RWA380

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 am

flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Intel Air Shuttle also has scheduled flights multiple times a week IWA-HIO-IWA and SJC-HIO-SJC. Two are en route to HIO now, https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HGT3662
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HGT3225

https://jcai.dk/2016/03/gmj-air-shuttle ... fleet-fsx/

Yeah, I think the routes from HIO right now are just to IWA and SJC. Several times a day in fact:

SJC: https://flightaware.com/live/findflight ... ation=KSJC
- Yesterday was at 6x, and today was at 4x.

IWA: https://flightaware.com/live/findflight ... ation=KIWA
- Yesterday and today were both at 2x daily.

But I do recall them regularly flying to SMF (or another Sacramento airport) in the past...

It use to be daily SJC, IWA, OLM, and MHR.

I knew Sacramento & San Jose, I didn’t know about IWA or OLM, but that is part of their airline, when changes are needed, with no paying passengers, lots more freedom to quickly shift focus where needed. intel is one of how many US companies that do this & run their own scheduled service for employees only?
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

pdxav8r

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:50 am

RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Yeah, I think the routes from HIO right now are just to IWA and SJC. Several times a day in fact:

But I do recall them regularly flying to SMF (or another Sacramento airport) in the past...

It use to be daily SJC, IWA, OLM, and MHR.

I knew Sacramento & San Jose, I didn’t know about IWA or OLM, but that is part of their airline, when changes are needed, with no paying passengers, lots more freedom to quickly shift focus where needed. intel is one of how many US companies that do this & run their own scheduled service for employees only?

Yep, when I used to fly out of HIO, I frequently saw B1900’s on the OLM route.

smflyer

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 am

FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Intel (who already flies SJC & SMF on their own)

Intel Air Shuttle also has scheduled flights multiple times a week IWA-HIO-IWA and SJC-HIO-SJC. Two are en route to HIO now, https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HGT3662
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HGT3225

https://jcai.dk/2016/03/gmj-air-shuttle ... fleet-fsx/

I think the airport you're referring to is MHR which is closer to Intel's Folsom campus as SMF is nearly 45 mins drive from SMF, more if there's traffic. MHR is a former Air Force base mainly used by UPS and general aviation.

Wingtips56

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:57 am

And they are still flying MHR-SJC regularly. I think the HIO link is for weekends or as needed.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

dc10lover

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

FA9295

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 pm

dc10lover wrote:

That's a codeshare route offered by Delta.

dc10lover

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 pm

FA9295 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

That's a codeshare route offered by Delta.

Ok thanks. Didn't know that.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

FA9295

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 pm

So UA and AA have both submitted their HND route applications to the DoT. Still waiting on DL.

If it's true that Nike significantly helps increase the sustainability of PDX-NRT, then I think they could make a good case for PDX-HND. We'll find out pretty soon if PDX ends up making the cut or not...

FA9295

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:27 pm

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0014-0005

Looks like PDX made the cut! Interestingly, Delta plans on using Airbus A330-200 aircraft on this route instead of Boeing 767-300ER; still operating on a daily basis. But of course, the DoT still has to approve it...

Quoted from Delta's application:

Portland is Delta’s fourth priority gateway. Delta’s Portland-Haneda flight will further
enhance the geographic diversity of U.S. gateways with direct service to Tokyo’s preferred airport.
Portland is the sixth largest West Coast U.S.-Asia market, and currently relies on Delta’s current
Tokyo Narita service for direct Asia service. Exhibit DL-501. Delta has invested heavily in
Portland-Tokyo since beginning the route in 2004, which complements Delta’s other
intercontinental service to Europe.
Portland brings a unique mixture of business and leisure traffic. Portland has significant
corporate presence, headlined by Nike but also including household names like Columbia
Sportswear and Intel. Exhibit DL-502. At the same time, Portland has also been featured as a top leisure
destination by U.S. News & World Reports, with Portland International Airport being
voted Best Airport 6 years in a row by Travel and Leisure. Delta has worked closely with the Port
of Portland to increase Japanese tourism, and to build the community ties between Japan and
Portland through sponsorship of the Japan-America Society of Oregon and the Portland Japanese
Garden. Exhibit DL-503. This investment has paid off, with Portland-Tokyo origin and destination
traffic representing a growing share of traffic transported on Delta’s current Narita flight. Exhibit
DL-112. Along with the traffic stimulation from serving Tokyo’s preferred airport, Delta expects
Portland-Haneda to continue to be a strong performer in the future.
Details for Delta’s proposed Portland-Haneda schedule are included in Exhibit DL-504.
Delta is more flexible on slot time needs for its proposed Portland service. Delta plans to use
Airbus A330-200 aircraft to better supply the expected increased customer demand for Haneda.
Exhibits DL-505 and DL-506. Delta’s A330-200s also allow customers to customize their travel
by offering varied products, from lie-flat beds in Delta One to comfortable Main Cabin options that
include personal video and USB power ports. Exhibit DL-506. The Department’s allocation of a
slot pair for Portland-Haneda service would ensure continued direct Tokyo access, and allow
Delta and the community to build on the success of their 15-year partnership.

Note that more information on Delta's PDX-HND proposed flight/service is on pages 82 through 89 in the PDF file within the link at the beginning of this post.

Proposed flight schedule is as follows:

PDX-HND (DL 69): 2:15 PM - 5:00 PM (+1) | Airbus A330-200, 7x weekly/daily
HND-PDX (DL 68): 6:45 PM - 12:00 PM | Airbus A330-200, 7x weekly/daily
Last edited by FA9295 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

nmraja

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but will this be a change from PDX-NRT to PDX-HND or will it be on top of PDX-NRT, if approved?
Raja.

nmraja

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:44 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how much Delta or the Port is investing in advertisements for the PDX-LHR flight? I have seen many billboards around the city, commercials, promos with local news stations and advertisements on magazines. I really hope they do very well on this route to make it year round.

Last year there were ads on many MAX trains, full car length, that caught everyone's eyes, showing PDX=LHR connection. No such ads or any adds from Delta this year.
Raja.

AS737MAX

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 pm

nmraja wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how much Delta or the Port is investing in advertisements for the PDX-LHR flight? I have seen many billboards around the city, commercials, promos with local news stations and advertisements on magazines. I really hope they do very well on this route to make it year round.

Last year there were ads on many MAX trains, full car length, that caught everyone's eyes, showing PDX=LHR connection. No such ads or any adds from Delta this year.

Check my flickr link on reply #239 on the previous page. There's a billboard advertising London service at the intersection of Broadway and Madison.

pnwpdx

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:00 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
nmraja wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

Check my flickr link on reply #239 on the previous page. There's a billboard advertising London service at the intersection of Broadway and Madison.

There is also a billboard on I-84 west bound heading into downtown on the left hand side (a bit hard to read and drive around the curves in my opinion :))
Next Flight:
PDX-SLC-JFK-PDX on DL
PDX-SEA-SFO-SEA-PDX on DL

RWA380

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 pm

nmraja wrote:
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but will this be a change from PDX-NRT to PDX-HND or will it be on top of PDX-NRT, if approved?

No dumb questions here, the proposal would leave HND as the sole gateway to Portland, so NRT would be eliminated. I am unsure why so many people feel as if DL should or is going to get the lions share of the slots several carriers applied for.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

nmraja

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 am

RWA380 wrote:

No dumb questions here, the proposal would leave HND as the sole gateway to Portland, so NRT would be eliminated. I am unsure why so many people feel as if DL should or is going to get the lions share of the slots several carriers applied for.

Thanks for your response. If this materializes, then it's a mini-upgrade from the 767 to 330 in terms of capacity I guess.

Also, I read your posts about your health. Hope things are better. I wish you the best and get well. :)
Raja.

nmraja

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:01 am

AS737MAX wrote:
nmraja wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my earlier post. I was strictly talking about the Ads on MAX trains last year vs No Ads on MAX this year.
Raja.

BlatantEcho

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:11 am

RWA380 wrote:
nmraja wrote:
I am unsure why so many people feel as if DL should or is going to get the lions share of the slots several carriers applied for.

Because the other two US carriers, AA and UA, have existing Joint Ventures with Japanese Airlines with hubs at NRT (JAL and ANA).
Delta is the one US carrier that has no JV with a Japanese carrier, so, it would make sense that they get a higher propotion of the increase.

PDX-HND would be AWESOME. ANd I do thin it would increase traffic on the route.
I could also see the addition of ICN-PDX on the heals of that (since HND offers no connections for PDX fliers).

A330-200 is a nice upgrade over the ol 76 too!

pdxav8r

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:29 am

Kind of odd to think there will be that much more traffic. Moving up to a 330, going full daily when it is not daily part of the year, and no connections on the HND side. Can DL just romanticize it to push their agenda? Can they say they will do this, yet end up keeping a 763 on the route, and go less than daily? If this fully transpires, and with the DL upgrade, do you really think DL wants KE to come in and cannibalize their HND flight? Seems like DL still wants to route pax flying to other Asian destinations through SEA.

AS737MAX

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:41 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
nmraja wrote:
I am unsure why so many people feel as if DL should or is going to get the lions share of the slots several carriers applied for.

Because the other two US carriers, AA and UA, have existing Joint Ventures with Japanese Airlines with hubs at NRT (JAL and ANA).
Delta is the one US carrier that has no JV with a Japanese carrier, so, it would make sense that they get a higher propotion of the increase.

I could also see the addition of ICN-PDX on the heals of that (since HND offers no connections for PDX fliers).

Guess I hadn't ever noticed the lack of onward connections even from NRT. Incheon really seems like a logical next step, but DL seems committed to moving PDX-NRT to PDX-HND. I think this committal is evident both given lack of other viable hubs (LAX and MSP already see HND service), no service from JFK-Asia, which leaves SLC on the int'l hub docket. If they hadn't listed PDX as the #4 priority, I could have seen it going elsewhere, but there isn't anywhere else. Even thought it should happen, I wouldn't expect to see ICN during the next 6-18 months. Then again, we didn't expect KEF and FRA and LHR on top of what was a fairly established AMS service by the Summer of 2015. I'm surprised still though that another carrier hasn't tried PDX-Asia but the likes of NH/KE/JL/CX must consider DL too entrenched to seriously launch profitable service.

AS737MAX

AS737MAX

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:42 am

pdxav8r wrote:
Kind of odd to think there will be that much more traffic. Moving up to a 330, going full daily when it is not daily part of the year, and no connections on the HND side. Can DL just romanticize it to push their agenda? Can they say they will do this, yet end up keeping a 763 on the route, and go less than daily? If this fully transpires, and with the DL upgrade, do you really think DL wants KE to come in and cannibalize their HND flight? Seems like DL still wants to route pax flying to other Asian destinations through SEA.

Just beat me to some of the same thoughts!

-'MAX

pnwpdx

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 am

AS737MAX wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Guess I hadn't ever noticed the lack of onward connections even from NRT. Incheon really seems like a logical next step, but DL seems committed to moving PDX-NRT to PDX-HND. I think this committal is evident both given lack of other viable hubs (LAX and MSP already see HND service), no service from JFK-Asia, which leaves SLC on the int'l hub docket. If they hadn't listed PDX as the #4 priority, I could have seen it going elsewhere, but there isn't anywhere else. Even thought it should happen, I wouldn't expect to see ICN during the next 6-18 months. Then again, we didn't expect KEF and FRA and LHR on top of what was a fairly established AMS service by the Summer of 2015. I'm surprised still though that another carrier hasn't tried PDX-Asia but the likes of NH/KE/JL/CX must consider DL too entrenched to seriously launch profitable service.

AS737MAX

I agree that ICN would make the most sense if Delta/Korean does want to lock their spot at PDX and to your point, they would very well surprise us. But I do wonder if JAL would jump on a PDX-HND or NRT route and utilize their partnership with AS to take a stab at DL and provide better connections to the rest of Asia. I know they haven't even re-started their service to SEA yet, but who knows.
Next Flight:
PDX-SLC-JFK-PDX on DL
PDX-SEA-SFO-SEA-PDX on DL

teachpdx

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:23 am

I bet that DL is probably in the long game on this one, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually add a few more domestic flights/destinations to PDX to feed the HND flight. SEA can only grow so much with the size constraints, and maybe they are looking at PDX as a sort-of secondary PNW-Asia gateway. Throwing a connection to ICN into the mix would further solidify it.
Up Next: DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA

AS737MAX

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:25 am

pnwpdx wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

AS737MAX

I agree that ICN would make the most sense if Delta/Korean does want to lock their spot at PDX and to your point, they would very well surprise us. But I do wonder if JAL would jump on a PDX-HND or NRT route and utilize their partnership with AS to take a stab at DL and provide better connections to the rest of Asia. I know they haven't even re-started their service to SEA yet, but who knows.

Seems like 787 service on international carriers was destined for PDX, but it's really only opened "medium" routes per se. Think in-between hub-size and PDX-size. We clearly have FI and DE because they're both AS Mileage Plan Members, but like you mention, so are some of the best in Asia: CX, HU, JL, KE, and SQ (Not to forget FJ and QF either). CX and SQ are due to begin SEA, and JL re-starting, but that airport is just going to get more and more constrained. There's a difficult line to walk.

AS737MAX

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 am

teachpdx wrote:
I bet that DL is probably in the long game on this one, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually add a few more domestic flights/destinations to PDX to feed the HND flight. SEA can only grow so much with the size constraints, and maybe they are looking at PDX as a sort-of secondary PNW-Asia gateway. Throwing a connection to ICN into the mix would further solidify it.

I think this would be a pretty good idea. There can only be so much traffic that doesn't go via ATL/MSP/DTW toward Asia that most of the long flights are probably offered to compete with AS more than to increase connectivity. Your real connectors are going to be coming off of the regional/local flights that are closer to Seattle/can transit easier than over SFO or LAX.

To the point you make about solidifying ICN - would be an excellent decision on behalf of DL. Lock out all carriers save for KE, if they ever wanted to swap (ignore any joint-venture/slots issues). There aren't particularly any low-frills Asian carriers that could launch summer seasonal service a la FI/DE.

RWA380

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:26 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
nmraja wrote:

With DL trying to grab slots here, just further solidifies they have no intent on routing their Asia passengers via TYO & have chosen ICN as that hub. Why should others carriers get less HND slots because DL wasn’t adept enough to obtain a Japanese partner if that were ever part of their original plan?

Tokyo is definitely an O/D market & with both UA & DL shrinking their presence at NRT along with the fifth freedom routes that they both enjoy, some could have said AA was at a disadvantage before their JL tie up, because they didn’t get to use NRT as an Asia hub. Fair, is a very subjective word.

I wholeheartedly disagree that DL somehow deserves more consideration because they didn’t get to partner with JL or NH, that’s their fault. I fully agree the A332 is a nice upgauge & as I booked many a PDX-NRT n/s I can tell you at least a couple companies that do business in Tokyo, are out nearer NRT than downtown. Tokyo is a very big place as I am sure you know.

Wingtips56

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:21 am

OK travelers in SW Oregon (Curry County/Brookings-Harbor): you are in for a treat the next time you fly out of CEC/Crescent City (Del Norte County Regional Airport, Jack McNamara Field), as the ribbon was cut on the new terminal this afternoon (22FEB). No more cramming into that dreadful little brown bunker and boarding area trailer anymore! The brand new terminal building is quite spacious and well laid out, with an upstairs observation area looking out to the south over RWY 36, Pebble Beach and Castle Rock island.
Hundreds of people turned out to tour the terminal and hear speeches given by members of the airport board, Del Norte County's Congressman Huffman, Assemblyman Wood and State Senator McGuire's representative, a Brookings city councilman reading a letter from Oregon District #4 Congressman De Fazio and Contour Airlines' CEO Matt Chaifetz. The Border Coast Regional Airport Authority is supported by entities on both sides of the state line as critical to one of the more remote regions of both California and Oregon.
Mr. Chaifetz reconfirmed news that Contour will add 4 additional weekly flights to OAK from May to September, commenting that their confidence in the CEC market is strong enough that those new flights will be at-risk, not covered by the AEAS subsidy (which is only for 7x weekly). He also announced that, coming soon, the airline will serve complementary beer from Crescent City's SeaQuake Brewery on the evening OAK-CEC leg.
At the end of the nicely catered affair, folks went upstairs to watch the inbound Contour flight coming up the coastline and past Castle Rock, arriving 18 minutes early at the new terminal.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

AS737MAX

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
OK travelers in SW Oregon (Curry County/Brookings-Harbor): you are in for a treat the next time you fly out of CEC/Crescent City (Del Norte County Regional Airport, Jack McNamara Field), as the ribbon was cut on the new terminal this afternoon (22FEB). No more cramming into that dreadful little brown bunker and boarding area trailer anymore! The brand new terminal building is quite spacious and well laid out, with an upstairs observation area looking out to the south over RWY 36, Pebble Beach and Castle Rock island.
Hundreds of people turned out to tour the terminal and hear speeches given by members of the airport board, Del Norte County's Congressman Huffman, Assemblyman Wood and State Senator McGuire's representative, a Brookings city councilman reading a letter from Oregon District #4 Congressman De Fazio and Contour Airlines' CEO Matt Chaifetz. The Border Coast Regional Airport Authority is supported by entities on both sides of the state line as critical to one of the more remote regions of both California and Oregon.
Mr. Chaifetz reconfirmed news that Contour will add 4 additional weekly flights to OAK from May to September, commenting that their confidence in the CEC market is strong enough that those new flights will be at-risk, not covered by the AEAS subsidy (which is only for 7x weekly). He also announced that, coming soon, the airline will serve complementary beer from Crescent City's SeaQuake Brewery on the evening OAK-CEC leg.
At the end of the nicely catered affair, folks went upstairs to watch the inbound Contour flight coming up the coastline and past Castle Rock, arriving 18 minutes early at the new terminal.

That sounds great! Had not heard of Contour before, had no idea they had E-Jets either; looks like they also fly OAK-SBA. Must just be CEC-Bay Area O/D traffic rather than any connections. ACV is a 90 minute drive, and has service on UAX to LAX, SFO, and DEN (Begins 7JUNE).

jbpdx

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Dueling cutbacks by Alaska and Southwest have left PDX-MCI with no nonstops from 7 April-15 May, hardly a slow travel time.
Next: AS PDX-OGG-PDX
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

N174UA

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm

teachpdx wrote:

As I mentioned in the primary thread on the HND slots, Delta knows the PDX-Tokyo market very well, and has been the sole carrier for the last 15 years, as well as during the late 80s/90s. In their application to the DOT, Delta is offering "more flexibility" on the proposed departure time on PDX-HND. Currently, PDX-NRT leaves at 11:15, but now it's being pushed back to 14:15 for HND, making it the last U.S-Japan nonstop of the day on Delta. That will allow them more time to route feed from SEA (overflow from SEA-HND), but especially from SLC, and JFK, ATL, and BOS also. In my opinion, that is why DL is willing to not only go daily year round, but also by up-guaging to the A332. The DOT application also had a graphic that compared annual US-Japan growth for SEA, DTW, ATL, and PDX. Guess which market came out on top with 38%? PDX! Lastly, neither Japanese airline is proposing to fly HND-PDX as part of this 12-slot agreement this time around. Of the two, JL would be more likely to attempt it down the road, given the strong AS customer base. NH flies to SEA,and there isn't a big enough Star Alliance base in PDX anymore.

As for ICN, I think maybe one day, but it would be at least a year two out. If PDX-ICN does happen, I think it will likely be on DL metal. But for now, the priority will be to focus on the PDX-HND route, which I strongly believe Delta will receive.

FA9295

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:59 am

By now, I'm sure most of you know about the incident today involving N1217A an Atlas Air Boeing 767 operated for Amazon crashed into Trinity Bay near Houston while en route from Miami.

Just thought it might be worth noting that the same exact plane was at PDX just two days before the accident.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N12 ... /KCVG/KPDX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N12 ... /KPDX/KCVG

Such a terrible thing to happen. Condolences and prayers to the families of those three crew members who lost their lives.

AS737MAX

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:50 am

FA9295 wrote:
By now, I'm sure most of you know about the incident today involving N1217A an Atlas Air Boeing 767 operated for Amazon crashed into Trinity Bay near Houston while en route from Miami.

Just thought it might be worth noting that the same exact plane was at PDX just two days before the accident.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N12 ... /KCVG/KPDX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N12 ... /KPDX/KCVG

Such a terrible thing to happen. Condolences and prayers to the families of those three crew members who lost their lives.

There's just something about this one to me... I can't believe it really happened. Maybe because it was here in the US. Three good people lost.

BlatantEcho

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:52 pm

I do wonder about the A330-200 routing plan here.
Someone in the main thread mentioned a few options:

- The plane would do LHR-PDX-HND-PDX-LHR type route (which would require the LHR route to go daily, year round)
- A330-300 replaced on PDX-AMS with -200. That's a significant drop in seats, so I find that tough to imagine.
- DL adds PDX-CDG (which would be perfect for the 200 to route through)
- DL adds PDX-ICN (I am less sure if it would route well through the system there this way)
- DL adds 2nd daily PDX-AMS (seems really unlikely)

So, this is all just complete and utter speculation for 2020. But, if Delta gets the HND-PDX route (and I think everyone expects they will), then some other things likely have to change too.

Really interesting and exciting times for PDX

N174UA

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:04 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

- The plane would do LHR-PDX-HND-PDX-LHR type route (which would require the LHR route to go daily, year round)
- A330-300 replaced on PDX-AMS with -200. That's a significant drop in seats, so I find that tough to imagine.
- DL adds PDX-ICN (I am less sure if it would route well through the system there this way)

So, this is all just complete and utter speculation for 2020. But, if Delta gets the HND-PDX route (and I think everyone expects they will), then some other things likely have to change too.

- Not sure that a.) PDX-LHR can be daily year round, based on the current agreement and b.) the arrival time from LHR would time well to allow a turn to HND. The PDX-LHR flight leaves PDX about 17:15 when it operates, and assuming the plane from LHR isn't on the ground for more than two hours, it would arrive at approx. 15:00. The proposed departure for HND is 14:15, based on the application.

- 2nd daily PDX-AMS? I suppose if Condor and Icelandair left the market, and DL stopped PDX-LHR. But yes...VERY unlikely!

- I don't understand why DL would want to do PDX-CDG...that would seemingly cannibalize the success they are having with PDX-AMS, which IS the only daily nonstop to Europe they have. Why mess with success?

- Maybe PDX-ICN one day, on either KE or DL metal. But that is at least two years out I believe.

Once DL is awarded the HND slot, which I believe they will get, it will be a 110% focus on making that route successful. Increasing demand locally, increasing feed from other DL cities (especially SLC), and expanding the cargo market even further. In the DL application, there is a graph that compares U.S-Japan growth for the SEA, DTW, ATL, and PDX markets. PDX was tops at 38% growth! So the demand is clearly there.

The other discussion that hopefully has already started at the Port of Portland is extending and/or expanding the D concourse. The current projects will further help PDX become an even better airport, and focuses on the 95% of domestic passengers that fly through there each year. They already have light rail, and no additional runways are needed or need to be extended. Once all those projects are done, PDX really needs to have a plan in place to improve the international traveler experience. The current D concourse is early 90s's era, and opened about the same time that UA's E1-E5 remodel was completed and opened in May 1992. But if PoP wants to see continued international growth, and especially seeing more of their current service going year-round, then there needs to be a big investment made. I can't speak for the FIS facility at PDX, but I did walk down to the end of D about two months ago. It's narrow, the Delta sky club is small and resembles more of a hotel lobby, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why all that space is locked up for some security arrangement? Is that FIS?

BlatantEcho

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:38 pm

^^
perhaps I wasn't clear.

There is no other Delta A330-200 flight at PDX, and I don't believe there is a proposal for one to operate into HND on another route (maybe MSP?)
I am trying to figure out how they pull that off.

PDX-HND-PDX-HND-PDX until it breaks down?
My hope is that this has Delta focused on PDX and having to figure out the plane rotation on the route already... they can open up/supplement another international route.

I am not super familiar with where they fly the -200s, so, might be ignorance, and maybe they just do a PDX-ATL-PDX segment on it to rotate it in and out.
But, the hope is that it could be used to open an additional intl route.

--
CDG offers different connections than AMS. I can't get to a significant portion of Africa via AMS (I know that is a tiny amount of traffic overall), but, a second hub connection would surely allow them to flow traffic even more effectively to secondary European cities.

Anyway, my post wasn't about all the places I *want* them to fly.
It was merely an observation that they will have a random A332 flying in and out of PDX, and unless it goes back and forth, they will need to route it elsewhere through the system.
Another international destination doesn't seem *entirely* crazy to me for that.

lhpdx

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:09 pm

UA PDX-SFO AUG 9>10[9]

FA9295

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:26 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

I would guess that it could be one of the following:
ATL-PDX-HND-PDX-ATL
AMS-PDX-HND-PDX-AMS

- LHR will almost definitely stay at the 767. This type of plane is used on leisure routes, and since PDX-LHR is summer seasonal, that aircraft fits the market quite well. Also, the LHR flight arrives at PDX a few hours after the HND flight would have already departed.
- They're not going to just add CDG and/or ICN just for the sake of more options to route the A332 on, as much as I would like them to.

On a somewhat related note, I wouldn't be surprised to see DL add a handful of domestic routes within the U.S. in order to feed to this flight within a few years. BOS-PDX comes to mind as a good transcon connector (although I think BOS-PDX would be a great route for DL to add regardless of connections), as well as some shorter routes into PDX, like LAS/SAN/SJC/SMF/SFO/DEN/PHX/BOI. Some would argue that this will take away from passengers connecting to their SEA-HND flight, but if that were the case, then I don't think Delta would be proposing PDX-HND at all.

FA9295

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:33 pm

N174UA wrote:
The other discussion that hopefully has already started at the Port of Portland is extending and/or expanding the D concourse.

YES! This is very much needed, and would significantly help the port to attract more long-haul international flights. If they were to make concourse D as long as concourse C, that would be an extra 8 gates added which provides room for a lot of potential growth.

I think additional gates in concourse D would also help incentivise Sun Country to continue expanding at PDX as well.

BlatantEcho

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:35 pm

FA9295 - maybe we both live in a fantasy world (where PDX is the center of everything...)
You are 99% correct, DL won't just add a new intl route to utilize a single plane type.
I can hope, but, you're surely correct that it's a stretch.

Just like I think them adding more domestic feed to PDX is a stretch as well.
They have a hub up the road in SEA that they are trying to build and get profitable.
It might make sense to you (like my A330-200 example makes to me), but, I can't see any chance of significant extra feed in PDX for DL.

We can both dream I guess :)
Have a good day.

N174UA

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm

FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

I would guess that it could be one of the following:
ATL-PDX-HND-PDX-ATL
AMS-PDX-HND-PDX-AMS

- LHR will almost definitely stay at the 767. This type of plane is used on leisure routes, and since PDX-LHR is summer seasonal, that aircraft fits the market quite well. Also, the LHR flight arrives at PDX a few hours after the HND flight would have already departed.
- They're not going to just add CDG and/or ICN just for the sake of more options to route the A332 on, as much as I would like them to.

On a somewhat related note, I wouldn't be surprised to see DL add a handful of domestic routes within the U.S. in order to feed to this flight within a few years. BOS-PDX comes to mind as a good transcon connector (although I think BOS-PDX would be a great route for DL to add regardless of connections), as well as some shorter routes into PDX, like LAS/SAN/SJC/SMF/SFO/DEN/PHX/BOI. Some would argue that this will take away from passengers connecting to their SEA-HND flight, but if that were the case, then I don't think Delta would be proposing PDX-HND at all.

Initially, I think there will definitely be an increase in feed from SLC, and definitely ATL. Currently, flight 68/69 originates and terminates in LAX; however it wouldn't surprise me if it were changed to ATL, and with a 763 to feed it, both with pax and especially cargo. What I found interesting in the application is that the flight would leave PDX at 14:15, some 3 hours after it does now, which would allow for extra feed from other cities, and is alluded to when they mention in the application that corporate travel would be from companies not necessarily headquartered in Portland. With the flight being an A332 with D1, Comfort + and Economy, that is less than what the other cities would be operated with (772 from ATL, A359 from DTW, A339 from SEA), which seems to target more price-sensitive passengers for PDX-HND. The morning JFK-PDX flight (a 739) would also help feed this flight as well. Lastly, any "overflow" from SEA would be routed on this flight, and the PDX-HND flight would be the last nonstop of the day from the U.S. to Japan on DL.

My bet is that will DL will focus on the PDX-HND and PDX-AMS flights, which will be daily year round, before trying to add additional cities from PDX. I think the LHR seasonal will remain as-is for a while, but at least with this year, it will be daily during the summer, as a way to counter Icelandair and Condor's service.

jbpdx

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 pm

FA9295 wrote:
N174UA wrote:
The other discussion that hopefully has already started at the Port of Portland is extending and/or expanding the D concourse.

YES! This is very much needed, and would significantly help the port to attract more long-haul international flights. If they were to make concourse D as long as concourse C, that would be an extra 8 gates added which provides room for a lot of potential growth.

I think additional gates in concourse D would also help incentivise Sun Country to continue expanding at PDX as well.

Concourse D needs a refresh. Extending it would require reconfiguring the T and E taxiways. The customs area will probably suffice for awhile. When I came thru in January I cleared customs in 5 minutes.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

babcock

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:50 am

N174UA wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

The other discussion that hopefully has already started at the Port of Portland is extending and/or expanding the D concourse. The current projects will further help PDX become an even better airport, and focuses on the 95% of domestic passengers that fly through there each year. They already have light rail, and no additional runways are needed or need to be extended. Once all those projects are done, PDX really needs to have a plan in place to improve the international traveler experience. The current D concourse is early 90s's era, and opened about the same time that UA's E1-E5 remodel was completed and opened in May 1992. But if PoP wants to see continued international growth, and especially seeing more of their current service going year-round, then there needs to be a big investment made. I can't speak for the FIS facility at PDX, but I did walk down to the end of D about two months ago. It's narrow, the Delta sky club is small and resembles more of a hotel lobby, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why all that space is locked up for some security arrangement? Is that FIS?

Concourse D could use a refresh but expansion isn't needed. It's the same width as the rest of the D concourse. There are 6 gates that are able to feed the FIS immigration and customs station downstairs. When D was built, Delta had many more international flights than PDX has today. The existing gates at the end of D are way underused and that's why you see a lack retail in that area. No one will lease space down at that end with the light foot traffic. That's why all the space is boarded up. It has nothing to do with security and more to do with lack of foot traffic during most of the day.

I'm glad to see Sun Country use of those gates. There is plenty of unused capacity in those gates during most of the day.

babcock

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 am

FA9295 wrote:
N174UA wrote:

There are 6 international gates in D, why would they need more gates to attract more long-haul international flights? With 6 N/S European and Asian flights, PDX has just as many international gates as flights! Market forces have more to do with whether or not PDX gets more international flights. The biggest issue is the need to take a bus after passing through FIS but that along doesn't justify the expense of moving it.

pdxav8r

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 am

FA9295...‘Some would argue that this will take away from passengers connecting to their SEA-HND flight, but if that were the case, then I don't think Delta would be proposing PDX-HND at all.’

DL proposed it because they are closing NRT, and want/need to retain PDX-TYO, be it contracts, revenue, infringement by a competitor, etc. They aren’t creating competition with SEA, but augmenting SEA service. There may be a little more effort with connections with the upgauge, but doubtful it will come with new cities to PDX on DL. Probably a few time re-alignments on current flights.
Last edited by pdxav8r on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 am

N174UA wrote:
- I don't understand why DL would want to do PDX-CDG...that would seemingly cannibalize the success they are having with PDX-AMS, which IS the only daily nonstop to Europe they have. Why mess with success?

AF could add PDX-CDG nonstop service, and AF already serves CDG nonstop from a few non-DL hub airports in the U.S. such as ORD, IAH, MIA, SFO, and IAD.

RWA380

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 am

pdxav8r wrote:
FA9295...‘Some would argue that this will take away from passengers connecting to their SEA-HND flight, but if that were the case, then I don't think Delta would be proposing PDX-HND at all.’

DL proposed it because they are closing NRT, and want/need to retain PDX-TYO, be it contracts, revenue, infringement by a competitor, etc. They aren’t creating competition with SEA, but augmenting SEA service. There may be a little more effort with connections with the upgauge, but doubtful it will come with new cities to PDX on DL. Probably a few time re-alignments on current flights.

I think with the estimated increase of Japanese POS, the upgauge is going to work out well for DL. They also know this is their shot at getting a significant move of operations over to HND, as DL isn’t connecting that many passengers, this flight has earned it’s keep in the DL network all on it’s own.

I fully agree this flight has nothing to do with a SEA-HND flight which DL feeds already domestically. in fact as others have suggested before me, the later timing of this departure will allow overflow from SEA to be pushed via PDX, that’s the most DL needs. I too agree any attempt to attempt domestic flights for connecting purposes via PDX, will be costly & likely somewhat ineffective, duplicating something they already have less than 200 miles to the North. In fact some may choose to go via SEA on the proposed A-359. I know several DL loyalists looking forward to flying it & I hope to get the type under my belt as well.

jplatts wrote:
N174UA wrote:

AF could add PDX-CDG nonstop service, and AF already serves CDG nonstop from a few non-DL hub airports in the U.S. such as ORD, IAH, MIA, SFO, and IAD.

Those cities you listed are huge metro areas & can’t possibly be equated with the rather small, middle sized market that PDX is. I get the enthusiasm & no one would love to see some more foreign tails here, but AF would pull passengers away from the AMS flight that DL operates.

During the off months the capacity that goes via AMS to LHR keeps the AMS route with decent bookings, during the summer, there is hardly anyplace that people go to from Portland that can’t be done via AMS, including CDG. Even this April the A-333 is on the route & the seat map for the day we are going is heavily blocked. I’m trying their Comfort + & overflying our destination to go via AMS & back-track to DUB.

The next thing that I think will happen also, is DL operating a year round LHR flight, even if they are 5 x weekly in low season, they can get enough business travelers that will use it. But once again may come at the expense of the SEA hub. Whatever happens GL to DL & if it helps PDX, then it’s a good thing.

jbpdx

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:00 am

Just noticed on Delta’s interactive route map, when entering nonstop routes from Portland a few cities are highlighted in red (active year round) but without route lines drawn: Paris, Boston and Cincinnati. Seasonal cities are highlighted in blue: London, Honolulu.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

AS737MAX

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 am

jbpdx wrote:
Just noticed on Delta’s interactive route map, when entering nonstop routes from Portland a few cities are highlighted in red (active year round) but without route lines drawn: Paris, Boston and Cincinnati. Seasonal cities are highlighted in blue: London, Honolulu.

I hate to curb your enthusiasm, but it looks like that's just the hub marking for SEA/LAX/SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/JFK/BOS/CVG/NRT/AMS/CDG

jbpdx

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:31 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I hate to curb your enthusiasm, but it looks like that's just the hub marking for SEA/LAX/SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/JFK/BOS/CVG/NRT/AMS/CDG

I figured that after I punched in MIA and a few other cities. Interesting though that those are the only three hubs not linked to PDX.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

AS737MAX

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:03 pm

jbpdx wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I figured that after I punched in MIA and a few other cities. Interesting though that those are the only three hubs not linked to PDX.

No worries, and I actually just completed a google sheet that shows the BTS Departure Data for airlines at PDX for every January and July 1 from 1988 to 2018:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I created pages for American, Alaska, JetBlue, America West, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, Spirit, Northwest, United, USAir/USAirways, Virgin America, and Southwest.

Not all of the data is present for airlines who started service to PDX after 1988, nor is it void of filing errors or errors on my part. Only mainline airlines are included, so no Compass, Horizon, SkyWest, etc. The empty blue boxes don't necessarily mean that service from PDX to that city wasn't operated that season, just that it may not have occurred on that day (Obviously 363 days are excluded so it's not totally comprehensive). International airlines and data also aren't listed. Toward the bottom of each page is a gc map showing all destinations served.

Some of the more interesting destinations that have been noticed by RWA380 in the past on these threads include AS-FAI, F9-STL/CLE/COS/AUS/PHX, NW-MEM, UA-CLE, and US-PIT.

And, jb, it looks like DL served CVG up until at least July 1, 2008. Delta drew down the hub around then.

Let me know if there's any questions I didn't answer!

AS737MAX

jbpdx

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Kind of confusing, is CVG really a hub or a focus city? I thought RDU was a hub too, which is what threw me off at first. The A220 would work for CVG-PDX, and couldn’t Delta squeeze out JetBlue by adding BOS? That would leave CDG as the only Delta hub not linked to PDX.
Should Delta look at PDX-MIA since they don’t do MIA-SEA? Direct plane MIA-PDX-HND?
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos