RWA380

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
PacificWest wrote:
UA 757-200 just landed at PDX (#1875 SFO-PDX)

Can't remember the last time I saw one at PDX.... only 737's these days

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KSFO/KPDX

Gosh, I miss those days of 757's all over the place at PDX. I remember a time, I want to say 2002/2003, when UA, AA, NW, DL, CO were all flying 757's into Portland. If you'd go to PDX at night, the row of UA RON's was 4-6 757's all parked out near where the UAEX was.

And going back further, I miss the old UA days, when the gates were littered with stretch DC-8’s. If you were lucky enough to have an early morning departure, you would witness RON’s of the UA DC-8’s, a couple UA DC-10’s, couple NW DC-10’s, an EA L1011 (or A300), a HA DC-10, DL L1011, was a beautiful sight.

I remember flying into Portland at nearly 4am on an EA & DL L-1011. Each one had a n/s tag from SEA after 3am. So we could go out for a night at then clubs & unless you were “busy” after the club, we’d get on the return flight at 3:15 in the morning. BN used to fly an old AA 747 as a tag from HNL on the beast. But I can remember flying a HA L-1011 early morning from Portland to Seattle. TW L-1011, NW DC-10’s too.

The last DC-8-72 I flew was UA PDX-SFO in F on our way to HNL one Friday night I was trying to sneak away for the weekend unnoticed, our gate is next to the gate, the Concorde is arriving at on what is now D. I am hiding in a corner, while the press is everywhere, I know footage is going on the news, it was the arrival of the Concorde that delayed our flight, we race to make our connection in SFO & fly with an extra engine to HNL on a classic 747.

AS737MAX wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
nmraja wrote:

Have a nice trip. Please don't think I am arguing against your comment on CDG. I am asking this because I don't know enough history. Was there a good business case or did people think RKV would be a possibility or a success (whatever it has now) before Iceland Air started PDX service?

Thank You, I am meeting up with five half brothers & sisters I never knew existed until a few months ago in Dublin. Even if you disagree with me that’s fine, we can have a conversation about the subject, but no worries.

I feel a CDG flight on AF or DL would take away the connecting traffic that helps fill the 763 or A-333 to AMS, enough so that it would cannibalize the profitability of Amsterdam from Delta.

I am sure there is one or two places that are exceptions, but there are almost no cities that can be obtained via CDG that can’t be reached going via AMS.

I think KEF was a good place to go from Portland, it’s ability as a hub that serves the better part of Northern Europe has given several one-stop options that didn’t exist before FI. The marketing folks in Iceland have become very good as promoting Iceland as a bonus destination & not just a stopover.

But as it is with any new International flights from untested cities can bring a level of uncertainty & risk for any carrier.

I think too that none of us could have expected DE and FI, especially after LH’s departure and the shaky future that came with DL to AMS/NRT after the NW merger. Now both carriers are up to almost daily and are starting earlier and ending later than they did in S15. Obviously neither budget carrier is going to match up to Delta, but an extra city, even if it is Paris, would only hurt AMS/LHR like you mentioned. Maybe it would have happened if we hadn’t gotten DE/FI and DL to LHR.

On an unrelated note, looks like low viz is causing issues at RDM:

KRDM 280756Z AUTO 31003KT 1SM BR VV002 03/02 A3001 RMK AO2 SLP173 T00280022 400890022

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QXE2304

I agree, once LH left there was no indication PDX would attract another European carrier, let alone two. I think LHR was going to happen, in fact considering it’s a top destination from PDX I am surprised it’s taken as long as it has to even obtain a flight.

In the off months, DL knows it’s European passengers will happily transit AMS for destinations in the British Isles. A fair number of people do travel PDX-AMS-LHR.

Even when the seasonal n/s is operating, those people mostly take the non-stop, it’s much more O/D traffic in the summer, but in the winter DL can only fill a 763 with one flight to Europe a day, I think the next thing that should happen is LHR year round & focusing any potential CDG passengers via AMS.

nmraja wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Thank You, I am meeting up with five half brothers & sisters I never knew existed until a few months ago in Dublin. Even if you disagree with me that’s fine, we can have a conversation about the subject, but no worries.

I feel a CDG flight on AF or DL would take away the connecting traffic that helps fill the 763 or A-333 to AMS, enough so that it would cannibalize the profitability of Amsterdam from Delta.

I am sure there is one or two places that are exceptions, but there are almost no cities that can be obtained via CDG that can’t be reached going via AMS.

I think KEF was a good place to go from Portland, it’s ability as a hub that serves the better part of Northern Europe has given several one-stop options that didn’t exist before FI. The marketing folks in Iceland have become very good as promoting Iceland as a bonus destination & not just a stopover.

But as it is with any new International flights from untested cities can bring a level of uncertainty & risk for any carrier.

Thanks for your response. Interesting to hear the personal reasons of your trip. Have fun.

I didn't realize till now that KEF flight is also used for onward connections. Now this dents my hopes that CDG would provide more connections. My only hope is that DL/AF/KLM combo could provide better options but I do see that it will impact AMS connections negatively.

The one reason that raised my hope was that there seems to be a lot of Netherlands-Portland travel more than people connecting to other places in Europe. I did see quite a few onward connections to Asia, like I did. I don't have any detailed proof, but just mere observations from the occasional trips.

Another reason for hope is the continued increase in frequency/period/up-gauge of the other Europe flights out of PDX.

The other reason is that there's still tons of people using SEA to travel to Europe/Asia. On my recent trip, 3 other people from my office used SEA route. I tried my best to make it a PDX route. Since LHR wasn't operation at this time of the year, I had only AMS option and squeezed it out. :)

Absolutely, Yes my upcoming trip has a uniqueness to it, guess my Dad got an Irish lady pregnant while working on the Railroads in Rhodesia in the 1960’s, They split, because Pop was going back to Ireland, where he married & had five children. He never knew I existed & my parents today are my adopted family. So that’s why my entire family is from Zimbabwe & South Africa, but I am 98% Irish.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

flyoregon

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:05 pm

RWA380 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Gosh, I miss those days of 757's all over the place at PDX. I remember a time, I want to say 2002/2003, when UA, AA, NW, DL, CO were all flying 757's into Portland. If you'd go to PDX at night, the row of UA RON's was 4-6 757's all parked out near where the UAEX was.

And going back further, I miss the old UA days, when the gates were littered with stretch DC-8’s. If you were lucky enough to have an early morning departure, you would witness RON’s of the UA DC-8’s, a couple UA DC-10’s, couple NW DC-10’s, an EA L1011 (or A300), a HA DC-10, DL L1011, was a beautiful sight.

I remember flying into Portland at nearly 4am on an EA & DL L-1011. Each one had a n/s tag from SEA after 3am. So we could go out for a night at then clubs & unless you were “busy” after the club, we’d get on the return flight at 3:15 in the morning. BN used to fly an old AA 747 as a tag from HNL on the beast. But I can remember flying a HA L-1011 early morning from Portland to Seattle. TW L-1011, NW DC-10’s too.

The last DC-8-72 I flew was UA PDX-SFO in F on our way to HNL one Friday night I was trying to sneak away for the weekend unnoticed, our gate is next to the gate, the Concorde is arriving at on what is now D. I am hiding in a corner, while the press is everywhere, I know footage is going on the news, it was the arrival of the Concorde that delayed our flight, we race to make our connection in SFO & fly with an extra engine to HNL on a classic 747.

AS737MAX wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

I think too that none of us could have expected DE and FI, especially after LH’s departure and the shaky future that came with DL to AMS/NRT after the NW merger. Now both carriers are up to almost daily and are starting earlier and ending later than they did in S15. Obviously neither budget carrier is going to match up to Delta, but an extra city, even if it is Paris, would only hurt AMS/LHR like you mentioned. Maybe it would have happened if we hadn’t gotten DE/FI and DL to LHR.

KRDM 280756Z AUTO 31003KT 1SM BR VV002 03/02 A3001 RMK AO2 SLP173 T00280022 400890022

I agree, once LH left there was no indication PDX would attract another European carrier, let alone two. I think LHR was going to happen, in fact considering it’s a top destination from PDX I am surprised it’s taken as long as it has to even obtain a flight.

In the off months, DL knows it’s European passengers will happily transit AMS for destinations in the British Isles. A fair number of people do travel PDX-AMS-LHR.

Even when the seasonal n/s is operating, those people mostly take the non-stop, it’s much more O/D traffic in the summer, but in the winter DL can only fill a 763 with one flight to Europe a day, I think the next thing that should happen is LHR year round & focusing any potential CDG passengers via AMS.

nmraja wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Thanks for your response. Interesting to hear the personal reasons of your trip. Have fun.

I didn't realize till now that KEF flight is also used for onward connections. Now this dents my hopes that CDG would provide more connections. My only hope is that DL/AF/KLM combo could provide better options but I do see that it will impact AMS connections negatively.

The one reason that raised my hope was that there seems to be a lot of Netherlands-Portland travel more than people connecting to other places in Europe. I did see quite a few onward connections to Asia, like I did. I don't have any detailed proof, but just mere observations from the occasional trips.

Another reason for hope is the continued increase in frequency/period/up-gauge of the other Europe flights out of PDX.

The other reason is that there's still tons of people using SEA to travel to Europe/Asia. On my recent trip, 3 other people from my office used SEA route. I tried my best to make it a PDX route. Since LHR wasn't operation at this time of the year, I had only AMS option and squeezed it out. :)

Absolutely, Yes my upcoming trip has a uniqueness to it, guess my Dad got an Irish lady pregnant while working on the Railroads in Rhodesia in the 1960’s, They split, because Pop was going back to Ireland, where he married & had five children. He never knew I existed & my parents today are my adopted family. So that’s why my entire family is from Zimbabwe & South Africa, but I am 98% Irish.

Well, that's quite the tale...

lhpdx

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:45 pm

flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

AS737MAX wrote:

nmraja wrote:

Don't forget about the daily UPS 747-100 and 200's........

RWA380

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:48 am

flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

AS737MAX wrote:

nmraja wrote:

You can’t imagine how it fits in the narrative ... It is interestingly only part of the uniqueness to my entire life. When layed out for me, I’ve been told I could write a book.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

N174UA

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 am

----
Must have been late '80s, maybe 1988? My Dad worked for UA at PDX at the time, and knew when the Concorde was arriving. He, my Sister and I were got into a United truck and parked under the right wingtip of a DC-8...maybe yours?! Anyhow, a Port of Portland vehicle pulled up and told my Dad that he had to leave right away. My Dad quickly reminded the PoP employee that we were on United Airlines property, not the Port's, as we were in a company vehicle parked under a company aircraft. The PoP dude wasn't happy, but knew my Dad was right, and left.

The Concorde parked parallel to what was D at that time, and was going to do a travel agency promo trip that was halfway to Hawaii and back to PDX. I remember it taxiing by us and how LOUD it was! Closest I had been to Concorde at the time. On Nov. 5th, 2003, I saw G-BOAG arrive for the last time at BFI before being dedicated for the Museum of Flight.

RWA380

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 am

N174UA wrote:
----
Must have been late '80s, maybe 1988? My Dad worked for UA at PDX at the time, and knew when the Concorde was arriving. He, my Sister and I were got into a United truck and parked under the right wingtip of a DC-8...maybe yours?! Anyhow, a Port of Portland vehicle pulled up and told my Dad that he had to leave right away. My Dad quickly reminded the PoP employee that we were on United Airlines property, not the Port's, as we were in a company vehicle parked under a company aircraft. The PoP dude wasn't happy, but knew my Dad was right, and left.

The Concorde parked parallel to what was D at that time, and was going to do a travel agency promo trip that was halfway to Hawaii and back to PDX. I remember it taxiing by us and how LOUD it was! Closest I had been to Concorde at the time. On Nov. 5th, 2003, I saw G-BOAG arrive for the last time at BFI before being dedicated for the Museum of Flight.

Now that is fantastic, I WAS on that plane you were next to, we were parked the gate just East of the where the Concorde parked. One gate down on the river side of what is now D.

We were the only UA DC-8-72 on the ground & were held until the Concorde was in place. We were seated on the right side the aircraft in row 4, if memory serves me right, I am sure 1988 is correct. Very cool that that many years ago, we can pinpoint a time we both shared & all thanks to being a commercial aviation nut.

It was a Friday evening, say about 4:30pm scheduled departure time out of PDX, I remember closing our agency early (I was the manager & my boss was in Africa on Safari) We flew home on Sunday afternoon on NW in F, 742 to 72S SEA.

jbpdx

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Condor PDX-FRA season begins 5 May.
Operates 2x/week (Sun/Thur).
On 7 June, 3x/week (Sun/Thu/Fri).
On 10 June, 5x/week (Sun/Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri).
Season ends 27 September.

pdxav8r

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:54 pm

Anybody have a clue why the AA PDX-ORD flight has been cancelled every day this week? Seems odd.

AS737MAX

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 pm

jbpdx wrote:

I'm flying PDX-FRA on September 19th and FRA-PDX on September 24th (quick trip, I know). Will be interesting to see what loads look like as it gets real cheap each way at the end of that month.

pdxav8r wrote:
Anybody have a clue why the AA PDX-ORD flight has been cancelled every day this week? Seems odd.

Related to the MAX grounding. From Enilria's OAG thread: AA ORD-PDX APR 1.0>0.4[1.0]. Clearly it went to 0.0 and not 0.4. I looked at the schedules to book it on aa.com and even the 0.4/week seemed arbitrary.

jbpdx

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:09 am

Icelandair PDX-KEF continues 2x/week (Sun/Fri) until 10 April, 3x/week (Sun/Wed/Fri); 12 May (Sun/Thu/Sat).
The week of 19 May, 4x/week (Mon/Tue/Thu/Sat).
The week of 9 June, 5x/week (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat).
The week of 16 June, 6x/week (Mon—Sat). Trims in October. Season runs at least through 27 December.

N174UA

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:59 am

jbpdx wrote:
Icelandair PDX-KEF continues 2x/week (Sun/Fri) until 10 April, 3x/week (Sun/Wed/Fri); 12 May (Sun/Thu/Sat).
The week of 19 May, 4x/week (Mon/Tue/Thu/Sat).
The week of 9 June, 5x/week (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat).
The week of 16 June, 6x/week (Mon—Sat). Trims in October. Season runs at least through 27 December.

Looks like they're gradually working towards year-round service from PDX...originally it was just 4-5 months when they first started, right?

bigfoot0503

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:19 am

Interesting Delta presence scheduled for Sunday March 31, 2019. Of note, the PDX-AMS flight now transitions to an Airbus A330-300. Both DL179 (AMS-PDX) and DL178 (PDX-AMS) witness the seasonal change to the A330-300. Also of note DL607 (ATL-PDX) and DL608 (PDX-ATL) are shown as operating with a B767-400 (normally B767-300). These DL flights are obviously also in addition to the DL B767-300 (PDX-NRT).

Anyone able to get any photos showing the DL heavies on the ground together???

pdx

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:39 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Interesting Delta presence scheduled for Sunday March 31, 2019. Of note, the PDX-AMS flight now transitions to an Airbus A330-300. Both DL179 (AMS-PDX) and DL178 (PDX-AMS) witness the seasonal change to the A330-300. Also of note DL607 (ATL-PDX) and DL608 (PDX-ATL) are shown as operating with a B767-400 (normally B767-300). These DL flights are obviously also in addition to the DL B767-300 (PDX-NRT).

I guess the A330 upgrade is a coincidence, but the 764 may be due to heavy loads. Almost every flight is
full into PDX on 31MAR due to the end of spring break. Every SEA-PDX flight is SOLD-OUT on Sunday
except for one DL F seat for $898.30 on an A319! I wonder how many flights are overbooked?
Unfortunately the widebody PDX-ATL ends 02APR. Wish it lasted through the summer.

pdxav8r

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:12 am

Makes sense. The 763 was able to be rotated ATL-PDX-AMS, and vice versa. Doubtful DL would have had the same rotation with the A333. Might DL go back to that rotation once the daily LHR begins, ATL-PDX-LHR?

jbpdx

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:59 am

A333 is en route AMS-PDX, arrives at 11:36.
I’m thinking about a Delta PDX-LHR / AMS-PDX trip with Eurostar.

BlatantEcho

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:01 am

Hooray for the A333 back on the job.
Love seeing it on Flightradar.

Got some business colleagues in the U.K. using the LHR flight to come visit our company this year. Working hard to support all the nonstops :)

BlatantEcho

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:01 am

Hooray for the A333 back on the job.
Love seeing it on Flightradar.

Got some business colleagues in the U.K. using the LHR flight to come visit our company this year. Working hard to support all the nonstops :)

jbpdx

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:32 pm

AC PDX-YYZ MAY 0.2>0[0.4] JUN 1.0>0.5[1.0]

So much for Air Canada going daily year round with the A319? WestJet?

ANA787

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:01 pm

jbpdx wrote:

I assume this is due to the max grounding. Hopefully temporary.

AS737MAX

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:24 pm

ANA787 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

jbpdx wrote:

Love how PDX is one of the main airports to get the shaft over the MAX grounding.

bigfoot0503

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

pdx wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

I guess the A330 upgrade is a coincidence, but the 764 may be due to heavy loads. Almost every flight is
full into PDX on 31MAR due to the end of spring break. Every SEA-PDX flight is SOLD-OUT on Sunday
except for one DL F seat for $898.30 on an A319! I wonder how many flights are overbooked?
Unfortunately the widebody PDX-ATL ends 02APR. Wish it lasted through the summer.

I was thinking the same regarding the PDX-ATL 763 service...solid loads throughout the winter and what is typically a slower period for travel. Now unfortunately the PDX-ATL flights go back to the B737-900 for the late spring and summer travel season.

AS737MAX

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
pdx wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

I was thinking the same regarding the PDX-ATL 763 service...solid loads throughout the winter and what is typically a slower period for travel. Now unfortunately the PDX-ATL flights go back to the B737-900 for the late spring and summer travel season.

Probably have to get the 763 back on the weird lower tier European cities for the summer..but we've definitely had it on ATL in summers past

pdxav8r

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:59 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
pdx wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Yet, soon DL usually goes from 3x daily to ATL, to 5x daily, for a net gain in seats.

pdxswa

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:09 pm

Air Canada Rouge is doing the YYZ service.

AS737MAX wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

jbpdx wrote:

Love how PDX is one of the main airports to get the shaft over the MAX grounding.

jbpdx

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:40 am

pdxswa wrote:
Air Canada Rouge is doing the YYZ service.

Doesn’t start until 17 June, that was the confusion. Looked like a cut.

PDXPOL

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 am

jbpdx wrote:

I did a similar trip first year of PDX to LHR. My difference was Eurostar to Paris and a return flight via SLC. But I will say, most of the flight connected back to PDX. So I can't say who I work for but the Port met with Virgin Atlantic again. If you remember they met just a year before DL service. They were very interested according to Bill Wyatt, but had no aircraft available. Since DL was at the table they approached the Port to start seasonal service (impressed with the numbers). I suspect DL will go year round next year.

N174UA

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:28 am

PDXPOL wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I did a similar trip first year of PDX to LHR. My difference was Eurostar to Paris and a return flight via SLC. But I will say, most of the flight connected back to PDX. So I can't say who I work for but the Port met with Virgin Atlantic again. If you remember they met just a year before DL service. They were very interested according to Bill Wyatt, but had no aircraft available. Since DL was at the table they approached the Port to start seasonal service (impressed with the numbers). I suspect DL will go year round next year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if VS eventually operates PDX-LHR year round with the 787, within the next 3-5 years. VS already code shares with DL on the existing DL flight, and DL owns a 49% stake in VS as it is. Several years ago, DL started a SEA-LHR route with a 763, and it was eventually ended and VS started it. Doing so would keep BA away also.

jbpdx

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:05 pm

From another thread,
Noteworthy Aircraft Activity 4/6
333: PDX-AMS rescue flight following previous day's cancellation (N802NW)

Was this in addition to the regular Saturday flight?

BlatantEcho

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:25 pm

^^^
Yes. Two flights flew that day.

flyfresno

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Sun Country has announced LAS-RDM...wowza! Twice per week starting in late summer.

flyoregon

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
flyfresno wrote:
Sun Country has announced LAS-RDM...wowza!

Plus PDX-SAN. Apparently building up LAS and PDX

RWA380

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:26 pm

flyoregon wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
flyfresno wrote:

The EX AS route planner working for SY has sure created an interesting direction for SY, I have to say we, as Oregonians will benefit from their expansion here. RDM was a huge surprise. But I called SAN in the original route announcements from PDX, right when they dropped RNO & picked up SFO. I thought SAN would have been a better use of that aircraft, well now SAN is coming, TUS next?

jbpdx

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:27 pm

ANA787 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
I thought AC was upgrading the route to year-round service from YYZ?

AS737MAX wrote:

Wow! From 97 capacity on the E190 to 120 capacity on the A319. Hopefully their putting Rouge on the route brings the prices down. The timetable seems to still show both flights (AC546 and AC1840) as starting on 25May as if they forgot to remove the former.

Timetable: https://services.aircanada.com/portal/r ... 75DFD72085
Portland is on the far right on page 104.

Yes it is still going year round

Looks like AC PDX-YYZ ends 26 October and the fares are high, ~$900 r/t. With the late start, mid-June, the season is contracted this year.

flyoregon

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:59 pm

RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
flyfresno wrote:

The EX AS route planner working for SY has sure created an interesting direction for SY, I have to say we, as Oregonians will benefit from their expansion here. RDM was a huge surprise. But I called SAN in the original route announcements from PDX, right when they dropped RNO & picked up SFO. I thought SAN would have been a better use of that aircraft, well now SAN is coming, TUS next?

Good call, and a good pick for Sun Country. Tuscon would be a great add or what about SBA?

jbpdx

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:01 pm

RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
flyfresno wrote:

I’m not sure why they’d start PVD-MSY instead of PDX-MSY. MSY has been advocating for a nonstop to PDX for a couple years (therouteshop.com). But PDX-MSY could work for Delta by helping fill seats on the upcoming PDX-HND run. (Delta does overfly hubs.) Also I can’t see SY keeping PDX-SFO especially at only 2x/week. The market is saturated and with low fares. Southwest even pulled out.

This still leaves a bunch of routes seasonally unserved, PDX-BWI, PDX-PHL, PDX-YYZ, and year-round unserved, PDX-MSY, PDX-TPA, PDX-MIA/FLL.

AS737MAX

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:06 am

jbpdx wrote:

There is a fairly large banner advertising Condor's resumption of service at 1st/Harvey Milk. Highly visible from the MAX and faces the river.

Came in from BUR on Saturday night and noticed 2 AS 738s on the ANG ramp. Couldn't particularly tell if they were just getting ready to go or had just come in. Couldn't find anything on flightaware for that night but it was far from an exhaustive search.

Strangely enough too, we parked in between A and B (It was pouring rain so they may have tried to park us as close to the doors as possible, but I'm not sure) right around where SeaPort used to be for a short while.

flyoregon

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 am

AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

There is a fairly large banner advertising Condor's resumption of service at 1st/Harvey Milk. Highly visible from the MAX and faces the river.

Came in from BUR on Saturday night and noticed 2 AS 738s on the ANG ramp. Couldn't particularly tell if they were just getting ready to go or had just come in. Couldn't find anything on flightaware for that night but it was far from an exhaustive search.

Strangely enough too, we parked in between A and B (It was pouring rain so they may have tried to park us as close to the doors as possible, but I'm not sure) right around where SeaPort used to be for a short while.

AS has been using the old reserve ramp for quite a while for RONs. That’s also the hangar that UAL is trying to nab but the Port is making it difficult

AS737MAX

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:54 am

flyoregon wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

AS has been using the old reserve ramp for quite a while for RONs. That’s also the hangar that UAL is trying to nab but the Port is making it difficult

Interesting. Guess I haven't been around much at night. There was a KC-10 there when I left on thursday

BoeingGuy

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 am

RWA380 wrote:
N174UA wrote:
----

Now that is fantastic, I WAS on that plane you were next to, we were parked the gate just East of the where the Concorde parked. One gate down on the river side of what is now D.

We were the only UA DC-8-72 on the ground & were held until the Concorde was in place. We were seated on the right side the aircraft in row 4, if memory serves me right, I am sure 1988 is correct. Very cool that that many years ago, we can pinpoint a time we both shared & all thanks to being a commercial aviation nut.

It was a Friday evening, say about 4:30pm scheduled departure time out of PDX, I remember closing our agency early (I was the manager & my boss was in Africa on Safari) We flew home on Sunday afternoon on NW in F, 742 to 72S SEA.

One note to your always interesting posts. They were DC-8-71s not -72s. UA had DC-8-62s but they were retired before being re-engined.

RWA380

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm

flyoregon wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]

Good call, and a good pick for Sun Country. Tuscon would be a great add or what about SBA?

With SY quite good at operating sub daily flights in almost every market a 2 x weekly to SBA, would not be a bad idea. AS charges a bit of a premium for n/s SBA, I've even flown to BUR & driven, but just once, Oy the traffic.

jbpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]

I’m not sure why they’d start PVD-MSY instead of PDX-MSY. MSY has been advocating for a nonstop to PDX for a couple years (therouteshop.com). But PDX-MSY could work for Delta by helping fill seats on the upcoming PDX-HND run. (Delta does overfly hubs.) Also I can’t see SY keeping PDX-SFO especially at only 2x/week. The market is saturated and with low fares. Southwest even pulled out.

This still leaves a bunch of routes seasonally unserved, PDX-BWI, PDX-PHL, PDX-YYZ, and year-round unserved, PDX-MSY, PDX-TPA, PDX-MIA/FLL.

Right?! I doubt DL will operate PDX-MSY, I could see AS doing it, but they are dealing with the flux of the VX acquisition & keeping up at SEA. Since SY is set up at MIA, I think any So. Florida route would be MIA, although FLL is a much better airport for the Portland area & Northwest.

BoeingGuy wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
N174UA wrote:
----

One note to your always interesting posts. They were DC-8-71s not -72s. UA had DC-8-62s but they were retired before being re-engined.

Thank you, I have made that mistake before. I need to write that down someplace. I appreciate the included information.

Aloha717200

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:19 am

flyfresno wrote:
Sun Country has announced LAS-RDM...wowza! Twice per week starting in late summer.

I'm excited about this, although it does strongly suggest that any plans G4 had of entering RDM are now on hold, at best. That's a shame for me personally as I'd been coaxing them for months to give this route a second chance! Seems they waited too long!

jbpdx

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:41 pm

American’s PDX-CLT nonstop was three hours late last night for the second day in a row. They might need to assign a special customer service rep exclusively for PDX passengers at CLT. In March I missed my connection to PBI by 5 minutes because of the late flight.

CrisAA

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 pm

jbpdx wrote:
American’s PDX-CLT nonstop was three hours late last night for the second day in a row. They might need to assign a special customer service rep exclusively for PDX passengers at CLT. In March I missed my connection to PBI by 5 minutes because of the late flight.

They had storms two days in a row that significantly delayed the inbound aircraft. As of right now that A321 is the only one in the evening so no aircraft swaps are available.

jbpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:52 am

I’ve noticed UPS has been flying 747s PDX-ANC lately, including today.

doug_or

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:06 am

Aloha717200 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

I'm excited about this, although it does strongly suggest that any plans G4 had of entering RDM are now on hold, at best. That's a shame for me personally as I'd been coaxing them for months to give this route a second chance! Seems they waited too long!

Did G4 used to serve RDM-LAS? I remember seeing their MDs in RDM, but only assumed they were going to LAS.
When in doubt, one B pump off

lhpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:15 am

jbpdx wrote:

I've been noticing that for a while now...It seems that every Friday they alternate between a 747-400, 747-800, and an MD-11 on their evening SDF-PDX-ANC routing...........

bigfoot0503

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 pm

lhpdx wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I've been noticing that for a while now...It seems that every Friday they alternate between a 747-400, 747-800, and an MD-11 on their evening SDF-PDX-ANC routing...........

You are indeed correct lhpdx. Notably there are very few US cities in the lower 48 that see a UPS B747...PHL (which has a sizeable UPS distribution facility anyhow) and DEN from time to time. It's been pretty consistent schedule wise to see a UPS B747 every Friday for awhile now.

RWA380

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 am

doug_or wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Did G4 used to serve RDM-LAS? I remember seeing their MDs in RDM, but only assumed they were going to LAS.

I lived in Redmond during the G4 days & yes, LAS & AZA were their two destinations during my stay there, IDK if G4 ever connected California to RDM or not.

pdxswa

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 am

What a nice surprise here at PDX !

lhpdx

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 pm

If

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos