FTMCPIUS

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:20 pm

airstatdfw wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
airstatdfw wrote:

More has to do with security, you can keep planes on the south side moving while the north side is working AF 1 or AF 2. But 9R and 22L have both had B747 Dept and 22L even has had the A380 Dept. It is more efficient if they can take the shorter RWY for their direction of flight. If the pilot request a longer RWY we will taxi them there, but they will delay other aircraft if their direction of flight shuts down the shorter RWY. This happens on East flow a lot many of the Heavy’s are North or East bound which is normally where 9R Dept go. We normally always assign RWYs based on direction not plane type.

Check my original post -- the runway I was asking about is 9L-27R, but you are referring to 9R-27L, hence the confusion.

I answered your question in your original post, you didn’t think a 747 would take a short RWY. I advised there have been departures off of RWY 27R. I was all letting you know that large aircraft have taken other short RWYs as ORD like 22L which is 8079 or 9R which is 7967.

I never said a 747 couldn't take a short runway -- I said (or strongly implied) ATC would never assign a 747 to a 7,500' runway when 10,000'+ and 13,000' were available.

chicawgo

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:22 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
airstatdfw wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
Check my original post -- the runway I was asking about is 9L-27R, but you are referring to 9R-27L, hence the confusion.

I answered your question in your original post, you didn’t think a 747 would take a short RWY. I advised there have been departures off of RWY 27R. I was all letting you know that large aircraft have taken other short RWYs as ORD like 22L which is 8079 or 9R which is 7967.

I never said a 747 couldn't take a short runway -- I said (or strongly implied) ATC would never assign a 747 to a 7,500' runway when 10,000'+ and 13,000' were available.

Actually Europe bound 777s and the KL 747 take off from 9R frequently.

FTMCPIUS

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 am

chicawgo wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
airstatdfw wrote:

OMG! One more time -- look at my original post -- I asked about runway 9L-27R, not 9R-27L. Got it? :banghead:

chidino

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 am

ILS28ORD wrote:
...And I’ve been on record for a long time saying they need to connect T5 to the rest of the terminal core. Especially when ORD bills itself the most connected airport in the world. They need to facilitate inter-line and international connections, OGT won’t house all the international flights when it’s done.

T5 will not get directly connected; it will remain accessible only through the ATS. ORD is throwing in completely with alliances, and so the only way you "should" have a problem after the ORD21 plan is if you are transferring alliances or to an independent. If you stay within *A or OW, you don't leave the old terminal core; if you are ST or independent, you're over at T5 (if that's what it's called then). Please understand that this plan means that ALL *A flights and ALL OW flights will come into OGT and Sat 1.

As to your comment about being connected, that means you can fly to more places, not that it's easy to transfer. Chicago is second only to LHR in connections, according to OAG. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-connected-airports-2018/index.html (And I challenge you to tell me LHR is better for connections than ORD. ;) )

jcwr56

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 am

chidino wrote:
ILS28ORD wrote:
...And I’ve been on record for a long time saying they need to connect T5 to the rest of the terminal core. Especially when ORD bills itself the most connected airport in the world. They need to facilitate inter-line and international connections, OGT won’t house all the international flights when it’s done.

T5 will not get directly connected; it will remain accessible only through the ATS. ORD is throwing in completely with alliances, and so the only way you "should" have a problem after the ORD21 plan is if you are transferring alliances or to an independent. If you stay within *A or OW, you don't leave the old terminal core; if you are ST or independent, you're over at T5 (if that's what it's called then). Please understand that this plan means that ALL *A flights and ALL OW flights will come into OGT and Sat 1.

As to your comment about being connected, that means you can fly to more places, not that it's easy to transfer. Chicago is second only to LHR in connections, according to OAG. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-connected-airports-2018/index.html (And I challenge you to tell me LHR is better for connections than ORD. ;) )

This isn’t exactly correct, under the AULA both UA and AA decide who will join them at the OGT. Additionally, we have no idea how the annual reallocation of gates will impact the ability of seeing common use gates at the OGT itself. The CDA has the legal right to adjust depending on the demand.

10 years from now alliances as we know them could be gone. The business model seems to be shifting towards JV’s anyway.

ILS28ORD

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
chidino wrote:
ILS28ORD wrote:

This isn’t exactly correct, under the AULA both UA and AA decide who will join them at the OGT. Additionally, we have no idea how the annual reallocation of gates will impact the ability of seeing common use gates at the OGT itself. The CDA has the legal right to adjust depending on the demand.

10 years from now alliances as we know them could be gone. The business model seems to be shifting towards JV’s anyway.

And based on this common use gates thing is why CDA SHOULD consider connecting T5 to the terminal core airside. Once again, all competing mid-continent airports have APM airside.

kyrone

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:26 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
kyrone wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
Monday should bring some new news...

On Air India, or in general??

It was in general. This didn't happen because a last minute curve ball was thrown at me that I wasn't expecting.

Those curve balls playing with our Monday morning excitement! Any updates on when the news would break?

chicawgo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:36 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
chicawgo wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

OMG! One more time -- look at my original post -- I asked about runway 9L-27R, not 9R-27L. Got it? :banghead:

That's irrelevant and I wasn't responding to that... Here's exactly what you said: "I never said a 747 couldn't take a short runway -- I said (or strongly implied) ATC would never assign a 747 to a 7,500' runway when 10,000'+ and 13,000' were available." And I'm responding that that is completely false in that ATC frequently assigns medium-loaded 747's to 9R when 10L is in full use for departures.

FTMCPIUS

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 am

chicawgo wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
chicawgo wrote:

That's irrelevant and I wasn't responding to that... Here's exactly what you said: "I never said a 747 couldn't take a short runway -- I said (or strongly implied) ATC would never assign a 747 to a 7,500' runway when 10,000'+ and 13,000' were available." And I'm responding that that is completely false in that ATC frequently assigns medium-loaded 747's to 9R when 10L is in full use for departures.

Do you have a problem reading? I am now and always have been referring to 9L-27R and you keep referring to 9R-27L. I KNOW 747s take off on 9R -- my original post asked about 9L. Once again: :banghead:

BuildingMyBento

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:34 am

Never mind the aviation...I'm waiting for the day/year/century the "airtrain" finishes!

gabik001

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Anyone has any idea why JAL B788 flight JL8086 every time after unloading @T5 is moved to South Cargo @ NCA? Its about just parking overnight or they loading some cargo and resting there utill return flight next day? I'm just curious.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

airstatdfw

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 pm

gabik001 wrote:
Anyone has any idea why JAL B788 flight JL8086 every time after unloading @T5 is moved to South Cargo @ NCA? Its about just parking overnight or they loading some cargo and resting there utill return flight next day? I'm just curious.

After they drop off the pax they then move to South East Cargo to off load and load cargo. They also RON down there. I don’t think they have room for them to stay longer at Term 5 when they come in, but jcwr56 may know more.

Galvan316

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm

airstatdfw wrote:
gabik001 wrote:

After they drop off the pax they then move to South East Cargo to off load and load cargo. They also RON down there. I don’t think they have room for them to stay longer at Term 5 when they come in, but jcwr56 may know more.

What does the term "RON" mean?
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

jcwr56

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:14 pm

airstatdfw wrote:
gabik001 wrote:

Correct, there's no room utilizing T5. With all the construction taking place around the airfield it's harder to find spots to park aircraft.

RON= Remain Over Night.

gabik001

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 am

airstatdfw wrote:
gabik001 wrote:

That make sense once the a/c always park at NCA gate at South Cargo. Thanks!
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

mke717spotter

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:17 am

I arrived into ORD this evening on AA1463 (787 from DFW). From the time we landed until we reached the gate it took 50 minutes due to clogged taxiways! Yikes! Thankfully I didn't have an onward connecting flight, but that probably wasn't the case for some of the other folks on the plane.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Planeboy17

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 am

jcwr56 wrote:
airstatdfw wrote:
gabik001 wrote:

Correct, there's no room utilizing T5. With all the construction taking place around the airfield it's harder to find spots to park aircraft.

RON= Remain Over Night.

I forgot to post that I saw a lot of earth and concrete being moved east of T5 last Thursday. Might this finally be some actual T5 expansion?

SQ001

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 am

Just wanted to "make a wish" for

1) a HKG-ORD flight that would arrive in ORD in early morning or departs HKG at a later time than the current CX/UA schedule. The current HKG-ORD and returning flight is very difficult for mainland travellers who does not wish to stay in HKG overnight before and after the flight.

2) CAN-ORD flight

jcwr56

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:29 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
airstatdfw wrote:

RON= Remain Over Night.

I forgot to post that I saw a lot of earth and concrete being moved east of T5 last Thursday. Might this finally be some actual T5 expansion?

Correct, they’re starting east on the new ramp area and hardstands plus installing the main fuel line that will loop around.

By end of March 2020, that area and the east end of T5 will look vastly different.

chidino

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

RON= Remain Over Night.

Correct, they’re starting east on the new ramp area and hardstands plus installing the main fuel line that will loop around.

By end of March 2020, that area and the east end of T5 will look vastly different.

:bouncy: Thanks!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos