Galvan316

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I want to say with pretty much 100% certainty, that the 777 you are seeing is Air France Cargo
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

piedmontf284000

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am

chicawgo wrote:
chidino wrote:
chicawgo wrote:

Correct. Honestly the article is complete trash -- one of the most snowflake, overly sensitive articles I've read. First of all, ANY airport that requires you to take an APM to concourses (ATL, DEN) already has this. You have to go down escalators to the tunnel and then up escalators to the concourse. What about DAL? LAS? There are tons of airports where you have to take escalators for departures.

Second, why would this really be a big deal? They will include plenty of elevators! We already have the most insane ADA requirements, now having elevators for wheelchairs isn't good enough? They might have to mix with "able-bodied people avoiding an escalator logjam?" Heaven forbid!

Third, one of the main reasons for this was to allow natural light for arriving passengers. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Isn't that worth something?

Kamin clearly has an issue with Gang's design from the beginning for whatever reason and is bitter about the decision. His article is irresponsible media at its finest.

I don't know if I'd go as far as "irresponsible media", but you're right, and I'm glad you had the guts to say it. Kamin seems stuck on the Foster design, to the exclusion of everything else. At this point, you have to ask about his motivations:

1. The Foster design, while novel, could be built tomorrow in Dubai? LA (if they had the space)? El Dorado? Timbuktu? Doesn't matter: he's the God architect who gave us a giant MacBook on the river. Someone tell Kamin Foster's the Jahn (pre-Sony) of 2019. (and, if Kamin wants to keep his "progressive" credentials, why suck up to THE corporate architect of the last 20 years?)

2. The Foster design was an illusion. Kamin keeps carrying on as if that window space would remain virginal. That's revenue, babe, and the airlines are not ponying up billions if the city doesn't maximize every revenue opportunity. Kamin is so quick to point out operational issues with Gang's unbuilt, unfinalized design but ignores blatant issues with his own selection. (And, BTW: I used to live in DuPage. A view SW doesn't get my heart racing, but it sure is good for a ton of afternoon sun. I see that "viewing area" of Foster's being about 97 degrees on a July afternoon.)

3. Does it strike anyone that Kamin's opinion seems glued to one fact -- that Foster's design would only "meet the earth" at 5 places? Uh-huh. And the Home Insurance building was the first true skyscraper in America (an equally valid, and irrelevant, point.) Exactly what does that have to do with its function? He's in love with the construction and form, not its purpose or raison d'être. Its job is obvious to apparently everyone with the exception of the architecture critic of the Trib.

And, let's face it, the a.net folks can be pretty harsh, so why is the bitching only coming from him? I thought nitpicking everything was our job! :roll:

Excellent post!

The reason I say "irresponsible media" is because of how powerful the headline is. Here was the headline: "Jeanne Gang's O'Hare design looks anything but stress-free, especially for wheelchair users." This is so irresponsible I can barely copy it here even in order to blast it. There are two reasons it's so irresponsible: 1. It gives the impression there are serious problems with the proposal as a fact! In our current world where most people just read headlines and make their decision from that, it's grossly misleading. 2. It's exploiting "wheelchair users" and people's sensitivity to accessibility based on a very early general design. Kamin knows very well that the current drawings are absolutely no indication of where the final escalators will be or how many will exist. To make such a drastic statement at this stage is truly irresponsible. And I can vouch for how powerful these headlines are as my Mom said to me this weekend (knowing I'm an aviation fan) "So I saw there are already serious problems with the new O'Hare design. They're not going to make it wheelchair accessible?" That Kamin knows it's way too early to be making drastic statements like this but does it anyway as a sort of retribution for his favorite not being picked is what makes it so irresponsible.

On an interesting note, I may not be the only one that feels this way as there's a column from the Tribune's editorial board this morning that basically reads like an apology for Kamin's column!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opi ... story.html

Kamin must have heard you guys...or maybe he reads this thread :eek:

He is doubling down on this issue, by trotting out readers who agree with him and share horror stories.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/col ... story.html

yeogeo

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:09 pm

ORDfan wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Does anyone have any numbers as to how SkyTeam members, particularly AF, KL and KE, do out of ORD? I know AF was struggling to make winters work as of a few years ago, but what about now?

I'd be curious to hear about this too. I like all their products - I forgot, how long AF have been back to year round? I've seen their 777 inbound a few times this winter, so hopefully that's an indicator that they're doing well and not just equipment subs :bigthumbsup:

Galvan316 wrote:
I want to say with pretty much 100% certainty, that the 777 you are seeing is Air France Cargo

Looked up the records of AF136 CDG-ORD and since late October they've subbed A343 3 times and B772 once for the usual 332, so I'd have to say Galvan is probably right: you've most likely seen the AF 777F rather than a triple seven subbing for the passenger route.

...and on a side note, transferred through O'Hare yesterday, late afternoon. Was great to see BA295 back to A380 and the Air New Zealand flight land in daylight again. Got to love these longer days in Spring! :cool2:

ORDfan

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 am

yeogeo wrote:
Looked up the records of AF136 CDG-ORD and since late October they've subbed A343 3 times and B772 once for the usual 332, so I'd have to say Galvan is probably right: you've most likely seen the AF 777F rather than a triple seven subbing for the passenger route.

Galvan316 wrote:

You guys are probably right... it's likely been the 777F that I've seen in distance on those grey, snowy days... BUT I'd like to think I accurately spotted that 772 on that one day. ;)

ORDfan

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 am

The CDA finally posted Dec 2018 (year end) traffic stats for ORD and MDW... you know, just 1/3 of the way into the next year.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... UMMARY.pdf

Over 83m pax for ORD with nearly 12% y-o-y growth in internation pax alone, 2.8% growth for domestic. Just wow.

MDW down slightly less than 2% total, but international growth also a bright spot there: obviously MDW subject to the wims of LUV...any hazards as to why the slowndown though? Domestic "miscellaneous" seems to be biggest loser - is that private/charter traffic?

yeogeo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:05 pm

ORDfan wrote:
The CDA finally posted Dec 2018 (year end) traffic stats for ORD and MDW.
Over 83m pax for ORD with nearly 12% y-o-y growth in internation pax alone, 2.8% growth for domestic. Just wow.

...not to mention, compared to 2017, a nearly 7% increase at O'Hare in freight (excluding express and mail) and a 4.23% increase in movements. I think Atlanta is going to have to get used to the #2 spot in that department for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for posting the link, ORDfan.

yeogeo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:40 pm

A window shot from departing aircraft on 4/15, looking east from the northwest side of the field.

You can see progress being made with the steady advance of 9C/27C: several structures already gone and one, prominently, awaiting its fate.

yeogeo

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:29 pm

United's new livery "evolution" will be presented at noon on April 24th in a hangar at O'Hare.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... n-new.html

yeogeo

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:09 am

O'Hare's taxiway bridges Alpha and Bravo need some heating system work:

gabik001

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:46 am

Can't see images...
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

yeogeo

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm

gabik001 wrote:
Can't see images...

Ah..thanks. I can see them displayed, but I never know if anyone else can see them.

Here's a link of the images: the window shot of 9C/27C and the bridge maintenance email from the CDA.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?

ORDfan

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:36 pm

yeogeo wrote:
United's new livery "evolution" will be presented at noon on April 24th in a hangar at O'Hare.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... n-new.html

Am really looking forward to this, and glad United is doing this in Chicago. Sounds like will be a brand new livery rather just a swoop "touch-up." Some websites have speculated on a return of the tulip, which I'd love to see, but the branding video released back in December goes into a lot of detail with the globe logo, so not sure that's a realistic expectation.

Anyway, here's hoping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGs3hiETjfY

yeogeo

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:57 pm

yeogeo wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

May 10th startup.

Revised to June 28th..

Do we know the CTU frequency? M/W/F would make a daily Hainan presence with their PEK Tu/Th/Sat/Sun flights.... just a suggestion :P

Okay - so they opted for a 10:50pm Mon/Fri arrival from CTU (departures 12:50am Tu/Sat), so Hainan will likely have a 6 day per week presence at T-5. Perhaps they'll operate PEK 5X in the summer to make it daily between the two routes.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20190421

Atlwarrior

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 am

yeogeo wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

...not to mention, compared to 2017, a nearly 7% increase at O'Hare in freight (excluding express and mail) and a 4.23% increase in movements. I think Atlanta is going to have to get used to the #2 spot in that department for the foreseeable future.

Yep ATL, will never operate more RJ flights than O'Hare does, but will have more PAX than O'hare for the foreseeable future.

Fargo

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Yep ATL, will never operate more RJ flights than O'Hare does, but will have more PAX than O'hare for the foreseeable future.

Why do you always like to point this out? Sure, ATL has more pax and mainline, but it comes nowhere close to matching ORD’s connectivity. Id rather have ORD’s connectivity any day over ATL’s passenger record.

ORDfan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:09 am

Some cool images from the South Tower in the link below. The first LEED Gold-certified ATC tower in America btw, and 6 other ORD buildings also got awarded.

Just wish the pics were a little higher quality. Maybe Charlie W can share them.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/tran ... 15201.html

United787

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Asiana is suspending ICN-ORD as of October 29, 2019.

Source: viewtopic.php?p=21301603#p21301603

Has this flight gone seasonal before? Wonder if it will come back?

Wonder if UA will take the opportunity and start ORD-ICN with a 787? I doubt it since they are short gates and don't have any 787s at ORD.

Disappointing that a third struggling airline has chosen to drop ORD: AV, IG (Air Italy - but never started) and now OZ. Obviously has something to do with the struggles of those airlines but hard to ignore that they all chose ORD. Wonder if ORD has too much capacity? But all three airlines were from a different continent.

evanb

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:14 pm

United787 wrote:

Wonder if UA will take the opportunity and start ORD-ICN with a 787? I doubt it since they are short gates and don't have any 787s at ORD.

Timing is interesting for UA. A few months back they increased capacity on SFO-ICN from daily to 11x weekly. I wonder if they might up that to 2x daily and maybe switch one of those frequencies to ORD.

Galvan316

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Maybe KE can start bringing the Whale into ORD :P
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

Fargo

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 pm

United787 wrote:

Disappointing that a third struggling airline has chosen to drop ORD: AV, IG (Air Italy - but never started) and now OZ. Obviously has something to do with the struggles of those airlines but hard to ignore that they all chose ORD. Wonder if ORD has too much capacity? But all three airlines were from a different continent.

This route screams for a UA 787. They are taking more 789's soon so perhaps they will. I doubt UA would want to leave ORD-ICN to KE/SkyTeam.

yeogeo

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 pm

Galvan316 wrote:
Maybe KE can start bringing the Whale into ORD :P

Well it's just become slightly more likely - depends if United reacts.

ILS28ORD

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:24 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Airports do more than just connect people. I'd take ORDs airline diversity, more large international jets and large cargo operations over all delta any day. Some people just can't handle losing 1 of 2 top spots apparently. The busiest airport in the world is measured a few ways, but the most relevant way is one that accounts for all aircraft using the airport, for all reasons, not just delta and whatever they can push through ATL. Sorry you have to live through such rough times. But get used to It. ORD isn't shrinking.

LAXdude1023

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 am

Fargo wrote:
United787 wrote:

This route screams for a UA 787. They are taking more 789's soon so perhaps they will. I doubt UA would want to leave ORD-ICN to KE/SkyTeam.

I doubt they care. UA and OZ don’t have a JV so it wasn’t like they saw any revenue from it.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Fargo

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:42 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
United787 wrote:

I doubt they care. UA and OZ don’t have a JV so it wasn’t like they saw any revenue from it.

What about east coast connections to ICN?

x1234

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:07 am

ICN is heavily KE/SkyTeam heavy with only high O&D routes (LAX, SFO, JFK, SEA, etc.) heavy with OZ. Also the DL/KE joint venture means the newly launched DL route of MSP-ICN has traffic on it. UA still sends traffic to ICN via NRT if possible with the majority leg on UA as they don't have a JV unlike with ANA.

Kbud

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:08 am

United787 wrote:

Source: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... #p21301603

And the capacity that American has taken out of ORD to AP...

Maybe Korean brings in the 748 (they have in the past), the whale seems unlikely.

x1234

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:10 am

Regarding the east coast OZ (Asiana) flies ICN-JFK with a new A350.

Planeboy17

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 am

x1234 wrote:
Regarding the east coast OZ (Asiana) flies ICN-JFK with a new A350.

And 380.

ORDfan

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:30 am

United787 wrote:

I don't think it's that disappointing when those airlines are known to be struggling, and I don't think its fair to even lump IG into that basket of "three." AV is in a long downward spiral that will likely end in bankruptcy, and OZ is much the same. Sure it's a little sad when a long-standing tail departs, but not if its for their own failures or due to broader macroeconomic issues. OZ is getting credit lines from the South Korea government now (it's effectively running on life support) and AV Holdings stock is probably going to zero soon.

ORD is a tough place to do business, and it gets carriers late in expansion cycles. There's nothing inherently good or bad about it. And specifically regarding OZ; they had a rough departure slot, no bones about it. Combined with the fact that the South Korean economy is shrinking at the fastest rate since the great recession in 08, it's battling some serious headwinds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asia ... SKCN1RY1OQ

flyingdoc787

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:23 am

Too bad about OZ dropping ORD. I’ve flown on that flight a couple of times and found the departure time (around midnight) convenient as I had a whole day to spend before driving to O’hare from my hometown in the Midwest, then simply dozing off for most of the flight until arrival into ICN early in the morning. That allowed for daytime connections to my final destination (SE Asia). The return was also convenient, as it meant an early afternoon departure from SE Asia, late evening departure from ICN, and mid-evening arrival into ORD. I’d hop on my car and drive back home, getting back around midnight, and sleeping well to wake up ready the next day.
EVA Air is the only other carrier with a similar schedule. I do hope they keep ORD.

sircygnus

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:43 pm

While I'm sure many of you have seen pictures more recent, the standard (non-globe) aerial photograph that Google Maps uses has been updated at Ohare. De-icing facility had started to take shape as well as 9C-27C. Perusing is always fun for those of us who don't get to Ohare all that often.

United787

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:25 pm

sircygnus wrote:
While I'm sure many of you have seen pictures more recent, the standard (non-globe) aerial photograph that Google Maps uses has been updated at Ohare. De-icing facility had started to take shape as well as 9C-27C. Perusing is always fun for those of us who don't get to Ohare all that often.

Thank you for making note of the new satellite image!

I think this is the first one to show the new "L Stinger" concourse in operation.

Also nice to see the progress made to the western end of 9C-27C. The two most western buildings are now gone in the image and the new AA hanger is almost done.

The satellite looks to be from last summer so crazy that it is already outdated!

yeogeo

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Effective May 1, Norwegian, on three of the four days of operation, will again be using leased aircraft for its LGW<>ORD route.
Norwegian flies M/W/F/Sun into O'Hare from Gatwick and starts Barcelona on June 7 with a M/W/F/Sat schedule.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20190429

The leased operations will be with Wamos Air's A-330 and crew.

jcwr56

Wed May 01, 2019 5:53 pm

United787

Wed May 01, 2019 6:14 pm

jcwr56 wrote:

So, please correct my William Barr summary but sounds like the FAA is temporarily suspending ORD's Level 2 classification for the winter with final determination this summer. I assume this is a good thing for ORD and proves the OMP is working, even before it is complete? I get the sense that the temporary suspension will be made permanent this summer given ORD was given the preliminary suspension but LAX and SFO were not?

So what does this mean? Can the airlines start scheduling more flights during the peak hours?

muralir

Thu May 02, 2019 6:04 pm

I flew into ORD last week on Frontier and was surprised to see that we arrived in T5. Given how busy T5 is with all their international carriers, it doesn't seem to make sense. They even have a few flights during the peak afternoon times when the terminal is jam-packed with int'l flights. So it's not just about utilizing non-peak times. Anyone know why Frontier was shifted from T3 last year? Is T3 busier than T5?

ILS28ORD

Fri May 03, 2019 3:26 am

muralir wrote:
I flew into ORD last week on Frontier and was surprised to see that we arrived in T5. Given how busy T5 is with all their international carriers, it doesn't seem to make sense. They even have a few flights during the peak afternoon times when the terminal is jam-packed with int'l flights. So it's not just about utilizing non-peak times. Anyone know why Frontier was shifted from T3 last year? Is T3 busier than T5?

Frontier moved last year. It's the first of the LCC's to make the move, the rest, and Delta, will follow. There are narrowbody gates on the west end of T5 that F9 uses and more will be added once the T5 expansion to the east gets going. Only AA and partners will remain in T3 eventually. Same goes for UA and their partners in T1. It's the beginning of aligning carriers by alliance at the terminals. Anyone not OW or SA will be relegated to T5.

kordcj

Fri May 03, 2019 7:45 am

jcwr56 wrote:

Is this the announcement you alluded to in the other thread? Great to see ORD is getting unshackled. Hopefully the airlines don’t ruin it with overscheduling. Does the FAA take into consideration gate constraints when deciding what airport the airlines will have to submit schedules for?
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

muralir

Fri May 03, 2019 2:10 pm

ILS28ORD wrote:
Frontier moved last year. It's the first of the LCC's to make the move, the rest, and Delta, will follow. There are narrowbody gates on the west end of T5 that F9 uses and more will be added once the T5 expansion to the east gets going. Only AA and partners will remain in T3 eventually. Same goes for UA and their partners in T1. It's the beginning of aligning carriers by alliance at the terminals. Anyone not OW or SA will be relegated to T5.

Sure, but why would they do this before the new gates are open? The new gates are still probably 1-2 years away. No need to make t5 even busier before then.

United787

Fri May 03, 2019 6:01 pm

I was just looking at the new aerial of ORD on Google and wondering how the new deicing pad would work (or not) with a western terminal or is it assumed that won't happen anymore? Putting aside my opinions on the impracticality of a western terminal, I wonder if the deicing pad makes it more difficult?

The latest overall rendering shows the western parking lot and employee screening west of Taxiway Z. It seems like you could fit a MDW sized terminal and single loaded concourse in that space and that is about it. Satellite's 3 & 4 could fit between Sat 2 and the deicing.

http://www.ord21.com/SiteCollectionImag ... verall.jpg

Thoughts?

yeogeo

Sat May 04, 2019 1:27 pm

American starts its daily flight to Athens from O'Hare this evening: AA160 departs at 5:35pm for its 10 & 1/2 hour flight on the 788.
Am I right that this route has not been operated since the days that Olympic used to fly to O'Hare?

Who here can tell me the history of Olympic flying into ORD? I remember as a boy frequently seeing their 707 at the old International Terminal in the 60's.
If it was a one stop route for them I don't recall the intermediate stop.

ORDfan

Sat May 04, 2019 7:19 pm

ILS28ORD wrote:

It's very, very early in the beginning for that... no way can T3 handle all the OW wide-bodies. In fact, I think it's a struggle just accommodating LH, which I'm pretty sure is why one of the MUC dailies departs from T5. I don't think it will be feasible to accomodate carriers by alliance until the Global Terminal is completed...which I am skeptical of the city's 5-6yr time frame. I am betting that is about a decade away.

yeogeo wrote:
American starts its daily flight to Athens from O'Hare this evening: AA160 departs at 5:35pm for its 10 & 1/2 hour flight on the 788.
Am I right that this route has not been operated since the days that Olympic used to fly to O'Hare?

View Medium • View Large
Photo by Mel Lawrence

Who here can tell me the history of Olympic flying into ORD? I remember as a boy frequently seeing their 707 at the old International Terminal in the 60's.

One of my first memories of flying at ORD was seeing an Olympic 747 take of on 14R / 32L back in the early 90's. I was actually on a Swiss 743 at the time.

IIRC correctly, someone on here mentioned that they left some time in early/mid-90s, but I'm sure what the final year of service was. Glad to know others remember them as well.

AA had a cool little ceremony in the terminal to mark the beginning of the flight, yesterday. The video is posted on the O'hare FB page.

ILS28ORD

Sat May 04, 2019 10:10 pm

ORDfan wrote:
ILS28ORD wrote:

It's very, very early in the beginning for that... no way can T3 handle all the OW wide-bodies. In fact, I think it's a struggle just accommodating LH, which I'm pretty sure is why one of the MUC dailies departs from T5. I don't think it will be feasible to accomodate carriers by alliance until the Global Terminal is completed...which I am skeptical of the city's 5-6yr time frame. I am betting that is about a decade away.

yeogeo wrote:

View Medium • View Large
Photo by Mel Lawrence

One of my first memories of flying at ORD was seeing an Olympic 747 take of on 14R / 32L back in the early 90's. I was actually on a Swiss 743 at the time.

IIRC correctly, someone on here mentioned that they left some time in early/mid-90s, but I'm sure what the final year of service was. Glad to know others remember them as well.

AA had a cool little ceremony in the terminal to mark the beginning of the flight, yesterday. The video is posted on the O'hare FB page.

That's why I said eventually. None the less, being very, very early on, it's still the beginning. F9 isn't returning to T3 ever, however the move this early may have been to accommodate more NK flights into T3. They seem to add more than F9, and the city seems to prefer they have more gates to use currently. F9 uses T5 gates 1-3 and NK i believe now has almost exclusive use of the east side of the L concourse, which is 7-8 gates total for them.

jcwr56

Sat May 04, 2019 11:08 pm

kordcj wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

Is this the announcement you alluded to in the other thread? Great to see ORD is getting unshackled. Hopefully the airlines don’t ruin it with overscheduling. Does the FAA take into consideration gate constraints when deciding what airport the airlines will have to submit schedules for?

The city has an Airport Scheduling Manager as outlined in the Airport Lease Agreement that will be responsible for scheduling flights.

jcwr56

Sat May 04, 2019 11:52 pm

ILS28ORD wrote:
muralir wrote:

This isn’t factual true as the city will have the right to allocate preferential and common use facilities as the airport sees fit. You could see common use gates assigned within the the OGT and preferential gates assigned within T5.

ILS28ORD

Sun May 05, 2019 2:43 am

It's a ways off still, maybe you're right, but i doubt any airline like the LCCs that will be based in T5 will split Ops between T5 and other terminals, considering there isn't a plan to currently link T5 to the other terminals post-security, even though I think they should extend the (future) APM to T5 to facilitate connections between carriers, or flights on the same airline that might use T1/2/3 and T5. Everything I've read discussed in this forum regarding the expansion and carrier realignment indicates delta and the LCCs being at T5. AA and UA want more gates to add more flights. They've stated that publicly. They won't want to use T5 for that. So I'm sure they'll add flights to keep usage up and NK/F9 out of t1/2/3 and limit them to whatever expansion they can muster from T5. I'd say Alaska and JetBlue are the ones with a shot at staying out of T5.

United787

Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 am

yeogeo wrote:

Congrats to AA, ORD and ATH! I might have to take this flight next summer.

chidino

Mon May 06, 2019 4:27 pm

ORDfan wrote:
.... I don't think it will be feasible to accomodate carriers by alliance until the Global Terminal is completed...which I am skeptical of the city's 5-6yr time frame. I am betting that is about a decade away.

Your skepticism about that date is warranted: in the road show presentation by the city's finance dept to would-be investors, the OGT completion is officially pegged to 2028.

yeogeo

Tue May 07, 2019 1:55 am

There are only four photos of Sun Country Airline at ORD in the Airliners database:
A 737-800 from last month / 2009's 737-700 / 1996's DC10 / 1999's 727

We should get used to seeing Sun Country at O'Hare a little more frequently now.
Service started to MSP on the 19th of April, operating Mon/Thurs/Fri/Sun. Daily flights begin May 27.
Good Luck SY :thumbsup:

yeogeo

Tue May 07, 2019 12:38 pm

...still speaking about Sun Country...

Above is the only shot in the database of that airline at Midway, which brings up their previous attempt at scheduled service to the Chicago area in 2013. Hopefully O'Hare works out better for them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos