iyerhari

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:33 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
The telling thing is that the sum of the AA+US parts shrank in Boston once they got together. Like, 2+1=0.75.

Isn't this the story of AA at JFK too? If you look at the passenger stats probably until 2000, AA was a market leader till such a time they gradually started ceding the market to B6 and then DL? I suppose AA wanted to focus on hubs where they have clear domination vs. fighting in a fragmented market like Logan i suppose.

VS11 wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
I’m not here to validate this thesis, but FORBES is asking whether AA let Boston ‘Get away from them.’

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... ton-logan/

Surprisingly good article. And the answer to the rhetorical title is: No, AA did not (miss a chance at Boston Logan). People like to whine about AA and Parker but reality is that nationally people are moving south - particularly Dallas and Charlotte and that’s where the beef is and will continue to be.

More Americans Are Moving West and South
https://www.voanews.com/usa/all-about-a ... -and-south

By that standards, all international carriers should be flocking to CLT, etc. and BOS should be having retrenchments.

boeingbus

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:02 pm

VS11 wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
I’m not here to validate this thesis, but FORBES is asking whether AA let Boston ‘Get away from them.’

More Americans Are Moving West and South
https://www.voanews.com/usa/all-about-a ... -and-south

True, but those Americans that move south are typically in the lower middle class or are retired looking for the sun. Those who move south are being replaced with transplants from all over the world with lots of money. BOS may be slow-growing population-wise compared to the southern cities but the actual growth in BOS is the envy of most states and countries of the world. These new transplants have good-paying jobs, not a drain to the system and have lots of money, They travel and spend on premium seats. It's the quality and not the quantity. I think BOS is in a very good space for continued future growth. I am glad DELTA is beating AA to the punch. AA is horrid and DELTA Is a much more premium airline IMO.
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

ChrisNH38

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:51 pm

I think AA had this mindset that BOS was too close to JFK, and ‘us people’ could connect to the ROW from there. This, after B6 said, “Uh, NOPE. Boston is its own market, and a strong and balanced one at that.”
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

VS4ever

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:03 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
I think AA had this mindset that BOS was too close to JFK, and ‘us people’ could connect to the ROW from there. This, after B6 said, “Uh, NOPE. Boston is its own market, and a strong and balanced one at that.”

and then DL said the same thing and now look at them.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

mikegigs

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 pm

VS4ever wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

and then DL said the same thing and now look at them.

Also agree with this interpretation of AA's mindset, but I think additionally AA got lazy with both BOS and JFK: "too many other airlines there, too hard to compete, let's phone it in and focus on where nobody's gonna challenge us", which is too bad.

I'm really not complaining though, as any reduction in AA flying is an opportunity for B6 and DL which (in my humble opinion) are much better airlines... though this isn't the thread to have that argument ;)
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

ChrisNH38

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm

I grew up in an age where there were the ‘Big Three’ and then everybody else. The Big Three being TW, UA, and AA. They were ‘network’ carriers and all the others, for the most part, were more ‘regional’ in reach. So I’m one of those who now sees sort of ‘weakened’ AA and UA (as far as BOS goes) and realizing that it’s no big deal. Now, no one can say what the future holds for B6. But in the same way, no one can say that DL isn’t the strongest out there. The Boston metro area has incredible strength in terms of demographics, diversity, and economic balance.

S0Y

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:

ha, ..................and then AA said JFK was too close to PHL, and ‘us people’ could connect to the ROW from there.

AA does not have the vision or leadership to compete with DL or B6

VS11

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 am

airbazar wrote:

But has has been said here on a.net so many times, population size means nothing.
If you look at air traffic growth over the years by total boardings, I don't really see a pattern that shows airports in the South and West are growing at a faster pace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ted_States

But profitability is growing at a faster pace, and one could argue it is the more important data point. Quoting from the article:
"Isom said hubs in Charlotte, Dallas and Washington National are the airline’s most profitable, producing pre-tax margins of 13.1%, ahead of the system average of 7.5%."
In fact, nothing unusual about this. More people chasing the same number of flights/seats results in higher yields. Better ROI.

iyerhari wrote:
By that standards, all international carriers should be flocking to CLT, etc. and BOS should be having retrenchments.

I do not think so. Boston is an attractive market for sure but just because it adds value to an international carrier's network does not mean that every domestic airline should be having 150 daily departures from Boston, or that if they did they would be making money.

boeingbus wrote:

True, but those Americans that move south are typically in the lower middle class or are retired looking for the sun. Those who move south are being replaced with transplants from all over the world with lots of money. BOS may be slow-growing population-wise compared to the southern cities but the actual growth in BOS is the envy of most states and countries of the world. These new transplants have good-paying jobs, not a drain to the system and have lots of money, They travel and spend on premium seats. It's the quality and not the quantity. I think BOS is in a very good space for continued future growth. I am glad DELTA is beating AA to the punch. AA is horrid and DELTA Is a much more premium airline IMO.

Boston's market may be attractive but that does not mean:
1. It is sufficiently profitable for every market participant (e.g. Southwest), or
2. That heavy investment in it is warranted (e.g. Delta), or
3. There are no other more profitable markets (e.g. American).

Capital expenditure at every company is like triaging in an emergency room - some cases are more critical than others. Boston is definitely NOT under-served by AA despite AA not chasing a market dominant position. It is difficult to see how having 150-200 daily AA departures is going to make AA more profitable especially with JFK and PHL nearby. I don't think they feel like they are missing out on Boston. And maybe once they straighten out other priorities they will focus on growth in Boston.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong but the jury is still out how profitable DL's build-up in Boston has been.

dtremit

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:20 am

VS11 wrote:
1. It is sufficiently profitable for every market participant (e.g. Southwest), or

Capital expenditure at every company is like triaging in an emergency room - some cases are more critical than others. Boston is definitely NOT under-served by AA despite AA not chasing a market dominant position. It is difficult to see how having 150-200 daily AA departures is going to make AA more profitable especially with JFK and PHL nearby. I don't think they feel like they are missing out on Boston. And maybe once they straighten out other priorities they will focus on growth in Boston.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong but the jury is still out how profitable DL's build-up in Boston has been.

You're probably right that the success of DL's efforts in Boston aren't certain yet. But AA didn't take the chance -- and cut a lot of BOS routes that seem to be making money for B6 and DL. By the time they "straighten out other priorities," they're likely to have lost so much ground in BOS that they won't have much opportunity to retrench.

In the short term, sure -- AA can make more money growing hub operations in DCA and CLT and DFW than by flying point to point from BOS. But ultimately, those hub operations -- particularly DCA and CLT -- are dependent on passengers originating somewhere else. In BOS, AA's cuts have made them an unattractive option for anyone not frequently traveling to AA hubs, and in the end I expect it'll impact their "cash cow" hub routes as well.

We've already seen them try and fail to compete for premium traffic to LAX. I think AA could eventually see themselves with third place yields on BOS-DCA since they're no longer an attractive carrier for many heavy travelers based here. (Anecdotally, I know a number of AA enthusiasts here who are very excited about DL's entry onto that route.) Likewise, what incentive does anyone here not loyal to AA have to connect to Europe in JFK or PHL?

ChrisNH38

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:39 am

Boston is growing its own tentacles to places around the world via foreign flag carriers that the need to ‘connect’ anywhere is lessening with each passing year.

VS11

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:23 pm

dtremit wrote:
VS11 wrote:

You're probably right that the success of DL's efforts in Boston aren't certain yet. But AA didn't take the chance -- and cut a lot of BOS routes that seem to be making money for B6 and DL. By the time they "straighten out other priorities," they're likely to have lost so much ground in BOS that they won't have much opportunity to retrench.

In the short term, sure -- AA can make more money growing hub operations in DCA and CLT and DFW than by flying point to point from BOS. But ultimately, those hub operations -- particularly DCA and CLT -- are dependent on passengers originating somewhere else. In BOS, AA's cuts have made them an unattractive option for anyone not frequently traveling to AA hubs, and in the end I expect it'll impact their "cash cow" hub routes as well.

We've already seen them try and fail to compete for premium traffic to LAX. I think AA could eventually see themselves with third place yields on BOS-DCA since they're no longer an attractive carrier for many heavy travelers based here. (Anecdotally, I know a number of AA enthusiasts here who are very excited about DL's entry onto that route.) Likewise, what incentive does anyone here not loyal to AA have to connect to Europe in JFK or PHL?

I agree there is a risk of customer erosion - I myself am thinking of switching to DL after I cash in my AA miles. However, I don't think the situation is very dire as overall AA still offers lots of choice at competitive rates - the BA JV offers BA's wide network to Europe and beyond, and AA has been adding new destinations from PHL. Also, they did order 50 A321 XLRs which would be perfect for routes out of Boston so I am far from writing them off.

adamh8297

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm

VS11 wrote:
dtremit wrote:
VS11 wrote:

I agree there is a risk of customer erosion - I myself am thinking of switching to DL after I cash in my AA miles. However, I don't think the situation is very dire as overall AA still offers lots of choice at competitive rates - the BA JV offers BA's wide network to Europe and beyond, and AA has been adding new destinations from PHL. Also, they did order 50 A321 XLRs which would be perfect for routes out of Boston so I am far from writing them off.

Disclaimer: I am of the belief the only way you should redeem points is via international long-haul J or F (B6 doesn't count since all redemptions are based on flight costs)

Being able to redeem on LA, CX and JL is highly valuable in BOS too.

Overall AS program has the best value (50K miles for one-way J on CX!!!! and you can redeem/earn on EK/HU/KE/FI/EI/LY/BA/LA as well). If I was a coast-to-coast frequent flier I would be in AS Mileage Plan. I've never seen a no annual fee offer on one of their credit cards though.

Finally Skymiles just isn't that good but it seems easy to obtain miles. Mileage Plus has a lot of availability too with LH/LX/TK but the program keeps getting devalued.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Dieuwer

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:48 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Mileage Plus has a lot of availability too with LH/LX/TK but the program keeps getting devalued.

Mileage Plus DOES NOT have a lot of availability in J with LH/LX/TK. Most of the time you only see J on TP if you are looking for BOS-Europe.

VS4ever

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:05 am

Q1 International from T-100, good, bad and ugly (and there's a couple of those)

Moral of the story here, it's Q1, loads are always going to be lower, just by nature, plenty of capacity increases/less cancellations, and more passengers riding in many places, but capacity has definitely outweighed passengers, even with the mostly record numbers (with the exception of Canada) that Massport have posted. I'll post the file if folks want to look at the specific numbers, but overall, not a bad set of results. Q2 is going to get really interesting, with KL, KE, DL, DY all increasing service to AMS, ICN, LIS, EDI, FCO and MAD respectively, sadly won't know the full view of that until nearly Christmas.

Asia,
Too early for ICN,
CX held firm at 90.2% loads for the quarter flew 753 more pax, but capacity was up 1,100,
NRT is doing well, up 4% to 84.2% with nearly 2,000 more pax flying in the 3 months. which considering there's no real capacity option to increase right now, is impressive.
PEK - not great, capacity cut back by 15,387 seats, and 12,470 drop in pax, for an effective drop of 1.0% to 78.1%
PVG - not great either, increase of 11,025 seats, but only 7,612 increase in pax dropping loads to 73.5%, 2.6% down

Canada
The WS effect well and truly underway, with big drops of 2,316, (YHZ), 11,270 (YUL) and 2,591 (YYZ) , dropping more than gains by PD 1,740 and 0.5% loads and KV (Sky regional), picking up some of the market by grabbing about 5,100 for YUL, but nowhere near enough, so Canada drops by over 10,000 for the quarter, a trend that continues per the Massport reports in the future months.

Caribbean
Some routes are too small to report, however the bigger ones went as follows:
AUA - DL took a bit of market share from B6, logging 3,944 pax on 4,395 seats for 89.7% loads, B6 increased their numbers by 16,478, but loads dropped by 3.9% overall.
BDA - small movements on this one, but one of the worst routes for both DL and B6 with Mid 50%'s average for the quarter. B6 hurt by adding capacity of 1,920 seats, , but number of pax dropped by 120 and loads fell to 51.6%
HAV - 2,400 pax on 3,840 seats for 62.6%, however March was 77.6%, so things are moving up a bit.
NAS - B6 increased capacity by over 11,000 seats, but only mustered an additional 7,800 pax to drop their loads by 6% to 80.1%
PAP - Big increase in capacity here by 3,300 seats, 1,300 pax meant a drop of nearly 20% in load factor, not sure this one worked.
PUJ - B6 took another hit here on loads, 9,100 extra seats, ,7,000 extra pax for a 4.8% drop. meanwhile DL and AA, who are offering a lot less in the way of capacity (essentially 1 weekly) both increased their numbers in percentage terms, despite combining for only 600 pax increase.
SDQ - another load hit here 6,500 increase in capacity, 2,960 extra pax for a 7.1% reduction to 80%
SJU - continues to rebound a bit 10,000 increase in capacity with 8,800 increase in pax and a 0.6% increase to 84.9%
STI - another big hit here 9,100 increase in capacity but only 4,300 pax for an 11% drop to 75%
SXM - the return to the show provided 3,900 pax for 86.6%, way down from the 2017 numbers, but nice to see it back on the rotation again.

Central America
MEX - continues to struggle 56.8% for the quarter, big increase in capacity due to the 320's being used, however only around 500 more pax for the quarter. March was 66.3%, means Jan/Feb were horrible.
PTY - held it's own despite the continuing capacity increase slight drop by 2.3% with nearly 2,000 more pax flying
SAL - 75.8% on this route with nearly 12,000 through the door.

Europe -
AMS - slight surprise here with 2,100 less pax flying the route 2.5% reduction in loads to 79.1%
BCN - settling in nicely in the winter months 78.6% loads on 18,761 pax.
CDG - the incumbents both increased pax counts, AF (4,580), DL (622), DY came in with an additional 16,700 in the market for a 71.5% load, equivalent to DL but around 50% of the flights.
DUB - EI gained an extra 7.000 pax during the quarter for a 4.7% increase in loads to 84.8%
FCO - nice job by AZ given all their troubles an additional 1,700 pax for an 83.9% load
FRA - increase of 1,450 pax but overall a sluggish 75,6% load, albeit 0.5% up over the prior year.
KEF - enough has been written about WW, so won't go into that. Their last reports ended up at 69.1% loads, but it is abundently clear that FI did not take up the slack, KEF overall was down nearly 20,000 over 2018 and FI was only up 1,600, the models were very different and it's not transferred to FI in any meaningful amount.
LGW - move to daily over last year, 8,300 additional pax and managed 80% loads. However Jan/Feb were low, because March was 89.1% with around 19,000 total pax.
LHR - BA dropped around 1,400 pax and loads down to 71.5%,
DL increased pax count by 2,800, but with a capacity increase of 7,000 seats dropped their loads by 4.2% to 58.6%.
VS increased by 1,200 but also increased capacity by 3,500 and dropped to 64.8%
LIS- TP dropped 5.3% in terms of loads as 2,500 less pax on the route and this is before DL started in May.
MAD - capacity increased by 11,000 as IB went year round, increased of 5,700, which dropped overall loads to 66.5%
MUC - increase of 4,100 pax, above the 2,800 increase in capacity to reach 74.8% for the quarter
PDL - transition to lower capacity really helped with 2,600 reduction in seats and 1,050 increase in pax for a 14.7% increase in loads to 82.9%

Middle East
DOH - interesting one, flew the 773 for Q1, with a whopping 14,066 increase in seats over 2018, pulled in 8.800 additional pax for a load of 73.9%, which was only 3.1% down on prior year, considering how rough that could have been, worked out ok for them. March was 73%,
DXB - dropped 3,400 pax in Q1 vs 2018 for a 6.3% drop in loads to 81.2%
IST - dropped 1,600 pax but 2,600 seats which converted into a slight increase of 1.4% to 81.5%
TLV - another interesting one, flipped from a 763 to a 772 with a nearly 4,000 count increase in seats, (217 to 275 average) , an additional 2,400 pax for a 75.7% load, which was a 3.7% drop from the prior year despite the big increase in capacity.

South America
BOG - drop of 3.7% yoy, but a 6,000 increase in seats with a 4,190 increase in pax for 77.4% overall.
GRU - 79,6% for the quarter, with 17,659 on board.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

tphuang

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:23 am

dtremit wrote:
VS11 wrote:

That doesn't match the yield numbers I've been posting. In many routes where AA quit, there were actually leading in yield like BOS-PIT/BUF. B6 simply had lower cost on those routes and DL has been willing to take huge losses on them. There is not a chance AA will be third place yields on BOS-DCA given their market share at DCA and their superior schedule. DL at the current time is basically only making money on a couple of hub routes and a couple of other ones where it faces no B6 competition. That should be expected given how early this is in their buildup, but let's not overstate their performance.

On a broad sense, I think it's too early to write AA off at BOS. They still have almost as many gates as DL. Their domestic market share is about the same despite flying to much fewer destinations. They have much better schedule to most of the major business markets out of BOS. They have stronger international partners out of BOS than DL (BA/IB/JL/CX vs VS/AF/KL/KE). Hard to see how BOS is not a very profitable station for them given that it's down to mostly hub flying. They can build back up their operation at some point down the line. They are wise right now to not get into this B6/DL bloodbath.

FGITD

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:41 am

I think AZ is going to surprise a few out of BOS. Just speaking anecdotally, it seems every time word went out that carrier x was cancelled or oversold, AZ was off limits due to their own bookings. But who knows how that translates to people in seats.

I've alluded to it previously, but I've been privy to some summer 2020 plans and very basic ideas. General thoughts seem to be that next summer will be one of the more challenging due to the phase of construction the airport will be in.

I think the most fun way to phrase it is this: addition, not expansion.

And that's all I've got on that!

VS4ever

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:10 am

FGITD wrote:
I think AZ is going to surprise a few out of BOS. Just speaking anecdotally, it seems every time word went out that carrier x was cancelled or oversold, AZ was off limits due to their own bookings. But who knows how that translates to people in seats.

I've alluded to it previously, but I've been privy to some summer 2020 plans and very basic ideas. General thoughts seem to be that next summer will be one of the more challenging due to the phase of construction the airport will be in.

Damn you and your teasing posts, but I completely understand, however it is clear to me, that if room can be found for earlier slots, there are a couple of routes that could possibly handle an extra daily during the summer and some of the x weekly could push more frequency. I know, I know watch this space. I will be keen to see progress when i get back from AMS on 9/29 into E, we signed up for the mobile passport, will have to see if that has a material impact on progress through CBP etc. As it, I will also be checking out the progress on A18 to A22, when i go to AMS on DL on Thursday, the Mrs. may not be so impressed, but it's my vacation too.

adamh8297

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:27 am

VS4ever wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Damn you and your teasing posts, but I completely understand, however it is clear to me, that if room can be found for earlier slots, there are a couple of routes that could possibly handle an extra daily during the summer and some of the x weekly could push more frequency. I know, I know watch this space. I will be keen to see progress when i get back from AMS on 9/29 into E, we signed up for the mobile passport, will have to see if that has a material impact on progress through CBP etc. As it, I will also be checking out the progress on A18 to A22, when i go to AMS on DL on Thursday, the Mrs. may not be so impressed, but it's my vacation too.

If Norwegian were to dissolve that could free up space though.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

airbazar

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:01 pm

VS11 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

But has has been said here on a.net so many times, population size means nothing.
If you look at air traffic growth over the years by total boardings, I don't really see a pattern that shows airports in the South and West are growing at a faster pace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ted_States

But profitability is growing at a faster pace, and one could argue it is the more important data point. Quoting from the article:
"Isom said hubs in Charlotte, Dallas and Washington National are the airline’s most profitable, producing pre-tax margins of 13.1%, ahead of the system average of 7.5%."
In fact, nothing unusual about this. More people chasing the same number of flights/seats results in higher yields. Better ROI.

People have been moving South and West since the day the first Europeans landed in Cape Cod. This is nothing new. the money is still in the Northeast :)
Fair enough. It's a business model that they chose to be in. But I should point out that those airports are hubs. The margins are always higher at hubs. BOS is not a hub. Not in the same way that those airports are. It never will be because of its location. But that doesn't mean it's not an important business center and a money making airport.
However, what AA has that no other carrier has is the location of their hubs are all in really important business centers: ORD, JFK, PHL, CLT, DCA, MIA, DFW, LAX. About the only significant business center that they are missing is SFO. For that reason they can afford to make BOS just a spoke off of their hubs. Other airlines don't have that luxury. UA comes close which is also why they too only serve their hubs from BOS.

FGITD wrote:

AZ has 1 big problem: Their traffic is highly seasonal and to get to their hub you have to overfly most of Western Europe and big important competing partner hubs like AMS and CDG. Their future will depend heavily on whether DL becomes an investor, I think but even then I think Alitalia will be to the joint venture what Austrian is to their respective JV: just a poor sibling :)

VS4ever

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
FGITD wrote:

If Norwegian were to dissolve that could free up space though.

Unlikely to happen for right now given this mornings news, they have been given the breathing space they wanted

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/1-no ... 34871.html

dtremit

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 am

VS11 wrote:

AA has a lot more to offer a frequent international traveler in BOS than a frequent domestic one. I know a lot of the latter, many of whom were US elites before the merger, and most of them are finding it hard to justify flying AA when DL / B6 offer so many nonstops. Availability of BOS-DCA and BOS-ORD on DL has been key for several of them. (It doesn't help that with flights as full as they are, misconnects have gotten really painful.)

I'd love to see AA add international flights out of Boston, but given they gave their last LHR frequency to BA years ago, I am not holding my breath.

airbazar

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:53 am

dtremit wrote:
AA has a lot more to offer a frequent international traveler in BOS than a frequent domestic one. I know a lot of the latter, many of whom were US elites before the merger, and most of them are finding it hard to justify flying AA when DL / B6 offer so many nonstops. Availability of BOS-DCA and BOS-ORD on DL has been key for several of them. (It doesn't help that with flights as full as they are, misconnects have gotten really painful.)

That's true although if you fly TATL often but London is not your destination, I find *A and SK better to be better from BOS than OW.
I was originally a TWA FF and became an AA FF thru the acquisition. But my intl travels don't take me to England so I became a *A FF too. I eventually dropped AA for good when they stopped flying the one route that I flew for business the most which was BOS-RDU. To this day I still lean towards *A although Delta's recent BOS expansion is starting to give me something to think about. At the end of the day it comes down to the airline that serves the destinations that I fly to the most and for that that is still *A.

jworks158

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm

PSA flying CRJ200 on the DCA-BOS shuttle route today
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie

tlecam

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:39 pm

I fly ST primarily because I lived in NYC for several years and we still have a studio there. I find Skyteam covers my international needs well, although India was dicey for a bit. I was *A for many years when living in SF, but when I moved back to the east coast, they were rough for me - especially because I hate EWR. *A is exceptional for international travel. I hated it even when I was GS on UA. Hated it when CO was ST. Just never had good luck there.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

NickolayAv

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Seems to be that DL is going use the A220 on BOS-BNA as of May 1, 2020. On the 7:30 AM and 3:50 PM flights out of BOS, except Saturdays where it is only on the 3:50 PM flight. .Also, this means that BNA will see mainline flights from BOS and not just the regional service. Where else could we see DL add A220 service from BOS?
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

13ifs40

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Good afternoon all

Just want to give all the Boston spotters a heads up EL AL brought in a 787-9 today instead of the 777-200

13ifs40

Dieuwer

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Where else could we see DL add A220 service from BOS?

BOS-SNN? :D

I think the A220 will be a bigger deal for JetBlue. That aircraft opens up a lot of "thin-ish" medium-distance international routes. For example to MEX and Central America. Even Northern South-America is in range.
Last edited by Dieuwer on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VS4ever

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:

Actually it would make a great winter swap for DL on BOS-DUB to make that route year round. i am not sure BOS-SNN needs extra capacity even with a 220 :), with EI posting loads of 80% plus for Q1, there might be a gap there for some additional service.

Dieuwer

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:04 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:

Actually it would make a great winter swap for DL on BOS-DUB to make that route year round. i am not sure BOS-SNN needs extra capacity even with a 220 :), with EI posting loads of 80% plus for Q1, there might be a gap there for some additional service.

You think DUB-BOS (3,000 nmi) in winter will work, WITHOUT weight penalties?

RL757PVD

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm

You guys have lost your marbles if you think these smaller aircraft will fly these long and thin routes simply because they are capable of it. Here's the reality... the math doesn't work for low number of seats and long-haul unless it comes at a premium. They also certainly won't tie up 20+ hours of pilot block time (10 each e/t) to fly 100 people each way.

Its the same reason why DL doesn't fly BOS-SAT with an E-175 or why AA wont launch PVD-DFW with an E-175. They would need $500 r/t just to break even and with the competitive pressure from other airlines and :LCC's, long haul low cost on an A220 just isn't going to work.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

RL757PVD

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Here's what the math looks like on a 110 seat A220 flying BOS-YVR
110 seats x 2,500 miles = 275,000 ASMs
Assuming a CASM of $0.10 thats $27.500 for the flight
85% load factor means an average fare of $292 each way
Throw in taxes and fees and you are talking $700 r/t needed to make it work.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

VS4ever

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

You think DUB-BOS (3,000 nmi) in winter will work, WITHOUT weight penalties?

Notwithstanding the points just made in the previous comments, which are very valid, BOS-DUB would have a dram sight better chance of working than BOS-SNN the markets are like comparing BOS with MHT, there’s a reason why DUB is on a 330 and SNN will be a 321 on EI, I know you were 1/2 kidding with the original comment, but even with the metrics shown above DUB would be a better prospect than SNN.

As for $700 return, EI as we know isn’t cheap and DL isn’t going for bargain basement fares, so while all of this is in the realms of highly unlikely. I still maintain that if it was an option and that’s a big if, DUB would win almost every time.

mikegigs

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 am

Looks like DL still isn't using gates A18 thru A22. Driving by the airport yesterday around 5:00, I thought I saw a DL plane parked at A21 or A20 but upon looking at the Departures schedule on Massport's website, it doesn't look like DL has any flights departing from those gates. I didn't expect DL to have a plane parked there at that time, but perhaps it was an int'l 757 going out later in the evening.
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400

airbazar

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:24 pm

mikegigs wrote:
Looks like DL still isn't using gates A18 thru A22. Driving by the airport yesterday around 5:00, I thought I saw a DL plane parked at A21 or A20 but upon looking at the Departures schedule on Massport's website, it doesn't look like DL has any flights departing from those gates. I didn't expect DL to have a plane parked there at that time, but perhaps it was an int'l 757 going out later in the evening.

I drove by at 9PM last Saturday and every single gate was occupied with a DL tail. It was quite a sight to behold :)

VS4ever

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:25 pm

mikegigs wrote:

Rest easy folks, I am leaving for AMS on DL this afternoon and will make a point to walk down to A18-22 and see what's going on. Once i have a view I will let you know.

VS4ever

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:14 pm

VS4ever wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

Rest easy folks, I am leaving for AMS on DL this afternoon and will make a point to walk down to A18-22 and see what's going on. Once i have a view I will let you know.

Ok here’s the scoop, currently sitting at Harpoon outside A20. And basically all the Delta signage, kiosks and the like are there, but they have the whole boarding area blocked off except for access to said Harpoon restaurant.

Looks very nice for when they do start using it, but not ready for prime time yet.

jworks158

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:25 pm

VS4ever wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

Ok here’s the scoop, currently sitting at Harpoon outside A20. And basically all the Delta signage, kiosks and the like are there, but they have the whole boarding area blocked off except for access to said Harpoon restaurant.

Looks very nice for when they do start using it, but not ready for prime time yet.

Is it the old signage/kiosks like the rest of the terminal? Or the new signage/kiosks?
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)

VS4ever

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 pm

jworks158 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Is it the old signage/kiosks like the rest of the terminal? Or the new signage/kiosks?

Hope the links work

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NKCLLq ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WkOc8Q ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IIyVph ... p=drivesdk

jworks158

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 pm

VS4ever wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Hope the links work

That is a further updated version that I haven't seen yet! Less then a year old!

mikegigs

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 pm

VS4ever wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Hope the links work

VS4ever saving the day! Those podiums look very nice. It would be cool if they slowly replaced all the others around the terminal with those. Kinda surprised they've been taking this long to set up these gates, but I suppose they aren't truly necessary until the DCA, EWR, and ORD flights start at the end of the month.

Thanks again!

VS4ever

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 pm

mikegigs wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

Hope the links work

VS4ever saving the day! Those podiums look very nice. It would be cool if they slowly replaced all the others around the terminal with those. Kinda surprised they've been taking this long to set up these gates, but I suppose they aren't truly necessary until the DCA, EWR, and ORD flights start at the end of the month.

Thanks again!

Ha thank you, definitely looks better than the other side 13-17, I’m sitting across from A15 right now and it definitely has a less modern feel to it here. Thankfully (touch wood ) my flight is supposed to be leaving on time. Then I get to witness the DL mini hub that is AMS, widebodies galore there.

massachoicetts

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:50 pm

To continue Good news... Delta has announced new Boston - Nashville service, effective May 1 2020!

It runs 33x a week, 4 times a day, and 2 times a day on Saturday. Two of the flights will be on an A220 too. Cant wait to see what the next domestic route will be... maybe SAT or SDF?

Link: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2020/

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:41 pm

BOS-SAT is far enough to require mainline. That looks like a tough putt to me, with DTW-SAT at just 3x CR9.

tphuang

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:44 pm

massachoicetts wrote:
To continue Good news... Delta has announced new Boston - Nashville service, effective May 1 2020!

It runs 33x a week, 4 times a day, and 2 times a day on Saturday. Two of the flights will be on an A220 too. Cant wait to see what the next domestic route will be... maybe SAT or SDF?

Link: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2020/

no frequency changed here. They just switched 2 flights to A220 to better compete on cost vs the A320/B737 that B6/WN operates.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:06 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
BOS-SAT is far enough to require mainline. That looks like a tough putt to me, with DTW-SAT at just 3x CR9.

Require mainline? Delta flew SEA-FAI on the E75 which is a distance of 2,146 miles. BOS-SAT is only 2,045 miles. It wouldn’t require mainline, though they might prefer that.

mikegigs

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1431599

Seems like a lot of you guys have seen this thread already, but for those who haven't, there are rumors that DL will make new route announcements next week. Some say BCN and TLV. Keep in mind there is no source for this and that while Ed Bastian is indeed coming to BOS next week, many think it's for the opening of the new gates at Terminal A alongside the governor. The poster on the thread who said with confidence that it will be BCN and TLV is the same guy who started the BA TATL Expansion thread a few weeks ago that turned out to be nothing: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430085&p=21622427#p21622427

More expansion would be great, however I'm very doubtful this will happen. We shall see though!

airbazar

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:57 am

mikegigs wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1431599

Seems like a lot of you guys have seen this thread already, but for those who haven't, there are rumors that DL will make new route announcements next week. Some say BCN and TLV. Keep in mind there is no source for this and that while Ed Bastian is indeed coming to BOS next week, many think it's for the opening of the new gates at Terminal A alongside the governor. The poster on the thread who said with confidence that it will be BCN and TLV is the same guy who started the BA TATL Expansion thread a few weeks ago that turned out to be nothing: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430085&p=21622427#p21622427

More expansion would be great, however I'm very doubtful this will happen. We shall see though!

I'm not that doubtful. The timing is absolutely perfect which coincides with the S20 schedule announcement. The CEO and Governor wouldn't both be showing up if this was just the unveiling of a fresh coat of paint on a few more gates. I suspect that on top of new routes we might also find out about terminal expansion/improvement plans.

VS4ever

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:49 pm

airbazar wrote:
mikegigs wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1431599

I'm not that doubtful. The timing is absolutely perfect which coincides with the S20 schedule announcement. The CEO and Governor wouldn't both be showing up if this was just the unveiling of a fresh coat of paint on a few more gates. I suspect that on top of new routes we might also find out about terminal expansion/improvement plans.

The gates I believe will be ready for next week, given the state of readiness I saw in my photos, a lot of it is wiring the computers in and stuff, but the infrastructure should be ready. Alas I won’t see it on my return as I come back to E.

As for the routes, they do seem a bit odd for choices if true, BCN would fit the model of taking a successful
Route and adding capacity. Like they did with DUB and LIS and are going to do with LGW, Level have done well on that route, so worth taking a punt and continue the other model of being the JFK slot reliever hub for TATL.
TLV is a head scratcher, sure they could run it, but LY have finally found their feet and loads are increasing and have over time, but I fear if DL go for this, LY might just pull back and I see other markets that might be better, ATH is one that as been mentioned numerous times and anything out of JFK could be considered a candidate for a BOS sibling or replacement.

Interesting times to see this growth, maybe TLV is a market DL can see as working and they are way smarter than me, but like others. I’m struggling with it, if indeed it’s true, which I guess we will find out next week

ASA

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:54 pm

VS4ever wrote:

The gates I believe will be ready for next week, given the state of readiness I saw in my photos, a lot of it is wiring the computers in and stuff, but the infrastructure should be ready. Alas I won’t see it on my return as I come back to E.

As for the routes, they do seem a bit odd for choices if true, BCN would fit the model of taking a successful
Route and adding capacity. Like they did with DUB and LIS and are going to do with LGW, Level have done well on that route, so worth taking a punt and continue the other model of being the JFK slot reliever hub for TATL.
TLV is a head scratcher, sure they could run it, but LY have finally found their feet and loads are increasing and have over time, but I fear if DL go for this, LY might just pull back and I see other markets that might be better, ATH is one that as been mentioned numerous times and anything out of JFK could be considered a candidate for a BOS sibling or replacement.

Interesting times to see this growth, maybe TLV is a market DL can see as working and they are way smarter than me, but like others. I’m struggling with it, if indeed it’s true, which I guess we will find out next week

ATH would be a great addition ... it is the largest unserved TATL market, right?

Also, what do you think of MXP? While AZ serves FCO, could DL pick that up?

All the best to DL for expanding BOS - healthy competition is always welcome! :thumbsup:

airbazar

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:13 pm

In Europe, FRA, MUC, BCN all make sense ahead of anything else IMO.
I think DL would run LY out of town if they were to start TLV. It's an interesting rumor that's for sure.
What about a return of BOS-SFO? Can't wait for next week.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos