Dieuwer
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:32 pm

tphuang wrote:
dmorbust wrote:
tphuang wrote:
So AA and its IAG partners now have 5 daily flights to LHR with all larger aircraft than VS/DL + year round flights to Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Dublin and Shannon. So covers more major business market than DL and its partners + have the most capacity and flights to LHR. Not bad for an airline that people have said have given up on Boston.

IMO, AA will do continue to make moves like this and some Caribbean flights to keep its major corporate clients and ff base in Boston. It doesn't cost them as much as building up an entire network like DL, but will keep them very relevant in BOS.


First of all how are the LEVEL flights to Paris or Barcelona of any use to AA customers when they aren't bookable on AA.com and "On LEVEL flights As of November 1, 2017, travel on any flights marketed by Iberia and operated by Iberia for LEVEL (IB2600 – IB2699) aren't eligible for AAdvantage mileage accrual"? https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/par ... iberia.jsp

Secondly, the Paris LEVEL flight is just 3 times weekly, compared to DL + AF's 4 times daily. The LEVEL Barcelona flight is not daily either (4 weekly). So how does that cover more major business markets than DL and its partners? And let's get real, there are more major business markets domestically and DL crushes AA there.


AA crushes DL on most of the top business market domestically. In fact, it crushes B6 to those same markets. The only major ones it doesn't fly to are SFO (where DL has an noncompetitive 1x daily schedule for most of the year with no premium product) and ATL. Sure, if your business takes you to IND/CMH/CVG mostly, AA doesn't make sense to you. But if your needs are mostly NYC/DCA/ORD/PHL/LA/LHR, AA actually has better schedule in total than anyone else. And it's never going to retreat from those markets.

As for Europe stuff, my point is AA and IAG combo covers a lot of the major destinations in Europe. They are quite a force on their own right out of BOS and fly to most of the major destinations in Europe. If you do a lot of European flights, AA is still a good enough option to not jump ship. And that's all AA needs to do here.


Don't see the point of arguing about "Airline XYZ" crushes "Airline ABC".
It all depends on your travels. I like B6 because it flies to where we need to go: DC and SFO. But to Europe I prefer DL over BA (AA has not been flying to Europe from BOS for a while). IMO, DL just has the better product flying to Europe compared to BA.
I don't have much use for *A as they seem rather weak in BOS. And pretty much everywhere UA flies from BOS (nonstop), so does B6.
 
jworks158
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm

I heard a rumor on the Boston Aviation Photography forum on facebook from an insider who said AA will be restarting BOS-CDG service on a 767.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
jworks158
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Anyone know anything about Air Canada Rouge A319 service on the Montreal - Boston route? It's flown at least 5 times in the last week. Twice daily a few times.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
ChrisNH38
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Amid all the hoopla about AA, I noticed that SAS made a slew of international long-haul changes and none involved Boston. That’s curious since I’ve inferred from comments that the flight doesn’t do that well. But I guess it does well enough to keep everything as-is for next year. Also, I looked to see whether BA is keeping the A380 next summer in light of the AA addition. They are. So, lots of seats on the LHR route.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH
 
iyerhari
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:22 pm

BOS Aug-2019 numbers are out.
April 2019 total pax: 4,120,937
April 2018 total pax: 4,044,126
April 2019 vs. 2018 growth: 1.9%

YTD 2019 total pax: 28,550,166
YTD 2018 total pax: 27,479,720
AAGR: 3.9%

Details:

Aug-19 Aug-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 402 711 -43.46%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 255,074 217,156 17.46%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,956,456 2,994,352 -1.27%
Total Domestic Passengers 3,211,932 3,212,219 -0.01%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 112,645 89,209 26.27%
Canada 107,786 114,138 -5.57%
Central America 22,197 25,952 -14.47%
Europe 507,882 472,566 7.47%
Middle East 71,983 58,179 23.73%
South America 8,753 10,093 -13.28%
Trans-Pacific 61,733 51,280 20.38%
North Africa 5,780 0 #DIV/0!
Total International passengers 898,759 821,417 9.42%

General Aviation 10,246 10,490 -2.33%
Total Airport pax 4,120,937 4,044,126 1.90%
 
iyerhari
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:23 pm

jworks158 wrote:
I heard a rumor on the Boston Aviation Photography forum on facebook from an insider who said AA will be restarting BOS-CDG service on a 767.

It's not surprising seeing that AA has been willing to invest in routes they feel they see value. CDG was retrenched just a few years back so there is a good chance this route should come back especially for AA/OW FF.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:25 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
Amid all the hoopla about AA, I noticed that SAS made a slew of international long-haul changes and none involved Boston. That’s curious since I’ve inferred from comments that the flight doesn’t do that well. But I guess it does well enough to keep everything as-is for next year. Also, I looked to see whether BA is keeping the A380 next summer in light of the AA addition. They are. So, lots of seats on the LHR route.


The AA B777 BOS-LHR has not been added onto the system yet, its due to be added on on 7 October. It may take a few weeks before we see aircraft changes on BA LHR-BOS
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 pm

iyerhari wrote:
BOS Aug-2019 numbers are out.
April 2019 total pax: 4,120,937
April 2018 total pax: 4,044,126
April 2019 vs. 2018 growth: 1.9%

YTD 2019 total pax: 28,550,166
YTD 2018 total pax: 27,479,720
AAGR: 3.9%

Details:

Aug-19 Aug-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 402 711 -43.46%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 255,074 217,156 17.46%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,956,456 2,994,352 -1.27%
Total Domestic Passengers 3,211,932 3,212,219 -0.01%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 112,645 89,209 26.27%
Canada 107,786 114,138 -5.57%
Central America 22,197 25,952 -14.47%
Europe 507,882 472,566 7.47%
Middle East 71,983 58,179 23.73%
South America 8,753 10,093 -13.28%
Trans-Pacific 61,733 51,280 20.38%
North Africa 5,780 0 #DIV/0!
Total International passengers 898,759 821,417 9.42%

General Aviation 10,246 10,490 -2.33%
Total Airport pax 4,120,937 4,044,126 1.90%


Some HUGE swings. BBC up 26.3%, ME up 23.8%, Central Am. down 14.5%!!
I guess this tells all why Avianca pulled the plug on BOS.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Some HUGE swings. BBC up 26.3%, ME up 23.8%, Central Am. down 14.5%!!
I guess this tells all why Avianca pulled the plug on BOS.

Central America is down as AV and AM no longer fly from BOS.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
BOS Aug-2019 numbers are out.
April 2019 total pax: 4,120,937
April 2018 total pax: 4,044,126
April 2019 vs. 2018 growth: 1.9%

YTD 2019 total pax: 28,550,166
YTD 2018 total pax: 27,479,720
AAGR: 3.9%

Details:

Aug-19 Aug-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 402 711 -43.46%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 255,074 217,156 17.46%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,956,456 2,994,352 -1.27%
Total Domestic Passengers 3,211,932 3,212,219 -0.01%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 112,645 89,209 26.27%
Canada 107,786 114,138 -5.57%
Central America 22,197 25,952 -14.47%
Europe 507,882 472,566 7.47%
Middle East 71,983 58,179 23.73%
South America 8,753 10,093 -13.28%
Trans-Pacific 61,733 51,280 20.38%
North Africa 5,780 0 #DIV/0!
Total International passengers 898,759 821,417 9.42%

General Aviation 10,246 10,490 -2.33%
Total Airport pax 4,120,937 4,044,126 1.90%


Some HUGE swings. BBC up 26.3%, ME up 23.8%, Central Am. down 14.5%!!
I guess this tells all why Avianca pulled the plug on BOS.


Huh? it tells you nothing about why Avianca pulled the plug just that the numbers are down. that's it. All this tells you is that certain markets are down and others are up.
outside of improving load factors that can't be confirmed from these numbers, the following will have had an impact.

Domestic Commuter: up, a lot of which is to do with the increased DL flying
Domestic Jet: down - primarily due to the WN reductions
BBC - increased flying by B6 and DL
Canada - the Westjet effect
Europe - KL, BA(380), VS 2nd daily, DY(FCO, MAD), DL (LIS, EDI)
ME - EK (380)
South America - the return to the bottom is complete and will probably continue at such levels.
Central America - same
Transpac - KE will be the difference here, offset by HU. JL can't really go up much, nor can CX, and this was the start of the big geopolitical issues out there, which means they may be down YOY.
North Africa - RAM are running in the 70-75% range based on that number for August.

I can tell you 4.12m is definitely an all-time record for BOS, but you can clearly see the impacts of some of the negatives in the above, slowing the growth roll. It's curious for example, that with the large draw down of WS that the pax haven't come back through different airlines, same for WN and their reductions. Amazing in all that the domestic total dropped by 287, which is roughly 3 flights worth of pax on average out of almost 32,000... :)
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:26 am

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
BOS Aug-2019 numbers are out.
April 2019 total pax: 4,120,937
April 2018 total pax: 4,044,126
April 2019 vs. 2018 growth: 1.9%

YTD 2019 total pax: 28,550,166
YTD 2018 total pax: 27,479,720
AAGR: 3.9%

Details:

Aug-19 Aug-18 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 402 711 -43.46%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 255,074 217,156 17.46%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,956,456 2,994,352 -1.27%
Total Domestic Passengers 3,211,932 3,212,219 -0.01%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 112,645 89,209 26.27%
Canada 107,786 114,138 -5.57%
Central America 22,197 25,952 -14.47%
Europe 507,882 472,566 7.47%
Middle East 71,983 58,179 23.73%
South America 8,753 10,093 -13.28%
Trans-Pacific 61,733 51,280 20.38%
North Africa 5,780 0 #DIV/0!
Total International passengers 898,759 821,417 9.42%

General Aviation 10,246 10,490 -2.33%
Total Airport pax 4,120,937 4,044,126 1.90%


Some HUGE swings. BBC up 26.3%, ME up 23.8%, Central Am. down 14.5%!!
I guess this tells all why Avianca pulled the plug on BOS.


Huh? it tells you nothing about why Avianca pulled the plug just that the numbers are down. that's it. All this tells you is that certain markets are down and others are up.


My line of reasoning is that if demand is still there to fly to/from Central America, perhaps COPA (or another airline) would have picked up most of the pax that Avianca no longer serves. So, in that case the draw down of 14.47% would have been much less.
Of course you can only know for sure if you know exactly how many pax each airline transported in Aug 18' and 19'.

Anyhow, I would be most interested in knowing WHY a particular market is down or up. Not just simply knowing THAT it is down or up.
 
ChrisNH38
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:15 am

If Middle East growth is attributed to the EK A380, that says it was filling up quite nicely. But it also makes me wonder why it’s not on the route year-round.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:47 am

jworks158 wrote:
Anyone know anything about Air Canada Rouge A319 service on the Montreal - Boston route? It's flown at least 5 times in the last week. Twice daily a few times.


Had no idea about this, but sitting at B20 now and just saw a Rouge A319 taxi out and takeoff. Looks like it’s headed to YUL:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ROU1699

AC is all over the board with what planes they’ll use on BOS-YUL. It’s everything from CR2’s, CR9’s, DH400, E75’s and now A319’s. It’s completely pot-luck what you’ll get as what is scheduled has a high likelihood of being switched to something else day of departure.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:28 am

ChrisNH38 wrote:
If Middle East growth is attributed to the EK A380, that says it was filling up quite nicely. But it also makes me wonder why it’s not on the route year-round.


My guess is eventually it will be, however historically, Oct/Nov are hideous for EK loads, let's remember what happened when they did the double daily in those months a couple of years back, loads in the 40's. So we shall see, what happens, maybe in 21 they will go year round, I think the Dec/Jan test for this year will see how successful it might be, if they can survive the winter with the Whale, then it might happen.

When i was at Logan on Sunday, I had the pleasure of witnessing the EK bird beautifully parked over by North Cargo, alongside the QR bird and then to swing round and see the IB 330, a LH 748, a B6 320 and the BA 380 parked at the gates (for reference we parked at E11), who says the age of spotting different types is dead. It maybe at other airports, but we still get quite the mixture, for now.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:40 am

So, TATL fares. I'm starting to shop around for next Summer's vacation and invariably it seems that the cheaper fares always require a connection in MUC. Historically I've never associated LH and especially the MUC flight as being a cheap alternative but I can't stop but wonder if there's just too much capacity to Europe and LH has been caught off guard with too much capacity on that route.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 pm

airbazar wrote:
So, TATL fares. I'm starting to shop around for next Summer's vacation and invariably it seems that the cheaper fares always require a connection in MUC. Historically I've never associated LH and especially the MUC flight as being a cheap alternative but I can't stop but wonder if there's just too much capacity to Europe and LH has been caught off guard with too much capacity on that route.


too much capacity? maybe, caught off guard, nope, remember they are upgrading MUC to the 380 next year. lots of seats to fill, that's probably why there are lower fares for MUC connections.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:
So, TATL fares. I'm starting to shop around for next Summer's vacation and invariably it seems that the cheaper fares always require a connection in MUC. Historically I've never associated LH and especially the MUC flight as being a cheap alternative but I can't stop but wonder if there's just too much capacity to Europe and LH has been caught off guard with too much capacity on that route.


too much capacity? maybe, caught off guard, nope, remember they are upgrading MUC to the 380 next year. lots of seats to fill, that's probably why there are lower fares for MUC connections.


Right but they announced the up-gauge to A380 long before all the new Summer additions, hence my suggestion that they might have been caught off guard.
BOS-FCO via MUC in the Summer for $550 with LH is unheard of.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:15 pm

I was reading an article about Ben Smith and AF/KL yesterday and in it, Smith indicated that the "european airlines" are seeing slightly weakening demand for future bookings. No idea whether LH would be included in that, or how BS would even know about LH, but it seems reasonable that if AF is seeing it, LH may be as well.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
dtremit
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:08 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

My line of reasoning is that if demand is still there to fly to/from Central America, perhaps COPA (or another airline) would have picked up most of the pax that Avianca no longer serves. So, in that case the draw down of 14.47% would have been much less.
Of course you can only know for sure if you know exactly how many pax each airline transported in Aug 18' and 19'.

Anyhow, I would be most interested in knowing WHY a particular market is down or up. Not just simply knowing THAT it is down or up.


Unless I'm mistaken, these numbers don't tell us how many total passengers are traveling to a region, though -- only how many are flying there *nonstop*. That's clear from the North Africa numbers -- obviously there weren't zero passengers going to North Africa before AT started their service.

For Central America, many passengers flying AM or AV were connecting to secondary cities elsewhere in Central America, or to South America destinations. If those passengers now transit IAH or DFW, they'll be counted as North America; if they transit GRU they'd be counted as South America.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:17 pm

dtremit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

My line of reasoning is that if demand is still there to fly to/from Central America, perhaps COPA (or another airline) would have picked up most of the pax that Avianca no longer serves. So, in that case the draw down of 14.47% would have been much less.
Of course you can only know for sure if you know exactly how many pax each airline transported in Aug 18' and 19'.

Anyhow, I would be most interested in knowing WHY a particular market is down or up. Not just simply knowing THAT it is down or up.


Unless I'm mistaken, these numbers don't tell us how many total passengers are traveling to a region, though -- only how many are flying there *nonstop*. That's clear from the North Africa numbers -- obviously there weren't zero passengers going to North Africa before AT started their service.

For Central America, many passengers flying AM or AV were connecting to secondary cities elsewhere in Central America, or to South America destinations. If those passengers now transit IAH or DFW, they'll be counted as North America; if they transit GRU they'd be counted as South America.


Correct, it only shows where the nonstop destination is, So LHR-BOS-MCO, would count as 1 Europe, 1 domestic jet, or BOS-MIA-GIG would count as 1 domestic.

As for the Why a market is up or down, that is based on a multitude of factors, some seen, some unseen, I mentioned some of the "seen" ones above, new flights, reduction in flights, the unseen ones are like AM who pulled out of the market for financial reasons, among others. WW pulling out of Europe because they went bust.
Sadly Massport will not give us airline information that matches their numbers, we've asked, they won't. So we have to rely on the T-100's which for domestic are 3 months behind and international 6 months, so all we can go on is what is produced and issued, and surmise the rest until the T-100's come out and we can get the level of detail needed to determine, why on the "seen" factors the numbers moved,
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
ChrisNH38
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:23 am

Where’s El Al been at? It seems they come and go with all sorts of variance.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH
 
airbazar
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:16 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Correct, it only shows where the nonstop destination is, So LHR-BOS-MCO, would count as 1 Europe, 1 domestic jet, or BOS-MIA-GIG would count as 1 domestic.

Essentially a connecting passenger counts twice (both in terms of destination region as well as enplanements), which is why numbers seem artificially inflated at large hubs.
As BOS sees more conx passengers we will see those numbers grow at a higher rate.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:06 pm

CAA (UK Airport Authority) results for August are out.

Gatwick 20,244 up 3.8%, 95% for DY, pretty much sold out.
Heathrow 104,281 up 19.46%, BA 380 and VS 2nd daily accounting for some of this I am sure, but that's a big number.
Manchester 6,094 down 51% because of MT's departure from the route, but according to a post in the MAN thread, looks like 88% loads for VS on this route.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 pm

VS4ever wrote:
CAA (UK Airport Authority) results for August are out.

Gatwick 20,244 up 3.8%, 95% for DY, pretty much sold out.
Heathrow 104,281 up 19.46%, BA 380 and VS 2nd daily accounting for some of this I am sure, but that's a big number.
Manchester 6,094 down 51% because of MT's departure from the route, but according to a post in the MAN thread, looks like 88% loads for VS on this route.


How did EDI fare?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:31 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
CAA (UK Airport Authority) results for August are out.

Gatwick 20,244 up 3.8%, 95% for DY, pretty much sold out.
Heathrow 104,281 up 19.46%, BA 380 and VS 2nd daily accounting for some of this I am sure, but that's a big number.
Manchester 6,094 down 51% because of MT's departure from the route, but according to a post in the MAN thread, looks like 88% loads for VS on this route.


How did EDI fare?


Thanks for catching that. 8,345 pax, assuming 168 seats per flight and 31 days, that's 10,416 seats for an almost dead on 80% load.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:09 pm

NK is adding a daily BOS-SJU flight, starts on December 19 with an A319
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
NK is adding a daily BOS-SJU flight, starts on December 19 with an A319

Interesting, I was expecting DL to try out this route eventually.
Flight times:
BOS - SJU 19:55 - 00:45 +1 Ouch.
SJU - BOS 16:05 - 19:05
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:56 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
NK is adding a daily BOS-SJU flight, starts on December 19 with an A319

Interesting, I was expecting DL to try out this route eventually.
Flight times:
BOS - SJU 19:55 - 00:45 +1 Ouch.
SJU - BOS 16:05 - 19:05


Meh. Not that I would fly to SJU on NK because 4+ hours at 29 pitch is gonna suck, However given I’ve flown back from there at 3am and the flights have been pretty full, people aren’t going to care about arriving at 1am because that’s when some of the B6 flights arrive at that time.

Give the timings this is a W pattern to some where else.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
jsteeves3
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 am

The BOS wiki page has SU listed for BOS service starting in late December... the source is flight schedules for SU and a BOS flight on a 333 actually comes up. No bookings though... doubt this is true but if real they could have forgotten to hide the schedule before announcing the route.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:37 am

jsteeves3 wrote:
The BOS wiki page has SU listed for BOS service starting in late December... the source is flight schedules for SU and a BOS flight on a 333 actually comes up. No bookings though... doubt this is true but if real they could have forgotten to hide the schedule before announcing the route.

https://www.aeroflot.ru/schedule/schedule It has been removed from the Wiki page. This seems to be the site that you were referring to. If you enter Boston to Moscow on December 31st a single flight does pop up however there are no other flights to/from BOS. Unfortunately, I think this was just an error in the system, however, I would absolutely love to see that route from Boston someday. Hope this was a prediction of a future route to come.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
airway1
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:24 am

Seems on the Aeroflot site it’s a Jan 1st flight. In the wiki Moscow airport it is listed so we wait
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:11 pm

BOS-SVO on SU appears to be a one-off with a 2:20 turn in SVO assuming same plane.

12/31/29 BOS-SVO 14:00-7:10+1
1/1/2010 SVO-BOS 09:30-12:15

Could it be a test run/training for diversions??? I wonder if 12/31 red-eyes are not popular so they decided to use this for training and this flight comes from JFK.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
TheAccountant
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:18 pm

My DL BOS-DUB flight changed this weekend to an A330-300. Looks like the flight is upgauged to the A333 as of April 3rd. Quite the increase in seats, it must be doing well. It was a 757 for two seasons followed by a 763 for the 2019 season
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm thinking the SU flight might be a charter. That being said anyone know if there is a market for BOS-SVO?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:40 pm

TheAccountant wrote:
My DL BOS-DUB flight changed this weekend to an A330-300. Looks like the flight is upgauged to the A333 as of April 3rd. Quite the increase in seats, it must be doing well. It was a 757 for two seasons followed by a 763 for the 2019 season


Great catch and good for you.
Yeah that’s a huge increase. The 757’s are 168 if I remember correctly, the 763’s are 226 (having just flown one back from AMS) and the 333’s are 293 (having flown to AMS on one) and I have to be honest, the 333 is a way better experience than a 763 for sure and at almost double that a massive leap for passenger kind. I’ve been tracking the route for a long time and in the summer I think EI had maxed out capacity, so along comes DL and it appears they are doing the same. Very impressive stuff from DUB I must say.

This now gives DL 3x TATL rotations with the 333, AMS, FCO and DUB, but the gap between DUB arrival and departure is a long one at about 7 hours, so I wonder if that means it’s going to do a domestic swap of equipment say through ATL as i doubt they are basing one in BOS yet.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:50 pm

As noted by another user in the AA expansion thread, here are the full timings for AA BOS-LHR

AA108 BOS19.30-07.30+1LHR 777 D
AA109 LHR09.35-12.35BOS 777 D

This goes right up against DL’s flight that arrives back to BOS about 20 minutes earlier and gives OW their earliest arrival back into BOS by about an hour with BA’s BA213 380 flight.
Checking on google flights they’ve only loaded full fare versions right now as it’s pricing at $5k, but DL did that too with their new flights so I expect the rest to be loaded soon.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
jsteeves3
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Also just noticed that on DL's website AZ's FCO flight shows up as a 339 next summer. I never heard of anything regarding them getting 339's given their financial situation but the seat map shows a new configuration without their premium economy product... interesting.
 
hsuthe19
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:26 pm

VS4ever wrote:
TheAccountant wrote:
My DL BOS-DUB flight changed this weekend to an A330-300. Looks like the flight is upgauged to the A333 as of April 3rd. Quite the increase in seats, it must be doing well. It was a 757 for two seasons followed by a 763 for the 2019 season


Great catch and good for you.
Yeah that’s a huge increase. The 757’s are 168 if I remember correctly, the 763’s are 226 (having just flown one back from AMS) and the 333’s are 293 (having flown to AMS on one) and I have to be honest, the 333 is a way better experience than a 763 for sure and at almost double that a massive leap for passenger kind. I’ve been tracking the route for a long time and in the summer I think EI had maxed out capacity, so along comes DL and it appears they are doing the same. Very impressive stuff from DUB I must say.

This now gives DL 3x TATL rotations with the 333, AMS, FCO and DUB, but the gap between DUB arrival and departure is a long one at about 7 hours, so I wonder if that means it’s going to do a domestic swap of equipment say through ATL as i doubt they are basing one in BOS yet.


Another thing I noted: BOS-LIS has been upgraded from domestic 757 to 75S.
 
massachoicetts
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:23 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Jeez... so many new LON and PAR flights... and we still cant get an MXP, OPO, ATH, PRG or a third German destination.

If AA announces this CDG flight again next summer, that will be 38 frequencies to PAR a week, and 70x to LON airports. Seems overkill...
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:00 pm

massachoicetts wrote:
Jeez... so many new LON and PAR flights... and we still cant get an MXP, OPO, ATH, PRG or a third German destination.

If AA announces this CDG flight again next summer, that will be 38 frequencies to PAR a week, and 70x to LON airports. Seems overkill...


I hear ya, but patience, once the new E gates get finished I suspect you are going to see most of those
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
ChrisNH38
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:13 pm

So I just got off JAL 8 and GE was its usual breeze. But when I went downstairs to get my suitcase, I was allowed to walk right out without handing in that blue and white card. Is that the new normal?
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
So I just got off JAL 8 and GE was its usual breeze. But when I went downstairs to get my suitcase, I was allowed to walk right out without handing in that blue and white card. Is that the new normal?


Must be, we didn’t have one when coming back through from AMS, although we used the mobile passport and that probably supplanted the need
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
S0Y
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:29 am

ChrisNH38 wrote:
So I just got off JAL 8 and GE was its usual breeze. But when I went downstairs to get my suitcase, I was allowed to walk right out without handing in that blue and white card. Is that the new normal?


You do not need the blue and white form when using GE. You answer all the questions electronically at the GE kiosk
 
tphuang
Posts: 3229
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:09 am

hsuthe19 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
TheAccountant wrote:
My DL BOS-DUB flight changed this weekend to an A330-300. Looks like the flight is upgauged to the A333 as of April 3rd. Quite the increase in seats, it must be doing well. It was a 757 for two seasons followed by a 763 for the 2019 season


Great catch and good for you.
Yeah that’s a huge increase. The 757’s are 168 if I remember correctly, the 763’s are 226 (having just flown one back from AMS) and the 333’s are 293 (having flown to AMS on one) and I have to be honest, the 333 is a way better experience than a 763 for sure and at almost double that a massive leap for passenger kind. I’ve been tracking the route for a long time and in the summer I think EI had maxed out capacity, so along comes DL and it appears they are doing the same. Very impressive stuff from DUB I must say.

This now gives DL 3x TATL rotations with the 333, AMS, FCO and DUB, but the gap between DUB arrival and departure is a long one at about 7 hours, so I wonder if that means it’s going to do a domestic swap of equipment say through ATL as i doubt they are basing one in BOS yet.


Another thing I noted: BOS-LIS has been upgraded from domestic 757 to 75S.


My guess is that some of this capacity addition to DUB/FCO/CDG by DL is to try pre-empt B6.

As for BOS-LIS, I think they concluded that the rock bottom Y fares from this past summer on 757 is not going to able to sustain this route, so are opting to compete in front of the cabin. With this and upgrade on JFK-LIS, they are adding a lot of lie flat capacity vs last summer to a place where there is limited high yielding J demand. I mean if you look at one stop J fares to continental Europe and see how many cheap options from TP shows up, it's pretty obvious a large portion of the J cabin are filled with lower yielding connection traffic.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:14 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
I'm thinking the SU flight might be a charter. That being said anyone know if there is a market for BOS-SVO?

I'm Russian and can tell you that the Russian community in Boston is quite sizeable and there is a lot of VFR traffic in the community. I know that if SU added a route to BOS a lot of people from the Russian community would use it as connections deeper into Russia (other than Moscow or St. Petersburg) require 3 stops currently. However, I do not know the business demand to Moscow from BOS, and whether there is enough to make the route work. I would love to see SU add a route to BOS, and who knows with DL growing a hub in BOS they might like to have an additional connecting partner at BOS.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 am

I know someone who drives to JFK every summer to catch the SU flight to Moscow as flights from BOS “...are a ripoff!” :)
 
ramzi
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:48 am

ChrisNH38 wrote:
So I just got off JAL 8 and GE was its usual breeze. But when I went downstairs to get my suitcase, I was allowed to walk right out without handing in that blue and white card. Is that the new normal?


According to the CBP officer that stamped my passport last week all of these cards are completely eliminated. I know these have also been eliminated in a few airports I've flown to over the past year. Very welcome step.

On a different note, the ride share situation at Logan has become seriously frustrating. It is taking ages for Ubers to make it to the pick-up lots since they are all stuck together in a further away waiting lot. I also saw signs all over Terminal A today that by October 31 pick up will move to central parking. Perhaps my perspective is limited, but I strongly feel that this simply makes getting out of the airport far less efficient for a large percentage of travelers.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:07 am

ramzi wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
So I just got off JAL 8 and GE was its usual breeze. But when I went downstairs to get my suitcase, I was allowed to walk right out without handing in that blue and white card. Is that the new normal?


According to the CBP officer that stamped my passport last week all of these cards are completely eliminated. I know these have also been eliminated in a few airports I've flown to over the past year. Very welcome step.

On a different note, the ride share situation at Logan has become seriously frustrating. It is taking ages for Ubers to make it to the pick-up lots since they are all stuck together in a further away waiting lot. I also saw signs all over Terminal A today that by October 31 pick up will move to central parking. Perhaps my perspective is limited, but I strongly feel that this simply makes getting out of the airport far less efficient for a large percentage of travelers.


you have dearly beloved Massport to thank for that, they want folks on Logan Express and basically has made it more inconvenient to use Lyft/Uber by moving everything to Central parking, plus they are increasing the fees accordingly to boot, while giving LEX users security benefits etc.. While the traffic right now is ridiculous and they are taking steps to resolve that, to me it's just an additional money grab because they've looked at other places and benchmarked at the top end, and here we go. When i got the Lyft the other day, it was 5 minutes to wait to get one at the E lot and i didn't even order it until i got to the lot, I know that's not going to be the same in the future, which is just sad when you get off a 7 hour flight. With the $35 a day parking (will go up to $38 next round i believe), it's getting exceedingly expensive, however as our friends to the South at PVD will tell you, they have a huge construction to pay for and it can't all be passed on to the airlines in PFC and other charges, otherwise they will price themselves out of the market.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 am

NickolayAv wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
I'm thinking the SU flight might be a charter. That being said anyone know if there is a market for BOS-SVO?

I'm Russian and can tell you that the Russian community in Boston is quite sizeable and there is a lot of VFR traffic in the community. I know that if SU added a route to BOS a lot of people from the Russian community would use it as connections deeper into Russia (other than Moscow or St. Petersburg) require 3 stops currently. However, I do not know the business demand to Moscow from BOS, and whether there is enough to make the route work. I would love to see SU add a route to BOS, and who knows with DL growing a hub in BOS they might like to have an additional connecting partner at BOS.


Shame DL & SU can’t play nicer as I do believe SU could make at least as seasonal BOS-SVO on an A332 work.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
NK is adding a daily BOS-SJU flight, starts on December 19 with an A319

Interesting, I was expecting DL to try out this route eventually.
Flight times:
BOS - SJU 19:55 - 00:45 +1 Ouch.
SJU - BOS 16:05 - 19:05

It's a near perfect schedule for a quick weekend trip (or any trip for that matter). Bars and nightclubs close very late so you still have a good few hours on Friday night. Leave Fri night after work and arrive back in Boston Sunday night. Spend almost 2 full days on the island without missing work. Would be even better if the return was a few hours later.
S0Y wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
So I just got off JAL 8 and GE was its usual breeze. But when I went downstairs to get my suitcase, I was allowed to walk right out without handing in that blue and white card. Is that the new normal?


You do not need the blue and white form when using GE. You answer all the questions electronically at the GE kiosk


I don't use GE or any other special entry mode, just the regular kiosks and it's been like that for a couple of years I think.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos