Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

treebeard787

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:27 am

910A wrote:
Speaking of 744's as I was going to my car, an Atlas 744 roared overhead landing at Williams-Gateway about 4:10pm. according to Flightaware it was over 8 hours late from the Pinal Air Park..

It was supposed to depart to Frankfurt-Hahn after a stop at IWA, but then it got delayed leaving Marana for some reason. I assume it will still head to HHN eventually, but no current flight plan is filed yet. I saw a few tractor trailer trucks on the ramp near it after it parked.
Allons-y!

cm642

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:57 am

Sounds like BA will switch things up throughout the year. 744 for Summer and 789 for winter possibly 773 sometime in the future.

monsoon84

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 am

A student and I landed at KMZJ and had to wait for that 747 to start up and then take off there. We ended up beating it to IWA! I was shocked to see the plane that just left Pinal at IWA

chrisair

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:40 am

bryancsnider wrote:
Down side is i assume flight will be out of terminal 3 again in LHR which sucks big time.

I prefer T3. The lounges are better for OW, including the awesome Cathay Pacific and Qantas lounge where they have proper coffee. I’ve found the BA lounges are pretty crowded.

cathay747

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:47 pm

chrisair wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
Sign of the times? How so? Are Uber and Lyft eating their lunch? I hope that's not the reason. Not all of us use or would like to use either one of those.

Eating? No. Eaten? Yes. Apparently they're going out of business completely on Dec 31.

SuperShuttle executives could not be reached for official comment. But two SuperShuttle reservations agents reached by telephone confirmed that the company was going out of business, as did a company executive who was not authorized to speak publicly.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/20 ... ice-to-lax

I took SuperShuttle a few times from LAX to SNA back in the day. Two trips where you stop in six cities along the way was enough for me. Especially at 4 p.m.

Holy crap! That sucks!! Was going to use their Execucar service at SAN in June. Well damn it all to hell!
Try a Little VC-10derness

cathay747

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Ishrion wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
cm642 wrote:
The Queens coming back!

British Airways continues Boeing 747-400 service to Phoenix on/after 29MAR20, replacing previously filed 777-300ER for summer season

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1205129434279206912

Amazing!

Airlineroute just updated their information. The 744 isn't for the entire summer:

London Heathrow – Phoenix eff 29MAR20 747-400 continues to operate during summer season. Planned 777-300ER service revised to 25APR20 – 22JUN20, 30JUN20 – 24AUG20, 17OCT20 – 24OCT20

Yeah I just now saw this too. Wonder what the reason is for a) bringing back the 744 and b) the switching-out with the 77W for such large blocks of time. I guess we'll never know.

Nonrevhell

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:50 pm

alasizon wrote:
Apparently SuperShuttle will be ending service to Sky Harbor eff 12/31. Is this the first major market they've left?

https://www.azfamily.com/news/supershut ... 091af.html

Someone built a better mousetrap...

I had to take them once from ONT to LAX after my commuter flight to LAX was cancelled, not a fun ride in LA traffic, but I made it there in time to catch a NZ flight to SYD, barely..

kearnet

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 am

Here is a great article about the history of the T2 ‘The Phoenix’ mural and the plans to move and preserve it.

As a side question, does anyone know the date for T2s airlines move to T3? I think I saw a few pages back in the thread said it'd be March but this article says February. I have day trip to LAX booked on UA so I can do my last T2 trips and say goodbye to a significant piece of my life.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/ ... pWFy9Y_8HU
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

alasizon

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:57 am

kearnet wrote:
Here is a great article about the history of the T2 ‘The Phoenix’ mural and the plans to move and preserve it.

As a side question, does anyone know the date for T2s airlines move to T3? I think I saw a few pages back in the thread said it'd be March but this article says February. I have day trip to LAX booked on UA so I can do my last T2 trips and say goodbye to a significant piece of my life.

The exact date is still TBD. Last I heard it was planned for the last week of February but there were some snafus some of the interior work and that assumes no issues are found on the fit tests.

It will be a two phase move; first phase is AS & UA and the second is HA & AC. Not sure when SY is moving.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

wn676

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:32 am

alasizon wrote:
kearnet wrote:

The exact date is still TBD. Last I heard it was planned for the last week of February but there were some snafus some of the interior work and that assumes no issues are found on the fit tests.

It will be a two phase move; first phase is AS & UA and the second is HA & AC. Not sure when SY is moving.

If I’m not mistaken SY will not be relocating to T3N, however, LF will be.

I would also not be surprised if we hear about a new opening date soon...

For those interested, UA has a B764 parked on the T3N ramp until Sunday. It also was utilized for test fits this evening.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

mga707

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:39 am

Here's a suggestion that I know will not happen, but would if I was in charge of Sky harbor: After Terminal 2 closes and flights have stopped, the Airport Authority should have an 'open house' allowing the public a last chance to walk through the entire terminal before it is demolished. 58 years of Phoenix aviation history right there. I know it won't happen, they did not do such a thing in 1990/91 when Terminal 1 closed, but it would be nice.

paulsaz

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 am

I wonder if they will keep the T2 garage and West Economy parking open until the Skytrain is finished? I think they are building a West parking garage around 24th and Buckeye.
All opinions are my own and do not reflect on my employer in any way.

BA744PHX

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Looks like Swoop YEG-AZA has been extended to year around, I'm surprised WS didn't select YYC-AZA for this
Last edited by BA744PHX on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick623

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:28 pm

wn676 wrote:

For those interested, UA has a B764 parked on the T3N ramp until Sunday. It also was utilized for test fits this evening.

I saw it land yesterday. Had a glow worm (new guy) on my crew, his jaw about hit the floor lol. I assume it brought the Browns into town?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

93Sierra

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Does Spirit have any plans to connect the dots to their other hubs (dtw, las and ord especially)? How’s their Seattle flight doing? Frontiers operation seems much larger then Spirirt’s here, wondering if there is only room for one ulcc?

chrisair

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:52 pm

mga707 wrote:
Here's a suggestion that I know will not happen, but would if I was in charge of Sky harbor: After Terminal 2 closes and flights have stopped, the Airport Authority should have an 'open house' allowing the public a last chance to walk through the entire terminal before it is demolished. 58 years of Phoenix aviation history right there. I know it won't happen, they did not do such a thing in 1990/91 when Terminal 1 closed, but it would be nice.

I know there’s a fondness to T2 (and count me as one of those who loves T2), but there’s not a whole lot in there that’s significant to aviation history. It’s a cramped hallway with some doors. Not a whole lot in there that’s worth seeing. It’s time, but man am I going to miss showing up 20 minutes before departure and waltzing up to the gate to be on at 15 minutes before. Is T3N going to share a security checkpoint with T3S?

I hope someone is able to do something with those prints in the basement hallway though that show the first few years of Arizona. I assume they’re housed at the Historical Society or some place similar, but it’s still cool seeing them. Especially the folks building the Hoover Dam wearing wool suits in the summer.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm

paulsaz wrote:
I wonder if they will keep the T2 garage and West Economy parking open until the Skytrain is finished? I think they are building a West parking garage around 24th and Buckeye.

Unless something has changed, the plan is to realign Sky Harbor Boulevard, which would require the demolition of the T2 garage. I believe West Economy will be staying around for a while though. The are plans for a fourth north/south taxiway around there, but I don't know if or how it affects West Economy.

mga707

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:44 pm

chrisair wrote:
mga707 wrote:

I know there’s a fondness to T2 (and count me as one of those who loves T2), but there’s not a whole lot in there that’s significant to aviation history. It’s a cramped hallway with some doors. Not a whole lot in there that’s worth seeing. It’s time, but man am I going to miss showing up 20 minutes before departure and waltzing up to the gate to be on at 15 minutes before. Is T3N going to share a security checkpoint with T3S?

I hope someone is able to do something with those prints in the basement hallway though that show the first few years of Arizona. I assume they’re housed at the Historical Society or some place similar, but it’s still cool seeing them. Especially the folks building the Hoover Dam wearing wool suits in the summer.

I'll miss the bathroom tiles with the various aircraft drawings on them. Never saw those prints you mention. They sound quite interesting. Disclaimer: Don't think I've flown out of T-2 since the mid-to-late-1980s, but visited it quite frequently in my youth, before AA moved to newly-built T-3 in 1979. Many a connection from a TUS-PHX flight to AA's 707 (flts. 111-112) nonstop to IAD. Have quite a few snapshots form the observation deck during those connections.

wn676

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:48 pm

chrisair wrote:
mga707 wrote:

T3N and T3S will share a security checkpoint. One of the selling points for T3 Mod was a combined SSCP. I think that decision was partially due to cost (expanding checkpoints over the roadways vs. within the processor) as well as flexibility with staffing and managing processing volumes. That will definitely be a change for frequent fliers accustomed to T2.

Not knowing any information on how it was sized, I wonder how well it will age with flight schedule increases and the new single-loaded concourse east of T3N.

I just left from T2 today and spent some time walking the concourse - it will probably be one of the last times I’ll go through there - especially on the ramp level which is a great way to bypass the mosh pit that occurs regularly upstairs. I think you really nailed it with the comment on a fondness for that terminal.

wn676

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:58 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
paulsaz wrote:

Unless something has changed, the plan is to realign Sky Harbor Boulevard, which would require the demolition of the T2 garage. I believe West Economy will be staying around for a while though. The are plans for a fourth north/south taxiway around there, but I don't know if or how it affects West Economy.

The cross-field Uniform/Victor taxiways were planned to go through the west cargo complex, roughly just east of 27th St. That should have been baked into the Sky Train expansion, but admittedly I haven’t been over there or seen any documents in a couple of years. In theory though you should be able to tell where they’ll eventually be built based on the alignment of the train guideway.

wn676

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Maverick623 wrote:
wn676 wrote:

I saw it land yesterday. Had a glow worm (new guy) on my crew, his jaw about hit the floor lol. I assume it brought the Browns into town?

Glow worm...

Yes, that was for the Browns charter.

The jaw-drop moment for me was the two Kalitta 747s that landed during and just after sunset. The full livery on those birds looks great. PHX is really buzzing with wides this time of year.

MO11

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Nonrevhell wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Apparently SuperShuttle will be ending service to Sky Harbor eff 12/31. Is this the first major market they've left?

https://www.azfamily.com/news/supershut ... 091af.html

Someone built a better mousetrap...

What's humorous is that Lyft and Uber are threatening to leave Sky Harbor if the city proceeds with its planned increase in pick-up (and now drop-off) fees.

alasizon

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:33 am

wn676 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
paulsaz wrote:

The cross-field Uniform/Victor taxiways were planned to go through the west cargo complex, roughly just east of 27th St. That should have been baked into the Sky Train expansion, but admittedly I haven’t been over there or seen any documents in a couple of years. In theory though you should be able to tell where they’ll eventually be built based on the alignment of the train guideway.

Yep, the Sky Train was taken below ground in front of West Cargo building C where Uniform and Victor eventually will be.

wn676 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
kearnet wrote:

If I’m not mistaken SY will not be relocating to T3N, however, LF will be.

I would also not be surprised if we hear about a new opening date soon...

My understanding is SY was supposed to be moving but they have changed so many darn times. LF I know has made it very clear they want a jetway whenever available but they understand they will have to accept F12-F14 from time to time.

93Sierra

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:35 am

Going back in time, does anybody have any info (first hand or not) of Air L.A. in Phx?

travaz

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:07 pm

This is a pretty good description of Air LA. I was in GCN when they flew BAe Jetstream 31 to the Canyon. Before the BAe Jetstream they were using Piper Chieftains. On occasion they flew Metro Liners into GCN (I hated the Metro Liners as they gave me claustrophobia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_L.A.

MO11

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm

travaz wrote:
This is a pretty good description of Air LA. I was in GCN when they flew BAe Jetstream 31 to the Canyon. Before the BAe Jetstream they were using Piper Chieftains. On occasion they flew Metro Liners into GCN (I hated the Metro Liners as they gave me claustrophobia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_L.A.

Correcting the Wikipedia article, the Air Resorts deal fell through.

jmc1975

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:59 pm

93Sierra wrote:
Going back in time, does anybody have any info (first hand or not) of Air L.A. in Phx?

IIRC, PHX-UDD was flown nonstop with a J31 for a short time.

MO11

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:21 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
93Sierra wrote:

IIRC, PHX-UDD was flown nonstop with a J31 for a short time.

A productive route for them, too. According to DOT data, it carries a total of 8 passengers on the route for the entire time it operated (which wasn't very long).

travaz

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:45 am

I dont remember them flying UDD but I only used them to go to LAS on occasion.

jplatts

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:59 pm

93Sierra wrote:
Does Spirit have any plans to connect the dots to their other hubs (dtw, las and ord especially)? How’s their Seattle flight doing? Frontiers operation seems much larger then Spirirt’s here, wondering if there is only room for one ulcc?

While NK currently has a minimal presence at PHX, I could see NK adding PHX-LAS nonstop service with PHX currently being the only NK destination in the Western U.S. that doesn't already have nonstop service to LAS on NK.

NK adding PHX-DTW nonstop service might also happen with NK already having a customer base in the DTW market to support DTW-PHX nonstop service on NK.

MO11

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:42 pm

travaz wrote:

From Phoenix? I only see that it served BLH, UDD, and BHC in the late '80s (gone in January 1989). Then it came back in 1994 to serve TIJ and HMO, adding FAT and BFL in early 1995 before ceasing operations. It did serve LAS, just not from PHX.

travaz

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:09 am

MO11 wrote:
travaz wrote:

From Phoenix? I only see that it served BLH, UDD, and BHC in the late '80s (gone in January 1989). Then it came back in 1994 to serve TIJ and HMO, adding FAT and BFL in early 1995 before ceasing operations. It did serve LAS, just not from PHX.

I was located at GCN

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:17 am

cathay747 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Amazing!

Airlineroute just updated their information. The 744 isn't for the entire summer:

London Heathrow – Phoenix eff 29MAR20 747-400 continues to operate during summer season. Planned 777-300ER service revised to 25APR20 – 22JUN20, 30JUN20 – 24AUG20, 17OCT20 – 24OCT20

Yeah I just now saw this too. Wonder what the reason is for a) bringing back the 744 and b) the switching-out with the 77W for such large blocks of time. I guess we'll never know.

Could be any number of things. 77Ws that need mx, maybe there's a destination that's better for those 77Ws, maybe bookings are strong and they need the capacity of the 744, who knows.

colemcandrew

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:36 pm

I am at the airport currently, and saw a price private jet doing a go around. So it comes back around lined up on 08, as a fire truck is near Mesa Airkines, another one by 08, and fire trucks came in front. Now a tow is driving up. Anyone know what happened? Reg is N352FX.

Osubuckeyes

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Looks like Uber/Lyft may stop PHX service before Feb 1 when the increased fees would kick in:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/uber-lyft ... 0ca4a.html

That is unfortunate timing with the exit of SuperShuttle.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
Looks like Uber/Lyft may stop PHX service before Feb 1 when the increased fees would kick in:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/uber-lyft ... 0ca4a.html

That is unfortunate timing with the exit of SuperShuttle.

I doubt that it will actually happen, and if it does, I don't think the standoff will last very long. It's just a matter of who calls who's bluff first. Uber and Lyft don't want to pay the fees, but they also won't want to miss out on the business in the first place. The airport is obviously raising fees to bond out for future projects, so losing that revenue would impact those plans. I'm guessing they'll continue to negotiate and come to some sort of an agreement...how long that takes is anyone's guess though.

kearnet

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:52 am

The simple solution is to make the 44th st station the Uber/Lyft point.

I honestly don’t know why more people don’t use it instead of jockeying for a spot at the terminals.
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

alasizon

Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:02 am

kearnet wrote:

I honestly don’t know why more people don’t use it instead of jockeying for a spot at the terminals.

It's already cheaper than the terminal, round trip is $5.60 when the pick up is at 44th St according to the table that was being used in the City Council meetings.

I think that the City will call Uber's bluff and we will end up with just Lyft for a while.

crownvic

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Sad all you dedicated PHX spotters missed the BLCF on Tuesday..

cathay747

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:55 pm

crownvic wrote:

What is a BLCF, pray tell?

crownvic

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:08 pm

cathay747 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Boeing 747 Large Cargo Freighter....Dreamlifter..

INFINITI329

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:15 pm

alasizon wrote:
kearnet wrote:

It's already cheaper than the terminal, round trip is $5.60 when the pick up is at 44th St according to the table that was being used in the City Council meetings.

I think that the City will call Uber's bluff and we will end up with just Lyft for a while.

Both are scheduled to leave in January. I think the city will flinch first however. They will go from a revenue stream that made the airport X amount of dollars to 0

alasizon

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:20 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
kearnet wrote:

Both are scheduled to leave in January. I think the city will flinch first however. They will go from a revenue stream that made the airport X amount of dollars to 0

As far as I know, Lyft hasn't announced an actual plan or date to leave, just their initial intentions as opposition to the increase in fee. Uber on the other hand has officially announced that they will cease service in January.

INFINITI329

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:43 pm

alasizon wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

As far as I know, Lyft hasn't announced an actual plan or date to leave, just their initial intentions as opposition to the increase in fee. Uber on the other hand has officially announced that they will cease service in January.

November 2019

https://www.12news.com/article/travel/l ... c8db88ee2d

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:56 pm

I don't know why they don't just pass the fee on to the customers like they always do.

cathay747

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:52 pm

crownvic wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Boeing 747 Large Cargo Freighter....Dreamlifter..

Ah! Wish you'd just said that in the 1st place.

Wonder what that beast was doing at PHX??

mountainwest90

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:36 pm

cathay747 wrote:

It was a diversion from MZJ. Weather must have been below mins at the time so they diverted up to PHX. I was lucky enough to see it land but I was pretty far away near south mountain so didn't get a good look.

Here is the flight path on flightaware:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GTI4336/history/20191224/1130Z/KCHS/KPHX

More info on what the dreamlifter are doing in MZJ can be found here:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437515

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:07 pm

mountainwest90 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

It was a diversion from MZJ. Weather must have been below mins at the time so they diverted up to PHX. I was lucky enough to see it land but I was pretty far away near south mountain so didn't get a good look.

Here is the flight path on flightaware:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GTI4336/history/20191224/1130Z/KCHS/KPHX

More info on what the dreamlifter are doing in MZJ can be found here:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437515

They actually used to live at MZJ part time when they were operated by Evergreen. One was frequently parked out on the ramp. The contract controversially went to Atlas in 2009 despite Evergreen having met contractual obligations, and they went bankrupt within a couple of years. Evergreen effectively owned MZJ.

1337Delta764

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:33 am

I wonder, is AC still moving to T3N? I haven't seen it mentioned in any recent news article.

jmc1975

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:40 am

Looks like a new airport hotel will be built where the old Rodeway Inn once stood.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ph ... b-11409044

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos