Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flycmh2009

Re: The Rest of Ohio - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:29 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
Hi all, long time lurker/first time poster. Thank you all for the frequent Ohio updates! Two CMH questions:

1. Does anyone know how the new(ish) WN CMH-HOU Route is performing overall? I just returned from a round trip on this route and the outbound flight was ~75% full (to be fair it was Valentine’s Day) and the inbound flight was packed with standby pax left at the gate in HOU. I presume the regular scheduling of -800s and MAX8s on the route is a good sign. If so, I wonder if this route is a candidate for an additional daily flight at some point?

2. Does anyone think at least one of the CMH-MSY flights will eventually go daily? I know MSY is a seasonal, primarily leisure market but find it hard to believe that a city pair of that size can’t sustain 1x daily on WN or NK. The current hodgepodge seasonal scheduling on both airlines is rough for business travel. Having connected through MSY before on WN, I would think that between connections, business, and leisure, they would be the more likely candidate for a daily flight but I don’t know the actual PDEW numbers. Thoughts?

This.

1. I was just on the outbound HOU flight myself last week and it had 70 open seats. But it's also middle of winter so hoping that day wasn't indicative of how the flight is normally performing. As mentioned, the flight does seem to be on an -800 most of the time, so hoping that's an indication of booking trends. Regardless, it's nice to have that alternative for people transiting through Houston. For UA, that's a 3hr flight on an ERJ and definitely feels cramped after about 2hrs.

2. I'd like to know the PDEW here as well. I'm not sure about being able to sustain daily service between these two markets, even during the summer. But, upping to 3-4x/week on NK would be nice to see. Speaking of NK, I don't know who will jump on it first (them or WN), but I'd also like to SAN added to the mix. I'd have to think by now, CMH could sustain summer seasonal.

Robert1010

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Looks like the Brewdog 767 charter is Enroute to LCK , AWC361

CMHtraveler

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Robert1010 wrote:
Looks like the Brewdog 767 charter is Enroute to LCK , AWC361

Yep, check out #BrewdogAirlines on social media. Lots of boarding/inflight photos and some nice swag too! Hopefully someone at LCK will post some photos once they land.

ILNFlyer

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:46 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
I'm sorry to see that airline traffic at DAY is winding down. My hope was that NK would take a look at the region & decide to serve DAY, since G4, F9 & WN now all serve CVG. However, it appears that a number of posters seem to think that NK would do O.K. at CVG. CVG is my hometown airport, but I'm skeptical. What do you midwestern A*Netters think?
NK seems much more interested in the larger airports, so I could definitely see CVG.

The Dayton Daily News within the last couple years said the airport was talking with Spirit and I agree they could probably be a hit at DAY if they wanted to take a shot at it, as the airport doesn't even have a direct link to MCO anymore as a massive number of airports in the country do. I can't believe less than daily service to tourist draws wouldn't work, especially if you could tie in those with nearby Air Force presences.

The question is do they want to potentially capitalize on that or head for the perceived land of opportunity that is CVG, with its focus cities for their two primary competitors? (How is the gate situation there, by the way? I know at one point it was near critical mass.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

AirTran had daily non-stops to MCO from DAY and the were always full.

flyguy89

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm

ILNFlyer wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
NK seems much more interested in the larger airports, so I could definitely see CVG.

The Dayton Daily News within the last couple years said the airport was talking with Spirit and I agree they could probably be a hit at DAY if they wanted to take a shot at it, as the airport doesn't even have a direct link to MCO anymore as a massive number of airports in the country do. I can't believe less than daily service to tourist draws wouldn't work, especially if you could tie in those with nearby Air Force presences.

The question is do they want to potentially capitalize on that or head for the perceived land of opportunity that is CVG, with its focus cities for their two primary competitors? (How is the gate situation there, by the way? I know at one point it was near critical mass.)

That was when CVG had the highest fares in the country and hordes of Cincinnati travelers were driving to DAY. The market dynamics have changed substantially.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Alaska will use Concourse C at CMH. Gonna assume C48 or, maybe, sharing a gate with DL?

I'm going out of CMH on DL Wednesday and will see if I can find an answer.

cvgComair

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:19 am

Amazon thread is talking of an additional 17 767s, which would bring the total to 67 aircraft. It doesn’t seem like it will be long before the fleet hits 100 aircraft!

Lets hope they break ground at CVG soon...

ILNFlyer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
ILNFlyer wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

That was when CVG had the highest fares in the country and hordes of Cincinnati travelers were driving to DAY. The market dynamics have changed substantially.

They have, but I believe a non stop to DAY-MCO could work.

ILNFlyer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:21 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Amazon thread is talking of an additional 17 767s, which would bring the total to 67 aircraft. It doesn’t seem like it will be long before the fleet hits 100 aircraft!

Many of those birds will end up working out of ILN long before they do at CVG. The new sort operation and 20 flights per day will kick off at ILN on 6/27 or thereabouts. Modifications at ILN are well underway and progressing as operation Indigo for Amazon.

cvgComair

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 pm

ILNFlyer wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Many of those birds will end up working out of ILN long before they do at CVG. The new sort operation and 20 flights per day will kick off at ILN on 6/27 or thereabouts. Modifications at ILN are well underway and progressing as operation Indigo for Amazon.

Excited to see ILN finally come back to life! Do we know how many parking spaces ILN will have for Amazon?

Nothing will be added at CVG until the new sort opens, there isn't any room. I would not be surprised to see Amazon cut capacity at CVG as DHL expands over the next few years. At the rate they are adding planes recently, they are going to quickly outgrow the CVG/ILN setup. They should be breaking ground in the coming months with an opening of Q3/Q4 2021.

Delta28L

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:05 pm

cvgComair wrote:
ILNFlyer wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Excited to see ILN finally come back to life! Do we know how many parking spaces ILN will have for Amazon?

Nothing will be added at CVG until the new sort opens, there isn't any room. I would not be surprised to see Amazon cut capacity at CVG as DHL expands over the next few years. At the rate they are adding planes recently, they are going to quickly outgrow the CVG/ILN setup. They should be breaking ground in the coming months with an opening of Q3/Q4 2021.

Probably around ten if they do a round trip on each plane they get twenty flights. I haven’t heard if it’s 20 inbound and then 20 outbound flights or just 10 inbound then outbound

cledaybuck

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:07 pm

ILNFlyer wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
ILNFlyer wrote:

They have, but I believe a non stop to DAY-MCO could work.

Me too, but I am not sure what airline would be interested.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34 pm

DL at CMH won Station of the Year for their class in 2018.

NoTime

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:31 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

Interesting... any idea how many / what kind of classes there are?

CMHtraveler

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 pm

February CRAA Board Meeting agenda is out. Highlights from January:

Impressive 9.6% YOY growth, everyone up on pax numbers except AC (down slightly) and F9 (way down). Of course, it’s still too soon for NK YOY numbers.

At first glance, other than the entrance of NK, it appears growth was driven largely by UA’s huge 12.2% gain to put them over 70k for the month. What makes this more impressive is that January aircraft movements are actually down 4.5% YOY for UA. Upgauges? Other factors? Charters were also up an impressive 24% (but percentage is deceiving as there is such a small pax total).

G4 and cargo also had a great start to the year over at LCK (up 10 and 26 percent respectively).

Strong start to the year for CMH and LCK. Anyone have insights into UA’s gains?

https://columbusairports.com/storage/pr ... 022619.pdf

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:41 pm

NoTime wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Interesting... any idea how many / what kind of classes there are?

CMH's Facebook post said "21 equally-sized airports", so there must be some sort of metric DL establishes: https://www.facebook.com/columbusairpor ... =3&theater

I'd be curious as to the specifics as well.

edit- Kind of a cool photo from their page while we're at it: https://www.facebook.com/columbusairpor ... permPage=1

I think I see 7 tails there, and C56 is out of frame to the right of where the picture was taken, which would make 8. Lots of DL RON action.

ILNFlyer

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:29 pm

cvgComair wrote:
ILNFlyer wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Plans are for 1,000 parking spaces where the former Airborne Express sort buildings B & C once stood. They are also adding multiple truck docks to the backside of F building.
What I dont understand is your statement regarding outgrowing CVG/ILN. ILN has the ramp and processing capacity for 50 birds per day, easy.

cvgComair

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:09 pm

ILNFlyer wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
ILNFlyer wrote:

Plans are for 1,000 parking spaces where the former Airborne Express sort buildings B & C once stood. They are also adding multiple truck docks to the backside of F building.
What I dont understand is your statement regarding outgrowing CVG/ILN. ILN has the ramp and processing capacity for 50 birds per day, easy.

I was referring to how many aircraft parking spaces they would have available at one time. They can only add as many flights as parking spaces since they are only doing one bank per day. Is the 50 flights in one bank or multiple? I am just interested what ILN will be able to handle with one bank.

ILNFlyer

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 pm

cvgComair wrote:
ILNFlyer wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I was referring to how many aircraft parking spaces they would have available at one time. They can only add as many flights as parking spaces since they are only doing one bank per day. Is the 50 flights in one bank or multiple? I am just interested what ILN will be able to handle with one bank.

I believe there are 18 or so 767 gates on A ramp alone adjacent to the main sort building. There are an additional 48 available across all the ramps.

cvgComair

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:55 pm

CVG has posted bids for 12 food concessions and another sit-down restaurant. Looks like 6 and 6 in both concourses. Not sure if the concessions are new or replacements of current vendors. Chapel room is also being relocated to Concourse B to free up space in the main terminal.

Also an interesting tidbit, it appears the new airline lease agreement will take effect in January 2020 with negations ongoing. It shall be interesting to see what DL does with its space usage.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:55 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:

Impressive 9.6% YOY growth, everyone up on pax numbers except AC (down slightly) and F9 (way down). Of course, it’s still too soon for NK YOY numbers.

At first glance, other than the entrance of NK, it appears growth was driven largely by UA’s huge 12.2% gain to put them over 70k for the month. What makes this more impressive is that January aircraft movements are actually down 4.5% YOY for UA. Upgauges? Other factors? Charters were also up an impressive 24% (but percentage is deceiving as there is such a small pax total).

G4 and cargo also had a great start to the year over at LCK (up 10 and 26 percent respectively).

Upgauging? Also, this is of interest:

RESOLUTION #07-19 of the Columbus Regional Airport Authority repealing and replacing the current airline incentive
programs for John Glenn Columbus and Rickenbacker International Airports, rescinding prior resolutions in conflict with
the provisions contained in this resolution, and authorizing the President & CEO to implement, and update as needed,
airline incentive programs for John Glenn Columbus and Rickenbacker International Airports.

...and was approved. Does this mean Nardone can be turned loose on his own concepts for incentive plans/packages?

ILNFlyer

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:13 pm

DAY does it again.

The average airfare for domestic flights during the third quarter of 2018 was $343.28, the lowest it has been since the Bureau of Transportation Statistics started tracking prices in 1995. But in Dayton, the average ticket is far from its lowest at $420.53 — $77 more than the national average and nearly $80 more than the airport’s low in 2009.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/da ... zRJhRWR9H/

Heights

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:10 am

cvgComair wrote:
CVG has posted bids for 12 food concessions and another sit-down restaurant. Looks like 6 and 6 in both concourses. Not sure if the concessions are new or replacements of current vendors. Chapel room is also being relocated to Concourse B to free up space in the main terminal.

Also an interesting tidbit, it appears the new airline lease agreement will take effect in January 2020 with negations ongoing. It shall be interesting to see what DL does with its space usage.

Two things I wonder are

1. Are they negotiating the framework/funding for replacing the terminal at CVG

2. DL's future role at CVG

DL is squatting on a lot of gates in B that could be better used elsewhere, if they aren't going to use them all to a decent extent, they should become common use. Given DL is down to 80 or so flights, they only need about 10-12 gates now. Long term, the terminal layout at CVG needs to become more O&D friendly. I'd like to see the entire terminal complex replaced with a similar design to IND.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Sign...sign...everywhere a sign...ImageImage

Clearly, AS and DL are both laying claim to C49, while C48 is still open.

flycmh2009

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:40 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:

No doubt, impressive numbers for UA. I wouldn't have guessed as high as 9.6% growth overall, but great to hear. UA really does seem to be filing up planes as of late, wish I knew how/why (Though we did bring in a sizable (pun intended) amount of pax from EWR for the Arnold this morning). Consistent mainline to DEN now, and soon-to-be service to SFO should continue to help with their gains. Though I'd like to see up gauges to IAH/IAD. IND can support it (who themselves just had an impressive 2018).

Could the growth from charters in January mostly be attributed to people returning from the Rose Bowl? Just speculation.

Regarding LCK, something I never noticed is how surprisingly balanced the cargo traffic is amongst carriers. Healthy competition it seems.

cvgComair

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:26 am

I posted this a little while back, but now it has reached the news. GE is doubling the size of and moving their engine repair center near CVG. I am sure this will increase the amount of cargo they are sending through the airport! https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... local12_bd

Midwestindy

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:26 am

flycmh2009 wrote:
No doubt, impressive numbers for UA. I wouldn't have guessed as high as 9.6% growth overall, but great to hear. UA really does seem to be filing up planes as of late, wish I knew how/why (Though we did bring in a sizable (pun intended) amount of pax from EWR for the Arnold this morning). Consistent mainline to DEN now, and soon-to-be service to SFO should continue to help with their gains. Though I'd like to see up gauges to IAH/IAD. IND can support it (who themselves just had an impressive 2018).

UA has better service at CMH than IND, with the exception of a frequency to DEN and SFO

Harvestman

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Interesting find pulling into CVG on 2/28...N362GT out on the tarmac with nothing but an air-stairs truck hooked up. Appears to be undergoing engine maintenance. Anyone know what it's doing there?

WWads

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 pm

No CVG love in B6's expansion announcement. Not sure they'll ever come to CVG at this point.

flyguy89

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:38 pm

WWads wrote:
No CVG love in B6's expansion announcement. Not sure they'll ever come to CVG at this point.

Yup, they're pretty much a two-trick pony: northeast-to-south and transcons. Don't see that ever changing.

jplatts

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:16 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
WWads wrote:

Yup, they're pretty much a two-trick pony: northeast-to-south and transcons. Don't see that ever changing.

B6 already serves ORD, CLE, DTW, and MSP in the Midwest, and B6 also already has nonstop service to BOS from these 4 Midwestern destinations.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:33 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
WWads wrote:

I would totally take them up on their "Purge your Instagram for free travel" gimmick if they flew to CMH or DAY. I even told them that on social media, not that it matters.

It's not worth my time to drive to PIT or CLE to pick them up.

CMHtraveler

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:20 am

DeltaRules wrote:
Sign...sign...everywhere a sign...ImageImage

Clearly, AS and DL are both laying claim to C49, while C48 is still open.

Thanks for posting these! Didn’t see any signage a couple of weeks ago other than a very nice CRAA billboard-style ad halfway down the “A” gates advertising the upcoming SEA, SFO, and SLC additions.

Leaving CMH tonight it was a treat to see AA’s retro PSA-liveried 319 being deiced for the second LAX flight of the day. On another note, has anyone heard anything about what will happen at CMH once Air Georgian exits the AC Express routes? Back to Jazz?

777-200

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 pm

ILNFlyer wrote:
DAY does it again.

The average airfare for domestic flights during the third quarter of 2018 was $343.28, the lowest it has been since the Bureau of Transportation Statistics started tracking prices in 1995. But in Dayton, the average ticket is far from its lowest at $420.53 — $77 more than the national average and nearly $80 more than the airport’s low in 2009.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/da ... zRJhRWR9H/

Ever since SWA left, fares out of DAY have been insane, esp to Chicago.

777-200

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:49 pm

http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/ ... econcourse

Article from about 5 years ago with pictures of the abandoned C concourse and terminal 1 at CVG before they were demolished.

I used to fly in and out of CVG frequently in the early 2000's, but never got to visit concourse C. Interesting set up - I wonder how it would look today if it was still in use.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:33 am

777-200 wrote:
http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/search/label/theconcourse

Article from about 5 years ago with pictures of the abandoned C concourse and terminal 1 at CVG before they were demolished.

I used to fly in and out of CVG frequently in the early 2000's, but never got to visit concourse C. Interesting set up - I wonder how it would look today if it was still in use.

I only got to travel through C a couple times. It was the most "bus station" terminal I've ever traveled through, but it was a nice setup. It reminded me of a much larger version of the 60 gates at MCO; I've never been to SLC but, based on pictures I've seen, it looks like they have/had a similar setup.

I was there they day they mounted that "Delta CHARGE" wallpaper visible in the album.

CMHMarc787

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:17 pm

CMH-SEA on AS begins tomorrow. Who here is going to CMH to spot and welcome the arrival of Columbus' newest airline?

ILNFlyer

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm

777-200 wrote:
http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/search/label/theconcourse

I also flew through C a couple of times. It was really just a CRJ haven for Comair. I am thankful it's gone, I thought it was a eyesore, but it served Comair's purpose well.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:04 am

CMHMarc787 wrote:
CMH-SEA on AS begins tomorrow. Who here is going to CMH to spot and welcome the arrival of Columbus' newest airline?

I figure there will be photos of the arrival and am looking forward to seeing them. I'm curious to see the media coverage as well.

N628VA is advertised as the plane doing the honors for the inaugural on FR24.

flyCMH

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 am

DeltaRules wrote:
CMHMarc787 wrote:

I figure there will be photos of the arrival and am looking forward to seeing them. I'm curious to see the media coverage as well.

I'm on the inaugural tomorrow out of CMH. I'll snap some pics. As mentioned, it looks like it will be N628VA, an A320 painted and retrofitted in the latest AS interior and exterior.

CMHMarc787

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 pm

flyCMH wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
CMHMarc787 wrote:

I'm on the inaugural tomorrow out of CMH. I'll snap some pics. As mentioned, it looks like it will be N628VA, an A320 painted and retrofitted in the latest AS interior and exterior.

I look forward to seeing them.

On a side note, the flight from SEA is 1692. I would have been cool had they numbered it 1492...just a thought :-)

jplatts

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:44 pm

CMHMarc787 wrote:
On a side note, the flight from SEA is 1692. I would have been cool had they numbered it 1492...just a thought :-)

AA 1492 is used on one of AA's DFW-CMH nonstops, and WN 1492 is used on one of WN's MDW-CMH nonstops.

flyinryan99

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm

flyCMH wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
CMHMarc787 wrote:

Man I'm jealous! Have a great time and get lots or pictures to share!

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm

ASA1692 left SEA at 11:25, 1:40 late. New CMH ETA 6:15pm.

N292UX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 pm

What is the situation on commercial service at YNG? I know they're trying get service but haven't gotten anything yet. I'm guessing if they do, it'd probably be someone to ORD.

Springs1816

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 pm

I see the new terminal for the Kansas City airport will finally start this month. I don't know how to put pictures on here but if anyone has seen how the layout is (you can Google it) I wish CVG would do something similar. I'll be curious to see what they come up with in the master plan when it gets released.

Also saw in a thread a little while back that EI was looking into 15 North American markets for expansion. Curious if anyone thinks CMH or CVG had a chance. Can their new A321LR reach that far?

flyCMH

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:15 am

On board and ready to go! Below are some photos from the inaugural:

cvgComair

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:40 am

Springs1816 wrote:
I see the new terminal for the Kansas City airport will finally start this month. I don't know how to put pictures on here but if anyone has seen how the layout is (you can Google it) I wish CVG would do something similar. I'll be curious to see what they come up with in the master plan when it gets released.

Also saw in a thread a little while back that EI was looking into 15 North American markets for expansion. Curious if anyone thinks CMH or CVG had a chance. Can their new A321LR reach that far?

I don't imagine they will change the layout much. Over half of the options presented in the master plan maintain the current layout.

Yes, the A321LR can do CVG/CMH-DUB. I think CVG has a pretty good shot given how good loads were on WW.

CMHtraveler

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:33 am

flyCMH wrote:

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:49 am

flyCMH wrote:

Awesome stuff! I didn't think Alaska was going to have the podium decaled the other day when I saw Delta on the monitor on the right, but it looks great. I'll be curious to see if Delta continues to use 49 for overflow or if it's all Alaska's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos