Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yeogeo

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:52 pm

ual763 wrote:
Flew out of ORD late last night on my way to CWA. Got to takeoff on 4L for the first time in a long time. Even saw an SAS A330 takeoff from 4L before us. Not too often where the heavy departures depart 4L. Must’ve been lightly loaded.

I assume it was pretty smooth... didn't they just rework it?

ual763

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:01 pm

yeogeo wrote:
ual763 wrote:
Flew out of ORD late last night on my way to CWA. Got to takeoff on 4L for the first time in a long time. Even saw an SAS A330 takeoff from 4L before us. Not too often where the heavy departures depart 4L. Must’ve been lightly loaded.

Oh it was! Smooth as butter. I believe they did rework it. That was this summer I believe. Could be wrong though.
From flying to the NOTAM office

gabik001

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:50 pm

ual763 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Oh it was! Smooth as butter. I believe they did rework it. That was this summer I believe. Could be wrong though.

When we had ORD AW tour in October they were still working on it. I think it was just some sweeping of the surface but it was still closed. It was reopen mid November I think.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

airstatdfw

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Can anyone explain this bid opportunity email from the CDA?

Taxiways Alpha and Bravo swing around the terminals on the south sides and Kilo3 is south and east of the Central Deicing Facility, but otherwise I'm in the dark.

Best guess: Replacing the south end of what was 14R/32L (now taxiwaySS) with Kilo 3 and involves a bit of Alpha and Bravo?

They are reconfiguring A and B to be better aligned with L and K also it’s prep work for the new terminals and associated twys.

Someone asked why don’t land 4R much anymore. Rwy extended centerlines out to 1 mile have to be considered as a crossing Rwy. So you can’t depart 10L and land 4R at the same time. Same thing when we land 22R, we depart 28C b/c that is more than a mile but 28R is within the mile. That is why they are fly quiet configurations. We are normally down to one departure Rwy when we go to landing 4R or Landing 22R.

yeogeo

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Brand new 787-10 Dreamliner (N12010) flew from Charleston to O'Hare this morning - arrived 10:51. Parked over in the UA hangar apparently. Don't believe it has yet left.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... 0#234c7696

gabik001

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:16 am

yeogeo wrote:
Brand new 787-10 Dreamliner (N12010) flew from Charleston to O'Hare this morning - arrived 10:51. Parked over in the UA hangar apparently. Don't believe it has yet left.

Oh, wow! I left ORD area about 10am and did not check.. Will keep eye on it.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

yeogeo

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:09 pm

yeogeo wrote:
As if there aren't enough projects to keep up about around here -- 4R/22L is due for a mill and an overlay

How much pain on operations do these things involve?

(Corrected my own earlier post- transposed the L&R :roll: )
...Seeing how 22L is such an important departure runway, wondering if this project could be accomplished at night - or will they be able to handle a complete shutdown for a time - if that what it takes. Is this the same fix that 4L/22R underwent earlier this year?

yeogeo

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:35 pm

gabik001 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Might be in or near the hangar for awhile:
(from United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019, p70)
jayunited wrote:
...N12010 was delivered today flown to ORD for induction.

ORD was choosen over IAD to give ORD maintenance more hands on experience with the 787 fleet. Outside of the occasional diversion or one off flight ORD mechanics havent had a lot of physical touch time with the 787 ever since UA ended the ORD-IAH-ORD domestic runs. I know earlier this month MUC-SFO canceled for maintenance, the aircraft was maintenance ferried MUC-ORD for final repairs.

CleSyrRoc

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:23 pm

As far as the amount of Construction at O'hare, I think you have to realize that there are very soon going to be eight runways at this extremely busy airport located in the north where it experiences cold winters. I don't know a lot about how often runways and taxiways need to be replaced/repaired, but with the amount of pavement they are working with, it's not unreasonable to expect that the airport is almost always going to be under a constant state of construction. If its not the new terminal, T5 expansion, 9C/27C construction, or 9L/27R extension, it will be repair/replacement of older taxiways and runways.

OzarkD9S

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

There was never mainline to DAY.

There was, but its been awhile: http://www.departedflights.com/DAY99intro.html

Not sure when it stopped.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

gabik001

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm

yeogeo wrote:
gabik001 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Might be in or near the hangar for awhile:
(from United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019, p70)
jayunited wrote:
...N12010 was delivered today flown to ORD for induction.

ORD was choosen over IAD to give ORD maintenance more hands on experience with the 787 fleet. Outside of the occasional diversion or one off flight ORD mechanics havent had a lot of physical touch time with the 787 ever since UA ended the ORD-IAH-ORD domestic runs. I know earlier this month MUC-SFO canceled for maintenance, the aircraft was maintenance ferried MUC-ORD for final repairs.

Definitely. When traveling I-90 you can see a lot of UA heavy metal (along with few regional jets) parked on the north side of maintenance building propably due to service needed. I noticed more a/c's appeared there during last two months.

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:21 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

There was never mainline to DAY.

There was, but its been awhile: http://www.departedflights.com/DAY99intro.html

Not sure when it stopped.

I should’ve made myself clear, I was actually referring to first class to DAY. Th year used have a lot of 70 seat planes there but now they’re all 50 seats, I believe 7 of them.

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:02 pm

By the way, I looked over the Apple Vacations website and it looks like Viva Aerobus will be at ORD a little longer.
The schedule has them flying to Los Cabos every Sunday from February 2nd to April 12th.
Rockford will have flights operated by Miami Air / TUI to Cancun, Liberia and Punta Cana.
MKE will also be served by Miami Air/ TUI as well.
Merry Christmas everyone!

yeogeo

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:11 am

CleSyrRoc wrote:
As far as the amount of Construction at O'hare, I think you have to realize that there are very soon going to be eight runways at this extremely busy airport located in the north where it experiences cold winters. I don't know a lot about how often runways and taxiways need to be replaced/repaired, but with the amount of pavement they are working with, it's not unreasonable to expect that the airport is almost always going to be under a constant state of construction. If its not the new terminal, T5 expansion, 9C/27C construction, or 9L/27R extension, it will be repair/replacement of older taxiways and runways.

all true, Cle - I didn't mean to sound negative; I'm actually stimulated by everything going on at ORD, and I realize that just because new construction is ongoing, it doesn't mean that regular maintenance, like the repaving of existing runways, can stop. Still curious how this work on 4R/22L will be accommodated.

airstatdfw

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:24 am

yeogeo wrote:
CleSyrRoc wrote:

all true, Cle - I didn't mean to sound negative; I'm actually stimulated by everything going on at ORD, and I realize that just because new construction is ongoing, it doesn't mean that regular maintenance, like the repaving of existing runways, can stop. Still curious how this work on 4R/22L will be accommodated.

A few years ago they did the same project to 27L/9R. At night they would close the Rwy and do sections until they were complete. They had a few 56 hour closures over the weekend. Also if there is going to be a period of east flow they can work on the Rwy as well.

chidino

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:19 am

Latest Paschen overhead view of the work at MDW (which no one seems to pay attention to): Image

United787

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:58 pm

chidino wrote:
Latest Paschen overhead view of the work at MDW (which no one seems to pay attention to): Image

Isn’t that work complete now?

elbandgeek

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:43 pm

United787 wrote:
chidino wrote:

I was just there last week picking up my sister and everything is turned around from when I flew through over the summer. The northern half of the new bridge is open and all security is moved in there now. They demolished the old bridge after Thanksgiving and now it's a matter of building in that space to attach to the other end. Inside the terminal, the walls that were up around the north side are down and the escalators are reopened. The mezzanine level extends all the way down now with an escalator down from the upper level on the end adjacent to the new security entrance. The walls are up now to do the same thing on the south end. I think part of the food court work is starting now that the old security area space can be reclaimed but I'm not sure since I didn't see airside.

ORDLHR

Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:57 pm

elbandgeek wrote:
United787 wrote:
chidino wrote:

I was just there last week picking up my sister and everything is turned around from when I flew through over the summer. The northern half of the new bridge is open and all security is moved in there now. They demolished the old bridge after Thanksgiving and now it's a matter of building in that space to attach to the other end. Inside the terminal, the walls that were up around the north side are down and the escalators are reopened. The mezzanine level extends all the way down now with an escalator down from the upper level on the end adjacent to the new security entrance. The walls are up now to do the same thing on the south end. I think part of the food court work is starting now that the old security area space can be reclaimed but I'm not sure since I didn't see airside.

Just flew through MDW yesterday on my way back to BOS - the security area is coming along really nice! There's a little bit of work going on airside by the food court, but mostly just extra tables are in the area where the old security checkpoint used to be.
Gotta love ORD!

Planeboy17

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Does anyone know what the status of Bahamasair flying to ORD is? I know there was talk of it last winter and they may have done a charter or 2 but it shows on Wikipedia and on their website for destinations. I can’t really find any supporting data though.

qf789

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Please continue discussion in Chicago Aviation Thread - 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437979
Forum Moderator