Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
lhpdx
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:31 am

Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:



Let's talk about the business. Brad, Alaska seems to just keep growing including the 2016 acquisition of Virgin America. Can you give us the 30,000-foot view of the company?

(Brad response) We've had an amazing amount of growth in the last five years. I think we've at least doubled in size. I think in the last seven or eight years we've tripled in size. There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that. We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan."
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5766
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:19 am

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Thank you for continuing this fine & time honored tradition of transcribing out from the OAG thread into our modest Oregon forum, hats off!

I came here to just lay some love for our PDX-SEA flyers. I was looking at pass space for a trip back east & noticed that the 6 am departure from PDX to SEA on AS is going to be utilizing the A321neo on flight #1477. I saw this for mid January travel.

Secondly, although this is not in Oregon, PSC is a bleed over airport for all of NE Oregon, mainly Pendleton, Milton-Freewater, Hermiston, but I feel it's worth noting this was pulled, a big ouch for PSC.

*UA LAX-PSC JAN 0.6>0.2[0] FEB 0.8>0[0] MAR 1.0>0[0.0] APR 1.0>0[1.0] MAY 1.0>0[1.0] JUN 1.0>0[1.0] JUL 1.0>0[1.0] AUG 1.0>0[1.0]


Agreed on PSC - seemed it launched to great fanfare.


It did, and PSC (Port of Benton) had worked really hard for a number of years to obtain a grant that would help attract a carrier on this route. It was a big deal when it was awarded and announced. But...it was a CRJ2 that was used, and the daily timing of it was terrible for connections.

PSC is getting a red-eye to ORD next June, on the E175, so I think that will be much better for folks here who want to connect on to the east coast. It's the first nonstop to ORD, and the furthest east from PSC.

As for LAX, I think eventually DL will add an early morning flight with an E175.

DeltaPSCFlyer (formerly known as N174UA)


Welcome back, I gotta update the few members I have on my friends list, never used the other function "foe", just seems very third grade, IDK. Anyway, topic at hand, I wonder if the times (that were mentioned to be poor for connections) but likely the only time of day UA could spare the frame for the r/t. I would imagine it was targeted for O/D traffic. LA basin garners lots of traffic from WA & OR. SFO is UA's connecting hub out of PSC.

lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:



Let's talk about the business. Brad, Alaska seems to just keep growing including the 2016 acquisition of Virgin America. Can you give us the 30,000-foot view of the company?

(Brad response) We've had an amazing amount of growth in the last five years. I think we've at least doubled in size. I think in the last seven or eight years we've tripled in size. There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that. We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan."


Nice to hear from Tildens mouth huh? Save this one & you can post it if someone gets dismayed by a cut or two that may come. AS is totally committed to Portland & I know that, because they are still dumping money into our community, they still are wanting to remain Portlands "go to" carrier for most top domestic markets & International markets via their partner carriers & mileage alliance members.

I don't think Portlands role is ever going to change, as long as AS is in it's current form. Portland is the biggest back up hub in the system & it's a perfect fit for AS, with a mere 30 minute flying time, planes can be moved very easily & often are last minute. Crew shuffles, even if Weather is so bad at one place they bus passengers, often weather in the PNW changes in mere miles. they are perfect for diversions, as AS has plenty of personal to meet & service diversions & delays & soon more gates.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
DeltaPSCFlyer
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm

dgreen wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
It did, and PSC (Port of Benton) had worked really hard for a number of years to obtain a grant that would help attract a carrier on this route. DeltaPSCFlyer (formerly known as N174UA)


I believe PSC is operated by the Port of Pasco.


Yes it is...my mistake. PSC is actually located in Franklin County, so that would make sense.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:31 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:

“There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that."



And that would be? San Luis Obispo is the only new route announced in two years and that doesn’t start until next summer. (Don’t include PAE, which is a different situation.)
^
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 pm

jbpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:

“There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that."



And that would be? San Luis Obispo is the only new route announced in two years and that doesn’t start until next summer. (Don’t include PAE, which is a different situation.)


The only other thing that comes to mind is double daily summer BOS.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5766
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:56 am

AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:

“There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that."



And that would be? San Luis Obispo is the only new route announced in two years and that doesn’t start until next summer. (Don’t include PAE, which is a different situation.)


The only other thing that comes to mind is double daily summer BOS.


LIH & KOA are now year round is another bump in seats, HNL is going double daily in S20, SEA is being up-gauged to 6 mainline departures daily, but they are reducing a few frequencies. Other than what has been mentioned, it's been rather flat. Maybe a couple of frequency increases to other hubs like LAX, SFO, SAN or SJC.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm

https://www.anna.aero/

Anna.aero has an article on US-Cancun traffic. Portland is the No. 1 unserved nonstop route.

Cancun–US sees 3.3 million indirect passengers; InterJet returns
50 US airports see a median of 43,000 people connect to Cancun


“2.5 million of these 3.3 million connecting passengers flew to/from 50 US airports. Of course, these include most key airports.  These 50, shown below, have a median of 43,000 connecting passengers, whether they’re already served or not.  15 are unserved, led by Portland. At 2,634 miles, it’s a long way – and, crucially, it passes multiple hubs. It’s also a smaller market than Seattle (served daily), although that’s before stimulation.”

78,151 passengers traveled between PDX-CUN this year through September. Interesting that the article mentions the route’s long distance as a hindrance. Meanwhile, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have multiple daily nonstops.
^
 
pdxav8r
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:22 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:

“There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that."



And that would be? San Luis Obispo is the only new route announced in two years and that doesn’t start until next summer. (Don’t include PAE, which is a different situation.)


The only other thing that comes to mind is double daily summer BOS.


Don't think this is summer only now. They still have the morning flight, and just moved the afternoon flight to a redeye. Flight numbers 30 and 36.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5766
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 pm

jbpdx wrote:
https://www.anna.aero/

Anna.aero has an article on US-Cancun traffic. Portland is the No. 1 unserved nonstop route.

Cancun–US sees 3.3 million indirect passengers; InterJet returns
50 US airports see a median of 43,000 people connect to Cancun


“2.5 million of these 3.3 million connecting passengers flew to/from 50 US airports. Of course, these include most key airports.  These 50, shown below, have a median of 43,000 connecting passengers, whether they’re already served or not.  15 are unserved, led by Portland. At 2,634 miles, it’s a long way – and, crucially, it passes multiple hubs. It’s also a smaller market than Seattle (served daily), although that’s before stimulation.”

78,151 passengers traveled between PDX-CUN this year through September. Interesting that the article mentions the route’s long distance as a hindrance. Meanwhile, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have multiple daily nonstops.


Thanks for sharing this. I think Air Transat has been the only n/s carrier on this route, it was decades ago routing YVR-PDX-CUN on an A-310 IIRC. I would guess AS has looked at it on paper & keeps feeding their traffic from PDX via SEA. I think this could be a great 2-3 x weekly SY flight however. Which makes me feel that SY has likely also looked at the route & the logistics.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
lhpdx
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:37 pm

"We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan." I'm curious to know exactly what Alaska Airline CEO Brad Tilden means by this statement...
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:59 am

11/24 OAG: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1435579

AS MCO-PDX MAY 1.0>1.3[1.0]
AS PDX-SEA MAY 20>18[16]
AS PDX-SFO MAY 8>7[8]

UA LAX-RDM JUN 1.0>1.9[1.0] JUL 1.0>2[1.0] AUG 1.0>2[1.0]
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:15 pm

PDX Portland International Airport
October 2019 passenger traffic


Now negative year to date. This is the 4th negative month in 2019.

(Compared to October 2018)
Total:
1,663,538 (1,673,196)
-0.6% :alert:

Year to date:
16,671,738 (16,686,407)
-0.1% :alert:

Domestic:
1,606,384 (1,606,684)
0%
Year to date: +0.1%

International:
57,154 (66,512)
-14.1% :alert:
Year to date: -3.6% :alert:
^
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5766
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
11/24 OAG: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1435579

AS MCO-PDX MAY 1.0>1.3[1.0]
AS PDX-SEA MAY 20>18[16]
AS PDX-SFO MAY 8>7[8]

UA LAX-RDM JUN 1.0>1.9[1.0] JUL 1.0>2[1.0] AUG 1.0>2[1.0]


It looks like we know where the frame from UA's PSC cut just got placed onto LAX-RDM for 2 x daily. That is no surprise given a sizeable portion of Redmond/Bend's population hale from California.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 pm

RWA380 wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I think Air Transat has been the only n/s carrier on this route, it was decades ago routing YVR-PDX-CUN on an A-310 IIRC. I would guess AS has looked at it on paper & keeps feeding their traffic from PDX via SEA. I think this could be a great 2-3 x weekly SY flight however. Which makes me feel that SY has likely also looked at the route & the logistics.


I’m an Alaska MileagePlan member but I won’t fly north to go south and add hours to the trip. Why not route SEA-PDX-CUN? Or SEA-PDX-MSY, SEA-PDX-TPA etc.? But that would be too logical. (Another reason I’m also a Delta SkyMiles member, e.g. better to go PDX-SLC-CUN.) As for Sun Country, they need a lot more planes.
^
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:49 pm

jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I think Air Transat has been the only n/s carrier on this route, it was decades ago routing YVR-PDX-CUN on an A-310 IIRC. I would guess AS has looked at it on paper & keeps feeding their traffic from PDX via SEA. I think this could be a great 2-3 x weekly SY flight however. Which makes me feel that SY has likely also looked at the route & the logistics.


I’m an Alaska MileagePlan member but I won’t fly north to go south and add hours to the trip. Why not route SEA-PDX-CUN? Or SEA-PDX-MSY, SEA-PDX-TPA etc.? But that would be too logical. (Another reason I’m also a Delta SkyMiles member, e.g. better to go PDX-SLC-CUN.) As for Sun Country, they need a lot more planes.


Not to mention it's significantly more expensive to do the AS "Connect at SeaTac" jaunt. It's hard to pass up SY when routes are a 1/3 of the price and nonstop. Some, but not all, of the cities not served from PDX by AS require one of the early shuttle flights just to make it to SEA in time.
 
User avatar
bigfoot0503
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:33 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:



Let's talk about the business. Brad, Alaska seems to just keep growing including the 2016 acquisition of Virgin America. Can you give us the 30,000-foot view of the company?

(Brad response) We've had an amazing amount of growth in the last five years. I think we've at least doubled in size. I think in the last seven or eight years we've tripled in size. There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that. We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan."


Encouraging statement...however I would think that any future growth by AS at PDX is going to be limited to what extent the ongoing expansion projects allow. Particularly the situation on C Concourse. I haven't seen it with my own eyes but just viewing the pictures of the temporary setup for Horizon and SkyWest at the end of C conjure up some rather nightmarish scenarios (particularly during irregular ops). I would think that the space AS needs to do business won't really come about until the summer of 2020 when hopefully the Concourse E extension is complete and Southwest moves their operations to the six new gates of that expansion. The Southwest move will certainly help the gate situation for Concourse C. Look one year beyond to the summer of 2021 and hopefully the enhancement and enlargement of Concourse B will be complete and Alaska can again have the E175's and Q400's operating out of ground load gates and additional gates for their regional operations.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5766
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 am

jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I think Air Transat has been the only n/s carrier on this route, it was decades ago routing YVR-PDX-CUN on an A-310 IIRC. I would guess AS has looked at it on paper & keeps feeding their traffic from PDX via SEA. I think this could be a great 2-3 x weekly SY flight however. Which makes me feel that SY has likely also looked at the route & the logistics.


I’m an Alaska MileagePlan member but I won’t fly north to go south and add hours to the trip. Why not route SEA-PDX-CUN? Or SEA-PDX-MSY, SEA-PDX-TPA etc.? But that would be too logical. (Another reason I’m also a Delta SkyMiles member, e.g. better to go PDX-SLC-CUN.) As for Sun Country, they need a lot more planes.


Yes, all my miles are with AS now, but they fly n/s to most everywhere I go regularly from PDX & for International I usually fly a partner carrier with mileage accrual. I will fly PDX-SEA-CUN since I prefer the one long flight & one short hop, I hate connecting in the mess that is Seattle, but I equally hate LAX & SFO. All of these experiences are supposed to be streamlined in the future, but if I must connect, I'll look for SAN or SJC first.

I have never flown on SY & while they seem to be struggling here, I think their 2-5 x weekly flying, is one reason CUN would even be feasible, I doubt daily service is warranted except at peak holiday times.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
PDX757
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:33 pm

It's good to hear AS affirm their commitment to PDX. Regarding mainline flights to SEA, is this an effect of fewer pilots at QX? Or is the pilot shortage not really a thing anymore?
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:32 pm

More from PDX October traffic report:

14.1% decline in international traffic attributed to:
▫️Aeromexico (-100%) elimination of PDX-MEX
▫️Condor (-100%) early (September) end to PDX-FRA
▫️Air Canada (-100%) early (September) end of PDX-YYZ
▫️Icelandair (-31.3%) on 24 flights, down from 34 in October 2018

Sun Country (+205.3%) doubled number of flights from 58 to 124, passengers up to 17,314 from 5,671.
JetBlue (+61.4%) increased flights to 158 from 116 in Oct. 2018.
OneWorld’s presence at PDX continues to fade. American (-8.8%) cut flights from 874 to 748.
Frontier (-8.1%) cut flights from 132 to 124, passengers down to 18,475 from 20,093.

Compass +101.4%*
Skywest +73.8%
Volaris +34%
Spirit +8.1%
Delta +5.5%

United -14.4%
Southwest -9%
Horizon -5.4%
Alaska -0.2%

*operates for Delta to SEA, American to LAX
^
 
PDX757
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:15 am

jbpdx wrote:
More from PDX October traffic report:

14.1% decline in international traffic attributed to:
▫️Aeromexico (-100%) elimination of PDX-MEX
▫️Condor (-100%) early (September) end to PDX-FRA
▫️Air Canada (-100%) early (September) end of PDX-YYZ
▫️Icelandair (-31.3%) on 24 flights, down from 34 in October 2018

Sun Country (+205.3%) doubled number of flights from 58 to 124, passengers up to 17,314 from 5,671.
JetBlue (+61.4%) increased flights to 158 from 116 in Oct. 2018.
OneWorld’s presence at PDX continues to fade. American (-8.8%) cut flights from 874 to 748.
Frontier (-8.1%) cut flights from 132 to 124, passengers down to 18,475 from 20,093.

Compass +101.4%*
Skywest +73.8%
Volaris +34%
Spirit +8.1%
Delta +5.5%

United -14.4%
Southwest -9%
Horizon -5.4%
Alaska -0.2%

*operates for Delta to SEA, American to LAX


SY doubles flights and triples pax; excellent news for them!
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:13 am

What’s up with the Amsterdam flight today? Delayed to 3pm, then 4pm, now cancelled. Previous flight came in on time from Tokyo.
^
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:41 pm

jbpdx wrote:
What’s up with the Amsterdam flight today? Delayed to 3pm, then 4pm, now cancelled. Previous flight came in on time from Tokyo.


What did they do with the plane that didn’t depart for AMS Friday? They don’t have two scheduled to go out today.
^
 
pdxav8r
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:05 pm

jbpdx wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
What’s up with the Amsterdam flight today? Delayed to 3pm, then 4pm, now cancelled. Previous flight came in on time from Tokyo.


What did they do with the plane that didn’t depart for AMS Friday? They don’t have two scheduled to go out today.


Per the PDX website, DL 178 is departing on time, and the Friday flight is going out at 3pm as flight 9902.

The NRT flight has nothing to do with the AMS flight, as it turns back to NRT, doesn’t go to AMS. Usually the NRT departure is prior to when the AMS flight arrives.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Right. But the scheduled Friday PDX-AMS showed the previous flight as being NRT-PDX, on FlightView.
^
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 am

12/1 OAG: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1436045 (Updated post in comments by enilria)

AA DFW-PDX MAR 5>3[4]
AA ORD-PDX MAR 1.0>1.3[1.0]

FI KEF-PDX APR 0.4>0[0.4] MAY 0.6>0.5[0.5]

UA DEN-MFR MAY 2>3[3] JUN 2>4[3] JUL 2>4[3] AUG 2>4[3] SEP 2>4[3]
UA DEN-RDM MAY 2>3[2] JUN 2>3[3] JUL 2>3[3] AUG 2>3[3] SEP 2>3[3]
UA PDX-SFO MAY 8>7[7]
UA RDM-SFO JUN 4>5[5] JUL 4>5[5] AUG 4>5[5] SEP 4>5[4]
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:19 pm

AS737MAX wrote:

FI KEF-PDX APR 0.4>0[0.4] MAY 0.6>0.5[0.5]



Hard to believe a year ago we were talking about them going year round. They were up to operating March—January. Aerlingus?
^
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:51 pm

With passenger traffic now negative for the year, it looks inevitable that PDX will miss 20 million again.
^
 
PacificWest
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
12/1 OAG: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1436045 (Updated post in comments by enilria)

AA DFW-PDX MAR 5>3[4]
AA ORD-PDX MAR 1.0>1.3[1.0]

FI KEF-PDX APR 0.4>0[0.4] MAY 0.6>0.5[0.5]

UA DEN-MFR MAY 2>3[3] JUN 2>4[3] JUL 2>4[3] AUG 2>4[3] SEP 2>4[3]
UA DEN-RDM MAY 2>3[2] JUN 2>3[3] JUL 2>3[3] AUG 2>3[3] SEP 2>3[3]
UA PDX-SFO MAY 8>7[7]
UA RDM-SFO JUN 4>5[5] JUL 4>5[5] AUG 4>5[5] SEP 4>5[4]


Was DEN-MFR already 4x daily in the summer, or is this a bump up in frequency?

They already have a A320 on the evening flight food this route.

Also wonder if this means no new flight to ORD which was rumored...
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Condor released the 2020 summer schedule today.

FRA-PDX 5x/week Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri

Season begins 17 April
^
 
DeltaPSCFlyer
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:03 am

jbpdx wrote:
Condor released the 2020 summer schedule today.

FRA-PDX 5x/week Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri

Season begins 17 April


Looks like Condor will survive after all, and it's harder to imagine that LH will return to PDX. FI has their MAX issues, but with Condor returning, an upgrade to the 764 for DL to LHR, and the ongoing rumor of BA coming to PDX, I'm starting to wonder if FI has a long-term future in the PDX market?
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 pm

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:

Looks like Condor will survive after all, and it's harder to imagine that LH will return to PDX. FI has their MAX issues, but with Condor returning, an upgrade to the 764 for DL to LHR, and the ongoing rumor of BA coming to PDX, I'm starting to wonder if FI has a long-term future in the PDX market?


I still don’t see BA going up against DL to LHR. AerLingus might be a good alternative if IAG wants a presence at PDX, and as an alternative to FI for (lower cost?) connections across Europe. Cutting back the schedule is not going to help Icelandair in Portland.
^
 
GhostXC
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Attn PDX spotters.... UA's Star Wars 738 is here!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/ ... rline-0280
 
User avatar
bigfoot0503
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:40 pm

jbpdx wrote:
DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:

Looks like Condor will survive after all, and it's harder to imagine that LH will return to PDX. FI has their MAX issues, but with Condor returning, an upgrade to the 764 for DL to LHR, and the ongoing rumor of BA coming to PDX, I'm starting to wonder if FI has a long-term future in the PDX market?


I still don’t see BA going up against DL to LHR. AerLingus might be a good alternative if IAG wants a presence at PDX, and as an alternative to FI for (lower cost?) connections across Europe. Cutting back the schedule is not going to help Icelandair in Portland.


Frankly I still am perplexed with some of the information that has come about regarding BA and potential PDX service. Granted most of that has been speculation...however wasn't there a Port of Portland meeting where the Port's director indicated that some forthcoming service addition was going to be announced??? His message was clearly some form of "loose" suggestion that something was on the horizon. I really would like to see BA here in Portland...but in the absence of that I would very much prefer that DL go year-round with the PDX-LHR flight instead.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Condor released the 2020 summer schedule today.

FRA-PDX 5x/week Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri

Season begins 17 April


Correction:

FRA-PDX 5x/week Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri

Season begins 10 April
Ends 23 October
^
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:42 pm

ANA787 wrote:


Apparently yes.

“Airport slots are the most critical factor,” said Korean Air vice-president of network planning Hoyoon Jeong. “We can talk about the new route or a new plan, but everything now is related to the slot issues.

“It is very difficult to get any slots at this time. Even in Incheon Airport we cannot offer any new routes from 8am to 10pm. We have to go early in the morning at 6am, or arrive at midnight. That’s the only available slots.”

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... rs-growth/

At this point, probably the only way would be to poach one of SEA’s FIVE DAILY flights. A better plan would be to go after China Airlines to Taipei and its extensive Asia network.
^
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:54 pm

jbpdx wrote:
ANA787 wrote:


Apparently yes.

“Airport slots are the most critical factor,” said Korean Air vice-president of network planning Hoyoon Jeong. “We can talk about the new route or a new plan, but everything now is related to the slot issues.

“It is very difficult to get any slots at this time. Even in Incheon Airport we cannot offer any new routes from 8am to 10pm. We have to go early in the morning at 6am, or arrive at midnight. That’s the only available slots.”

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... rs-growth/

At this point, probably the only way would be to poach one of SEA’s FIVE DAILY flights. A better plan would be to go after China Airlines to Taipei and its extensive Asia network.


How do you figure SEA has five daily flights to ICN?
 
zonks
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:24 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
How do you figure SEA has five daily flights to ICN?


I believe there are only three daily from SEA to ICN, with DL, KE & OZ each having flights. Some of the extra flights that show up are cargo flights.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:18 am

zonks wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
How do you figure SEA has five daily flights to ICN?


I believe there are only three daily from SEA to ICN, with DL, KE & OZ each having flights. Some of the extra flights that show up are cargo flights.


Right. I looked at FlightView and didn’t check the aircraft type.
^
 
UnitedFlyer
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:43 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:43 am

It seems this is the first time MFR-DEN has gone to 4 flights for the summer. Hopefully ORD is still being considered...
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:49 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:



Let's talk about the business. Brad, Alaska seems to just keep growing including the 2016 acquisition of Virgin America. Can you give us the 30,000-foot view of the company?

(Brad response) We've had an amazing amount of growth in the last five years. I think we've at least doubled in size. I think in the last seven or eight years we've tripled in size. There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that. We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan."


I had to revisit this quote. It’s absolutely laughable. By the way, again in 2020 Alaska is suspending PDX-MCI. With Southwest also off the route at the same time there is no nonstop from 7 January—18 March.
^
 
flyoregon
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:04 pm

jbpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:



Let's talk about the business. Brad, Alaska seems to just keep growing including the 2016 acquisition of Virgin America. Can you give us the 30,000-foot view of the company?

(Brad response) We've had an amazing amount of growth in the last five years. I think we've at least doubled in size. I think in the last seven or eight years we've tripled in size. There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that. We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan."


I had to revisit this quote. It’s absolutely laughable. By the way, again in 2020 Alaska is suspending PDX-MCI. With Southwest also off the route at the same time there is no nonstop from 7 January—18 March.


I’m not sure I’d say it’s laughable. In the last 5 to 10 years, AS has grown significantly in Portland. Just look at all the new service and added seats that have been added by Alaska (and some other airlines) in Portland. Sure, some routes have been scaled back or cancelled, but I think Tilden would know better than we likely would looking in from the outside.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5766
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:09 am

flyoregon wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Here's some tasty morsel from the recent power breakfast in Portland featuring Alaska Air CEO Brad Tilden:



Let's talk about the business. Brad, Alaska seems to just keep growing including the 2016 acquisition of Virgin America. Can you give us the 30,000-foot view of the company?

(Brad response) We've had an amazing amount of growth in the last five years. I think we've at least doubled in size. I think in the last seven or eight years we've tripled in size. There's a ton of new service out of Portland and we're super proud of that. We're updating our strategic plan right now for the next five years, and "Portland is really prominent in that plan."


I had to revisit this quote. It’s absolutely laughable. By the way, again in 2020 Alaska is suspending PDX-MCI. With Southwest also off the route at the same time there is no nonstop from 7 January—18 March.


I’m not sure I’d say it’s laughable. In the last 5 to 10 years, AS has grown significantly in Portland. Just look at all the new service and added seats that have been added by Alaska (and some other airlines) in Portland. Sure, some routes have been scaled back or cancelled, but I think Tilden would know better than we likely would looking in from the outside.


As has been told to me several times, Alaska measures by number of seats offered, not destinations served. So by Brad stating that Alaska has grown by 100% is just upgauging to 737's from A-320's or E-175's, not necessarily only new destinations.

Of course the number of cities added to the PDX station have been many since in the early 80's when their ONLY lower 48 route was SEA-PDX. Without AS springing forth, UA would likely have remained the NW powerhouse it was & we'd still have UA doing intra-Northwest flying.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:56 pm

WN adding PDX-BNA nonstop - Saturdays only. Appears to begin June 13.

PR: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... st-10-2020
 
AS737MAX
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:54 am

The Cargo Rush has ramped up again, here's today's arrivals:

1:31am UPS958 MHR B752
3:01am UPS966 ONT B752
3:20am MGE998 ONT B752 (Asia Pacific Airlines, Cargo Charter)
4:02am FDX1857 OAK MD-11
4:43am UPS978 SDF MD-11
4:46am UPS972 ONT MD-11
5:03am FDX1185 AFW B752
5:15am UPS970 RFD B752
5:48am FDX1415 MEM MD-11
5:57am UPS974 SDF B763
6:08am FDX2779 IND A306
9:33am ABX904 SEA B762
9:59am UPS2875 PHX B752
11:13am UPS2473 MDT B752
11:15am SOO3603 RFD B738
11:30am UPS2040 RFD A306
12:06pm SOO3609 IAH B738
12:16pm GTI3524 BWI B763
1:10pm MGE2490 ONT B752
1:58pm UPS2902 SDF B763
3:34pm UPS2408 BFI B763
3:45pm UPS2474 CAE B752
4:12pm FDX781 MEM B763
4:23pm UPS2972 ONT MD-11
4:29pm UPS2472 SDF MD-11
4:31pm UPS2992 RFD B752
4:49pm UPS2976 SDF B763
5:05pm GTI3015 CVG B763
-
Enroute/Scheduled
5:24pm FDX3034 EWR MD-11
5:36pm UPS2974 SDF MD-11
5:42pm FDX582 MEM MD-11
6:12pm FDX3704 IND MD-11
6:41pm UPS2986 BFI B763
7:54pm UPS2978 DFW A306
8:17pm GTI2448 SDF *B744*
9:01pm UPS957 BFI B752
 
lhpdx
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:08 am

It's truly amazing how many cargo flights occur during the December holiday rush.................. :P
 
bobbaker19
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:20 am

Big PDX announcement coming on Tuesday. Think international.
 
lhpdx
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 am

bobbaker19 wrote:
Big PDX announcement coming on Tuesday. Think international.


I can't wait!!
 
lhpdx
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:51 am

lhpdx wrote:
bobbaker19 wrote:
Big PDX announcement coming on Tuesday. Think international.


Thanks for the update Bobaker19!!....Looking forward to the news.......
 
ANA787
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:31 am

bobbaker19 wrote:
Big PDX announcement coming on Tuesday. Think international.


My prediction, one of the following:
1. BA to LHR
2. JAL to NRT
3. DL to CDG and ICN
4. ANA to NRT
5. KE to ICN
6. AM returning to PDX-MEX
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3568
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:40 am

bobbaker19 wrote:
Big PDX announcement coming on Tuesday. Think international.


Was this posted on a social media site or something?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos