Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:26 pm

RicFlyer wrote:
RIC Passenger Traffic Increases 13.9%, Sets All-Time February Record

For the 17th consecutive month, Richmond International Airport (RIC) reports a record level of travelers, as February’s total passenger count surpassed the previous record established a year ago. This year, RIC airlines reported 287,683 passengers versus 252,520 in February 2018 – a 13.9 percent increase.

Passenger Traffic
For February, Delta Air Lines was the market share leader for the month, with 30.9 percent of RIC’s passengers. American and United followed with 30.3 percent and 13.4 percent, respectively. New entrant Spirit claimed a passenger share of 5.0 percent. In February, all signatory carriers reported year-over-year growth, led by JetBlue (+15.9%), United (+14.7%), and American (+11.7%).

With eight months complete, FY19 passenger traffic has increased 13.2 percent.
https://flyrichmond.com/ric-passenger-t ... ry-record/

Interesting thing of the last year has been that Delta's market share has gone from 35% to 30.9% while American has gone from 26.1% to 30.3% and Spirit now has 5% with just one flight to each FLL & MCO.





Thanks for this information. It is surprising to me how little play RIC's growth gets in the aviation media. RIC struggled for years to reach 3,000,000 pax per year. They have now blown by 4,000,000 pax and have experienced explosive growth for almost 2 years. Personally, I think it will continue as Richmond is very strong economically with a solid Fortune 500 business base in the area.

The fact WN is finally adding a few flights is encouraging. I think they might be dipping their toe in the water to see if a significant expansion is viable. Additional flights west are very much needed. I think STL, MDW, LAS, and PHX would all be very successful. Possibly SLC with a DL A220. DEN on F9 is a must as UA has been very successful with two daily mainline flights.

I guess we'll all see what happens. Thanks again for the info.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
RicFlyer
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:52 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:
RIC Passenger Traffic Increases 13.9%, Sets All-Time February Record

For the 17th consecutive month, Richmond International Airport (RIC) reports a record level of travelers, as February’s total passenger count surpassed the previous record established a year ago. This year, RIC airlines reported 287,683 passengers versus 252,520 in February 2018 – a 13.9 percent increase.

Passenger Traffic
For February, Delta Air Lines was the market share leader for the month, with 30.9 percent of RIC’s passengers. American and United followed with 30.3 percent and 13.4 percent, respectively. New entrant Spirit claimed a passenger share of 5.0 percent. In February, all signatory carriers reported year-over-year growth, led by JetBlue (+15.9%), United (+14.7%), and American (+11.7%).

With eight months complete, FY19 passenger traffic has increased 13.2 percent.
https://flyrichmond.com/ric-passenger-t ... ry-record/

Interesting thing of the last year has been that Delta's market share has gone from 35% to 30.9% while American has gone from 26.1% to 30.3% and Spirit now has 5% with just one flight to each FLL & MCO.





Thanks for this information. It is surprising to me how little play RIC's growth gets in the aviation media. RIC struggled for years to reach 3,000,000 pax per year. They have now blown by 4,000,000 pax and have experienced explosive growth for almost 2 years. Personally, I think it will continue as Richmond is very strong economically with a solid Fortune 500 business base in the area.

The fact WN is finally adding a few flights is encouraging. I think they might be dipping their toe in the water to see if a significant expansion is viable. Additional flights west are very much needed. I think STL, MDW, LAS, and PHX would all be very successful. Possibly SLC with a DL A220. DEN on F9 is a must as UA has been very successful with two daily mainline flights.

I guess we'll all see what happens. Thanks again for the info.


I agree RIC needs service to the west coast. I think LAS on Spirit would be great if it could connect to other flights to west coast cities. Maybe F9 could throw a dart on the routs map and have it land on RIC...lol
 
DCAfan
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:23 pm

atcsundevil,

I disagree with you that Nextgen won't add capacity at DCA. The IFR acceptance rate is 28 per hour, which is what slots are based on. With Nextgen VFR becomes the new IFR with an acceptance rate of 32 per hour. In addition the short runways, which can be used by large regional jets and small mainline jets will have all weather navaids that will make them a more attractive option for pilots.
 
blockski
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm

DCAfan wrote:
atcsundevil,

I disagree with you that Nextgen won't add capacity at DCA. The IFR acceptance rate is 28 per hour, which is what slots are based on. With Nextgen VFR becomes the new IFR with an acceptance rate of 32 per hour. In addition the short runways, which can be used by large regional jets and small mainline jets will have all weather navaids that will make them a more attractive option for pilots.


Take it up with the FAA, then. Nextgen will not increase DCA’s capacity, nor will it change the slot situation.
 
DCAfan
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:55 am

DCAfan wrote:
atcsundevil,

I disagree with you that Nextgen won't add capacity at DCA. The IFR acceptance rate is 28 per hour, which is what slots are based on. With Nextgen VFR becomes the new IFR with an acceptance rate of 32 per hour. In addition the short runways, which can be used by large regional jets and small mainline jets will have all weather navaids that will make them a more attractive option for pilots.

DCAfan — my username should be a hint at what it is that I do for a living. But that's fine, you're the expert.
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:59 pm

RicFlyer wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:
RIC Passenger Traffic Increases 13.9%, Sets All-Time February Record

For the 17th consecutive month, Richmond International Airport (RIC) reports a record level of travelers, as February’s total passenger count surpassed the previous record established a year ago. This year, RIC airlines reported 287,683 passengers versus 252,520 in February 2018 – a 13.9 percent increase.

Passenger Traffic
For February, Delta Air Lines was the market share leader for the month, with 30.9 percent of RIC’s passengers. American and United followed with 30.3 percent and 13.4 percent, respectively. New entrant Spirit claimed a passenger share of 5.0 percent. In February, all signatory carriers reported year-over-year growth, led by JetBlue (+15.9%), United (+14.7%), and American (+11.7%).

With eight months complete, FY19 passenger traffic has increased 13.2 percent.
https://flyrichmond.com/ric-passenger-t ... ry-record/

Interesting thing of the last year has been that Delta's market share has gone from 35% to 30.9% while American has gone from 26.1% to 30.3% and Spirit now has 5% with just one flight to each FLL & MCO.





Thanks for this information. It is surprising to me how little play RIC's growth gets in the aviation media. RIC struggled for years to reach 3,000,000 pax per year. They have now blown by 4,000,000 pax and have experienced explosive growth for almost 2 years. Personally, I think it will continue as Richmond is very strong economically with a solid Fortune 500 business base in the area.

The fact WN is finally adding a few flights is encouraging. I think they might be dipping their toe in the water to see if a significant expansion is viable. Additional flights west are very much needed. I think STL, MDW, LAS, and PHX would all be very successful. Possibly SLC with a DL A220. DEN on F9 is a must as UA has been very successful with two daily mainline flights.

I guess we'll all see what happens. Thanks again for the info.


I agree RIC needs service to the west coast. I think LAS on Spirit would be great if it could connect to other flights to west coast cities. Maybe F9 could throw a dart on the routs map and have it land on RIC...lol


My most likely scenarios for west coast service are: F9/NK to LAS/LAX, AA to LAX, and UA to SFO. My best guesses are UA, F9, and NK (with NK being the most likely). UA seems to dominate the west coast out of RIC through IAD, IAH, and DEN. United has been expanding the service to DEN, so I think their next step is probably mainline to IAH or SFO. NK still has a lot of expansion in RIC.
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?
 
capitalflyer
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:03 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
DCAfan wrote:
atcsundevil,

I disagree with you that Nextgen won't add capacity at DCA. The IFR acceptance rate is 28 per hour, which is what slots are based on. With Nextgen VFR becomes the new IFR with an acceptance rate of 32 per hour. In addition the short runways, which can be used by large regional jets and small mainline jets will have all weather navaids that will make them a more attractive option for pilots.

DCAfan — my username should be a hint at what it is that I do for a living. But that's fine, you're the expert.



The runways are maxed out, but there will still be incremental increase in pax with upgauging. After the new concourse is complete, what size planes will the new gates be able to hold? Are they limited to E-Jets, or could 737/A320 size fit or even a 757/321? Maybe other existing gates could be adjusted to fit larger equipment if they are needed less often for RJs?

This might result in maybe an additional 1000? 100? (Per Day). Overall, there might be room for another 500,000 pax at DCA?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:12 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
The runways are maxed out, but there will still be incremental increase in pax with upgauging. After the new concourse is complete, what size planes will the new gates be able to hold? Are they limited to E-Jets, or could 737/A320 size fit or even a 757/321? Maybe other existing gates could be adjusted to fit larger equipment if they are needed less often for RJs?

This might result in maybe an additional 1000? 100? (Per Day). Overall, there might be room for another 500,000 pax at DCA?

Absolutely. Using larger aircraft in the future is definitely a way to increase capacity, but DCAfan was asserting that somehow the airport acceptance rate will increase because of unspecified NEXTGEN programs. He's saying that the arrival rate will increase by four per hour, meaning an additional eight total movements per hour — that means that an additional ≈8 minutes of runway occupancy time per hour will magically materialize itself. As if DCA doesn't already hold aircraft on a near daily basis at current levels...
 
User avatar
msp747
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:42 pm

DCAfan wrote:
DCA has potential for expansion due to the FAA's Nextgen program . It also has the real estate to accommodate this growth between the banjo gates and the B connector. Virginia will make the call. and I think in the end they will make the right capi as the cost of fully redeveloping Terminal A at DCA would be so much cheaper than developing Concourse E at IAD.


Who has said anything about Concourse E? I think it's pretty clear there is no need for that at this time. Are you suggesting that MWAA plans to build a new concourse for UA/Star partners and then leave the current C/D for other airlines? Everything MWAA has done to this point shows they plan to replace C/D, not supplement it. The underground train station wouldn't be where it was otherwise. They didn't do that because they thought travelers needed to walk more, they did it because they plan to eventually get rid of C/D.
 
LoudounHound
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 pm

UA starting IAD/SRQ service Oct. 27. Twice daily using E175.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business ... 78489.html
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8633
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm

LoudounHound wrote:
UA starting IAD/SRQ service Oct. 27. Twice daily using E175.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business ... 78489.html


Was this UA's only IAD addition announced today?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
LoudounHound
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm

727LOVER wrote:
LoudounHound wrote:
UA starting IAD/SRQ service Oct. 27. Twice daily using E175.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business ... 78489.html


Was this UA's only IAD addition announced today?


Actually just saw that they are adding IAD/RSW on same day, also twice daily. Plus starting their seasonal IAD/MIA daily flight two months earlier than last year.

AFAIK, this is the first time either SRQ or RSW have had nonstop IAD service.
 
N292UX
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:01 am

LoudounHound wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
LoudounHound wrote:
UA starting IAD/SRQ service Oct. 27. Twice daily using E175.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business ... 78489.html


Was this UA's only IAD addition announced today?


Actually just saw that they are adding IAD/RSW on same day, also twice daily. Plus starting their seasonal IAD/MIA daily flight two months earlier than last year.

AFAIK, this is the first time either SRQ or RSW have had nonstop IAD service.

I think UA used to fly IAD-RSW in the early 2010s. I don't think they've ever flown IAD-SRQ though.
 
blockski
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:35 pm

April's MWAA Board Meeting documents are posted:

https://www.mwaa.com/about/april-17-201 ... e-meetings

One cool item: MWAA is going to release a solicitation for a new lounge at Dulles, located in the base of the historic tower: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... tional.pdf

I'd love to see them find a way to use the actual tower as well, or re-open the observation deck...
 
OpsCheckNML
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Off topic slightly. But do you guys ever see DL adding a west coast flight from BWI. DCA has LAX and IAD has SEA.
 
uconn99
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 pm

OpsCheckNML wrote:
Off topic slightly. But do you guys ever see DL adding a west coast flight from BWI. DCA has LAX and IAD has SEA.


BWI-LAX is well served IMO with WN, UA, and AS all flying the route. BWI-SEA may have some opportunity since only AS flys the route 1x daily.
 
uconn99
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:




Thanks for this information. It is surprising to me how little play RIC's growth gets in the aviation media. RIC struggled for years to reach 3,000,000 pax per year. They have now blown by 4,000,000 pax and have experienced explosive growth for almost 2 years. Personally, I think it will continue as Richmond is very strong economically with a solid Fortune 500 business base in the area.

The fact WN is finally adding a few flights is encouraging. I think they might be dipping their toe in the water to see if a significant expansion is viable. Additional flights west are very much needed. I think STL, MDW, LAS, and PHX would all be very successful. Possibly SLC with a DL A220. DEN on F9 is a must as UA has been very successful with two daily mainline flights.

I guess we'll all see what happens. Thanks again for the info.


I agree RIC needs service to the west coast. I think LAS on Spirit would be great if it could connect to other flights to west coast cities. Maybe F9 could throw a dart on the routs map and have it land on RIC...lol


My most likely scenarios for west coast service are: F9/NK to LAS/LAX, AA to LAX, and UA to SFO. My best guesses are UA, F9, and NK (with NK being the most likely). UA seems to dominate the west coast out of RIC through IAD, IAH, and DEN. United has been expanding the service to DEN, so I think their next step is probably mainline to IAH or SFO. NK still has a lot of expansion in RIC.


I don't believe UA will jump on RIC-SFO when cities like Hartford (was seasonal until this year) and Providence with much larger catchment area's don't have service. Does anyone have the O&D between RIC and SFO to compare to airports like BDL, PVD, BUF, ect....?

Spirit is expanding in LAS, I could see RIC-LAS happening if there is decent O&D between them.
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 am

uconn99 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
RicFlyer wrote:

I agree RIC needs service to the west coast. I think LAS on Spirit would be great if it could connect to other flights to west coast cities. Maybe F9 could throw a dart on the routs map and have it land on RIC...lol


My most likely scenarios for west coast service are: F9/NK to LAS/LAX, AA to LAX, and UA to SFO. My best guesses are UA, F9, and NK (with NK being the most likely). UA seems to dominate the west coast out of RIC through IAD, IAH, and DEN. United has been expanding the service to DEN, so I think their next step is probably mainline to IAH or SFO. NK still has a lot of expansion in RIC.


I don't believe UA will jump on RIC-SFO when cities like Hartford (was seasonal until this year) and Providence with much larger catchment area's don't have service. Does anyone have the O&D between RIC and SFO to compare to airports like BDL, PVD, BUF, ect....?

Spirit is expanding in LAS, I could see RIC-LAS happening if there is decent O&D between them.


If NK does end up doing LAS, we probably won’t see anything from F9 for a LONG time.
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 am

uconn99 wrote:
OpsCheckNML wrote:
Off topic slightly. But do you guys ever see DL adding a west coast flight from BWI. DCA has LAX and IAD has SEA.


BWI-LAX is well served IMO with WN, UA, and AS all flying the route. BWI-SEA may have some opportunity since only AS flys the route 1x daily.

AS recently added a second frequency (less than weekly and seasonal, I believe), and WN flies BWI-SEA at least daily. NK also flies the route seasonally (they also fly BWI-LAX year round). That being said, BWI-SEA is certainly less crowded than BWI-LAX, and I wouldn't rule out a daily 737-800 from Delta if they were to aggressively expand SEA.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
uconn99
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 am

BWIAirport wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
OpsCheckNML wrote:
Off topic slightly. But do you guys ever see DL adding a west coast flight from BWI. DCA has LAX and IAD has SEA.


BWI-LAX is well served IMO with WN, UA, and AS all flying the route. BWI-SEA may have some opportunity since only AS flys the route 1x daily.

AS recently added a second frequency (less than weekly and seasonal, I believe), and WN flies BWI-SEA at least daily. NK also flies the route seasonally (they also fly BWI-LAX year round). That being said, BWI-SEA is certainly less crowded than BWI-LAX, and I wouldn't rule out a daily 737-800 from Delta if they were to aggressively expand SEA.


Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware BWI-SEA had that many options. I used Flight Radar for a quick search with routes from BWI and only found the one BWI-SEA flight on AS. I always found flight radar's route map feature pretty accurate.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/bwi/routes
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:44 pm

uconn99 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

BWI-LAX is well served IMO with WN, UA, and AS all flying the route. BWI-SEA may have some opportunity since only AS flys the route 1x daily.

AS recently added a second frequency (less than weekly and seasonal, I believe), and WN flies BWI-SEA at least daily. NK also flies the route seasonally (they also fly BWI-LAX year round). That being said, BWI-SEA is certainly less crowded than BWI-LAX, and I wouldn't rule out a daily 737-800 from Delta if they were to aggressively expand SEA.


Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware BWI-SEA had that many options. I used Flight Radar for a quick search with routes from BWI and only found the one BWI-SEA flight on AS. I always found flight radar's route map feature pretty accurate.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/bwi/routes

Oops, it looks like both WN and NK are seasonal, so it makes sense only AS appears on fr24's route map right now. That certainly leaves a window open for DL.
Side question, isn't there a specific date many summer seasonal routes begin? That has to be coming up.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
LoudounHound
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:53 pm

A few newsworthy items. First, the OAG thread this week reported that UA is extending the IAD/FCO route through November; AFAIK, the route has been strictly seasonal for years, ending in October.

Second, it was reported in the UA Flights by Hub thread that UA is seeking to use three of the Z gates at IAD. I believe these gates have gone mostly unused for years. I'm guessing they would use the Z gates for primarily O/D routes, perhaps hub to hub like ORD, EWR and IAH.

Finally, I saw in the MWAA April meeting minutes that the Authority is seeking to rebuild a "passenger lounge" at the base of the original tower at IAD. This space was previously a TGI Friday that closed when the underground rail system construction began. That could get some use if UA starts using the Z gates.
 
N292UX
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 pm

I've always thought that both IAD-FCO/MAD (especially MAD) would be able to work year-round, even if it's less than daily in the winter. MAD is a large capital city, and should have a decent enough pull to maintain year round service along with EWR. FCO is similar in the sense that there should be a rather strong pull year round. Plus, if you factor in connecting traffic, which UA wants more of in IAD, you'd think those two routes could work year round.
 
N292UX
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm

In other news, SY's first flights to IAD begin today. Not sure of the exact arrival time, though.
 
capitalflyer
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Z6 is used by AC, Z9 is used (fittingly) by F9, Sun Country uses Z10. US used to be on Z but moved to B after merger.

I would agree with hub routes using these. EWR definitely as it has a couple E45 and 737. IAH not as much as it has a 757 and 767 on two of its flights. So maybe EWR and ORD at least.

Side note, any thinking on whether Z 1-5 will get built out? Or Z8 for that matter. Why did they skip it? If they wanted they could extend the 6-10 wing and get another gate or 2. Might come in handy down the line, perhaps as part of larger concourse building project.
 
winstonavgeek
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 pm

A bit of news that has not been discussed in this thread as of late: Air France will be increasing their winter IAD service from 7 to 11 weekly with the new flight operating on Monday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday using A330s
Source: https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/news ... r-schedule
 
Sportfanatic1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:54 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Am I seeing correctly on FR24 that there have been a couple commercial flights take off from Andrews this afternoon? Seen both LL258 and SY8972. Any thoughts? Results of Friday's inclement weather?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Sportfanatic1 wrote:
Am I seeing correctly on FR24 that there have been a couple commercial flights take off from Andrews this afternoon? Seen both LL258 and SY8972. Any thoughts? Results of Friday's inclement weather?

The military regularly charters commercial carriers.
 
LoudounHound
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:42 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Z6 is used by AC, Z9 is used (fittingly) by F9, Sun Country uses Z10. US used to be on Z but moved to B after merger.

I would agree with hub routes using these. EWR definitely as it has a couple E45 and 737. IAH not as much as it has a 757 and 767 on two of its flights. So maybe EWR and ORD at least.

Side note, any thinking on whether Z 1-5 will get built out? Or Z8 for that matter. Why did they skip it? If they wanted they could extend the 6-10 wing and get another gate or 2. Might come in handy down the line, perhaps as part of larger concourse building project.


Honestly, I haven't been in the Z gate area for years, so I'll have to take your word for the current usage. If true, though, I don't see how the MWAA can carve out space for UA without forcing one or more of the current occupants out to the B Concourse. I don't know why they never built out Z 1-5, nor have I heard or seen anything about any near term plans. They've really put a lid on capital spending in recent years.
 
rjmf22
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:04 am

LoudounHound wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:
Z6 is used by AC, Z9 is used (fittingly) by F9, Sun Country uses Z10. US used to be on Z but moved to B after merger.

I would agree with hub routes using these. EWR definitely as it has a couple E45 and 737. IAH not as much as it has a 757 and 767 on two of its flights. So maybe EWR and ORD at least.

Side note, any thinking on whether Z 1-5 will get built out? Or Z8 for that matter. Why did they skip it? If they wanted they could extend the 6-10 wing and get another gate or 2. Might come in handy down the line, perhaps as part of larger concourse building project.


Honestly, I haven't been in the Z gate area for years, so I'll have to take your word for the current usage. If true, though, I don't see how the MWAA can carve out space for UA without forcing one or more of the current occupants out to the B Concourse. I don't know why they never built out Z 1-5, nor have I heard or seen anything about any near term plans. They've really put a lid on capital spending in recent years.


The only carriers that currently use the Z gates are Air Canada and Frontier. Silver Airways used to serve when they used to serve IAD, but that's it. The space that Z1-5 WOULD go is currently being used for storage for the mobile lounges.
United Airlines
 
RicFlyer
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 12:55 am

March Passenger Traffic Increases 12.9% to Establish New Monthly Record at Richmond International Airport

RIC Reports Its 18th Consecutive Record Month

Richmond International Airport, VA (April 30, 2019) Richmond International Airport (RIC) reports 366,592 travelers transiting the facility in March 2019, a new monthly record topping the previous March passenger traffic mark of 324,714 set one year ago. This is the 18th consecutive month that RIC has reported a new record.

Passenger Traffic
For March, passenger traffic rose 12.9 percent compared to the same period a year ago. Delta was the market share leader with 33.0 percent of all passenger traffic, followed by American and United. In terms of year-over-year growth, six incumbent air carriers reported growth during the month with Spirit (+128.0%), Allegiant (+22.7%), and JetBlue (+16.2%) reporting the largest year-over-year gains.

For the first nine months of FY2019, passenger traffic is up 13.2 percent........

https://flyrichmond.com/march-passenger ... l-airport/
 
washingtonflyer
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 3:40 am

Boy, Saturday was a cray-cray day at DCA. A ton of miss approaches, wind shear events, and Rwy 33 action. Wind was blowing 320 at 29 gusting 39 at times. Several jets were reporting +/- 13 air speed shifts during finals.
 
capitalflyer
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Just heard on radio that Egyptair is doing IAD-CAI starting in June. Was this previously announced or is it new?
 
N292UX
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Just heard on radio that Egyptair is doing IAD-CAI starting in June. Was this previously announced or is it new?

It's been announced for a while. Not sure when exactly. A few months ago I believe
 
rjmf22
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 7:31 pm

Alitalia's first flight to IAD landed about 2 hours ago. Nice to have another airline serving Dulles!
United Airlines
 
blockski
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm

LoudounHound wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:
Z6 is used by AC, Z9 is used (fittingly) by F9, Sun Country uses Z10. US used to be on Z but moved to B after merger.

I would agree with hub routes using these. EWR definitely as it has a couple E45 and 737. IAH not as much as it has a 757 and 767 on two of its flights. So maybe EWR and ORD at least.

Side note, any thinking on whether Z 1-5 will get built out? Or Z8 for that matter. Why did they skip it? If they wanted they could extend the 6-10 wing and get another gate or 2. Might come in handy down the line, perhaps as part of larger concourse building project.


Honestly, I haven't been in the Z gate area for years, so I'll have to take your word for the current usage. If true, though, I don't see how the MWAA can carve out space for UA without forcing one or more of the current occupants out to the B Concourse. I don't know why they never built out Z 1-5, nor have I heard or seen anything about any near term plans. They've really put a lid on capital spending in recent years.


The impression from the UA thread was that UA only needed/wanted the extra gates for the big afternoon bank, so perhaps there's more flexibility on scheduling around any other departures...

The most recent Dulles Capital Plan doesn't include much room for expansion, but it does have this line item:

10670 Aircraft Gate Expansion, $58,907,000. This project will evaluate concepts and alternatives to construct
additional gates in the terminal/midfield area. Approximately six gates will be constructed.


Now, that sure would fit with building out the rest of the Z gates.

As for options they might consider, the obvious choices would be to build the new gates on the other side (west side) of the old control tower, but that would require removing the plane mate docks used for the hardstand gates, useful because they're behind security.

There sure looks like there's enough room to further expand the existing concourse to the east as well, though not likely enough for approximately six gates.

I'm betting it dovetails with this other project:

10712 Concourse A/B Upgrades, $1,331,000. Upgrades are needed to accommodate international traffic. Designonly
funds for: Creating a sterile corridor for Gates B64 – B69, converting two narrow-body gates to wide-body
gates with double boarding bridges, and creating an A380 gate by combining two narrow-body gates.


So, the plan would be to add more international-capable gates in A/B (where the main afternoon bank is essentially full, IIRC) and then add a few more replacement narrowbody gates, potentially with the rest of the Z concourse.
 
ITB
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:50 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 02, 2019 8:15 pm

An interesting Google Earth timelapse of development in the vicinity of IAD was recently posted on the Greater Greater Washington website. The timelapse, which is selectable by year and can be enlarged, begins in 1984 and continues to 2018. Some of the development highlights include the construction of the Dulles Greenway, the privately owned toll road, in 1995; the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in 2002/2003; and IAD's 4th runway in 2007. But the overriding value of the timelapse is that it shows how development, some will say sprawl, steadily spread into Loudoun County and now completely surrounds Dulles. In 1984, there was little development west of Route 28. Only twenty years later, momentous change has occurred.

https://earthengine.google.com/timelaps ... Lng&t=0.00
 
capitalflyer
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 5:11 pm

blockski wrote:
LoudounHound wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:
Z6 is used by AC, Z9 is used (fittingly) by F9, Sun Country uses Z10. US used to be on Z but moved to B after merger.

I would agree with hub routes using these. EWR definitely as it has a couple E45 and 737. IAH not as much as it has a 757 and 767 on two of its flights. So maybe EWR and ORD at least.

Side note, any thinking on whether Z 1-5 will get built out? Or Z8 for that matter. Why did they skip it? If they wanted they could extend the 6-10 wing and get another gate or 2. Might come in handy down the line, perhaps as part of larger concourse building project.


Honestly, I haven't been in the Z gate area for years, so I'll have to take your word for the current usage. If true, though, I don't see how the MWAA can carve out space for UA without forcing one or more of the current occupants out to the B Concourse. I don't know why they never built out Z 1-5, nor have I heard or seen anything about any near term plans. They've really put a lid on capital spending in recent years.


The impression from the UA thread was that UA only needed/wanted the extra gates for the big afternoon bank, so perhaps there's more flexibility on scheduling around any other departures...

The most recent Dulles Capital Plan doesn't include much room for expansion, but it does have this line item:

10670 Aircraft Gate Expansion, $58,907,000. This project will evaluate concepts and alternatives to construct
additional gates in the terminal/midfield area. Approximately six gates will be constructed.


Now, that sure would fit with building out the rest of the Z gates.

As for options they might consider, the obvious choices would be to build the new gates on the other side (west side) of the old control tower, but that would require removing the plane mate docks used for the hardstand gates, useful because they're behind security.

There sure looks like there's enough room to further expand the existing concourse to the east as well, though not likely enough for approximately six gates.

I'm betting it dovetails with this other project:

10712 Concourse A/B Upgrades, $1,331,000. Upgrades are needed to accommodate international traffic. Designonly
funds for: Creating a sterile corridor for Gates B64 – B69, converting two narrow-body gates to wide-body
gates with double boarding bridges, and creating an A380 gate by combining two narrow-body gates.


So, the plan would be to add more international-capable gates in A/B (where the main afternoon bank is essentially full, IIRC) and then add a few more replacement narrowbody gates, potentially with the rest of the Z concourse.


This would make sense. If they do 4 gates on the west side that mirror the east, they could easily reroute the buggies around the end like on the east side. Those that hook up on the side at base of old tower could maybe just use ramps at south side of old tower. They could also add a fifth gate at the end of each wing via jetbridge without any additional extension of the actual building. Would just have to relocate storage area for luggage tugs.

It is interesting they are looking at creating additional A380 gate seeing as no more will be built. Would this be just used as a backup for additional gate flexibility or is there possibility of another A380? BA? LH?
 
EFA2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Today is the inaugural United IAD-TLV flight!
 
shaneam12
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm

UA167 LIS-IAD just diverted to DCA because of the thunderstorms, a rare occurrence indeed. When was the last time an international flight made a diversion to DCA?
 
RicFlyer
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 29, 2019 12:43 pm

RIC Reports April Growth

For the 19th consecutive month, Richmond International Airport (RIC) reports a new monthly record as the 372,025 travelers transiting the facility in April 2019 topped the previous mark of 340,590 set in April 2018.

Passenger Traffic
For April 2019, passenger traffic increased 9.2 percent compared to the same period a year ago. Delta Air Lines was the market share leader, carrying 32.7 percent of RIC passengers, followed by American and United. Six airlines reported year-over-year growth, including Allegiant (+66.7%), Spirit (+37.8%), and American (+15.2%).

For the first ten months of FY19, total passenger traffic is up 12.8 percent.

Air Service Notes

Southwest Airlines will launch a new nonstop weekend route, Richmond-Tampa, and resume seasonal Saturday Richmond-Orlando service on August 10th.
Announcing enhancements to its upcoming winter schedule, American Airlines plans to add three daily flights between Richmond and New York (JFK) starting November 21st.

https://flyrichmond.com/ric-reports-apr ... ndicators/
 
blockski
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 29, 2019 1:23 pm

I was passing by DCA today as a part of Metro's ongoing shutdown for platform reconstruction; National Airport is now the southern terminus for the Blue and Yellow lines.

While waiting to enter the station, I noticed that they've started erecting structural steel for the New North Concourse. We've entered the phase of much more visible progress...
 
capitalflyer
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:40 pm

ET is flying 10x weekly at IAD. Are these nonstop or do they have a stopover in west Africa? The ABJ leg was taken out in the OAG report on Monday.
 
ITB
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:50 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:42 am

In the last month, two interesting developments have occurred at two smaller airports in the Washington, DC region. First, at Stafford Regional Airport (RMN) in Stafford County, Virginia, it was announced the current 5,000 ft runway will be extended to 6,000 ft. Construction of the 1,000 ft extension is anticipated to commence in the fall of 2020. And, second, to the north of RMN about 75 miles away, the nation's first permanent remote air traffic control tower is expected to become operational soon at Leesburg Executive Airport (JYO) in Loudoun County, Virginia. This project, which has been in the planning stages since 2015, has been undergoing testing and certification steps since.

Together, these two developments prime the potential for commercial airline service at RMN in the not too distant future, perhaps in the next 10 years or so. At Stafford Regional, as at JYO, a remote air traffic control tower may be a feasible possibility. At the same time, it may be even more feasible to expand the remote facility at JYO to accommodate RMN. And, with a 6,000 ft runway, RMN will be able to accommodate the now standard 76-seat regional jet, including the forthcoming Mitsubishi SpaceJet M100.

Now, of course, at this particular point in time it's all speculative, but the potential for Stafford Regional Airport to become the Washington, DC area's fourth airport offering commercial airline service cannot be ruled out. The population catchment area within roughly 15 to 20 miles of RMN is upwards of 500,000. Stafford County's estimated 2017 population was 146,649, while, just to the south, Spotsylvania County's was 134,238. Add to these numbers the population of King George County, Virginia, as well as the southern population clusters of southern Prince William County and Fauquier County, and its becomes clear there are thousands and thousands of potential air travelers who reside within a 30 minute drive of RMN.

RMN is located almost exactly 50 miles south of DCA. In words and on maps, it's doesn't seem all that far. But it can be a tough, time consuming drive to DCA, and vice versa, depending on the time of day, traffic conditions, and the weather. Although IAD is farther, approximately 60 miles away, the drive is usually easier from Stafford and Spotsylvania counties than that to DCA due to lighter traffic and the avoidance of long stretches of often congested I-95. RIC is located about 73 miles south from RMN, and it's even closer for residents of Spotsylvania County. It's pretty much a straight shot down I-95. There are likely a good number of air travelers from Stafford County and Spotsylvania who choose to drive south to RIC instead of heading north to either IAD or DCA.

While it may be several years off, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who is reading this if authorities in Stafford and Spotsylvania counties are approached by airlines about the possibility of commercial airline service at RMN. Feasible routes might include RMN-ATL, RMN-CLT, and RMN-ORD, among others. In all likelihood, it would be a modest operation, with, perhaps, four to six flights a day, but the start of commercial service nonetheless.

Links:
• Article — RMN runway extension: https://www.fredericksburg.com/news/loc ... f5c5d.html
• Article — JYO remote tower: https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/ ... st-in.html
• Stafford Regional Airport website: http://www.staffordairport.com/
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 am

ITB wrote:
Together, these two developments prime the potential for commercial airline service at RMN in the not too distant future, perhaps in the next 10 years or so. At Stafford Regional, as at JYO, a remote air traffic control tower may be a feasible possibility. At the same time, it may be even more feasible to expand the remote facility at JYO to accommodate RMN. And, with a 6,000 ft runway, RMN will be able to accommodate the now standard 76-seat regional jet, including the forthcoming Mitsubishi SpaceJet M100.

I think you brought up the discussion of commercial service at RMN on here a while back. In my opinion, it's extremely far-fetched, and I can't see any possibility of it happening anytime soon. HEF would be a stronger candidate, and even that's pretty unlikely beyond the occasional scheduled charter op. At least some of the infrastructure already exists at HEF, and it's already an FAA towered airport.

RMN definitely will not get a tower or remote tower at any point in the foreseeable future — there's no funding, and there's no necessity. Don't forget this is the government we're talking about here! The FAA hasn't even stepped in to take over the ATCT at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway from Serco; IWA handled nearly a quarter of a million passengers in March. I also believe that JYO was chosen for the remote tower testing precisely because it didn't handle commercial traffic. Remote towers will only be implemented at existing FAA facilities without (significant) commercial ops, and I don't anticipate that changing for quite some time. Remote towers won't really save the Agency a whole lot of money for the time being, so it shouldn't really be considered a budget alternative to a manned tower.
 
Trk1
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 am

Any idea on the progress of construction of the IAD Polaris lounge. I was looking at the area that is fenced off on the south side of the C gates.
Is that the spot? If that is it looks like nothing is started.
 
User avatar
asuflyer05
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:53 am

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 am

Trk1 wrote:
Any idea on the progress of construction of the IAD Polaris lounge. I was looking at the area that is fenced off on the south side of the C gates.
Is that the spot? If that is it looks like nothing is started.


They have definitely started. As of Monday night it looks like they piped in a connection to the sewer main. Looks like foundation work should start soon. I will be back there on Monday, I will take a photo and post it here.
 
blockski
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 pm

A few things from this past week's MWAA Board Meeting:

They're re-organizing the rental car companies at Dulles: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... irport.pdf

For air traffic: United's expansion at IAD continues, UA is up 10% year over year at IAD: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... report.pdf

Progress report with some pictures on DCA expansion "Project Journey," including some photos of the steel mesh that will separate the ticketing area from the newly secure National Hall. Also some pictures of the structural steel that's going up now for the new concourse. https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... ourney.pdf
 
User avatar
msp747
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:01 pm

blockski wrote:
A few things from this past week's MWAA Board Meeting:

They're re-organizing the rental car companies at Dulles: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... irport.pdf

For air traffic: United's expansion at IAD continues, UA is up 10% year over year at IAD: https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... report.pdf

Progress report with some pictures on DCA expansion "Project Journey," including some photos of the steel mesh that will separate the ticketing area from the newly secure National Hall. Also some pictures of the structural steel that's going up now for the new concourse. https://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/file ... ourney.pdf

I am probably wrong, but isn't the plan to build a consolidated rental car facility at IAD? Seems strange to have them reorganize the current setup if the plan is to replace them in the not so distant future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos