eirflot

Re: Irish 1/19 : New year, new ... us!

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Agreed that it looks better on the A320
Still not sure I follow EIs point that the new brand internationalises the airline!
EI has spent 75 years plus "paddy'ising" every aspect of the airline and now it's not cool to be a paddy?
Go figure.... :hissyfit:

shamrock350

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm

The livery will take getting used to but the branding overall looks great, particularly on the digital platforms and in print.

The darker green and the more vibrant shade work really well together.

cc47

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

The livery could have been a lot worse. While it certainly won't last 23 years, I'm breathing a sigh of relief all the same.

embraer420

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

alancostello wrote:
I'm not impressed by the livery, but I don't mind it at the same time, it just seems a bit safe and been-done. My only issue with it is that jaunty shamrock, it just looks like it was painted on wrong.

I dislike the new shamrock too. In fact I dislike all of it. It's a modern boring eurowhite LCC now, not the flag carrier of Ireland.

shamrock604

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
The livery will take getting used to but the branding overall looks great, particularly on the digital platforms and in print.

The darker green and the more vibrant shade work really well together.

I’m relieved! It looks seriously better than it did in the leaked images! I take it all back. It’s a thumbs up from me.

cc47

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm

The only question that remains is with what frequency will aircraft be painted to the new livery. Also what aircraft will be painted next?

ckpaeg

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Bleh. That’ll disappear into the background in the BOS/EWR/ORD/JFK/DCA/BDL winters.

EI321

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

eirflot wrote:
Agreed that it looks better on the A320
Still not sure I follow EIs point that the new brand internationalises the airline!
EI has spent 75 years plus "paddy'ising" every aspect of the airline and now it's not cool to be a paddy?
Go figure.... :hissyfit:

'Internationalising' was the main reason given by BA for replacing the landor livery with the 'World tails' one in the 90s. That lasted what, 2 or 3 years before they changed all the aircraft to the current version.

It's a sad day when Ryanair has a more recognisable and arguably better livery than Aer Lingus.

chrisnh

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:29 pm

EI321 wrote:
It's a sad day when Ryanair has a more recognisable and arguably better livery than Aer Lingus.

It'll be a sad day if Ryanair ever graces the American shores...whether they have an 'arguably better livery' or not. It's a disgraceful airline that a 'livery' cannot make better. Meanwhile, we'll await EDY to BOS in the next several days.

shamrock321

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:44 pm

I’ve seen an internal email from Norwegian to staff confirming the closure of their Dublin flight and cabin crew base, anyone know how many crew they had in Dublin. The email also mentioned that for the first part of summer this year they had 6 based aircraft, I had no idea it was so many?

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:47 pm

They're also closing the PVD and SWF bases, so does this mean "bye bye" to these routes from DUB (possibly SNN and ORK too?) and also, to the planned Toronto/Hamilton route, this summer?

BrianDromey

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

I thought the DUB base was due to remain? It will be a blow to SNN and ORK if Norwegian close those routes.

I think the EI livery looks well. I think the tail is particularly successful. It’s not the straight line seen at LEVEL or Lufthansa and the bright green shash looks great. The white is super-bright and on the A330 the wings are white, -CVA seems to have standard grey wings, I wonder what the standard will be?
I agree with some posters that the shamrock next to the titles looks a little odd. As I said before the interaction of “g” and the windowline is awkward, the current livery also suffers from this. I think the titles below the window line (like the pre-1996 livery) might have prevented this. Similarly AA style titles could have worked too, and balanced the visually heavy tail. I think the ATRs will look very smart.

I also really like the shamrock on the boarding doors. I think that’s a neat touch.

eirflot

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Chrisnh why is Ryanair a disgraceful airline? It is perhaps one of the most profitable airlines in the world and its year on year growth us exceptional
The livery is okay, certainly better than some american carriers

EI321

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Just watched a news report on the unveiling and the livery on the A330 looked undeniably blue on the TV screen.

EI management really should consider the public response to the new livery before painting the rest of the fleet, there are clearly issues with the shade of teal chosen. I seen the A320 today in person and the green looks ok in person but parked next to the rest of the existing EI fleet it just looks like any random airline from a distance. I think the fact that the top half of the outgoing livery was green makes them stand out even more as the grey and white underside tends to blend in against ground equipment, fences, buildings, etc.

OA260

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Some nice shots of CVA over the Aran Islands today.

cc47

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 pm

https://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/art ... ted.699549
Looks like EI-DHW clipped wings with a TK aircraft in MLA tonight. No injuries reported.

eicvd

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 am

chrisnh wrote:
EI321 wrote:

It'll be a sad day if Ryanair ever graces the American shores...whether they have an 'arguably better livery' or not. It's a disgraceful airline that a 'livery' cannot make better. Meanwhile, we'll await EDY to BOS in the next several days.

Yes Chris please explain this comment. What exactly is a disgrace about Ryanair?
COYBIB

embraer420

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am

EI321 wrote:

Yes, the new EI livery is terrible, I hate the eurowhite and the "green" on the tail looks blue. Not to mention the ridiculous new shamrock that looks like it belongs on a box of Lucky Charms cereal and the ugly LCC-style font, the new logo looks so cheap. Aer Lingus has been going downhill for years though. They had an iconic logo before, and the green was very distinctive, it stood out in foreign airports amongst a sea of eurowhite. You felt like you were home when you saw the plane. And the crew are fine these days but they're not exceptional. They used to be brilliant. At least their uniforms are green. (for now)

It is a sad day because FR now have a better and more distinctive livery than EI, and their logo is better than the new Aer Lingus one, especially the font. There really isn't much between them these days on intra-european flights.

IAG have just killed an Irish institution. :knockout:

OA260

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:52 am

Aer Lingus 'committed' to regional Stobart service

The new chief executive of Aer Lingus has insisted the carrier remains committed to its franchise arrangement with Stobart Air.

The comment comes as Stobart Air's operations are set to be amalgamated with those of a new entity -backed by Stobart and Virgin Atlantic - that is buying Flybe.

Speaking as Aer Lingus unveiled its new brand identity at Dublin Airport, Sean Doyle said the Flybe takeover is in "very early stages". He insisted that Aer Lingus Regional worked for the IAG-owned carrier, and that it's "very committed" to retaining Aer Lingus Regional as a franchise operation.

Ailing Flybe will be rebranded as Virgin, which hopes to use the operation to feed its long-haul network - exactly what Aer Lingus Regional does for Aer Lingus. It threatens to put Virgin and Aer Lingus on a war footing if both ultimately vie for the same regional UK passengers.

Stobart Air, part of the UK's Stobart Group, will be subsumed into a new vehicle called Connect Airways.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-l ... 23871.html

cc47

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 pm

EI-DVI positioned down to SNN this morning. Next aircraft to be painted?

wexfordflyer

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:30 pm

embraer420 wrote:
EI321 wrote:

Yes, the new EI livery is terrible, I hate the eurowhite and the "green" on the tail looks blue. Not to mention the ridiculous new shamrock that looks like it belongs on a box of Lucky Charms cereal and the ugly LCC-style font, the new logo looks so cheap. Aer Lingus has been going downhill for years though. They had an iconic logo before, and the green was very distinctive, it stood out in foreign airports amongst a sea of eurowhite. You felt like you were home when you saw the plane. And the crew are fine these days but they're not exceptional. They used to be brilliant. At least their uniforms are green. (for now)

It is a sad day because FR now have a better and more distinctive livery than EI, and their logo is better than the new Aer Lingus one, especially the font. There really isn't much between them these days on intra-european flights.

While I'm not a big fan of the new livery, I think we are forgetting that this is a full brand refresh, not just a new livery. Looking at the branding at check in in T2 this morning, it looks fresh and modern. Do many people care what the aircraft looks like when they are buying their ticket? I suspect not. Do many people, besides us AVgeeks really care what different aircraft look like? I think not. Sure it's great to see wild and wonderful liveries and colour aircraft around the place, but does this really matter to the overall business? I think not. And a business they are. We can harp on about the old glory days and symbolism of what Aer Lingus represent and being an Irish institution, but times have changed unfortunately, and that's not the world we live in any more.

I don't overly like the livery. I won't say the branding is anything to write home about, but it is much fresher and more modern than the old one, despite how the green aircraft may have stood out. Certainly airport branding and online/mobile will look a lot better with the new branding. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the new uniforms. Whether I like them or not, I hope are at least professional and modern. The current uniforms are just awful!

Aer Lingus wants to be the leading "Value Carrier" (whatever that actually means!) across the atlantic, and I do think this new look lends itself to that quite well.

There's a lot of people suggesting they should have done something a la KLM rebrand and while that would have meant some nice looking planes, it wasn't necessarily what this rebrand was about. EI is not KLM.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

ClassicLover

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Bank of Ireland are going to launch an Aer Lingus co branded credit card. It was up on the Bank of Ireland web site earlier, but it's been pulled down, so it probably went up prematurely. Someone wrote down some of the details -

"The main details were a monthly fee of €7.99, earn 1 Avios per €1 on Aer Lingus and 1 Avios per €4 on all other spend. No sign up or spend bonus but you would get 2 ‘free’ European flights (when you pay taxes and charges) two lounge passes for DUB/ORK/SNN, two passes for fast track security after you spend €5,000. It also included free annual multi trip travel insurance."

Just a heads up as it looks like it will be coming...
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

shamrock604

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:09 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
embraer420 wrote:
EI321 wrote:

While I'm not a big fan of the new livery, I think we are forgetting that this is a full brand refresh, not just a new livery. Looking at the branding at check in in T2 this morning, it looks fresh and modern. Do many people care what the aircraft looks like when they are buying their ticket? I suspect not. Do many people, besides us AVgeeks really care what different aircraft look like? I think not. Sure it's great to see wild and wonderful liveries and colour aircraft around the place, but does this really matter to the overall business? I think not. And a business they are. We can harp on about the old glory days and symbolism of what Aer Lingus represent and being an Irish institution, but times have changed unfortunately, and that's not the world we live in any more.

I don't overly like the livery. I won't say the branding is anything to write home about, but it is much fresher and more modern than the old one, despite how the green aircraft may have stood out. Certainly airport branding and online/mobile will look a lot better with the new branding. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the new uniforms. Whether I like them or not, I hope are at least professional and modern. The current uniforms are just awful!

Aer Lingus wants to be the leading "Value Carrier" (whatever that actually means!) across the atlantic, and I do think this new look lends itself to that quite well.

There's a lot of people suggesting they should have done something a la KLM rebrand and while that would have meant some nice looking planes, it wasn't necessarily what this rebrand was about. EI is not KLM.

Just been comparing some photos of old and new schemes - and the old does now look dated and dull by comparison. Sure, it was a classic, but I’m very much starting to appreciate the new look. It does look very well on digital also.

When I first saw the first A330 painted in the 1996 scheme, I hated it. It took a few days before I started to like it, and in the end, I loved it. This isn’t even taking that long for me.

There was a mention yesterday also of a refreshed interior coming in the A321LR. Be interesting to see what that involves!

S0Y

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Bank of Ireland are going to launch an Aer Lingus co branded credit card. It was up on the Bank of Ireland web site earlier, but it's been pulled down, so it probably went up prematurely. Someone wrote down some of the details -

"The main details were a monthly fee of €7.99, earn 1 Avios per €1 on Aer Lingus and 1 Avios per €4 on all other spend. No sign up or spend bonus but you would get 2 ‘free’ European flights (when you pay taxes and charges) two lounge passes for DUB/ORK/SNN, two passes for fast track security after you spend €5,000. It also included free annual multi trip travel insurance."

Just a heads up as it looks like it will be coming...

It’s a start, but that is a seriously underwhelming offer

Ytraveller

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 pm

New route to Shenzhen begins 25 February. Source in Chinese: http://www.caacnews.com.cn/1/6/201901/t ... 65194.html

Schedule:
HU755 SZX0130 – 0700DUB 787 15
HU756 DUB0900 – 0530+1SZX 787 15

embraer420

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Ytraveller wrote:
New route to Shenzhen begins 25 February. Source in Chinese: http://www.caacnews.com.cn/1/6/201901/t ... 65194.html

Schedule:

What are LFs like on the PEK flight?

LuxuryTravelled

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm

The Norwegian base is not closed, but a very heavily reduction.

eicvd

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Ytraveller wrote:

Schedule:

I saw this posted on Facebook this morning but thought nothing of it, seems to have come from nowhere considering it starts next month!
COYBIB

Skyblue39

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Now that Dublin is in the 30M+ club along with Zurich, Copenhagen and Paris Orly, airlines are Likely to seriously look at DUB for growth. Good to see a new Chinese city added so soon. Even Manchester with strong links eastwards have been waiting for a second Chinese city for quite a while.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm

eicvd wrote:
Ytraveller wrote:

Schedule:

I saw this posted on Facebook this morning but thought nothing of it, seems to have come from nowhere considering it starts next month!

HU stated it shortly after CX announced DUB however PEK came first.

ClassicLover

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eicvd wrote:
Ytraveller wrote:

Schedule:

HU stated it shortly after CX announced DUB however PEK came first.

It's a long enough flight to Shenhzen - 12 hours and 30 minutes to China and 13 hours and 30 minutes for the return.

I see you can get it for around €400 return in Economy or about €2,000 in Business.

Hopefully it's a success!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Galwayman

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Will the Shenzhen flight feed into flights to Oz and other cities in Asia ? They didn’t seem to offer competitive prices via PEK as far as I’m aware

Nickd92

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Just a thought about EI .This is after been on 3 night shifts and watching them on flight radar.

With the A321 NEO LR coming online soon (and there ambition to grow more atlantic) could EI launch a TLV route from DUB? This would offer an alternative connections over for example LHR, AMS, CDG, ZRH, FRA & MUC plus others. If they offered a 0730 departure from DUB that would connect to the JFK,BOS, ORD & the 757 arrival. For example Monday Morning arrivals would also connect to EWR, YYZ, IAD & PHL on top of BOS, ORD & JFK. Surely there is enough traffic for connections as well as local O&D in DUB? The only downside for this early departure would be missing the SEA/MIA/MCO and SFO/LAX flights but i'm sure within IAG that would be picked up by BA?

A 09:30 arrival back from TLV would connect to the Atlantic Bank too.

shamrock321

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:31 pm

That schedule would mean an A321 would be away from back for 26 hours, a return sector to Tel Aviv in this time frame isn’t good use of the aircraft. Most European airlines have 2 flights to TLV to counter his but I’m not sure the demand from Ireland could justify this?

BrianDromey

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
That schedule would mean an A321 would be away from back for 26 hours, a return sector to Tel Aviv in this time frame isn’t good use of the aircraft. Most European airlines have 2 flights to TLV to counter his but I’m not sure the demand from Ireland could justify this?

26 hours would work OK connecting to/from the US flights. I suppose the question is how TLV stacks up against other opportunities for that aircraft. Either to US destinations or multiple runs down to the sun spots.

shamrock321

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm

But this would mean having the aircraft sat in T.LV for 18 hours, that’s not going to happen...

OA260

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:31 pm

EI would not get the bums on seats unless they were willing to go up against TK who do an awful lot DUB-IST-TLV with rock bottom fares. Then you are relying on vast amounts of traffic wanting to use EI TLV-DUB-TATL again EI would need low fares to make people switch from many other carriers already well established.

alancostello

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:48 pm

There's been a huge uptick in US-TLV direct flights in the last year or two, I'd say the market may be a little oversaturated.

757usairways

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm

I was just doing some dummy bookings for S19, and I noticed something odd with the B757s.
August 8th
PHL-DUB
MSP-DUB
BDL-DUB
BOS-SNN
JFK-SNN
ASL only has 4 B757s and is one of these routes going to go to a A330 or A321LR. Or did they pick up another B757.

OA260

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 pm

'IAG won't get into bidding war for Norwegian Air' - Willie Walsh

IAG won't get into q bidding war for Scandinavian airline Norwegian, chief executive Willie Walsh has insisted this evening in Dublin.

IAG, which owns Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Level, acquired a 4.6pc stake in Norwegian last year and said it was interested in buying it outright.

Speaking at a dinner hosted by The Aviation Club UK, Mr Walsh said that he remains interested in Norwegian.

"I like Norwegian. I like the brand. I like what Bjorn (CEO Bjorn Kjos) had done," said Mr Walsh.

But he noted that Norwegian's share price has been declining and that there had been some rumour that another potential bidder could emerge.

"I'm not getting into a bidding war," said Mr Walsh, adding that he believed Norwegian's decision to populate its fleet with Boeing 787s was the wrong one.

Mr Walsh also said IAG "is not interested in third terminal at Dublin Airport".

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 30903.html

JAmie2k9

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:26 pm

757usairways wrote:
I was just doing some dummy bookings for S19, and I noticed something odd with the B757s.
August 8th
PHL-DUB
MSP-DUB
BDL-DUB
BOS-SNN
JFK-SNN
ASL only has 4 B757s and is one of these routes going to go to a A330 or A321LR. Or did they pick up another B757.

One will be A321, plans have changed but latest is MSP will get the A321.

OA260

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

National Transport Authority 'actively considering' 24-hour Dublin Bus service from Dublin Airport
Calls have been made for the introduction of the service after a 24-hour service commenced in Cork last week.

www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bus-airport-24 ... 1-Jan2019/

—-

£232k in air marketing pot after sum drawn to promote Loganair

Nearly quarter-of-a-million pounds remains in a Derry City & Strabane District Council administered aviation support fund most recently used to market Loganair’s new Derry to Glasgow route.

However, members of DC&SDC’s Audit, Assurance & Risk (AAR) Committee were divided at their January meeting over how the North West Air Access Consortium (NWAAC) is scrutinised.

www.derryjournal.com/news/232k-in-air-m ... -1-8772383

—-

EI321

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Some more details on the new Aer Lingus branding:

https://lippincott.com/work/aer-lingus/

Armaghman

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Hainan to launch Dublin Shenzhen twice a week Monday and Friday on 25th Feb - not much notice

https://fora.ie/hainan-airlines-dublin- ... 3-Jan2019/

shamrock350

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm

EI321 wrote:

I think this just reaffirms my belief that the overall brand refresh is good and has been well thought out. It looks modern, fresh and still unmistakeably Aer Lingus. Really like that tail line up, the cups and the cabin updates.

The livery may not be to everyone’s taste but the update works well from a branding point of view. Just seeing some of it rolled out at Cork Airport this evening and it definitely has more “pop” than the current design. I just hope the roll out is quick, there’s a bit of a mix and match here at Cork which is to be expected but I’d hope that all branded material is replaced by next week, at least at the home bases.

BrianDromey

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:57 pm

EI321 wrote:

I think it does look like a coherent brand, for the first time in over a decade. I think the business class branding is particularly successful, the silver shamrock is very nice. This is a very modern brand, overall. It works well on digital, in that presentation. The branding teams need to step up to the mark. For example the AerClub cards still have the old shamrock in the background, which is poor.

EK770

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:25 pm

EI321 wrote:

The silver shamrock gives some food for thought!

The multicolored headrests of the economy cabin..... not so much....

JAmie2k9

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
EI321 wrote:

I think this just reaffirms my belief that the overall brand refresh is good and has been well thought out. It looks modern, fresh and still unmistakeably Aer Lingus. Really like that tail line up, the cups and the cabin updates.

The livery may not be to everyone’s taste but the update works well from a branding point of view. Just seeing some of it rolled out at Cork Airport this evening and it definitely has more “pop” than the current design. I just hope the roll out is quick, there’s a bit of a mix and match here at Cork which is to be expected but I’d hope that all branded material is replaced by next week, at least at the home bases.

I agree about the brand, in recent years the only way I could describe the branding is chaotic. Saying that they have made mistakes with the livery.

OA260

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 pm

They’re ugly Irish women here’- rapper Azealia Banks slams Aer Lingus after claiming she was ‘banned’ from Dublin-bound flight

AMERICAN rapper Azealia Banks has branded Irish women as “ugly” in a tirade against Aer Lingus staff this evening.

Banks was Dublin-bound to perform at The Academy tomorrow when she claimed she was “banned” from the Irish airline after being “treated like a wild animal” on board the plane.

The 27-year-old took to social media to describe her “travel day from hell” after removing herself from the flight at Gatwick Airport this morning.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/they ... 33509.html

eicvd

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:51 pm

OA260 wrote:
They’re ugly Irish women here’- rapper Azealia Banks slams Aer Lingus after claiming she was ‘banned’ from Dublin-bound flight

AMERICAN rapper Azealia Banks has branded Irish women as “ugly” in a tirade against Aer Lingus staff this evening.

Banks was Dublin-bound to perform at The Academy tomorrow when she claimed she was “banned” from the Irish airline after being “treated like a wild animal” on board the plane.

The 27-year-old took to social media to describe her “travel day from hell” after removing herself from the flight at Gatwick Airport this morning.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 33509.html

That one has a habit of talking bull crap, attention seeker of the highest order.
COYBIB

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos