, so we have time to post ad nauseum and see if Massport, Delta or their respective architects steal our ideas and implement them.

Oh you know they routinely trawl airliners.net for information. All of the armchair CEOs here that know how to run a major airline better than the people actually doing it provide a treasure trove of information for them to use when making key decisions.

VS4ever

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 pm

B752OS wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Oh you know they routinely trawl airliners.net for information. All of the armchair CEOs here that know how to run a major airline better than the people actually doing it provide a treasure trove of information for them to use when making key decisions.

Well I know Massport check, because they once noted a website I created and only posted on here, for a place to go to get info on BOS traffic. I am not saying for one moment that anything on here influences anything, clearly far from it, but they do check, a decent social media person would certainly be looking here, not for ideas, but for what people are talking about.

FGITD

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 pm

B752OS wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

That's actually exclusively how decisions are made. Just the other day the discussion was how to prepare terminal B for the inevitable introduction of the 757neo and if the DC-9max will be able to powerback from all gates

VS4ever

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 pm

So I have a question... I am updating some data on On-Time Performance, which i have previously posted, but am re-doing it. I have data that can detail performance data by flight number with the number of flights, the number of delays and the % OTP. My question is this, comparing 2 flights..

Flight #1, has 303 flights, 119 delays for an OTP of 60.73%, it has the most delays of all flights for this airline out of BOS
Flight #2 has 37 flights, 15 delays for an OTP of 59.46%, random example with a lower %

As a guide, this is a years worth of data to get to these points. but what i want to know, which one would you rather see, most delays or worst %, even if on only a relatively low number of flights

EK77WNH

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:57 am

Maybe there’s no correlation whatsoever, but every EK A380 used on the BOS Route has been one having the highest number of seats (14/76/426). This might mean the route is doing well enough with the A380 so that they continue use of it beyond the two trial periods already in the schedules.
(Formerly ChrisNH)

tlecam

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 pm

For me, I’d prefer the first.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

airbazar

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm

B752OS wrote:
The only concrete things that Massport has said is a connector between terminal A and B. Beyond that anything being thrown around this thread is pure speculation/guessing.

Indeed however, just about every "speculation/guess" that's been made on this forum over the past 10+ years has become reality or is about to become reality.
I think part of it has to do with the fact that there are so few options for Logan to expand and improve so everyone is pretty much thinking the same. It's just a matter of time and priorities. B6 having terminal C all to themselves, joining both sides of terminal B to add more gates, remodeling terminal D, the A380 gates, the terminal E expansion, the centralized car rental facility, the people mover, the air side connectors, etc... all of those were mere "speculations/guesses" at one point in the distant past. The beauty of the Internet is that you can search the archives and find this stuff :)
But something's gotta happen at terminal A. That place is way too cramped now so I can't imagine how bad it will be with 200 flights per day. I suspect that it will be the next major project. Either that or rebuilding the piers at terminal C. I still think that the best and quickest solution for A is to add a mini terminal with 6 gates in the old Eagle's nest area, after relocating the Fire Fighting HQ to the big open area near where they practice the fire drills.

VS4ever

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 pm

On-Time Performance: Apr 2019 Data
Hi all, a while back I created some OTP files focusing on outbound flights from BOS by the various airlines, the database I used from the T-100's was in it's first year, but now it has gone through a cycle and I can now do comparatives. Below are links to the various airlines and their data. Each file (with the exception of HA/F9) includes Month, Quarter (albeit it's the same as month), YTD, Year and Rolling analysis at a detail level along with a bunch of stats surrounding delays and the reasoning for them, (HA/F9 are new in 19 and so do not have year and rolling comparatives to work with). Please note the data is only available for domestic only, so a chunk of B6 is missing as a result along with a few others.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

AA: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eja1g ... z1EHl7ScMN
AS: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Go2pl ... znYiFilR29
B6: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a91Xd ... dXsFqOwWk1
DL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yCT6d ... W43IGfjZgE
HA/F9: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11lXkF ... npR16OXX9u
NK: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IruTF ... S9x_An_XYH
UA: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iq-Jd ... N6NFY_jqhI
WN: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lNpDP ... 50Cxd7gwco

Enjoy..

B6BOSfan

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Reading all this discussion, I have a couple of questions:

- If you're adding "bus" gates at the end of Runway 14-32, where's the room to de-ice planes in the winter? I seem to recall that's where that work is done when needed.

- Is Delta counting some of its international partner airlines in that "200" count? I was stunned to see how quiet Terminal A was the Tuesday before the 4th of July around 5:30 - 6 p.m. vs. what I normally see at the JetBlue terminal at that time.

- MassPort's long term capital budget through 2025 is submitted, but could they possibly expand the airport land out over transportation way and hotel drive, especially since toll plazas are no longer needed for the Mass. Pike?

I came back to Boston last Tuesday on Delta's Heathrow flight. Several people around me were connecting at Logan Airport, including a couple to Indianapolis. They didn't realize until the flight that when they got to Boston, they'd have to switch buildings. I had suggested to them that once they cleared security, they should cut through the parking lot directly to Terminal A. They thought they'd have to trudge around all 3 terminals! That being said, the connection part of Delta's Boston strategy will be their biggest challenge -- and one JetBlue should capitalize.

pitbosflyer

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:34 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
I came back to Boston last Tuesday on Delta's Heathrow flight. Several people around me were connecting at Logan Airport, including a couple to Indianapolis. They didn't realize until the flight that when they got to Boston, they'd have to switch buildings. I had suggested to them that once they cleared security, they should cut through the parking lot directly to Terminal A. They thought they'd have to trudge around all 3 terminals! That being said, the connection part of Delta's Boston strategy will be their biggest challenge -- and one JetBlue should capitalize.

I would hope Delta has some pretty good signage set up for those transferring from E to A. I recently watched a flight review from a youtuber that connected thru BOS. He got lost trying to find his way to A, even though he was following the signage. He finished his video recommending people don't make international connection in BOS.....not a great look for sure. Obviously its much easier to connect between B6 and their international partners. But I really don't think its that bad with DL either (I could be wrong). I've been thru some pretty painful JFK international connections and no one ever tells people to not connect there. DTW on the other hand has always been crazy smooth in my experience, they really do a good job.. (also I hope mentioning DTW doesn't summon the crazies).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos