User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 am

Please continue from last year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382457
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 am

Best 2019 to all that spend time in this thread & may the new year bring a feeling of inclusion here & elsewhere. May everyone leave anything negative behind in 2018. Here is to new friendships & a new passenger record at all Oregon airports with new adds & up-gauges for all. Peace to you all.

SY has extended SFO, LAS, MSP & HNL into this summer from PDX, what other adds or extensions does anyone think will come from PDX this year?
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
ANA787
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 am

Realist adds for 2019?
-AS reintroducing STL, DEN. Maybe adding IAH and SAT.
-DL switching PDX-NRT to PDX-ICN
-NH announcing PDX-NRT
-AA finally adding PDX-MIA
-AM readding PDX at possibly 4x/week and maybe seasonally (as they’ve done with YYC)
 
rainaviation
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Best 2019 to all that spend time in this thread & may the new year bring a feeling of inclusion here & elsewhere. May everyone leave anything negative behind in 2018. Here is to new friendships & a new passenger record at all Oregon airports with new adds & up-gauges for all. Peace to you all.

SY has extended SFO, LAS, MSP & HNL into this summer from PDX, what other adds or extensions does anyone think will come from PDX this year?


Hard to say... I could see them adding DFW as a summer destination but that just doesn't match Sun Country's business model. Then again, I never thought SFO would be increased.

DFW would provide connections to CUN and PUJ and CZM.
 
N174UA
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 pm

ANA787 wrote:
Realist adds for 2019?
-AS reintroducing STL, DEN. Maybe adding IAH and SAT.
-DL switching PDX-NRT to PDX-ICN
-NH announcing PDX-NRT
-AA finally adding PDX-MIA
-AM readding PDX at possibly 4x/week and maybe seasonally (as they’ve done with YYC)


With their recent expansion plans, how SY does in PDX this year will drive what other airlines do at PDX in response. Assuming SY does well, then I think F9 and B6's days may be numbered.

I may be proven wrong, but I don't see any change in the status quo on the PDX-NRT market. JL would be the more likely carrier to start service to PDX, given their feed with AS, but they are restarting service to SEA in March after being gone for many years, so I think JL would be more focused on making that work again than trying to enter a smaller market 200 miles away at the same time. If UA were a lot bigger in PDX (like they once were) then NH might consider it, but it's not realistic to think they would try PDX anytime soon, especially not with DL on the route today. DL isn't going to cannibalize its PDX-NRT flight by also adding PDX-ICN, and they wouldn't want KE to come in and do the same.

The growth in the international market in PDX will be on the Europe side. DL is going daily (but still seasonal) on the PDX-LHR route this year, and the success of that will have an impact on both Condor and Icelandair. (FI?) It would not surprise me to Icelandair announce year round service from PDX during 2019.
Last edited by N174UA on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
kwbl
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:55 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:03 pm

My hope is AS/QX SLE-SEA or UA to SFO/DEN

I'd like to also see PDX-LHR year-round, PDX-ICN or PDX-PEK, and perhaps Y4 doing PDX-MEX.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:37 pm

ANA787 wrote:
Realist adds for 2019?
-AS reintroducing STL, DEN. Maybe adding IAH and SAT.


In addition to PDX-STL, PDX-DEN, PDX-IAH, and PDX-SAT, AS could also add PDX-FLL, PDX-IND, PDX-BNA, PDX-MSY, PDX-RDU, PDX-TPA, and PDX-IAD nonstop service.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here before is PDX-CUN.

I think a weekend (Sat/Sun) flight by AS to CUN would do quite well in the winter months. Maybe a red-eye leaving Saturday night, returning Sunday morning could work.
Last edited by FA9295 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Predictions for 2019:

Low-cost airlines will maintain the status quo, showing little interest in the Portland market, and holding back overall passenger traffic growth. Frontier and JetBlue will keep their bare-bones presence. Seasonal routes (e.g. BWI, PHL, YYZ) and non-daily routes (e.g. LIH, SJD, PVR, GDL etc.) will not be extended or expanded, and several routes, e.g. PDX-MCI, PDX-OMA, will continue to experience uncertain scheduling.

2018 saw no unserved routes filled and this will continue in 2019 with no new domestic (BNA, MSY, TPA, MIA, Ohio) or international (CDG, ICN, MEX return) routes being added. Southwest will focus on the oversaturated Portland-California market. Alaska will only tinker slightly with existing routes at its No. 2 hub. We might even see a nonstop route eliminated as we did in the past 18 months (MEX, MKE, PSC, BLI, SUN).

These predictions could be wrong if Gov. Kate Brown appoints new members to the Port of Portland Commission who have an interest in expanding air service, who will push to move PDX out from under SEA’s shadow, and who will advocate for an incentive program to help encourage airlines to fill major unserved or underserved routes. Until then PDX will continue getting second-rate treatment from the airlines considering it’s a major 20 million-passenger airport in the No. 18 CSA in the U.S. Without improved nonstop flight connectivity, the city will find it a challenging environment to attract major conventions to take advantage of the new Hyatt Regency at the Convention Center, which opens later this year.
 
PacificWest
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:00 pm

I find MFR to be a really interesting airport from growth perspective.

-Geographically Isolated (PDX and SMF are both 4.5-5 hour drives through mountain passes)
-Draws population within a 1-hour drive radius (Grants Pass, Ashland, Yreka, Klamath Falls) -- and a 2-hour drive to the small towns to the East.
-Has a F500 company (Lithia Motors) and two other large employers based there (Harry & David, Asante Health).
-Despite a pretty average annual income, there's a lot of accumulated wealth in the area (reflected in the home prices).
-Like Bend, it's bucking the 'Rural Exodus' trend: Jackson County is growing at 1.5-1.6% per year, which is faster than Lane County (Eugene/Springfield)
-Has legitimate tourism: Crater Lake, Ashland, Rafting/Fishing, Wine


2019 MFR Wish List

POSSIBLE
~ AA or UA replace CRJ's with E175's to LAX
~ UA adds redeye to ORD (similar to what they announced for EUG)
~ QX keeps it's MFR domicile

DREAMING
~ AA adds daily n/s to DFW
~ QX adds a seasonal n/s to SAN
~ DL upgauges SLC flight to mainline
 
User avatar
rosecityspotter
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:05 am

Happy New Year, all!!!
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:08 am

If anyone's interested, I started an Alaska 2019 network thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412199
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
PDX757
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:01 pm

PacificWest wrote:
I find MFR to be a really interesting airport from growth perspective.

-Geographically Isolated (PDX and SMF are both 4.5-5 hour drives through mountain passes)
-Draws population within a 1-hour drive radius (Grants Pass, Ashland, Yreka, Klamath Falls) -- and a 2-hour drive to the small towns to the East.
-Has a F500 company (Lithia Motors) and two other large employers based there (Harry & David, Asante Health).
-Despite a pretty average annual income, there's a lot of accumulated wealth in the area (reflected in the home prices).
-Like Bend, it's bucking the 'Rural Exodus' trend: Jackson County is growing at 1.5-1.6% per year, which is faster than Lane County (Eugene/Springfield)
-Has legitimate tourism: Crater Lake, Ashland, Rafting/Fishing, Wine


2019 MFR Wish List

POSSIBLE
~ AA or UA replace CRJ's with E175's to LAX
~ UA adds redeye to ORD (similar to what they announced for EUG)
~ QX keeps it's MFR domicile

DREAMING
~ AA adds daily n/s to DFW
~ QX adds a seasonal n/s to SAN
~ DL upgauges SLC flight to mainline


I think MFR-ORD is an inevitability. More mainline service would certainly be a welcome addition!
 
flyoregon
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Interesting to see Portland in the top 8 (spot #4 as the article suggests)

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airli ... ions-2018/
 
User avatar
Aloha717200
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:51 pm

For 2019, I am highly interested to see if UA's continued growth at RDM triggers growth for other carriers serving the area. Also of note is that RDM was mentioned recently by G4 as a possible option to readd during their last town hall meeting, Nov 30.

Bend/Redmond is highly susceptible to the tourism market, so a lot depends on how the economy is doing over the coming year. Still, I am cautiously optimistic to see Oregon's #4 airport continue its growth!
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
For 2019, I am highly interested to see if UA's continued growth at RDM triggers growth for other carriers serving the area. Also of note is that RDM was mentioned recently by G4 as a possible option to readd during their last town hall meeting, Nov 30.

Bend/Redmond is highly susceptible to the tourism market, so a lot depends on how the economy is doing over the coming year. Still, I am cautiously optimistic to see Oregon's #4 airport continue its growth!


Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
User avatar
Aloha717200
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
For 2019, I am highly interested to see if UA's continued growth at RDM triggers growth for other carriers serving the area. Also of note is that RDM was mentioned recently by G4 as a possible option to readd during their last town hall meeting, Nov 30.

Bend/Redmond is highly susceptible to the tourism market, so a lot depends on how the economy is doing over the coming year. Still, I am cautiously optimistic to see Oregon's #4 airport continue its growth!


Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.



Agreed, I'm frequently in the RDM area and it's been amazing to see how much it has grown in a short amount of time. G4 indicated their main concern with the area was "limited route options beyond the west", but I feel UA's expansion will prove to be a testbed that all carriers will watch closely. Some are likening the area to an Aspen or Jackson Hole in the making. The biggest problem with the housing prices in Bend is that the wages aren't keeping up. If not for that aspect, I'd be considering locating there myself. It's my favorite place on earth.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
For 2019, I am highly interested to see if UA's continued growth at RDM triggers growth for other carriers serving the area. Also of note is that RDM was mentioned recently by G4 as a possible option to readd during their last town hall meeting, Nov 30.

Bend/Redmond is highly susceptible to the tourism market, so a lot depends on how the economy is doing over the coming year. Still, I am cautiously optimistic to see Oregon's #4 airport continue its growth!


Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.


I love seeing RDM grow. It wasn't that long ago when a weekend/seasonal non-stop to DEN on CR2 was exciting, now they have mainline Alaska to Seattle and non-stop flights beyond the Rockies. Very exciting indeed.

G4 seriously needs to consider Salem. I know they doubters will say it's too close to Portland, and so on, but how is OGD and PVU any different in proximity to Salt Lake City? In fact, I'd suggest Salem has more of a case to be made than either of those 2 airports simply due to a larger population in the Portland CSA and traffic. An A319 from SLE-OAK/LAS/LAX/AZA? Very doable and they'd likely do very well.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:13 pm

flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
For 2019, I am highly interested to see if UA's continued growth at RDM triggers growth for other carriers serving the area. Also of note is that RDM was mentioned recently by G4 as a possible option to readd during their last town hall meeting, Nov 30.

Bend/Redmond is highly susceptible to the tourism market, so a lot depends on how the economy is doing over the coming year. Still, I am cautiously optimistic to see Oregon's #4 airport continue its growth!


Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.


I love seeing RDM grow. It wasn't that long ago when a weekend/seasonal non-stop to DEN on CR2 was exciting, now they have mainline Alaska to Seattle and non-stop flights beyond the Rockies. Very exciting indeed.

G4 seriously needs to consider Salem. I know they doubters will say it's too close to Portland, and so on, but how is OGD and PVU any different in proximity to Salt Lake City? In fact, I'd suggest Salem has more of a case to be made than either of those 2 airports simply due to a larger population in the Portland CSA and traffic. An A319 from SLE-OAK/LAS/LAX/AZA? Very doable and they'd likely do very well.

If I recall, OGD and PVU are well-known leisure markets, which is probably what makes them successful. Salem's fast-growing population may certainly help their case for nonstop flights, though.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
kwbl
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:55 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 pm

G4 looked hard at Salem about the same time Delta came in. At that time, they were concerned about runway length (not sure why-seems long enough) for the MD80s. I think they could be successful since they could potentially tap in to the S. Portland/Wilsonville area. Selfishly, I'd prefer AS with 3x or 4x per day to SEA - connections to everywhere!
 
flyoregon
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

FA9295 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.


I love seeing RDM grow. It wasn't that long ago when a weekend/seasonal non-stop to DEN on CR2 was exciting, now they have mainline Alaska to Seattle and non-stop flights beyond the Rockies. Very exciting indeed.

G4 seriously needs to consider Salem. I know they doubters will say it's too close to Portland, and so on, but how is OGD and PVU any different in proximity to Salt Lake City? In fact, I'd suggest Salem has more of a case to be made than either of those 2 airports simply due to a larger population in the Portland CSA and traffic. An A319 from SLE-OAK/LAS/LAX/AZA? Very doable and they'd likely do very well.

If I recall, OGD and PVU are well-known leisure markets, which is probably what makes them successful. Salem's fast-growing population may certainly help their case for nonstop flights, though.


Have you ever been to Ogden or Provo? There is nothing leisure about them. And beside that, it's 40 miles to Salt Lake City from Ogden, and 45 miles from Provo to Salt Lake City. Very nearly the same distance as Salem to Portland with less population and presumably less traffic.

G4 did look at Salem over a decade ago, but using that analysis is meaningless. Everything has changed since then i.e. economically, demographically, not to mention airline fleet. I don't believe G4 would have a problem at SLE using the A319/320. There have been several military charters in and out of SLE on 737's in the past, and I assume that's a full load. I bet G4 could make it work.
 
User avatar
Aloha717200
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:25 pm

flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
G4 did look at Salem over a decade ago, but using that analysis is meaningless. Everything has changed since then i.e. economically, demographically, not to mention airline fleet. I don't believe G4 would have a problem at SLE using the A319/320. There have been several military charters in and out of SLE on 737's in the past, and I assume that's a full load. I bet G4 could make it work.


I didn't know this, but that's very interesting. SLE has a very small terminal but i do believe it could handle an A319 flight here and there.

That said, with them already serving EUG it makes the case slightly harder to present as SLE is in EUG's catchment area. On the flip side, since they have no intention of serving portland anytime soon, one could make the case that SLE taps into that market without going head to head with other carriers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
 
metaldirtnskin
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 am

Aloha717200 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:


I didn't know this, but that's very interesting. SLE has a very small terminal but i do believe it could handle an A319 flight here and there.

That said, with them already serving EUG it makes the case slightly harder to present as SLE is in EUG's catchment area. On the flip side, since they have no intention of serving portland anytime soon, one could make the case that SLE taps into that market without going head to head with other carriers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.


The drawback with SLE is its proximity to PDX. From all my conversations with fellow passengers here, the biggest competition for flights from EUG is driving to PDX instead, and that's about two hours - as Salem is half the distance, it seems like it would be even harder to build up enough critical mass there to make it work.

But as others have said above, it will be fun to see what develops with all the Oregon secondary markets (EUG, MFR, RDM - and if someone wants to make a go of it at SLE I wish them all the best). There was enough growth and interesting adds in 2018 (and a few drops) that the market has shifted in the past year, especially away from AS/QX being dominant. My wishful thinking is that they will upgauge or add service to all of those destinations, but my honest prediction is that they won't and their share of pax volume will continue to go down.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:47 am

metaldirtnskin wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:


I didn't know this, but that's very interesting. SLE has a very small terminal but i do believe it could handle an A319 flight here and there.

That said, with them already serving EUG it makes the case slightly harder to present as SLE is in EUG's catchment area. On the flip side, since they have no intention of serving portland anytime soon, one could make the case that SLE taps into that market without going head to head with other carriers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.


The drawback with SLE is its proximity to PDX. From all my conversations with fellow passengers here, the biggest competition for flights from EUG is driving to PDX instead, and that's about two hours - as Salem is half the distance, it seems like it would be even harder to build up enough critical mass there to make it work.

But as others have said above, it will be fun to see what develops with all the Oregon secondary markets (EUG, MFR, RDM - and if someone wants to make a go of it at SLE I wish them all the best). There was enough growth and interesting adds in 2018 (and a few drops) that the market has shifted in the past year, especially away from AS/QX being dominant. My wishful thinking is that they will upgauge or add service to all of those destinations, but my honest prediction is that they won't and their share of pax volume will continue to go down.


Yes it is close to Portland, but so is Ogden and Provo to Salt Lake City, yet Allegiant flies to both of those locations. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I would make the same argument for Olympia as well. Plenty of people for limited service to popular/reasonable destinations I.e OAK/LAS/LAX.
 
User avatar
Aloha717200
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:50 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 am

One also has to wonder if we might see Moxy have a go at SLE, EUG, MFR or RDM at some point.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 am

flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
For 2019, I am highly interested to see if UA's continued growth at RDM triggers growth for other carriers serving the area. Also of note is that RDM was mentioned recently by G4 as a possible option to readd during their last town hall meeting, Nov 30.

Bend/Redmond is highly susceptible to the tourism market, so a lot depends on how the economy is doing over the coming year. Still, I am cautiously optimistic to see Oregon's #4 airport continue its growth!


Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.


I love seeing RDM grow. It wasn't that long ago when a weekend/seasonal non-stop to DEN on CR2 was exciting, now they have mainline Alaska to Seattle and non-stop flights beyond the Rockies. Very exciting indeed.

G4 seriously needs to consider Salem. I know they doubters will say it's too close to Portland, and so on, but how is OGD and PVU any different in proximity to Salt Lake City? In fact, I'd suggest Salem has more of a case to be made than either of those 2 airports simply due to a larger population in the Portland CSA and traffic. An A319 from SLE-OAK/LAS/LAX/AZA? Very doable and they'd likely do very well.


I expect RDM to surpass EUG or MFR in the next decade as far as passenger numbers if things keep moving forward so quickly & Californians keep relocating there. I would expect EUG/MFR/RDM-ORD/DFW at some point in the next few years, likely as summer seasonal adds. Both UA & AA have been making great adds from all three Oregon cities.

As far as SLE goes, don't forget UA ran 737-200's through SLE & the field & terminal handled the passenger loads just fine. I expect an E-175 operation can make it from SLE to any destination in the aircraft range. If G4 does decide to hit SLE, which I seriously doubt, their A-319's would be best for a LAS or AZA flight.

G4 thought Salem residents would drive to Eugene when they launched EUG-HNL, it was advertised in local Salem newspapers as the alternate to big Portland airport & all the congestion, it sounded as if they were describing JFK at 5pm. That proved to be false that people in Salem would utilize the service, it mostly attracted locals & those in Bend.

Portland is an hour away & has all the non-stop options both domestic & international. The only constant in Salem since I've been flying in Oregon is the HUT bus service, many decades still constantly running & that is all the commuter SLE requires & has been able to support.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
717atOGG
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:16 pm

AS will be using an OO E175 on the second daily PDX-ORD flight for the summer starting June 6. Unless I'm mistaken (which I very well may be), this would be the second longest E175 flight, only beat by SFO-MSN, which is why I thought it was worth mentioning.
Long live the Boeing 757!
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 pm

717atOGG wrote:
AS will be using an OO E175 on the second daily PDX-ORD flight for the summer starting June 6. Unless I'm mistaken (which I very well may be), this would be the second longest E175 flight, only beat by SFO-MSN, which is why I thought it was worth mentioning.

I noticed that as well. When PDX-MKE was dropped, they shifted the E175 on that route over to PDX-ORD instead.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
Chugach
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:52 am

RW21 is in use at PDX tonight. Little bit breezy out there.
 
pdx
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:48 am

3 diversions that I've noticed. SY from HNL, AS from BUR, and NK from LAS...all to SEA.
 
midway7
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:24 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Chugach wrote:
RW21 is in use at PDX tonight. Little bit breezy out there.



I thought this might happen and I missed it. Would have been cool to see, although not sure about the visibility to see anything.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:57 pm

pdx wrote:
3 diversions that I've noticed. SY from HNL, AS from BUR, and NK from LAS...all to SEA.


I am curious, out of the myriad of flight to/from PDX everyday, why these three chose to divert, when most got in after a rough descent. The SY 738 I guessed may have had potential fuel concerns after completing the 6 hour trek from HNL & it ends up circling . I hope SY can get those PDX passengers bussed down & get the aircraft & remaining passengers onto their next stop at MSP.

I guess NK may not be too worried if they need to bus or fly people down from Seattle, it sure would be the first time, this season PDX has had a weather delay.

Fortunately when it comes to IRROPS AS with their two largest hubs only a 30 minute flight apart, can easily & seamlessly take a diverted flight, have a fresh craft & crew waiting when they land at either station. I've been on 1 out of 5 AS jets taking off all heading to Seattle lined up one after the other, after an ice diversion & it's a zoo & SEA was way worse.
No one is set up for & can handle like AS does, with the two main hubs so close & an additional 2 hubs & 2 focus cities are within 1k miles.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
Atunall
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 pm

When I was listening in to the LiveATC feed, real winds were hovering around 180@35G41, with a +/- 35kt wind shear. Several of those diversions went missed, some twice, before diverting. The SY flight from HNL didn't even bother to try.

I saw diversions from AA, AS, SY, and NK last night. DL and a few of the QX planes managed to get in before traffic volume dropped. Luckily it was late at night (after 10 PM) before things got really serious.
 
twincommander
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:54 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:48 am

It was pretty nautical on the ramp last night. Even sitting in the alley we were getting blown around pretty hard. Most MX operations stopped for the duration of the wind.
 
pdx
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 am

RWA380 wrote:
pdx wrote:
3 diversions that I've noticed. SY from HNL, AS from BUR, and NK from LAS...all to SEA.


I am curious, out of the myriad of flight to/from PDX everyday, why these three chose to divert, when most got in after a rough descent. The SY 738 I guessed may have had potential fuel concerns after completing the 6 hour trek from HNL & it ends up circling . I hope SY can get those PDX passengers bussed down & get the aircraft & remaining passengers onto their next stop at MSP.

I guess NK may not be too worried if they need to bus or fly people down from Seattle, it sure would be the first time, this season PDX has had a weather delay.

Fortunately when it comes to IRROPS AS with their two largest hubs only a 30 minute flight apart, can easily & seamlessly take a diverted flight, have a fresh craft & crew waiting when they land at either station. I've been on 1 out of 5 AS jets taking off all heading to Seattle lined up one after the other, after an ice diversion & it's a zoo & SEA was way worse.
No one is set up for & can handle like AS does, with the two main hubs so close & an additional 2 hubs & 2 focus cities are within 1k miles.


Per FlightAware SY arrived PDX 331A, NK 337A, and AS CXLD. What's with the airine's flifo departments? If you checked these flights
directly online with the airline's website you'd never know what happened! Drives me crazy! Heaven forbid someone had a UM onboard!
You can't always trust FlightAware either. AS used to tell what portion of the flight was canceled (SEA-PDX), but this time it just showed the flight
ending in a "new arrival city"! Just for fun...SY tonight from HNL is running almost 5 hours late! I hope they don't make a habit out of this or PDXers
may book away from them.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 am

Does anyone think Sun Country's interline agreement with Icelandair and Condor have an impact on its Portland ops in a positive way? I don't know the extent of the agreement between these airlines, but I have to imagine it doesn't hurt.
 
Airnerd
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 am

FA9295 wrote:
Something that I haven't seen mentioned here before is PDX-CUN.

I think a weekend (Sat/Sun) flight by AS to CUN would do quite well in the winter months. Maybe a red-eye leaving Saturday night, returning Sunday morning could work.


Air Transat tried seasonal flights to CUN from PDX back in 2001 ish? I think.. or it's possible that they planned it, but it didn't launch because of 9/11. I think the used/were going to use A310s.
 
rainaviation
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:46 am

flyoregon wrote:
Does anyone think Sun Country's interline agreement with Icelandair and Condor have an impact on its Portland ops in a positive way? I don't know the extent of the agreement between these airlines, but I have to imagine it doesn't hurt.


I know that you can book SY flights on Condor and Icelandair but not the other way around. Wonder if the new SY platform will allow for that?
I do not think it makes a big difference at all with the SY network in PDX at this point. Maybe they will get some connecting passengers, but the only time I could see people taking advantage of that agreement is in a city like MSP where you could go LAS-MSP-KEF/FRA or SAN-MSP-KEF/FRA.

Anybody know anything more feel free to correct me.
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:42 am

Airnerd wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Something that I haven't seen mentioned here before is PDX-CUN.

I think a weekend (Sat/Sun) flight by AS to CUN would do quite well in the winter months. Maybe a red-eye leaving Saturday night, returning Sunday morning could work.


Air Transat tried seasonal flights to CUN from PDX back in 2001 ish? I think.. or it's possible that they planned it, but it didn't launch because of 9/11. I think the used/were going to use A310s.


RWA380 will probably remember better than I, but I think it went on but lasted mere weeks. Something like YVR-PDX-CUN in addition to YYZ-BUF-CUN

'MAX
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 am

AS737MAX wrote:
Airnerd wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Something that I haven't seen mentioned here before is PDX-CUN.

I think a weekend (Sat/Sun) flight by AS to CUN would do quite well in the winter months. Maybe a red-eye leaving Saturday night, returning Sunday morning could work.


Air Transat tried seasonal flights to CUN from PDX back in 2001 ish? I think.. or it's possible that they planned it, but it didn't launch because of 9/11. I think the used/were going to use A310s.


RWA380 will probably remember better than I, but I think it went on but lasted mere weeks. Something like YVR-PDX-CUN in addition to YYZ-BUF-CUN

'MAX


100% correct. Air Transit indeed offered A-310 YVR-PDX-CUN service, IIRC it was for Sunwing Holidays & lasted less than one season. Cool spotting at PDX. They used the end of D concourse, where the FIS facility is.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm

PDX-BNA loaded onto Sun Country website.

PDX-BNA: 2:10 PM - 8:20 PM
BNA-PDX: 9:15 PM - 11:55 PM

Starts May 2nd, will be 3x weekly.
Last edited by FA9295 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:30 pm

PDX-SAT also loaded.

PDX-SAT: 2:35 PM - 8:20 PM
SAT-PDX: 9:15 PM - 11:15 PM

Starts June 5th, will be 4x weekly.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Actually looks like PDX-BNA is 4x weekly, my bad.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1524
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Now I'm seeing PDX-STL as well.

PDX-STL: 2:35 PM - 8:15 PM
STL-PDX: 9:10 PM - 10:45 PM

Starts June 7th, will be 2x weekly
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
ANA787
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Great news! wonder if we could also see SY add PDX-MSY/FLL?
 
flyoregon
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Good adds. SY is showing some courage against AS in PDX and picking up what they don’t. Perhaps this will encourage AS to take Portland a tad more seriously, although SY isn’t as big of threat as DL in SEA is. Nice to see an airline give a city this size serious consideration. Clearly SY considers PDX an important destination with strong opportunity.

I could see them adding MSY and maybe even DEN although that would be extremely risky. I noticed they added LAS-ANC, but I think it would be tough for them on PDX-ANC. FLL seems like a bit of stretch given MCO didn’t work out that well, but then again, there’s no competition and MCO for Alaska didn’t work out initially either, so who knows.
 
lhpdx
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Great news!!

https://www.kgw.com/article/travel/sun- ... 5f8a50719c

I'm just waiting for MSY!!
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Great adds! Although I try not to get too excited about ULCC route announcements as they often operate for a few months before going away forever. SAT is an exciting add and if I’m not mistaken it’s the first time the route has ever been flown nonstop. PDX will now be connected to all four big Texas cities.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm

RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Central Oregon is booming again, the construction is up & going full steam, house prices are reaching Portland prices in Bend. I remember living in Redmond had G4 & their aircraft were heard across the town on take off. I am sure RDM can support a G4 type operation. Best airport in Oregon, IMHO.


I love seeing RDM grow. It wasn't that long ago when a weekend/seasonal non-stop to DEN on CR2 was exciting, now they have mainline Alaska to Seattle and non-stop flights beyond the Rockies. Very exciting indeed.

G4 seriously needs to consider Salem. I know they doubters will say it's too close to Portland, and so on, but how is OGD and PVU any different in proximity to Salt Lake City? In fact, I'd suggest Salem has more of a case to be made than either of those 2 airports simply due to a larger population in the Portland CSA and traffic. An A319 from SLE-OAK/LAS/LAX/AZA? Very doable and they'd likely do very well.


I expect RDM to surpass EUG or MFR in the next decade as far as passenger numbers if things keep moving forward so quickly & Californians keep relocating there. I would expect EUG/MFR/RDM-ORD/DFW at some point in the next few years, likely as summer seasonal adds. Both UA & AA have been making great adds from all three Oregon cities.

As far as SLE goes, don't forget UA ran 737-200's through SLE & the field & terminal handled the passenger loads just fine. I expect an E-175 operation can make it from SLE to any destination in the aircraft range. If G4 does decide to hit SLE, which I seriously doubt, their A-319's would be best for a LAS or AZA flight.

G4 thought Salem residents would drive to Eugene when they launched EUG-HNL, it was advertised in local Salem newspapers as the alternate to big Portland airport & all the congestion, it sounded as if they were describing JFK at 5pm. That proved to be false that people in Salem would utilize the service, it mostly attracted locals & those in Bend.

Portland is an hour away & has all the non-stop options both domestic & international. The only constant in Salem since I've been flying in Oregon is the HUT bus service, many decades still constantly running & that is all the commuter SLE requires & has been able to support.


Driving from Salem to PDX can be abominable if there are traffic problems or construction on I-205 or I-5 / I -84. It can be longer than the flight itself. And I've used HUT and been more than an hour later than scheduled. Living in Salem, I try to use Eugene if at all possible but AS's schedule there is so limited. Unfortunately, the short-lived DL SLE - SLC didn't last although I know of people who really liked it. The SLE terminal could handle more people. Parking would be a problem, though.
 
lhpdx
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:54 pm

According to Sun Country CEO Jude Bricker stated that Nashville, Portland and Dallas-Fort Worth have become focal markets for the airline..It will be interesting to what other routes the airline is considering starting out those markets in the future...I could see a PDX-MSY flight in the fall....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos