Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PhilMcCrackin

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I think the flight will still happen, regardless if it's on Brussels or Eurowings or a bastardized combination of the two. EW just started flying to LAS a few weeks ago so it seems to be business as usual, for now.

BA744PHX

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
Looking at LH/EW website and PHX-FRA is still bookable well into November 2020, going into their timetable its also bookable in January 2021 (i know its not correct) but interesting this is still in the schedule.

Does anyone know when this seasonal service is to end?

I thought I had read that LH, in yet another shuffling of the deck-chairs, had decided to pull EW out of the long-haul game totally. It sticks in my memory because I thought at the time "oh, well, Condor must be breathing a sigh of relief" specifically thinking about the FRA-PHX route. If my memory is correct, then the EW PHX service isn't going to happen (which then makes your website sighting of it strange, one would think it would have been pulled by now).

I know they backed off having Eurowings take over long haul for Brussels, but I don't think they're completely ending EW long haul. It's been a confusing strategy, to say the least.

I cant find the article however in August when the route was announced it was mentioned LH will manage/plan all of EW long haul flying. Flights will still be flown by EW crew

HoyaMike

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 pm

cathay747 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
Looking at LH/EW website and PHX-FRA is still bookable well into November 2020, going into their timetable its also bookable in January 2021 (i know its not correct) but interesting this is still in the schedule.

I thought I had read that LH, in yet another shuffling of the deck-chairs, had decided to pull EW out of the long-haul game totally. It sticks in my memory because I thought at the time "oh, well, Condor must be breathing a sigh of relief" specifically thinking about the FRA-PHX route. If my memory is correct, then the EW PHX service isn't going to happen (which then makes your website sighting of it strange, one would think it would have been pulled by now).

This is not accurate -- The plan a year or more ago was to eliminate long haul on EW, that has changed and the EW PHX announcement was made long after the elimination of EW long haul was floated around.
Good article on this was recently posted on OMAAT https://onemileatatime.com/eurowings-brussels-airlines-branding/

cm642

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 pm

HoyaMike wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

This is not accurate -- The plan a year or more ago was to eliminate long haul on EW, that has changed and the EW PHX announcement was made long after the elimination of EW long haul was floated around.
Good article on this was recently posted on OMAAT https://onemileatatime.com/eurowings-brussels-airlines-branding/

It is indeed very confusing as he states! Really can't tell whether they'll operate the airlines separately as subsidiaries or eventually merge all three brands into Lufthansa, no one really knows where it's going!

alasizon

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

cm642 wrote:
HoyaMike wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

It is indeed very confusing as he states! Really can't tell whether they'll operate the airlines separately as subsidiaries or eventually merge all three brands into Lufthansa, no one really knows where it's going!

Sounds like the initial plan was to merge the front of house branding to all LH (Cityline or otherwise) and now it has flipflopped to be all back of house LH and front of house remains as is.

The entertaining part will be seeing where they park.

MO11

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:12 am

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
I think the flight will still happen, regardless if it's on Brussels or Eurowings or a bastardized combination of the two. EW just started flying to LAS a few weeks ago so it seems to be business as usual, for now.

The flight will be operated by SunExpress Germany (which operates the LAS service). This is like when we had LH operated by Condor operated by Lauda Air.

BA744PHX wrote:

Flights are only bookable 330 days out. If you go to the website and try to select October 31, 2020, it will tell you that no flights are available.

BA744PHX

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:38 am

MO11 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

The flight will be operated by SunExpress Germany (which operates the LAS service). This is like when we had LH operated by Condor operated by Lauda Air.

BA744PHX wrote:

Flights are only bookable 330 days out. If you go to the website and try to select October 31, 2020, it will tell you that no flights are available.

The flight does not operate Thursday or Saturday, on LH website its currently bookable until November 15, 2020.

I assume the flight is no longer seasonal? The other routes announced with PHX, SEA/DTW/LAS/MCO-MUC are not bookable past October 31st.

MO11

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:45 am

BA744PHX wrote:
The flight does not operate Thursday or Saturday, on LH website its currently bookable until November 15, 2020.

I assume the flight is no longer seasonal? The other routes announced with PHX, SEA/DTW/LAS/MCO-MUC are not bookable past October 31st.

The Sky Harbor press release said "until November", the Phoenix Business Journal article said "to November", and azcentral.com said "through November", so take your choice.

INFINITI329

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:53 am

i wish the CoP would seriously consider building a new FIS in the in place of T2 once its demolished. I dont understand how they expect to attract further intl service with half ass facilities

BA744PHX

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:55 am

MO11 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

The Sky Harbor press release said "until November", the Phoenix Business Journal article said "to November", and azcentral.com said "through November", so take your choice.

Thanks I was under the impression it was done in October, even thought LH timetable shows flights into January 2021. So another choice to add.....

cathay747

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:56 pm

alasizon wrote:

If as per the other replies I was mistaken with this confusing situation and the EW flight really does happen as announced, yes, you're quite right!

alasizon

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm

cathay747 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

If as per the other replies I was mistaken with this confusing situation and the EW flight really does happen as announced, yes, you're quite right!

From everything I'm aware of, the flight is still happening. Next summer B23 will be closed for concrete replacement which leaves just B25 as the sole Group IV/V gate for International flights. With AA & BA tying up that gate for most of the day I don't see how the timings will work out as it overlaps with BA by a little over an hour.

They could add yet another line to B28 but when I tried plotting it out, an A332 either blocked B26 from being able to accept anything bigger than a CR7 or it caused some overlap issues at B27 that might restrict it from being able to park a 757 or 738.

Nonrevhell wrote:
Got to fly the 788 from DFW-PHX on Saturday, late..but nice. Pax were kind of amazed that they were on such a big plane...

Just wait till it is a 772 and 789 next month; people will be really surprised. In all reality, it does its job of moving pax from hub to hub and there is actually a good amount of local demand this time of year.

chrisair

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:40 am

Any other diversions today (11/21) about 345p or was I the lucky one that got sent to Tucson after that storm blew in? Pilot said ATC was telling them hold times were 1+ hours to be cleared into the arrival corridor.

cathay747

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:50 pm

alasizon wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

From everything I'm aware of, the flight is still happening. Next summer B23 will be closed for concrete replacement which leaves just B25 as the sole Group IV/V gate for International flights. With AA & BA tying up that gate for most of the day I don't see how the timings will work out as it overlaps with BA by a little over an hour.

They could add yet another line to B28 but when I tried plotting it out, an A332 either blocked B26 from being able to accept anything bigger than a CR7 or it caused some overlap issues at B27 that might restrict it from being able to park a 757 or 738.

Starting to sound as if they might have to do a hardstand parking and bus pax!

cathay747

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:52 pm

chrisair wrote:
Any other diversions today (11/21) about 345p or was I the lucky one that got sent to Tucson after that storm blew in? Pilot said ATC was telling them hold times were 1+ hours to be cleared into the arrival corridor.

There had to have been given the wave after wave of squall lines and storms that kept rolling thru. After, what is it they've said...the 3rd or 5th driest monsoon season on record this year...and then we got this 2-day-mini-monsoon in November. Crazy.

chrisair

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:50 pm

cathay747 wrote:
There had to have been given the wave after wave of squall lines and storms that kept rolling thru. After, what is it they've said...the 3rd or 5th driest monsoon season on record this year...and then we got this 2-day-mini-monsoon in November. Crazy.

I would have thought the same thing, but we were the only jet in Tucson. Strange weather this year that's for sure.

cathay747

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:23 pm

chrisair wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

I would have thought the same thing, but we were the only jet in Tucson. Strange weather this year that's for sure.

Maybe other diversions went to LAS.

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:44 pm

cathay747 wrote:
chrisair wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Maybe other diversions went to LAS.

I got diverted for wx in July on WN. We ended up going to ONT.

alasizon

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 pm

cathay747 wrote:
chrisair wrote:

Actually hardly any diversions, the storm struck at a good time and they were able to hold most aircraft at the origin.

colemcandrew

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:03 am

Anyone know when Romeo allows heavies to taxi through? Nice either having them take the north runway or taxi Sierra (tango on rare occasions)

alasizon

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am

colemcandrew wrote:
Anyone know when Romeo allows heavies to taxi through? Nice either having them take the north runway or taxi Sierra (tango on rare occasions)

At least through mid-December, Romeo is restricted to wingspans of 171' or less due to construction at the Southwest hangar.

4holer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm

AN-124 inbound to IWA from MCO this morning!

colemcandrew

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:11 am

Interesting BA289 diverted to MSP last night. Guessing it was medical considering the flight path when redirected to MSP was normal.

colemcandrew

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:12 am

Also, we have a charter DL A333 DL8869 inbound tommorow. Anyone know where it will park? I was thinking deltas pads by T3N but i’m not sure if it can fit there. If not i’m guessing East Cargo pads.

BA744PHX

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:27 am

Well good news from Condor, they won't retreat due to LH/EW entry, also they are working to develop into year around service at 2x weekly as LAS

''Boyd said Condor plans to keep operating in Phoenix despite new competition from Lufthansa.
In San Diego and Austin, two other cities where Condor expanded and then Lufthansa launched service on the heels of its success, Condor pulled out of those markets. After the announcement in August that Lufthansa would add its Eurowings brand from Phoenix to Frankfurt, some wondered whether the same might happen here.
Boyd told me that it won't.
"This time we've decided, Lufthansa has entered the Phoenix market and we're here to stay because we don't want to be always, let's say, leaving the ground to them," he said.''

"Boyd also said that Phoenix's performance was high from the start, with strong demand not only from the U.S. but also from German travelers looking to tour the Southwest. He said Phoenix complements Condor's service from Las Vegas for these types of trips."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/ ... 263384002/

alasizon

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:30 am

colemcandrew wrote:
Also, we have a charter DL A333 DL8869 inbound tommorow. Anyone know where it will park? I was thinking deltas pads by T3N but i’m not sure if it can fit there. If not i’m guessing East Cargo pads.

It is parked at T3N. The taxilane is closed over there anyhow right now for construction so whether it really fits or not isn't an issue.

BA744PHX wrote:
"This time we've decided, Lufthansa has entered the Phoenix market and we're here to stay because we don't want to be always, let's say, leaving the ground to them," he said.''

Sounds like they are acknowledging that they need to stay and fight if they want to survive long term in a broader sense.

colemcandrew

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:13 am

alasizon wrote:
colemcandrew wrote:

It is parked at T3N. The taxilane is closed over there anyhow right now for construction so whether it really fits or not isn't an issue.

BA744PHX wrote:

Sounds like they are acknowledging that they need to stay and fight if they want to survive long term in a broader sense.

Glad to know she’s staying.
I went out and shot the DL 333, and theres a very good view of it from the upper levels of T3 garage, although it is obstructed by a GPU.
4E140CBF-629B-409E-9F75-72FF4882404F.jpeg

cathay747

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
Well good news from Condor, they won't retreat due to LH/EW entry, also they are working to develop into year around service at 2x weekly as LAS

''Boyd said Condor plans to keep operating in Phoenix despite new competition from Lufthansa.
In San Diego and Austin, two other cities where Condor expanded and then Lufthansa launched service on the heels of its success, Condor pulled out of those markets. After the announcement in August that Lufthansa would add its Eurowings brand from Phoenix to Frankfurt, some wondered whether the same might happen here.
Boyd told me that it won't.

"Boyd also said that Phoenix's performance was high from the start, with strong demand not only from the U.S. but also from German travelers looking to tour the Southwest. He said Phoenix complements Condor's service from Las Vegas for these types of trips."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/ ... 263384002/

That's great news indeed...stand and fight!! Maybe they're also thinking it might not last long given how LH keeps toying around with the EW brand and what it's going to be/do.

I also find this part interesting, had never thought of it before: "...German travelers looking to tour the Southwest. He said Phoenix complements Condor's service from Las Vegas for these types of trips." makes total sense.

treebeard787

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:19 pm

alasizon

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:31 pm

treebeard787 wrote:

I get the CVG routing for DHL lift, any idea what the HNL one would be?

treebeard787

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm

alasizon wrote:
treebeard787 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, I do know that one of these 747s is scheduled to depart to KSDF for UPS as CKS859.

wn676

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 am

Test fits are starting at T3N tonight and should be continuing irregularly through January with various aircraft types. I believe they will be testing a widebody on Friday.

MO11

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:44 am

alasizon wrote:
treebeard787 wrote:

Both of the 8700 numbers are UPS positioning flights. The second airplane will do the P1 Ontario flight.

alasizon

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:22 am

Apparently SuperShuttle will be ending service to Sky Harbor eff 12/31. Is this the first major market they've left?

https://www.azfamily.com/news/supershut ... 091af.html

chrisair

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:20 am

alasizon wrote:
Apparently SuperShuttle will be ending service to Sky Harbor eff 12/31. Is this the first major market they've left?

Nope. They left Denver and Atlanta and Minneapolis recently. Sign of the times.

cathay747

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 pm

chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Sign of the times? How so? Are Uber and Lyft eating their lunch? I hope that's not the reason. Not all of us use or would like to use either one of those.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:29 pm

cathay747 wrote:
chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Sign of the times? How so? Are Uber and Lyft eating their lunch? I hope that's not the reason. Not all of us use or would like to use either one of those.

I would imagine that Uber and Lyft are a big reason why. The value/time proposition behind them makes it challenging for SuperShuttle to compete. I'm sure the light rail having more reach impacted SuperShuttle to some extent as well.

MO11

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 pm

....and Sacramento last week. Looks like I'll be paying to park at the airport.

mach2is2slowaz

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Supershuttle failed to change or adjust their business model and price structure to compete with Uber or Lyft. For a few bucks more I could get a direct ride from Chandler to PHX which takes less than 30 min for under $30 where Super shuttle costs $28 and takes about an hr with multiple stops.

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
chrisair wrote:

I would imagine that Uber and Lyft are a big reason why. The value/time proposition behind them makes it challenging for SuperShuttle to compete. I'm sure the light rail having more reach impacted SuperShuttle to some extent as well.

When we used to take them from Gilbert to the airport, the cost difference between them and a black car was negligible. It was a no brainer.

cm642

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:35 pm

The Queens coming back!

British Airways continues Boeing 747-400 service to Phoenix on/after 29MAR20, replacing previously filed 777-300ER for summer season

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1205129434279206912

alasizon

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:44 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
Osubuckeyes wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

When we used to take them from Gilbert to the airport, the cost difference between them and a black car was negligible. It was a no brainer.

Interesting that East Valley rates are not competitive. From the West Valley (at least for me and others), SuperShuttle is cheaper than Uber/Lyft. Admittedly, I've never looked at the from-airport price of Uber/Lyft but I assume that it would be pretty much the same.

cathay747

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 pm

cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

British Airways continues Boeing 747-400 service to Phoenix on/after 29MAR20, replacing previously filed 777-300ER for summer season

MARVELOUS news! Let's just hope it really pans out!

TUSPHX

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 pm

cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

That is so amazing maybe it will be there till they retire. Was the demand more than they thought or what?

chrisair

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 pm

cathay747 wrote:

Eating? No. Eaten? Yes. Apparently they're going out of business completely on Dec 31.

SuperShuttle executives could not be reached for official comment. But two SuperShuttle reservations agents reached by telephone confirmed that the company was going out of business, as did a company executive who was not authorized to speak publicly.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/20 ... ice-to-lax

I took SuperShuttle a few times from LAX to SNA back in the day. Two trips where you stop in six cities along the way was enough for me. Especially at 4 p.m.

910A

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Speaking of 744's as I was going to my car, an Atlas 744 roared overhead landing at Williams-Gateway about 4:10pm. according to Flightaware it was over 8 hours late from the Pinal Air Park..

airzona11

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 pm

cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

Amazing!

kearnet

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 pm

This is awesome as I’ve had this dream of doing my first (possibly last) 747 flight on BA out of PHX. I was booked last spring and had to cancel when I lost my job. Figured to the flight out of the odd SJC summer schedule, but if she’s coming back than WOO HOO to me!

cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

Ishrion

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 pm

airzona11 wrote:
cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

Amazing!

Airlineroute just updated their information. The 744 isn't for the entire summer:

London Heathrow – Phoenix eff 29MAR20 747-400 continues to operate during summer season. Planned 777-300ER service revised to 25APR20 – 22JUN20, 30JUN20 – 24AUG20, 17OCT20 – 24OCT20

bryancsnider

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:25 am

Ishrion wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

Amazing!

Airlineroute just updated their information. The 744 isn't for the entire summer:

London Heathrow – Phoenix eff 29MAR20 747-400 continues to operate during summer season. Planned 777-300ER service revised to 25APR20 – 22JUN20, 30JUN20 – 24AUG20, 17OCT20 – 24OCT20

Down side is i assume flight will be out of terminal 3 again in LHR which sucks big time.

However love the plane. Just recently flew on it BA282 from LAX to LHR. It was the remodeled interior that had like 80 something J class. However, my seat in WT+ showed a lot of age. Tray table was falling apart and difficult to lift from the arm rest. However IfE was very responsive compared to the one on the A380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos