flyoregon

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 am

pdxswa wrote:
What a nice surprise here at PDX !

Very cool. Would have been cool to hear that on the radio.

PacificWest

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 pm

MFR (along with LMT) get 500k each to expand air service...
https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Local ... 20621.html

MFR Airport Director:

"We're looking at bigger cities like Dallas and Chicago that on paper make a lot of sense for us but it's still a little difficult for the airlines to pull the plug because they have other major cities that they could be putting this equipment in," added Brienza. "[The grant is] dangling the carrot out there."

Brienza said the airport is looking to add more cities to its flight list and more airlines.
He said the grant will allow the Medford Airport to pay those airlines if that service to a specific city doesn't make as much money as planned.

"We're hoping not to spend a dime of it but it's really nice to have it in our own back pocket to present to them when they are considering possibly two cities similar in size and which city they are going to go to. We can say we have this money for you to mitigate your risk,"

Given that RDM already has a flight to ORD with fewer annual pax, I think it's likely that UA jumps on this....

flyoregon

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 pm

PacificWest wrote:
MFR (along with LMT) get 500k each to expand air service...
https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Local ... 20621.html

MFR Airport Director:

"We're looking at bigger cities like Dallas and Chicago that on paper make a lot of sense for us but it's still a little difficult for the airlines to pull the plug because they have other major cities that they could be putting this equipment in," added Brienza. "[The grant is] dangling the carrot out there."

Brienza said the airport is looking to add more cities to its flight list and more airlines.
He said the grant will allow the Medford Airport to pay those airlines if that service to a specific city doesn't make as much money as planned.

"We're hoping not to spend a dime of it but it's really nice to have it in our own back pocket to present to them when they are considering possibly two cities similar in size and which city they are going to go to. We can say we have this money for you to mitigate your risk,"

Given that RDM already has a flight to ORD with fewer annual pax, I think it's likely that UA jumps on this....

The ROAR grant for $500k to recruit service to LMT makes sense. LMT is, in fact, a rural destination. Much more rural than MFR. That airport needs a strong carrier to jump on that route and offer real onward connections. From what I've read, OO/UA would be the one to do it with a CR2 to SFO.

So it makes me wonder why MFR is getting grant money. How are they more deserving of money than EUG, RDM, or hell, even SLE? MFR is a solid metro area in Oregon and I wouldn't consider it much of a rural location when you have n/s service to SEA, PDX, SLC, DEN, SFO, LAX, PHX, and LAS. The airport has also seen consistent growth for the last couple of years mainly from United. I suspect if United saw a case for a n/s to ORD from MFR, they would very likely do it, and they probably looked at EUG, RDM, and MFR at the same time and it made more sense to do EUG and RDM first.

If I'm not mistaken, EUG and RDM both received the new ORD route without subsidy of any kind (besides maybe revenue guarantee from the local community?).

I think MFR is amply served for a community it's size, and is doing rather well. I think the $500k should be used on RURAL airports that have limited to no air service whatsoever like LMT, ONP, AST, PDT, and SLE in that order.

kwbl

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 am

With regard to SLE, they have been awarded the 500k ROAR grant and have over $600k privately pledged and will be pursuing a $750k SCASD grant. Meetings with AS,UA, WN next week.

flyoregon

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:54 am

kwbl wrote:
With regard to SLE, they have been awarded the 500k ROAR grant and have over $600k privately pledged and will be pursuing a $750k SCASD grant. Meetings with AS,UA, WN next week.

Source?

Hoping that’s true.

kwbl

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:27 am

Info available at flysle.com

jbpdx

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Looks like Hawaiian has been using the A332 PDX-HNL for weeks and will continue using it at least through August.

ooslc

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:40 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Looks like Hawaiian has been using the A332 PDX-HNL for weeks and will continue using it at least through August.

It should always be this. Tons of my friends fly to Hawaii. Sometimes multiple times a year. It's the best beach vacation for us west coasters without having to leave the country.
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

Dreamflight767

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:03 am

Delete

jbpdx

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:51 pm

ooslc wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

It should always be this. Tons of my friends fly to Hawaii. Sometimes multiple times a year. It's the best beach vacation for us west coasters without having to leave the country.

I knew switching down to the A321 wouldn’t last.

jbpdx

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Air Canada has pushed back the PDX-YYZ nonstop to a 1 July start. Last year it started in mid-May. Fares are high, ~$900 r/t. Maybe WestJet will consider the route year round.

AS737MAX

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:53 am

jbpdx wrote:
Air Canada has pushed back the PDX-YYZ nonstop to a 1 July start. Last year it started in mid-May. Fares are high, ~$900 r/t. Maybe WestJet will consider the route year round.

Interesting. Wonder if it gets pushed back more if the MAX is grounded longer.

Here's the OAG for today, 4/21:

AA DFW-PDX SEP 5>4[5] OCT 5>4[4] NOV 5>4[4] DEC 5>4[4] JAN 5>4[3]
DL MFR-SEA DEC 3>2.0[1.9]
DL PDX-SEA JAN 8>7[7]
SY PDX-SAT JUL 0.5>0.3[0] AUG 0.6>0.3[0]
SY PDX-SFO JUL 0.5>0.8[0] AUG 0.6>0.9[0]
WN MDW-PDX JUN 2>0.5[3]

RWA380

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:27 am

AS737MAX wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Interesting. Wonder if it gets pushed back more if the MAX is grounded longer.

Here's the OAG for today, 4/21:

AA DFW-PDX SEP 5>4[5] OCT 5>4[4] NOV 5>4[4] DEC 5>4[4] JAN 5>4[3]
DL MFR-SEA DEC 3>2.0[1.9]
DL PDX-SEA JAN 8>7[7]
SY PDX-SAT JUL 0.5>0.3[0] AUG 0.6>0.3[0]
SY PDX-SFO JUL 0.5>0.8[0] AUG 0.6>0.9[0]
WN MDW-PDX JUN 2>0.5[3]

With AS 3 x daily to either DAL or DFW, plus AA's 5 flights, going down to 4 daily after peak season, I think WN is 2 x daily to DAL, I think Dallas - Portland is saturated.

I have seen a couple of SEA-PNW routes being reduced to 3 or 2 x daily. I guess this is a better look at what DL can bring to SEA & regional routes, they will not break AS, but will compete okay in some of the slower markets, like GRG or BOI ie ...

As for SAT & SY, I thought this may not have been the best market, but as always I am hopeful any new route started to/from Portland will succeeed. But I also thought SFO was a poor choice as well, given the saturated market & SY is almost daily on it. Best I am not in route planning I guess. I did call SAN & hope it works for SY.

IIRC, WN MDW flight is a Max-8 casualty.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BM BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

bigfoot0503

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:13 am

Just saw this announcement the other day...JetSuiteX service from OAK to BFI (Seattle Boeing Field).
https://www.jetsuitex.com/

I know that many of us have discussed the merits of the Hillsboro Airport and the possibility (albeit a long-shot) at offering passenger service and to serve the ever growing population in the western suburbs of Portland and greater Washington County. JetSuiteX seems to be aptly suited for service out of an airport like Hillsboro, perhaps with a route to the Bay Area or Las Vegas. The infrastructure is more or less in place at HIO (although the recent announcement by the Port of Portland at upgrades to and for a larger terminal facility are optimistic). "High Tech" Air already uses the facility with pretty much the same aircraft.
I do understand that there would likely be some push-back from the Hillsboro community towards an airline such as JetSuiteX stepping in. Though the reality is that much of the "steps and motions" already happen 5 days a week with the Embraer flights for Intel employees.

Dreamflight767

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Just saw this announcement the other day...JetSuiteX service from OAK to BFI (Seattle Boeing Field).
https://www.jetsuitex.com/

I know that many of us have discussed the merits of the Hillsboro Airport and the possibility (albeit a long-shot) at offering passenger service and to serve the ever growing population in the western suburbs of Portland and greater Washington County. JetSuiteX seems to be aptly suited for service out of an airport like Hillsboro, perhaps with a route to the Bay Area or Las Vegas. The infrastructure is more or less in place at HIO (although the recent announcement by the Port of Portland at upgrades to and for a larger terminal facility are optimistic). "High Tech" Air already uses the facility with pretty much the same aircraft.
I do understand that there would likely be some push-back from the Hillsboro community towards an airline such as JetSuiteX stepping in. Though the reality is that much of the "steps and motions" already happen 5 days a week with the Embraer flights for Intel employees.

The thought of HIO with established scheduled service is never going to happen. To put it simply, the Port of Portland is a mafia; they have control and they know it. To make matters worse, Washington County nor the City of Hillsboro want any expenses, responsibility, more over liability of operating the airport. HIO to the Port is an ugly, annoying, black sheep, expensive, hated, step child - to be honest, most Port employees don't even know where HIO is let alone exists. The Port will DO NOTHING to spend its own money or resources (especially from the PDX pot of $$) at Hillsboro. Any improvements/upgrades must come from grants or federal funds. Their crown jewel is PDX and they will do everything to keep it that way.

This is no different than the way Los Angeles World Airports treated ONT (LAWA kept the landing/operating fees at ONT extremely high). However City of ONT wanted air service. And when the City of ONT tried to gang control of ONT from LAWA, LAWA fought tooth and nail to squash it - eliminate competition.

jbpdx

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:24 pm

Growth at PDX has stalled. In March 2019 total passenger traffic was up a paltry 1.1%. The lack of commitment from ULCCs and absence of new nonstops to fill unserved routes is taking its toll. Fewer people are willing to take 8-hour connecting flights to and from unserved or underserved (seasonal only) east of the Mississippi cities.

flyoregon

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 am

jbpdx wrote:
Growth at PDX has stalled. In March 2019 total passenger traffic was up a paltry 1.1%. The lack of commitment from ULCCs and absence of new nonstops to fill unserved routes is taking its toll. Fewer people are willing to take 8-hour connecting flights to and from unserved or underserved (seasonal only) east of the Mississippi cities.

I don't think the lack of ULCC has much to do with it. New destinations and unserved routes I think does, but I don't think it's that fewer people are less inclined to make a connecting flight, I just think less people are flying as the economy begin to slow a bit.

flashmeister

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
To put it simply, the Port of Portland is a mafia; they have control and they know it. To make matters worse, Washington County nor the City of Hillsboro want any expenses, responsibility, more over liability of operating the airport. HIO to the Port is an ugly, annoying, black sheep, expensive, hated, step child - to be honest, most Port employees don't even know where HIO is let alone exists. The Port will DO NOTHING to spend its own money or resources (especially from the PDX pot of $$) at Hillsboro. Any improvements/upgrades must come from grants or federal funds.

This is simply not the case. I know, because I’ve worked for some of the jurisdictions you mention. HIO, like most airports, receives significant federal funding, but it requires local matching. The Port is even throwing in a substantial amount of its own money in the upcoming HIO runway project because the FAA wouldn’t fund the entire 150-foot runway width. So the Port is paying the remainder with its own funds.

It’s true that HIO will never be PDX, but your characterization is just simply inaccurate.

N174UA

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 am

jbpdx wrote:

I'd like to see what makes up this net 1.1% growth for March before agreeing that "growth at PDX has stalled". Remember also the MAX issues (WN at PDX) and then also some bad weather in PDX and around the country that caused cancellations, too. The travel season doesn't really start in earnest in the PDX market until April/May, anyhow.

pnwpdx

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:26 pm

N174UA wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I'd like to see what makes up this net 1.1% growth for March before agreeing that "growth at PDX has stalled". Remember also the MAX issues (WN at PDX) and then also some bad weather in PDX and around the country that caused cancellations, too. The travel season doesn't really start in earnest in the PDX market until April/May, anyhow.

Though PDX only grew 1.1%, I think there were some highlights as well. International passengers down -3.3%, but this is due to Aeromexico leaving. That 3.3% accounts for about a -2,000 passenger swing and this time last year, Aeromexico handled about 6,400 passengers which if you think about it, that -3.3% isn't all that bad. With Icelandair starting earlier and adding some more frequency, hopefully we can bounce back, though they are down -29.9% from year over year.

Some positives though is SunCountry, growing a whopping 5859.3%!! :spin: Spirit growing significantly at 120.6% and 84.6% year to date! And another big mover is Delta Airlines growing 17.5% year over year and 14.9% year to date.

For those curious, here's the link: https://popcdn.azureedge.net/pdfs/Mar2019webstats.pdf
Next Flight:
PDX-LAX-DFW-SLC-PDX on DL

N174UA

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:00 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
N174UA wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Though PDX only grew 1.1%, I think there were some highlights as well. International passengers down -3.3%, but this is due to Aeromexico leaving. That 3.3% accounts for about a -2,000 passenger swing and this time last year, Aeromexico handled about 6,400 passengers which if you think about it, that -3.3% isn't all that bad. With Icelandair starting earlier and adding some more frequency, hopefully we can bounce back, though they are down -29.9% from year over year.

Some positives though is SunCountry, growing a whopping 5859.3%!! :spin: Spirit growing significantly at 120.6% and 84.6% year to date! And another big mover is Delta Airlines growing 17.5% year over year and 14.9% year to date.

For those curious, here's the link: https://popcdn.azureedge.net/pdfs/Mar2019webstats.pdf

Thank you for the explanations below that better support what is behind the +1.1%. Also, my understanding is that PDX-LHR on DL goes daily this year, though still seasonal (May-October), which is new and should more than offset Aeromexico leaving. April should be a much better number, which will factor in Spring break travel, and with nice weather, more folks traveling.

jbpdx

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:56 pm

Domestic summer cutbacks and updated summer seasonal schedules at PDX

*Southwest

PDX-MDW cut to 0x/daily from 3x/daily from 9 June through 5 August when it resumes 2x/daily.
PDX-MCI restart has been pushed back to 9 June. (Alaska and Southwest both suspended PDX-MCI in mid-April.)
PDX-BWI cut to Sat+Sun only, down from daily seasonal. Operates 8 June-4 August (18 flights total for season).
PDX-HOU operates daily 9 June-5 August.

*Alaska

PDX-MCI restarts daily 16 May.
PDX-BWI operates daily 6 June-26 August.
PDX-PHL operates daily 6 June-26 August.

*American

PDX-PHL operates daily 6 June-19 August.

*Air Canada Rouge

PDX-YYZ operates daily 21 June-26 October.

lhpdx

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:23 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Domestic summer cutbacks and updated summer seasonal schedules at PDX

*Southwest

PDX-MDW cut to 0x/daily from 3x/daily from 9 June through 5 August when it resumes 2x/daily.
PDX-MCI restart has been pushed back to 9 June. (Alaska and Southwest both suspended PDX-MCI in mid-April.)
PDX-BWI cut to Sat+Sun only, down from daily seasonal. Operates 8 June-4 August (18 flights total for season).
PDX-HOU operates daily 9 June-5 August.

*Alaska

PDX-MCI restarts daily 16 May.
PDX-BWI operates daily 6 June-26 August.
PDX-PHL operates daily 6 June-26 August.

Thanks for the summer update Jbpdx!!
*American

PDX-PHL operates daily 6 June-19 August.

*Air Canada Rouge

PDX-YYZ operates daily 21 June-26 October.

pdxav8r

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 pm

N174UA wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

AA also had issues with their MAX here at PDX. The ORD flight was cancelled for about a month, and the early PHX flight has been cancelled on occasion. Interesting enough, in the SMF thread, they are setting records at 9% growth, with WN being a major player there, yet had to have their share of cancellations. Think they had some recent route expansions though.

pnwpdx

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:58 pm

N174UA wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:
N174UA wrote:

Thank you for the explanations below that better support what is behind the +1.1%. Also, my understanding is that PDX-LHR on DL goes daily this year, though still seasonal (May-October), which is new and should more than offset Aeromexico leaving. April should be a much better number, which will factor in Spring break travel, and with nice weather, more folks traveling.

I'm excited to see how they do this summer going daily. I hope they continue their service eventually during the winter months with 3x or 4x weekly. Just looking at some random flights during the summer, their loads look pretty darn good. Also, I've seen some Condor adds roaming around the city as well. Hope they do well.
Next Flight:

Dreamflight767

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:59 pm

flashmeister wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
To put it simply, the Port of Portland is a mafia; they have control and they know it. To make matters worse, Washington County nor the City of Hillsboro want any expenses, responsibility, more over liability of operating the airport. HIO to the Port is an ugly, annoying, black sheep, expensive, hated, step child - to be honest, most Port employees don't even know where HIO is let alone exists. The Port will DO NOTHING to spend its own money or resources (especially from the PDX pot of $$) at Hillsboro. Any improvements/upgrades must come from grants or federal funds.

This is simply not the case. I know, because I’ve worked for some of the jurisdictions you mention. HIO, like most airports, receives significant federal funding, but it requires local matching. The Port is even throwing in a substantial amount of its own money in the upcoming HIO runway project because the FAA wouldn’t fund the entire 150-foot runway width. So the Port is paying the remainder with its own funds.

It’s true that HIO will never be PDX, but your characterization is just simply inaccurate.

Thank you for your response & insight but I still have to disagree with your comments.

The airport itself makes no money. Monies used to maintain the airport come from rents collected by the lands and properties adjacent the airport which Port owns. That's why HIO never sees any improvements only maintenance projects.

Furthermore, as you stated, the FAA is only paying for part of the RWY project. So the Port's plan was to simply narrow the big RWY by 50'. However, some of the more "well connected" users complained and strong armed the Port into funding the entire, current length and width refurbishment. That's why the project was delayed (by at least) the past 2 years; the Port was dragging it's feet.

So, I stand-by my statement, the Port hates HIO and will not make any improvements/upgrades - especially if the money is to come out of its own pocket.

AS737MAX

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
N174UA wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

I'm excited to see how they do this summer going daily. I hope they continue their service eventually during the winter months with 3x or 4x weekly. Just looking at some random flights during the summer, their loads look pretty darn good. Also, I've seen some Condor adds roaming around the city as well. Hope they do well.

Speaking of which, I just got into PDX on the WestJet inaugural from YYC. Flight was about half full, will post pictures when I get home

flashmeister

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Dreamflight767 wrote:
flashmeister wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Thank you for your response & insight but I still have to disagree with your comments.

The airport itself makes no money. Monies used to maintain the airport come from rents collected by the lands and properties adjacent the airport which Port owns. That's why HIO never sees any improvements only maintenance projects.

Furthermore, as you stated, the FAA is only paying for part of the RWY project. So the Port's plan was to simply narrow the big RWY by 50'. However, some of the more "well connected" users complained and strong armed the Port into funding the entire, current length and width refurbishment. That's why the project was delayed (by at least) the past 2 years; the Port was dragging it's feet.

So, I stand-by my statement, the Port hates HIO and will not make any improvements/upgrades - especially if the money is to come out of its own pocket.

What specific improvements would you want to see at HIO? We got a new runway in the recent past that needed a local match from the Port. Seems like that’s a pretty significant upgrade. What else do you think needs upgrading out there?

Or are you just upset that there’s not commercial service there? It’s not like the city/county/port can just wave a wand and build a terminal and expect commercial service to show up.

RWA380

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:13 pm

flashmeister wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:
flashmeister wrote:

What specific improvements would you want to see at HIO? We got a new runway in the recent past that needed a local match from the Port. Seems like that’s a pretty significant upgrade. What else do you think needs upgrading out there?

Or are you just upset that there’s not commercial service there? It’s not like the city/county/port can just wave a wand and build a terminal and expect commercial service to show up.

There are several of us, who live in the HIO area & some of us feel, it's time for HIO to be the PAE to Portland OR. Any airline that has shown interest in serving HIO has been told that a facility would be at their expense, as I've watched this debate come & go over the decades, there was once commercial service out of HIO on Far West Airlines - http://www.departedflights.com/FAR120379.html

QX was trying to start Q-200 service with a 4 x daily service to SEA with connections to AS & partner carrier destinations, but wasn't going to build a terminal adequete enough with parking. I do not think there is the room to build much of anything, but a small 2 gate terminal could happen. The questions remains, is there enough demand? I see the growth out west & think places like Newberg, Dundee & McMinnville would use HIO & would those of us in Unincorporated Washington County with Portland addresses, as well as the Forest Grove, Cornelius, Hillsboro, Aloha, Beaverton, Tigard & Lake O.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BM BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

AS737MAX

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 am

RWA380 wrote:
flashmeister wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

There are several of us, who live in the HIO area & some of us feel, it's time for HIO to be the PAE to Portland OR. Any airline that has shown interest in serving HIO has been told that a facility would be at their expense, as I've watched this debate come & go over the decades, there was once commercial service out of HIO on Far West Airlines - http://www.departedflights.com/FAR120379.html

QX was trying to start Q-200 service with a 4 x daily service to SEA with connections to AS & partner carrier destinations, but wasn't going to build a terminal adequete enough with parking. I do not think there is the room to build much of anything, but a small 2 gate terminal could happen. The questions remains, is there enough demand? I see the growth out west & think places like Newberg, Dundee & McMinnville would use HIO & would those of us in Unincorporated Washington County with Portland addresses, as well as the Forest Grove, Cornelius, Hillsboro, Aloha, Beaverton, Tigard & Lake O.

While I too would be ecstatic to see QX at HIO, I think we're a couple decades and a couple of planes past it coming to fruition. I think the only significant addition could be an actual private jet terminal, but i'm not sure if Intel alone would want to foot the bill/compete with the other FBOs at the field.

As for the WR inaugural today, it was about half full, maybe 35-40 on the 78-seater Q400 (AC's are 74/78 and QX's are 76). Boarding started a little late but at E75 at YYC. There wasn't too much going on but there was fruit, cold cuts, muffins, and crackers along with coffee and water. The flight today was flown by C-FWEW, a Q400 originally delivered to Island Air in December 2016 but to WestJet in April 2018.

Flight time was 1 hour and 43 minutes. Pictures here at the link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WEN3628. We parked at D4 and had the jetway lowered down. It looks like WR's counter is left of Alaska's at the far south end.

PacificWest

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 am

United appears to have upgauged MFR-LAX from a CRJ2 to an E175 for the majority of recent and upcoming flights -- which they fly 2x per day.

Not sure if this is a temporary, seasonal, permanent, or what...

Regardless, with AA flying this route daily, and Allegiant flying it 3-4x per week -- looks like this a very strong market for MFR.

bigfoot0503

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:47 am

PacificWest wrote:
United appears to have upgauged MFR-LAX from a CRJ2 to an E175 for the majority of recent and upcoming flights -- which they fly 2x per day.

Regardless, with AA flying this route daily, and Allegiant flying it 3-4x per week -- looks like this a very strong market for MFR.

Nice to see the positive growth continue at MFR!

Another Oregon airport worth mentioning is Redmond/Bend...in addition to the upcoming UA n/s flights from RDM to Chicago ORD, it appears that one UA flight per day between RDM and Denver is being operated by United using an Airbus A319. Not sure if this information has been previously discussed here in the Oregon thread??

Great progress for RDM...the booming Central Oregon airport has much to tout:
1) New non-stop United Express flight to Chicago ORD using the E175.
2) Several Alaska flights are presently or will be upguaged to the E175 from the Q400....Redmond to Seattle has already seen this change for awhile now on at least 2-3 daily flights (the summer AS schedule shows at least 1 RDM-PDX flight being operated by an E175).
3) New UA mainline upgauge on 1 daily RDM to Denver flight.
4) Recent announcement by Sun Country offering a seasonal RDM-LAS non-stop (begins after summer travel season)

WolfPDX

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:52 am

Hope to see some bigger Westjet aircraft sooner or later to other destinations.

PacificWest

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
PacificWest wrote:

Nice to see the positive growth continue at MFR!

Another Oregon airport worth mentioning is Redmond/Bend...in addition to the upcoming UA n/s flights from RDM to Chicago ORD, it appears that one UA flight per day between RDM and Denver is being operated by United using an Airbus A319. Not sure if this information has been previously discussed here in the Oregon thread??

Great progress for RDM...the booming Central Oregon airport has much to tout:
1) New non-stop United Express flight to Chicago ORD using the E175.
2) Several Alaska flights are presently or will be upguaged to the E175 from the Q400....Redmond to Seattle has already seen this change for awhile now on at least 2-3 daily flights (the summer AS schedule shows at least 1 RDM-PDX flight being operated by an E175).
3) New UA mainline upgauge on 1 daily RDM to Denver flight.
4) Recent announcement by Sun Country offering a seasonal RDM-LAS non-stop (begins after summer travel season)

RDM's growth over the last couple years has been crazy, and the newer residents in the area tend to bring a nice nest egg and/or disposable income with them. I think United is wise to get out in front of the growth there.

Looking at growth from 2014-2018, MFR and RDM are outpacing EUG -- which is not surprising given former both have more geographic isolation, and lots of EUG-area residents make the drive to PDX.

Ten years from now I be surprised to see MFR overtake EUG, and RDM to overtake both.

jbpdx

Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Interesting comparison on flights/fares at PDX vs. SEA.
Checking flights to MCI, 6 May return 9 May, Alaska is charging $1,014 PDX-MCI one-stop via SEA vs. $547 SEA-MCI nonstop. (PDX-MCI nonstops currently suspended.)
PDX-PHL, 20 May return 23 May, Delta is charging $886 r/t one-stop; SEA-PHL American $624 nonstop. There are four nonstops SEA-PHL, zero PDX-PHL.
More transcon comparisons to come.

flyoregon

Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 am

It’ll be interesting to see what SunCountry does going forward in Portland. Ben Brookman (who I would consider the reason for the PDX buildup) is at Amazon Air now.

midway7

Thu May 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Regarding Sun Country, I heard earlier this year they were looking to bring in a station manager once again. My understanding was the position was eliminated last year in a downsizing? Also, earlier this year, the company asked their unions if they could locate a crew base at PDX. Have not heard anything since, however, the number of departures seems to be up this summer.

pdxswa

Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Southern Air 3603 taxiing into south cargo. Welcome to PDX Prime Air !

AS737MAX

Sun May 05, 2019 4:36 pm

OAG for 5/5

DL JFK-PDX DEC 1.8>1.3[1.2
DL MFR-SEA NOV 3>2.0[1.9]
DL PDX-SEA JAN 7>8[7] FEB 7>8[7]
UA DEN-RDM NOV 3>2[2.0] DEC 3>2[2] JAN 3>2[2] FEB 3>2[2]
UA EUG-SFO NOV 5>4[4
UA LAX-MFR NOV 2>3[2.0] DEC 2>3[2] JAN 2>3[2] FEB 2>3[1.9]

lhpdx

Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
OAG for 5/5

UA EUG-SFO NOV 5>4[4

Thanks for the update AS737MAX!!

BlatantEcho

Sun May 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Looks like today is the first day of FRA-PDX ops on Condor. Currently airborne over Greenland.

I believe LHR-PDX kicks off next week, I think the 11th too.

Very glad to see these again.

flyoregon

Mon May 06, 2019 3:48 am

Did Icelandair change their mind on same day turnarounds? PDX still has it overnighting

pdx

Mon May 06, 2019 8:38 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
Looks like today is the first day of FRA-PDX ops on Condor. Currently airborne over Greenland.

PDX-LHR starts 5/9. Plane comes from ATL. LHR-PDX starts 5/10. That may be the last 763 ride
ATL-PDX for a while.

RWA380

Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 am

lhpdx wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
OAG for 5/5

UA EUG-SFO NOV 5>4[4

Yeah, thanks for keeping this legacy alive, it seemed more important to me (when I was doing it, but passed over to lhpdx) Whomever does it, our community is grateful.

Honestly, I can see both UA building up their presence at all 5 Oregon commercial airports they serve, not even QX serves as many. The fact that UA is expanding in these areas up here in the Northwest is a good indicator of the booming economy up there, UA needs a bigger presence at PDX for UA, go back to the regional hub was for UA in thew= 70's & 80's with 7 flights a day to SEA from PDX & some left minutes apart, on the same carrier.

I'd love to see UA seasonal flights operate year round, upgauged lift to key gateways & re-adding PDX-LAX on 4 daily A-319 mainline jets, no one liked the little CRJ's that UA flew before. I'd also like to see UA add PDX to FRA in time. I'd like to see flight 48 & 49 operating again PDX-HNL-PDX, instead of the DC-10's, I think the 737-900ER will do fine. Imagine a all three RDM/MFR/EUG-ORD or even a MFR-EUG-EWR bringing those massively growing regions a one connect to a large amount of Europe & Asia via both EWR or SFO & a lesser extent DEN. QX will have a tough time keeping up.

I know AAG, big gorilla UA gets crushred Or ???

AS737MAX

Mon May 06, 2019 2:29 pm

RWA380 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
OAG for 5/5

UA EUG-SFO NOV 5>4[4

Yeah, thanks for keeping this legacy alive, it seemed more important to me (when I was doing it, but passed over to lhpdx) Whomever does it, our community is grateful.

Honestly, I can see both UA building up their presence at all 5 Oregon commercial airports they serve, not even QX serves as many. The fact that UA is expanding in these areas up here in the Northwest is a good indicator of the booming economy up there, UA needs a bigger presence at PDX for UA, go back to the regional hub was for UA in thew= 70's & 80's with 7 flights a day to SEA from PDX & some left minutes apart, on the same carrier.

I'd love to see UA seasonal flights operate year round, upgauged lift to key gateways & re-adding PDX-LAX on 4 daily A-319 mainline jets, no one liked the little CRJ's that UA flew before. I'd also like to see UA add PDX to FRA in time. I'd like to see flight 48 & 49 operating again PDX-HNL-PDX, instead of the DC-10's, I think the 737-900ER will do fine. Imagine a all three RDM/MFR/EUG-ORD or even a MFR-EUG-EWR bringing those massively growing regions a one connect to a large amount of Europe & Asia via both EWR or SFO & a lesser extent DEN. QX will have a tough time keeping up.

Not a problem! Dream big dreams! No doubt UA has the space available to make such moves, and while AAG has maintained their level of service over the last 24-36 months, I feel like they've become slightly complacent. While the now departed Ben Brookman (sp?) built up SY, it shows that there's room for growth by other airlines that AS can't necessarily compete with. I'm leaving SLC this afternoon, but had flown in for the Timbers game, and got a great r/t deal on WN for less than one way on AS, not to mention the AS flight times were horrendous. I think there's still room for growth all across the board, but it's very much a waiting game.

pnwpdx

Mon May 06, 2019 5:28 pm

pdx wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

PDX-LHR starts 5/9. Plane comes from ATL. LHR-PDX starts 5/10. That may be the last 763 ride
ATL-PDX for a while.

Are they not doing a 763 from ATL during the summer anymore? I know that was a thing last year and I know that JFK-PDX was also a 763 during the summer months a couple of summers ago.
Next Flight:

dc10lover

Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm

RWA380 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
OAG for 5/5

UA EUG-SFO NOV 5>4[4

If you want to fly all over the World, you fly UA out of SFO. Flying AS to Seattle & Portland, you are mainly flying to those 2 cities.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

jbpdx

Mon May 06, 2019 6:49 pm

I don’t see United adding anything from PDX, certainly not PDX-LAX, which already has 18 roundtrips a day on AS, AA, DL and WN. United still doesn’t even fly year round to IAD. PDX needs unserved routes filled and I doubt United will provide anything there.

bigfoot0503

Mon May 06, 2019 9:32 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
pdx wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

ATL-PDX for a while.

Are they not doing a 763 from ATL during the summer anymore? I know that was a thing last year and I know that JFK-PDX was also a 763 during the summer months a couple of summers ago.

As far as what I've seen the DL summer schedule for PDX looks rather unremarkable. Not only are no 763's scheduled (as was the case last summer on PDX-ATL), I'm not even seeing any 757's on the schedules...unless I've missed something. It appears the majority of flights are on the B737-900's, which I really detest on DL going to points any further than SLC, I simply don't find the DL configuration on those aircraft very comfortable. It is true that in prior summer travel seasons that the PDX-JFK route was served with the 763 and the occasional 757. PDX won't even see the DL A321 this summer as we did last year on several flights.

The only upside for this summer that I can tout is that DL has done a fairly decent job of developing the PDX-LAX route...in that they began the route several years ago with mostly the E175 and occasional B717. As time progressed and the PDX traveling public embraced the route, DL did away with the E175's and went strictly B717's. Now the route has developed enough that DL has scheduled a mix of the A319, B717 and B737-800. The other upside to this summer with DL is of course that PDX-LHR is going daily.

jplatts

Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 pm

jbpdx wrote:
United still doesn’t even fly year round to IAD. PDX needs unserved routes filled and I doubt United will provide anything there.

While AS doesn't currently serve IAD nonstop from PDX, AS could add PDX-IAD nonstop service since AS already serves IAD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos